opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 6. Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 11-24-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26
Limp bizkit and opiate

the local rock station here put this one on the radio once...... limp bizkit covering opiate........ AND THEY ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED THE SONG.... im sure if you go on your mp3 finders you'll find the song....

There should be a law that you shouldnt cover a band if you suck... and now i hate fred durst with a passion.... he ruined a good song

tell me what you think
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
I've heard that cover too and it did make me want to vomit. No band should ever embarass themselves by attempting to cover Tool. However I wouldnt spend too much time worrying about what fred does, just listen to the Tool version of the song and you'll feel better.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:36 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Killing myself

I have never once in my life considered suicide... until now. Does Fred Durst realize his is a fucking moron?
Old 11-25-2002, 04:30 AM   #4
i am jack's shattered dreams (tdn $upporter)

most times i like when bands cover other bands...its a way of saying "hey, you guys rock, so we're gonna play a song of yours in tribute"

but in the case of Limp bizkits cover of opiate.... this does not apply

i have yet to hear a good Tool cover....

"some people don't even think i'm a robot, they think im puerto rican and just really good at math."- Sad Bot
Old 11-26-2002, 09:54 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

unfair

i haven't quite heard the limp bizquick cover of opiate but i can see how it would be desgustingly unpleasant. although i'm going to have to disagree with the few of you that said that tool songs shouldn't be covered. My boyfriend is in a tool cover band called undertow and i think they do an awesome job at covering tool songs. those boys are extremely talented and are in two other bands that do their own original work that is very tool influenced. i think it is unfair to say that bands shouldn't cover tool, unless of course you suck at life like freddy durst.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:04 AM   #6
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Limp Bizkit...pfft

they are idiots (LB) they did ruin that song when they covered it. idiots i say, idiots
Old 11-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Last Tool show on 24th

Did Maynard really comment on Fred Durst and Kid Rock at the show on the 24th? On the one review i read somebody mentioned he said something directly towards Fred Durst and Kid Rock. I don't know there is also more asshole liars that post reviews about shows then there are of people actually having the right set list posted. Oh, they also posted that Wes B.(former guitarist of Limp Bizkit) was at the show and they had met him there.

Any Comments?
Old 11-26-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37

I'll add this tidbit: Peach covered Hush in their live sets.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:25 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
so?

So what? Maybe they did ruin it, but in a sense they have a right to. What kind of a person are you suggesting that just because they suck means they can't cover a good song? At least they made an effort. Tool is all about expressing yourself and doing your own thing. Sure, Tool would probably disagree strongly with Limp Bizkit on many points, but I'm sure they would defend their right for musical experimentation. "no matter how much I disagree with what he has to say, i must defend his right to say it." I'm pretty sure somebody famous said that. I do agree with the fact the cover licked much balls, but again i say so what? People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play. So hush.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:39 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

not speaking for tool

This isn't speaking for tool directly but if any band really wants to "tribute" tool by doing a cover they wouldnt do a half assed attempt like the limp bizkit version which was complete trash. if you have respect for what tool does, and stands for, or doesnt stand for or whatever then you would atleast listen to the music and see how they treat other bands music when THEY cover it. as musicians they deserve atleast that much respect, and if you cant respect a band enough to cover the song well, don't cover it at all. The no quarter cover was originally meant for a led zeppelin tribute and they walked over how long it should be... I'd like to think that atleast part of that was because they felt that the song needed to be as long as it was to do it justice, to be the TOOL cover of that song, and not just some rehash of the same thing. anyway maybe tool shouldn't say anything about the cover ( I dont think they have actually unless that statement about the live show is true) but as a fan of tool and having heard fred claim he's a fan and respects tool I'd like to think he could show some sort of respect for them. but the guys got an ego bigger than the united states and it's been a pleasure not to have to see his arrogant face anywhere for the last 4-5 months.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:48 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Any time I think about Fred, I remember during that Staind song (Outside or whatever) when he says,

"This is the real mutha-fuckin-deal yall. Im feelin those lighters"

He should have that line carved on his tombstone, it so elegantly sums him up.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:42 AM   #12
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Re: so?

Quote:
Originally posted by Satan
So what? Maybe they did ruin it, but in a sense they have a right to. What kind of a person are you suggesting that just because they suck means they can't cover a good song? At least they made an effort. Tool is all about expressing yourself and doing your own thing. Sure, Tool would probably disagree strongly with Limp Bizkit on many points, but I'm sure they would defend their right for musical experimentation. "no matter how much I disagree with what he has to say, i must defend his right to say it." I'm pretty sure somebody famous said that. I do agree with the fact the cover licked much balls, but again i say so what? People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play. So hush.
That is a really good point, we kinda have judged them on their pop-shit status before realizing that they are allowed to cover songs and express themselves musically, even though it doesnt mean they should.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:06 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Limp bizkit and opiate

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffElston

There should be a law that you shouldnt cover a band if you suck... and now i hate fred durst with a passion.... he ruined a good song

tell me what you think
i like that, yeah limp bizkit has lots of problems. their biggest deal is that fred has no talent by any stretch of the imagination. He did say tool was the best band in the world ill give him that but they destroy every song they cover, they need to stick with their originals at least their originals allready suck..
Old 12-02-2002, 08:50 AM   #14

This is for the guy that said he's not heard a good Tool cover:

Check out Staind doing Sober. It's pretty impressive.

Other than that, I think Fred Durst has become a mockery of and a tool for the music industry today. I remember when Bizkit first came out in '97, and I and my friends thought it was pretty impressive. Not as hard as Korn, but not straight hip hop, either. What I know now, though, is that since Fred has all this money, the thinks he can ride his little prankfest for the rest of his life. I don't think that he's figured out yet that LB is nothing without Wes Borland, and that his little bitchy whininess isn't going to sell too many more records, because everyone's sick to death of his misogynistic bitching.

While I give him credit for having an eye for melody, if not talent, in the bands he chooses to help along, he's nothing but a pathetic piece of shit who's obviously in it for the money and the women.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

for this fred needs to be fucked in the ass with a crooked broom stick.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:34 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by rickiep00h
Pardon me while I act a little...well, childish.

Staind fucking sucks. Their cover of Sober fucking sucks. They are terrible. Much like Limp Bizkit, they should be covering POD or some other terrible band, not Tool. Tool should be covered, if at all, by bands who are in it because of the art, the music, the emotion behind the songs. Not the groupies. However, as much as I disagree with them doing so, who the hell are we to say they can't cover it. And to the guy who said that there should be a law that shitty bands can't cover good bands' work.......grow up.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 PM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: the house with the red door... now red was your colour
Bincount™: 2324
When a band has the 'honour' of being covered by another band, it should be for that purpose of saying "you guys rock...". Yet, how can Limp Bizkit, in particular that loser Fred Durst say that he likes Tool and contribute only a piece of shit that is stained with a talentless and pathetic aftertaste that makes me want to garrot him with a piece of piano wire.
For now, I have decided to continue to listen to Tool, and solely Tool, so as to not poison my vocal chords with covers as crap as Opiate by Limp Bizkit.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:12 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah... well...

I agree that Durst sucks the ass, and if he had any shame, which he doesn't, he would be embarrassed about even trying, especially without wes, the only person worth listening to in the band. The fact that they shouldn't have tried doesn't mean anything after the fact, however, and someone would, using this reasoning, be just as justified in silencing Tool as Limp. I think that people can cover songs just in fun, but the original song should really have been made just for the fun of the music as well. Take punk covers of 80s songs. Neither have lyrical or musical value, but i think the stupid/fun spirit of the shitty 80s music converts well into the stupid/fun spirit of the not-as-shitty-but-not-that-good-either punk style. Umm... i guess my point would be that they weren't wrong in trying to cover the song; they were wrong in their half-assed effort and in missing the general spirit of Tool's style and the message of Opiate.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:05 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Ohio Sky
I'll add this tidbit: Peach covered Hush in their live sets.
yes, but peach is/was good. and tool covered 'you lied' on salival, so its a fair trade.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickiep00h

opinions section= my opinion.., i disagree i think the staind cover of sober wasnt that good at all.. For one Aaron lewis didnt even sign the correct words to it, it was very slow, i just didnt enjoy it...maybe others think it was ok, i must say their drummer is pretty good, one of the only reasons i listend to the song all they way through. I respect staind for showing that tool is an influence to them and i even agree with them covering the song, i just didnt think it was that good.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:48 AM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
I have covered stinkfist. I do think you have to be careful when trying to cover tool song because to make it an inaccurate translation is like half-ass translating a bible from hebrew and saying, that's good enough, they'll get the point (which, by the way, is probably what happened). We made sure we had the bases covered when we covered stinkfist. There were hardly any other songs on the record that all of us could play.

And Staind can kiss my non whining ass.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125
Well, I found the song on kazaa. It is truly terrible. It reminded me of when I had an intestinal virus that caused me to vomit shit, real shit. But you gotta give Limp Bizkit kudos for trying.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #23

First thing... vomiting shit has got to be the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

Second. I happen to like Staind. Or rather, I like SOME of staind. To say they're in it for groupies is probably one of the more generalized things I've heard, as I know Aaron is married and tours with his wife, and I believe most of the other members are, too. So that's just outright wrong.

I like their first two CDs. They're really quite heavy, and I can put aside Aaron's bitching about his life because they're pretty good songs.

HOWEVER

I don't like most of Break the Cycle because they DID sell out, because they were listening to Fred Durst.

Yes, Aaron sings the wrong words in a couple places. Yes, it's a little slow. But I think any band that can take a song as instantly recognizable as Sober and do it well enough to not get stoned to death by fans of the original band has got the ability to at least play pretty good covers for a living.

I don't know. I didn't say it was perfect, but Joe Blow's Cover Band down at the bar isn't going to give you perfect Skynyrd night after night, either.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:52 AM   #24
Mr. 200,000

Bincount™: 3568
I cant believe half of you guys are showing sympathy towards limp bizkit....Ive had to sit through many a days at school with people raving over bands just like these (POD, Linkin Park etc)....and I am fed up with that shit.....to all Fred Dursts clones I say 'learn to swim'

....oh yeah speaking of POD did you all hear what one of the 'band' members said about Maynard??....Im not going to write exactly what he said but basically he said that MJK makes money out of 'dissing' jesus.....I think hes an idiot and he has missed the point completely.....

spiral out....
Old 12-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally posted by 48&2
I cant believe half of you guys are showing sympathy towards limp bizkit....Ive had to sit through many a days at school with people raving over bands just like these (POD, Linkin Park etc)....and I am fed up with that shit.....to all Fred Dursts clones I say 'learn to swim'

spiral out....
I don't think anyone has raved over Limp here. Showing sympathy does not equate raving. And, the sympathy, if that's what you choose to call it, is only there to pretty much defend Fred's right to make the music he wants. Or butcher the music he didn't make. The problem is in the fact that Durst sucks dick, and he has no idea what music is about. It's not about money, it's about the message and the acoustic value, and Durst has neither of these. I've listened to "Youth of the Nation" by POD (if you're stuck with only radio, than you've probably listened to it more than is healthy), and that song has something worth listening to. My brother is a huge jusus fan, and the house is filled with really christian mindless shit (read: praise songs... shoot me now). but at least that particular song is defensible. I hate it when people generalize bands and don't take each song as a separate work of art, which it is. Just because most of POD's stuff is cheese doesn't mean one can't glean something useful out of it.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:20 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27
I hated when Limp bizket did Opiate...but I really like StainD's cover of Sober.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125
Quote:
Originally posted by 48&2

....oh yeah speaking of POD did you all hear what one of the 'band' members said about Maynard??....Im not going to write exactly what he said but basically he said that MJK makes money out of 'dissing' jesus.....I think hes an idiot and he has missed the point completely.....

spiral out....
I don't recall Tool ever saying that it's hate that drives humanity. Maybe you missed the message.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:03 PM   #28
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
I'm downloading it right now, just to see how it sounds.

Fred Dursts voice sucks bad.. jeez.. he's the worst singer, if you call that singing.

His tone hardly changes during Opiate, he does nothing with it! Does he say "my Gods will, pits burns!"??? He can't do "we both want to rape you" at all! I won't even start on "Jesus Christ why don't you come save my life now?"

It's horrible, but download it if you want to see how bad they did with it heh.

Hmm.. at the end of my MP3.. it sounds like they're starting Stinkfist.. I mean.. the little static guitar thingy.. anyone know about this?

Last edited by Penguin; 12-09-2002 at 05:10 PM..
Old 12-09-2002, 05:55 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

haha, limp bizkit=staind=shit music. and they only good tool cover i have heard is my friends band (which i am not a part of for i have no musical talent, yet i find the time to make fun of those who do, sorta. does that make me a "tool") they do stinkfist, eulogy (i sang once), lateralus and part of the patient, as soon as they get it recorded i want to put it on kazaa or some shit, you should all check it out
Old 12-09-2002, 09:35 PM   #30
meh
Level 2 - Poster

A band I don't necessarily care for...

In the many band interviews I have heard, lots of bands praise tool for inspiring them, L.B. being one of these bands. My thoughts on this issue are A) ya, I don't like L.B. by any means, but I have to hand it to them if they are into tool, because I certainly am as well, B) covering a tool song sounds like a whole hell of a lot of fun to me, not to say that I would be excellent at it, or that I would publicize it, but man, I would have a really good time playing their music, C) maybe they "ruined" the song for most; my suggestion to those most emotionally scared by it is to simply try to block it out and forget, and D) I cannot imagine what they sounded like singing Opiate...but kudos to them anyway.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:04 PM   #31
Mr. 200,000

Bincount™: 3568
Quote:
Originally posted by Peon

I don't recall Tool ever saying that it's hate that drives humanity. Maybe you missed the message.
First of all this is my opinion NOT TOOL.
Second...I dont recall having said anything about hate in my message 'it's hate that drives humanity'??...remember stupid quotes lead to mindless cliches....

spiral out...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:21 PM   #32
X

Bincount™: 746
check it

In the new section, socialize, look at the thread i started entitled "something wrong" It goes further in depth about the covers of Tool songs by Staind and Limp Bizkit. I have recieved some good replies there. Some have been not what i expected and i think that although the cover of Opiate by Bizkit sucks, we should listen to the opinions that have been expressed. I have been thinking about it, and I think that i can accept the Opiate cover. Its pretty shitty and i dont have an ounce of respect for Durst, but its good to see how other people can experiment with others ideas. Isnt that what we are all doing in this opinion forum anyway?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:51 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Fred Durst Quotes

"There's a handful of bands in this genre that are really fuckin' good. I feel like we're one of them."

"Some band can make something that's so heavy or so melodic and I might come in to bust a rhyme over it, and they're like, "Holy shit, we didn't expect you to do that." Just whenever it's felt, you know what I mean? "

"It's really got a Tool-ish vibe meets Jane's Addiction, you know what I mean? It's really fucking incredible, with a drum solo in the middle of the song, an intense drum solo, but there's a riff going through it. It's crazy. It doesn't sound like anything else. "

"He's [Kid Rock] just a cool guy. He's an old-schooler like me, grew up in hip-hop, and he can flow pretty good when he's just having fun rhymin'. We can just put on beats and write stuff instantly and swing back and forth. It's just a cool chemistry. He's got a cool voice, too. "

Hehehehe... poor guy. What a peice of shit. I love where he describes his songs as having "Tool-ish" vibes, he wishes. I agree with you guys on everyone has they're own right to express themselves in their own way, that's what life is all about. But... with that right comes to responsibility of making fun of the things that suck.

PS - Just to give maybe a little bit of reason to not pull out a shot gun and SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE... here's one last quote he told MTV about TooL

"I can’t even be in a category with that band"

He got something right for once!
Old 12-13-2002, 05:22 PM   #34

I just hate it when whiny white guys from Florida say "bust a rhyme."
Old 12-15-2002, 05:54 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Where can I find it?

And no, I don't have Kazaa and cannot get it on this computer for awhile. I've looked around for it, but can't find it... can anyone help me? Or email it me? That would be so awesome. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:15 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

irony

I didnt read all posts on this thread so I'm not sure if this has been noted.. but does anyone find it ironic, the obvious meaning of opiate and its ranting on religeon being shoved down our throats.. and fred durst im sure has a song where he is preaching his religeon.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:20 AM   #37
Banned.

Bincount™: 8
freddie d.

i remember hearing fred say that he was a christian and i can't help but think that he covered the song thinking that the lyrics were serious not sarcastic
Old 12-30-2002, 12:14 AM   #38
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716
I just downloaded it, and I think I can safely say that it is the worst cover I have ever heard.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:34 PM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

oh man...... listening to limp bizkit trying to play opiate brought tears of sadness to my eyes :(
Old 01-22-2003, 12:54 PM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The Limp Bizkit cover is horrendous. It's almost as bad as that one Avril Lavigne cover of Chop Suey! I happened upon oneday.

But hey...at least the Staind cover of Sober is halfway decent...too bad Aaron's voice doesn't have much range or expression.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: