Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
centaur
05-13-2006, 07:07 AM

having listened to 10,000 days pretty intensively and having listened to Lateralus, Aenima, and Undertow in the meantime, I am ready to specify my preferences.

10,000 days>Lateralus>Aenima>Undertow

Lateralus is definitely better instrumentally.

But 10 kd is closer to me emotionally, I can feel and live this album more than its predecessor. I am sure many of you will disagree, especially that nowadays most people champion reason/intelect rather than emotions.

Anyway, before you get to emotional, remember, I am not saying this or that record is better - that would be childlish as each Tool's record has its own life and is different. We are talking about preferences here and I am curious what you feel about it and what your votes are

greetings
Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
finally ready to cast my vote

having listened to 10,000 days pretty intensively and having listened to Lateralus, Aenima, and Undertow in the meantime, I am ready to specify my preferences.

10,000 days>Lateralus>Aenima>Undertow

Lateralus is definitely better instrumentally.

But 10 kd is closer to me emotionally, I can feel and live this album more than its predecessor. I am sure many of you will disagree, especially that nowadays most people champion reason/intelect rather than emotions.

Anyway, before you get to emotional, remember, I am not saying this or that record is better - that would be childlish as each Tool's record has its own life and is different. We are talking about preferences here and I am curious what you feel about it and what your votes are

greetings
OFFLINE |  
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
05-13-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur

greetings
how about, you know, try to read the forum instead of making a new thread? just look around, every kiddo that got their hands on 10kd is venting their opinion, we don't need another thread for that.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21
Re: finally ready to cast my vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur

greetings
how about, you know, try to read the forum instead of making a new thread? just look around, every kiddo that got their hands on 10kd is venting their opinion, we don't need another thread for that.
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
05-13-2006, 07:15 AM

Nice post.

This record is very classic rock to me. My take is that their masterpiece has already been made (and it wasn't in this century). And I think a lot of us have different opinions on that. But why do they need to make it again? It's not like it's disappearing. They wrote that music. They performed that music. It exists in eternity forever.

All they have ever needed to do in my opinion is stay true to themselves and their sound. And they have.

10K Days has done this, and is without a doubt their most naked album emotionally. And each time I listen, it becomes more connected to me. You have to listen to it nonjudgmentally. Don't go looking for something in the music. Let the music find you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to actually write that much. It just poured out of me.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Nice post.

This record is very classic rock to me. My take is that their masterpiece has already been made (and it wasn't in this century). And I think a lot of us have different opinions on that. But why do they need to make it again? It's not like it's disappearing. They wrote that music. They performed that music. It exists in eternity forever.

All they have ever needed to do in my opinion is stay true to themselves and their sound. And they have.

10K Days has done this, and is without a doubt their most naked album emotionally. And each time I listen, it becomes more connected to me. You have to listen to it nonjudgmentally. Don't go looking for something in the music. Let the music find you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to actually write that much. It just poured out of me.
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
05-13-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfish
I agree with you. But I think seeing as these boards have really quieted down in the past couple of days it's not such a bad thing to see movement of any kind on here.

I thought his pointing out of the album as extremely emotional to him rather than discussing all the technical aspects of the music/songwriting was actually kind of fresh.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I agree with you. But I think seeing as these boards have really quieted down in the past couple of days it's not such a bad thing to see movement of any kind on here.

I thought his pointing out of the album as extremely emotional to him rather than discussing all the technical aspects of the music/songwriting was actually kind of fresh.
OFFLINE |  
2and46's Avatar 2and46
05-13-2006, 07:27 AM

I don't look at either album (Lateralus, 10k, Aenima) as being better than each other. Each has its own process and meaning. I like to rock to Aenima, be spiritually enlightened by Lateralus, and be emotionally captivated with 10,000 days. They are all masterpieces. Undertow started my TOOL quest, but has been left in the dust by the last three (still listen to it now and then however...when I feel nostalgic or feeling angry and want to rock out).
Old 05-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

I don't look at either album (Lateralus, 10k, Aenima) as being better than each other. Each has its own process and meaning. I like to rock to Aenima, be spiritually enlightened by Lateralus, and be emotionally captivated with 10,000 days. They are all masterpieces. Undertow started my TOOL quest, but has been left in the dust by the last three (still listen to it now and then however...when I feel nostalgic or feeling angry and want to rock out).
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
05-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Undertow, other than 4 degrees, is a little one-sided to me. It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but all of tool's other works, even Opiate, just seem more diverse in their moods across the length of the disc. So yeah, I see what you're saying.

When I feel mad about something, though, all I gotta do is crank Bottom and I'll usually feel better. =)
Old 05-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Undertow, other than 4 degrees, is a little one-sided to me. It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but all of tool's other works, even Opiate, just seem more diverse in their moods across the length of the disc. So yeah, I see what you're saying.

When I feel mad about something, though, all I gotta do is crank Bottom and I'll usually feel better. =)
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-13-2006, 09:20 AM

thank you for sharing that with us. i am happy you have found
an attachment in the emotional capabilities of 10,000 days :)
like you i found that in lateralus, no other album has captured my
emotion like that has, with that being said though. all of the albums
encapsulate different arenas for me. certainly 10,000 days is
limitless in its beauty, it has made me smile, cry and dance all in 80 minutes
i can safely say no album has done that before. i was so happy to finally
hear new work, as it has a synthesis that i didn't feel before. tool just keep
doing what they do best. They enrapture me
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

thank you for sharing that with us. i am happy you have found
an attachment in the emotional capabilities of 10,000 days :)
like you i found that in lateralus, no other album has captured my
emotion like that has, with that being said though. all of the albums
encapsulate different arenas for me. certainly 10,000 days is
limitless in its beauty, it has made me smile, cry and dance all in 80 minutes
i can safely say no album has done that before. i was so happy to finally
hear new work, as it has a synthesis that i didn't feel before. tool just keep
doing what they do best. They enrapture me
05-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Yeah, Lateralus is the album that has attached itself to me. That album is my favorite of all time.

Lateralus > 10,000 Days = Aenima > Undertow > Opiate
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #8

Bincount™: 0

Yeah, Lateralus is the album that has attached itself to me. That album is my favorite of all time.

Lateralus > 10,000 Days = Aenima > Undertow > Opiate
05-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:

i agree 100%
Old 05-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

i agree 100%
OFFLINE |  
Black Rabbit's Avatar Black Rabbit
05-14-2006, 11:10 AM

10k days=Lateralus=Aenima>Undertow=Opiate>99% of the modern bullshit popular rock music
Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #10

Bincount™: 3

10k days=Lateralus=Aenima>Undertow=Opiate>99% of the modern bullshit popular rock music
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply