Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
mulhollanddriven
04-26-2006, 04:54 PM

I think that a lot of people that aren't liking it are going to grow into it. It is such a dense, layered, jarring mixture that it is bound to provoke a reaction.

There is this almost native american undertone to the album that I feel is a new contribution to music. I have never heard anyone pull off anything that feels quite like it. There are definitely flourishes of Meshuggah and Aphex Twin here and there but the overall feel is so monolithic. You can't help but be bowled over by the power of it.

I have been playing drums since I was a little kid and teaching music since I was in my teens and believe me when I say that the drumming is nothing short of astonishingly complex and innovative. Not only did Danny Carey create the drums he is playing on, but he was able to seamlessly weave them into an acoustic setting and choose the right sounds to compliment the music. Anyone who is old enough here to remember other artists creating Moogs and synths to use for their albums probably understands what happens when a band creates and instrument....they usually play the most obnoxious sound the thing will make. But the sounds he triggers are elegant and fit the music. That takes an amazing amount of self discipline and is probably the thing that I appreciate about this album the most so far.

For some reason I think the stage show for this album is going to be insane. For some reason I picture them all shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off. I think that it would be a great stripped down experience. Just a punch in the gut. I think this tour will go down as the greatest and this album will as well.

Ok, I'm done sucking the band off. I just had to share my appreciation. Not only am I buying a copy of the album myself, but I'm going to buy a second copy just to negate some other asshat stealing it.

Well done, guys.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
This album is amazing.

I think that a lot of people that aren't liking it are going to grow into it. It is such a dense, layered, jarring mixture that it is bound to provoke a reaction.

There is this almost native american undertone to the album that I feel is a new contribution to music. I have never heard anyone pull off anything that feels quite like it. There are definitely flourishes of Meshuggah and Aphex Twin here and there but the overall feel is so monolithic. You can't help but be bowled over by the power of it.

I have been playing drums since I was a little kid and teaching music since I was in my teens and believe me when I say that the drumming is nothing short of astonishingly complex and innovative. Not only did Danny Carey create the drums he is playing on, but he was able to seamlessly weave them into an acoustic setting and choose the right sounds to compliment the music. Anyone who is old enough here to remember other artists creating Moogs and synths to use for their albums probably understands what happens when a band creates and instrument....they usually play the most obnoxious sound the thing will make. But the sounds he triggers are elegant and fit the music. That takes an amazing amount of self discipline and is probably the thing that I appreciate about this album the most so far.

For some reason I think the stage show for this album is going to be insane. For some reason I picture them all shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off. I think that it would be a great stripped down experience. Just a punch in the gut. I think this tour will go down as the greatest and this album will as well.

Ok, I'm done sucking the band off. I just had to share my appreciation. Not only am I buying a copy of the album myself, but I'm going to buy a second copy just to negate some other asshat stealing it.

Well done, guys.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-26-2006, 05:19 PM

shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off

I love the record as well. I think the comment above would be a great album title.

"Shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off"
Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: This album is amazing.

shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off

I love the record as well. I think the comment above would be a great album title.

"Shirtless and heavily bearded and just going off"
OFFLINE |  
SpentAndSighing
04-26-2006, 06:20 PM

I think this is what Danny meant when he said that 10K Days is their "blues album". The stripped down feel, meat and potatoes rock and roll.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I think this is what Danny meant when he said that 10K Days is their "blues album". The stripped down feel, meat and potatoes rock and roll.
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
04-26-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhollanddriven

Well done, guys.

im with you, less theatrics, just get out there and fucking go for it.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhollanddriven

Well done, guys.

im with you, less theatrics, just get out there and fucking go for it.
OFFLINE |  
solidabyss
04-26-2006, 07:06 PM

fuck yeah! finally a thread that appreciated the album. i thought it rocked and everytime i listen to it, it get 10,000 times better. 10/10 cant wait to have it in my hands monday night :-Þ
Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

fuck yeah! finally a thread that appreciated the album. i thought it rocked and everytime i listen to it, it get 10,000 times better. 10/10 cant wait to have it in my hands monday night :-Þ
04-27-2006, 01:32 AM

So did I.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

So did I.
OFFLINE |  
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
04-27-2006, 01:32 AM

I appreciated the album since day 1.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #7
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

I appreciated the album since day 1.
04-27-2006, 01:35 AM

Its awesome
Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 AM   #8

Bincount™: 15

Its awesome
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-27-2006, 01:37 AM

No I appreciated the album since day 1 ;)
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

No I appreciated the album since day 1 ;)
OFFLINE |  
drumtool
04-27-2006, 01:38 AM

i agree with everyone on this?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i agree with everyone on this?
OFFLINE |  
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
04-27-2006, 01:39 AM

It's pretty boring by today's standards. Maybe if it was released in the early 18th century it would be worth listening to.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #11
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

It's pretty boring by today's standards. Maybe if it was released in the early 18th century it would be worth listening to.
OFFLINE |  
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
04-27-2006, 01:43 AM

Merzbow is well above the standard, I agree.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #12
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Merzbow is well above the standard, I agree.
OFFLINE |  
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
No, you are wrong, standard music is what you see in the charts. Standard is what is most played on the radio/tv.
but tool is played on the radio/tv...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
No, you are wrong, standard music is what you see in the charts. Standard is what is most played on the radio/tv.
but tool is played on the radio/tv...
04-27-2006, 02:09 AM

I have no idea what you're jabbering about.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #14
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

I have no idea what you're jabbering about.
OFFLINE |  
eonphi's Avatar eonphi
04-27-2006, 03:08 AM

i've loved that album since i first heard it...in my opinion the people who are bitching and moaning about it being rubish are not tool fans and can fuck themselves
Old 04-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #15
Level Φ - sXe

Bincount™: 16

i've loved that album since i first heard it...in my opinion the people who are bitching and moaning about it being rubish are not tool fans and can fuck themselves
OFFLINE |  
Renholder's Avatar Renholder
04-27-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonphi
I wish I could fuck myself. Oh yeah, 10,000 days is amazing. Profound and simultaneously childlike. I even like the seagues.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:45 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonphi
I wish I could fuck myself. Oh yeah, 10,000 days is amazing. Profound and simultaneously childlike. I even like the seagues.
OFFLINE |  
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
04-27-2006, 03:56 AM

i even like the seagulls
Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

i even like the seagulls
04-27-2006, 04:00 AM

it has seagulls?!?!?!?!??!?!? OMG
Old 04-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #18

it has seagulls?!?!?!?!??!?!? OMG
04-27-2006, 04:54 AM

just going off.........
Old 04-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #19
suitably pretentious

Bincount™: 1455

just going off.........
OFFLINE |  
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
04-27-2006, 07:13 AM

I agree that the album is amazing and I'm loving it. The only thing I don't like about it is the ending..I think they should've either ended it with Right in Two and not included Viginiti Tres or put another real song after VT because like ppl said, it's a segue, but a segue into what?? The album is kind of skimpy on actual songs as it is, why did they have to end it with nothing but space ship sounding sound effects almost 5 minutes long?? After Right in Two, I was still left wanting more and VT left me feeling like "WTF?? That's it??".

Bottom line, I love all the real songs on it, but I'm not so crazy about the segues. That said, I know they're part of the experience of the entire CD as a whole so I'll just have to learn to accept them.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #20

I agree that the album is amazing and I'm loving it. The only thing I don't like about it is the ending..I think they should've either ended it with Right in Two and not included Viginiti Tres or put another real song after VT because like ppl said, it's a segue, but a segue into what?? The album is kind of skimpy on actual songs as it is, why did they have to end it with nothing but space ship sounding sound effects almost 5 minutes long?? After Right in Two, I was still left wanting more and VT left me feeling like "WTF?? That's it??".

Bottom line, I love all the real songs on it, but I'm not so crazy about the segues. That said, I know they're part of the experience of the entire CD as a whole so I'll just have to learn to accept them.
OFFLINE |  
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-27-2006, 07:44 AM

I loved it, despised it, then loved it again. Quite a reaction. "Just going off.." yeah i know what you mean, this album is far less theatrical than the last one. Theres less pretense. Although i love Lateralus there have been times when it makes me feel like I should be playin dungeons and dragons or something... This album has alot less of that stuff and as a consequence sounds far more 'real'. Just four guys making great music that kicks the ass of anything else around at the moment, and some of their previous work too.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

I loved it, despised it, then loved it again. Quite a reaction. "Just going off.." yeah i know what you mean, this album is far less theatrical than the last one. Theres less pretense. Although i love Lateralus there have been times when it makes me feel like I should be playin dungeons and dragons or something... This album has alot less of that stuff and as a consequence sounds far more 'real'. Just four guys making great music that kicks the ass of anything else around at the moment, and some of their previous work too.
OFFLINE |  
xlc210
04-27-2006, 08:10 AM

Finally some people with common sense here. I know from a musician's standpoint this album completely blows me out of the water. The problem is the average listener wants something they can relate to, something they can bob their head to. Not here my friends. This album is an absolute mind fuck! I'm sorry but if you understand Tool, their complex time changes, the interweaving of parts and instruments with one another, this is an amazing album. I can easily see why the band members revere this as their best work. Technically it is! Bottom line, amazing, a breath of fresh air, the shovel to get rid of all the crap coming out for the past 5 years.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Finally some people with common sense here. I know from a musician's standpoint this album completely blows me out of the water. The problem is the average listener wants something they can relate to, something they can bob their head to. Not here my friends. This album is an absolute mind fuck! I'm sorry but if you understand Tool, their complex time changes, the interweaving of parts and instruments with one another, this is an amazing album. I can easily see why the band members revere this as their best work. Technically it is! Bottom line, amazing, a breath of fresh air, the shovel to get rid of all the crap coming out for the past 5 years.
OFFLINE |  
xlc210
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM

Another thing, if you rip this album, your opionion. But don't linger around these boards trying to recruit fellow haters. You don't belong here at all, go listen to something you can comprehend like Static X.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Another thing, if you rip this album, your opionion. But don't linger around these boards trying to recruit fellow haters. You don't belong here at all, go listen to something you can comprehend like Static X.
OFFLINE |  
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM

Seagulls? Where? I wanna hear these alleged gulls.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

OFFLINE |  
TheEulogyOfMe's Avatar TheEulogyOfMe
04-27-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
Yes! And let that proverbial shovel dig my friend! Let it dig! This album fucking rocks my balls.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #25

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
Yes! And let that proverbial shovel dig my friend! Let it dig! This album fucking rocks my balls.
04-27-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
Wow. You nailed my sentiments right there. Thanks for putting that into words.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Wow. You nailed my sentiments right there. Thanks for putting that into words.
OFFLINE |  
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
lol, the post above me stated " i even loved the seagues"

i saw i even loved the seagulls and thought i would share.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:
lol, the post above me stated " i even loved the seagues"

i saw i even loved the seagulls and thought i would share.
04-27-2006, 08:05 PM

give me a break, Merzbow is absolute shit. no one really listens noise, im a big noise fan too.
this album is good but it would have been amazing if it was released after undertow.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

give me a break, Merzbow is absolute shit. no one really listens noise, im a big noise fan too.
this album is good but it would have been amazing if it was released after undertow.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply