opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow
User Name
Password
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10
Welcome to the Backworlds.

I wasnt really a fan of pauls playing but he did make undertow and opiate with Tool. I was doing some surfing on what humans call the internet and i came across something...I dont know if this has been discussed before, IM sure it has, but How the hell can paul go from playing with Tool making two awesome albums to making this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=TzWuW6ESeXQ I was actually quite shocked...like damn. He left Tool because he had a desire for something more experimental? This is fuckin crap. please discuss.

Im sorry if i hurt anyones feelings about this song or if I wasted your time to read this "worthless" thread...I just wanna make conversation with you wonderful people. Have a good day.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
well if I know Dracula, he loves SLUTS

Bincount™: 7555
Re: Welcome to the Backworlds.

this thread took off
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

my dear friend, people do talk about it, check this out:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=69997

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48273

Ive already said that before, and many people will agree on that:

a. Paul must have left Tool due to some kind of misunderstanding with (most possible) Maynard, and not becos Paul wanted to play experimantal music -> its such a funny and stupid excuse! just because Tool themselves ARE experimental and have AAAALWAYS BEEN experimental. unless what maynard meant by 'experimental' accusing paul, was that paul wanted Tool to become an abstract experimental IDM band like Boards of Canada or AFX or Amon Tobin!!!!! for Gods sake, couldnt they have found a more reasonable excuse???????

b. We all love Justin cos he is awesome indeed and we are huge fans of his playing. BUTTTTT Tool became Tool thanx to Carey, Jones, Maynard and Paul. Paul has written (with the rest of guys of course) Opiate, Undertow (my god, what an album!!!!!) and almost ALL OF Aenima as well, as unbelievable as it sounds!!!!!

c. Sober (at least half of it) was written by maynard, even though it used to sound totally different. Despite that im more than sure that the amazing bassline to sober was written by nobody else than PAUL himself!!!

d. Watching Paul play live gives me the shivers!!! he was so into it, watching him move on stage and play really drags u into his playing. he was awesome.....

So, stop being naive people, and like Tool themselves say:

THINK FOR URSELF, QUESTION AUTHORITY.............
Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

The Lusk album is pretty fucking good, IMO.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_milkman View Post
this thread took off
yeah...thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess you didnt have any.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
a) Tool experimental? Ask Misanthrope..... lolz
b) Justin > Paul easily
c) That's why Sober is one of the least songs on Undertow.....
d) Never seen him

He left because he didn't like the direction.

a. My friend, if you cnt find anything experimental in Tool's music then you probably dont know the meaning of experimental??? Try listening to Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (THE MASTERS OF EXPERIMENTAL), maybe then ull get a clue!!! and if not then i suggest you keep your opinion to yourself, in order not to embarrass yourself in front of all these people who read these threads everyday with your lack of musical understanding.

b. Justin is a huge bass player, i guess noone could have replaced Paul better than him. But easily???? Is there anything easy in this life at all? especially replacing one of Tool? If you really think Paul was a shitty thing for Tool then take your Aenima CD (if you have it of course) and throw it in the garbage, cos you know buddy, most of it was written by who else? But Paul of course...No more Stinkfist, no more Pushit, no more Eulogy!!!!!, no more Aenima, no more, no more no more......hhmmmm, sucks, ah??

c. Sober one of the least songs on Undertow??????? For God's sake, stop revealing and embarrassing yourself man, cos you have definitely STEPPED OUT OF LINE this time!!!!

d. The Direction was already taken from the very begining of Tool, if Paul didnt know this direction he would not have joined the band at all, if you cnt see this either than how can you consider yourself a fan of Tool if you dnt understand their music? and even judge the man (who you havent even seen even in one single show) and make such conclusions so EASILY??? In my opinion what you intend here is a total lack of respect!!!!!

Last edited by Trelectron; 10-11-2007 at 12:54 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

My dear friend, i dont mean to argue with you, but what do u want me to do? enlighten you by mentioning all the songs where Tool play experimental music starting from Opiate and ending with 10,000 days? or watch all their live shows and give you the exact times where they start to play experimental shit???? its so obvious u havent seen Tool live, especially the older performances, u will just get disappointed with yourself and your points of view considering this issue. i never said Tool were an experimental band, try to listen to what people tell u next time. what i said was that they have always played EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC! and where the fk did u learn that 'progressive' word for tool? they used to call Paradise Lost as a progressive metal band as well, so where is Tool and where is Paradise Lost??? secondly, why not use the word 'alternative metal' instead? or you just go with the trend and say what others say? stick to your own opinion buddy, Tool is not for trends. THINK FOR URSELF....QUESTION AUTHORITY....
Tool were born out of Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, who (BY CHANCE???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????)
played ALOTTTTTTT of experimental music. if you dont want to believe me try asking other people!!! and what, by that they suddenly became experimental bands????? you r just confused my friend, no hard feelings.

WHO DSNT EVEN LIKE SOBER RAISE UR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------->>>>>>>>

----------->>>>>>>> To enlighten you some more, try to find ( you sound such a huge fan of Tool, im sure you wont have trouble finding it) a vid of Tool Live in England, Shepherds Bush 1994. Guess who replaces Paul for one song on bass, and which song is that!!!!!!!!!

--------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WHO THINKS SOBER IS A LESSER SONG AND DSNT EVEN LIKE IT RAISE UR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------->>>>>> JUSTIN CHANCELLOR RAISES HIS HANDS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelectron View Post

c. Sober one of the least songs on Undertow??????? For God's sake, stop revealing and embarrassing yourself man, cos you have definitely STEPPED OUT OF LINE this time!!!!

ha dude sober is probably the worst track on Undertow. They're all great, but sober just isn't as great as the rest. Maybe it's cause it's overplayed- I mean the first word out of someone's mouth when you say Tool is Sober. I thought it was the coolest thing when I heard it on the radio, but after you listen to the rest of the album you can move on from sober.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelectron View Post
----------->>>>>>>> To enlighten you some more, try to find ( you sound such a huge fan of Tool, im sure you wont have trouble finding it) a vid of Tool Live in England, Shepherds Bush 1994. Guess who replaces Paul for one song on bass, and which song is that!!!!!!!!!

--------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Enlighten Me with this Video. Im slow. I Cant find it.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
Enlighten Me with this Video. Im slow. I Cant find it.
Peach opened for Tool that night. Justin played bass on Sober while Paul took a break.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Firstly guys, if somebody thinks here that all this talk is being done just to prove who is a smartass and who is not you r wrong and you know it. This is not a kindergarden. we r just making a conversation and any kind of conversation should end up with the truth. When something is overplayed, not only u just dnt feel like listening to it anymore but it makes you sick as well. My friend Aenima7988 has a point here. Thats what happened with me and korn to be honest, their first album was like nothing else on earth and people didnt know em much then, i used to listen to it aaaaall day long. now every kid has the word KORN on his tshirt, and whats worse, the music is unlistenable, the sound has lost its original and unique feeling, sorry but it puts me off. a real band when reaches a point where they feel their music is not as it used to be and has lost the magic, they just split. to be there just to make money, i dnt know....
Secondly, as i said before in other threads, for me Undertow was discovered recently and Tool has been my favourite band for 10 years now!! Aenima is my favourite album of all times and Justins playing on Aenima is just astonishing! But it dsnt mean we have to cut off all the rest, its just aint right people, neither for us, nor for Paul himself.
Go to youtube and find the Sober from the Reading festival 1993 (Try lookin up the whole show in the torrents) . Look at Maynard, what he feels while singing to it, seems like warms are coming out of his head!!!!!
Learn to use torrents people, somebody who genuinely wants something they just get it. I repeat, whoever says SOBER is a lesser song find the Shepherds Bush performance in 1994 and look who is playing it on bass!!!! makes me wonder, did he choose to play this song because its the worst song on Undertow,or maybe......the best??????????????? Open your minds people.......
Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
Peach opened for Tool that night. Justin played bass on Sober while Paul took a break.
Very kool. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Have you been on any concert with Paul on bass???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3FTiWRXF8
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

The same stands for me as well, ive been a fan since 96, didnt even know there was someone else before Justin. then when i saw the 'Hush", i thought so myself at first, that he didnt fit with them at all. i repeat, im a big fan of Justin, have always been. but after watching all the existing shows by Tool until Paul left, that is: (if there r more out there please let us know somebody)

05-02-1992 JC Dobbs Club, Philadelphia, PA, US
05-03-1992 The Limelight, New York City, NY
06-23-1992 The Mason Jar, Phoenix, AZ

08-27-1993 Reading Festival, Reading, England

07-21-1994 Shepherd's Bush, London
11-14-1994 Santa Cruz, Civic Center, CA

03-03-1995 San Bernadino, CA

im moooooooooore than sure that Paul was THE man!!! being a bass player myself and at the same time being a huuuuge fan of Justin, there is no doubt that id defenitely prefer Paul had stayed with Tool. he was one of them, thanx to him we got the amazing Undertow and the main tracks from astonishing Aenima. after that the situation is clear, he was awesome by AAAAALLLLL MEANS.......

Last edited by Trelectron; 10-19-2007 at 01:02 AM..
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
And I just don't like Sober. Gimme Flood or Swamp Song anytime.
I know sober is played out but it was the first song I heard from Tool...it has a sweetspot in my heart. Flood is awesome too but I fuckin Love swamp song. That song gets me groovin.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

The Lusk album isn't bad at all. It's not TOOL, naturally, but it has a certain quality to its sound. Even though I liked it okay, I couldn't help but think maybe it didn't sound too much different from some of the stuff Radiohead and Garbage were putting out at that time. That doesn't mean it's not good, it just doesn't seem as original as TOOL's music sounds.

Yes, Paul was a huge part of TOOL's writing and helped craft some of TOOL's best work. Likewise, Justin was involved in the "masterpiece" that is Lateralus as well as 10,000 Days. I've never seen TOOL live when Paul was a member of the band. I have seen them with Justin, however, and can tell you he flat out owns that stage. While Maynard hides in the back and Adam doesn't even try to hide his boredom, Justin wails and brings life to the stage. I wouldn't have any other bass player in the greatest band of all time.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
The Lusk album isn't bad at all. It's not TOOL, naturally, but it has a certain quality to its sound. Even though I liked it okay, I couldn't help but think maybe it didn't sound too much different from some of the stuff Radiohead and Garbage were putting out at that time. That doesn't mean it's not good, it just doesn't seem as original as TOOL's music sounds.

Yes, Paul was a huge part of TOOL's writing and helped craft some of TOOL's best work. Likewise, Justin was involved in the "masterpiece" that is Lateralus as well as 10,000 Days. I've never seen TOOL live when Paul was a member of the band. I have seen them with Justin, however, and can tell you he flat out owns that stage. While Maynard hides in the back and Adam doesn't even try to hide his boredom, Justin wails and brings life to the stage. I wouldn't have any other bass player in the greatest band of all time.
Hell yeah, Justin owns the stage. That man is always flipping his hair back every ten seconds and fuckin his bass in front of everyone. What a perv, ha. Justins Sick. Paul wrote awesome music on the parts he did but overall, Justin Hands down. He just has that Tool touch and look I guess.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

justin rules indeed, the most active and vivid Tool member nowdays. i could not take my eyes off of justin myself when i saw them live both of the times. im not gonna repeat myself, since ive already said what i had to say about this issue. but consider this, u dont leave a band, go make another band and play music u used to play in your previous band, for obvious reasons. so there is no point comparing Tool to Lusk. Justin was a perfect match for Tool, no doubt about that. but Paul was Paul, no doubt about that too....
Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

I will agree that sober is the lesser song on Undertow BUT if i am correct i think Sober was Tool's first hit. Not to mention my first Tool drum beat learned. AND for Paul writing all of AEnima.. you may be correct Trelectron for Pushit and some others but songs like 46n2 sound like Justin's style all the way. i may be wrong.. but hey thats my opinion :) yell at me if you wish.. i can take it.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

no reason for that buddy :) im not one of those fanatic fans who "demand" to be right. After all, Tool might be my favourite band but my musical tastes expand from street jazz to dub and breakbeats or IDM. i always judge situations and look at things from all possible angles in order to get the right opinion. I have read Justins early interviews talking about him and Paul, and he actually admits being deeply inspired by Pauls playing and adopting his sound, which is absolutely true of course. IT NEEDS BIG BALLS TO BE THAT HONEST and from that moment my respect for this man got bigger. Of course after joining the band Justin built up his own thing (THE POT!!!!!!!!WOW), but all that based on Pauls bass feel, he kinda continued things from where thay stopped, instead of changing the path. thats whats great about this man apart from being a great musician, his musical honesty, this also shows the quailty of a man as a person. cos the path was already laid, and Justin knew and understood that. Tool are where they are now thanx to UNDERTOW, and there would be no Undertow without Paul. like u and i would not be without our dad or mom

Last edited by Trelectron; 11-13-2007 at 07:21 AM..
Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

This thread delivers.
Pure Comedy.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

lucky man, such a sensetive sense of humor u have
Old 11-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

paul wrote some badass basslines. justin has good ones but they dont stand out in my mind as much. 10,000 days has some really good ones lateralus has some good ones. pauls rock a lot harder sometimes and his are a lot more invigorating justins are really smooth laid back most of the time theyre not complex enough to be badass most of the time he just uses a lot of delays. i like them both no disrespect but i think it goes to paul for having more outstanding basslines than justin. thats basing it off my interpretation of basslines being good though maybe your interpretation is different. if yallllls wanna arguuue bout it thats fine but im not really up for it. one mans garbage is another mans treasure. yeah... but let me know some songs you think have unreal basslines by justin and just MAYBE ill reconsider. jk

Last edited by useyourtool; 11-23-2007 at 04:33 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 958

sober is definitely overplayed. but i still thinks it kicks ass. (and none of you will change my mind so don't try.) and it was my first tool song too. and seriously, that vid was LAME.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

I think.. and this is extremely rare.. that the direction Tool wanted to go in at the time, was most familiar to.. yeah... the new guy. This is insanity, and is almost like a fluke. Tool has covered a lot of ground. Justin wouldn't fit their old ground, and paul wouldnt fit their new ground. They almost needed justin to evolve it seems. How you find the piece to your puzzle like that, I don't know, ask adam danny and maynard.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: