opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/08 - Dallas, TX - McFarlin Auditorium

fucken amazing show.

off home to Oz now.

Plus i hear rumours they may be touring there in august so I get to see them twice in one year - heaven!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

all the screens were old except a few

security was trying to be too agressive almost ruining the positive vibe
Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 AM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

What a performance. I found the anticipation of the show starting a killer. Strong setlist that flowed well. No mistakes or hiccups that I could detect just great music. Fortunate to sit next to some good folks on the rail that enjoyed the music and were there for the music. New material sounded tight live. What a treat. Have a great time to those still ahead on the tour. Small venues, and this was small, rock.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecg0792
I saw Tool last week at coachella, and this show did not even compare to that. This was the worst display of tool fans I have ever seen. At one point, I noticed that people began sitting down in the middle of the set, to which I replied "Wake up fuckers". At coachella, it was hard to even distinguish Maynards voice due to the fact that every single person there seemed to know every word to every tool song, like it was seond nature. The lack luster crowd was a serious disappointment. The set list was pretty much the same, but still owned. Once again, Sober was the best display of their musical genius, Lateralis got the crowd amped, and Anemia was the perfect finish. Hopefully if they do return, it won't be at Smirnoff, god I hate that venue.

good god, how can you say that we were the worst display of Tool fans? You can't even spell the names of the songs right! :) I thought the crowd was way into it, maybe it's just me and the other 2200 people there? I was one of the duplicate ticket guys. It seems like it was only row f in sections b and d. I didn't pick the pit ticket, although I wouldn't have minded. I do agree with you about smirnoff, that place would not do TOOL justice. If they choose to come back to this 'lackluster' crowd as you say, then maybe they'll play at american airlines or nokia live. I just don't get some people with their high standards. I thought the show was full of energy and a very good vibe from the band themselves! You could tell at the end of the show that they were happy! They were all smiles and what about danny whipping that drum head up to the balcony? Mad frisbee skills! :) I would say this is the second best show I've ever seen and I've been to a few. Anyone get an extra poster they might want to part with for double price?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #45

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Jambi, EBA/The Patient, and Vicarious were perfection. Did really experience the mix issues from up high and in the back. I also found the audience to be knowledgeable, energetic, and respectful of the music. Not out to pose or play, just jam. It was an honor to get to hear Aenema live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

what a badass show! the best concert i have been to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote
Bravo guys. The show from section N, row A was great. Awesome energy, well mixed. Highlights to come tomorrow. Like the man said, "smell ya later".
by any chance were you sitting seat 8? i was in seat 9.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was truly amazing...not a bad seat in the house. Watching the band play from 'above' was a very cool experience. Loved the setlist (even though you can't truly please every tool fan), the only thing that would have topped the night is to hear Opiate and Right in Two, but you can't complain.

Security was a little tight and distracting. Flashlights a plenty = distractions from the experience.

Thanks guys for hanging out after the show...very nice of you to spend a little time with the fans and just shoot the shit, shake some hands, sign a few autographs, share our resentment for scalpers/agents, etc.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #48
BGA
Level 4 - Thinker

Did anyone else, who was in the pit, see Justin play with a Miller Lite bottle. He was on his knees with his back to the crowd using the bottle to get cool sounds. I'm trying to remember what intro he did that for.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #49

justin was off the hook! I couldn't help but just watch him sway the whole show! I'm loving his bass sounds! on the recording note, don't worry about paying for it, it'll surface. I'm sure someone stuck a md recorder up their ass to get this show! :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #50

BGA, I saw what Justin did with the beer bottle. It was right before they played Vicarious. I remember because it was right after they got off their little encore break he used that bottle he was sipping out of when they were sitting down. Like I said I was standing right next to you in the pit directly in front of Justin, so I got to see all his little mechanisms.

Sorry if this is too long, but here is a cool review from the Dallas Morning News. I would post a link, but I think it's available only to subscribers.

Review: Tool keeps it simple in mini-tour stop at SMU

08:29 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 9, 2006
By MIKE DANIEL / The Dallas Morning News

Tool's concert Monday night in Dallas was about focus instead of the usual hocus pocus.

Fans of today's preeminent progressive rock act know how bizarre Tool can get onstage. Esoteric frontman Maynard James Keenan has thrown down some wacky looks, and the band is prone to tangential feedback surfing between its uranium-crusted songs. Most of the time attendees can't even see anyone onstage, as awash as the band is in shadows, dark lighting and flashy video screens.

But the sold-out warm-up gig at tiny (for the band) 1,200-seat McFarlin Auditorium at Southern Methodist University was wiry, sleek and compartmentalized in comparison. What that made for was 100 minutes of heavy-rock Mecca, where the mysticism was minimalist but could still be sensed, and Tool's ceremoniously vociferant music overrode all else.

Tool's aim on this 15-date U.S. theater tour is to publicly chaw on material from its week-old album, 10,000 Days. But many were beyond peeved that tickets for the trek were all but unattainable, and the band won't be back to play North American dates until August at the earliest. (Mr. Keenan has apologized for the mini-tour's arrangement on the band's Web site).

What lucky ticketholders witnessed was a stripped-down band, which fits with the new material's similarly unornamented premises. Each of the four members had a video screen behind him, and no one strayed from their quadrant except, on occasion, guitarist Danny Carey. The show's 11 songs alternated between new track and old hit, bookmarked by the brazen and dramatic sci-fi opener, "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)/Rosetta Stoned" and a commanding encore of "Vicarious," the new CD's first single. Every single song possessed enough sonic power to spin a West Texas windmill to propeller-blurring speeds.

Mr. Keenan did his typical boundary lurking, slowly pacing back and forth in front of his video frame but never venturing to the stage's front. His vocals flattened out at times, especially on the higher reaches of "The Pot" and the matter-of-fact passages on "Stinkfist," but his deific vibrance, even in silhouette as he was much of the show, drowned out the occasional hiccup.

His look was pure homoerotic rock-star cowboy: no shirt, wire-rimmed cop-style sunglasses, tight boot-cut blue jeans, a straw cowboy hat and a big 'n' shiny oval belt buckle. He even threw in the occasional Dwight Yoakam heel-to-toe side shuffle at times, and his microphone slinging looked awfully similar to revving up a lasso loop.

"Now this has been an absolute treat," he said with a bit of a twang just before the final song. Ride the lightning, cowboy.

Last edited by goosenesque; 05-09-2006 at 07:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking man
good god, how can you say that we were the worst display of Tool fans? You can't even spell the names of the songs right! :) I thought the crowd was way into it, maybe it's just me and the other 2200 people there? I was one of the duplicate ticket guys. It seems like it was only row f in sections b and d. I didn't pick the pit ticket, although I wouldn't have minded. I do agree with you about smirnoff, that place would not do TOOL justice. If they choose to come back to this 'lackluster' crowd as you say, then maybe they'll play at american airlines or nokia live. I just don't get some people with their high standards. I thought the show was full of energy and a very good vibe from the band themselves! You could tell at the end of the show that they were happy! They were all smiles and what about danny whipping that drum head up to the balcony? Mad frisbee skills! :) I would say this is the second best show I've ever seen and I've been to a few. Anyone get an extra poster they might want to part with for double price?
Actually Danny handed both of them off to Adam to throw. So props to Adam for Mad frisbee skills.

Correction; I stand over-ruled.

Last edited by Undone; 05-09-2006 at 08:11 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #52
msj
Level 3 - Talker

saw Blair's wierd lookign ass at the 7 11 across the street. I was front center of the first balcony and thought the damn thing was going to come down when stinkfist started. at the front it was litterly moving 6-8 inches up and down. VERY freeky when you think what building codes had to have been in 1926.

Knew it was going to be great

Knew I had good seats

Still blown the fuck away. 6th show and the best not counting Austin music hall 3-97 on 4 hits.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
Actually Danny handed both of them off to Adam to throw. So props to Adam for Mad frisbeee skills.
I guess I hallucinated watching Adam through the bigger drum head into the back of the floor under the balcony and immediately after watching Danny hurl the smaller head into the top balcony.

Funny, cuz I was sober.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #54

I thought it was Danny too, so you weren't halucinating. Danny threw the one that made it to the 2nd balcony.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #55

I thought the same thing. I was completely sober too and it WAS danny that hurled that head up to the balcony.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Did anyone hear what Maynard said right before 'Picture this if you will' at the beginning of the show? It didn't sound like 'alrighty then' but people were screaming like crazy next to me right then.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #57

it sounded like he said 'hello there', but it could have been 'alrighty then'.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking man
yea smirnoff would suck, and so would nokia. It needs to be AA.
“Youre the only one who can hold your head up high shake your fist at the gates saying: I have come home now, fetch me the spirit the son and the father. Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended, its time now, my time now, give me my wings…"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

In 1998 I saw a band named Tool. I went from a casual fan to a zealot in the matter of a hearing a few notes performed by them live. Since then I have seen them a total of 6 times including this show. They still amaze and bewilder me.

If my first Tool show was a conversion, this show was a rededication. In the words of “Lateralus,”
“ I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,”

I think these lines capture what it is to experience a Tool show. Last night Maynard was dead on with his vocals. Danny bludgeoned the crowd with his drumming. I think the only air in the place was the sonic vibrations from his bass drums. Justin abused his bass to the point it sounded like it had a mind of its own. And Adam, Adam’s call demeanor belies the pummeling riffs he dispenses like drugs at the free clinic.

There were a few lulls in the show where technical issues were being addressed and the mix was a little off (Maybe the sound guy was a SMU intern)-my innards are still vibrating today. Overall the performance was just short of divine. I am greatful to have had an opportunity to experience Tool in such an intimate setting. It was like going to an old time tent revival, without the snakes.

Last edited by badgertool; 05-09-2006 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: proofreed
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecg0792
I saw Tool last week at coachella, and this show did not even compare to that. This was the worst display of tool fans I have ever seen. At one point, I noticed that people began sitting down in the middle of the set, to which I replied "Wake up fuckers". At coachella, it was hard to even distinguish Maynards voice due to the fact that every single person there seemed to know every word to every tool song, like it was seond nature. The lack luster crowd was a serious disappointment. The set list was pretty much the same, but still owned. Once again, Sober was the best display of their musical genius, Lateralis got the crowd amped, and Anemia was the perfect finish. Hopefully if they do return, it won't be at Smirnoff, god I hate that venue.
I don't know where you were at, what you or on, or if you just ignored your surroundings. From my vantage point, everyone was singing along to all of the old songs and most of the new songs. This was one of the best crowds I have seen at a Tool show the only other one that comes close was the Lateralus show at Fort Worth Convention Center. That venue kicks AA, Smirnoff and Nokia's ass!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard's mic was definitely lost in the first couple of songs. Danny's kick drum and Justin were cranked so loud i could feel my trachea rattle until it hurt.

Was it just me or did 46&2 absolutely bring the house down?

As for the balcony moving, I can attest. The woman and I were right beneath it. As the band was sitting before the encore and the foot stomping above began, we noticed the balcony quake before my girlfriend asked, "what if that falls on us?" yes, what if...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #62
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I stopped reading that Dallas Morning News review when it said "guitarist Danny Carey"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #63
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

I loved the show, It was alot to soak in.

I don't think the band was taking this one too seriously though, maynard was just singing his part most of the time, and adam and justin were just keeping it going. The energy level did rise up every now and then and never dropped too low (thanks to Danny... :O), but overall I felt that they were performing this like a warmup. I was in section E row E seat 5, and from there the sounds wasn't the greatest, but my $350 ticket was worth it..

Also, I ran into blair in the front entrance (seems like nobody noticed who he was) and he had a girl that (kinda resembled heather?) hanging all over him. I Double-looked and asked him if he was blair, he kidna looked at me slightly annoyed and said yeah. He automatically went to the 'shake the fans hand' position and asked me what my name was (prety much out of courtesy). I asked him if he ever reads these forums and he replied with a 'no'. Told him I had to ask and went in to where the real stars were (heh). Thought you guys might like to know.

My assessment of blair from those 30 seconds... he's pretty much an asshole (which is cool), much uglier in person, and even smells like beer all the time...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

For all of those who do not agree with my comment about Dallas having a lack luster crowd, I am camparing to Coachella. At that show, I met people from all over the world, let alone the country, that came to see Tool (not madonna). So when people paid for a plane ticket from Canada, Norway, Czech Republic, Japan etc, just to see Tool, needless to say they were fucking amped a bit more than those who attended the Dallas show in my opinion.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #65
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

I ran into Justin while walking by the blockbuster. He went to CVS and then returned to the bus.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #66

That's pretty sweet. I knew SOMEONE would catch a glimpse of them before/after the show since the venue is in such an exposed area. Certainly they don't want to be sitting in their bus all day...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #67
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

btw- eye 2 saw blair. but i was more interested in show, although if that was heather with him...................damn!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #68

I fucking knew I should have tried to hang and meet the band! I don't care about meeting blair, but it would have been cool to meet 3/4 of the band, cuz ya know mjk isn't gonna come out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Fuck....i couldnt stop dancing...
Section H row H, but they didnt play H
dam
The place nearly caved in during stinkfist
to all the people who i met at about 1:00 before the show who didnt have tickets...im glad you got in...... you deserved it....anyways...Someone asked me..."what are you on"?
uhhhmmm Tool...duh

contact

www.myspace.com/theromantool

Last edited by roman; 05-09-2006 at 11:20 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #70
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

I’ve been a Tool fan since 1998 when I heard “Forty Six & Two” on the radio. The deep mysterious bass and cascading drums put me in another head-space that I’d never experienced. The first time I experienced live Tool was in October 2001 at Reunion Arena in Dallas. I had a balcony seat but the show was incredible although nothing compared to what I was about to witness.

I got to McFarlin Auditorium early--around 6:00 after finding a parking spot I made my way up to the entrance of the auditorium and preceded to “shoot the shit” on the steps leading to the entrance (which had three proclamations written upon it‘s façade--“Education”, “Religion”, “Patriotism”.). After waiting what seemed like forever, I finally passed through security and went to the merch table to obtain one of those giant posters. People around me were dropping $90 dollars on merch like it was nothing. I looked at the person next to me and said, “Buy my new record”. I do not think he got the reference.

After waiting a few more minutes they opened the doors and I made my way to my seat (Floor, Section C, Row Z, Seat 9). On my way in, I snuck a peek at the massive soundboard at the back (my seat was approx. 10 feet away from the mixer. After a good helping of people watching and “When the Levee Breaks” by Zeppelin on the P.A., I looked over my shoulder at the mixer and Blair (toolband.com webmaster/general Tool and Occult connoisseur) was standing there talking to a very beautiful girl (those of you who know what Blair looks like will appreciate the irony of this). I looked at him and mouthed “fucking Tool!” and he just smiled.

At approx. 8:20 pm, (after about five minutes of Buddhist chanting with a synthesizer) I ingested a heroic dosage of Tool. Adam and Justin walked out, waved to the crowd, and got down to business. The opened with “Lost Keys (blame Hoffman)/Rosetta Stoned”. Justin’s wailing bass feedback filled the auditorium like a wine glass. After about a minute of feedback and raucous applause, Adam chimed in with those first three notes on his Silverburst Les Paul. The wine glass was filled to the brim.

A moment later Danny walked out wearing a Kansas basketball jersey, followed by Maynard who was wearing a Cowboy hat, aviators, and jeans w/ a “Texas” sized belt-buckle. The last few of notes of “Lost Keys” rang out and Maynard spoke the first line to “Rosetta Stoned” through his “voice box“:

“ALL RIGHT THEN. PICTURE THIS IF YOU WILL.”

The auditorium exploded into a cacophony of music--a psychedelic magnum opus. The bass and kick drum shook my innards out of their sleeping state and my third eye was pried open with a crowbar of sheer volume. The wine glass was overflowing.

Writing this review, I feel like the character in “Rosetta Stoned”. The whole thing was “so real”. How am I going to put what I saw into words? “I forgot my pen….”

The band ripped through “Rosetta” (only marred by Justin’s bass squealing at the beginning) and the climax was epic (to say the least). If the audience didn’t know the previous song, they definitely knew the next.

A slight bit of feedback and “Stinkfist” was underway. Needless to say, the crowd went into berserker frenzy. The song seemed a little slower than normal at the first but gradually sped up. Maynard’s vocals were spot-on and Adam added a little extra during the verses with his new “chopper” pedal. Very loud. Very impressive. They didn’t add the extra verse, and as far as I could tell, it was sans-”electro-tabla” sounds at the beginning and at the bridge (this was a LOUD concert and I was under the balcony, there is a good possibility that I just didn’t hear it). Images from the video played (as with all songs played that had videos) on the screens overlaid with what looked like Camella’s “Spiral-Eyes” video loops.

After “Stinkfist” was over. Maynard said that the next song was “dedicated to degrading family values, everything that’s evil, so basically Satan.” The next song was “The Pot”. Maynard triggered a sequence on his keyboard and sung the first line, followed by a long pause with fans singing the second line alone. Justin’s bass started the schizophrenic riff and was quickly followed by Adam and Danny. The opening long, drawn-out, half-step bends on guitar is signature Adam and Justin‘s bass whammy solo was wicked. This song reminds me of Jane’s Addiction with a bit of Hendrix thrown into the mix. This will be the next single, easily.

“Forty Six & Two” started and I recalled hearing the song on the radio the first time. I thought about how lucky I was to see a band that has greatly inspired me in such a small and intimate setting. Everyone was belting out the lyrics (some with better skill than others) and you could slice the anticipation of the drum solo with a knife. Those first rumbling sextuplets on the snare sounded and the crowd erupted. I stood in awe as I did the first time I saw this solo live (with full-on “O“ face, nonetheless). Stunning. Danny Carey will go down as one of the best drummers in history.

“Jambi” was next. There were a few hiccups but that is to be expected. This is a warm-up tour. Besides that, the song was incredible. Justin was flawless in his attack on bass. The kick-drum on the “break-down” thundered through the room and Danny was Zeus incarnate. Adam’s talk-box solo was breathtaking and the sound was reproduced very well live (and for those of you that think it is a digital effect pedal and nothing more, you could not be more mistaken).

By now, I was sweating my ass off.--deep into this Tool trip that I had started earlier. After the rolling thunder of “Jambi”, I took comfort in the delicate chords of the intro to “Schism”. The comfort didn’t last long and again I was riding a cascading wave of sound frequencies. “Schism” was flawless and I think it has to be one of Tool’s most challenging songs lyrically. Maynard shined all throughout this song.

“Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient” was next. Not many songs come close to the epic sounds of “The Patient”. I was so deep into the experience now that I can’t remember much, just the rush of endorphins as the song climaxed. I do remember that Danny added some different sounds during the quiet percussive parts with his new drum pads.

An impromptu feedback jam ensued after “The Patient” commenced. Maynard left the stage for a short bit, and Adam, Justin, and Danny, began to “square the stones” constructing a massive wall of sound. There were hints at “Merkaba” from Salival in the drum pattern Danny was playing. This led directly into “Sober”.

“Sober” rocked steadily and they jammed a little on the middle section. Besides that, I don’t remember too much.

“Lateralus” started with a slightly different synth sound. This sound was more “up-front” and aggressive than the sound on the album. “Lateralus” was the highlight of the night. The energy in the place went up a thousand-fold and I thought the place was going to collapse in on itself like a tidal wave. If my ears weren’t already damaged enough, the Gong Hit (yes, that is capitalized--it deserves it) ruined them. The end of “Lateralus” live is the initiation of the neophyte into the “Order of Tool”. You can look at another fan and you know if they have experienced such greatness.

After “Lateralus”, the place went wild and the band all sat down on Maynard’s platform. They were soaking in all the applause from us junkies who wanted just one more hit. At one point Maynard put his hand up to his ear and then the crowd started stomping on the floor. I have only experienced this at a sporting event--it was amazing to say the least.

The guys got back up and picked up right where they left off. They played “Vicarious” next. I think Adam was having some kind of problem because he was talking to a stage tech during the intro. The song has power. Maynard seemed a little more reserved during the song I can only assume because of the subject matter. The triplets at the end were flawless. Not many bands can pull off a song like this.
With a Bart Simpson voice, Maynard said “Smell ya later”, and the band went into “Ænema”. Maynard fucked up the lyrics at the “fuck….” part and kind of smiled. He included the “Fuck Rupert Murdoch” line in the lyrics. After the song was over there was the obligatory throwing of water bottles, drumheads, and what looked like small baggies of something (??). Danny handed Adam a drumhead to throw and he pointed to the center section and threw it. It went way of to the right and he just shrugged. Danny then whipped one up into the balcony. The band hugged and left the stage.

At the end of the show, I stuck around by the tour busses, shook Danny Carey's hand and complemented him on the show. He was very humbled by the 20 or 30 of us that were hanging out back there, shook everyone’s hand, and thanked us for coming. Almost got an autograph from Justin (he stopped signing right as I got to him).

On the two-hour drive home, I must have said to myself, “Holy Shit”, “Goddamn”, or some variation thereof about 100 times.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #71
Level 2 - Poster

Been intrigued by Tool since 95, but first time witnessing them was in '98 - my friends and I saw them in San Antonio... while we admit there is other great music out there, the one we agree on that will stand the test of time is TOOL. No other group hits us on all levels with on so many songs - truly unique and completely orginal even though they have their own inspirations.

They are the 4 legs of a table that enlightenment rests upon, and more and more are learning to feed off of. They continue to grow and with that, the table will keep rising to those too tall to currently see it...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
Oh, btw, the security there was the absolute lamest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I was hoping and waiting for maynard to say something about how lame SMU was or its security. They were flashing flash lights into the crowd throughout the concert looking for people smoking weed.
That's kind of funny that people were smoking dank at a Tool concert in that auditorium. I did some research on the SMU site and that building was originally built and designed as a chapel. It was one of the school's first churches haha. the irony is killing me.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i have to say this was the best tool show i've been to. in such a small quaint little setting it was amazingly brilliant.

only one gripe i had was when this douche bag security guy touched me and said "stay in front of your seat." i was in seat 1, sec d, row w. i barely had my foot out because some tall kid was in front of me and i couldnt see through his ass. conversation went like so...

security douche: get in front of your seat.
me: i am in front of it.
security douche: it's gonna be like this all night
me: FUUUUCCK, i cant see through this 7 foot tall fucker
security douche: sorry, my boss told me...
me: FUUUUCCK!!!
security douche: thaaayanks. (in the southpark smug thanks)

he made me miss like 15 secs of the show and all i could think about was strangling his tiny little dirty neck.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

Notion, I agree with what you said about it sounding like a warmup, or as if they weren't taking it too seriously or something. Though you'd have to carve out an exception for Danny's drumming -- I don't think he knows how to play any way other than balls to the wall. :-)

But that's fine... the way I see it, if they want to play a show with a little more relaxed feel to it, so be it. For me, Maynard's sarcasm coupled with the overzealous security made things a tad stifling, but c'est la vie. It was great to hear them play, as always.

I don't get all these kids raving about how it was the "best show ever", but whatever. Tool will always remain one of my favorite bands, regardless.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #75

Forgot to mention...

Since McFarlin is such a small and old venue, before the show people were talking about Tool "bringing the house down." Well, besides making the balcony shake like others have mentioned, they LITERALLY made pieces of the roof break off. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but there were at least 3 occassions where about golf ball size pieces of white chalk were falling on to our heads. Even the security guards around us were mildly concerned, as they kept on looking up to the ceiling and shaking their heads at us.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #76
Level 2 - Poster

Section C, Row Z, middle and to the rear under the first balcony, I'm glad I didn't get squashed, heh. I never realized the overhang was shaking, I was too into the music to notice.

This was my 5th time to see TOOL. My first was in Tulsa, OK of all places back in 1994 for the Undertow tour and it was in a very similar venue (in fact, I had very similar seats; middle and to the rear under an overhang). That show is still the best concert I've ever been to in my life and I've been to some great ones; the bass was so loud that, and I'm not kidding, under the overhang we were being pushed backwards by the air displacement. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life, yet crystal clear at the same time, and they played all of Undertow and most of Opiate; just an amazing night. And as Badgertool stated, the Ft. Worth Convention Center show for Lateralus a few years ago was amazing as well. With that out of the way, this show ranks #3 on my list of 5 and probably only because of the technical difficulties and set list (I loved all the songs, don't get me wrong as there isn't a TOOL song that is bad IMO, but then some of them are just too "radio friendly" and I'd hoped to here a few others, but it was still a great set).

I can't think of much to add to what everyone else has said about the evening other than to state I'm in total agreement with Justin's performance; he seemed to have more energy than anyone there (well, other than Danny, but it is kind've his job to be energetic, heh). I've always admired Justin's playing and began to respect him the last time I saw them in Ft. Worth, but last night blew me away (as does his performance on 10,000 Days; it really is his album it seems, and more power to him). I had no idea some of the riffs and sounds on the new songs were him, I just assumed it was Adam up to his normal trickery. I'm glad Justin is finally assuming a bigger role in the band, it only serves to make them even better (if such a thing is possible).

Anyway, if you have never seen TOOL in concert "get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs." You will not regret it, I don't care if you're only a so-so fan of the music, it is an experience, and one you will not soon forget. Great show, wonderful vibe, amazing evening.

Last edited by skillet; 05-09-2006 at 12:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenesque
Forgot to mention...

Since McFarlin is such a small and old venue, before the show people were talking about Tool "bringing the house down." Well, besides making the balcony shake like others have mentioned, they LITERALLY made pieces of the roof break off. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but there were at least 3 occassions where about golf ball size pieces of white chalk were falling on to our heads. Even the security guards around us were mildly concerned, as they kept on looking up to the ceiling and shaking their heads at us.
hahaha, i had shit all over me by the end of the night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

Hey, skillet, I was in the same row as you. I was the guy in the Guinness t-shirt.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #79

I'm betting they won't let another band play there again, unless it's some acoustic rainbow gathering shit! :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #80
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
That's kind of funny that people were smoking dank at a Tool concert in that auditorium. I did some research on the SMU site and that building was originally built and designed as a chapel. It was one of the school's first churches haha. the irony is killing me.
bwhahaha I know some of y'all sitting in section N were smelling some... ;)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: