Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-02-2006, 11:58 AM

This may be pointless to some people, but I think, besides the Dream Theater influence (which gets really clear in the beginning of Vicarious, comparing it to the beginning of "New Millennium" - stunningly equal) I heard S.O.A.D. already in my first few listens.

I thought of them when I heard 10,000 Days (the song) because of the way the melodys go and the vocal harmonies (like on S.O.A.D.'s older album "Toxicity").
But then I found a lot more influence in their newest album "Mezmerize / Hypnotize", there are a lot of ideas, that just can't be coincidentally put on the Tool album (like the bass solo from Vicarious in "Revenga" (I know it's typical) and the riff from the end of The Pot in "This Cocaine..." and "Attack"... Does anyone agree?

And I also think the artwork from 10,000 Days is inspired by the artwork of "Mezmerize / Hypnotize".
Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60
System Of A Down influence in this album.

This may be pointless to some people, but I think, besides the Dream Theater influence (which gets really clear in the beginning of Vicarious, comparing it to the beginning of "New Millennium" - stunningly equal) I heard S.O.A.D. already in my first few listens.

I thought of them when I heard 10,000 Days (the song) because of the way the melodys go and the vocal harmonies (like on S.O.A.D.'s older album "Toxicity").
But then I found a lot more influence in their newest album "Mezmerize / Hypnotize", there are a lot of ideas, that just can't be coincidentally put on the Tool album (like the bass solo from Vicarious in "Revenga" (I know it's typical) and the riff from the end of The Pot in "This Cocaine..." and "Attack"... Does anyone agree?

And I also think the artwork from 10,000 Days is inspired by the artwork of "Mezmerize / Hypnotize".
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tollll12
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM

I kind of doubt it dude. I've heard Tool speak of Rick Rubin only with pejoritives.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Re: System Of A Down influence in this album.

I kind of doubt it dude. I've heard Tool speak of Rick Rubin only with pejoritives.
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
06-02-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21

NO
Old 06-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:

NO
mike09's Avatar mike09
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:

You're a moron who has never listened to King Crimson or Mr. Bungle.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:

UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Similarities can appear wherever you see them. I like SOAD a lot too, but they are quite different IMO, save some political qualities I feel both albums share. In fact, music releases in the last few months/years have had major political implications...more so than any other time I've been alive for anyway. Maybe I'm just waking up to such things in my life though.

Art work inspired by SOAD's Mezmerize/Hypnotize? No F-ing way. 110% no F-ing way. Alex Gray's art has been a part of Tool (perhaps vice-versa too) for, well, over 5 years now. But the art from Mezmerize/Hypnotize is also cool, IMO.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #5

Bincount™: 24

Similarities can appear wherever you see them. I like SOAD a lot too, but they are quite different IMO, save some political qualities I feel both albums share. In fact, music releases in the last few months/years have had major political implications...more so than any other time I've been alive for anyway. Maybe I'm just waking up to such things in my life though.

Art work inspired by SOAD's Mezmerize/Hypnotize? No F-ing way. 110% no F-ing way. Alex Gray's art has been a part of Tool (perhaps vice-versa too) for, well, over 5 years now. But the art from Mezmerize/Hypnotize is also cool, IMO.
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
wow, what an asshole remark.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
KING CRIMSON RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr. bungle is ok too.

I don't know about that moron stuff.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
KING CRIMSON RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr. bungle is ok too.

I don't know about that moron stuff.
tollll12
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
Quote:
You're a moron who has never listened to King Crimson or Mr. Bungle
Yeah, seriously mike09 - lighten up.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
You're a moron who has never listened to King Crimson or Mr. Bungle
Yeah, seriously mike09 - lighten up.
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
True. But I too am an ass, so I don't always pick up on that stuff. Must be a militant Tool fan. You won't ever catch me in pit at a show.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
True. But I too am an ass, so I don't always pick up on that stuff. Must be a militant Tool fan. You won't ever catch me in pit at a show.
mike09's Avatar mike09
06-02-2006, 12:27 PM

sorry lol, that was pretty harsh.

I guess this comment:

Quote:
just makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Threadstarter, download the King Crimson song "Discipline". That's where both New Millenium and Vicarious's ideas came from. Tool actually doesn't like Dream Theater, most likely because of how badly they ripped them off with "The Great Debate".
Old 06-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

I guess this comment:

Quote:
just makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Threadstarter, download the King Crimson song "Discipline". That's where both New Millenium and Vicarious's ideas came from. Tool actually doesn't like Dream Theater, most likely because of how badly they ripped them off with "The Great Debate".
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollll12
Thanks, dude. You've forced me to learn a new word. I love that shit.

pe·jor·a·tive (adj) 1.Tending to make or become worse.
2.Disparaging; belittling.

funny though. an asspile of my music collection has Rick Rubin's name on it.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollll12

Æsahættr's Avatar Æsahættr
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Ummm.
No.
Firstly, while SOAD is a good rock and roll band, they lack the skill to make great music like Tool can.
Secondly, if the artwork was inspired by SOAD, then Tool needs to die. If they start copying other fucking bands things, they need to retire.

:(
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

Ummm.
No.
Firstly, while SOAD is a good rock and roll band, they lack the skill to make great music like Tool can.
Secondly, if the artwork was inspired by SOAD, then Tool needs to die. If they start copying other fucking bands things, they need to retire.

:(
guitarpete987
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I guess this comment:

Let's not forget the song "Home" on DT's Scenes from a Memory album. It's an awesome tune, some of singer James Labrie's best vocal work if you ask me. But it so blatantly copies (or as they put it, pays tribute to, lol) Tool's musical style that it's kinda sad.

And to the original poster, big time NO. I'm a fairly big SOAD fan. They make great music but it's all pretty basic stuff. I hear no SOAD influence in anything Tool does. Or vice versa. Each band has such a distinctive style that I'm quite surprised you found any real musical similarities in either. Both SOAD and Tool are very influential bands, but I just don't hear any aspects of either band in the other's work.

And you're way off the mark on the art issue, if you ask me. Seriously, dude, not to be condescending but I'm not sure what to think if you see the artwork on 10,000 Days as similar to the Mesmerize/Hypnotize artwork. And I seriously doubt Alex Grey would take any inspiration from SOAD artwork. The man's on a high enough horse as it is.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

I guess this comment:

Let's not forget the song "Home" on DT's Scenes from a Memory album. It's an awesome tune, some of singer James Labrie's best vocal work if you ask me. But it so blatantly copies (or as they put it, pays tribute to, lol) Tool's musical style that it's kinda sad.

And to the original poster, big time NO. I'm a fairly big SOAD fan. They make great music but it's all pretty basic stuff. I hear no SOAD influence in anything Tool does. Or vice versa. Each band has such a distinctive style that I'm quite surprised you found any real musical similarities in either. Both SOAD and Tool are very influential bands, but I just don't hear any aspects of either band in the other's work.

And you're way off the mark on the art issue, if you ask me. Seriously, dude, not to be condescending but I'm not sure what to think if you see the artwork on 10,000 Days as similar to the Mesmerize/Hypnotize artwork. And I seriously doubt Alex Grey would take any inspiration from SOAD artwork. The man's on a high enough horse as it is.
steve99_9's Avatar steve99_9
06-02-2006, 01:11 PM

tool was using that artwork in their tours in 2002...so maybe SOAD stole it from them
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 862

tool was using that artwork in their tours in 2002...so maybe SOAD stole it from them
Mondays - Thursdays 11:30pm
If Not??.....You're A Coward

Member Of The Colbert Nation Covenant.
Primal_regrets's Avatar Primal_regrets
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM

I don’t think Tool are influenced by System of a down at all,King Crimson and early Yes maybe,Adam Jones mentioned all his influences in the Guitar world magazine,and not once was System brought up.
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!

Primal Regrets-
Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

I don’t think Tool are influenced by System of a down at all,King Crimson and early Yes maybe,Adam Jones mentioned all his influences in the Guitar world magazine,and not once was System brought up.
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!

Primal Regrets-
Agent_202's Avatar Agent_202
06-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Negative on the SOAD influence
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

06-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOtofu

Well, I used it as a noun, but close enough... I actually think Rick Rubin is pretty good. I don't think The Chili Peppers or System of a Down would be even half as good without him. But with that said, if your producer is what makes your band good, you're fucked when he leaves.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOtofu

Well, I used it as a noun, but close enough... I actually think Rick Rubin is pretty good. I don't think The Chili Peppers or System of a Down would be even half as good without him. But with that said, if your producer is what makes your band good, you're fucked when he leaves.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-03-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:

I guess this comment:

Yeah the Great Debate thing makes me hate the whole album, which was one of my favorite albums ever before.

But cool to find that their not ripping off DT, but KC. :)

By the way, listen to the beginning of "Vicinity of Obscenity". The drummer plays the Jambi opening riff. Lol.

Last edited by Terry21; 06-03-2006 at 04:09 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 04:03 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:

I guess this comment:

Yeah the Great Debate thing makes me hate the whole album, which was one of my favorite albums ever before.

But cool to find that their not ripping off DT, but KC. :)

By the way, listen to the beginning of "Vicinity of Obscenity". The drummer plays the Jambi opening riff. Lol.

Last edited by Terry21; 06-03-2006 at 04:09 AM..
zol's Avatar zol
06-03-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_202
Agreed. Chalk and cheese.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #19
zol

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_202
Agreed. Chalk and cheese.
06-03-2006, 04:38 AM

Maybe Tool stole this artwork from Alex Grey.

I'm kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9
Old 06-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 467

Maybe Tool stole this artwork from Alex Grey.

I'm kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99_9
drayeva's Avatar drayeva
06-03-2006, 04:53 AM

the only vague similarity with SOAD is that middle-east sort of feeling the music occasionally has, what with the tabla and certain other melodies. That they both sometimes draw elements of music from a non-Western tradition hardly means that one has any influence over the other at all

and as for Dream Theater. . . *shudders*
Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

the only vague similarity with SOAD is that middle-east sort of feeling the music occasionally has, what with the tabla and certain other melodies. That they both sometimes draw elements of music from a non-Western tradition hardly means that one has any influence over the other at all

and as for Dream Theater. . . *shudders*
06-03-2006, 07:16 AM

LOL at the SOAD influence, hahahahahaha
Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

LOL at the SOAD influence, hahahahahaha
Gurdjieff Hubbard
06-03-2006, 08:13 AM

Enthralling thread, indeedy!!! If I stop and consider even the remotest wisp of a fragment of possibility that Tool would/could EVER be moved/influenced by ANYTHING SoaD have "created" I... I... I... DAMMIT!!! Now I have to punch myself in the taint region 'til the spiritual pain ceases. THANKS ALOT!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Enthralling thread, indeedy!!! If I stop and consider even the remotest wisp of a fragment of possibility that Tool would/could EVER be moved/influenced by ANYTHING SoaD have "created" I... I... I... DAMMIT!!! Now I have to punch myself in the taint region 'til the spiritual pain ceases. THANKS ALOT!!!
06-03-2006, 08:17 AM

The beginning of Vicarious does sound like Dream Theater, and especially when the main riff kicks in. I thought this the first time I heard it as well.

Just add a terrible vocalist and some shitty lyrics, and it could be a dream theater song.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

The beginning of Vicarious does sound like Dream Theater, and especially when the main riff kicks in. I thought this the first time I heard it as well.

Just add a terrible vocalist and some shitty lyrics, and it could be a dream theater song.
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
06-03-2006, 08:26 AM

yeah right
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #25
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

yeah right
06-03-2006, 08:29 AM

Just because parts of songs sound similar to parts of songs from another band doesn't mean Tool is consciously influenced by System of a Down. I highly highly doubt that.

The three bands that noticably influence Tool are King Crimson, Meshuggh, and the Melvins.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Just because parts of songs sound similar to parts of songs from another band doesn't mean Tool is consciously influenced by System of a Down. I highly highly doubt that.

The three bands that noticably influence Tool are King Crimson, Meshuggh, and the Melvins.
blafuckbla's Avatar blafuckbla
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Pink Floyd
Old 06-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Pink Floyd
Metalgod666's Avatar Metalgod666
06-03-2006, 08:47 AM

I don't hear an SOAD influence at all
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

I don't hear an SOAD influence at all
Randall's Avatar Randall
06-03-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Hellz nah, "s.o.a.d" has to be the gayest/shittiest band ever, besides fallout boy but thats different genre, system of a down should be hurled into a black hole for no one to look back on. Tools only influence is Tool.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Hellz nah, "s.o.a.d" has to be the gayest/shittiest band ever, besides fallout boy but thats different genre, system of a down should be hurled into a black hole for no one to look back on. Tools only influence is Tool.
][ncognito
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM

I enjoy SOAD quite muchly, but there's definitely no influence on Tool's music. If there was any pop-rock band that had any influence with would be Audioslave (consdiering Adam and Tom Morello are good friends, and Maynard wearing his I <3 Brad Wilk shirt on Conan). Anyways, SOAD's artwork was done by Daron's father, Tool's was done by Alex Grey.

I agree about the only similarities being generally the middle-eastern/eastern styles of music found in both albums, though I doubt either one were influenced by the others. System of a Down is one of the few bands who can write a great song under 2 minutes long. Tool is one of the few bands who can write an amazing song over 10 minutes long :p
Old 06-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I enjoy SOAD quite muchly, but there's definitely no influence on Tool's music. If there was any pop-rock band that had any influence with would be Audioslave (consdiering Adam and Tom Morello are good friends, and Maynard wearing his I <3 Brad Wilk shirt on Conan). Anyways, SOAD's artwork was done by Daron's father, Tool's was done by Alex Grey.

I agree about the only similarities being generally the middle-eastern/eastern styles of music found in both albums, though I doubt either one were influenced by the others. System of a Down is one of the few bands who can write a great song under 2 minutes long. Tool is one of the few bands who can write an amazing song over 10 minutes long :p
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
06-03-2006, 01:22 PM

I'm a huge SOAD fan but I don't hear any similarities between the two. SOAD's music is incredibly raw, and the harmonies have this anxious quality to them where they're almost out of tune but not quite. Really drives the music forward.

Tool takes a very differnt approach.

I agree completely with what the post above me says about how SOAD is impressive cause they can write a good song thats shorter than 2 or 3 minutes, while Tool is impressive cause they can write a good song that's over 6 minutes.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

I'm a huge SOAD fan but I don't hear any similarities between the two. SOAD's music is incredibly raw, and the harmonies have this anxious quality to them where they're almost out of tune but not quite. Really drives the music forward.

I agree completely with what the post above me says about how SOAD is impressive cause they can write a good song thats shorter than 2 or 3 minutes, while Tool is impressive cause they can write a good song that's over 6 minutes.
black_rose's Avatar black_rose
06-03-2006, 01:29 PM

There is a tiny part in Jambi that reminds me of a SOAD riff, onl;y what the guitars playing though.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

There is a tiny part in Jambi that reminds me of a SOAD riff, onl;y what the guitars playing though.
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:

SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS A DISGRACE.
yeah they used to be good BUT now they suck
Old 06-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #33
TJP

Quote:

SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS A DISGRACE.
yeah they used to be good BUT now they suck
Randall's Avatar Randall
06-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ncognito

And he said to the christian faith, "quite Muchly", and they joined in a mass suicide and he said, "lol".............ending the apocalypse
Old 06-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ncognito

And he said to the christian faith, "quite Muchly", and they joined in a mass suicide and he said, "lol".............ending the apocalypse
Randall's Avatar Randall
06-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub

Length has no input on tool, they just write, time has no meaning. System of a down writes for media, contract, fame, and publicity for war, they dont care.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub

Length has no input on tool, they just write, time has no meaning. System of a down writes for media, contract, fame, and publicity for war, they dont care.
Winner's Avatar Winner
06-03-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall

You sound very intelligent, so I will take your opinion into consideration.

Of course Tool in influenced by other bands! It doesn't mean they've copied them, it just means they draw inspiration from them.

Also, System of a Down kicks ass.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

You sound very intelligent, so I will take your opinion into consideration.

Of course Tool in influenced by other bands! It doesn't mean they've copied them, it just means they draw inspiration from them.

Also, System of a Down kicks ass.
06-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
SOAD aren't that bad, but even if you think they suck, they are no where near the obsolute shittiestness of Fallout Boy. I could right a whole freaking book on why Fallout Boy suck so much fatty emo ass. But that's not what this is about.

....If anything, SOAD were influenced by Tool. Not the other way around. Tool have influenced so many alternative metal bands. Look at Chevelle. A lot of people think Chevelle is a carbon-copy of Tool, but I think they take the basics of Tool and add to it with something different. Hell, I loved Chevelle long before I knew Tool even existed.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #37
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5127

Quote:
SOAD aren't that bad, but even if you think they suck, they are no where near the obsolute shittiestness of Fallout Boy. I could right a whole freaking book on why Fallout Boy suck so much fatty emo ass. But that's not what this is about.

....If anything, SOAD were influenced by Tool. Not the other way around. Tool have influenced so many alternative metal bands. Look at Chevelle. A lot of people think Chevelle is a carbon-copy of Tool, but I think they take the basics of Tool and add to it with something different. Hell, I loved Chevelle long before I knew Tool even existed.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
schmeng's Avatar schmeng
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfKtulu109

the first time i listened to vicarious i thought "gee, this sounds like tool"
Old 06-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfKtulu109

the first time i listened to vicarious i thought "gee, this sounds like tool"
Benevolent Son's Avatar Benevolent Son
06-03-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:

STFU!

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth
Old 06-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

STFU!

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth
purplesystem
06-06-2006, 03:13 AM

Well, SOAD have said that tool was one of their biggest influences. so i think tool has inspired soad, not the other way. and as said, mez/hyp aertwork is done by guitarist Daron Malakians father, Vartan.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, SOAD have said that tool was one of their biggest influences. so i think tool has inspired soad, not the other way. and as said, mez/hyp aertwork is done by guitarist Daron Malakians father, Vartan.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply