Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
mysoultheunderground
03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

I heard Danny tunes his kit. Is this a common thing to do? and do you guys think this makes an important difference to the quality/presentation/effect?

And what do you think about bands that have two proper drummers? I heard such a band the other day and together they sounded about as interesting as danny if he had no legs, one arm and the other stick in his mouth and was on valium. iow i was particularly unimpressed to the point of bringing it up now.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #801
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: New Tool Album

I heard Danny tunes his kit. Is this a common thing to do? and do you guys think this makes an important difference to the quality/presentation/effect?

And what do you think about bands that have two proper drummers? I heard such a band the other day and together they sounded about as interesting as danny if he had no legs, one arm and the other stick in his mouth and was on valium. iow i was particularly unimpressed to the point of bringing it up now.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
praefector's Avatar praefector
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
well then do you agree with my post or with LC"s?

no drummer elitism here. just makin' sure y'all know what you're talkin about. LC mentions bonham and danny as the only drummers with tone and you agreed with it.

well, given that you like bonham and danny, i could say that jon theodore is right up there with them in terms of tone and originality. you can fuckin taste that shit. feel it melt in your mouth, yo.
matt cameron comes to mind as well. guy got his groove set and no one's tellin' him otherwise. and what about nicko mcbrain? guy's got a shitload of toms and uses them magnificently. can't deny the use of tone there...

and those are just popular drummers i know...

/drummer elitism
nah, i said "most modern drummers don't care about tone" which i stand behind given my personal experience.

i would never say that there are only two drummers in the whole world that capture the tone of their instrument to positive effect. that would be silly.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #802
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
well then do you agree with my post or with LC"s?

no drummer elitism here. just makin' sure y'all know what you're talkin about. LC mentions bonham and danny as the only drummers with tone and you agreed with it.

well, given that you like bonham and danny, i could say that jon theodore is right up there with them in terms of tone and originality. you can fuckin taste that shit. feel it melt in your mouth, yo.
matt cameron comes to mind as well. guy got his groove set and no one's tellin' him otherwise. and what about nicko mcbrain? guy's got a shitload of toms and uses them magnificently. can't deny the use of tone there...

/drummer elitism
nah, i said "most modern drummers don't care about tone" which i stand behind given my personal experience.

i would never say that there are only two drummers in the whole world that capture the tone of their instrument to positive effect. that would be silly.
praefector's Avatar praefector
03-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysoultheunderground View Post

it makes a difference because the tone resonates through the beat. most ears won't notice the difference until they are tuned to a pitch that resides in a different key.

like i said before, most drummers only want the thuds and the highs to keep time. danny and drummers like him actually use the beat as an instrument unto itself, not simply a way to track time.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #803

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:

it makes a difference because the tone resonates through the beat. most ears won't notice the difference until they are tuned to a pitch that resides in a different key.

like i said before, most drummers only want the thuds and the highs to keep time. danny and drummers like him actually use the beat as an instrument unto itself, not simply a way to track time.
Neel's Avatar Neel
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

All drummers have to tune drums individually, but not necessarily to a specific pitch.

I have heard Danny mention in an interview that he will tune his drums to certain notes that match the song when in the studio and to a more general set of notes when playing live. It definitely helps the drums become a bigger part of the sound, but it is probably a nuance that most people don't notice. The pitch of a drum sound is very different from that of most instruments (guitar, bass, etc). For this reason, a drum will not necessarily sound dissonant if it's heads are not tuned to focus on a specific note that works with what the other musicians are playing.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #804
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

All drummers have to tune drums individually, but not necessarily to a specific pitch.

I have heard Danny mention in an interview that he will tune his drums to certain notes that match the song when in the studio and to a more general set of notes when playing live. It definitely helps the drums become a bigger part of the sound, but it is probably a nuance that most people don't notice. The pitch of a drum sound is very different from that of most instruments (guitar, bass, etc). For this reason, a drum will not necessarily sound dissonant if it's heads are not tuned to focus on a specific note that works with what the other musicians are playing.
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
03-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:

/drummer elitism
I like Theodore's snare sound yeah, and I like Nicko's Toms but I still prefer Carey and Bonham in terms of tone and ability to play interesting solo's. I didn't say they're the only drummers with tone, I'm not retarded. I'm just talking about what is pleasing to my own ears in terms of drum sounds. I love the samples that Danny uses. I love his low end Tom's, I love his cymbals.

I admire Matt Cameron too.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #805
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

Quote:

/drummer elitism
I like Theodore's snare sound yeah, and I like Nicko's Toms but I still prefer Carey and Bonham in terms of tone and ability to play interesting solo's. I didn't say they're the only drummers with tone, I'm not retarded. I'm just talking about what is pleasing to my own ears in terms of drum sounds. I love the samples that Danny uses. I love his low end Tom's, I love his cymbals.

I admire Matt Cameron too.

TheTemperamentalGoat's Avatar TheTemperamentalGoat
03-22-2012, 02:12 PM

no love for herb alexander? he's an incredible drummer
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #806
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 343

no love for herb alexander? he's an incredible drummer
03-22-2012, 06:09 PM

I've always enjoyed his playing too. It takes some chops to appear impressive when you play in a band with Les Claypool.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #807
Level 10 - Vehement

I've always enjoyed his playing too. It takes some chops to appear impressive when you play in a band with Les Claypool.

mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
03-24-2012, 06:39 PM

i didnt mean to promote "drum ******ry"

haha^

Last edited by mcnadd; 03-24-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #808
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

i didnt mean to promote "drum ******ry"

haha^

Last edited by mcnadd; 03-24-2012 at 06:42 PM..
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM

So I suppose we'll resurrect this thread in 2013.

After the rapture. Or whatever is meant to occur.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #809
Level 10 - Vehement

So I suppose we'll resurrect this thread in 2013.

After the rapture. Or whatever is meant to occur.

One Dark Flame's Avatar One Dark Flame
03-31-2012, 10:30 PM

Anyone know why Blair posted about "Problem 8" again on TOOLBAND?
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #810
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
03-31-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post
Probably because it's April Fools Day again
Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #811
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post
Probably because it's April Fools Day again
04-01-2012, 07:14 AM

It took me about a year to get into 10,000 days.

I'll probably be cautiously optimistic about their next album, just like I've been with every album they've made. But I'll never forget what I felt when I first heard "Disposition."

Hopefully they can keep challenging my feelings and perceptions.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #812
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 136

It took me about a year to get into 10,000 days.

I'll probably be cautiously optimistic about their next album, just like I've been with every album they've made. But I'll never forget what I felt when I first heard "Disposition."

Hopefully they can keep challenging my feelings and perceptions.
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
04-01-2012, 07:23 AM

I'm gonna try to be really pessimistic about the next album, just so I can be pleasantly surprised by what will surely be, at the very least, a moderately entertaining record.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #813
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

I'm gonna try to be really pessimistic about the next album, just so I can be pleasantly surprised by what will surely be, at the very least, a moderately entertaining record.
04-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
I have a feeling their maturity will be the driving force of the next record.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #814
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
I have a feeling their maturity will be the driving force of the next record.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM

I liked how Danny said this new album is sounding pretty heavy and they are shooting for a fall release
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #815
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

I liked how Danny said this new album is sounding pretty heavy and they are shooting for a fall release
04-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
they are shooting for a fall release
I don't think he really said that at all, he said done by fall, not released by then.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #816
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
they are shooting for a fall release
I don't think he really said that at all, he said done by fall, not released by then.
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM

April Fools!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #817

Bincount™: 2063

April Fools!!!
04-01-2012, 05:28 PM

i feel if their maturity level isnt a driving force in this record it wont be as good as it could be
Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #818
Level 7 - Loquacious

i feel if their maturity level isnt a driving force in this record it wont be as good as it could be
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
04-01-2012, 07:04 PM

What do you guys mean by that?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #819
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
04-01-2012, 07:33 PM

im hoping they go in the direction of more sounds that are heavy but modest yet powerful in their presentation, imo like lateralus was and 10000 days was not. rosetta stoned is a great song but the comedy of it imo adds to the records reputation of not having an overlying theme or vibe. if the band doesnt acknowlege their age just a little bit the album wont have a sincere feel to it and it'll seem campy. im not worried though the intension intro that maynard recorded with his iphone is a great example of them writing songs that reflect their point in their career.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #820
Level 7 - Loquacious

im hoping they go in the direction of more sounds that are heavy but modest yet powerful in their presentation, imo like lateralus was and 10000 days was not. rosetta stoned is a great song but the comedy of it imo adds to the records reputation of not having an overlying theme or vibe. if the band doesnt acknowlege their age just a little bit the album wont have a sincere feel to it and it'll seem campy. im not worried though the intension intro that maynard recorded with his iphone is a great example of them writing songs that reflect their point in their career.
04-01-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I think he hopes there are songs about grey hair and kids on their motherfucking lawns.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #821
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I think he hopes there are songs about grey hair and kids on their motherfucking lawns.
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM

We can only hope!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #822
Level 10 - Vehement

We can only hope!
mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM

meddling kids!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #823
Level 7 - Loquacious

meddling kids!
04-01-2012, 09:22 PM

I just don't see the connection on how 'maturity level' can be a 'driving force' for the album. I don't think Tool have ever done anything other than create music and art that they want to make. So I'd see their maturity level and where they are at in their career as being seemingly irrelevant. Their music reflects who they are, and as they've always said, where they meet in the middle. That being said, clearly they are older and they've said a lot with their music and art. I think it's likely that in order to keep themselves inspired and creating music that fascinates each other, they have to "talk" about things that are more relevant to who they are right now.

hence, grey hair and punk teenagers.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 04-01-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #824
Level 10 - Vehement

I just don't see the connection on how 'maturity level' can be a 'driving force' for the album. I don't think Tool have ever done anything other than create music and art that they want to make. So I'd see their maturity level and where they are at in their career as being seemingly irrelevant. Their music reflects who they are, and as they've always said, where they meet in the middle. That being said, clearly they are older and they've said a lot with their music and art. I think it's likely that in order to keep themselves inspired and creating music that fascinates each other, they have to "talk" about things that are more relevant to who they are right now.

hence, grey hair and punk teenagers.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 04-01-2012 at 09:24 PM..
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM

I've got it.

Whole album is going to be about Maynard's hatred for hippies and the woes of modern society's false sense of entitlement.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #825
Level 10 - Vehement

I've got it.

Whole album is going to be about Maynard's hatred for hippies and the woes of modern society's false sense of entitlement.
04-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Pretty sure one of the tracks will be called "Tool fans can suck my dick!"
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #826
crows before hoes

04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
Pretty sure one of the tracks will be called "Tool fans can suck (have sucked, and will continue to suck) my dick!"
fixed.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #827
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Pretty sure one of the tracks will be called "Tool fans can suck (have sucked, and will continue to suck) my dick!"
fixed.
crincled
04-02-2012, 01:52 AM

the whole album is gonna be about why maynard should gtfo of tool
Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #828
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

the whole album is gonna be about why maynard should gtfo of tool
Ravenpig
04-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:

A couple of tweaks to Maynard's Dick could accomplish that..... or just plain old Maynard's Dick
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #829
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

A couple of tweaks to Maynard's Dick could accomplish that..... or just plain old Maynard's Dick
mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
04-08-2012, 05:58 PM

i figured out why its taking so long!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...uk09o1_500.jpg

fucking jocks
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #830
Level 7 - Loquacious

i figured out why its taking so long!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...uk09o1_500.jpg

fucking jocks
04-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Umm..... okay.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #831
Level 10 - Vehement

Umm..... okay.
Ravenpig
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM

I would buy multiple copies on multiple formats if that was the next album cover.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #832
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I would buy multiple copies on multiple formats if that was the next album cover.
mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
04-09-2012, 04:00 PM

haha it would make a great album cover. i thought ive seen all the tool related media available until i ran across that pic last night, kinda random but i thought it was great
Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #833
Level 7 - Loquacious

haha it would make a great album cover. i thought ive seen all the tool related media available until i ran across that pic last night, kinda random but i thought it was great
mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
04-16-2012, 06:13 PM

pertaining to the most recent post on toolband, why would blair be at the loft if there is nothing going on at the loft?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #834
Level 7 - Loquacious

pertaining to the most recent post on toolband, why would blair be at the loft if there is nothing going on at the loft?
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM

I think Blair said in an earlier post that he's had these pictures sent to him.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #835
Level 10 - Vehement

I think Blair said in an earlier post that he's had these pictures sent to him.
04-16-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnadd View Post
Well, just because Justin wasn't there doesn't mean no one is. Also, I don't expect the post was meant to be take entirely literally...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #836
crows before hoes

Quote:
Well, just because Justin wasn't there doesn't mean no one is. Also, I don't expect the post was meant to be take entirely literally...
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'll care about this loft shit when Maynard starts hanging around and doing work......
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #837

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
I'll care about this loft shit when Maynard starts hanging around and doing work......
04-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Puscifer on tour this June, a round of new england and midwest dates before finishing in Prescott AZ.

:/

I feel like I'm in denial for saying this, but I'd still have to imagine he has been (to some extent) and will still make time to write material for the new record.... but didn't Danny say they were hoping to be in the studio by June? I can't remember; Hellboy?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #838
Level 10 - Vehement

Puscifer on tour this June, a round of new england and midwest dates before finishing in Prescott AZ.

:/

I feel like I'm in denial for saying this, but I'd still have to imagine he has been (to some extent) and will still make time to write material for the new record.... but didn't Danny say they were hoping to be in the studio by June? I can't remember; Hellboy?
EverReady
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh View Post
I wouldn't mind an album cover with the girl from ThirdEye13's avatar.

*swaying back and forth*
"She opens her bra, she opens her bra, she opens her bra."
I don't think anyone would mind that at all. *Memorized*
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #839
On Probation

Bincount™: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh View Post
I wouldn't mind an album cover with the girl from ThirdEye13's avatar.

*swaying back and forth*
"She opens her bra, she opens her bra, she opens her bra."
I don't think anyone would mind that at all. *Memorized*
rsh's Avatar rsh
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

puscifer sucks
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #840
rsh
be happy with what
you have to be happy with
Suicide Booth ID: 2