opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 12-04-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
tool rip-off...

have any of you seen the covers for pearl jam's newest album "riot act" or the single "i am mine?" because i swear, the figures look exactly like a mixture of the prison sex alien and the little man from parabola. is this a rip-off? http://pearljam.com
Old 12-30-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dunno, Pearl Jam also riped off Kenny Wayne shepheard with the song Ledbetter, so i wouldnt put it past them. who knows, youd have to ask Pearl Jam.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
What?

I don't know ya'll, if there's one band in my mind that wouldn't rip off anything it would be Pearl Jam, they're awfully political, and try to fight against things like infringement. Yellow Ledbetter was written in 1992, so I don't know if it's a ripoff. Also, Mike Mccready wrote that, he's a blues virtuoso, very Hendrix-esque kind of player, I would think he's paying tribute to another great blues guitarist before any ripoff stuff would come to mind, I could be wrong, I haven't researched it, but I would have to lean towards Pearl Jam on these two accusations, because I wouldn't see any sort of reason why they would want, or need to rip anybody else off.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:26 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I am a huge fan of Pearl Jam and I can tell you, with out one shadow of a doubt, that they did not rip off Tool on the cover of Riot Act. None of the band members even created the little men. Pearl Jam has no need to rip off another band, and they stand firmly against it. I think the cover of Riot Act conveys the theme of the album nicely, and if the theme is a Tool rip off... then I am the Queen of Scotland. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:19 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

no rip

Well, it does look kind of toolish, but PJ is not a band that would copy anything.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

no. well yes, it does look like a rip off but pearl jam wouldn't do it and they have no need to. in 10 years kids will think of pearl jam like i think of led zepplin or floyd. well i guess i would call tool the pink floyd of my time. but anyway,
pearl jam has been one of my favorite bands of all time sinse about 4th grade and i know they wouldn't try to cash in on an image creatid not by tool but by the people who think "maynards awesome man!!!!" and the same people who seem to confuse sober with third eye at tool shows. anyway i gottsta go .
Old 01-08-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Haha.
What a stupid idea for a thread.
I can kind of see what you mean but theres is no way in hell Pearl Jam would ever copy anyone. Im sure they know how shit it isto be copied themselves (ie. Creed).

Does anyone know if any of the band members of Tool or Pearl Jam like the other bands music, or call themsleves fans. I know that the music they play is very different but i still manage to love both bands so I dont see why they shouldnt enjoy eachothers music..
Old 01-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
derriere extraordinaire
(Winner, TTU #1)

Bincount™: 50
on rip-offing

how common do you think originality is? chances are if the artwork is similar it's either coincidence or admiration, but the negative connotations of the term "rip-off" are unfair. if you believe PJ ripped tool, then go watch some of the animations of the brothers quay and tell me tool didn't rip them off with their videos of sober and prison sex, and even the dirty look of stinkfist.

if i had the means, i'd sing HWAP to you judgmental and short-sighted fanatics.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

pearl jam thingy

who cares? originality is simply a show to help bruised egos feel special. you are not unique. you have no outstanding talent. neither do i. we are members of the human race. we don't matter as individuals or as a society. if pearl jam ripped off tool, so what? it's a cool picture. and a cool album. not as good as "ten", though.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I agree. Who cares?

Pearl Jam had their day, and now they need to fuck off. They suck.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Your an idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by cradled
I agree. Who cares?

Your an idiot for saying that remark...Pearl Jam and Tool are two very different bands...What someone was saying about Yellow Ledbetter was kinda correct. Yellow LedBetter was B-side that was a tribute to Hendrix's masterpiece Little Wing. Pearl Jam doesn't have to fuck off.

Listen to Bushleaguer...they rip the fuck out off Bush because hes a dumb ass..But enough about fucking Republicans.. I dont think that Riot Acts artwork is anything like Tool's...But if you wanna see some awesome animation done by Pearl Jam watch their video for Do the Evolution....It shows how man is so wrong... Pearl Jam and Tool are way different sounding but have similar ideas...I love 'em both

Peace out Nuggets
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 PM   #12
A truant finds home
Suicide Booth ID: 6

Bincount™: 3436
Even though I hate Pearl Jam, I have seen their "Do THe Evolution" video, and I really enjoyed it.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:48 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Please folks, for the love of our continuing civilization, learn to spell and punctuate. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:15 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by cradled
I agree. Who cares?

thank you
Old 02-23-2003, 01:23 AM   #15
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
QUOTE ; "Pearl Jam and Tool are way different sounding but have similar ideas...I love 'em both"

HMMMMM, I FUCKING DOUBT THAT. TOOL WOULDN'T BE STUPID ENOUGH TO ADVOCATE A NO WAR SENTIMENT AT EVERY FUCKING SHOW LIKE PEARL JAM. SHAME ON PEARL JAM, THEY ARE WASHED UP THESE DAYS.

Bands that get too political like pearl jam are a real disapointment.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:07 AM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
ahem . . .

rage against the machine . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply