opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10
Alex Grey

I have been a fan of alex grey way before tool sought him out to do the cover of lateralus (not to mention the ending to the parabola video, the two backdrops behind them on their latest tour, and the sacred mirrors tapestry's they let slide down in reflection) and have greatly enjoyed the positive vibe tool emits with the use of his work.

( if you would like to view his paintings of the two backdrops follow these links:
InterBeing (bg1) : http://alexgrey.com/7-21-02/i-being-lg.jpg
Collective Vision (bg2) : http://alexgrey.com/7-21-02/collvisn.jpg )

In his work, alex grey deals with the metaphysical side of humans, our aura, and how we are all connected spiritually as a species. Lateralus seems to etch upon the same concepts as alex grey's painting do. This is almost strikingly put forth in 'refection'.

"and you will come to find that we are all one mind"

Voicing this combined attack (along with the artwork) brings us one step closer (albiet still far away) to a wonderful goal: advancing the human spirit and species to the next metaphysical plane. Once we can all think alike and not result to violence, we can truly be "capable of all that's imagined and all concievable".

Tool and alex grey have made a tremendous impact on my life, and they have also lifted a huge burden off of my heart: I now know others view life in my respect and that I am not alone in my spirtuality and thinking.

I was curious as to you other tool fans respect and thoughts on alex grey. What has he contributed to your life, and how has his assoiciation to tool helped or benefited your life? What does the message of lateralus and his work envoke in your mind?

(if you haven't seen alex grey's work please check out his web site: http://www.alexgrey.com , or take a look at his books; The Sacred Mirrors, The Mission of Art, and Transfigurations.)

I would love to hear your responses! Thanks for giving me your time...

Remember to smile, stay positive, and be creative.

-Bryan Meason
Old 11-26-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Alex Grey

Hey man. Ever since I saw the artwork on lateralus I started getting more interested in Grey's work. It is all truly extraordinary. I think it is nothing short of just plain amazing. When I saw the backdrops and Mirrors that TOOL had at their shows my jaw dropped to the ground. His work on Parabola is fucking divine. A friend of mine ordered Transfigurations and I can't wait to see it. I really really really want to buy a print of Collective Vision. It is my favorite work of his. Unfortunately, I can't afford it. :( Do you know of any way I can get a higher resolution copy of it online??? That would be the next best thing. Thanks man.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Um, well, I have no idea

I am glad to see another who loves Alex Grey's work. I think it was great for tool to use him for art, so he could get some wonderful exposure.

As for a way to get a copy of Collective Vision is Hi-Res and not pay $350. I have no idea. The closet you can get is a "smiliar" piece in Transfigurations that uses the same scale of eyes in a spirial but uses an orange color scheme. Take your friends book down to kinkos and have them scan it and blow it up to a big poster print. Will cost about $7. That's the best I can do... or pay #350 and it will be signed by alex grey... but hurry that print is limited to only 50 copies :(

http://www.alexgrey.com/posters.html (to buy Collective Vision and other paintings/prints - note: collective vision is a high quality ink reproduction and costs $350 for that reason, most of his posters are only $25)

Remember to smile, stay positive, and be creative.

-Bryan Meason
Old 11-27-2002, 08:15 AM   #4
(-)
Level 3 - Talker

Alex Grey

I purchased a copy of Alex Grey's book "Sacred Mirrors" a time ago and I fell in love with his work ever since. My friend has bought "Transfigurations" for me, but he won't give it to me until Christmas, so I am pining for it. My favorite Grey piece is Theologue.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Alex Grey

I owned a copy of Sacred Mirrors for about a year before Lateralus was released. A friend's father turned me onto his work and it is definitely nothing short of breathtaking.
I eventually passed Sacred Mirrors onto a friend of mine who has an extremely deep respect for both Alex Grey and Tool, and I knew that was where the book belonged. Today is that friends Birthday and I bought him a copy of "Transfigurations" and I must say, I didn't think I could be more impressed than I was with Sacred Mirrors, but I was wrong. Transfigurations is unbelievable. My favorite is the one of the Marijuana lady, it was a poster for a Cannibus Cup some years back that Alex and his wife were asked to be judges for. It also shows pictures of Alex's wife dressed up as the Marujuana Lady.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:00 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yes the "Cannibus Queen", great idea and great transformation into real life. I love how He also uses "statement" art to portray his theories and ideas in the real life. What an amazing artist and theorist.

-Bryan Meason
Old 11-28-2002, 02:32 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

his art blows me away....

it's so vivid and detailed...i rejoice as an artist
Old 11-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

my favourite from the homepage is oversoul... maybe just because i love eyes this much.

but now i saw that there seem to be something like galaxies too. wow!

using only yellow and blue colors works really excellent here
Old 11-29-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Amazing, Isn't it?

If you look closely to Alex Grey's work you can often see small a precise details of amazing things. He has an uncanny way to hide little things in all of his paintings. If you look past the "big picture" and focus on small parts of it, it will usually tell the story behind the big picture.

I can not praise this art enough. He needs to be recognized, somehow....

(although tool has given him a foot in the right direction, even though half of the tool fans out there won't even realize who he is or where to find his work.)

Remember to smile, Stay positive, and be creative!

-Bryan Meason
Old 12-01-2002, 08:31 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

i am a fan of alex grey as well. although i haven't gotten into his work until after i went to my first TOOL concert back in august, it has changed my life and my way of thinking. he has truly fulfilled his job as an artist by touching so many people's lives. i will have the privilege to see him in New York on the 20th. he will be giving guided tours of his sacred mirrors which are on desplay at the Tibet House. he will be doing a signing afterwards. anyone else going to see him or his art work? go to tibethouse.org for more information.

it is degrating to think that a lot of TOOL fans will not have these same experiences while viewing Alex Grey's art work. it dissapoints me. how can someone be a TOOL fan and not be touched by their message, or Alex Grey's message, which is so similair to what TOOL speaks for? i just finished Transfigurations last night, and i was dissapointed it was over. i am embarrassed by his dedication to his work, and also influenced. his message is so beautiful, i wish we could all as a culture, as a world, embrace his message and art work, but unfortunatly that seems so far fetched.

i am glad other people are touched and influenced by Alex Grey's art work. i hope to get more of my friends familiar with Grey's work, but some seem so closed minded. the best thing for us to do is to get Grey's message out there, by passing his books and paintings around.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: