Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 01:01 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Dec 01 Victoria Save On Foods Memorial Center

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
mattagous
11-30-2007, 01:37 PM

the kelowna show was awsome , trans-am was the worst band ever , wish they would have played pushit , sold out crowd looked sweet , the lasers and light kicked ass ,
Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 01 Victoria Save On Foods Memorial Center

the kelowna show was awsome , trans-am was the worst band ever , wish they would have played pushit , sold out crowd looked sweet , the lasers and light kicked ass ,
OFFLINE |  
Youth
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Same set list as all the others

My first tool concert, and hopefully not my last

I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I had to go by myself. Thankfully some guy sold me his ticket (scalper's price of $100) and it was an absolutely fantastic seat. In hindsight, I would have paid double for that seat.

One thing I loved about the performance is that it re-enforced why I like some songs, but made me realize how absolutely awesome some others are that I didn't give enough credit to. Especially Lateralus.

A truly memorable night for me.

Only flaw was that I wish MJK sang the "Viiiiicaaariooouslllly IIIIIIIIIIIIII" part in Vicarious. Leaning the mic towards the crowd, where most of them just scream as loud as they can (not the words, just scream). Other than that, I couldn't and won't complain
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Same set list as all the others

My first tool concert, and hopefully not my last

I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I had to go by myself. Thankfully some guy sold me his ticket (scalper's price of $100) and it was an absolutely fantastic seat. In hindsight, I would have paid double for that seat.

One thing I loved about the performance is that it re-enforced why I like some songs, but made me realize how absolutely awesome some others are that I didn't give enough credit to. Especially Lateralus.

A truly memorable night for me.

Only flaw was that I wish MJK sang the "Viiiiicaaariooouslllly IIIIIIIIIIIIII" part in Vicarious. Leaning the mic towards the crowd, where most of them just scream as loud as they can (not the words, just scream). Other than that, I couldn't and won't complain
OFFLINE |  
Youth
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Oh, and I liked Trans Am. One or two songs weren't great, but a couple of them I thought were very entertaining
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Oh, and I liked Trans Am. One or two songs weren't great, but a couple of them I thought were very entertaining
OFFLINE |  
SEE U AUNTIE
12-02-2007, 02:12 AM

JAMBI
STINKFIST
46&2
SCHISM
ROSETTA STONED
FLOOD!!!!!!!
WINGS/10000 DAYS
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS

NO CHANGES TO SET LIST , SAME AS.... GREAT SHOW !!! FLOOD WAS PARALIZING!!! OOOOOO SOOO GOOD!!!! STILL DROOLING!!!!!

Last edited by SEE U AUNTIE; 12-02-2007 at 02:18 AM..
Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

JAMBI
STINKFIST
46&2
SCHISM
ROSETTA STONED
FLOOD!!!!!!!
WINGS/10000 DAYS
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS

NO CHANGES TO SET LIST , SAME AS.... GREAT SHOW !!! FLOOD WAS PARALIZING!!! OOOOOO SOOO GOOD!!!! STILL DROOLING!!!!!

Last edited by SEE U AUNTIE; 12-02-2007 at 02:18 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Deftool
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Second Tool show, saw them in Vancouver last year. Very Impressed with the new lights and lazers, added a ton of ambience to all the songs. Adam and Justin were definitely on and Danny was a monster as usual, the drum off with Sebastien from Trans am in the middle of Lateralus was incredible. Not so impressed with Maynards singing, he seemed short of breath at times and didn't hold some notes as long as usual. I was disappointed to not get 10k days, but I assumed it was because of those idiots moshing and breaking chairs a couple rows from the stage.

Some maynardisms:

"I want you to put your arms straight up in the air like this, bring them straight out to the side, now reach down, grab your buttocks and hold on, cause it's going to be a long ride."
"Don't kill eachother, it's just rock songs"
"We love you, please don't kill eachother... We love you."
"Take care of eachother when you're leaving tonight."
Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Second Tool show, saw them in Vancouver last year. Very Impressed with the new lights and lazers, added a ton of ambience to all the songs. Adam and Justin were definitely on and Danny was a monster as usual, the drum off with Sebastien from Trans am in the middle of Lateralus was incredible. Not so impressed with Maynards singing, he seemed short of breath at times and didn't hold some notes as long as usual. I was disappointed to not get 10k days, but I assumed it was because of those idiots moshing and breaking chairs a couple rows from the stage.

Some maynardisms:

"I want you to put your arms straight up in the air like this, bring them straight out to the side, now reach down, grab your buttocks and hold on, cause it's going to be a long ride."
OFFLINE |  
maris
12-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftool View Post
Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Some maynardisms:

You obviously were not at the Victoria show.There was no fighting or breaking of chairs. And they did indeed play 10000 days Amazing show. My 5th. Can,t wait till they tour again.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Some maynardisms:

You obviously were not at the Victoria show.There was no fighting or breaking of chairs. And they did indeed play 10000 days Amazing show. My 5th. Can,t wait till they tour again.
OFFLINE |  
UKASE
12-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Wow, what can I say...it was everything I imagined it could be, and more. I've waited a decade to see this band, my favorite band, and they blew me away.

After reading the reviews from the other venues on this tour, I was really worried about the sound quality and mixing, but it wasn't too shabby. Maynard's voice could have been a bit louder, but I could definitely hear most of the lyrics.

The lights and lasers were out of this world.

I was surprised at how well behaved the crowd was. After hearing the Kelowna horror stories, I thought for sure we'd have more of the same in Victoria, but I was wrong. The crowd seemed generally peaceful and respectful of the band.

My only hangup was the crowd-control guys, I guess the arena staff. I had an aisle seat and staff kept pacing back and forth beside me looking for people smoking pot and busting their balls. It really pissed me off. Why the hell would they even bother in a town like Victoria? Out of the 7,000 people there, I bet close to 6,000 smoke weed. It just seemed pointless, like a game of Whack-a-Mole, and it severely impacted my enjoyment of the show having some douche pass by me every 2 minutes.

Anyway, TOOL was outstanding. To have seen Danny Cary live means I can finally die a happy man. He's more than a legend.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow, what can I say...it was everything I imagined it could be, and more. I've waited a decade to see this band, my favorite band, and they blew me away.

After reading the reviews from the other venues on this tour, I was really worried about the sound quality and mixing, but it wasn't too shabby. Maynard's voice could have been a bit louder, but I could definitely hear most of the lyrics.

The lights and lasers were out of this world.

I was surprised at how well behaved the crowd was. After hearing the Kelowna horror stories, I thought for sure we'd have more of the same in Victoria, but I was wrong. The crowd seemed generally peaceful and respectful of the band.

My only hangup was the crowd-control guys, I guess the arena staff. I had an aisle seat and staff kept pacing back and forth beside me looking for people smoking pot and busting their balls. It really pissed me off. Why the hell would they even bother in a town like Victoria? Out of the 7,000 people there, I bet close to 6,000 smoke weed. It just seemed pointless, like a game of Whack-a-Mole, and it severely impacted my enjoyment of the show having some douche pass by me every 2 minutes.

Anyway, TOOL was outstanding. To have seen Danny Cary live means I can finally die a happy man. He's more than a legend.
OFFLINE |  
UKASE
12-02-2007, 02:52 PM

Some of the things I hazily remember Maynard saying were:

"Hello Canadians! Congratulations on your dollar."

"Ladies and gentlemen: Sebastian from Trans Am"

"Congratulations on your new job Sebastian."

And he said a bunch more stuff right before the end of the show but I can't remember it, other than "Peace Out" and "We hope to be back real soon" in a robotic voice.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Some of the things I hazily remember Maynard saying were:

"Hello Canadians! Congratulations on your dollar."

"Ladies and gentlemen: Sebastian from Trans Am"

"Congratulations on your new job Sebastian."

And he said a bunch more stuff right before the end of the show but I can't remember it, other than "Peace Out" and "We hope to be back real soon" in a robotic voice.
OFFLINE |  
unifiedtheory's Avatar unifiedtheory
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM

My 7th and I'm going to my 8th on Tuesday. Not the best TOOL gig I've seen but it was an excellent show none the less.

The sound was quite good, perfect volume IMO, the mix was good although MJK was a little quiet. I think they are toning him down a little because of all the shows they are doing in a short period of time. I don't care who the singer is, if you are giving it all you have 11 times in 18 days you are going to get weak (and it shows with the Missoula show being postponed).

I do have a MAJOR complaint though, that I have already forwarded to the Save on Foods Center. The venue was cool and clean BUT the service was TERRIBLE! I got to the show at 7:00 and did not get in the building until 8:00. Then the merch lineup was a horror show, took me almost 45 minutes to get a poster. While I was waiting in the merch lineup my girl got in the beer lineup, she was still standing there when I got there. It took almost an hour in total to get to the front of the beer lineup, only to be limited to 1. I finally got my beer, got to my seat (row 30 on the floor) and the show started about 3 minutes later.

It should not take 2 hours to go from the front door, get a poster and grab 1 beer. Save on Foods Center was totally unprepared. The kids they had working at the consessions were out of their element and they were badly understaffed. It did not help that they were "carding" EVERYONE, no matter what they looked like. One friend I was there with is 37, full beard, 6'3" and 260 LBS and had to produce a birth certificate and a picture ID, ridiculous.

I know they have to limit beer sales because of the "idiot" element. That said, the REASON the beer lineup was so long is because you can only buy 1. You have people buying a beer and then going to the back of the line to wait for another, you let that person buy 2 it would decrease the line up.

Everett is next for me (hopefully it won't be postponed).
Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

My 7th and I'm going to my 8th on Tuesday. Not the best TOOL gig I've seen but it was an excellent show none the less.

The sound was quite good, perfect volume IMO, the mix was good although MJK was a little quiet. I think they are toning him down a little because of all the shows they are doing in a short period of time. I don't care who the singer is, if you are giving it all you have 11 times in 18 days you are going to get weak (and it shows with the Missoula show being postponed).

I do have a MAJOR complaint though, that I have already forwarded to the Save on Foods Center. The venue was cool and clean BUT the service was TERRIBLE! I got to the show at 7:00 and did not get in the building until 8:00. Then the merch lineup was a horror show, took me almost 45 minutes to get a poster. While I was waiting in the merch lineup my girl got in the beer lineup, she was still standing there when I got there. It took almost an hour in total to get to the front of the beer lineup, only to be limited to 1. I finally got my beer, got to my seat (row 30 on the floor) and the show started about 3 minutes later.

It should not take 2 hours to go from the front door, get a poster and grab 1 beer. Save on Foods Center was totally unprepared. The kids they had working at the consessions were out of their element and they were badly understaffed. It did not help that they were "carding" EVERYONE, no matter what they looked like. One friend I was there with is 37, full beard, 6'3" and 260 LBS and had to produce a birth certificate and a picture ID, ridiculous.

I know they have to limit beer sales because of the "idiot" element. That said, the REASON the beer lineup was so long is because you can only buy 1. You have people buying a beer and then going to the back of the line to wait for another, you let that person buy 2 it would decrease the line up.

Everett is next for me (hopefully it won't be postponed).
OFFLINE |  
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKASE View Post

I was also on an aisle and had the same issue. I had one leg in the aisle and the rent a cop must have walked up to me 5 times to tell me to move over. I was maybe 6 inches in the aisle and he kept it up. I finally told him to "f**k off" and he basically left me alone at that point.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKASE View Post

I was also on an aisle and had the same issue. I had one leg in the aisle and the rent a cop must have walked up to me 5 times to tell me to move over. I was maybe 6 inches in the aisle and he kept it up. I finally told him to "f**k off" and he basically left me alone at that point.
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM

mondays show on 12/3.2007 postponed Regrettably, MONDAY'S SHOW IN MISSOULA, MONTANA has been POSTPONED due to illness. Maynard has a viral infection in his throat and has been instructed by his doctor to get some rest. posts at other sites are saying the 3rd, 4th & 5th are cancelled or postponed http://www.toolshed.it/frameset.html

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 12-02-2007 at 04:23 PM..
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

mondays show on 12/3.2007 postponed Regrettably, MONDAY'S SHOW IN MISSOULA, MONTANA has been POSTPONED due to illness. Maynard has a viral infection in his throat and has been instructed by his doctor to get some rest. posts at other sites are saying the 3rd, 4th & 5th are cancelled or postponed http://www.toolshed.it/frameset.html

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 12-02-2007 at 04:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
12-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I was disappointed to not get 10k days, but I assumed it was because of those idiots moshing and breaking chairs a couple rows from the stage.
What? Not getting 10K days is news to me, I heard it, hell, it was the song I was waiting for the whole night, even though "Jambi" and "46&2" were the highlights for me.

I have seen a few people from other shows say the shows made them "love 46&2 again"....I totally agree. It is one of those songs I've seen too many times live and would have liked to have seen removed from the setlist but now I'm in love with the song again.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I was disappointed to not get 10k days, but I assumed it was because of those idiots moshing and breaking chairs a couple rows from the stage.
What? Not getting 10K days is news to me, I heard it, hell, it was the song I was waiting for the whole night, even though "Jambi" and "46&2" were the highlights for me.

I have seen a few people from other shows say the shows made them "love 46&2 again"....I totally agree. It is one of those songs I've seen too many times live and would have liked to have seen removed from the setlist but now I'm in love with the song again.
OFFLINE |  
Deftool
12-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post
My mistake, I was at the Kelowna show. Wrong Thread.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post
My mistake, I was at the Kelowna show. Wrong Thread.
OFFLINE |  
esp4ever
12-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah I noticed the link on the tour page is off. The Kelowna link goes to this thread.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah I noticed the link on the tour page is off. The Kelowna link goes to this thread.
OFFLINE |  
darrennie
12-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Maybe they are being punished for their "bad" behaviour.
Last night was my first TOOL show, and nothing I have read or seen could have prepared me for what I saw, what a fucking experience.
Must say after 1 song by TA I had to leave my seat, just too loud and crappy. Had to save my hearing for the real show. And what a show it was. Sorry to hear Maynard was ill, which might explain why he was so quite at times.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Maybe they are being punished for their "bad" behaviour.
Last night was my first TOOL show, and nothing I have read or seen could have prepared me for what I saw, what a fucking experience.
Must say after 1 song by TA I had to leave my seat, just too loud and crappy. Had to save my hearing for the real show. And what a show it was. Sorry to hear Maynard was ill, which might explain why he was so quite at times.
OFFLINE |  
Yours Faithlessly
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah, that was a sweet show. Sound, lights, Maynard were all fucking awesome, and the drum solo in Lateralus was insane.

My one complaint - since, of course, complaints are a lot more interesting than raves - is that I got to my row just as they started playing Jambi, only to find some fucker had TAKEN MY SEAT; and then, when I stood next to him peacefully and tried to watch the show, he told me 'fuck you, i paid $180 for this ticket, get out of here, you're fucking ruining Tool for me', or something like that. There were two seats one row behind them, so my girlfriend and I stood there for the show... probably the seats that fucker was supposed to be in. tool fans are like fans of communism; if they weren't such idiots, a lot more people would be into it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Yeah, that was a sweet show. Sound, lights, Maynard were all fucking awesome, and the drum solo in Lateralus was insane.

My one complaint - since, of course, complaints are a lot more interesting than raves - is that I got to my row just as they started playing Jambi, only to find some fucker had TAKEN MY SEAT; and then, when I stood next to him peacefully and tried to watch the show, he told me 'fuck you, i paid $180 for this ticket, get out of here, you're fucking ruining Tool for me', or something like that. There were two seats one row behind them, so my girlfriend and I stood there for the show... probably the seats that fucker was supposed to be in. tool fans are like fans of communism; if they weren't such idiots, a lot more people would be into it.
OFFLINE |  
jeremywize's Avatar jeremywize
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

HA!! Dude, I totally called it!!! HAHA, told you that song live kicks ass!!

so, what the fuck, do we just wait for tomorrow and hopefully no news is good news for the Everett show??? hopefully they just didn't want to go to MT and just head straight here, I hope 2 days off helps out so they can play here on Tuesday!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

so, what the fuck, do we just wait for tomorrow and hopefully no news is good news for the Everett show??? hopefully they just didn't want to go to MT and just head straight here, I hope 2 days off helps out so they can play here on Tuesday!
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Review from the Victoria paper:

http://tinyurl.com/37ldct

Also, TOOL took in the previous night's Salmon Kings game:

http://tinyurl.com/2ryq3q

What a great show. We flew down from Anchorage for this. Between making it over the pass from Nainaimo (snowstorm, rear wheel drive rental) and Maynard's vocal health, I think we're real lucky.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Review from the Victoria paper:

http://tinyurl.com/37ldct

Also, TOOL took in the previous night's Salmon Kings game:

http://tinyurl.com/2ryq3q

What a great show. We flew down from Anchorage for this. Between making it over the pass from Nainaimo (snowstorm, rear wheel drive rental) and Maynard's vocal health, I think we're real lucky.
OFFLINE |  
jeremywize's Avatar jeremywize
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
No official word as of 10:30 am PST on Monday, 12/3 for a postponed Everett show, I talked to the Everett Event Center and they have heard nothing from the band and all is a go as of right now, this may change. will keep all posted as I am stressing a wee bit!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMOUSE View Post
No official word as of 10:30 am PST on Monday, 12/3 for a postponed Everett show, I talked to the Everett Event Center and they have heard nothing from the band and all is a go as of right now, this may change. will keep all posted as I am stressing a wee bit!
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM

I had just seen (and treated some others to) the show in Saskatoon, which very well could have been my favourite all-time livemusicshow experience. It seemed that there was a general great positive, respectful vibe there. All of my friends from Alberta that I brought to Saskatoon constantly poked fun at the place, but you know what? We sure didn't have to deal with a single ounce of bullshit whilst there (no scrutiny, no fascism, a seemingly complete lack of drunken douchebags). The event staff there was pretty laid back, and well anyway, onto the Victoria show review:

It's shame to have one's excitement partially tarnished by what I think is quite simply fear. The lineup getting in was long and slow moving. It's funny how the wind and rain seemed to really pick up the closer it was to showtime. I'm not sure when exactly they took to the stage, but I'm guessing about 9:10 or shortly thereafter. Got there about 8:20, and still missed the beginning of the farking show! I guess having the venue right next to the cop shop isn't going to help with things. Cops were walking up and down the lineup, pretty much staring people down. There were a couple of cattle/doormen who were unnecessarily rude... after being told to go the "VIP Door" (which is pretty lame anyway) because the lineup was shorter, this guy had to yell at us, "you can't use this door!!! Go around". So we ended up circling about 270 degrees of this place before getting in. Did anybody notice water fountains inside? I didn't. Apparently they closed down the beer stands fairly quickly too - no biggie, I just wanted some water, and the beer vendor/kiosk things were the only places selling them, so that was pretty shitily run. Anyway, the pad downs were pretty thorough (and thus, slow going). A buddy made a comment that they was probably going to be cops at every row on the floor with tasers. Granted I'm making a bigger deal of this than it actually was, but it just sucks almost being treated like a criminal. Whereas in Sask. I felt like the people there simply wanted everyone to have a good time. I guess bad shit seldom goes down there. Whereas at this "Slave On Foods" place, it possibly was as busy as it's ever been.

So, missed most of Jambi, which sounded amazing. This idiot thought I was in his seat (just like the story above), though I had known for a solid month where I was gonna be seated (having contemplated spending the $800 on cree-bay to a touter/broker/scaper). This seemed to anger him as he removed his shirt and for the remainder of the show wanted to kick my ass. Luckily a far less douchey guy stood between myself and this guy which cut down on the awkwardness somewhat. That's another thing kinda shitty about that show, was somehow many folks were able to gather up tickets when others couldn't (phone lines were busy, 'selectyourtickets' website was too congested, etc)... while these others were able to charge a killing for the tickets they got through their connections. I realize this happens everywhere a lot, but the ratio was far shittier for this show than say the Saskatoon show, where only a few sets of tickets were sold on ebay [to clarify - sold by these third parties/people with 'connections'], and not dozens/hundreds (this was a considerably smaller venue as well). Anyone reading this might gather that I'm using my experience with the crowd and what not to paint and unfair picture of the band's performance - not quite the case. However, myself and a buddy sensed that a lot of people in that building didn't really seem to care to be there all that much. Regardless, it was a damn decent show. Technically speaking the band played flawlessly, as far as I could tell. The sound system was somewhat distorting. It was louder than Saskatoon, but more garbled. Anyhow, the band didn't seem to be as in to it, which is totally understandable, you can't always be feelin' it to the same capacity or level. I'm pretty much splitting hair here, it WAS a great show, don't get me wrong. It's just that, despite being the exact same setlist as the "S'toon" show, it was definitely a different show. The jam-off between the TransAm drummer and Carey was alright. I give that dude props for playing alongside such an astounding powerhouse (let alone it being during pretty much the climax of the show). I felt that Danny clearly outshined him, but he is pretty much in a different ballgame, or universe, or something, in my opinion. Anyway, even during that soloing, I felt things never really peaked to the exciting intensity that it did at the second last show. Justin and Maynard seemed to grove to their music less. It makes sense that Maynard might not being into it so much, being sick and all. Hope he gets over that soon - for his sake, and for the rest of you who are seeing them soon). I liked (as usual) a lot of the sounds Adam created. That guy rocks the shit in this sleep. Actually, Justin was REAALLY into Flood. It was sweet when he started to lay down the starting notes. The sound he has - and what he does with it - is so badass. Danny is always so amazing. To be able to come out, night after night, and play with such an intensely-focused energy is really remarkable. I will say that he didn't kick quite as much ass that night.... not that I'm complaining. It's just, if you only saw this show and no other, please know that this guy can kick even more ass.

Thankfully people weren't lifting up chairs and throwing shit and otherwise. People were a bit talkative, but ah well. If people in Kelowna, and in other towns, are inspired to become filled with blind anger due to their music... I'm sorry but (even though it IS subjective) they're idiots and aren't getting it. I'm just so glad they came out all this way, did a few additional Canadian dates. Hopefully they come back. End rant.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 12-03-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

I had just seen (and treated some others to) the show in Saskatoon, which very well could have been my favourite all-time livemusicshow experience. It seemed that there was a general great positive, respectful vibe there. All of my friends from Alberta that I brought to Saskatoon constantly poked fun at the place, but you know what? We sure didn't have to deal with a single ounce of bullshit whilst there (no scrutiny, no fascism, a seemingly complete lack of drunken douchebags). The event staff there was pretty laid back, and well anyway, onto the Victoria show review:

It's shame to have one's excitement partially tarnished by what I think is quite simply fear. The lineup getting in was long and slow moving. It's funny how the wind and rain seemed to really pick up the closer it was to showtime. I'm not sure when exactly they took to the stage, but I'm guessing about 9:10 or shortly thereafter. Got there about 8:20, and still missed the beginning of the farking show! I guess having the venue right next to the cop shop isn't going to help with things. Cops were walking up and down the lineup, pretty much staring people down. There were a couple of cattle/doormen who were unnecessarily rude... after being told to go the "VIP Door" (which is pretty lame anyway) because the lineup was shorter, this guy had to yell at us, "you can't use this door!!! Go around". So we ended up circling about 270 degrees of this place before getting in. Did anybody notice water fountains inside? I didn't. Apparently they closed down the beer stands fairly quickly too - no biggie, I just wanted some water, and the beer vendor/kiosk things were the only places selling them, so that was pretty shitily run. Anyway, the pad downs were pretty thorough (and thus, slow going). A buddy made a comment that they was probably going to be cops at every row on the floor with tasers. Granted I'm making a bigger deal of this than it actually was, but it just sucks almost being treated like a criminal. Whereas in Sask. I felt like the people there simply wanted everyone to have a good time. I guess bad shit seldom goes down there. Whereas at this "Slave On Foods" place, it possibly was as busy as it's ever been.

So, missed most of Jambi, which sounded amazing. This idiot thought I was in his seat (just like the story above), though I had known for a solid month where I was gonna be seated (having contemplated spending the $800 on cree-bay to a touter/broker/scaper). This seemed to anger him as he removed his shirt and for the remainder of the show wanted to kick my ass. Luckily a far less douchey guy stood between myself and this guy which cut down on the awkwardness somewhat. That's another thing kinda shitty about that show, was somehow many folks were able to gather up tickets when others couldn't (phone lines were busy, 'selectyourtickets' website was too congested, etc)... while these others were able to charge a killing for the tickets they got through their connections. I realize this happens everywhere a lot, but the ratio was far shittier for this show than say the Saskatoon show, where only a few sets of tickets were sold on ebay [to clarify - sold by these third parties/people with 'connections'], and not dozens/hundreds (this was a considerably smaller venue as well). Anyone reading this might gather that I'm using my experience with the crowd and what not to paint and unfair picture of the band's performance - not quite the case. However, myself and a buddy sensed that a lot of people in that building didn't really seem to care to be there all that much. Regardless, it was a damn decent show. Technically speaking the band played flawlessly, as far as I could tell. The sound system was somewhat distorting. It was louder than Saskatoon, but more garbled. Anyhow, the band didn't seem to be as in to it, which is totally understandable, you can't always be feelin' it to the same capacity or level. I'm pretty much splitting hair here, it WAS a great show, don't get me wrong. It's just that, despite being the exact same setlist as the "S'toon" show, it was definitely a different show. The jam-off between the TransAm drummer and Carey was alright. I give that dude props for playing alongside such an astounding powerhouse (let alone it being during pretty much the climax of the show). I felt that Danny clearly outshined him, but he is pretty much in a different ballgame, or universe, or something, in my opinion. Anyway, even during that soloing, I felt things never really peaked to the exciting intensity that it did at the second last show. Justin and Maynard seemed to grove to their music less. It makes sense that Maynard might not being into it so much, being sick and all. Hope he gets over that soon - for his sake, and for the rest of you who are seeing them soon). I liked (as usual) a lot of the sounds Adam created. That guy rocks the shit in this sleep. Actually, Justin was REAALLY into Flood. It was sweet when he started to lay down the starting notes. The sound he has - and what he does with it - is so badass. Danny is always so amazing. To be able to come out, night after night, and play with such an intensely-focused energy is really remarkable. I will say that he didn't kick quite as much ass that night.... not that I'm complaining. It's just, if you only saw this show and no other, please know that this guy can kick even more ass.

Thankfully people weren't lifting up chairs and throwing shit and otherwise. People were a bit talkative, but ah well. If people in Kelowna, and in other towns, are inspired to become filled with blind anger due to their music... I'm sorry but (even though it IS subjective) they're idiots and aren't getting it. I'm just so glad they came out all this way, did a few additional Canadian dates. Hopefully they come back. End rant.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 12-03-2007 at 12:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Galebt
12-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywize View Post

i had the same thought, the MT show is 11 hours out of their way. if he was that sick i would think they would cancel more than one show. My fingers are turing blue they're crossed so hard.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywize View Post

i had the same thought, the MT show is 11 hours out of their way. if he was that sick i would think they would cancel more than one show. My fingers are turing blue they're crossed so hard.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply