Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
boscobytes
10-23-2006, 04:44 AM

Our snake is named Jambi...after the genie. He grants wishes.

As I read the song titles I thought...Now that's what I'm talking about! Cool.
Is it Indonesia that puts us on the same page?

....hey Jambi, did you have anything to do with this?

Meka leka hi meka hiney ho!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #161

Bincount™: 0
Re: why it is called "jambi"

Our snake is named Jambi...after the genie. He grants wishes.

As I read the song titles I thought...Now that's what I'm talking about! Cool.
Is it Indonesia that puts us on the same page?

....hey Jambi, did you have anything to do with this?

Meka leka hi meka hiney ho!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
sabbo
11-27-2006, 02:00 PM

This is the only connection i can make to Maynards son.

Devo, has the same name as the band Devo, Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for Pee-wee's playhouse, Jambi was a character on this show, as we all know.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #162
Level 2 - Poster

This is the only connection i can make to Maynards son.

Devo, has the same name as the band Devo, Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for Pee-wee's playhouse, Jambi was a character on this show, as we all know.
magicbus's Avatar magicbus
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM

That's kinda stretching it though...
Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #163
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

That's kinda stretching it though...
mjkajdcjc's Avatar mjkajdcjc
11-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Because it sounds cool.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #164
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Because it sounds cool.
theDEXorphan's Avatar theDEXorphan
11-27-2006, 04:51 PM

because satan said so.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #165
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222

because satan said so.
epistomai's Avatar epistomai
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM

I don't know if this was exposed before, but I've my doubts about some anoying guesses about Jambi...

Check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambi
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #166
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I don't know if this was exposed before, but I've my doubts about some anoying guesses about Jambi...

Check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambi
12-02-2006, 04:23 AM

There used to be a tv programme or something and there was a character called 'Jambi' in it and whenever someone said 'wish', it would get excited and go mental...

The good news is there is no bad news!
Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 AM   #167
Level 2 - Poster

There used to be a tv programme or something and there was a character called 'Jambi' in it and whenever someone said 'wish', it would get excited and go mental...

The good news is there is no bad news!
ahhnevermind
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Is this still a debate?

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_07.php
SUBJECT: JAMBI, LAMBIC METER

Q: "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in Finnish Iamb is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

A: Finally! Very intentional.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #168
Level 4 - Thinker

Is this still a debate?

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_07.php
SUBJECT: JAMBI, LAMBIC METER

Q: "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in Finnish Iamb is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

A: Finally! Very intentional.
WwWwW's Avatar WwWwW
12-05-2006, 01:37 AM

I think Jambi is about Maynard's son, because

In a perfect circle, he made a song called Breņa, after the middle name of his fionce. Breņa is also a piece of land in Peru, and Jambi is a province in Indonesia. If I'm correct, these two countryparts are in opposite timezones.

So it could be that Jambi reflects his son, that Breņa and Jambi are the two persons closest to Maynard.

Another reason why it would be about Maynard's son is that he already made a song about his mon(in apc), and it would be kinda strange two write a song about a person twice(10,000 days is about her death). Also, the lyrics kinda tell someone how he/she is supposed to be. Maynard wants his son to live on instinct and shine(untill two become one, the opposite of cutting it right in two).
The lyrics in apc's Judith and the wings songs are saying that Maynard respects the christianity of his mom, but honestly disagrees. The Jambi lyrics are different imo.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #169
Level 4 - Thinker

I think Jambi is about Maynard's son, because

In a perfect circle, he made a song called Breņa, after the middle name of his fionce. Breņa is also a piece of land in Peru, and Jambi is a province in Indonesia. If I'm correct, these two countryparts are in opposite timezones.

So it could be that Jambi reflects his son, that Breņa and Jambi are the two persons closest to Maynard.

Another reason why it would be about Maynard's son is that he already made a song about his mon(in apc), and it would be kinda strange two write a song about a person twice(10,000 days is about her death). Also, the lyrics kinda tell someone how he/she is supposed to be. Maynard wants his son to live on instinct and shine(untill two become one, the opposite of cutting it right in two).
The lyrics in apc's Judith and the wings songs are saying that Maynard respects the christianity of his mom, but honestly disagrees. The Jambi lyrics are different imo.
Lebowski Urban Achiever
12-19-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen View Post
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded. You can't just forget about the mountainous island kingdom that was ruled by a Sultan and divided by the interest of foreign imperialists until its strength withered away and was eventually swallowed by the tide of colonialism. The telling of this story doesn't proclude the telling of other stories through this song, but the fact that it is told means that it CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE THAT THE NAME OF THE SONG IS JAMBI. All this suggestion of embracing a lyrical foible or non-specific-title "Jam B" is beneath the intelect of a band that plans such incredible intricacies into every second of every CD. THINK!
You did your homework, pat yourself on the back for having done so. Still no need to be hostile.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #170
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen View Post
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded. You can't just forget about the mountainous island kingdom that was ruled by a Sultan and divided by the interest of foreign imperialists until its strength withered away and was eventually swallowed by the tide of colonialism. The telling of this story doesn't proclude the telling of other stories through this song, but the fact that it is told means that it CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE THAT THE NAME OF THE SONG IS JAMBI. All this suggestion of embracing a lyrical foible or non-specific-title "Jam B" is beneath the intelect of a band that plans such incredible intricacies into every second of every CD. THINK!
You did your homework, pat yourself on the back for having done so. Still no need to be hostile.
januscomplex's Avatar januscomplex
12-20-2006, 11:31 AM

aahnevermind got it
Tool newsletter confirmed it
I'm sure the other reasons were right too, but taking into account their heavy influence from Meshuggah on this album and how they start really playing with rythm even more, the Iamb inference seems the most correct.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #171
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

aahnevermind got it
I'm sure the other reasons were right too, but taking into account their heavy influence from Meshuggah on this album and how they start really playing with rythm even more, the Iamb inference seems the most correct.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
12-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by januscomplex View Post
aahnevermind got it
Me thinks that clever little Maynard is perhaps combining reference to all 3 things, the Iamd meter, the indonesian providence and perhaps the genie as well. As we all know, he intentionally multi-layers his lyrics/songs in such a way.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #172
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by januscomplex View Post
aahnevermind got it
Me thinks that clever little Maynard is perhaps combining reference to all 3 things, the Iamd meter, the indonesian providence and perhaps the genie as well. As we all know, he intentionally multi-layers his lyrics/songs in such a way.
12-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Maybe it's the title cuz it's a cool word? Maybe this time he went super simple on us so we'd all scrable to fry our brains figuring out what it meant when in all reality he just liked the word?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #173
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maybe it's the title cuz it's a cool word? Maybe this time he went super simple on us so we'd all scrable to fry our brains figuring out what it meant when in all reality he just liked the word?
anarcho-commie's Avatar anarcho-commie
12-25-2006, 01:28 AM

I've got Jambi live from Seattle, and I swear on my life that he sings Jamb-eye.

Not to say he does on the album, because he doesn't. I think it's cool that he swiches it up for the live version though.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:28 AM   #174

Bincount™: 63

I've got Jambi live from Seattle, and I swear on my life that he sings Jamb-eye.

Not to say he does on the album, because he doesn't. I think it's cool that he swiches it up for the live version though.
12-28-2006, 10:50 AM

OR

He knew all the meanings of the name Jambi before he started to write or at least, complete, the song.

Jambi is the name of the genie. Hence the "wish" lines

Jambi is the name of an Indonesian province. Hence the Indonesian imagery.

Jambi is Finnish for the word iamb. An iamb is a certain meter used in poetry - the song, specifically the lyrics/vocals, consequently, is written in iambic meter.

The "Jam Bi" eyes line, which is CLEARLY in the mix, though it's not like, the *real* lyric being sung, is on a track of its own and is impossible to miss. Unless you're just deaf. That line is added simply because it fit the phonetics of the verse and we all know this is kind of like Tools joke album. Joke album meaning they do a lot of things on here to show that they're taken too seriously.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 12-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #175
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

OR

He knew all the meanings of the name Jambi before he started to write or at least, complete, the song.

Jambi is Finnish for the word iamb. An iamb is a certain meter used in poetry - the song, specifically the lyrics/vocals, consequently, is written in iambic meter.

The "Jam Bi" eyes line, which is CLEARLY in the mix, though it's not like, the *real* lyric being sung, is on a track of its own and is impossible to miss. Unless you're just deaf. That line is added simply because it fit the phonetics of the verse and we all know this is kind of like Tools joke album. Joke album meaning they do a lot of things on here to show that they're taken too seriously.

Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
12-29-2006, 02:10 PM

I don't know if someone has said this by now, but it's pronounced Jahmbee not Jambee
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #176
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't know if someone has said this by now, but it's pronounced Jahmbee not Jambee
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM

Yes, and in Finnish it is pronounced 'ee-YOM-bee'

Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #177
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yes, and in Finnish it is pronounced 'ee-YOM-bee'

01-03-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
OR

That's kinda' what I was just saying....just way more detailed and informing..lol
Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #178
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
OR

That's kinda' what I was just saying....just way more detailed and informing..lol
01-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Well, informing is good, yeah?

Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #179
Level 8 - Vociferous

01-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
But of course. I was complimenting you on a job better done than I.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #180
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Oh, I know what you mean(t). There was no cynacism/sarcasm in my reply, though I can see how it could possibly come across that way. No worries at all.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #181
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Oh, I know what you mean(t). There was no cynacism/sarcasm in my reply, though I can see how it could possibly come across that way. No worries at all.

JAF's Avatar JAF
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM

The only thing that bothers me about the island theory is that tons of sultans ruled countless islands which were all taken over one way or another, and all of which have some sort of "mountain." Regardless, I enjoy the pee-wee theory best. "If I could then I would wish it all away..." Well who grants wishes? Jambi! It's so randomly structured that it makes perfect Tool-sense.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #182
JAF
Level 3 - Talker

The only thing that bothers me about the island theory is that tons of sultans ruled countless islands which were all taken over one way or another, and all of which have some sort of "mountain." Regardless, I enjoy the pee-wee theory best. "If I could then I would wish it all away..." Well who grants wishes? Jambi! It's so randomly structured that it makes perfect Tool-sense.
01-27-2007, 11:59 PM

I can see Maynard singing in a jam session with the band and coming up with the idea of the line 'Wish it all away' and so he's working on it and someone has the idea 'How do you wish it all the way? With Jambi the genie?" and that's kinda 'ha-ha' at the moment but then the name Jambi sticks in Maynard's head and he builds the entire song off of things he can find that have to do with the word Jambi.

Probably nothing like what really happened, but this is the story that I paint for myself when I try to figure out what he meant with the title and lyrics.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #183
Level 8 - Vociferous

I can see Maynard singing in a jam session with the band and coming up with the idea of the line 'Wish it all away' and so he's working on it and someone has the idea 'How do you wish it all the way? With Jambi the genie?" and that's kinda 'ha-ha' at the moment but then the name Jambi sticks in Maynard's head and he builds the entire song off of things he can find that have to do with the word Jambi.

Probably nothing like what really happened, but this is the story that I paint for myself when I try to figure out what he meant with the title and lyrics.

01-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Good 'nuff.....and always a possiblilty
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #184
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Good 'nuff.....and always a possiblilty
02-11-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:

absloutely the way i thought about how the song was written...

Now this is ABSLOUTELY the coinsidense you dont want to read...
did you know that the word "Janbi" in arabic means "next to me" or "by my side" and the egyptions pronounce the "n" an "m" ... Dont get too suprised to hear an egyption dude saying "jambi" all the time now...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #185
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

absloutely the way i thought about how the song was written...

Now this is ABSLOUTELY the coinsidense you dont want to read...
did you know that the word "Janbi" in arabic means "next to me" or "by my side" and the egyptions pronounce the "n" an "m" ... Dont get too suprised to hear an egyption dude saying "jambi" all the time now...
RosetaStoned46n2's Avatar RosetaStoned46n2
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM

I agree with the genie one. Jambi from Pee Wee was a genie "Wish it Away". Plus Pee Wee was probably a good show for acidheads. Maybe someone had some creepy trip while seeing Jambi.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #186
Level 1 - Lurker

I agree with the genie one. Jambi from Pee Wee was a genie "Wish it Away". Plus Pee Wee was probably a good show for acidheads. Maybe someone had some creepy trip while seeing Jambi.
O.G.T.92's Avatar O.G.T.92
03-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Just as long as we're trying to think completely abstractly, what about the J being pronounced as an H, like spanish words? I don't think it's right but maybe throwing it out there is the clue that will crack this baby open. I certainly didn't expect Aenima to be pronounced Ohn-ima. Just thinking out loud, you all may incinerate me.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #187
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42

Just as long as we're trying to think completely abstractly, what about the J being pronounced as an H, like spanish words? I don't think it's right but maybe throwing it out there is the clue that will crack this baby open. I certainly didn't expect Aenima to be pronounced Ohn-ima. Just thinking out loud, you all may incinerate me.
PhilTheVoid's Avatar PhilTheVoid
03-24-2007, 02:51 AM

listen to the Bootleg of Nova Rock festival 2006 in Austria when Maynard introduces the song as [Jambee]

damnit, why are there always so many pronounciation debates regarding Tool songs?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #188
Level 4 - Thinker

listen to the Bootleg of Nova Rock festival 2006 in Austria when Maynard introduces the song as [Jambee]

damnit, why are there always so many pronounciation debates regarding Tool songs?
03-24-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone View Post
I was surprised Chino hit those notes and sounded pretty good.
Deftones suck live.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #189
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone View Post
I was surprised Chino hit those notes and sounded pretty good.
Deftones suck live.
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM

The first time I heard the song, I was pretty sure it was a reference to Jambi from Pee-Wee's Playhouse
Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #190
Suicide Booth ID: 17

Bincount™: 1891

The first time I heard the song, I was pretty sure it was a reference to Jambi from Pee-Wee's Playhouse
03-24-2007, 08:09 PM

I read somewhere (toolband.com, I think) that the song was actually named after Jambi from Pee-Wee Herman.
That would make sense to me because Maynard talks about wishing it all away in the song.
Jambi granted wishes.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #191
On Probation

I read somewhere (toolband.com, I think) that the song was actually named after Jambi from Pee-Wee Herman.
That would make sense to me because Maynard talks about wishing it all away in the song.
Jambi granted wishes.
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM

The one thing that is or will be evident (I doubt Tool will ever say) is that the title seems to be another variation on a theme of synchronicity. Maybe that is what is to be gleaned here.

Although, it is an interesting topic.

and hello, by the way.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #192

Bincount™: 20

The one thing that is or will be evident (I doubt Tool will ever say) is that the title seems to be another variation on a theme of synchronicity. Maybe that is what is to be gleaned here.

Although, it is an interesting topic.

and hello, by the way.
03-27-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paravariations View Post
Jambi granted wishes.
Yes, the title is related to Jambi, the genie from Pee Wee's Playhouse. It was already stated in an interview with Danny Carey, now can the rest of you quit throwing up irrelevant suggestions
Old 03-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #193
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by paravariations View Post
Jambi granted wishes.
Yes, the title is related to Jambi, the genie from Pee Wee's Playhouse. It was already stated in an interview with Danny Carey, now can the rest of you quit throwing up irrelevant suggestions
3rdi
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So why bother responding with sarcasm? Perhaps some of us don't have as much time to read those oh so brilliant fan mags,
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #194
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
So why bother responding with sarcasm? Perhaps some of us don't have as much time to read those oh so brilliant fan mags,
03-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdi View Post
Yeah I guess you're right, now get off the computer and go pick up your Sally Home Remodeling magazine.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #195
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdi View Post
Yeah I guess you're right, now get off the computer and go pick up your Sally Home Remodeling magazine.
03-31-2007, 04:15 PM

I am Binary.

Jambi G-IN help you become one.
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #196
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1759

I am Binary.

Jambi G-IN help you become one.
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
fatlittleparasite
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion View Post
That's me puking in the background.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #197
Banned.

Bincount™: 2859

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion View Post
That's me puking in the background.
fatlittleparasite
05-29-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses View Post
wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.
I saw Ryan Stiles fuck a bitch once.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #198
Banned.

Bincount™: 2859

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses View Post
wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.
I saw Ryan Stiles fuck a bitch once.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply