Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
"Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism."

probably the most telling of all the "examples"....

I thought that was on Lateralus.... it must've been on Opiate!
You're missing the point of the lines though. If he were saying "I'm glad I'm doing here soothing my narcissism" it would be different. He's saying he DOESN'T want to. Same with the "Must crucify the ego" line, he's not saying he's egotistical, he's trying to be the opposite, saying he's trying to get rid of his ego.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #321
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Quote:
"Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism."

probably the most telling of all the "examples"....

I thought that was on Lateralus.... it must've been on Opiate!
You're missing the point of the lines though. If he were saying "I'm glad I'm doing here soothing my narcissism" it would be different. He's saying he DOESN'T want to. Same with the "Must crucify the ego" line, he's not saying he's egotistical, he's trying to be the opposite, saying he's trying to get rid of his ego.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid

he's admitting to his EGO and narcissism...

those are admissions... so he wants to change.. good. change then.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #322
On Probation

Quote:

Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, but you are using them as examples to prove that he's arrogant when these are very obviously supposed to show he's trying to get rid of his arrogance was all I was saying. Admittance is the first step towards fixing the problem.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #323
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Yes, but you are using them as examples to prove that he's arrogant when these are very obviously supposed to show he's trying to get rid of his arrogance was all I was saying. Admittance is the first step towards fixing the problem.
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
08-04-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:

HE IS ARROGANT... maybe he's looking to change his ways..... but PRESENT tense.. at least when he wrote it... he's arrogant.. narcissistic.

even now, the man is arrogant ... and I am glad he is. he should be.

not to say he can't be humble or show humility or be humbled... I do think he's a caring person. Just gotten thick skin from how things are.. how people are... over time... and it reflects in his personality and lyrics.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #324
On Probation

Quote:

HE IS ARROGANT... maybe he's looking to change his ways..... but PRESENT tense.. at least when he wrote it... he's arrogant.. narcissistic.

even now, the man is arrogant ... and I am glad he is. he should be.

not to say he can't be humble or show humility or be humbled... I do think he's a caring person. Just gotten thick skin from how things are.. how people are... over time... and it reflects in his personality and lyrics.
pushtheenvelope's Avatar pushtheenvelope
08-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Think you're on the right track.

Not sure if you were stirring the pot in regards to the tracks having one sole meaning, but congrats on being able to ruffle a few feathers.

Don't think the song has anything to do with psychedelics. In fact, now that the mumbling has been deciphered, the song's meaning becomes quite explicit. At least for me anyway. Nevermind how many signatures are smiliar to third eye and which riff sounds most like lateralus, this song, for me, is pretty much exactly what you've been rambling about.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #325
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Think you're on the right track.

Not sure if you were stirring the pot in regards to the tracks having one sole meaning, but congrats on being able to ruffle a few feathers.

Don't think the song has anything to do with psychedelics. In fact, now that the mumbling has been deciphered, the song's meaning becomes quite explicit. At least for me anyway. Nevermind how many signatures are smiliar to third eye and which riff sounds most like lateralus, this song, for me, is pretty much exactly what you've been rambling about.
02-15-2008, 04:21 AM

this thread is classic
Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #326
On Probation

Bincount™: 119

this thread is classic
ambivalentika
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations View Post
and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
this guy is onto something.

putting pieces together from lateralus, jumbo thread when done
Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #327
On Probation

Bincount™: 3
Re: Maynard's patience wearing thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations View Post
and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
this guy is onto something.

putting pieces together from lateralus, jumbo thread when done

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply