Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM

no its "in love with the dark side i'd found", its all in past tense "you changed taht all for me"
Old 05-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #321
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11
Re: lyrics - official thread

no its "in love with the dark side i'd found", its all in past tense "you changed taht all for me"
05-19-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliviousHypocrite
So, short story long, I'm going with this version of the lyrics (for now):

Silence Legion, save your poison
Silently just stay out of my way

You don't think it's:
"Silent legion, save your precious silence.
You just stay out of my way." ---?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #322
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: lyrics - Silent legion/silence leeches/silently

Quote:
So, short story long, I'm going with this version of the lyrics (for now):

Silence Legion, save your poison
Silently just stay out of my way

You don't think it's:
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Boof's Avatar Boof
05-19-2006, 09:49 AM

This might have been said, but I think it is praise instead of poison. The last two lines should then be:
Silent legion, save/say your praise
and silent leech just stay out of my way.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #323
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This might have been said, but I think it is praise instead of poison. The last two lines should then be:
Silent legion, save/say your praise
and silent leech just stay out of my way.
WitlessLiar
05-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Does anyone else hear this:

Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Pray in union
Pray in union
Pray in union

And then:

Silence, Legion, save your poison/praise and
Silence, Legion, stay out of my way

???
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #324

Bincount™: 3

Does anyone else hear this:

Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Pray in union
Pray in union
Pray in union

And then:

Silence, Legion, save your poison/praise and
Silence, Legion, stay out of my way

???
Warartist's Avatar Warartist
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM

i think its sun witlessliar
Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #325
Level 7 - Loquacious

i think its sun witlessliar
ObliviousHypocrite
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrorMynd
You don't think it's:
Nope... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #326
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
You don't think it's:
hausnelis
05-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Just wondering about the lyrics when he mention the benevolent sun...could it be benevolent SON??
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #327
Level 2 - Poster

Just wondering about the lyrics when he mention the benevolent sun...could it be benevolent SON??
hausnelis
05-19-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey99527
hmmm i hear it "in love with the dark side i've fell"
as in yoda speak
In love with the dark side i'd found (thats what i hear)
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #328
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey99527
hmmm i hear it "in love with the dark side i've fell"
as in yoda speak
In love with the dark side i'd found (thats what i hear)
05-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausnelis
i think its sun. that just makes more since to me but alot of people seem to think it's about his son and really really want to belive that.

Last edited by Warartist; 05-19-2006 at 02:15 PM..
Old 05-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #329
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausnelis
i think its sun. that just makes more since to me but alot of people seem to think it's about his son and really really want to belive that.

Last edited by Warartist; 05-19-2006 at 02:15 PM..
hausnelis
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warartist
its not that i want to believe it, just that the possibility is there, but sun probably is a better fit
Old 05-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #330
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warartist
its not that i want to believe it, just that the possibility is there, but sun probably is a better fit
carefreeonmorph's Avatar carefreeonmorph
05-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Hey I was just checkin out the lyrics you guys have posted for Jambi and I'm DAMN sure that Maynard is saying "Tempted the devil with my song" and not "Shout to the devil" or what ever is posted... Please consider adding that in brackets at least.
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #331
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey I was just checkin out the lyrics you guys have posted for Jambi and I'm DAMN sure that Maynard is saying "Tempted the devil with my song" and not "Shout to the devil" or what ever is posted... Please consider adding that in brackets at least.
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
MyrrorMynd's Avatar MyrrorMynd
05-20-2006, 04:42 AM

You don't think it's:

Quote:

Well, I wish someone would really give a good listen to the last two lines while keeping the lines above in mind. It fits real well, and sounds a lot closer than the alternatives I've heard. And not just because it was my contribution. Well, that's part of it. But seriously, there is no way that the word poison is in there. Not even close. Anyone else hear this?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #332
Level 3 - Talker

You don't think it's:

Quote:

Well, I wish someone would really give a good listen to the last two lines while keeping the lines above in mind. It fits real well, and sounds a lot closer than the alternatives I've heard. And not just because it was my contribution. Well, that's part of it. But seriously, there is no way that the word poison is in there. Not even close. Anyone else hear this?
05-20-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreeonmorph
Lots of people think its tempted.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #333
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreeonmorph
Lots of people think its tempted.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-20-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic9
dunno if anyone else has said this but i hear "Jambi eyes" (pronounced jam-bye eyes)
I keep seeing this, and it gets more and more annoying every time. Look into the word Jambi! Whether you want to go with the Indonesian province (backed up in the song by the feasting sultan on the king's mountain view withering away while presiding over a divided kingdom; which is the most compelling portion of provincial Jambi's history) or the Pee-Wee genie (supported by all that talk of wishing and a possible storyline involving Maynard and his son), you must recognize that the word is pronounced "Jom-bee," and not "Jam-bye." Even absent an in-depth analysis from MJK about the original, intended meanings of each, individual song; I think that we can all agree that Maynard's lyrics are steeped in meaningful fortitude. It is thus a stretch to me that he would intentionally mispronounce Jambi in a song that references so vividly its true, historical tragedy. To do so would almost devoid the powerful meaning of this subtext, and that seems contrary to Maynard's implied, lyrical ethos.

To reiterate past posts of mine, I do not believe that the song is solely about the indigenous struggles of provincial Jambi. It is my belief that he is using this historical epic as a reference to his more personal epics. By telling the story of Jambi, he provides a basis of comparison upon which to view his own struggles. His feelings of loss for his mother; his fear of experiencing that again with his son- or perhaps completing a cycle by perpetrating it upon his son; both of these struggles are brought into light in connection with this story. By comparing a large-scale atrocity that affected so many to his own demons, he lends his struggles a grander degree of significance. While in the inverse comparison, the parallels between his struggles and the struggles of so many lend the tragedy of Jambi a more personal nature- putting a face on a distant statistic.

The result is a profound duality between the tragedy of the many and the tragedy of the few. In essence, I believe that what is offered here is a statement that all tragedies, great and small, are equal and connected. They share, at root, dividing forces that do not value an intrinsic unity- and lack this value to the detriment of all humanity. Sometimes these forces are a natural element of the universe in which we live (as with Maynard's loss of his mother), and sometimes they are perpetrated by the arrogance of mankind (as with Dutch imperial actions in Indonesia, or as Maynard might- maybe??!?- view his rockstar lifestyle in relation to his son). Whether these forces are inevitable or the result of the choices people make, in the end each tragedy belongs to every one of us. It is inherent upon every one of us to proclaim our unity and stand behind our proclamation with our actions. Thus he leaves us with this:

Breathe in union, So, as one, survive
Another day and season.
Silence legions: Save your poison
Silence legions: Stay out of my way

Profound, but it is certainly not outside the grasp of Maynard to lay such dichotomy upon us.

Sorry to melodic9, I don't mean to single you out, you are one of many who share this opinion. And on that note, sorry to all of you who share that opinion, as I am aware that my initial tone is quite flamey. I was frustrated at the begining, but if I can't read my own post . . .

It's all about the unity.

Breathe in union.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #334
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic9
dunno if anyone else has said this but i hear "Jambi eyes" (pronounced jam-bye eyes)
I keep seeing this, and it gets more and more annoying every time. Look into the word Jambi! Whether you want to go with the Indonesian province (backed up in the song by the feasting sultan on the king's mountain view withering away while presiding over a divided kingdom; which is the most compelling portion of provincial Jambi's history) or the Pee-Wee genie (supported by all that talk of wishing and a possible storyline involving Maynard and his son), you must recognize that the word is pronounced "Jom-bee," and not "Jam-bye." Even absent an in-depth analysis from MJK about the original, intended meanings of each, individual song; I think that we can all agree that Maynard's lyrics are steeped in meaningful fortitude. It is thus a stretch to me that he would intentionally mispronounce Jambi in a song that references so vividly its true, historical tragedy. To do so would almost devoid the powerful meaning of this subtext, and that seems contrary to Maynard's implied, lyrical ethos.

To reiterate past posts of mine, I do not believe that the song is solely about the indigenous struggles of provincial Jambi. It is my belief that he is using this historical epic as a reference to his more personal epics. By telling the story of Jambi, he provides a basis of comparison upon which to view his own struggles. His feelings of loss for his mother; his fear of experiencing that again with his son- or perhaps completing a cycle by perpetrating it upon his son; both of these struggles are brought into light in connection with this story. By comparing a large-scale atrocity that affected so many to his own demons, he lends his struggles a grander degree of significance. While in the inverse comparison, the parallels between his struggles and the struggles of so many lend the tragedy of Jambi a more personal nature- putting a face on a distant statistic.

The result is a profound duality between the tragedy of the many and the tragedy of the few. In essence, I believe that what is offered here is a statement that all tragedies, great and small, are equal and connected. They share, at root, dividing forces that do not value an intrinsic unity- and lack this value to the detriment of all humanity. Sometimes these forces are a natural element of the universe in which we live (as with Maynard's loss of his mother), and sometimes they are perpetrated by the arrogance of mankind (as with Dutch imperial actions in Indonesia, or as Maynard might- maybe??!?- view his rockstar lifestyle in relation to his son). Whether these forces are inevitable or the result of the choices people make, in the end each tragedy belongs to every one of us. It is inherent upon every one of us to proclaim our unity and stand behind our proclamation with our actions. Thus he leaves us with this:

Breathe in union, So, as one, survive
Another day and season.
Silence legions: Save your poison
Silence legions: Stay out of my way

Profound, but it is certainly not outside the grasp of Maynard to lay such dichotomy upon us.

Sorry to melodic9, I don't mean to single you out, you are one of many who share this opinion. And on that note, sorry to all of you who share that opinion, as I am aware that my initial tone is quite flamey. I was frustrated at the begining, but if I can't read my own post . . .

It's all about the unity.

Breathe in union.
But I'll pull through
split_the_sky's Avatar split_the_sky
05-21-2006, 03:28 AM

Sorry if this has been said but I do not believe MJK sings "silence legion(s)" like it is has been suggested. I am 100% positive it is "silence leech and stay out of my way". Give it a listen.

I also believe the lyrics say "tempted the devil with my song".
Old 05-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #335
Level 3 - Talker

Sorry if this has been said but I do not believe MJK sings "silence legion(s)" like it is has been suggested. I am 100% positive it is "silence leech and stay out of my way". Give it a listen.

05-21-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by split_the_sky

i dunno, it really sounds like *jested*.. makes sense too
Old 05-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #336
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

Quote:

i dunno, it really sounds like *jested*.. makes sense too
05-21-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
It's too close to call for sure. The reason I go with legion is because it makes more sense in relation to the album.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 AM   #337

Quote:
It's too close to call for sure. The reason I go with legion is because it makes more sense in relation to the album.
slyvren
05-21-2006, 06:57 AM

[Damn my eyes / Jambi!] <--- I think it says "Dim my eyes" kthx
Old 05-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #338
Level 1 - Lurker

[Damn my eyes / Jambi!] <--- I think it says "Dim my eyes" kthx
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
05-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatoolhed
This is my most played song on the album, imo my edits are 100%.The only part i'm not positive is the "dim my eyes" part, but 99% sure.

Put on some headfones and tell me what you think. I could be wrong but i doubt it.

02 jambi •
[Here from] the king's mountain view
[Here from] the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
On treasures and flesh never few

But I would wish it all, away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

The devil and his had [misses out]
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round

So I, I would wish this all away

Pray like a [martyr] [ dusk] to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No [pressure could ] hold sway
[Or justify my]
[Kneeling] away, [my sinner]

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

You're my piece of mind,
[my all]
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

[Dim my eyes]
[Jam-bi-eye]
[Damn my eyes]
If they should compromise
A fulcrum
[Want and need]
[If I leave it]
Then I might as well be gone...

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken
Shine [on 'til] the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed

[Divide and wither away] X2

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
[Silently, just] save your poison
[Silently, just] stay out of my way
I could be wrong but i doubt it, thanks.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 05-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #339
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897
Re: lyrics - official thread .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatoolhed
This is my most played song on the album, imo my edits are 100%.The only part i'm not positive is the "dim my eyes" part, but 99% sure.

Put on some headfones and tell me what you think. I could be wrong but i doubt it.

02 jambi •
[Here from] the king's mountain view
[Here from] the wild dream come true

The devil and his had [misses out]
In love with the dark side I've found

Pray like a [martyr] [ dusk] to dawn
Shout to the devil with my song

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No [pressure could ] hold sway
[Or justify my]
[Kneeling] away, [my sinner]

You're my piece of mind,
[my all]
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

[Dim my eyes]
[Jam-bi-eye]
[Damn my eyes]
A fulcrum
[Want and need]
[If I leave it]

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

[Divide and wither away] X2

Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
[Silently, just] save your poison
[Silently, just] stay out of my way
I could be wrong but i doubt it, thanks.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Styx's Avatar Styx
05-21-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You don't think it's:

I agree that the word "poison" is not there. I keep hearing it as "save your praises." The word in question distinctively beings with a "pr" sound.

I like your interpretation, by the way. It's original.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #340
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
You don't think it's:

I agree that the word "poison" is not there. I keep hearing it as "save your praises." The word in question distinctively beings with a "pr" sound.

05-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx

I second that. Praises or precious makes much more sense to me than either poison, or preaching, for that maater.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #341
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx

I second that. Praises or precious makes much more sense to me than either poison, or preaching, for that maater.
But I'll pull through
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
05-21-2006, 03:47 PM

*headdesk*

I give up trying to convince people that it's leech, considering that there's far more evidence out there for it to be leech than legion, what with Maynard making regular remarks about hating the 'leeches', the 'vampires' and the 'bloodsuckers' and absolutely none about obscure Christian demons who bare no relevance to anything in the song apart from vaguely the line "tempted the Devil with my song", which nobody seems to want to think means "made a deal with a record company agent", instead assuming that Maynard is talking about the biblical Devil, I find it amazing that anybody would think it's anything but "silence leech and save your poison, silence leech and stay out of my way."

But I'll just wait for the official lyrics to be posted.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #342
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

*headdesk*

I give up trying to convince people that it's leech, considering that there's far more evidence out there for it to be leech than legion, what with Maynard making regular remarks about hating the 'leeches', the 'vampires' and the 'bloodsuckers' and absolutely none about obscure Christian demons who bare no relevance to anything in the song apart from vaguely the line "tempted the Devil with my song", which nobody seems to want to think means "made a deal with a record company agent", instead assuming that Maynard is talking about the biblical Devil, I find it amazing that anybody would think it's anything but "silence leech and save your poison, silence leech and stay out of my way."

05-21-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara
I find it amazing that anybody would think it's anything but "silence leech and save your poison, silence leech and stay out of my way."
I'm not disputing any of the words other than "poison" because on the album you can audibly hear the "pr" sound in the beginning of the word. Figuring out lyrics is all phonetics and contexts. I don't know what he's saying, but there's no way it's "poison." Seriously.

The phonetics actually sound like "proises" but that's not even a word, let alone contextually fitting.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #343
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
I find it amazing that anybody would think it's anything but "silence leech and save your poison, silence leech and stay out of my way."
I'm not disputing any of the words other than "poison" because on the album you can audibly hear the "pr" sound in the beginning of the word. Figuring out lyrics is all phonetics and contexts. I don't know what he's saying, but there's no way it's "poison." Seriously.

The phonetics actually sound like "proises" but that's not even a word, let alone contextually fitting.
05-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
*headdesk*

I can't really distinguish between "leech and/leeches" and "legion/legions." However, I don't think that "legion" would refer to the demons who eventually convinced a bunch of pigs that they could fly off a cliff. I believe that this story employs an allegory to the colonization of provincial Jambi in order to help tell other, more personal stories. Given that Sultan Taha faced numerous (works with "legion"), foreign, oppositional forces- some of a military structure (also works with "legion), and others of a more commercial-industrial structure; Maynard could be invoking the voice of Taha as he implores the silence of these legions. I don't know which is right, but I thought that I'd offer a justification that could satisfy a more rational perspective.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #344
Ron Swampson

Quote:
*headdesk*

I can't really distinguish between "leech and/leeches" and "legion/legions." However, I don't think that "legion" would refer to the demons who eventually convinced a bunch of pigs that they could fly off a cliff. I believe that this story employs an allegory to the colonization of provincial Jambi in order to help tell other, more personal stories. Given that Sultan Taha faced numerous (works with "legion"), foreign, oppositional forces- some of a military structure (also works with "legion), and others of a more commercial-industrial structure; Maynard could be invoking the voice of Taha as he implores the silence of these legions. I don't know which is right, but I thought that I'd offer a justification that could satisfy a more rational perspective.
But I'll pull through
MyrrorMynd's Avatar MyrrorMynd
05-22-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
*headdesk*

People may be reading too much into the word legion. Legion, according to the dictionary, is "multitude: a large number of people or things." So, "Silent legion, save your precious silence. You just stay out of my way." He could be talking just about the silent masses out there who never say anything, never do anything to change this state of affairs. And he's saying save your precious silence, because he is obviously not staying silent about how he feels. Save your silence and stay out of my way. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Sorry that you find it so amazing. By the way, I don't find your interpretation amazing. You could be right.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 AM   #345
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
*headdesk*

People may be reading too much into the word legion. Legion, according to the dictionary, is "multitude: a large number of people or things." So, "Silent legion, save your precious silence. You just stay out of my way." He could be talking just about the silent masses out there who never say anything, never do anything to change this state of affairs. And he's saying save your precious silence, because he is obviously not staying silent about how he feels. Save your silence and stay out of my way. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Sorry that you find it so amazing. By the way, I don't find your interpretation amazing. You could be right.
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-22-2006, 05:58 AM

I hear leeches too, but the only thing that doesnt make sense in that section is "save your poison (definatley not "praises"). Leeches suck out poison and toxins dont they? so why would a leech save its poison? Any thorts?

perhaps hes telling the leech to not suck his posion out. But he maybe reffering to posion within him as viewed from somone else (ie christians, over zealous religious types) who might believe that he is evil due to being a rock star.
Further disdain for organised religion, and more wanting not to be divided from his belifes perhaps? again, someone please elaborate if tey agree
Old 05-22-2006, 05:58 AM   #346

Bincount™: 11

I hear leeches too, but the only thing that doesnt make sense in that section is "save your poison (definatley not "praises"). Leeches suck out poison and toxins dont they? so why would a leech save its poison? Any thorts?

perhaps hes telling the leech to not suck his posion out. But he maybe reffering to posion within him as viewed from somone else (ie christians, over zealous religious types) who might believe that he is evil due to being a rock star.
Further disdain for organised religion, and more wanting not to be divided from his belifes perhaps? again, someone please elaborate if tey agree
05-22-2006, 10:05 AM

i must say that "jambi" is my favorite new ong that they have played live!!! the visuals, the talkbox,th playing, the energy, everything was perfect!!! i was at the boston show last night and it was definitely the highlight of the show for me!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #347
Level 4 - Thinker

i must say that "jambi" is my favorite new ong that they have played live!!! the visuals, the talkbox,th playing, the energy, everything was perfect!!! i was at the boston show last night and it was definitely the highlight of the show for me!
a reflection
05-22-2006, 06:22 PM

OK... Here is my stab at the complete lyrics. After listening to the song 50,000 times and coming to a conclusion this has alot to do with how (as I know) having a child changes you -- even spiritually -- I think they fit...

(deviations from the "official" lyrics on TDN are in CAPS:

HERE FROM the king's mountain view
HERE FROM the wild dream come true

The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I'D found

Pray like a MARTYR DUSK to dawn
TEMPTED the devil with my song

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No PRESSURE COULD hold sway
I'LL JUST DIVIDE MY NAIL (---as in crucifixion - the right in 2, stereoscopic thing :)
AND AWAIT MY SENTENCE

You're my piece of mind,
MY ALL
[ MY SIN (or) I said]
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES
A fulcrum
WANT AND NEED DIVIDE ME (--- that theme again :)

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON (--- I believe there is an INTENTIONAL son/sun dichotomy)
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON

DIVIDED I'M WITHERING AWAY (--- again...)

Benevolent SON.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
SILENCE LEGION save your poison
SILENCE LEGION stay out of my way

A large part of me thinks that this song may lament somewhat at the seperation he has endured from his child due to his career. Dividedly, though. Just one theory. The fact that this song is followed immediately by talk of the seperation from another important family member help support this.

I also think the religious themes play into this concept beautifully, and it thereby works on multiple levels, as most all Tool songs do.

Last edited by a reflection; 05-22-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #348
Level 2 - Poster

OK... Here is my stab at the complete lyrics. After listening to the song 50,000 times and coming to a conclusion this has alot to do with how (as I know) having a child changes you -- even spiritually -- I think they fit...

(deviations from the "official" lyrics on TDN are in CAPS:

HERE FROM the king's mountain view
HERE FROM the wild dream come true

The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I'D found

Pray like a MARTYR DUSK to dawn
TEMPTED the devil with my song

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No PRESSURE COULD hold sway
I'LL JUST DIVIDE MY NAIL (---as in crucifixion - the right in 2, stereoscopic thing :)
AND AWAIT MY SENTENCE

You're my piece of mind,
MY ALL
[ MY SIN (or) I said]
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES
A fulcrum
WANT AND NEED DIVIDE ME (--- that theme again :)

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON (--- I believe there is an INTENTIONAL son/sun dichotomy)

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON

Benevolent SON.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
SILENCE LEGION save your poison
SILENCE LEGION stay out of my way

A large part of me thinks that this song may lament somewhat at the seperation he has endured from his child due to his career. Dividedly, though. Just one theory. The fact that this song is followed immediately by talk of the seperation from another important family member help support this.

I also think the religious themes play into this concept beautifully, and it thereby works on multiple levels, as most all Tool songs do.

Last edited by a reflection; 05-22-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Mitsu13
05-23-2006, 12:56 AM

I dont believe it is "leeches" or "silence legion" at the end of the song at all... it sounds more like

silently just save your praise and
silently just stay out of my way

that is by far the closet thing I hear
Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #349
Level 1 - Lurker

I dont believe it is "leeches" or "silence legion" at the end of the song at all... it sounds more like

05-23-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a reflection
AND AWAIT MY SENTENCE
First, I don't hear this, but that's certainly not proof positive against it. My primary issue here is that I don't see how the division of a nail ammounts to the crucifixion. Obviously, the nail is appropriate symboloism, but in crucifixion, the nails must remain whole.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 AM   #350
Ron Swampson

Quote:
AND AWAIT MY SENTENCE
First, I don't hear this, but that's certainly not proof positive against it. My primary issue here is that I don't see how the division of a nail ammounts to the crucifixion. Obviously, the nail is appropriate symboloism, but in crucifixion, the nails must remain whole.
But I'll pull through
the darknight
05-23-2006, 07:25 AM

maybe we are already past this but

thats an odd choice for a word... anyone else notice that?

gives it a middle east vibe
Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 AM   #351

maybe we are already past this but

thats an odd choice for a word... anyone else notice that?

gives it a middle east vibe
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-23-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON

Ok, I'm hearing "divide HELL and wither it away x2

or

"divide HELL, wither it away" x2

Not completely sure, but it's what I hear from the album version and 3 of the live versions. Anyone else hear that?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #352

Quote:
Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent SON

or

Not completely sure, but it's what I hear from the album version and 3 of the live versions. Anyone else hear that?
05-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

or

No, but do hear that "H" sound after divide. It just sounds to me like emphasis provided by the rising pitch of the voice and the aggressively vulnerable tone of that lyric- which I believe to be "Divided, I'm witherin' away." I just don't think that the "devil" reference is enough to justify that context. I see this more as a general disavowment of any division than a religious reference.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #353
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

or

No, but do hear that "H" sound after divide. It just sounds to me like emphasis provided by the rising pitch of the voice and the aggressively vulnerable tone of that lyric- which I believe to be "Divided, I'm witherin' away." I just don't think that the "devil" reference is enough to justify that context. I see this more as a general disavowment of any division than a religious reference.
But I'll pull through
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
You make a good argument, but religious references are all over this album and on prior albums so it's not out of the realm of possiblilty that it could be hell.

It was strange really how i heard it, I was just listening to it as I normally do, and I normally sing along saying something like "divide it, and wither it away" but this time I was driving and kind of only half listening to it and then I heard divide HELL and .... and I said to myself, hey! that's what he's saying! Then I went back and listened to it again and after a few more listens and on the live versions, it really sounds like HELL to me.

But I'm really not trying to convince you or anyone else here that that's what it is, I just wondered if anyone else heard that too.

I'm honestly not sure how much sense that would make in the context of the rest of the song either, but it does sound that way to me.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
You make a good argument, but religious references are all over this album and on prior albums so it's not out of the realm of possiblilty that it could be hell.

It was strange really how i heard it, I was just listening to it as I normally do, and I normally sing along saying something like "divide it, and wither it away" but this time I was driving and kind of only half listening to it and then I heard divide HELL and .... and I said to myself, hey! that's what he's saying! Then I went back and listened to it again and after a few more listens and on the live versions, it really sounds like HELL to me.

But I'm really not trying to convince you or anyone else here that that's what it is, I just wondered if anyone else heard that too.

I'm honestly not sure how much sense that would make in the context of the rest of the song either, but it does sound that way to me.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 11:17 AM..
MarsSerpent's Avatar MarsSerpent
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan

When I hear save your poison it makes me think of sucide, using poision to kill yourself. Using poision to kill someone else, hence save your poison. It's not worth it, or something like religion is a poison and leeches feed off of other lliving animals.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #355
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan

When I hear save your poison it makes me think of sucide, using poision to kill yourself. Using poision to kill someone else, hence save your poison. It's not worth it, or something like religion is a poison and leeches feed off of other lliving animals.
05-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?
in my humble opinion, it is damn my eyes, then jambi, then damn my eyes again.
also where most say "you're my peace of mind, my all, i said i'm just trying to hold on... i think its 'youre my peace of mind, my all, my center...not i said...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #356
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?
in my humble opinion, it is damn my eyes, then jambi, then damn my eyes again.
also where most say "you're my peace of mind, my all, i said i'm just trying to hold on... i think its 'youre my peace of mind, my all, my center...not i said...
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu13

i agree. i think it is silently both times
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #357
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu13

i agree. i think it is silently both times
05-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie
also where most say "you're my peace of mind, my all, i said i'm just trying to hold on...i think its 'youre my peace of mind, my all, my center...not i said...
Yeah, I think he's re-referncing the center, as well.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #358
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie
also where most say "you're my peace of mind, my all, i said i'm just trying to hold on...i think its 'youre my peace of mind, my all, my center...not i said...
Yeah, I think he's re-referncing the center, as well.
But I'll pull through
WitlessLiar
05-23-2006, 03:09 PM

A defense for my lyrical suggestion: "My home"

Listen to it again. Listen for it to sound like this (phoenetically [sp])

"You're my peace of mind
My hoe-
My said I'm just tryin to hold on
One more day"

He holds the "m" until the next line. That's defending my previous suggestion of this:

"You're my peace of mind
My home
I said I'm just tryin to hold on
One more day"

If you can't hear that "m" you might need a hearing aid.

Edit: Now, if when the lyrics are posted it is "all" then whatever, but for now I'm twice as confident as the line being this and not "all." The line makes sense because (read post above me) this stanza is referring to this as his center; a place where's he has previously lived for a long time and has brought him peace (and probably ignorance), and he doesn't wanna let this go. Sounds like a sequel to The Grudge to me...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #359

A defense for my lyrical suggestion: "My home"

Listen to it again. Listen for it to sound like this (phoenetically [sp])

"You're my peace of mind
My hoe-
My said I'm just tryin to hold on
One more day"

He holds the "m" until the next line. That's defending my previous suggestion of this:

"You're my peace of mind
My home
I said I'm just tryin to hold on
One more day"

If you can't hear that "m" you might need a hearing aid.

Edit: Now, if when the lyrics are posted it is "all" then whatever, but for now I'm twice as confident as the line being this and not "all." The line makes sense because (read post above me) this stanza is referring to this as his center; a place where's he has previously lived for a long time and has brought him peace (and probably ignorance), and he doesn't wanna let this go. Sounds like a sequel to The Grudge to me...
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM

"You're my peace of mind, my all, my Saturn. Just try to hold on one more day."

That's what I think it is.

Last edited by Muladhara; 05-24-2006 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Wrong Word
Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #360
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

"You're my peace of mind, my all, my Saturn. Just try to hold on one more day."

That's what I think it is.