opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ćnima » 03. H.
User Name
Password
Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
The Meaning of H. Spoken by Maynard himself

During the 1997 Lollapooloza tour Maynard spoke something generally like this " This next song is about having children, do any of you have kids? It is amazing how much they change your life isn't it?" Then began to play H. which is one of my favorite songs. If you listen to the song you can see why this could be true:

Whats coming through is alive - Giving Birth

My blood before me begs me open up my heart again - His child is his blood, wants to be loved, all children to

I feel this coming over like a storm again - All of the emotions that being a father brings.

I am too connected to you, slip away to fade away, Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me - He is his son he is connected to him, days away.. while on tour waiting to come home to see him, killing me.. he misses him so much it is killing him.

And as the snake is drowned and as i looked in his eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times i could have cried then, I should have cried then - He has been scared of being a father but as he looks at his son he loosed that fear, he should of cried when his child was born because he was so happy.

And as the snake is drowned and as i look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times i have died, and will die its alright i don't mind - he is now speaking to his son, saying im not scared anymore im not scared your going to hurt me, and make me die inside, and all the times in the future that you will do it, i dont mind i love you your my son.

Thats how I take the song ever since 1997.

What do you think??
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

I have very similar ideas on this song. I think it makes sense. Here is my interpretation of this track.

"Whats coming through is alive
Whats holding up is a mirror
Whats singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn my piss to wine"

The birth of a child. With them they bring a whole new way of thinking for the parents. There is the nurturing and loving and caring, unconditionally, not to mention the fine line of whether to let your child play with fire and get burnt, or tell them that its hot and not to touch (sorry, lack of a better example). I think the introduction of the snake (an archetype, possibly in this case referring to control?) hints that the early stages of a childs life certainly needs this predictability and comfort and help from the parents, hence the snake is singing.

"They’re both totally void of hate
But killing me just the same
Snake behind me hisses
What my damage could’ve been
My blood before me megs me to open up my heart again
And I feel this coming over like a storm again, considerately."

The two strong feelings are tearing this parent apart. They are both totally natural and pure. Their child continues to grow, pushing every stage of their life, making mistakes and generally learning for themselves. As a parent, seeing this and not standing over the child to protect them can be quite difficult. He can see in his child eyes that they are human and free spirits, but the snake hisses at the child again, and the child asks “what my damage could’ve been?” implying that we all need to have a chance at learning for ourselves. The storm I think just indicates the build up of all of these emotions inside the parents head, and the childs for that matter.

"Venomous voice tempts me, drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down
Like some sweet gravity."

This part is just beautiful. The snake continues to hiss, and these strong feelings are starting to affect him physically and emotionally, it is draining him.

"I am too connected to you to slip away
Fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me
Changing me, considerately killing me."

The love between a child and their parent is a bond which seldom breaks. The parent asserts that even though he has these feelings of over-bearing protection, he understands that he must let go, eventually. But this letting go means that he must also rid himself of the snake. The snake is apart of himself so he sees his son as unintentionally killing the snake, changing him.

"Without the skin here, beneath the storm, under these tears, now the walls came down. And as the snake is drowned, and as I look in his eyes my fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times I have cried, and will cry"

It sounds as though there was some sort of emotional discussion where-by the parent finally overcomes the snake through communication and understanding, as the snake is really only a metaphor for a part of the psyche which, essentially, we all have (hence the archetype). He faces these emotions and through this understanding his fears of burdening his child fade.

"And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes, my fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times I have died, and will die, its alright. I don’t mind."

Now the parent knows that these were all natural emotions and that he will probably be confronted by them again, but he doesn’t mind.

"I am too connected to you to slip away
Fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me
Changing me, considerately killing me."

There it is. Not very well explained, but I think you can see where I am coming from. Remark, abuse, diss, make fun of, flirt or do whatever you want to this post.

Thank you for reading,
Andy
Old 06-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #3

Bincount™: 206
sounds good to me, but if it is true, how does the title H. fit into it?
Old 06-08-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
Banned.

Quote:
Originally posted by m4yn4rd
sounds good to me, but if it is true, how does the title H. fit into it?
anyone know his son's name? H could be short for Herbert.? I dunno.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by soberwithapenis
anyone know his son's name? H could be short for Herbert.? I dunno.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.

His sons name is Devo, but his middle name is H. Just H. nothing more, read my post about my interpretation of H, it explains it there
Old 06-25-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 773
H. could be a bunch of things. Like happiness..or holy...or Horatio Hornblower. Who knows? Who cares?

And I think what a few people may have missed was the possibility that Maynard is also reflecting on his own childhood....

"My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again."
-Perhaps he sees his child as wanting him to look back to his own childhood, to understand what it means to be a child. Or maybe he thinks this is right.

"And I feel this coming over likea storm again."
-It could be interpreted as him realizing that the part of the cycle of life that he went through, (childhood) is about to come around again in the form of his son. He's going to observe his son go through things that he did as a child

"I could/should have cried then----recalling all of the times I have died, I will die."
Again, he could be looking back into his own youth.

Though like any Tool song, it could be interpreted a million ways. But the concept of this being about his child does make sense. I'm not saying that these interpretations are what I think is correct, I'm just providing a possible meaning.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

H. stands for Heroin?

I hate to sound arrogant, but this is really obvious if you know that H is a slang for Heroin. Heroin is spelled with a capital H because it is a brand name - the drug is really called diacetylmorphine. The snake refers to the drug, which will tempt you because it seems to turn piss to wine - and which would you rather have?

The "blood before me" is about the physical addiction to the drug, wanting it back to deal with the pain of life. The connection with the drug is a deep emotional connection that doesn't just go away when you stop using. When you're sad, the drug prevents you from crying or expressing your feeling, instead it gives you that feeling that is "so comfortable, too comfortable" (Undertow).

In regards to childbirth/childhood, it's about that return to childhood that one sees when the third eye opens. It can't open on drugs. From personal experience, recovery from drug abuse is like being reborn.

This song shares a line with Alice in Chains - Angry Chair, where Layne says regarding Heroin:

"Can't find it anywhere, I don't mind."

Last edited by PRNinja23; 07-01-2003 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-07-2003, 09:07 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Re: H. stands for Heroin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNinja23
I hate to sound arrogant, but this is really obvious if you know that H is a slang for Heroin. Heroin is spelled with a capital H because it is a brand name - the drug is really called diacetylmorphine. The snake refers to the drug, which will tempt you because it seems to turn piss to wine - and which would you rather have?

The "blood before me" is about the physical addiction to the drug, wanting it back to deal with the pain of life. The connection with the drug is a deep emotional connection that doesn't just go away when you stop using. When you're sad, the drug prevents you from crying or expressing your feeling, instead it gives you that feeling that is "so comfortable, too comfortable" (Undertow).

In regards to childbirth/childhood, it's about that return to childhood that one sees when the third eye opens. It can't open on drugs. From personal experience, recovery from drug abuse is like being reborn.

This song shares a line with Alice in Chains - Angry Chair, where Layne says regarding Heroin:

"Can't find it anywhere, I don't mind."

i am more inclined to follow boith interpretations, as i have debated both. the addiction, and the birth of a child.

in teh faq area, was not this song referred as to almost eb ing called "half empty or half full" or has all that changed....you never know the real meaning of things w/tool, and that is fine with me...

louis
Old 07-10-2003, 04:14 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123
Re: The Meaning of H. Spoken by Maynard himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSenart
During the 1997 Lollapooloza tour Maynard spoke something generally like this " This next song is about having children, do any of you have kids? It is amazing how much they change your life isn't it?" Then began to play H. which is one of my favorite songs. If you listen to the song you can see why this could be true:

Whats coming through is alive - Giving Birth

My blood before me begs me open up my heart again - His child is his blood, wants to be loved, all children to

I feel this coming over like a storm again - All of the emotions that being a father brings.

I am too connected to you, slip away to fade away, Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me - He is his son he is connected to him, days away.. while on tour waiting to come home to see him, killing me.. he misses him so much it is killing him.

And as the snake is drowned and as i looked in his eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times i could have cried then, I should have cried then - He has been scared of being a father but as he looks at his son he loosed that fear, he should of cried when his child was born because he was so happy.

And as the snake is drowned and as i look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times i have died, and will die its alright i don't mind - he is now speaking to his son, saying im not scared anymore im not scared your going to hurt me, and make me die inside, and all the times in the future that you will do it, i dont mind i love you your my son.

Thats how I take the song ever since 1997.

What do you think??
Good shit.
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
Old 07-24-2003, 06:40 AM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Thats pretty cool. I still think all songs are how you interpret it
Old 07-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

yup yup

I just wanted to post what I heard MJK say. Though it can be interperted so many ways.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

H. Means

The meaning of H. is HalfEmpty or HalfFull, as it says in the Tool FAQ.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

"G30. OK, they have a song called "H." What's it stand for?

The working / early title for this song was "Half Empty." The H likely stands for that (or "Half Full"). It may represent the old "half-empty is interchangeable with half-full" notion. Of course, it could also stand for anything else. It's a safe bet that it does not stand for Heroin. " - The Tool FAQ / Kabir
Old 07-27-2003, 08:58 PM   #13

Re: H. Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartiallyNothing
The meaning of H. is HalfEmpty or HalfFull, as it says in the Tool FAQ.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

"G30. OK, they have a song called "H." What's it stand for?

The working / early title for this song was "Half Empty." The H likely stands for that (or "Half Full"). It may represent the old "half-empty is interchangeable with half-full" notion. Of course, it could also stand for anything else. It's a safe bet that it does not stand for Heroin. " - The Tool FAQ / Kabir

well... Music is an oppinion whether it be music is good... or music is bad. Music is an opinion. So if somoeone looks at this song as a song about heroin than let them... just tell us what you think of the song. and we will either agree or disagree
Old 07-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

i've heard him talk about his son right before H. as well.
if maynard talks about his son right before the song, its pretty obvious the song is about his son.
H. may be slang for heroin, or the song may be about the half empty half full- question, theres nobody who knows better what the song is about than maynard himself. he is trying to tell us something. so he is not just mentioning his son who's middle name just happens to be H.

it's almost offfensive to just ignore his words and say the song is about drugs, when the song is about the love for children and parenthood. isn't that beautiful enough?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
H is about Hydrogen, yes, because a capitol H stands for Hydrogen. No, I don't really think that, I'm just saying that a capital H might be slang for Heroin, but that doesn't mean that it stands for that in Maynard's mind. P.S. One thing that I've learned is that you really haven't learned a thing if you make statements here instead of just ideas, comments, or opinions. So, maybe just saying that you think that song is about Heroin, that it makes sense to you for it to be about that, that is good, but to start saying that IT IS, and that you don't mean to sound arrogant because as soon as you say that, you sound arrogant. P.P.S Maynard has said that he wants to meet his fans through their music, so, however you interpret it and meet with the band, that is perfectly fine I think. Anyway, any comments are welcome.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

H Interps

Isnt it just amazing how an interpretation on HEROIN can sound right.... then something in a totally different realm, like childbirth, can be interpreted from the same set of lyrics... and both are right!

WOW TOOL is more insane than I could ever imagine :-D

but remember... It doesnt matter whats right
Old 09-26-2003, 11:44 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

The Meaning of H

I have posted this before and I still don't understand how you guys can be a member of a website and not read the FAQ section!!! H is NOT about Heroin that is ridiculous!! And referring to Maynard's songs like he's a junkee is an insult to me and TooL.

H stand for....Half Empy or Half Full...nothing else, and I read the magazine were Maynard was quoted saying that.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Maynard says a lot of things.... doesnt mean that hes serious. Sometimes they make stuff up or whatever. The lesson here is to find your own meaning.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: The Meaning of H

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L
I have posted this before and I still don't understand how you guys can be a member of a website and not read the FAQ section!!! H is NOT about Heroin that is ridiculous!! And referring to Maynard's songs like he's a junkee is an insult to me and TooL.

H stand for....Half Empy or Half Full...nothing else, and I read the magazine were Maynard was quoted saying that.
Oh, thanks, mate. I didn't realise that it was that simple. Did you hear that everyone, all we should have been doing this whole time was just accept the first things we read about in an interview.

Gosh, I was wasting all this time researching and shit, trying to learn something new, when it was as simple as that.

Thanks again, buddy.

p.s. Try reading something OTHER than the FAQ. There are heaps of good books out there and you never know, you might learn something new.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #20
Banned.

Re: The Meaning of H

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L
One time I read this magazine article where Tool said there was a going to be a song called Poopy the Clown on their next cd, so I don't trust the magazines anymore.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Live in Tilbug:

"This song is called Schism" *CHEERS* "We have renamed this song. It is now called, The Dirty Banana."
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

That was pretty gay.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:21 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123
It was but it was funny nonetheless.
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
Old 10-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

l didn't mean what he said. l meant how he put the meaning of the song of what Maynard says it to be...and then just gave us that.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:23 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard could've just said that stuff before they played H. just so he could fuck with your minds, and you would end up listening to H. always thinking that it was about the birth of his child...and them emotions that follows. PRNinja23 is getting somewhere with that whole heroin fact i mean why would maynard write "piss turns to wine'' part if its about Devo?
Well happy thinking........
Think for yourself, dont believe everything your told
+DeadOhio+
Old 10-12-2003, 11:29 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

But it's been spoken previously about how the meaning of the title of the song H. is NOT heroin. Some people think it means half full...that l'm not possitive about, but it makes more sense. He could be talking to turning piss into wine because of biblical history...how God can change things. lncluding turning something bad, into good.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #27
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
did you ever think the half empty half full, could relate to his son
Old 10-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

I read that Maynard's name is actually Maynard H. Keenan.Die hard Tool fans correct me if I am wrong.I agree that the song is about the birth of his son.Piss to wine?Wine represents the sperm.Think about it...
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Maynards name is Maynard J. Keenan. This is because of his true first name James, Maynard James Keenan. He changed his name, his real name is James Herbert Keenan...He took off the Herbert, added the Maynard to the front...Making it Maynard J.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:32 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow,so his real middle initial is H.Think about it.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:23 PM   #31
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2459

interpretation of a song is the worst thing to ever argue about. it ruins the song. instead of sitting back and letting the music pass over and through you people begin to sit and pick apart ever thing he says. even if i am just wallowing in a pool of naievity(<- not a real word)
i rather owuld be then ruining great music. H can mean so many things. H. can mean nothing. the only thing that really matters to me is the music.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:53 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Glad some other people here have looked at the song as something other than usage/addiction to heroin. Tool has no other songs about drugs, and i could never bring myself to think this one to be either. Personally I always kinda thought it was something about a failing relationship, but childbirth/having a son makes just as much sense. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:48 PM   #33

I do not believe that this song is about heirion or about chidren.. I have always interpreted as a strugle for ones self being..... its pretty amazing. but music is what you take out of it right?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #34
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by naked_but_oblivious
interpretation of a song is the worst thing to ever argue about. it ruins the song. instead of sitting back and letting the music pass over and through you people begin to sit and pick apart ever thing he says. even if i am just wallowing in a pool of naievity(<- not a real word)
i rather owuld be then ruining great music. H can mean so many things. H. can mean nothing. the only thing that really matters to me is the music.
arguing about the meaning is stupid, but these discussions can help open our eyes to other ideas

MOST IMPORTANT is how you apply the lyrics to your life,
Old 10-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 561

Phallic imagery.

-or-

...Sometimes a snake is just a snake.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

im actualy kind of suprised no one has mentioned this (or maybe they have..i dunno) but in the tree of life, your ego is the "snake" that constricts the proggression of your soul, and Tool seems kinda big on that... hot? warm? cold? needing to shut up now? alright im gonna go do something disfunctional now...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh...fork?
im actualy kind of suprised no one has mentioned this (or maybe they have..i dunno) but in the tree of life, your ego is the "snake" that constricts the proggression of your soul, and Tool seems kinda big on that... hot? warm? cold? needing to shut up now? alright im gonna go do something disfunctional now...
(Not to be too fragment, but...............) Thats an interesting point.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Heroin my ass... i seriously doubt this (wonderful) song is an ode to some narcotic. Childbirth is a more likely interpretation, but that just dosn't seem enough....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehhico
(Not to be too fragment, but...............) Thats an interesting point.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh...fork?
Heroin my ass... i seriously doubt this (wonderful) song is an ode to some narcotic. Childbirth is a more likely interpretation, but that just dosn't seem enough....
then again, tool is a rather unpredictable bunch of lads.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:57 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-bay-be
Thats pretty cool. I still think all songs are how you interpret it
I've heard too many interpretations to believe that there is just one.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: