Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
Stev's Avatar Stev
04-27-2006, 02:31 AM

Look, I've only been here a short time, but I'm sensing a major rift and I'm hoping this can help resolve it.

If you like this album - stay out of 'I don't like this album' threads.

If you don't like it - stay out of 'I like this album' threads.

I'm always partial to a good argument/discussion/debate, and I don't want to come across like I don't want to hear the other side of the argument, but this is an argument that will never be won. It's purely subjective.

I mean, really, what good is ranting and raving going to do? Do you honestly think that someone's opinion of the album is going to change because of a post they read on an internet board. Even if you do - what have you really acheived? In this I think it's more reasonable for the pro people to preach than the cons. I mean, if you convince someone the album's shit, you've taken away the enjoyment they might've gained from listening to it.

But in the interest of civility, I think we should just avoid 'The album's great - no it's not - yes it is - you suck' and 'The album sucks - no it doesn't - I hate you' kinds of discussions. Cause really they aint gonna do shit.

If you see someone saying they like the album and you don't - just shut the hell up. If you see someone saying they don't like the album and you do - just shut the hell up. Maybe that way we can actually get rid of the damn vitriol all over this place.

/end rant
Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 18
A request to all here

Look, I've only been here a short time, but I'm sensing a major rift and I'm hoping this can help resolve it.

If you like this album - stay out of 'I don't like this album' threads.

If you don't like it - stay out of 'I like this album' threads.

I'm always partial to a good argument/discussion/debate, and I don't want to come across like I don't want to hear the other side of the argument, but this is an argument that will never be won. It's purely subjective.

I mean, really, what good is ranting and raving going to do? Do you honestly think that someone's opinion of the album is going to change because of a post they read on an internet board. Even if you do - what have you really acheived? In this I think it's more reasonable for the pro people to preach than the cons. I mean, if you convince someone the album's shit, you've taken away the enjoyment they might've gained from listening to it.

But in the interest of civility, I think we should just avoid 'The album's great - no it's not - yes it is - you suck' and 'The album sucks - no it doesn't - I hate you' kinds of discussions. Cause really they aint gonna do shit.

If you see someone saying they like the album and you don't - just shut the hell up. If you see someone saying they don't like the album and you do - just shut the hell up. Maybe that way we can actually get rid of the damn vitriol all over this place.

/end rant
OFFLINE |  
RED_THE_HAT
04-27-2006, 02:32 AM

There should be a thread in the 10,000 days called "I love this album', and a thread in the lies section called 'The album is shit'
Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: A request to all here

There should be a thread in the 10,000 days called "I love this album', and a thread in the lies section called 'The album is shit'
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves
04-27-2006, 02:33 AM

Cheers my friend. ::Raises his glass::
Old 04-27-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 4

Cheers my friend. ::Raises his glass::
OFFLINE |  
Stev's Avatar Stev
04-27-2006, 02:37 AM

There's a thread for 'I dislike this album'. As far as I can tell the 'I like this album' threads haven't been merged so far, but I would imagine they will.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #4

There's a thread for 'I dislike this album'. As far as I can tell the 'I like this album' threads haven't been merged so far, but I would imagine they will.
OFFLINE |  
eonphi's Avatar eonphi
04-27-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_THE_HAT
amen to that

lmao

lets just stick with "agreed"
Old 04-27-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Level Φ - sXe

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
amen to that

lmao

lets just stick with "agreed"
OFFLINE |  
Koskov's Avatar Koskov
04-27-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:
or "i love this album" and "This album shit the bed!"

www.freedummymoney.com
Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
or "i love this album" and "This album shit the bed!"

www.freedummymoney.com
OFFLINE |  
slicknickshady's Avatar slicknickshady
04-27-2006, 04:15 AM

If you think this album is bad you are not a fan of TOOL.

This album kicks ass.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

This album kicks ass.
OFFLINE |  
schmeng's Avatar schmeng
04-27-2006, 04:29 AM

ok then i'm an opiate, undertow, aenima, salival and lateralus fan...but definately not a tool fan, thats crazy talk
Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #8

ok then i'm an opiate, undertow, aenima, salival and lateralus fan...but definately not a tool fan, thats crazy talk
OFFLINE |  
Stev's Avatar Stev
04-27-2006, 04:57 AM

y'all are unbelievable

*sigh*

I give up.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #9

y'all are unbelievable

*sigh*

I give up.
OFFLINE |  
Paradigm619's Avatar Paradigm619
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady

This album kicks ass.
You are the second worst human being alive for posting in this thread.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:07 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:

This album kicks ass.
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM

we should all just fight to the death
Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #11
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

we should all just fight to the death
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
04-27-2006, 07:40 AM

There will always be more people who dislike this album then those who do. That's because most of the world doesn't even listen to tool, much less have actually heard of them.

Put this thing into perspective. Why should you care if someone else doesn't like it? Let the silly monkeys throw stones so we can get back to our filet mignon.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

There will always be more people who dislike this album then those who do. That's because most of the world doesn't even listen to tool, much less have actually heard of them.

Put this thing into perspective. Why should you care if someone else doesn't like it? Let the silly monkeys throw stones so we can get back to our filet mignon.
OFFLINE |  
Oeps
04-27-2006, 07:44 AM

First of all I fully support stev on this one..all this ranting brings us nowhere.
But as seen in this thread there are and always will be people that don't understand the meaning of discussing.

These people really undermine the joy reading these forums, and ruin otherwise good discussions.
If people don't agree with a debatable statement that's fine, actually it's great, because by discussing we'll receive more insight and thereby can form a better opinion about certain subjects. (And that's the point after all, learning by discussing)

But people that only surf these boards by flaming other people with no arguments to back up their opinion, should leave, lurk or make a thread "bitchslap each other all you want" where they can post all their nonsense.

I really don’t understand what's 'cool or whatever' about ruining an potentional good thread. Do these people get a kick out of it or don't they know how to communicate in a social environment? (This question needs no answering cuz that's not the point to be made)

It's just sad to see this all happening, cuz what used to be a discussion-forum about a great band (and all related things) has turned into some sort of chat palace. Some people just show zero respect to other opinions which I really pity.

So please could be just go back and behave like intellectual social human beings....
(For the people that can’t live up to this request “find another place to spoil the fun!)

Cheers,
Rick

(btw if my English isn't entirely correct it’s because it isn’t my native language)

Last edited by Oeps; 04-27-2006 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #13

Bincount™: 2

First of all I fully support stev on this one..all this ranting brings us nowhere.
But as seen in this thread there are and always will be people that don't understand the meaning of discussing.

These people really undermine the joy reading these forums, and ruin otherwise good discussions.
If people don't agree with a debatable statement that's fine, actually it's great, because by discussing we'll receive more insight and thereby can form a better opinion about certain subjects. (And that's the point after all, learning by discussing)

But people that only surf these boards by flaming other people with no arguments to back up their opinion, should leave, lurk or make a thread "bitchslap each other all you want" where they can post all their nonsense.

I really don’t understand what's 'cool or whatever' about ruining an potentional good thread. Do these people get a kick out of it or don't they know how to communicate in a social environment? (This question needs no answering cuz that's not the point to be made)

It's just sad to see this all happening, cuz what used to be a discussion-forum about a great band (and all related things) has turned into some sort of chat palace. Some people just show zero respect to other opinions which I really pity.

So please could be just go back and behave like intellectual social human beings....
(For the people that can’t live up to this request “find another place to spoil the fun!)

Cheers,
Rick

(btw if my English isn't entirely correct it’s because it isn’t my native language)

Last edited by Oeps; 04-27-2006 at 08:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
hunterSthompson's Avatar hunterSthompson
04-27-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:

This album kicks ass.

...Dickhead
Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 159

Quote:

This album kicks ass.

...Dickhead
OFFLINE |  
hunterSthompson's Avatar hunterSthompson
04-27-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm619
Who is the first worst human then?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm619
Who is the first worst human then?
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
04-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Right In Two is completely relevant to the state of these forums lately. Sigh.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
04-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:

This album kicks ass.
By the very content of your first sentence, I would argue that you, yourself, are not a fan of Tool.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." "People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play." A million other quotes from countless other Tool songs urging listeners to use their minds to decide for themselves. And here you are trying to put shackles on them by saying they have to like this album if they want to call themselves Tool fans. Going against the very principles Tool would have their listeners understand. The message is to think for yourself and make your own decisions, not to be unconditionally enraptured with every release they put out.

I truly believe that Tool would rather have fans who consciously and carefully consider their records and decide, without bias, whether or not they like it, instead of deciding that they love it so they can be called fans. Just because it's from Tool.

So in summation: Get the fuck out of here with that shit. Thx.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:

This album kicks ass.
By the very content of your first sentence, I would argue that you, yourself, are not a fan of Tool.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." "People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play." A million other quotes from countless other Tool songs urging listeners to use their minds to decide for themselves. And here you are trying to put shackles on them by saying they have to like this album if they want to call themselves Tool fans. Going against the very principles Tool would have their listeners understand. The message is to think for yourself and make your own decisions, not to be unconditionally enraptured with every release they put out.

I truly believe that Tool would rather have fans who consciously and carefully consider their records and decide, without bias, whether or not they like it, instead of deciding that they love it so they can be called fans. Just because it's from Tool.

So in summation: Get the fuck out of here with that shit. Thx.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |  
AgentDMT
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987
hehe i was going to say that...

"split it right in two."
Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987
hehe i was going to say that...

"split it right in two."
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Who are we to raise our fingers?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Who are we to raise our fingers?
OFFLINE |