opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #4841
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

"thought it would take longer than that." If anyone has 2 extra floors for the 2nd night I need them. Let me know. Thanks
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #4842
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i thought i heard the other day there is a third show in the works.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #4843
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

There is, for Feb. 15th. It's posted on ticketmaster now, tickets go on sale on the 20th of this month.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #4844
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey so uhh Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!!

This is the only thread on the internet I check daily I think. Not the only forum, but the only THREAD. One day I hope to show up and see some sorta great news about a new album/tour SOMETHING. Keeping the hope alive until then...

Thanks again Junior for all the insight, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate it sir. If you were at the same bar as me sometime I'd surely buy you a beer or two. Hope to see you on tour w/ the fellas again soon.

Cheers... Happy New Year to all too!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #4845
Level 4 - Thinker

I know I have posted this before but the clientel seems to have shifted a bit. how does everyone feel about the members of Tool being in the Limelight alot more recently then before. I don't know about you but I never thought that I would see a day where Danny would sell a ride in his Lambourghi which he got for doing an ad I believe. personally I think they are tired for fighting it and at the same time realize the amount of money involved in publicity and decided just to go for it. What are your thoughts?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #4846
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan#1 View Post
I know I have posted this before but the clientel seems to have shifted a bit. how does everyone feel about the members of Tool being in the Limelight alot more recently then before. I don't know about you but I never thought that I would see a day where Danny would sell a ride in his Lambourghi which he got for doing an ad I believe. personally I think they are tired for fighting it and at the same time realize the amount of money involved in publicity and decided just to go for it. What are your thoughts?
I think they have accepted (finally) that they are huge stars and widely recognized now after selling out arenas for years upon years. I don't blame them one bit, a lot of success comes from notoriety and they are just utlizing that as most would. Although I will say they could each be using it a LOT more, they seem to just use it here and there.

I have followed Tool since the early 90s when I saw them at Lollapalooza and was blown away and I consider myself to be educated about a lot of things Tool because I strive to know those things out of interest -- and I personally have no issue with the sort of things you mention in your comment. I think they are just going with the flow and utlizing their notoriety here and there to help with their other interests and maybe to make a few extra bucks. Nothing wrong with that... I don't really consider it taking advantage either... I might have when I was 19 or something and outspoken about selling out or something like that, but you live and learn, and these guys are just doing their thing and enjoying the perks that come along with the hard work they've put in over the last 15+ years.

Not saying that this is where you were going, but I get tired of people accusing bands of selling out when they aren't. This is their career, why wouldn't they want to be as successful as possible and to make as much money as they can from the extended benefits that come from being in a highly successful band? There are certainly examples of sell out type bands, that just over-market and make trash merch, etc., to bleed their fans dry -- but Tool are far from that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #4847
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp View Post
I think they have accepted (finally) that they are huge stars and widely recognized now after selling out arenas for years upon years. I don't blame them one bit, a lot of success comes from notoriety and they are just utlizing that as most would. Although I will say they could each be using it a LOT more, they seem to just use it here and there.

I have followed Tool since the early 90s when I saw them at Lollapalooza and was blown away and I consider myself to be educated about a lot of things Tool because I strive to know those things out of interest -- and I personally have no issue with the sort of things you mention in your comment. I think they are just going with the flow and utlizing their notoriety here and there to help with their other interests and maybe to make a few extra bucks. Nothing wrong with that... I don't really consider it taking advantage either... I might have when I was 19 or something and outspoken about selling out or something like that, but you live and learn, and these guys are just doing their thing and enjoying the perks that come along with the hard work they've put in over the last 15+ years.

Not saying that this is where you were going, but I get tired of people accusing bands of selling out when they aren't. This is their career, why wouldn't they want to be as successful as possible and to make as much money as they can from the extended benefits that come from being in a highly successful band? There are certainly examples of sell out type bands, that just over-market and make trash merch, etc., to bleed their fans dry -- but Tool are far from that.
Good post.
Happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #4848
Level 4 - Thinker

I totally see where you are coming from and agree with your post I was just mentioning that this would not happen 10 years ago when they bashed this type of publicity but hey it is making them a shit load of money.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #4849
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think some of you need to review the lyrics to "Hooker with a Penis". Happy Kwanzaa everybody!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #4850
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Tool is not an indie rock band. If you read the article in the Revolver magazine that was dedicated to Tool, they said that former bassist Paul D'amour was removed from the band because he was too Indie rock. He wasn't able to come to terms with the success they were experiencing. If you can get your hands on a copy of this article, you should give it a good read.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #4851
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
I don't know about you but I never thought that I would see a day where Danny would sell a ride in his Lambourghi which he got for doing an ad I believe.
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but if you are referring to Josh Freese's "$75,000 cd offer featuring a ride in DC's Lambo while tripping on shrooms," deal awhile back. That was a joke.

I believe junior can confirm this.

As for the selling out stuff, not sure what you're talking about. MJK has done a sunglasses ad (but it was pretty cool), and the wine stuff (his passion), DC has done some drum stuff and an advert for Lambo, but their music has never been in any commercials or movies (Bill Hicks would haunt them forever if they did).

Now, Mountain Song by Jane's Addiction in that Coor's Light commercial last year was selling out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #4852
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but if you are referring to Josh Freese's "$75,000 cd offer featuring a ride in DC's Lambo while tripping on shrooms," deal awhile back. That was a joke.

I believe junior can confirm this.
Wait a minute.
I bought that version of the CD.
That sucks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #4853
Level 4 - Thinker

If it was a joke then I feel like a dick and should not be allowed to post here. Knowing the band (as far as they allow us) it does sound like a joke they would say.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #4854
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

As for the selling out stuff, not sure what you're talking about. MJK has done a sunglasses ad (but it was pretty cool), and the wine stuff (his passion), DC has done some drum stuff and an advert for Lambo, but their music has never been in any commercials or movies (Bill Hicks would haunt them forever if they did).

Now, Mountain Song by Jane's Addiction in that Coor's Light commercial last year was selling out.
Escape from L.A. (1996) ("Sweat")

Not to mention Parabola during that shitty MTV programming like cribs real world etc.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #4855
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Escape from L.A. (1996) ("Sweat")

Not to mention Parabola during that shitty MTV programming like cribs real world etc.
Good call. Forgot about Escape from LA, but that may have been a case of Zoo Entertainment owning the rights to the song and selling it to the movie without the consent of the band. I remember reading a bunch of interviews with MJK bitching about how they got screwed with their first contract and maybe that was part of it. And Zoo did go out of business later that year (1996) and tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to sell TOOL's contract to some other company.
-there is more to this story, but I can't remember it. Something about tool delaying the release of AEnima so the new record company couldn't assume their contract. And their former manager getting fired by Adam for doing something related to this whole deal-

And, I'm pretty sure the band wasn't silly rich in early 1996 when that deal would have been worked out.

As far as the MTV shit goes. I'm pretty sure when a band submits a video, MTV can pretty much play it whenever they want.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #4856
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
As far as the MTV shit goes. I'm pretty sure when a band submits a video, MTV can pretty much play it whenever they want.
As far as I know, that was the unfortunate truth back when MTV used to show videos.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 AM   #4857

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
As far as I know, that was the unfortunate truth back when MTV used to show videos.
or anything music related.....
Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #4858
Level 2 - Poster

General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Wishing everybody a good year with loads of new music and non-music related happiness!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #4859
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Any of you guys played Guitar Hero World Tour? There is something off to me when Fleetwood Mac is being played on a Tool inspired backdrop. Is GH 'selling out'? Happy New Year everyone!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #4860
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I liked the newsletter on toolband.com. Sounds like a new album in 2009 is a good possibility. It's about time we got some reassurance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #4861
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Wait a minute.
I bought that version of the CD.
That sucks.
Nope, just Mars Volta again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #4862
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanminded050 View Post
I liked the newsletter on toolband.com. Sounds like a new album in 2009 is a good possibility. It's about time we got some reassurance.
i wouldnt count your eggs before they hatch
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #4863
Level 7 - Loquacious

My thoughts are that the "Big Thing" mentioned at Toolband recently is likely one of these 3 things:

Live CD/DVD - It hasn't been ruled out by Blair, and obviously they have everything they need to put it together. And according to Toolband, Adam has been working on "something".

New Album - Obviously, that something Adam is working on could be riffs for a new album. Though it seems like Blair would have indicated that the "big thing" is the talk about a new album when he mentioned the possibility of a new album in his recent Newsletter: He would have no reason not to connect the "big thing" with a future album since he has already openly discussed the band's intentions for a new album.

New Mini Tour - Tool first practiced together in 1989. Its conceivable they would consider celebrating 20 years of the band in some fashion: Perhaps by having a small tour, presumably playing older material. And in Blair's recent Newsletter, he did not rule out a tour as early as the Spring. And though I seriously doubt a Spring tour is possible, it seems like Tool may be mulling a "pre-album" tour of some sort.

Last edited by Runner701; 01-04-2009 at 08:18 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #4864
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm thinking the "Big Thing" is probably a new music video, The Pot most likely, although I heard mention of Rosetta Stoned somewhere... probably someone making shit up. Or maybe it's something no one has really come up with yet, I don't think many of the other suggestions or ideas out there are what the big thing is.

I just don't see a Live DVD or CD coming from Tool... at least in the near future, there's a clip on youtube of Maynard and Adam saying they don't like the idea of a live DVD, they want people to come see them live. Understandable, but I'd bet good money that most of the people that would buy the Live DVD/CD have either seen them live before or are dying to see them live (If you couldn't afford tickets, or you become a fan between albums for example), plus a good Live DVD would probably inspire more people to come out to their shows.

I don't think there's any way for the "Big Thing" to be a new album. The Band has already made it clear that they're doing another album, I don't think Blair would mask it as a "big thing", they've been too open about definitely making a new album.

I was thinking that a site redesign could be the "big thing" but Blair talked about a possible site redesign in the new newsletter, I seem to remember him saying that he couldn't talk about what the "big thing" was until it was ready to be officially announced.

I don't think they'll do a tour before their next album, but it's possible that they could do a couple shows (probably around LA or in Vegas.)

The thing i liked in the newsletter was that Blair said that based on how things worked in the past, they started seriously working on a new album after the Holidays, and the last 2 albums have come out in May. Of course things aren't always the same, especially with Tool. I know that Maynard is doing his Puscifer shows in February, so he'll probably be focused on that and his wine until then at the very least. Hopefully Adam, Danny and Justin will be getting some work done while Maynard is doing his thing.

A new Tool album at any point during 2009 will make me extremely happy, much shorter wait than the last 2 albums. Lets hope for the best! :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #4865
Level 7 - Loquacious

Another video doesn't seem very "Big" in the scheme of recent Tool activity (album, tour, ghwt, etc.). Unfortunately, only a certain segment of the fan base anticipates new Tool videos.

Now, if those videos were associated with live material - that would be a "Big Thing". That would also justify Blair's call for "patience" in a recent Newsletter - he has been hounded for quite some time about the release of a live dvd/cd. Lets also not forget: in various interviews, Tool band members have stated that they have the material for such a live project...

Obviously I don't know for sure if the "Big Thing" is a live dvd/cd, a mini tour, a new album, or something else, but I doubt it is a new video...

Even so, we are all just speculating...

Last edited by Runner701; 01-05-2009 at 03:42 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #4866
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There will never be a live DVD from Tool.
Watch this youtube interview of Maynard. He is very opposed to releasing a live DVD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_Vb...eature=related
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #4867
Level 7 - Loquacious

Certainly a Tool DVD/Film project that would include live concert material has been controversial, but no one in the band (or Blair) has ruled it out...

Though I am far from certain that a live dvd is the "Big Thing", most evidence seems to suggest that some sort of dvd/live project could still be on the table:

Adam said this in a 2007 Billboard interview: “We all have ideas about it,” Jones says. “If I had my way, it would be a narrative story in a surreal fashion with as much money and special effects we could throw at it. I think some of the other guys would like to do pockets of all of that or something that’s live or we’re playing. It’s just talk right now.”

I remember Maynard also had a late 2007/early 2008 interview with NRK where he suggested that a live or live(ish) project would be created, but not until it could be done right... (let me know if anyone can find a link or exact text)

Blair also had this to say in the March 2008 Newsletter:

SUBJECT: DVD

QUESTION: "Well, I'm sure you get this question a lot, but is tool ever going to release a collection of their music videos and live performances on to a dvd? (not salival). I wish they would, I mean there's always bootlegs but I'd rather buy it from Tool! Thanks!

"To answer you, though: I think at some point they will release one, but first they're working on a new Tool beach (or bath) towel, and this, of course, is causing them to spend a lot of time and energy (what with the design and such, along with those decoy towels placed on various beaches in the world to foil the plans of any would-be bootleggers out there). But, yes, someday perhaps if there's a market for it."

I imagine that any dvd with live material would be atypically presented, much like what Adam described in his quote above...

Last edited by Runner701; 01-06-2009 at 11:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #4868
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm thinking about going to the local wine bottle signing Feb. 19th. I have a cool poster from the San Francisco show Dec. 11th 07.
http://stcharliesangels.com/P1070092%20(Large).JPG
I would like to bring it and see if I could get Maynard to sign it. I'm not sure if the store or Maynard would do it.What are the chances?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #4869
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporary sanity View Post
I'm thinking about going to the local wine bottle signing Feb. 19th. I have a cool poster from the San Francisco show Dec. 11th 07.
http://stcharliesangels.com/P1070092%20(Large).JPG
I would like to bring it and see if I could get Maynard to sign it. I'm not sure if the store or Maynard would do it.What are the chances?
Well, me being under 21 (haha, that's odd, I homebrew...I was gonna try and give Maynard and Eric some pretty bomb oktoberfest but noooooooo), had to get my roommate to get a bottle in SF last friday. Sounded pretty much like a remote operation, aka, middle man takes bottle of wine, gives to Maynard, signs it, gives it back. Apparently Eric and Maynard were just kinda chillin, not saying much, then again, I wasn't inside. I don't blame em', I picked up a head cold last weekend and it seems like everyone else in the city does too, haha. Then again, my friend in San Diego said she tried to shake his hand and he said, "I would, but I pee on my hands, and I don't want to get pee on yours." Guess it depends on management at Whole Foods (SF probably is a lot stricter in those regards than MOST places!).
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #4870
Level 2 - Poster

I want admins to make "Puscifer ticket hook-up?" thread. In fact, my friend can't come to Vegas by her job, So I have extra tickets. So, I'd like to sell... I'm thinking to sell these nearby or in front of the Pearl on the days.
acircularvision.org
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #4871
Level 8 - Vociferous

Last edited by junior; 01-22-2009 at 04:55 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #4872

This show is going to be so f'n good!!! I can't wait!

The SPIN article doesn't exactly pay attention to the part about "best of the best of the best", but with Jill Talley and Tom Kenney there, I am thrilled.

Last edited by 420scooter; 01-23-2009 at 04:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #4873

Anyone else going Friday the 13th?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #4874
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

i will be at the friday 13th show. that promo video is hilarious...especially the tool and APC questions :)

btw, the SPIN article says there will be a ticket re-release for all 3 shows on saturday @ noon
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 01-23-2009 at 10:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #4875
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420scooter View Post
Anyone else going Friday the 13th?
No, i've already seen the movies.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #4876
Level 4 - Thinker

The promos are so funny, looks like the shows are gonna be well worth the ticket price, hope MJ comes over to this little pocket of the world soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #4877
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but in the new Revolver Mag there is an article about MMA and musicians...

Well, there is a quote from MJK in there in response to the question "Any Tool plans for 2009?" and his response is: "Adam is working on a new video at the moment. I can't say for what song. When that winds down, we're gonna tr to get back in the writing space. When we've actually picked an engineer you'll have an idea that there might be a record coming someday"

So I guess this confirms the next big thing coming soon is a video? Sure sounds like it... we already knew they'd be writing a new rekid eventually.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #4878
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp View Post
So I guess this confirms the next big thing coming soon is a video? Sure sounds like it... we already knew they'd be writing a new rekid eventually.
Dissappointing, no doubt.

And if this handles about "The Pot", as speculated earlier, it's even more dissappointing.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #4879
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Off topic, yes, but I thought this was a cool quote from MJK back in the day. It kinda explains why he seems like he has such contempt for his fans.
"What I wear, how I walk, who I'm f***ing, what I eat, what time I
go to bed has nothing to do with what we're doing.
Presenting those things as somehow being part of Tool is deceptive.
It's not honest. I don't embrace anybody. I want my space, my
distance. I'm not a very warm person. I'm sure that most of the
people whose music I love are assholes. Where I met them is at their
music. That inspired me to do something for myself."
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #4880
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

anyone who went to Hammerstein ballroom back in May '01 remember the setlist?? I can't for the life of me, it was my first Tool show and I would like to figure it out. All I remember is opening with the Grudge, at least I think. . .
5/20/2001 - NY, 9/20/01 - ME, 9/21/01 - MA, 9/22/01 - CT ~ 8/15/02 - NJ, 8/16/02 - MA, 8/17/02 - RI, 8/18/02 - NH, 10/28/02 - MA ~ 9/29/06 - MA, 10/3/06 - NH, 10/5/06 - CT ~ 7/12/07 - MA, 7/18/07 - NJ ~ 1/28/2012 - MA
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: