opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 11-28-2002, 03:57 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Does Maynard screams this long live?

Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?
Old 11-28-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Yes, i have witnessed his ability to perform this act.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bloody hell.....he actually does it live.....how in the hell....uhh........the first time I see Tool live, I -need- to hear this.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:59 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

thats awasome

thats cool ,i cant wait to get that live dvd on my hands is just that i live in puerto rico and we dont get good bands to come. im gonna see Kittie on deevember 21 second concert of my life first one was NFX here in puerto rico..well anyways who cares thanks for answering my quiestion.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

SOMETIMES he does it. It depends. Sometimes he goes longer. :) I heard one report of him hitting 40 seconds on the last tour.

However, if his voice is in need of rest (i.e., when he's sick) sometimes he skips it altogether. It's really a discretionary thing on Maynard's part.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Does Maynard screams this long live?

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos T.
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?
i have witnessed this amazing feat three times, and yes he does!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:47 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah... at the Kalamazoo concert on 10/18, he screamed for about 35-40 seconds. It was quite nice.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i actually had the misfortune of being at a concert and having to decide between seeing him scream the famous scream and saving my girlfriend and i from the carpet of people that is the floor
Old 12-02-2002, 09:23 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

don't discount the possibility of added reverb
Old 12-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

reverb

is good to know that even if he uses reverb he dosent do it exactly the same way everytime sometimes he does 30 seconds maybe 35 or 40. is always diferent.so i think he does it with his real voice without using any shit like chino moreno does or some power metal fucked-up vocalist.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Yes. Every show that I have witnessed since Lateralus came out, Maynard wailed on The Grudge for at least as long as he did on the album. This includes Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, Birmingham, Pensacola and in Biloxi. And the new red backdrop during the grudge on the fall tour just intesifies that scream.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 5
Reverb

As a singer myself, i can assure u people that a good amount of reverb is used for the yell. Maynard is a great singer, indeed. My favorite of all time, but that scream with no reverb or anything would be close to impossible.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #13

ON a live cd I have of the tour before the summer one, he used a delay, and stopped screaming after about ten seconds. I personally timed him at sacremento on that tour as well, and he went 15.
Most likely, he's using a delay and letting that take over after a certain amount of time.
I dont dispite the fact that he can do the scream, but I dispite the fact that he does it every night or frequently, for that matter. That'd take a lot out of you, and thats near the beginning of the show.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #14

Bincount™: 6
When I first saw them in Memphis 2001, he held it for longer than the album, right into the "Let Go" section.

This summer when I saw them in Little Rock, he only held it for half the amount of time on the album

A month ago when I saw them in Biloxi, he almost held it to the end; he only missed maybe the last couple of seconds

Depends on how he's feeling, I suppose...
Old 12-03-2002, 10:02 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Maynard has an amazing voice... but the yell is more like 20-25 seconds (on the CD) and is not duplicated everytime (he is human). There is no way it went for 40 seconds without vocal effects.

It is a very deep and intense yell, regardless.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #16
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
Re: Reverb

Quote:
Originally posted by StinkfistJEff
As a singer myself, i can assure u people that a good amount of reverb is used for the yell. Maynard is a great singer, indeed. My favorite of all time, but that scream with no reverb or anything would be close to impossible.
i disagree. my friend screamed for LONGER than maynard did while we were listening to the cd.

i think physical fitness has a lot to do with it. my friend, being a soccer player, was able to do it quite easily.

and besides, when i saw tool live (twice), maynard did it for the entire time.

peace!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:32 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Was your soccer playing friend able to sustain the same pitch in his yell without cracking?

Its not hard to yell for 25 seconds. The hard part is sustaining the same intensity, pitch, tone, and being able to begin/end decent (cross fades).

My friend, a solid cigarette smoker, was able to do it easy as well. I think it has something to do with talent, desire, and emotion.

Tool!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:53 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think its not a full on, proper scream.

You can do this thing where you constrict the airway by half closing it. It makes your voice very coarse. he could be holding a note while doing this, and by increasing the mic volume, it would sound like a regular scream.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:06 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

I dont know anything about screaming, but I have witnessed it live. Its amazing. The thing that amazes me is that no other singer on the planet has the originality and pure talent to pull this off as art. And thats what Maynard does. Hes amazing.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:28 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Indeed, the scream is so intense...it's not just a grunt...it sounds as if it comes from the centre of hos body...so raw and intense...who cares what he does, it sounds fucking amazing...
Old 12-05-2002, 07:35 PM   #21
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

Listen to the scream....you can hear his voice going out towards the end, struggling to hold it out half a second longer. This to me is proof that he did in fact do it.

I don't think any of us know what is or isn't possible since people are always coming along and redefining the art. Futants.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:27 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

he does. Wether he does it with effect or not is another matter that I can't be sure of. Sometimes it's longer sometimes shorter, In newcastle this year he didn't do it though. Also remember kiddies: Singing along with this is NOT a good idea... <coughs up phlegm>
Old 12-06-2002, 02:51 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

It was about 15 seconds long when I saw them live last year. Regardless, it was impressive, and better than most anyone could do.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:51 AM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
well, you all rule, because at the sydney australia show, he screamed for about 12 seconds . . .

at the newcastle show he completely skipped it . . . i was surprisingly quite disappointed . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 12-06-2002, 09:20 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
It's a yell, not a scream. =P

I have a live version and he yells for about 12 seconds.. he can probably do more.. and it is at FULL FORCE, so I don't think you can just turn up the volume and get the same effect.. hehe it's really awesome though.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:04 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

my God...i call myself a Tool fan and i dunt know wot is that scream u all r tokin' about...plz lemme know wot is it and at what part of the song does it come...?...i know i am dumb!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 11:00 AM   #27
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
In the album version of The Grudge fast forward to 6:56
Old 12-07-2002, 11:30 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard actually starts the scream hunched over, takes a big breath in his diaphragm and then let's go. He screams while he arches his back. Once he passes the "vertical" position, he begins to let gravity push the air out of his body instead of him totally doing it. I've seen him arch his back until his head nearly came down to his ass, screaming the whole time. If you were to trace his head while he is performing this feat, it would form an upside-down parabola.

Think, "technique"
Old 12-07-2002, 12:01 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

The scream can definitely be done. I can do it myself, holding the same pitch throughout, for up to about 28 seconds before my voice begins to weaken. Half that if I've been singing already that day, though...

I've heard Maynard hold a scream for 30+ seconds before, without a delay or reverb, and I'm fairly sure he can still do it...
Old 12-07-2002, 12:31 PM   #30

There is no need for any techno mumbo jumbo voice altering garbage, you just need to have will and a good set of lungs, although 40 seconds is unimaginable to me.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:50 AM   #31
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
in cleveland (2001 and 2002) he did the scream/yell. there appeared to be no reverb, he did the full 30 both times, without any stop, he did do the "upside down parabola" where he starts hunched over and ends bent over backwards. i think that has a lot to do with his sustain.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:51 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

What about there live Cd ? The line " You lied " lasts 28 seconds by my count
Old 12-09-2002, 02:17 PM   #33

Im pretty sure the scream is possible...the reason that it may seem near impossible to match the CD is because we are not performing it with an audience (for 1) and we are also forcing our voices to match the pitch...personally though I can emulate Maynards voice quite well my voice is lower so it requires more air to produce the sound. I would also not be too suprised if the scream in fact was a sound produced from a semi closed windpipe and the volume turned up...its much easier to maintain the pitch that way and the intensity is easily produced by the air speeding up through the narrower gap. I think by using the technique described earlier and having the added advantage of a live crowd Maynard is more then capable of this scream...i know when i perform live my voice is much more powerful and my breath lasts much longer...so keep that in mind. Im sure even pros like Tool still get a thrill out of playing live
Old 12-09-2002, 07:14 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
"the scream"

Agreed, it's down to practice & technique, not effects. He's been screaming similarly since Opiate, notably the title track, so he's well practiced, and it'd be no suprise if his lungs have expanded naturally too.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:58 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

When I saw Tool live here in Brisbane he just screamed half of the album version. No complaints cause it still sounded just like the real thing. There’s just one thing all of you are forgetting. Some are saying you can perform this scream but are you 5ft1
Old 12-11-2002, 06:03 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

haha, good point Jizzlobber, and I must say thats a very graceful name.

It could very well be a real scream, as already stated, he's had around 15+ years of practice.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:28 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

what?

what are you saying? that maynard is 51 years old?your wrong his is close to 40.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:24 AM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yeh.....its not a scream..its a yeall...and i had another version of the song which didn't had that yell....i heard the cd version and i was really impressed to hear it...its like his voice was so powerful!....thumbs up for maynard!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:45 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

in my experiences yes at the winston salem concert of 2002 anybody can ask anybody that went his scream on third eye was AFUCKINGMAZING, beautifully amazing!
Old 12-22-2002, 05:54 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Ofcourse he does, saw him do it live 4 times, one show longer and better than the other, but always impressive..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: