opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 11. Pushit
User Name
Password
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Interpretation 38293

Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way I do about this song, or if you think this is kind of too far fetched. Here we go.

To me, the song is about ones resistance to change, and being in a situation you are not comfortable or familiar with.

I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

I am suffering because of my stubbornness to not change. I can end the suffering if I were to just "swallow" but I continue to "choke", and this is a reflection of myself. But why am I so resistant (who am I to judge?) - I dont know whats its like.

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me.

The parts about pushing and shoving are the inner struggle within. The love is the reality that nothing harmful will come of this, and will only strengthen you and help you overcome your fears. But you dont see it in this way and you take it as an attack.

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

This is the frustration one feels in having to make the decision to go through with it, or not. Completely convinced that if you go through with it, it will be the end (even though it is the exact opposite).

Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.

Again, faced with that fear, that decision that you can make (which would finally end this suffering) and both the good(overcoming the fear) and the bad(struggle) of this makes you feel alive.

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

You just wish it would all go away, don't want to fight anymore.

etc...

Ultimately it all comes down to making a choice between doing something, or refusing to change and living in fear.

Anybody else agree?

Last edited by FKassad; 05-07-2008 at 09:33 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Interpretation 38293

Your interpretation is certainly valid. Considering that all Tool songs can be used as an impetus for deep-thinking, it's almost impossible to not develop a valid explanation. The meaning of the song IS what it means to you.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Interpretation 38293

Wonderfull

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: