Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Decapod's Avatar Decapod
03-08-2007, 01:47 PM

This thought is based ON OPINION ONLY. I really don't understand why SOME people bash '10,000 Days'. Some (people) are like well, it's no where near as good as 'Aenima' or 'Lateralus', Or i just dont think the album flows correctly or some other weird statement. Everytime i listen to it smells and sounds and even visions of my childhood come back, i don't really get these "feelings" from 'Aenima'
or 'Lateralus'. This might sound weird but 'Aenima' is a sorta cleansing for my nervous system like after being hassled by your boss all day kinda feeling and, 'Lateralus' is what i put in if i feel like im loosing faith in life, but '10,000 Days' does strange things to me. The album maked me sad, happy, nervous, and sometimes makes me feel like i should just give up on alot of the world cuz, obviously things are never going to get better (i.e.war, hunger, compassion for one another). For me '10,000 Days' helps and hurts me equally.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Inferior?

This thought is based ON OPINION ONLY. I really don't understand why SOME people bash '10,000 Days'. Some (people) are like well, it's no where near as good as 'Aenima' or 'Lateralus', Or i just dont think the album flows correctly or some other weird statement. Everytime i listen to it smells and sounds and even visions of my childhood come back, i don't really get these "feelings" from 'Aenima'
or 'Lateralus'. This might sound weird but 'Aenima' is a sorta cleansing for my nervous system like after being hassled by your boss all day kinda feeling and, 'Lateralus' is what i put in if i feel like im loosing faith in life, but '10,000 Days' does strange things to me. The album maked me sad, happy, nervous, and sometimes makes me feel like i should just give up on alot of the world cuz, obviously things are never going to get better (i.e.war, hunger, compassion for one another). For me '10,000 Days' helps and hurts me equally.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
MORNING_GLORY
03-08-2007, 08:47 PM

"we all feel like that all the time"
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Inferior?

"we all feel like that all the time"
jevons
03-13-2007, 08:56 AM

Fuck him ^^, i see where you're coming from. I mentioned on another post (sorry mods) that i listened to 10,000 days with headphones the first time, and now, not always, but often, if i just sit and listen to the album, i'll get taken back to that moment: the bar, the sunshine in May, the people walking by, the shitty Greek salad i had before a burger which was okay, the way i was facing, what page of my novel i was editing... the fucking way the barometric pressure felt, where i took off my headphones and though: this is some good shit, right here.

S' Certainly a strange fig, this album.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 779

Fuck him ^^, i see where you're coming from. I mentioned on another post (sorry mods) that i listened to 10,000 days with headphones the first time, and now, not always, but often, if i just sit and listen to the album, i'll get taken back to that moment: the bar, the sunshine in May, the people walking by, the shitty Greek salad i had before a burger which was okay, the way i was facing, what page of my novel i was editing... the fucking way the barometric pressure felt, where i took off my headphones and though: this is some good shit, right here.

S' Certainly a strange fig, this album.
MORNING_GLORY
03-13-2007, 11:01 AM

You kids and your emotions... learn to cope with them.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

jevons
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Seriously, dude, what the fuck would you say that for? The guy wanted to know something, he wanted some support and he felt alone.
You pricks and your small, weasely dicks....
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Banned.

Seriously, dude, what the fuck would you say that for? The guy wanted to know something, he wanted some support and he felt alone.
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
that's great, what a cop out. The kids...should...manage emotions in a world based on greed, hatred, murder, and war. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

Quote:
that's great, what a cop out. The kids...should...manage emotions in a world based on greed, hatred, murder, and war. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
jevons
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM

I think, oh, you don't want to know what i think.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Banned.

I think, oh, you don't want to know what i think.
03-13-2007, 02:22 PM

yes...I do...go on...proceed...post..whatever it is you do
Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

yes...I do...go on...proceed...post..whatever it is you do
jevons
03-13-2007, 02:34 PM

People don't get this album, might never. They think it's a joke, or a fucking turn into Simpleton.

They just aren't there yet. Aenima is always easy to go to, because there is always something to purge.

Lateralus is a sometimes thing, it gets the ''what if'''s going.

No one seems to need the 10,000 days yet, and it makes me sad. They bitch about their falling apart (i agree, some subpar live shit has hit the streets lately: Japan), or this hoax nonesense, or anything else in the myriad of possibilities to bitch about, but for every one doode in here to say ''10,ooo Days changed my life'' there's 10,000 who still don't want to be there yet.

So they stagnate.
And i get pissed.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Banned.

People don't get this album, might never. They think it's a joke, or a fucking turn into Simpleton.

They just aren't there yet. Aenima is always easy to go to, because there is always something to purge.

Lateralus is a sometimes thing, it gets the ''what if'''s going.

No one seems to need the 10,000 days yet, and it makes me sad. They bitch about their falling apart (i agree, some subpar live shit has hit the streets lately: Japan), or this hoax nonesense, or anything else in the myriad of possibilities to bitch about, but for every one doode in here to say ''10,ooo Days changed my life'' there's 10,000 who still don't want to be there yet.

So they stagnate.
And i get pissed.
03-13-2007, 02:42 PM

I don't understand why it is so necessary to insist the album "changes" your life...or "improves" it. For some people it's just there for the taking, for others, it's there for the changing, for other's, it's just a damn good album, others prefer other albums over it. No sin, no mistake, no regrets. Just different...shall I say the word? opinions.....
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't understand why it is so necessary to insist the album "changes" your life...or "improves" it. For some people it's just there for the taking, for others, it's there for the changing, for other's, it's just a damn good album, others prefer other albums over it. No sin, no mistake, no regrets. Just different...shall I say the word? opinions.....
jevons
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM

I never said anything about preference.

Goodbye.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Banned.

I never said anything about preference.

Goodbye.
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
03-13-2007, 03:10 PM

We know. But she still has a good point.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

We know. But she still has a good point.
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Geez...someone needs to lay off the steroids..I told ya...Jevons...come back
Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Geez...someone needs to lay off the steroids..I told ya...Jevons...come back
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM

sorry I didn't reply to your message Esurient...it's been crazy today..I will though!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

sorry I didn't reply to your message Esurient...it's been crazy today..I will though!
jevons
03-13-2007, 03:19 PM

What's to say? Tool's job has been to elevate, so, that changes how you think, (whick changes your life).

I have never heard a toolsong, no matter if it's Sweat or Viginti Tres (60) and had it not change my life in some way.

So, i think people are having a hard time (in most cases) with this album, and as such choosing to ignore it for discussions about their olde timey favourites.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Banned.

What's to say? Tool's job has been to elevate, so, that changes how you think, (whick changes your life).

I have never heard a toolsong, no matter if it's Sweat or Viginti Tres (60) and had it not change my life in some way.

So, i think people are having a hard time (in most cases) with this album, and as such choosing to ignore it for discussions about their olde timey favourites.
03-13-2007, 03:23 PM

elevate?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

elevate?
O.G.T.92's Avatar O.G.T.92
03-14-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post
I find it amazing that YOU were behind this post. BTW, clear your message box.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post
I find it amazing that YOU were behind this post. BTW, clear your message box.
paraflux
03-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Tool's job is not to elevate. They never applied for the job of elevating humanity. They simply show by example what is possible and hope others spot it and follow suit within themselves.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Tool's job is not to elevate. They never applied for the job of elevating humanity. They simply show by example what is possible and hope others spot it and follow suit within themselves.
03-14-2007, 08:02 AM

yeah that...that's what I was trying to say....thanks flux :o)
Old 03-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

yeah that...that's what I was trying to say....thanks flux :o)
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
03-14-2007, 01:48 PM

^^LOL!!
Yeah, and the apostles wrote what they did "JUST IN CASE" anyone wanted to follow along...

Lets get something straight. Every self-respecting person desires to "help" his fellow man is some capacity or another. TOOL are just lucky sons-o-bitches for having the opportunity to do so.

Oh, and they're self-enlightened beings that don't take lightly the platform existance of which their talent exposes, and allows them to express fully their vision of communication and co-existance.

flux and goble are agnostic beings aren't you guys?

Peace.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

^^LOL!!
Yeah, and the apostles wrote what they did "JUST IN CASE" anyone wanted to follow along...

Lets get something straight. Every self-respecting person desires to "help" his fellow man is some capacity or another. TOOL are just lucky sons-o-bitches for having the opportunity to do so.

Oh, and they're self-enlightened beings that don't take lightly the platform existance of which their talent exposes, and allows them to express fully their vision of communication and co-existance.

Peace.
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM

eek...where'd that come from?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

eek...where'd that come from?
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar Spaceman Spiff
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM

I wouldn't say I "bash" 10,000 Days, but I certainly don't love it. It's just lacking somewhere. Perhaps it's the fact that a quarter of it is taken up by that "Wings" crap - they could easily have cut that song down, or better yet, dispensed with "pt. 1" altogether. Same with "The Pot." There are a couple of cool riffs in there once you get about four minutes in, but the cheesy lyrics and vocals make it the must-skip track of the album - easily their worst song. Including segues. And speaking of, although I find "Viginti Tres" to be cool, it's only once in a while that I'll actually leave that one on to play. So already I'm already skipping almost 50% of the record. I will say that I do thoroughly enjoy the "Lipan Conjuring/Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" part of the record, though. The first two songs are also pretty good, as is "Right In Two" - but I haven't really been hooked on "Intension." It's okay. Kind of drags. Sometimes I have to skip that one and just get on with it.

So, at the end of the day, it feels like there's only four songs that I actually play, making it an inferior record, overall. The parts that are supposed to be the big epic and focus of this one just don't measure up.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32

I wouldn't say I "bash" 10,000 Days, but I certainly don't love it. It's just lacking somewhere. Perhaps it's the fact that a quarter of it is taken up by that "Wings" crap - they could easily have cut that song down, or better yet, dispensed with "pt. 1" altogether. Same with "The Pot." There are a couple of cool riffs in there once you get about four minutes in, but the cheesy lyrics and vocals make it the must-skip track of the album - easily their worst song. Including segues. And speaking of, although I find "Viginti Tres" to be cool, it's only once in a while that I'll actually leave that one on to play. So already I'm already skipping almost 50% of the record. I will say that I do thoroughly enjoy the "Lipan Conjuring/Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" part of the record, though. The first two songs are also pretty good, as is "Right In Two" - but I haven't really been hooked on "Intension." It's okay. Kind of drags. Sometimes I have to skip that one and just get on with it.

So, at the end of the day, it feels like there's only four songs that I actually play, making it an inferior record, overall. The parts that are supposed to be the big epic and focus of this one just don't measure up.
03-14-2007, 03:08 PM

I feel as if Rosetta stoned itself was a waste of time. Sorries. Vicarious as well..concept good..song..no like...
Old 03-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

I feel as if Rosetta stoned itself was a waste of time. Sorries. Vicarious as well..concept good..song..no like...
paraflux
03-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
^^LOL!!

Peace.
wtf?

I am not responsible for you in any way. Maybe there was a time when people wanted to help each other, like in Survivor, as a bad example, but when it comes down to it, it's every man for himself. Dont get me wrong, I think those who are able to cross will bind together in unity. But we are each responsible for ourselves. Doesnt mean that we dont care but there comes a point where we have done all we can and it's just time to go, with or without you. Besides, I cant pick you up and put you in the boat. Everyone has to climb in themselves, and trying to force someone in only does them harm. This is why setting the example is so paramount, and it is why Tool do not preach, they teach us to teach ourselves.

I will always love you as I throw your fucking throat away?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
^^LOL!!

Peace.
wtf?

I am not responsible for you in any way. Maybe there was a time when people wanted to help each other, like in Survivor, as a bad example, but when it comes down to it, it's every man for himself. Dont get me wrong, I think those who are able to cross will bind together in unity. But we are each responsible for ourselves. Doesnt mean that we dont care but there comes a point where we have done all we can and it's just time to go, with or without you. Besides, I cant pick you up and put you in the boat. Everyone has to climb in themselves, and trying to force someone in only does them harm. This is why setting the example is so paramount, and it is why Tool do not preach, they teach us to teach ourselves.

I will always love you as I throw your fucking throat away?
03-14-2007, 03:48 PM

I think "encourage" would be the proper word here
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think "encourage" would be the proper word here
MORNING_GLORY
03-15-2007, 09:29 PM

i don't think people's expectations should be so high. actually, lose the expectations all together. if you had never heard any tool but songs from 10,000 Days, you would still be impressed and awed.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

i don't think people's expectations should be so high. actually, lose the expectations all together. if you had never heard any tool but songs from 10,000 Days, you would still be impressed and awed.
the midas touch
03-15-2007, 09:53 PM

I agree with the OP.

I love listening to 10K Days up until Viginti Tres because I never know how I'll feel at the end of a listen--happy, sad, sympathetic, etc. It hits me *points to heart* here.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

I agree with the OP.

I love listening to 10K Days up until Viginti Tres because I never know how I'll feel at the end of a listen--happy, sad, sympathetic, etc. It hits me *points to heart* here.
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32

Quote:
No.
paraflux
03-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I would.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #29
Banned.

I would.
burning_purity
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Yeah i don't know why people don't like this album as well. It's my 2nd favorite by Tool personally.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah i don't know why people don't like this album as well. It's my 2nd favorite by Tool personally.
morethanmusic
03-22-2007, 01:48 AM

let me hit tou all wit some knowledge, boyeeeez. 10000 days is good. lateralus is good. aenima is good. opiate is good. undertow is good. masturbating is great. see what im saying.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #31
On Probation

let me hit tou all wit some knowledge, boyeeeez. 10000 days is good. lateralus is good. aenima is good. opiate is good. undertow is good. masturbating is great. see what im saying.
masta killa
03-26-2007, 07:56 PM

It's their most harsh album to date if you ask me. A look square in the eye at the things in the world that we may not always want to think about. It can be disheartening, but it's honest.

I don't think it's an inferior album, certainly not lacking in intensity.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

It's their most harsh album to date if you ask me. A look square in the eye at the things in the world that we may not always want to think about. It can be disheartening, but it's honest.

I don't think it's an inferior album, certainly not lacking in intensity.
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod View Post
And ur point is the album is ass good as Lateralus or Aenima because it makes u feel ¨strange¨...mmm...get over i!! every band has an album that is better than the others and Lateralus IS better than 10 k..my god damn fanatics
Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod View Post
And ur point is the album is ass good as Lateralus or Aenima because it makes u feel ¨strange¨...mmm...get over i!! every band has an album that is better than the others and Lateralus IS better than 10 k..my god damn fanatics
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
03-27-2007, 05:48 PM

It just seems that Lateralus is such a great album to get lost into because of the particular flow of the album, where as 10,000 days changes so much from song to song that it takes a while longer to grasp the music concept.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

It just seems that Lateralus is such a great album to get lost into because of the particular flow of the album, where as 10,000 days changes so much from song to song that it takes a while longer to grasp the music concept.
paraflux
03-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
Im sorry, but hass anyone told you that taste in music iss subjective?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #35
Banned.

Quote:
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
I believe that the whole concept of 10k being ¨inferior¨ or not the best of Tool´s albums comes from MOST of fans and non fans tastes and opinions, check the polls, read any review..of course it´s anyone right to like 10 k more than the other albums, it is indeed a matter of taste but most people´s taste agree that this is not their best album..i don´t see the problem with that ..or do u believe that evry album they release will be their best? come on we are all Tool fans but let´s keep real
Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
I believe that the whole concept of 10k being ¨inferior¨ or not the best of Tool´s albums comes from MOST of fans and non fans tastes and opinions, check the polls, read any review..of course it´s anyone right to like 10 k more than the other albums, it is indeed a matter of taste but most people´s taste agree that this is not their best album..i don´t see the problem with that ..or do u believe that evry album they release will be their best? come on we are all Tool fans but let´s keep real
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
03-28-2007, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a scorching case of synesthesia, but don't blame Tool.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #37
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Sounds like a scorching case of synesthesia, but don't blame Tool.
03-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
it is indeed a matter of taste but most people´s taste agree that this is not their best album..i don´t see the problem with that ..or do u believe that evry album they release will be their best? come on we are all Tool fans but let´s keep real
Estoy contigo mi estimado, ain't that true (despite the horrible spelling and grammar)

I wouldn't be impressed, by the way; tool talking about the evil power of TV. Meh. I almost feel insulted.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #38
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
it is indeed a matter of taste but most people´s taste agree that this is not their best album..i don´t see the problem with that ..or do u believe that evry album they release will be their best? come on we are all Tool fans but let´s keep real
Estoy contigo mi estimado, ain't that true (despite the horrible spelling and grammar)

I wouldn't be impressed, by the way; tool talking about the evil power of TV. Meh. I almost feel insulted.
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
03-31-2007, 01:31 AM

i just like the words in emphasized at the beggining of the tread "OPINION ONLY"

some people really need to get over themselves. Your all going to feel differently about the album, some will hate certain things, others will like those things, or feel that other elements outweigh it. Just because you like leteralus better (and personally i really do lol) doesnt mean everyone else should value it the same way. christ this argument never ends, and no body ever learns.

Music is personal. It's qualities values and messages all depend on how you interpret it.

edit: sorry, i diddnt read far enough to realise that my point had already been summed up
Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

i just like the words in emphasized at the beggining of the tread "OPINION ONLY"

some people really need to get over themselves. Your all going to feel differently about the album, some will hate certain things, others will like those things, or feel that other elements outweigh it. Just because you like leteralus better (and personally i really do lol) doesnt mean everyone else should value it the same way. christ this argument never ends, and no body ever learns.

Music is personal. It's qualities values and messages all depend on how you interpret it.

edit: sorry, i diddnt read far enough to realise that my point had already been summed up
Jansterseeky
04-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

You said it well though. 10,000 Days is my favourite and while I don't really get why it's not the favourite of more people, it's really up to them to decide which they like best.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

You said it well though. 10,000 Days is my favourite and while I don't really get why it's not the favourite of more people, it's really up to them to decide which they like best.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply