Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174
Re: REVIEW - Jan 7th SF

Can't fuckin believe they played Sweat.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
livid star's Avatar livid star
01-08-2016, 09:42 AM

I went to both SF nights and found the performances equally enjoyable. Second night seemed shorter. Was it? Vocals were a touch more enthusiastic on the second night. They took a longer intermission and Danny still did his solo, just an abridged version. Visuals are excellent, glad I was in balcony both nights. I really love the lighted heptagram rig. Having missed the Lateralus tour, I'm thrilled to have heard The Grudge and Parabol/a. And of course, the fact that Tool played Sweat was unique as I've never heard it live in my near 19 year history of Tool shows. I think they better rehearse it more for the next show, though. The new jam didn't do it for me on the youtube clips I've heard, however, hearing it live makes it pique my interest more. Can't wait to see how they develop it on this ever elusive new album.
I love seeing them live and will continue to do so as long as I am able. Until next time, America!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I went to both SF nights and found the performances equally enjoyable. Second night seemed shorter. Was it? Vocals were a touch more enthusiastic on the second night. They took a longer intermission and Danny still did his solo, just an abridged version. Visuals are excellent, glad I was in balcony both nights. I really love the lighted heptagram rig. Having missed the Lateralus tour, I'm thrilled to have heard The Grudge and Parabol/a. And of course, the fact that Tool played Sweat was unique as I've never heard it live in my near 19 year history of Tool shows. I think they better rehearse it more for the next show, though. The new jam didn't do it for me on the youtube clips I've heard, however, hearing it live makes it pique my interest more. Can't wait to see how they develop it on this ever elusive new album.
I love seeing them live and will continue to do so as long as I am able. Until next time, America!!!
01-08-2016, 11:32 AM

He didn't do the scream during the Grudge, defiantly sang something during the new song, made a bunch of jokes, mentioned that if LA had an Earthquake so would we, Added San Francisco Bay into Anema, and I loved him singing on Sweat.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

He didn't do the scream during the Grudge, defiantly sang something during the new song, made a bunch of jokes, mentioned that if LA had an Earthquake so would we, Added San Francisco Bay into Anema, and I loved him singing on Sweat.
nrca
01-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Night two: Fucking Awesome! Predictable thing to say, but it is true: the band is amazing. There was a one song difference from last night, and a hell of a song it was! Sweat was amazing live! This was my 13th Tool show but it was the first time I ever drank for a Tool show, so that was a fun! Anyway this was a great start to 2016.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Night two: Fucking Awesome! Predictable thing to say, but it is true: the band is amazing. There was a one song difference from last night, and a hell of a song it was! Sweat was amazing live! This was my 13th Tool show but it was the first time I ever drank for a Tool show, so that was a fun! Anyway this was a great start to 2016.
the_yeti
01-08-2016, 04:13 PM

Here is my (shitty iPhone) video of No Quarter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPU9TyNgUU

Front row of the balcony.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Dash Rantic
01-08-2016, 05:37 PM

My 10th Tool show! On the rail, close to center a little to Justin's side. Dude in a wheelchair came rolling up to the rail next to me which was cool! Sweat was amazing, dunno what happened on the intro though. A bit disappointed that I've seen three shows in a row without Lateralus being played however (Monster Mash and both nights in SF).

Livid, I think it was shorter only be a couple of minutes--Sweat was added but Parabol was dropped and they are about the same length, but then they played the shortened (album version) of Stinkfist.

--
Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

My 10th Tool show! On the rail, close to center a little to Justin's side. Dude in a wheelchair came rolling up to the rail next to me which was cool! Sweat was amazing, dunno what happened on the intro though. A bit disappointed that I've seen three shows in a row without Lateralus being played however (Monster Mash and both nights in SF).

Livid, I think it was shorter only be a couple of minutes--Sweat was added but Parabol was dropped and they are about the same length, but then they played the shortened (album version) of Stinkfist.

--
Dick Gosinya's Avatar Dick Gosinya
01-09-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post

You ought to pursue this recording thing because this is not bad for "shitty Iphone",
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post

You ought to pursue this recording thing because this is not bad for "shitty Iphone",
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
the_yeti
01-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Gosinya View Post
Thanks.

I remember 10 years ago guys sneaking in complicated rigs with mic's on glasses and DAT tapes. And now an iPhone can make a better recording out of the box. Ain't technology great?

Also, Bill Grahm sound is fscking awesome.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Gosinya View Post
Thanks.

I remember 10 years ago guys sneaking in complicated rigs with mic's on glasses and DAT tapes. And now an iPhone can make a better recording out of the box. Ain't technology great?

Also, Bill Grahm sound is fscking awesome.
Durangatang
01-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Can we get an official setlist posted kanaduh?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
On Probation

Can we get an official setlist posted kanaduh?
swimminginmusic's Avatar swimminginmusic
01-12-2016, 04:09 PM

whoops. i just found these threads. i was looking in the other show threads for what i found here. I guess ill post stuff here too because I've got nothing better to do today.

Since my buddy(John) and I got into SF at about 9am and had little else to do, we hung out in line all day with some really cool people. Tool draws a diverse and REALLY polite crowed (at least the ones that show up to wait in line, but I have met douche-fans as well). The question all day was "balcony, or rail?", and everyone had an immediate answer. My buddy and I decided on rail because up-close-and-personal is rare (or obscenely expensive) for a TOOL show.

Once we figured out the crap-shoot of Bill Graham crowed control, we wound up on the rail right in front of Danny's MOOG/synth (or whatever it is). I'd have to say, this is probably the best angle to see TOOL from for that 'front-row' experience. The way MJK, LC & DC are positioned, it feels like everyone is looking right at you. Justin is a goofy-ass character and he is a lot of fun to watch interact with his instrument and the other band members. MJK, with his glasses on, feels like he is staring into your soul. I'm sure his eyes are closed or he's not focused on anything specific most of the time, but a certain dead-head chemistry changes everything.

So, rail/front row is a great for watching talented musicians do their job and play amazing music, however with TOOL you end up missing a lot of the presentation. I don't know if I would've made the same decision for front row if i wasn't going to see them again on this tour. After seeing the SD2 show, i can say i missed ALOT of cool lights/visuals that changed my perception of the messages.

Setlist was pretty decent. Dressing as Zepp and playing it on Halloween is one thing, but I'm surprised they're taking No Quarter on as a regular song. No complaints, It's killer and i always love hearing it, but I never would've guessed (though we did hear them play bits of this song for soundcheck while we were standing in line).

Grudge had me amped. It's amazing how effortless it is for them to pound out that kind of math. Fucks me up. I can't blame MJK for not going for that scream. Not only does it hurt him, he's purged that aggression already. I get that. That song is still gold.

When JC played the one intro, then went into schism, i saw maynard throw up his hands and JC looked like he was laughing like he was fucking with MJK. IDK what was really going on, but that interaction was really entertaining to watch.

The new middle-of-opiate piece is really beautiful. I can space out to that all day.

I hate to be negative, but some of the songs feel like go-through-the-motion songs. IDK if these are obligatory setlist standards, or if they are the songs they have the tightest or what, but these are the songs i prefer to be further back because the entire live performance is still amazing.

Ænema is not one of those songs. Maybe because it's at the top of my favorites list, but they still put a lot of themselves into playing it and it really is an awesome performance.

It's awesome to see DC soloing from so close -that man is a beast- however, from so close, things didn't line up quite right and you miss a lot of whats going on in the peripherals… but who fucking cares because, look! DC is right fucking there playing the drums! Still glad i got a different angle of this a few days later.

SWEAT! Holy shit. Curve ball. People went nuts. Maybe it was my position, but the beginning sounded a tad muddy or off… it took me a second to catch up with what the hell was going on. I was kind of dumbstruck.

Stinkfist is a cool closer. Beautiful performance and great crescendo, plus my wife decided to have this song in our wedding so it's special, or whatever…

Great experience. My beliefs hold firm that each seat in a TOOL show is it's own unique experience and theres not a bad seat in the house. I spent a lot of time, money and effort on seeing these shows and I'm never disappointed.
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

whoops. i just found these threads. i was looking in the other show threads for what i found here. I guess ill post stuff here too because I've got nothing better to do today.

Since my buddy(John) and I got into SF at about 9am and had little else to do, we hung out in line all day with some really cool people. Tool draws a diverse and REALLY polite crowed (at least the ones that show up to wait in line, but I have met douche-fans as well). The question all day was "balcony, or rail?", and everyone had an immediate answer. My buddy and I decided on rail because up-close-and-personal is rare (or obscenely expensive) for a TOOL show.

Once we figured out the crap-shoot of Bill Graham crowed control, we wound up on the rail right in front of Danny's MOOG/synth (or whatever it is). I'd have to say, this is probably the best angle to see TOOL from for that 'front-row' experience. The way MJK, LC & DC are positioned, it feels like everyone is looking right at you. Justin is a goofy-ass character and he is a lot of fun to watch interact with his instrument and the other band members. MJK, with his glasses on, feels like he is staring into your soul. I'm sure his eyes are closed or he's not focused on anything specific most of the time, but a certain dead-head chemistry changes everything.

So, rail/front row is a great for watching talented musicians do their job and play amazing music, however with TOOL you end up missing a lot of the presentation. I don't know if I would've made the same decision for front row if i wasn't going to see them again on this tour. After seeing the SD2 show, i can say i missed ALOT of cool lights/visuals that changed my perception of the messages.

Setlist was pretty decent. Dressing as Zepp and playing it on Halloween is one thing, but I'm surprised they're taking No Quarter on as a regular song. No complaints, It's killer and i always love hearing it, but I never would've guessed (though we did hear them play bits of this song for soundcheck while we were standing in line).

Grudge had me amped. It's amazing how effortless it is for them to pound out that kind of math. Fucks me up. I can't blame MJK for not going for that scream. Not only does it hurt him, he's purged that aggression already. I get that. That song is still gold.

When JC played the one intro, then went into schism, i saw maynard throw up his hands and JC looked like he was laughing like he was fucking with MJK. IDK what was really going on, but that interaction was really entertaining to watch.

The new middle-of-opiate piece is really beautiful. I can space out to that all day.

I hate to be negative, but some of the songs feel like go-through-the-motion songs. IDK if these are obligatory setlist standards, or if they are the songs they have the tightest or what, but these are the songs i prefer to be further back because the entire live performance is still amazing.

Ænema is not one of those songs. Maybe because it's at the top of my favorites list, but they still put a lot of themselves into playing it and it really is an awesome performance.

It's awesome to see DC soloing from so close -that man is a beast- however, from so close, things didn't line up quite right and you miss a lot of whats going on in the peripherals… but who fucking cares because, look! DC is right fucking there playing the drums! Still glad i got a different angle of this a few days later.

SWEAT! Holy shit. Curve ball. People went nuts. Maybe it was my position, but the beginning sounded a tad muddy or off… it took me a second to catch up with what the hell was going on. I was kind of dumbstruck.

Stinkfist is a cool closer. Beautiful performance and great crescendo, plus my wife decided to have this song in our wedding so it's special, or whatever…

Great experience. My beliefs hold firm that each seat in a TOOL show is it's own unique experience and theres not a bad seat in the house. I spent a lot of time, money and effort on seeing these shows and I'm never disappointed.
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
livid star's Avatar livid star
01-12-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimminginmusic View Post
I hate to be negative, but some of the songs feel like through-the-motion songs. IDK if these are obligatory setlist standards, or if they are the songs they have the tightest or what, but these are the songs i prefer to be further back because the entire live performance is still.
I agree. During these songs, I focus on Danny the most because I feel like he's worth the price of admission alone.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
I hate to be negative, but some of the songs feel like through-the-motion songs. IDK if these are obligatory setlist standards, or if they are the songs they have the tightest or what, but these are the songs i prefer to be further back because the entire live performance is still.
I agree. During these songs, I focus on Danny the most because I feel like he's worth the price of admission alone.
01-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm one of the balcony folks for B.G. that floor is a hard place to be up front all night getting crushed. I've been down front for several shows and love the fact that you can just forget that there is 7g worth of people behind you. Here is a nice before and after the floor filled up. Honestly you did it right getting to the rail, but I like my rail spot about 20ft up Adam's side, from that vantage you can see them perfectly and get a great view of the overall show. http://imgur.com/a/aDP0G
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24

Last edited by 46inme; 01-13-2016 at 09:11 AM..
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I'm one of the balcony folks for B.G. that floor is a hard place to be up front all night getting crushed. I've been down front for several shows and love the fact that you can just forget that there is 7g worth of people behind you. Here is a nice before and after the floor filled up. Honestly you did it right getting to the rail, but I like my rail spot about 20ft up Adam's side, from that vantage you can see them perfectly and get a great view of the overall show. http://imgur.com/a/aDP0G
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24

Last edited by 46inme; 01-13-2016 at 09:11 AM..
swimminginmusic's Avatar swimminginmusic
01-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46inme View Post
It was a challenge, especially after not sleeping more than 45 min on the plane and being in line all day. The pressure from the crowed was moving the baracades, and there was a 300+lbs man drug out over the top of us- completely unconscious. Other than that distractions were limited. Security's flashlights were over our heads more or less. I would've considered balcony more seriously if I didn't have tix for the SD show, for sure. I was row2/center for the Tucson 2012 show, but this was WAY more intimate than that venue. I don't think I'd change it if I could do it again.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46inme View Post
It was a challenge, especially after not sleeping more than 45 min on the plane and being in line all day. The pressure from the crowed was moving the baracades, and there was a 300+lbs man drug out over the top of us- completely unconscious. Other than that distractions were limited. Security's flashlights were over our heads more or less. I would've considered balcony more seriously if I didn't have tix for the SD show, for sure. I was row2/center for the Tucson 2012 show, but this was WAY more intimate than that venue. I don't think I'd change it if I could do it again.
badisposition
01-28-2016, 10:15 PM

I see as many tool shows as possible if they come to the bay area i'm there,
since 1993

I learned my lesson from the previous night and sat upstairs in the balcony i did not miss the
floor action.
The sound is better and all the lighting and video is safely viewable without much
obstruction. I still miss the days when Maynard was out stomping in front but this
was a very cool show.
I love hearing No Quarter again they play it better now than they did in '93-'94
The Grudge is great but prefer a long scream hell i would of liked any ( like the one he did
for Adams bday card) maybe not
Parobola needs Parobol but i will take it. always feel like the band loves playing it and I feel good hearing it
As i write this review i realize that the rest of the show was as all have already stated
I like the new jam for Opiate, hearing Sweat for the 1st time live in years was nice. the band seemed a bit off as they played it but im not complaining Tool is just better than most bands even when they are off a bit. the piece ppl are calling "descending" has now morphed a little and away from what i thought was very much like an instrumental 46&2 to a more distinctive and polished instrumental which I really like. It just makes me feel good listening to it. anyway Stinkfist is a solid show closer. Leaves us all wanting more and thats what its all about.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

I see as many tool shows as possible if they come to the bay area i'm there,
since 1993

I learned my lesson from the previous night and sat upstairs in the balcony i did not miss the
floor action.
The sound is better and all the lighting and video is safely viewable without much
obstruction. I still miss the days when Maynard was out stomping in front but this
was a very cool show.
I love hearing No Quarter again they play it better now than they did in '93-'94
The Grudge is great but prefer a long scream hell i would of liked any ( like the one he did
for Adams bday card) maybe not
Parobola needs Parobol but i will take it. always feel like the band loves playing it and I feel good hearing it
As i write this review i realize that the rest of the show was as all have already stated
I like the new jam for Opiate, hearing Sweat for the 1st time live in years was nice. the band seemed a bit off as they played it but im not complaining Tool is just better than most bands even when they are off a bit. the piece ppl are calling "descending" has now morphed a little and away from what i thought was very much like an instrumental 46&2 to a more distinctive and polished instrumental which I really like. It just makes me feel good listening to it. anyway Stinkfist is a solid show closer. Leaves us all wanting more and thats what its all about.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply