Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
maynerdz
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Excerpt taken from toolband.com (MJK)

"Many people are complaining about the sold out shows. Relax. We're doing a full on tour at the end of the summer which goes almost everywhere. And in the new year, we'll go almost everywhere else. These are just a handful of warm-up dates. There's nothing much we can do to out wit the scalpers. If you have patience, just don't buy the tickets from them. just wait until August. Screw them. Believe me, if I could design a virus that would leave scalpers totally impotent, mute, and penniless, I would. Same goes for lawyers. (I have a whole different virus in mind for mini vans. More on that later.)"

---------------

I applaud Maynard for at least acknowledging there is a problem with what happened with the small venues; however, I felt there were certain steps the band could have taken in order to prevent this situation. God only knows how strong an iron fist be it that Ticketmaster holds on venues, but if a huge band such as this is to play a small show for its fans then why not make a contractual agreement with the venue you will play that you will sell tickets online on a certain date but under the condition that on the day of the show, preferably one hour prior to the start of the show, you must present valid photo ID and the credit card which you charged the tickets on. Further, the venue promises that on its property no tickets can be sold for higher value during this hour.

I understand this would not be feasible for arena type shows, but for where the capacity in Vegas is approximately 1,400 this doesn't seem like that much of a burden (Do you know how many people go to the nightclub inside the Hard Rock and MUST show valid photo id in order to show they are 21 and then pay the entrance fee?) I just believe if there was more effort put in this could have been avoided.

Additionally, this situation also created a dilemma for true fans with spare tickets or who won't be able to go.. Do you really think that someone who has a pair would likely sell for face value seeing as though the prices on ebay are off the roof? If you are one of these people and still would sell for face value I truly give you high kudos (and you should private message me because I am interested in a pair. ha ha) It's a bullshit situation but I just felt that perhaps my insight might entertain some people to read this... if not, flame away.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
A solution in the future to small shows with big bands?

Excerpt taken from toolband.com (MJK)

"Many people are complaining about the sold out shows. Relax. We're doing a full on tour at the end of the summer which goes almost everywhere. And in the new year, we'll go almost everywhere else. These are just a handful of warm-up dates. There's nothing much we can do to out wit the scalpers. If you have patience, just don't buy the tickets from them. just wait until August. Screw them. Believe me, if I could design a virus that would leave scalpers totally impotent, mute, and penniless, I would. Same goes for lawyers. (I have a whole different virus in mind for mini vans. More on that later.)"

---------------

I applaud Maynard for at least acknowledging there is a problem with what happened with the small venues; however, I felt there were certain steps the band could have taken in order to prevent this situation. God only knows how strong an iron fist be it that Ticketmaster holds on venues, but if a huge band such as this is to play a small show for its fans then why not make a contractual agreement with the venue you will play that you will sell tickets online on a certain date but under the condition that on the day of the show, preferably one hour prior to the start of the show, you must present valid photo ID and the credit card which you charged the tickets on. Further, the venue promises that on its property no tickets can be sold for higher value during this hour.

I understand this would not be feasible for arena type shows, but for where the capacity in Vegas is approximately 1,400 this doesn't seem like that much of a burden (Do you know how many people go to the nightclub inside the Hard Rock and MUST show valid photo id in order to show they are 21 and then pay the entrance fee?) I just believe if there was more effort put in this could have been avoided.

Additionally, this situation also created a dilemma for true fans with spare tickets or who won't be able to go.. Do you really think that someone who has a pair would likely sell for face value seeing as though the prices on ebay are off the roof? If you are one of these people and still would sell for face value I truly give you high kudos (and you should private message me because I am interested in a pair. ha ha) It's a bullshit situation but I just felt that perhaps my insight might entertain some people to read this... if not, flame away.
OFFLINE |  
jynxycat
04-27-2006, 05:16 PM

There isn't really an issue with bigger shows at all. 80% of the tickets will be GA flolor. Hard to justify charging the price they are for Front Row seats, on GA Floor, when you aren't certain you'll actually be in front. The seating in arenas aren't nearly as good as these theatres, so they aren't as expensive either.

Not to mention the arenas seat tens of thousands, where these theatres seat one to three thousand, period.

Considering Tool won't play too many of these smaller shows, it doesn't really effect us that much as Tool fans. Sure you may miss one show, but chances are they'll be back for a huge tour in a few months. Just like they are for this record release.

Regarding your solution to smaller shows, and the requirement of ID/credit cards -- What about paying in cash ? Lots of people that I was in line with at the venue paid in cash, I was actually the minority with my credit card. So I could see that being a problem.

It probably goes way beyond just people buying them, and reselling them for much more. I'm sure tickets are given away before they're even available to the public. Probably not legally either. Then you take away the radio tickets, tickets for friends/family, tickets that Tool is now giving to the ToolArmy fans, and there aren't many left.

If you want to fix it, you'd practically have to erase Ticketmaster from the equation, and restructure everything. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: A solution in the future to small shows with big bands?

There isn't really an issue with bigger shows at all. 80% of the tickets will be GA flolor. Hard to justify charging the price they are for Front Row seats, on GA Floor, when you aren't certain you'll actually be in front. The seating in arenas aren't nearly as good as these theatres, so they aren't as expensive either.

Not to mention the arenas seat tens of thousands, where these theatres seat one to three thousand, period.

Considering Tool won't play too many of these smaller shows, it doesn't really effect us that much as Tool fans. Sure you may miss one show, but chances are they'll be back for a huge tour in a few months. Just like they are for this record release.

Regarding your solution to smaller shows, and the requirement of ID/credit cards -- What about paying in cash ? Lots of people that I was in line with at the venue paid in cash, I was actually the minority with my credit card. So I could see that being a problem.

It probably goes way beyond just people buying them, and reselling them for much more. I'm sure tickets are given away before they're even available to the public. Probably not legally either. Then you take away the radio tickets, tickets for friends/family, tickets that Tool is now giving to the ToolArmy fans, and there aren't many left.

If you want to fix it, you'd practically have to erase Ticketmaster from the equation, and restructure everything. Good luck.
OFFLINE |  
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynxycat

yeah, ticketmaster are capitalist assholes. I believe they bought up a local small ticket vendor by the name of Fastixx and they changed to Ticketswest. FUCK TICKETMASTER MAN!!! As for tickets being sold early (not legally) I heard that is what ticket brokers do.......fucking dirty bastards go and sell them for $200+......fucking filthy greedy pigs.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynxycat

yeah, ticketmaster are capitalist assholes. I believe they bought up a local small ticket vendor by the name of Fastixx and they changed to Ticketswest. FUCK TICKETMASTER MAN!!! As for tickets being sold early (not legally) I heard that is what ticket brokers do.......fucking dirty bastards go and sell them for $200+......fucking filthy greedy pigs.
04-27-2006, 06:11 PM

There is one solution that I have seen work.

I saw Radiohead in Vancouver for the OK computer tour, and what the band did was expand the seating arrangement the day of the show. They originally advertised and sold tickets for "concert bowl". Then, the day of the show, they moved the stage back and opened up the whole arena. I laughed out loud at all these scalpers trying to sell their "precious" tix for 1/2 price. Some couldn't even sell them for a third of list price. That worked. Worked real well. Every fan who wanted to see the band did, and the scalpers got fucked.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I saw Radiohead in Vancouver for the OK computer tour, and what the band did was expand the seating arrangement the day of the show. They originally advertised and sold tickets for "concert bowl". Then, the day of the show, they moved the stage back and opened up the whole arena. I laughed out loud at all these scalpers trying to sell their "precious" tix for 1/2 price. Some couldn't even sell them for a third of list price. That worked. Worked real well. Every fan who wanted to see the band did, and the scalpers got fucked.
OFFLINE |  
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
04-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua

NICE!!!!
that's awsome.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua

NICE!!!!
that's awsome.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply