Password
Novus_'s Avatar Novus_
06-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus_ View Post
PART 1

After TOOL:

Superjam
- John Paul Jones, baby! I was hoping to see him join TOOL for “No Quarter,” but at least I got to see him on stage during this show. Maybe if TOOL played Saturday they would have been able to pull it off (considering he played with like half the bands on Saturday)? Guess we’ll never know.

We all went home after this performance. It was late and we were pretty tired.

{{{ SATURDAY }}}

We slept in a bit to recover from a long night out. Finally, we made our way to Centeroo again.

In order of appearance:

Ziggy Marley
- We missed the first half of his set, but what we saw was
pretty good. Heard a few Bob Marley covers.

Xavier Rudd
- I had never heard of him before, but this was an awesome show. I went to his autograph session and got him to sign my Bonnaroo booklet and got a picture with him. This festival is all about finding new music, and I definitely did with Xavier.

Ween / Spoon
- Went to a few songs for each of these bands.

The Police
- It’s always a pleasure to see a band that’s been around
for so long and has had an influence on so many people. I think almost all of the 80,000 people at Bonnaroo were there for at least a little bit of the performance that night. Huge crowd.

The Flaming Lips
- All the balloons and lights and stuff are neat and interesting to watch, but the music was painful to listen to. Seriously…I don’t get it. And, the lead singer talked way too much. I don’t need to hear Flaming Lips Philosophy 101. They definitely weren’t my style. We left early.

Galactic
- Another awesome show from a not so familiar band at Bonnaroo. I needed a pick-me-up after The Flaming Lips, and this was it.

Sasha & John Digweed
- These guys put on an awesome giant rave way later into the night, or early morning. The performance finally ended around 3:30 or 4 in the morning, and only one of my friends and myself were able to keep going. I was exhausted, but everyone else in the group had gone back to the RV, so we win at life.

{{{ SUNDAY }}}

We woke up with our chests and noses feeling a bit congested, and we were a little slower than the previous day. Bonnaroo was starting to catch up to us a bit. Though, it was our last afternoon of fun so we had to push on. It was also the hottest and dustiest day of the weekend, which made it difficult to stand outside for some of the bands. Thank god for the giant fountain raining life-saving water down on all the sun-dried hippies. It was very refreshing.

In order of appearance:

John Butler Trio
- My third time seeing them live, and one of the reasons why I came to Bonnaroo this year (besides TOOL). They didn’t disappoint, and were one of the top shows for the weekend. I also got to meet the band and get their autographs later in the day.

Wolfmother / The White Stripes / North Mississippi All-Stars
- We went to a few songs for each of these guys before calling it a day and packing up the RV.

What a weekend. I’m still exhausted, sunburned, and even a bit sick (and I'm still refusing to shave my beard -- those guys at work will have to deal). It was worth every second. My friends and I just completed an amazing 10-day experience following TOOL around and we were able to top it off at the greatest music and arts festival in America: BONNAROO! It just doesn’t get any better than that. :)

[[[ SIDE NOTE TO BONNAROO ]]]

Brightwell and I tried to meet up several times throughout the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn’t anticipate Cingular blowing ass for cell phone coverage, so I didn’t get a lot of his messages until an hour or so after he had sent them. Also, it was pretty much impossible for me just to make a simple phone call, so the first afternoon in Centeroo all of my crew ended up going to shows alone because we had no idea where anyone was. I was also supposed to call a friend of mine from college once I got to Bonnaroo, but that ended up not happening because of the cell phone problem. So, lesson learned. That seemed to be the only real complaint we had throughout the weekend. Well, besides the dust.

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

Quote:
PART 1

After TOOL:

Superjam
- John Paul Jones, baby! I was hoping to see him join TOOL for “No Quarter,” but at least I got to see him on stage during this show. Maybe if TOOL played Saturday they would have been able to pull it off (considering he played with like half the bands on Saturday)? Guess we’ll never know.

We all went home after this performance. It was late and we were pretty tired.

{{{ SATURDAY }}}

We slept in a bit to recover from a long night out. Finally, we made our way to Centeroo again.

In order of appearance:

Ziggy Marley
- We missed the first half of his set, but what we saw was
pretty good. Heard a few Bob Marley covers.

Xavier Rudd
- I had never heard of him before, but this was an awesome show. I went to his autograph session and got him to sign my Bonnaroo booklet and got a picture with him. This festival is all about finding new music, and I definitely did with Xavier.

Ween / Spoon
- Went to a few songs for each of these bands.

The Police
- It’s always a pleasure to see a band that’s been around
for so long and has had an influence on so many people. I think almost all of the 80,000 people at Bonnaroo were there for at least a little bit of the performance that night. Huge crowd.

The Flaming Lips
- All the balloons and lights and stuff are neat and interesting to watch, but the music was painful to listen to. Seriously…I don’t get it. And, the lead singer talked way too much. I don’t need to hear Flaming Lips Philosophy 101. They definitely weren’t my style. We left early.

Galactic
- Another awesome show from a not so familiar band at Bonnaroo. I needed a pick-me-up after The Flaming Lips, and this was it.

Sasha & John Digweed
- These guys put on an awesome giant rave way later into the night, or early morning. The performance finally ended around 3:30 or 4 in the morning, and only one of my friends and myself were able to keep going. I was exhausted, but everyone else in the group had gone back to the RV, so we win at life.

{{{ SUNDAY }}}

We woke up with our chests and noses feeling a bit congested, and we were a little slower than the previous day. Bonnaroo was starting to catch up to us a bit. Though, it was our last afternoon of fun so we had to push on. It was also the hottest and dustiest day of the weekend, which made it difficult to stand outside for some of the bands. Thank god for the giant fountain raining life-saving water down on all the sun-dried hippies. It was very refreshing.

In order of appearance:

John Butler Trio
- My third time seeing them live, and one of the reasons why I came to Bonnaroo this year (besides TOOL). They didn’t disappoint, and were one of the top shows for the weekend. I also got to meet the band and get their autographs later in the day.

Wolfmother / The White Stripes / North Mississippi All-Stars
- We went to a few songs for each of these guys before calling it a day and packing up the RV.

What a weekend. I’m still exhausted, sunburned, and even a bit sick (and I'm still refusing to shave my beard -- those guys at work will have to deal). It was worth every second. My friends and I just completed an amazing 10-day experience following TOOL around and we were able to top it off at the greatest music and arts festival in America: BONNAROO! It just doesn’t get any better than that. :)

[[[ SIDE NOTE TO BONNAROO ]]]

Brightwell and I tried to meet up several times throughout the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn’t anticipate Cingular blowing ass for cell phone coverage, so I didn’t get a lot of his messages until an hour or so after he had sent them. Also, it was pretty much impossible for me just to make a simple phone call, so the first afternoon in Centeroo all of my crew ended up going to shows alone because we had no idea where anyone was. I was also supposed to call a friend of mine from college once I got to Bonnaroo, but that ended up not happening because of the cell phone problem. So, lesson learned. That seemed to be the only real complaint we had throughout the weekend. Well, besides the dust.

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2
OFFLINE |  
tomatoms's Avatar tomatoms
06-19-2007, 10:31 PM

flaming lips were lame. their music is lame. i've seen them twice, enjoyed neither. tool makes music with substance, with spirit, music that is moving. flaming lips make half ass shit-out songs and fill their stage with distractions to take people's attention off their lack of musicianship. i mean..the bubble.. come on. it was more like a circus than a music event. They did the same things at lollapalooza, and i was barely amused then. F the FLips. TOOL knocked those hippies on their asses.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

flaming lips were lame. their music is lame. i've seen them twice, enjoyed neither. tool makes music with substance, with spirit, music that is moving. flaming lips make half ass shit-out songs and fill their stage with distractions to take people's attention off their lack of musicianship. i mean..the bubble.. come on. it was more like a circus than a music event. They did the same things at lollapalooza, and i was barely amused then. F the FLips. TOOL knocked those hippies on their asses.
06-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Tool was clearly the best show at Bonnaroo, but the Flaming Lips were really good too...It does upset me when people say they were better than Tool, but they were good on their own merit...My top 10 goes something like this

Tool
Gogol Bordello
Mute Math
The Flaming Lips
The White Stripes
The Roots
Aesop Rock
The Brazilian Girls
The Decemberists
El-P
Old 06-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

Tool was clearly the best show at Bonnaroo, but the Flaming Lips were really good too...It does upset me when people say they were better than Tool, but they were good on their own merit...My top 10 goes something like this

Tool
Gogol Bordello
Mute Math
The Flaming Lips
The White Stripes
The Roots
Aesop Rock
The Brazilian Girls
The Decemberists
El-P
OFFLINE |  
soberus96
06-20-2007, 06:38 AM

Tool rocked w/ flood and the pot but what about Slip? They were bad ass as well!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Tool rocked w/ flood and the pot but what about Slip? They were bad ass as well!!!!
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The interesting thing I noticed throughout this concert was that TOOL seemed to not put in any of the long segues they had been doing. Also, there was no set break before Wings. This is when they sit on stage for a few minutes while the crowd holds up their lighters. They could have easily used this exact set-list and stretched it to 11:30, but instead chose to end at 11:00. That’s why I thought they were trying to hurry up and get in more songs. My friend and I were discussing this notion after we observed them hammering out the songs a bit quicker than normal. Strange, but maybe they had to leave the venue early? Or, just really don’t like to play that long?

This is exactly the thoughts and hope that jumped into my drugged out mind during the set. I guess a combination of factors were really getting my hopes up for something new and when they were very clearly speeding through the set I thought for a moment it had to be in order to fit in more stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast during the show, but at the same time I realized that you really only get to see Tool for the first time your first time and sorry, but that's a little sad. It's like knowing you'll never have an experience like your first psychedelic trip again.

That being said, the band was definitely very accurate, precise, and kick ass as always. It just hit me hard to realize that I can't really expect to have my world rocked like that first time.

Over all Bonnaroo encapsulated quite a series of dissapointing events, so the opinion is a bit biased, but come on. I'm sure the band, for all they talk about how much playing these songs night after night is exhausting and how difficult it is to continue to play them with the same passion and personality, you'd think they would want to switch it up more.

Another thought I've had is acknowledging the fact that Danny is still recovering. During the intermissions at the past 2 shows i saw prior to this, he had an ice pack on his arm the whole time. It's probably extremely painful for him to play long sets.

And this may just be my imagination, but I feel like while the videos are mostly the same each show, they've actually been unique in the ways that they are cut and made to reflect and "respond" to the music.

The laser show has been consistent the past 4 times I've seen them, but the videos are evolving in different ways. They could change up the set lists and still put on a sensory overload of the same caliber.

I will say this though, just so I don't come off as hating on the set: I'm downloading a bootleg of the show just so i can hear Morello's beautiful reworkings. If not for that, I would better treasure a bootleg with some sweet ambient jamz
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The interesting thing I noticed throughout this concert was that TOOL seemed to not put in any of the long segues they had been doing. Also, there was no set break before Wings. This is when they sit on stage for a few minutes while the crowd holds up their lighters. They could have easily used this exact set-list and stretched it to 11:30, but instead chose to end at 11:00. That’s why I thought they were trying to hurry up and get in more songs. My friend and I were discussing this notion after we observed them hammering out the songs a bit quicker than normal. Strange, but maybe they had to leave the venue early? Or, just really don’t like to play that long?

This is exactly the thoughts and hope that jumped into my drugged out mind during the set. I guess a combination of factors were really getting my hopes up for something new and when they were very clearly speeding through the set I thought for a moment it had to be in order to fit in more stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast during the show, but at the same time I realized that you really only get to see Tool for the first time your first time and sorry, but that's a little sad. It's like knowing you'll never have an experience like your first psychedelic trip again.

That being said, the band was definitely very accurate, precise, and kick ass as always. It just hit me hard to realize that I can't really expect to have my world rocked like that first time.

Over all Bonnaroo encapsulated quite a series of dissapointing events, so the opinion is a bit biased, but come on. I'm sure the band, for all they talk about how much playing these songs night after night is exhausting and how difficult it is to continue to play them with the same passion and personality, you'd think they would want to switch it up more.

Another thought I've had is acknowledging the fact that Danny is still recovering. During the intermissions at the past 2 shows i saw prior to this, he had an ice pack on his arm the whole time. It's probably extremely painful for him to play long sets.

And this may just be my imagination, but I feel like while the videos are mostly the same each show, they've actually been unique in the ways that they are cut and made to reflect and "respond" to the music.

The laser show has been consistent the past 4 times I've seen them, but the videos are evolving in different ways. They could change up the set lists and still put on a sensory overload of the same caliber.

I will say this though, just so I don't come off as hating on the set: I'm downloading a bootleg of the show just so i can hear Morello's beautiful reworkings. If not for that, I would better treasure a bootleg with some sweet ambient jamz
06-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Show was boring. Not worth standing for an hour waiting.

Other shows were good, Tool was disappointing.

End review.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #46
Level 20 - Saget
Suicide Booth ID: 16

Bincount™: 1522

Show was boring. Not worth standing for an hour waiting.

Other shows were good, Tool was disappointing.

End review.
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM

The show was amazing, couldn't have asked for more. Tool headlining a huge festival like Bonnaroo just made the atmosphere perfect for the show, it an amazing expirience.

I dunno how no one else mentioned STS9 after Tool, it was an awesome show and it was perfect for chilling out (or coming down) after Tool.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was amazing, couldn't have asked for more. Tool headlining a huge festival like Bonnaroo just made the atmosphere perfect for the show, it an amazing expirience.

I dunno how no one else mentioned STS9 after Tool, it was an awesome show and it was perfect for chilling out (or coming down) after Tool.
OFFLINE |  
sniff
06-20-2007, 03:24 PM

not sure who it was, but whoever said there was a full moon during TOOL's performance is being dramatic. not that it matters, but there was no full moon; in fact, before Bonnaroo there was talk about how there was going to be a NEW moon and how that might have been a big deal for them in some weird way. it was just a sliver, and this, along with other biased comments, skewed your review. everyone keeps talking about how no one should expect anything different, that the setlist is always the same and always will be the same. why shouldn't i, or anyone else, expect something different when there was a half hour left for them to play and a legendary musician - who wrote a song that TOOL covered - jumping at the chance to play with every band in sight? yes, they sounded incredible, yes, they were tight as hell, yes, the light show was amazing, and yes, Tom Morello's cameo was cool, but it still doesn't change the fact that, as someone else has already said, they don't seem to care that much about what their fans want. does anyone here honestly believe that they didn't consider the crowd's desire to hear "No Quarter?" and i really don't think shortage of preparation time had anything to do with them not playing; it's fucking TOOL, i think we all agree how good they are, they could've pulled off a jam with JPJ with as little as an hour to prepare.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

not sure who it was, but whoever said there was a full moon during TOOL's performance is being dramatic. not that it matters, but there was no full moon; in fact, before Bonnaroo there was talk about how there was going to be a NEW moon and how that might have been a big deal for them in some weird way. it was just a sliver, and this, along with other biased comments, skewed your review. everyone keeps talking about how no one should expect anything different, that the setlist is always the same and always will be the same. why shouldn't i, or anyone else, expect something different when there was a half hour left for them to play and a legendary musician - who wrote a song that TOOL covered - jumping at the chance to play with every band in sight? yes, they sounded incredible, yes, they were tight as hell, yes, the light show was amazing, and yes, Tom Morello's cameo was cool, but it still doesn't change the fact that, as someone else has already said, they don't seem to care that much about what their fans want. does anyone here honestly believe that they didn't consider the crowd's desire to hear "No Quarter?" and i really don't think shortage of preparation time had anything to do with them not playing; it's fucking TOOL, i think we all agree how good they are, they could've pulled off a jam with JPJ with as little as an hour to prepare.
OFFLINE |  
bobby digital
06-20-2007, 05:27 PM

for all of you who had an amazing experience during tool's set at bonnaroo, i'm happy for all of you. i had a great time too. for all the naysayers who've been bitching about the set list since the beginning of this tour, i feel sorry for you. with all do respect, if i took anyone to that show and they didn't have the best time of their life or had any complaints, i would assume they were profoundly fucked in the head. i know that all of you read the message boards and knew what the set list was going to be heading in, give or take a few songs. this is the 10,000 days tour people. if you show up expecting half their set to consist of songs from aenima, undertow, and opiate, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. end of story. if you're expecting john paul jones to show up during their set even though he had a show scheduled moments after tool, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

tool is many things: innovative, groundbreaking, technically and visually brilliant. one thing they are not is improvisational. in concert their music is too married to the visuals to vary their set list too much. the band members are also staunch perfectionists. they would never think of playing any of their materiel live without meticulous rehearsals and practice time. since that's the way it's been since the band's inception, it is really mind-boggling to me that so many people feel betrayed in some way when "their" show isn't different from all the others.

here's what i took away from tool's performance at bonnaroo:

1) the thrill of seeing rosetta stoned, wings pt. 1 and 2, and flood, live for the first time. wings pt. 1 and 2 was a particular high-point. hearing these songs live, i was struck with the realization that 10,000 days is a much more significant album than i first surmised - more than a worthy addition to their previous work.

2) danny carey is the best drummer on the face of the earth. his speed and precision is almost frightening at times, and he'd never sounded better than he did on friday. even maynard commented mid-song that "[he] like[s] watching him too." i'm sure you do, maynard, you've got the best seat in the house every night.

3) tool is the most original, brilliant, compelling band of their generation. there's not another band on the planet that sounds like these guys do, and their live shows are unmatched. they likely gained thousands of new fans during their bonnaroo set, and for good reason.

i left feeling grateful to band for sharing their art with the world, for having the dedication and commitment to deliver nothing but perfection and excellence each time they step on the stage, and wondering when, if ever, i would have the chance to see them again. if that is the last tool show i ever have the good fortune of seeing, i could live with that. i think it was one of their finest moments.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

for all of you who had an amazing experience during tool's set at bonnaroo, i'm happy for all of you. i had a great time too. for all the naysayers who've been bitching about the set list since the beginning of this tour, i feel sorry for you. with all do respect, if i took anyone to that show and they didn't have the best time of their life or had any complaints, i would assume they were profoundly fucked in the head. i know that all of you read the message boards and knew what the set list was going to be heading in, give or take a few songs. this is the 10,000 days tour people. if you show up expecting half their set to consist of songs from aenima, undertow, and opiate, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. end of story. if you're expecting john paul jones to show up during their set even though he had a show scheduled moments after tool, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

tool is many things: innovative, groundbreaking, technically and visually brilliant. one thing they are not is improvisational. in concert their music is too married to the visuals to vary their set list too much. the band members are also staunch perfectionists. they would never think of playing any of their materiel live without meticulous rehearsals and practice time. since that's the way it's been since the band's inception, it is really mind-boggling to me that so many people feel betrayed in some way when "their" show isn't different from all the others.

here's what i took away from tool's performance at bonnaroo:

1) the thrill of seeing rosetta stoned, wings pt. 1 and 2, and flood, live for the first time. wings pt. 1 and 2 was a particular high-point. hearing these songs live, i was struck with the realization that 10,000 days is a much more significant album than i first surmised - more than a worthy addition to their previous work.

2) danny carey is the best drummer on the face of the earth. his speed and precision is almost frightening at times, and he'd never sounded better than he did on friday. even maynard commented mid-song that "[he] like[s] watching him too." i'm sure you do, maynard, you've got the best seat in the house every night.

3) tool is the most original, brilliant, compelling band of their generation. there's not another band on the planet that sounds like these guys do, and their live shows are unmatched. they likely gained thousands of new fans during their bonnaroo set, and for good reason.

i left feeling grateful to band for sharing their art with the world, for having the dedication and commitment to deliver nothing but perfection and excellence each time they step on the stage, and wondering when, if ever, i would have the chance to see them again. if that is the last tool show i ever have the good fortune of seeing, i could live with that. i think it was one of their finest moments.
OFFLINE |  
fallenxruby
06-21-2007, 10:00 AM

this was by the far the best tool show i've seen. it was number five for me, first bonnaroo. my only issue was that tool didn't love their audience at all. that pained me. i also wanted some older tunes other than flood to manifest themselves. but i'm not gonna lie, it was by far the best show i've seen. i just wished they loved us more. instead they were like the friend who tries to freak you out while you're tripping face, which is still fun. because at least they were playing along. i also do suppose that they had to do they stuff from this tour because it is so dead on at this point that all the people that are not hardcore tool fans need to see what's up. flaming lips was not musically supreme, but they loved us. tool was fucking majestic in their musical supremacy, and yet...no love. but i'm done complaining because that was the biggest mind fuck in the world, and i really have no right.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

this was by the far the best tool show i've seen. it was number five for me, first bonnaroo. my only issue was that tool didn't love their audience at all. that pained me. i also wanted some older tunes other than flood to manifest themselves. but i'm not gonna lie, it was by far the best show i've seen. i just wished they loved us more. instead they were like the friend who tries to freak you out while you're tripping face, which is still fun. because at least they were playing along. i also do suppose that they had to do they stuff from this tour because it is so dead on at this point that all the people that are not hardcore tool fans need to see what's up. flaming lips was not musically supreme, but they loved us. tool was fucking majestic in their musical supremacy, and yet...no love. but i'm done complaining because that was the biggest mind fuck in the world, and i really have no right.
OFFLINE |  
geoffsparky
06-21-2007, 12:28 PM

i'm just going to say haha to those who missed it because it was great
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

i'm just going to say haha to those who missed it because it was great
OFFLINE |  
chiselsdreams
06-21-2007, 01:58 PM

TOOL at BONNAROO...
1. Ragged on Hippies the whole show.
2. Lasers during Wings/10,000 days worked in the dope haze.
3. Was the ONLY band playing at the time.
4. Brought A LOT of people to ROO' that were not hippies.
5. FLOOD came out of no where.
6. Cool to see Tom Morello redeem himself after his less then up to his standard "One Man Revolution" stint aka. "THE EAGGGALLLESS CLAW".
7. Perfect atomosphere for TOOL fans... the more outdoorsy types of us were in our element.
8. For those who tripped balls during the show I hope your trip took you FURTHER.
9. They were a relief from all the CRUNCHY HEADY bands.
10. They were not the only highlight :).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL at BONNAROO...
1. Ragged on Hippies the whole show.
2. Lasers during Wings/10,000 days worked in the dope haze.
3. Was the ONLY band playing at the time.
4. Brought A LOT of people to ROO' that were not hippies.
5. FLOOD came out of no where.
6. Cool to see Tom Morello redeem himself after his less then up to his standard "One Man Revolution" stint aka. "THE EAGGGALLLESS CLAW".
7. Perfect atomosphere for TOOL fans... the more outdoorsy types of us were in our element.
8. For those who tripped balls during the show I hope your trip took you FURTHER.
9. They were a relief from all the CRUNCHY HEADY bands.
10. They were not the only highlight :).
OFFLINE |  
pyrofreakcm
06-21-2007, 06:36 PM

The more I think about that show the more I loved it. I should've been tripping on shrooms during it but those were a bust. Either way that show was amazing. Was disappointed that they didn't go 'til 11:30 but then I just thought "it's fucking Tool, they can do whatever the fuck they want in my mind." Flaming Lips were cool but the sound quality was shit, went to Galactic for a much better change. Sasha and John Digweed were incredible! I was a raving metalhead, it had to look interesting. Note: They didn't stop until around 5:45-5:50. I was at Centeroo until 4:40ish and could hear them keep going from the campsite.

About 96% of AEnema
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7bOzMYAv0
Tom Morello's part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpWNhhLeWM
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

The more I think about that show the more I loved it. I should've been tripping on shrooms during it but those were a bust. Either way that show was amazing. Was disappointed that they didn't go 'til 11:30 but then I just thought "it's fucking Tool, they can do whatever the fuck they want in my mind." Flaming Lips were cool but the sound quality was shit, went to Galactic for a much better change. Sasha and John Digweed were incredible! I was a raving metalhead, it had to look interesting. Note: They didn't stop until around 5:45-5:50. I was at Centeroo until 4:40ish and could hear them keep going from the campsite.

About 96% of AEnema
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7bOzMYAv0
Tom Morello's part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpWNhhLeWM
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Old 06-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #54
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

OFFLINE |  
fenningenarius
06-22-2007, 05:42 AM

This is my first post on this board.

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed in the show. I did think it was a great show, but after seeing Tool for the first time in Greenville a few weeks ago, the Bonnaroo set paled in comparison. Perhaps if I had seen the Bonnaroo show first and the Greenville show second I might have felt letdown after the Greenville show, but I really don't think that's true.

The band just didn't seem nearly as into it at Bonnaroo. Maybe that's because in Greenville they were playing to a sold out crowd made up exclusively of Tool fans instead of a bunch of hippies with some Tool fans mixed in. Whatever the reason, they seemed like they were really into putting on a great show for the fans in Greenville while they seemed like they were sort of rushing through the songs in TN.

In Greenville it seemed like there was a segue of noise-type stuff between most of the songs. I wouldn't have thought taking that part of the show away would make a big difference but it did. It seemed like in Greenville they wanted to put on an amazing show, a cohesive set of music more about the entire set than the individual songs, while in TN they were just up there playing this song and then that song until their set was over and they could be done with it and leave the stage.

I had planned to never go back to Bonnaroo (I went in 2003 and 2006), but after seeing Tool in Greenville my girlfriend and I both agreed that we must go see Tool on a huge soundsystem in a crowd that large. Both aspects were somewhat of a letdown at Bonnaroo.

The sound was good, but not great. Not nearly as good as a lot of other acts I've seen on similar large soundsystems. The sound during Jambi was horrible. I guess that's to be expected when the bands don't get to soundcheck, but I couldn't believe how bad it was. There was a horrible echo on the drums, which were turned up much too loud. By the second song they had the sound mostly fixed, but it never got as good as I had hoped it would. I was sitting just to the left of the front of the soundboard.

Another thing I thought would be great about Bonnaroo was the large crowd. It wasn't great. They absolutely sucked. I assumed even the people who weren't fans of Tool would have their minds blown and get very energetic. They mostly just stood there lifeless. In between the songs there was hardly any cheering/yelling/clapping. The crowds at every other set I saw, even in the tents with MUCH smaller crowds, were exponentially louder.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the setlist was mostly the same as Greenville or that they didn't play for 2.5 hours. I pretty much expected that and it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was that they just didn't seem to play the songs with the same fire and passion that they had a week earlier. Even still, it was a great show imo, but the Greenville show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't say that about the TN show.

One other thing that was better about the Greenville show was the Lateralus. The set there had such good flow and Lateralus was the climax of the set. And the climax was so strong, so amazing. At Bonnaroo that wasn't the case at all. It was cool to see Morello come out, but the song didn't serve as a climax to the set at all with the much different feel that his performance gave it. His solo seemed like way more of a novelty act than good music. I was really excited when he first walked out but pretty letdown after his solo.

Greenville was an amazing show from start to finish with really good flow and it worked really well the way the set slowed down during wings>10,000 days and then climaxed really hard during Lateralus and Vicarious. In TN it just seemed like Tool was up there playing songs. They were good performances of good songs, but it wasn't nearly as good as what I saw in Greenville. There wasn't good flow. The set as a whole didn't work like it did in Greenville.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my first post on this board.

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed in the show. I did think it was a great show, but after seeing Tool for the first time in Greenville a few weeks ago, the Bonnaroo set paled in comparison. Perhaps if I had seen the Bonnaroo show first and the Greenville show second I might have felt letdown after the Greenville show, but I really don't think that's true.

The band just didn't seem nearly as into it at Bonnaroo. Maybe that's because in Greenville they were playing to a sold out crowd made up exclusively of Tool fans instead of a bunch of hippies with some Tool fans mixed in. Whatever the reason, they seemed like they were really into putting on a great show for the fans in Greenville while they seemed like they were sort of rushing through the songs in TN.

In Greenville it seemed like there was a segue of noise-type stuff between most of the songs. I wouldn't have thought taking that part of the show away would make a big difference but it did. It seemed like in Greenville they wanted to put on an amazing show, a cohesive set of music more about the entire set than the individual songs, while in TN they were just up there playing this song and then that song until their set was over and they could be done with it and leave the stage.

I had planned to never go back to Bonnaroo (I went in 2003 and 2006), but after seeing Tool in Greenville my girlfriend and I both agreed that we must go see Tool on a huge soundsystem in a crowd that large. Both aspects were somewhat of a letdown at Bonnaroo.

The sound was good, but not great. Not nearly as good as a lot of other acts I've seen on similar large soundsystems. The sound during Jambi was horrible. I guess that's to be expected when the bands don't get to soundcheck, but I couldn't believe how bad it was. There was a horrible echo on the drums, which were turned up much too loud. By the second song they had the sound mostly fixed, but it never got as good as I had hoped it would. I was sitting just to the left of the front of the soundboard.

Another thing I thought would be great about Bonnaroo was the large crowd. It wasn't great. They absolutely sucked. I assumed even the people who weren't fans of Tool would have their minds blown and get very energetic. They mostly just stood there lifeless. In between the songs there was hardly any cheering/yelling/clapping. The crowds at every other set I saw, even in the tents with MUCH smaller crowds, were exponentially louder.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the setlist was mostly the same as Greenville or that they didn't play for 2.5 hours. I pretty much expected that and it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was that they just didn't seem to play the songs with the same fire and passion that they had a week earlier. Even still, it was a great show imo, but the Greenville show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't say that about the TN show.

One other thing that was better about the Greenville show was the Lateralus. The set there had such good flow and Lateralus was the climax of the set. And the climax was so strong, so amazing. At Bonnaroo that wasn't the case at all. It was cool to see Morello come out, but the song didn't serve as a climax to the set at all with the much different feel that his performance gave it. His solo seemed like way more of a novelty act than good music. I was really excited when he first walked out but pretty letdown after his solo.

Greenville was an amazing show from start to finish with really good flow and it worked really well the way the set slowed down during wings>10,000 days and then climaxed really hard during Lateralus and Vicarious. In TN it just seemed like Tool was up there playing songs. They were good performances of good songs, but it wasn't nearly as good as what I saw in Greenville. There wasn't good flow. The set as a whole didn't work like it did in Greenville.
OFFLINE |  
queenoftears's Avatar queenoftears
06-22-2007, 03:03 PM

It's taken me a week to gain energy to even post about the show at Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo changed my life and Tool at Bonnaroo just made my life a little better. This show was my 7th time seeing Tool and by far the best. Dirty hippies and all! They sounded more on that night than any other time I've heard them. I don't know if I had such a good time just because I was seeing Tool, or if it was the vibes at the festival in general. Everyone was so eager to get to know each other, I met people from all over the WORLD, absolutely amazing. I was a little twipsy during the show but I remember all of the wonderfulness. Danny was off his ass good even more than usual. He is the best drummer in the f*n world, mark my words. Maynard sounded GREAT, his voice tends to go flat sometimes but not once at the 'roo. The fuckin patchouli comment got me laughing/ahem reallllllly hard and I knew from that moment it would be stellar. I traveled on a Greyhound bus, alone, for 23 hours and walked 6 miles to find my friend's campsite dragging my luggage on gravel, but the funny part is, I had a smile on my face the whole time. I knew within 24 hours I'd be seeing my favorite band of all time, and that was all that mattered. The rest of Bonnaroo was just an added bonus, lots, LOTS of good music, lots of good people, LOTS of gooooood pot (among other things), good times.
Would not change any of it for the world, except the Dustaroo, shit! Still coughing the 'roo out of my lungs.

Thank you Tool, Thank you Bonnaroo, my life is one step closer to total enlightenment.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

It's taken me a week to gain energy to even post about the show at Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo changed my life and Tool at Bonnaroo just made my life a little better. This show was my 7th time seeing Tool and by far the best. Dirty hippies and all! They sounded more on that night than any other time I've heard them. I don't know if I had such a good time just because I was seeing Tool, or if it was the vibes at the festival in general. Everyone was so eager to get to know each other, I met people from all over the WORLD, absolutely amazing. I was a little twipsy during the show but I remember all of the wonderfulness. Danny was off his ass good even more than usual. He is the best drummer in the f*n world, mark my words. Maynard sounded GREAT, his voice tends to go flat sometimes but not once at the 'roo. The fuckin patchouli comment got me laughing/ahem reallllllly hard and I knew from that moment it would be stellar. I traveled on a Greyhound bus, alone, for 23 hours and walked 6 miles to find my friend's campsite dragging my luggage on gravel, but the funny part is, I had a smile on my face the whole time. I knew within 24 hours I'd be seeing my favorite band of all time, and that was all that mattered. The rest of Bonnaroo was just an added bonus, lots, LOTS of good music, lots of good people, LOTS of gooooood pot (among other things), good times.
Would not change any of it for the world, except the Dustaroo, shit! Still coughing the 'roo out of my lungs.

Thank you Tool, Thank you Bonnaroo, my life is one step closer to total enlightenment.
mosvar
06-23-2007, 04:13 PM

What a fantastic show.....was also at evansville.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

What a fantastic show.....was also at evansville.
OFFLINE |  
gabe_angelfire's Avatar gabe_angelfire
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Another awesome Tool show!

I was about three rows back from the barricade on the far right facing the stage. I would have enjoyed myself more had the dude who was high/drunk/tripping off his ass not puked on the guy in front of me. This was after slamming into me for a good fifteen minutes in an attempt to get the mosh pit going. I had told the guy in front of me several times to help surf the guy out of the crowd because I could tell he was going to be sick, but he didn't listen to me and alas was thrown up upon. The crowd was so tight I had nowhere to go but backwards and given the circumstances... well, I had to get out of there and get some fresh air before I too lost my lunch.

So, I spent the rest of the show with my friends wayyyyy back in the back. The sound was great. I have no complaints about the song selection either.... and the light show was spectacular. I just couldn't see the stage, what a bummer!!!

I was kinda sad that they ended the show so early, but what do I know, maybe they were tired or someone had to go pee... I'm not going to pretend I know what goes on in the minds of people I don't know. But I wasn't disappointed and I feel like I got my money's worth.

I swear I distinctly heard Maynard say something about enjoying the rest of the weekend on the ant farm. Am I the only one who heard this??? Yeah he was a bit of an ass, but honestly, I think he gets up there and doesn't know what to say to us... He tried though! Besides, I would never expect MJK to stand on the stage and kiss my ass (or anyone else's for that matter.) If you wanted roses and ponies and happy little what-nots... The Flaming Lips was where it was at... But that's THEIR THING! As many of you have pointed out, to compare the Lips to TOOL is quite absurd. Personally, the two bands have put on the two best shows I've ever attended, but I wouldn't dare lump them into some category and attempt to compare them side by side. Apples and Oranges, a show is not just a show. A Tool show is intense, meaningful and thought provoking. The Lips are fun, trippy, and happy.

Sidenote: Did anyone catch Gogol Bordello? That show was awesome as well!

This was my first Bonnaroo and I enjoyed it for what it was, but honestly I prefer a more intimate venue. That's why I'm off to see Tool in Huntington in a few weeks!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #58
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Another awesome Tool show!

I was about three rows back from the barricade on the far right facing the stage. I would have enjoyed myself more had the dude who was high/drunk/tripping off his ass not puked on the guy in front of me. This was after slamming into me for a good fifteen minutes in an attempt to get the mosh pit going. I had told the guy in front of me several times to help surf the guy out of the crowd because I could tell he was going to be sick, but he didn't listen to me and alas was thrown up upon. The crowd was so tight I had nowhere to go but backwards and given the circumstances... well, I had to get out of there and get some fresh air before I too lost my lunch.

So, I spent the rest of the show with my friends wayyyyy back in the back. The sound was great. I have no complaints about the song selection either.... and the light show was spectacular. I just couldn't see the stage, what a bummer!!!

I was kinda sad that they ended the show so early, but what do I know, maybe they were tired or someone had to go pee... I'm not going to pretend I know what goes on in the minds of people I don't know. But I wasn't disappointed and I feel like I got my money's worth.

I swear I distinctly heard Maynard say something about enjoying the rest of the weekend on the ant farm. Am I the only one who heard this??? Yeah he was a bit of an ass, but honestly, I think he gets up there and doesn't know what to say to us... He tried though! Besides, I would never expect MJK to stand on the stage and kiss my ass (or anyone else's for that matter.) If you wanted roses and ponies and happy little what-nots... The Flaming Lips was where it was at... But that's THEIR THING! As many of you have pointed out, to compare the Lips to TOOL is quite absurd. Personally, the two bands have put on the two best shows I've ever attended, but I wouldn't dare lump them into some category and attempt to compare them side by side. Apples and Oranges, a show is not just a show. A Tool show is intense, meaningful and thought provoking. The Lips are fun, trippy, and happy.

Sidenote: Did anyone catch Gogol Bordello? That show was awesome as well!

This was my first Bonnaroo and I enjoyed it for what it was, but honestly I prefer a more intimate venue. That's why I'm off to see Tool in Huntington in a few weeks!
OFFLINE |  
WookieeBlaylock's Avatar WookieeBlaylock
06-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Well, I'm back to Canada from our trip down to the south for Bonnaroo. Firstly I must say that that festival is bloody amazing; lots of great music, SO many great people coalesced there... goin' back next year (unless the lineup totally blows alpaca nuts).

The "What Stage" saw a fair gathering... probably a little less than the Police saw the following night, but still the vast majority of the 'Rooers. I was quite impressed with that particular venue/stage, as the sound was rather pristine, and there was plenty of space to see the band from essentially anywhere one so desired. I feel sorry for those who didn't have an absolutely mind-blowinglingly epic experience (well, particularily Tool fans anyway). Some people I met following that night exclaimed that it was pretty much "the best experience EVER!". I can think of maybe one or two other nights of my life that possibly rivaled that night of the 15th.

During soundcheck... well, I personally was going through some mad gut rut due to the psilocybin and so on, and not to mention the dehydration which had especially taken it's toll by that point... so my memory of the hour before the is bit hazy. What was it that Maynard was saying during sound check? I ask, 'cause other things he said following that were good for a chuckle. I know it was a bunch of goofy "check oooone" lines among other things. The sound of the low toms and such being blasted, cutting through the otherwise fairly quiet pre-show air like thunder, added to the insurmountable anticipation. Then they took the stage. Prior to seeing Jambi as an opener, I doubted the awesomeness of it's placement within the set, but it killed. Somehow it was damn near the highlight for me. Everyone shines in that tune... I really like what Justin does. FAWK what a feeling thinking back to it all. Was disappointed for abooouut a half second when they avoided the extended section of Stinkfist, as I really love it, but ah well. Saw them them do it in Calgary and Edmonton last August, so.... I found the Pot to be great as well (mind you, I LOVE the new album, whereas if one didn't, I can understand the frustration over the lack of older tune rotation in the setlists). I especially dug Rosetta Stoned this time... their energy never relented, well, during pretty well the whole show it seemed. Flood wasn't a big deal to me, in fact, it's the one part of the show that I remember the least. Still, they tore it up. Admittedly, Pushit, or especially Right in Two would have been preferred (or The Grudge, The Patient, or THIRD EYE!! for that matter). The Wings/10,000 Days suite miiiight have been the most awesome thing I've experienced live, musically. But then of course was Lateralus... which was amazing itself, along with Danny's wicked drumming during the "breakdown". By the time Tom Morello began doing his thing, I had most certainly gone to an remote alien world, and feeling really fucking good about life. The rest of Lateralus was impeccable too. I realise now that I'm attemping to write a review for something that requires thousands of words to describe, and for some things which are perhaps beyond words. I guess you had to be there. And if you were there, and are actually pissed off, well, that's your loss. I realise it's all subjective, but still. Anyway, perhaps I'll try to write more than just crap after I've had more than three hours of sleep....

The whole flew by too fast... there's so much to take in. Thank-you Tool for the grand time. This was my third show, and once again it's going to take six months to really digest all that happened that night. And once again I'm feeling very inspired. I appreciate what they do so much. I hope they keep touring, or tour again. If everything else at the border, during the drive, during the remainder of Bonnaroo would have sucked balls, I'd still be happy, for that night of Tool was worth crossing the DUSTY trail for alone (luckily everything went really well). Oh, forget to mention how awesome Mr. Jones was as well. I personally really dig the visuals, though for this show I had my own visuals whilst having my eyes closed half the time.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 06-25-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Well, I'm back to Canada from our trip down to the south for Bonnaroo. Firstly I must say that that festival is bloody amazing; lots of great music, SO many great people coalesced there... goin' back next year (unless the lineup totally blows alpaca nuts).

The "What Stage" saw a fair gathering... probably a little less than the Police saw the following night, but still the vast majority of the 'Rooers. I was quite impressed with that particular venue/stage, as the sound was rather pristine, and there was plenty of space to see the band from essentially anywhere one so desired. I feel sorry for those who didn't have an absolutely mind-blowinglingly epic experience (well, particularily Tool fans anyway). Some people I met following that night exclaimed that it was pretty much "the best experience EVER!". I can think of maybe one or two other nights of my life that possibly rivaled that night of the 15th.

During soundcheck... well, I personally was going through some mad gut rut due to the psilocybin and so on, and not to mention the dehydration which had especially taken it's toll by that point... so my memory of the hour before the is bit hazy. What was it that Maynard was saying during sound check? I ask, 'cause other things he said following that were good for a chuckle. I know it was a bunch of goofy "check oooone" lines among other things. The sound of the low toms and such being blasted, cutting through the otherwise fairly quiet pre-show air like thunder, added to the insurmountable anticipation. Then they took the stage. Prior to seeing Jambi as an opener, I doubted the awesomeness of it's placement within the set, but it killed. Somehow it was damn near the highlight for me. Everyone shines in that tune... I really like what Justin does. FAWK what a feeling thinking back to it all. Was disappointed for abooouut a half second when they avoided the extended section of Stinkfist, as I really love it, but ah well. Saw them them do it in Calgary and Edmonton last August, so.... I found the Pot to be great as well (mind you, I LOVE the new album, whereas if one didn't, I can understand the frustration over the lack of older tune rotation in the setlists). I especially dug Rosetta Stoned this time... their energy never relented, well, during pretty well the whole show it seemed. Flood wasn't a big deal to me, in fact, it's the one part of the show that I remember the least. Still, they tore it up. Admittedly, Pushit, or especially Right in Two would have been preferred (or The Grudge, The Patient, or THIRD EYE!! for that matter). The Wings/10,000 Days suite miiiight have been the most awesome thing I've experienced live, musically. But then of course was Lateralus... which was amazing itself, along with Danny's wicked drumming during the "breakdown". By the time Tom Morello began doing his thing, I had most certainly gone to an remote alien world, and feeling really fucking good about life. The rest of Lateralus was impeccable too. I realise now that I'm attemping to write a review for something that requires thousands of words to describe, and for some things which are perhaps beyond words. I guess you had to be there. And if you were there, and are actually pissed off, well, that's your loss. I realise it's all subjective, but still. Anyway, perhaps I'll try to write more than just crap after I've had more than three hours of sleep....

The whole flew by too fast... there's so much to take in. Thank-you Tool for the grand time. This was my third show, and once again it's going to take six months to really digest all that happened that night. And once again I'm feeling very inspired. I appreciate what they do so much. I hope they keep touring, or tour again. If everything else at the border, during the drive, during the remainder of Bonnaroo would have sucked balls, I'd still be happy, for that night of Tool was worth crossing the DUSTY trail for alone (luckily everything went really well). Oh, forget to mention how awesome Mr. Jones was as well. I personally really dig the visuals, though for this show I had my own visuals whilst having my eyes closed half the time.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 06-25-2007 at 12:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  
plymoynihan
06-27-2007, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Gregmas;2008151]I went to Bonnaroo with the sole intention of seeing Tool. This was a big deal for me since I have a seething hatred for all things hippy. As a 30 year old tool fan, I can say that i have to agree with previous posters on the set list issue.

Amen- i have a similar tool concertography. It doesn't matter what the setlist is- I just love to see those guys play. Bonnaroo was my 4th on this tour, one more in July.
My friends and I drove 14 hrs from NYC, inhaled massive amounts of dust, have been sick for a week now- all to see our favorite band play (amazing sound, set, etc...I might add) and we'd do it all over again.
It's just a treat to be able to see Tool as many times as possible- all shows are different in their own way. Bonnaroo was memorable for different reasons than the others over the last 14 years I've had the chance to witness live Tool shows.
Get over the set list issues- these shows are all distinctively different, no matter what songs are played.
I'm still amazed at the sound system there. Flood was a real surprise. I also like Aire's review above
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=Gregmas;2008151]I went to Bonnaroo with the sole intention of seeing Tool. This was a big deal for me since I have a seething hatred for all things hippy. As a 30 year old tool fan, I can say that i have to agree with previous posters on the set list issue.

Amen- i have a similar tool concertography. It doesn't matter what the setlist is- I just love to see those guys play. Bonnaroo was my 4th on this tour, one more in July.
My friends and I drove 14 hrs from NYC, inhaled massive amounts of dust, have been sick for a week now- all to see our favorite band play (amazing sound, set, etc...I might add) and we'd do it all over again.
It's just a treat to be able to see Tool as many times as possible- all shows are different in their own way. Bonnaroo was memorable for different reasons than the others over the last 14 years I've had the chance to witness live Tool shows.
Get over the set list issues- these shows are all distinctively different, no matter what songs are played.
I'm still amazed at the sound system there. Flood was a real surprise. I also like Aire's review above
OFFLINE |  
elmorld
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Bonnaroo was awesome and Tool FUCKING ROCKED! I was glad to hear Maynard so talkative, think he had a good time.
What about Tom? He is right up there with Jimi Hendrix! I didn't see this during the concert, but have looked on youtube and does anyone know why Maynard handed Tom the phone while he was in the middle of his solo?
The lightshow was out of this world (and so were we:) Couldn't have asked for more...ok...well maybe John Paul Jones would have iced the cake, but no complaints here.
Thanks TOOL!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Bonnaroo was awesome and Tool FUCKING ROCKED! I was glad to hear Maynard so talkative, think he had a good time.
What about Tom? He is right up there with Jimi Hendrix! I didn't see this during the concert, but have looked on youtube and does anyone know why Maynard handed Tom the phone while he was in the middle of his solo?
The lightshow was out of this world (and so were we:) Couldn't have asked for more...ok...well maybe John Paul Jones would have iced the cake, but no complaints here.
Thanks TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Outie's Avatar Outie
07-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Wow what can you say about Bonnaroo except that. This place, this festival was about as close to a Art/Music Utopia that I still get cold chills thinking of it all. There was so much to see, smell, take in...it was overwhelming. Friday started out so damned hot like the rest of the days there, cold at night, and brainbakingly hot by 900am. We took off for What stage or the main stage and got there about halfway through The Roots playing, I had never seen or heard these guys, but they really blew me away, such talented guys all of them, and they played alot of hip/hop, R&B, and even covered The Police's Roxanne, and some Bob Dylan. After they ended, here came the crowds, an ocean of exhaused, some strung out and stinky folks(myself included). Looking out over the crowd was a awe inspiring event, just incredible. The lights went down and the crowd goes apeshit to Maynards usual festival opening statement of..."I smell Patchulli" and boom right into Jambi, by that time my shroomies were peaking and I was on fire with anticipation. Tool was schedualed to play from 900pm to 1130 which I knew would never happen, and it didnt. But they made up for the lost time by coming out and just pouring everything into the show. Adam had his hair braided in kind of a pigtail fashion, coming down on each shoulder. Maynard and the rest of the boys were very very animated during the show, he was throwing out jokes like, I had a hot shower this morning, in my air conditioned trailer, even had soap....Jealous? Next was stinkfist, not extended but incredible of course. The Pot was kickass, then 46&2, one of my favorite songs live,Schism extended, then Maynard says, "So Im guessing most of you guys are on the Marajuana, maybe the LSD, well your all under arrest, heres a song about ya'll". No lost keys intro, just right into Roseta Stoned. Maynard says..."Were going back awhile with this one, all the way to 1996....this song is dedicated to Deputy Sheriff David Cross, then right into Flood, my face flushed red as the energy poured toward me and out of me, one of the most impressive songs of the night that I had never seen before live just awesome. Next was Wings and 10000 days, Maynard asked the crowd not to use flash photography, and at that point I realized my bladder was gonna explode if i didnt find a portolet really soon, So I headed for it, there was a small line of about 6 ppl in the vip area to the right of the stage, the area is for the venders that work the show and lady in front of me preceeded to tell me her life story, I tell her im from Cincinatti/ northern ky area and she goes on to sing a song that she sings with her son about Cincy, she went on for at least 2 minutes making sure I missed even hearing alot of Wings, we chatted a bit more and she went in, came out, intoduced herself as Jenn and said her goodbyes, she grabs me and hugs me tight, running her hands all down my back, I kissed her on the cheek then she faced me as if she wanted more(I had told her that I was there with someone, apparently she didnt care...see what Extacy does hehe?). She finally went on as did I. On the way back my lil area on the handicap pavillion(ive got a few busted disks in my back) and spotted a couple underneath our pavillion, just fucking each others brains out lol, it was uhh unnerving/sexy/ a lil disgusting all at the same time. I got back just in time to catch the end of 10000 days damnit i was a lil pissed but oh well. Lateralus began, and at the break of the song, Maynard introduces the king of the gaywad guitar solo, Mr. Tom Morello, he came out and did alot of Rage sounding soloing it was incredible, then Maynard walked up to him handing him a phone signaling it was time to go, he finished and left, kickass experience, that will prolly never happen again, and I was so happy to have been there, Maynard says.."Thank you for putting up with our cynacal attitudes, Police are tomorrow, damned fine, have a good weekend" then just kicked Vicarious ass, after he said have a good time again, then it was"Hey Hey Hey Hey" into Aenima. They thanked everyone in their usual way, throwing out waters and drumheads, and just like that it was over. Im still reeling from it all, and that was nearly a month ago. All id like to say is if you ever get a chance to go to Bonnaroo, Tool or not, DO IT, the experience is something that I will never forget and a real highpoint in my life. Ok enough of my ramble, you guys take care, Spiral Out...Keep Going......much love....Outie
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow what can you say about Bonnaroo except that. This place, this festival was about as close to a Art/Music Utopia that I still get cold chills thinking of it all. There was so much to see, smell, take in...it was overwhelming. Friday started out so damned hot like the rest of the days there, cold at night, and brainbakingly hot by 900am. We took off for What stage or the main stage and got there about halfway through The Roots playing, I had never seen or heard these guys, but they really blew me away, such talented guys all of them, and they played alot of hip/hop, R&B, and even covered The Police's Roxanne, and some Bob Dylan. After they ended, here came the crowds, an ocean of exhaused, some strung out and stinky folks(myself included). Looking out over the crowd was a awe inspiring event, just incredible. The lights went down and the crowd goes apeshit to Maynards usual festival opening statement of..."I smell Patchulli" and boom right into Jambi, by that time my shroomies were peaking and I was on fire with anticipation. Tool was schedualed to play from 900pm to 1130 which I knew would never happen, and it didnt. But they made up for the lost time by coming out and just pouring everything into the show. Adam had his hair braided in kind of a pigtail fashion, coming down on each shoulder. Maynard and the rest of the boys were very very animated during the show, he was throwing out jokes like, I had a hot shower this morning, in my air conditioned trailer, even had soap....Jealous? Next was stinkfist, not extended but incredible of course. The Pot was kickass, then 46&2, one of my favorite songs live,Schism extended, then Maynard says, "So Im guessing most of you guys are on the Marajuana, maybe the LSD, well your all under arrest, heres a song about ya'll". No lost keys intro, just right into Roseta Stoned. Maynard says..."Were going back awhile with this one, all the way to 1996....this song is dedicated to Deputy Sheriff David Cross, then right into Flood, my face flushed red as the energy poured toward me and out of me, one of the most impressive songs of the night that I had never seen before live just awesome. Next was Wings and 10000 days, Maynard asked the crowd not to use flash photography, and at that point I realized my bladder was gonna explode if i didnt find a portolet really soon, So I headed for it, there was a small line of about 6 ppl in the vip area to the right of the stage, the area is for the venders that work the show and lady in front of me preceeded to tell me her life story, I tell her im from Cincinatti/ northern ky area and she goes on to sing a song that she sings with her son about Cincy, she went on for at least 2 minutes making sure I missed even hearing alot of Wings, we chatted a bit more and she went in, came out, intoduced herself as Jenn and said her goodbyes, she grabs me and hugs me tight, running her hands all down my back, I kissed her on the cheek then she faced me as if she wanted more(I had told her that I was there with someone, apparently she didnt care...see what Extacy does hehe?). She finally went on as did I. On the way back my lil area on the handicap pavillion(ive got a few busted disks in my back) and spotted a couple underneath our pavillion, just fucking each others brains out lol, it was uhh unnerving/sexy/ a lil disgusting all at the same time. I got back just in time to catch the end of 10000 days damnit i was a lil pissed but oh well. Lateralus began, and at the break of the song, Maynard introduces the king of the gaywad guitar solo, Mr. Tom Morello, he came out and did alot of Rage sounding soloing it was incredible, then Maynard walked up to him handing him a phone signaling it was time to go, he finished and left, kickass experience, that will prolly never happen again, and I was so happy to have been there, Maynard says.."Thank you for putting up with our cynacal attitudes, Police are tomorrow, damned fine, have a good weekend" then just kicked Vicarious ass, after he said have a good time again, then it was"Hey Hey Hey Hey" into Aenima. They thanked everyone in their usual way, throwing out waters and drumheads, and just like that it was over. Im still reeling from it all, and that was nearly a month ago. All id like to say is if you ever get a chance to go to Bonnaroo, Tool or not, DO IT, the experience is something that I will never forget and a real highpoint in my life. Ok enough of my ramble, you guys take care, Spiral Out...Keep Going......much love....Outie
07-13-2007, 06:58 PM

refer to bennytude for an excellent review.
just wanted to make a slight edition...i'm fairly certain that what maynard was saying (i guess before rosetta stoned) was something to the effect of:
hey, how are all the cops doin out there?
how's it feel to be around your marijuana, or your LSD...??
you are all under arrest.
here's a song about y'all

obviously i could be mistaken, but i could've sworn that he was talking a little shit to the fuzz
let me know what you guys think...
Old 07-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

refer to bennytude for an excellent review.
just wanted to make a slight edition...i'm fairly certain that what maynard was saying (i guess before rosetta stoned) was something to the effect of:
hey, how are all the cops doin out there?
how's it feel to be around your marijuana, or your LSD...??
you are all under arrest.
here's a song about y'all

obviously i could be mistaken, but i could've sworn that he was talking a little shit to the fuzz
let me know what you guys think...
OFFLINE |  
dlightphul
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM

well i was just looking at cutie, and i see what she is saying...
i suppose that could've been what he said...(i confess that i was on a little of the LSD myself)

now that i'm here, i might as well add, rather redundantly, that tool's performance at bonnaroo was absolutely the sickest thing i've seen in my life...i'm still high
Old 07-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

well i was just looking at cutie, and i see what she is saying...
i suppose that could've been what he said...(i confess that i was on a little of the LSD myself)

now that i'm here, i might as well add, rather redundantly, that tool's performance at bonnaroo was absolutely the sickest thing i've seen in my life...i'm still high
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply