Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Rosetta Stoned
04-27-2006, 06:01 PM

☺OK, now that i've had a chance to really think about the song....

I believe it's about how maynard wishes he could go back to being just a regular guy.

It's strange because when I first listened to it I couldn't understand why they re-used complete parts of certain songs(third eye and H.).

Now I think I kinda get it. Lost Keys is all about maynard seeing a phyciatrist...he's dazed and confused because he can't understand why he became so famous.

I personally think that Rosetta Stoned is about maynard trying to recall why he became so famous. He basically tries to recall everything that made him famous....and it kinda makes sense...they play pieces from AENIMA and LATERALUS during the song, which are TOOLs biggest records.

As maynard recalls certain parts of the older lyrics, the band recalls certain parts of the older songs.

It's really a depressing song when you think about it. At the end, maynard kidna tells everyone that he's not really smart at all, and he really fucked up big time in trying to come off as a smart man.

anyone else get this same vibe from the song?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
my take on RS

☺OK, now that i've had a chance to really think about the song....

I believe it's about how maynard wishes he could go back to being just a regular guy.

It's strange because when I first listened to it I couldn't understand why they re-used complete parts of certain songs(third eye and H.).

Now I think I kinda get it. Lost Keys is all about maynard seeing a phyciatrist...he's dazed and confused because he can't understand why he became so famous.

I personally think that Rosetta Stoned is about maynard trying to recall why he became so famous. He basically tries to recall everything that made him famous....and it kinda makes sense...they play pieces from AENIMA and LATERALUS during the song, which are TOOLs biggest records.

As maynard recalls certain parts of the older lyrics, the band recalls certain parts of the older songs.

It's really a depressing song when you think about it. At the end, maynard kidna tells everyone that he's not really smart at all, and he really fucked up big time in trying to come off as a smart man.

anyone else get this same vibe from the song?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
04-27-2006, 06:31 PM

haha, is there something wrong with you?

I think you belong in that doctor's office-
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
On Probation

Re: my take on RS

Rosetta Stoned
04-27-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations

hey man, seriously.....listen to it...i think i have a pretty good idea...
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

hey man, seriously.....listen to it...i think i have a pretty good idea...
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
04-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Read my post, that's what it's about...

play on words.. hints of drug use... but it's about the experience of alien abduction.

PERIOD.

All these other outrageous perspectives... I dunno, I think people just like to say arbitrary shit for the sake of saying arbitrary shit.

Maybe that's what the song is about... oh
Old 04-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
On Probation

play on words.. hints of drug use... but it's about the experience of alien abduction.

PERIOD.

All these other outrageous perspectives... I dunno, I think people just like to say arbitrary shit for the sake of saying arbitrary shit.

Rosetta Stoned
04-27-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:

PERIOD.

i guess you're always right.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

PERIOD.

i guess you're always right.
tempathy's Avatar tempathy
04-27-2006, 08:09 PM

if that's what it REALLY is about, then is he not a smart man anyways? it takes a lot of talent to make a song one thing and mean something completely different, but if anyone can do it, it's maynard. is stinkfist really about fisting??? it's entirely possible that what you said is partially true, but it's highly unlikely. he knows exactly why he's famous and i bet he doesn't regret one bit of it.

...their music has changed but the message hasn't.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

if that's what it REALLY is about, then is he not a smart man anyways? it takes a lot of talent to make a song one thing and mean something completely different, but if anyone can do it, it's maynard. is stinkfist really about fisting??? it's entirely possible that what you said is partially true, but it's highly unlikely. he knows exactly why he's famous and i bet he doesn't regret one bit of it.

...their music has changed but the message hasn't.
04-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Rossetta i think you are thining kind of along the right lines. Yes the songs the song is primarily about a LSD induced alien abduction themed trip, but this is also a satire of how people see tool as bearers of a great secret in some way with people trying to find codes in there songs and stuff which are not there. I think this is most obvious in the Third Eye paraphrasing "looked at me with somniferous almond eyes, i dont even know what that means, ill have to right it down" (like these lyrics have come to Maynard whilst tripping himself and have no actual meaning). I think those who appreciate the irony in tools inclusion of mystical new age stuff in their lyrics, will appreciate the whole "I forgot my pen, shit the bed again, typical" alot.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Rossetta i think you are thining kind of along the right lines. Yes the songs the song is primarily about a LSD induced alien abduction themed trip, but this is also a satire of how people see tool as bearers of a great secret in some way with people trying to find codes in there songs and stuff which are not there. I think this is most obvious in the Third Eye paraphrasing "looked at me with somniferous almond eyes, i dont even know what that means, ill have to right it down" (like these lyrics have come to Maynard whilst tripping himself and have no actual meaning). I think those who appreciate the irony in tools inclusion of mystical new age stuff in their lyrics, will appreciate the whole "I forgot my pen, shit the bed again, typical" alot.
Sarik's Avatar Sarik
07-24-2007, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=ThreeDeviations;980323]Read my post, that's what it's about...

PERIOD. /QUOTE

Man you got an issue with boosting your ego. I simply dont get it. You a buddy of Maynards or what? Unless you are i dont see why your explanation is better than anyone elses. Peace out and try to crucify that ego of yours from time to time so that others dont have to...
whenever I run into someone who expresses a feeling along the lines of "I don't read fantasy or go to any of those movies; none of it's real|", I feel a kind of sympathy. They simply can't lift the weight of fantasy. The muscles of imagination have grown too weak.
Stephen King
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 807

[QUOTE=ThreeDeviations;980323]Read my post, that's what it's about...

PERIOD. /QUOTE

Man you got an issue with boosting your ego. I simply dont get it. You a buddy of Maynards or what? Unless you are i dont see why your explanation is better than anyone elses. Peace out and try to crucify that ego of yours from time to time so that others dont have to...
whenever I run into someone who expresses a feeling along the lines of "I don't read fantasy or go to any of those movies; none of it's real|", I feel a kind of sympathy. They simply can't lift the weight of fantasy. The muscles of imagination have grown too weak.
Stephen King

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply