opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/14 - Hammersmith, UK - Apollo

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2006/06/14 - Hammersmith, UK - Apollo

What an amazing Show. Being in the standing area, I had the setlist pushed and shoved out of me, but I know they started with Stinkfist (extended) and concluded with ÆNIMA.

Maynard had some sort of speech where he spoke really fast about "a new song" and mentioned "Ten thousand days" and I believe quite a few people got excited that they'll play Wings, but to no avail :(

I progressed closer and closer to the centre and it was my first time to see the band this close, I can't wait until they return "In November".

Props go out to the couple from Chicago, I hope you enjoyed yourselves and sorry I couldn't pass the water early on :(

Next time they go, I really hope ALL areas are seated, this gives for such a better viewing/listening experience, a lot of people just want to see the musicianship (of course I understand a lot of others don't).
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Rav
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Really great show, highlights were Maynard's comments, aside from the music obviously.

'Any Irish people here? ....Perfect.'

I waited round the side for a short while, hoping to see the band, didn't meet any of them but I did see Maynard leave in a car with two rather hot young ladies. Lucky bastard.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

He also said "Ukranians??" and some people cheered..
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I agree that seated would be better. Especially for the more ambient tracks. I would enjoy it much more if it were seated.

And did you notice how loads of people were waiting around for an encore, even though the fat Ricky Gervais lookalike security guard kept asking people to leave?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

'Any Belgians? .... Perfect.'

Also present were Schism, 46 & 2 (I think), Sober, Lateralis, I think in that order, but with others in between too, just can't remember which they were!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

It started off:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2

I don't remember what came next.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

The setlist (I think!) was:

Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Right In Two (with brief Intension intro)
Schism (extended)
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Not sure about the order of Right In Two and Schism - the rest I think is correct. Prove me wrong, kids, prove me wrong ...

But wow, what a show! I was in the pit for the first time at a Tool concert. Saw them previously in Sydney and Brixton. I'd been following the concert reviews so far so I knew what to expect. This setlist was the one I was hoping for. Right In Two was one of the highlights - Danny's solo in it was incredible. I was looking forward to The Pot and was not disappointed. Also loved Stinkfist (the visuals for that song really got the show off to a great start), Schism and of course Lateralus. I broke out in goose pimples during the spiral out outro. Awesome stuff.

I'm a huge fan of Jambi but somehow it didnt meet my expectations live. It wasnt bad - but - I dunno, it just didnt grab me the way I expected for some reason. Rosetta Stoned on the other hand was better than I thought it would be live. Oh btw, a girl collapsed during Rosetta Stoned nearby where I was - heat exhaustion I think - and had to be carried out - hope she is ok.

I'm jumping on a plane next week to go and live in Tucson so I am already looking forward to catching them in the "fall" tour. I'll get to see Arizona Bay in the flesh ;)

Til then, I have the great memories of this show to keep me satisfied. Can't wait for Wings and 10000 days to be played live! That will be hella special.

(Oh, Maynard farewelled the crowd by calling them silly english types - nice touch).
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Rosetta Stoned
Merkaba > Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Schism to Rosetta may be in the wrong order.

But my god, what an amazing amazing show, I had the best view I could ever have wanted most of the time and everything sounded fantastic 95% of the time, 'Nard was a little quiet in some parts.

I'll add some more later, i'm still in awe really
Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

lol I thought he said dykes!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

My seventh Tool concert, first in the Northern Hemisphere. Witnessed in purity & clarity. My husband & I both stink of sweat & smoke, so I'll try to keep this short.

Our ears have been assaulted by TOOL!

Set List as best as I can remember:
Stinkfist (heheh- my husband had just been saying he'd love to hear it, & they opened with it!)
The Pot
46 & 2 (So wished Tom & Shane were with me to share that)
Jambi
Schism
Sober (Got me craving Opiate for old times sake, but alas, no such luck!)
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

I was most satisfied, Hammersmith Apollo is ingenious with it's stalls floor rising towards the back. We got there at 7pm I think, I really wanted to get up front so I could see everything, being 5 foot 2". The clever British people were seated on the floor, so I thought 'Well done! We don't have to stand for an hour & a half waiting.' It didn't last, someone stood up at the front- probably to go off & get a drink, then suddenly it was all rush to stand up & squish. We remained sitting until 8:30pm I think, everyone was standing around us by then.

Yeah, pretty packed, but not so much that I couldn't breathe. It wasn't too hot where we were either. Thanks for all the advice not to take bags & that in.

So the curtain went up & I went into hypo mode to Stinkfist- charge!!! I remembered why my heart is so at peace at rock concerts, nothing like having a sound vibrate & shiver tingly all through your body, synergising with your heart & quivering your mind to the tips of your smile. I love it LOUD!!!

Maynard was shirtless & took off his cowboy hat to reveal a mohawk. I thought he looked like a Rooster & kind of danced like one- well, maybe a Rooster trying to be Maynard.

Danny, total legend- I was hypnotised by his percussion power. His whirling of drumsticks should have been a blur to my eyes but I could see it all clearly. True admiration for his skill in pulverising.

Adam fully amazed me with his riffs, it's so awesome to see this music being created right there in front of me. Heheh, for a moment there I thought he had become a Grip Reaper with his maniacal grin & looming look through his shroud of dark hair. & Justin, just felt like home to me- how I miss my long-haired westy boys & rock music! That smile that kept gleaming through his hair as he grooved along...

The vibe was definitely, these fullas LOVE their music & have complete faith in it, as do we all. I so love going to a real live concert where it's not just the band doing exactly what is on the CD. True musicians taking us on a journey.

Ahhh, there was a part towards the end where I had my eyes closed & it felt like the music was humming & buzzing right inside my head- like suddenly I had accessed that place in space where the physical becomes completely penetrated by the spirit & returns to the infinite nothingness while we drop the I & become absorbed by the all.

So we shall see them again in November? I thought they were to play Aotearoa by then?

Thank you guys so much. I didn't think I would get to see them- we missed out on tickets, but thanks to Simon we got some in the end. Woohoo!

Blessings, Peace, Love, Unity & Mischief~
Lil' 'shroom
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

a better show than last night (not to say that there was anything wrong with last night :P) i enjoyed this wednesday night show more.. same 'intro' music as last night (in the 2 hours ish it took them to come on) a couple of lemon jelly tracks, some cypress hill and the second movment from catch 33 by meshuggah. frickin wicked.

hope everyone enjoyed tonight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemima
Merkaba > Sober
Good call on Merkaba - I think that's right. I didnt know what it was at the time but I knew I knew it.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

yeah i think it was ideal for them to play a Meshuggah track or 2 before the band came on....to fill in the gap! I was amazed to see a lack of Meshuggah fans...when they played In Death Is Life/Death i just wanted to get a pit going!

The set list was brilliant...woulda been cool to have got some photographs....but oh well! They'll be back in November so it's all good!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

omfg. My Tool virginity wasn't broken gently, it was fucking thrusted by an immense giant phallus in musical form. I wasn't too sure, but I can now confirm Danny is actually a deity.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhadreshwara
yeah i think it was ideal for them to play a Meshuggah track or 2 before the band came on....to fill in the gap! I was amazed to see a lack of Meshuggah fans...when they played In Death Is Life/Death i just wanted to get a pit going!

The set list was brilliant...woulda been cool to have got some photographs....but oh well! They'll be back in November so it's all good!
Agreed. I really wish Meshuggah opened for them since they cancelled thier UK tour last fall.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I was keepin track of the sets for 13th and 14th and I have this one as:

Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot
Forty-Six and 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two (Intension intro)
Rosetta Stoned
Sober (Merkaba intro)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

All in all a good show, bit disappointed at the crowd for not knowing some songs like Sober, but it's all good :)

(Think I preferred the 13th tho ;))
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

When Meshuggah was played people all around me were saying "what is this shit?" while I was headbanging to it.

<3 Meshuggah
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok2step
Agreed. I really wish Meshuggah opened for them since they cancelled thier UK tour last fall.

yeah man, that shit pissed me right off! but i was speaking to a Strapping Young :Lad fan at the recent Fear Factory gig and he said that apperently Meshuggah played at the astoria at some point during the fall with SYL!

I believe the mesh boys are working on a new album...so my guess is we'll be seeing them on tour with Tool during November!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Well I'm surprised that nobody has yet noted that the band came to the front of the stage at one point and sat on the ledge. They sat for a couple of minutes, milking the crowd, and then got back up to play a few more songs. I think they were probably tired from such an intense set.

I have a feeling that this was a special gig for TooL - they mixed things up a fair amount and mixed a couple of intros with other tracks. It sounded like this crowd was perfectly in tune with the band at some points, like the "praying for tidal waves" bit which got a sea of hands waving in the air.

Danny did a number of drum solos - one was very tribal and I found my self having an immense attack of energy. In addition, some of the more intense drum sections on hte albums were made even heavier/longer for the gig. Absolutely incredible.

On the bad side - I thnk two early tracks were slightly over-bassed and heard a couple of bits that sounded accidentally a beat or two late. All in all that probably added to the feeling of hearing them live instead of listening to a recording. :)

Overall:Best gig to date. Truly memorable, and far more intoxicating then seeing them at Download.

P.S. - Hi to the guys we met and sat down with at the beginning (good to see some Cocteau Twins fans!).
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Tonight's show was unbelievable. It worked better for me than the night before, perhaps due to an idea of what to expect and look for, perhaps because they played the pot or maybe because I was 2nd row centre balcony with enough room to tear these fucking seats apart. The performance was flawless (ok, with exception of a little initial 'pot' fuck-up which was admirably corrected), the mixing was very good, although the guitar was too loud at times - especially during merkaba and sober - but all that doesn't matter as much as the fact that they took us somewhere else tonight, to the peak of what live music can deliver. I for the first time clearly felt just how inspiring and actually life-altering such an experience can be.

The new songs, the pot, jambi, rosetta, right in two and vicarious were out of this world and I think I enjoyed them more than anything else, especially the build-up of right in two and the heavy parts in vicarious. But of course I was also blown away by Lateralus, 46 & 2, Stinkfist, Aenema and Schism.

They are just so heavy, brutal, violent - yet subtle, awe-inspiring and TIGHT as hell. Shit man, the 14th of June was a lucky day.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

another great gig played by tool. the set order was tweeked from tuesday's show, which was also awsome, and very loud lol, but overall tonights show was brilliant and i thought just that bit better than tuesday's. can't wait till november!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

oh yeah - just to add did anyone see the very old (i think blind) lady rocker standing dead front centre both nights? i guess age affects nothing, much respect to her.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

^ Yes i did.

MMM much better than first night me thinks. Lateralus was slick, Maynard seemed more loose, and, "The Pot" sounded awsome.

To the italian couple who were leaning on the middle bar things in front of me
Your both ugly and god looks down on you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone else happen to notice the camera at the back? And after the show, whilst standing at the back near the mixing desk, we spotted the sound guy taking a CD out and craftily putting it away...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K
Did anyone else happen to notice the camera at the back? And after the show, whilst standing at the back near the mixing desk, we spotted the sound guy taking a CD out and craftily putting it away...
no way
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

For me tonight's show was better than last night's show. For a start the vocals were much clearer and it wasn't so damn hot! I was about 3 or 4 rows away from the front of the stage, on the left hand side which was a much better position than last night (circle standing). There was a screw up on "The Pot" - did anyone else notice Danny burst out laughing when it happened? Quite a few Maynardisms:

"Do we have any Irish in the audience"? "Do we have any Belgians in the audience"? "Any Ukrainians"? (barely any crowd response) ... then a bit later on just before Rosetta Stoned: "Do we have any controlled substances in the audience"? (crowd roars YESS) - I thought it was funny. There was also a cool Rosetta Stoned - esque segue where Maynard did the RS blabbering with "new album" and "10,000 Days" audible - it was very cool.

Overall it was a very good performance but yet I still don't think it was as good as Brixton 2002 - I preferred the more mysterious and serious atmosphere of that gig as compared to the informal style of this gig. The setlist last time was better and much less predictable. Also the visuals were a little played out - some of the stuff reminded me of the visuals on Windows Media Player and the rest was mostly recycled "Lateralus" era stuff or taken from Tool videos. I hope when they come back in November they 1)Play Brixton Academy, 2) Mix up and extend the setlist a bit and 3) Do something really cool and creative with the stageshow.

Also thanks to the guy who caught Danny's drumstick and let me hold it on the train on the way home!

*Did anyone else get a weird automated telephone call this morning telling them not to bring bags and cameras to the event because the band had specifically requested it? NEVER had that happen before - the lengths Tool (Maynard) go to ...

Last edited by Spidery; 06-14-2006 at 05:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

A truly amazing show. Look forward to the return leg of the tour in November.
"silly english dykes" pure class. "how many people have illegal substances?" me, but due to a no smoking policy in the seats i can't enjoy them.. I thought it was a real nice touch that they just sat on the stage for the encore..nice cowboy moves and nice revolver belt buckle! Stinkfist, ænmia, right in two, jambi, sober, sitting down and rocking out is the new staying in!

incidentally, I went with a buch of friends and 3 hadn't heard any Tool and they thought it was amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM   #29

Bincount™: 7

An improvement over tuesday... the sound was crisp, the set was tight, and the band seemed to be having a cracking time. What an intense experience, Danny shone brightest imo, theres no way hes a human being, lol.

Hi to the guy who clocked the loot shirt and tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I was from Toolnavy :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #30
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Another awesome show, perhaps even better the second time around because my head wasn't spinning at the sheer awe like the first night, so I really got to take it in. Plus, The Pot is a rocking live track, it was pure energy. Best of all, sounds like tool are coming on another European tour late this year! Hooray!!!

Maynard was funny- "Are there any controlled substances in the house tonight?" before Rossetta Stoned

What I have been most impressed by (both nights) is how much of tool's sound is recorded, straight fom their set-up, with so little post-production on the actual sound of the instruments. The sound of everything was so powerful, but it was still just like having a tool CD inserted directly into my head and played by my brain. Lateralus may have melted my brain, cos it was just so intense.

Conclusion: I am lucky to be living during a time that TOOL are touring my country of residence. If you should be so lucky, then take the opportunity.
Help people, you lazy bum
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

hello to everyone I'm new to this sight. Last night I went to the Tool gig at the Hammy O. This venue was the first place I ever attended a gig at xmas 1973 when I was just 12 years old. Having been a regular gig goer ever since then you can sometimes lose the excitement factor of going. The last time I was blown away by a gig was Tool Brixton 2002. Personally for me last night was the best gig I've ever been too wow what a performance!!!. My wife and I were unfortunately towards the back up in the circle. However the power of the music the sound quality and the visuals certainly filled the entire place. favourites of the night in no particular order Stinkfist The Pot Jambi Right In Two. Damn all of them.
Anyway hope ihave rambled on to much for a newbie rol on November Peace to all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

17th time I have seen them, and arguably the best yet. Certainly better than Donnington and the previous night combined.

What else can I say?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

The video camera looked like it was a professional get up, positioned unworryingly dead-center on a big tripod. I think we can look forward to seeing ourselves on a DVD soon. :)

The automated phone was awesome - then I rang up and asked and they said it was the VENUE's request, not the band's after last night they had to stay so late to get bags out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 AM   #34
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Yeah, probably what they mean by that is that it was the Apollo that asked Ticketmaster to ring people up, but it was still Tool request to put all bags in the cloakroom.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

He def. said dykes. My friend and I were at the front holding hands and mostly in MJK's line of vision. We both got quite emotional at one point too. I might be wrong but I didn't see any other reason for such a random comment!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeologist
He def. said dykes. My friend and I were at the front holding hands and mostly in MJK's line of vision. We both got quite emotional at one point too. I might be wrong but I didn't see any other reason for such a random comment!
He said "silly english types." Its a Monty Python joke. Maynard's the last person on Earth I would expect to be a homophobe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

just got back to newcastle now, it was a assault on my senses but worth it for they were amazing, hoping that they do make a live dvd of this show becasue it will probably be the best out of this tour. Outstanding! but now i must go to bed for the first time since wednesday morning at 7:00am
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 03:38 AM   #38

Bincount™: 7

Rosetta stoned makes a lot more sense live.

A megaphone AND a mic? Greedy, MAynard, greedy, lol ;)

Oh, newsflash for latecomers: Danny Carey is not a human being.

That is all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

unbelievable gig. unfortunately i couldnt use my camera tho because i was within arms length of the security guards.. anyone take any decent pictures/vids?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

What is better than the second time you saw Tool ? Seeing them for the 36th time !

Well done guys, the gig was the best of the 3 UK club dates. Didn’t go to download after the last time I went to Donnigton and saw Tool it was probably one of the worst shows they have ever done.

I felt the set list flowed a lot better last night, lots of energy from the band and the crowd.

Maynards comment of “see you in November “ are encouraging as it looks like we will have a tour on our hands.

Spiral Out and see you at a Tool gig soon.

Jamie
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: