opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 84
Re: 2006/09/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
"Are the VIP's here yet? Can we start the show?" -maynard
I loved that part.

By the way, does anyone know if there are any bootlegs of this show? If so, can you please direct me to them?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Now i can write a proper interpretation/review of last nights show.

Last night my seat was in Floor section 2, 24 rows back and this was my sixth show (fifthw was the night before on thrusday) The show did have some great moments in it, but felt lacking as a whole, it just didn't have the same energy as the night before and the sound for friday's set was not as good as the thursday show either.. I felt the highlights of the show was Schism, Jambi, and Wings (BIG thanks to the band for returning to their comfortable but vulnerable spot for that one). Starting off with Rosetta Stones was interesting, throwing us straight down the hole... Too bad they had noticably messed up a couple times during it, after which Maynard replied "Ok lets start this for real". Perhaps he was just fucking with us.

The lazer show i thought was okay (maybe a little cheap), what was cool was the thin clouds from the fog machine were lit up on the lasers, (made it look like the lasers themselves were projecting them!!!!) which you could look up and ahead and have a more tangible feel from the visuals that are seen during Wings. Missing out on Right in Two was a let down for me last night, as that is easily considered one of the better live songs from this tour (my freind hated me for seeing it on thursday). Security SUCKED, both nights, real assholes. I had run past a thin line of them to get to a shirt stand after the show, and one yelled asking if i wanted her to chase me (wankers).
Even though this was the worst shape i have seen them, the show was still entirely whorthwhile and wholesome. What can i say? I"m a full hearted fan, whose been influenced in more ways than i can think of right now.

The meet up before the show was short but sweet, i didn't get to introduce myself to many of you that showed for it, and likewise didn't have many introduce themselves to me. KABIR, sorry i didn't notice you as the only picture i've seen you is the one with you wearing those sun glasses on the down.net site; also sorry for shaking your hand too long (i promise you i am not gay), it was just such a great pleasure to meet you who has assisted my cult relationship with these musicians.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #43
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Ok, here's something that Shane and I were just talking about.

On Thursday, Maynards voice was fine and he didn't say jack shit.

On Friday, Maynards voice was off yet he was chatty cathy to the crowd. I guess he had friends there. Fine, whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is, what was this talk about being sick? If he was sick, why was his voice fine the same hometown show the day before?

My guess is Maynard's emotions flowed Thursday night after the doors were closed.

My problem if this premise is true: Don't fucking lie and say you'resick. Tell people the truth: look, I was emotional all night so stick with me.

Btw, although Adam and company wanted this Friday show to be special, the Thursday show, because of its honesty, was probably the one to catch.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post

On Friday, Maynards voice was off yet he was chatty cathy to the crowd. I guess he had friends there. Fine, whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is, what was this talk about being sick? If he was sick, why was his voice fine the same hometown show the day before?

My guess is Maynard's emotions flowed Thursday night after the doors were closed.

My problem if this premise is true: Don't fucking lie and say you'resick. Tell people the truth: look, I was emotional all night so stick with me.

Btw, although Adam and company wanted this Friday show to be special, the Thursday show, because of its honesty, was probably the one to catch.
Totally agree. I think the sick thing was bullshit...he was "sick" when I saw them in Philly in May which I think he maybe really was. But I was thinking last night "damn if he's sick again...he is really an unhealthy guy" and I don't think that's the case.

I think Maynard has a tendency to make excuses when he thinks things aren't going well vocally. And then trys to act like a great guy by playing it up "sorry im sick, but we still had to play for you guys". Total bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to say that overall I am very disappointed. OK venue, good to finally hear wings/10k day. But the sound was just super horrible and off tone... The guitars were too loud and majority of the time you could barley hear Maynard. They just looked like an amateur band that is playing in front of a large crowd for the first time. Some people blame it on staple center. I do not think that staple center is solely responsible for tool sounding horrible. I saw Paul McCartney from the same spot and everything just sounded better.

They seem to also have some visual problems in the first few songs. Also, Maynard is looking more of a duchbag every day and seems to uninspired and only care about money. All he does is to insults his fan and puts them down and some how we have to find his action to be “cool”

I think when you pay 50 buck for a shitty seat; you at least expect that you have a descent sound. It looks like there was no sound check. Maybe tool is cheap to hire good people for this. The concert was also boring and uninspired. I just don’t think tool can connect with the crowd anymore. I loss a lot of respect for them. They becoming so mainstream and their head are becoming big. They use to be so much better four years ago.

PS. A lot of people indicated that Maynard was sick. My suggestion is that then he should have canceled the concert or should have reimbursed our money. People remember you are paying for this concert $50+ and you are entitle to at least a good show. If Maynard is sick that is his problem not ours who pay our hard earn money and drive long distance to see shitty off tone concert.

By the way do not compare pink Floyd shows to tool. That is like comparing shit (tool) to flower (Pink Floyd
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:

Have you ever been very emotional/sad/vulnerable/even devastated where people then would ask you "are you feeling ok?" then you would say "yeah i'm just kinda sick" or "yeah i'm just a bit under the weather" in trying to hide away your emotion. It's his emotion. He owns it. He has a right not to share it with you.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

the guy in front of me asked me which song he thought would follow wings for marie pt. 1.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #48
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

i dunno what the deal was...maybe he was sick because he messed up the lyrics a few times...the show was tighter musically, much tighter, save for Lateralus, Adam and Danny's timing was off at the intro but then they corrected and it sounded great. out side of that it was a great show not as powerful as thursday i dont think. ending with Lateralus was a great idea...i was kind of hoping they would add another song like perhaps end it with the Grudge, seeing as they cut out Right in Two, that would have been sweet. all in all a good show to catch but i do think thursday was just really something special. damnit now i have to wait forever to see them again!
"Am I a pretty girl?"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by +void+ View Post
I'm glad to see that someone else noticed the same things I noticed.

I just almost felt bad...like "this can't be...I'm getting bored at a Tool show!" one of my favorite bands. Oh well, every band ever has played bad shows/shitty venues, so what the hey.

I'll check back in with them again next tour.
do you like tool sir?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDathcha View Post
I couldn't stand the security. They were rude, overzealous and needed to relax. I was 9th row center and almost got into it with a female security guard, and at the end of the show a co-worker of the guard who got in my face gave me some half-cocked warning of "if you would just mind your business you would enjoy the show more." ooooooooohhhhhhhh makes me MAAAD. Great show though!
i wasn't too worried about the security. focusing on the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

I had freinds who were all pissed off afterwards about him talking about making a beer run, and talking smack on the VIP's. They're attitude was that if they pay for it then let em have it. I think they were igonorant to the fact that he was using it as a segue for Aenima, when he said that "It all won't matter after the big one... Hey hey hey hey"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #52
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones20004 View Post
i wasn't too worried about the security. focusing on the show.
Evidently you didn't have three of them blocking your view trying to figure out who was throwing drinks around.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #53
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
Have you ever been very emotional/sad/vulnerable/even devastated where people then would ask you "are you feeling ok?" then you would say "yeah i'm just kinda sick" or "yeah i'm just a bit under the weather" in trying to hide away your emotion. It's his emotion. He owns it. He has a right not to share it with you.
I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I consider these guys as friends of friends. I'm just saying: be you. My or anyone's subjective opinion does not matter.

Again, I don't know truth in these thoughts. I'm just sharing a discussion I had.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #54
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i had a great time. i was too drunk to noticed all of the flaws that have been mentioned. my only recomendation, have some beer and little shit like adam's and danny's timing being off on an intro will become meaningless. if you want flawless music, go to the hollywood bowl and listen to the orchestra play ludwig's 9th.

PS: I wasn't too drunk to notice the $43 price tag on t shirts. no, no, it's not about the money, only about the music, the art---fucken spare me danny carey!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
do you like tool sir?
I do like tool. I didn't like this show. It was uninspired.

Let me guess it was either your first tool show or your first show was one of the shows on the 10,000 days tour?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 AM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"Are the VIP's here yet? Can we start the show?" - Maynard

Maynard is a VIP...and also therefore a hypocrite. Make that a "fuckin hypocriiiiiite", haha.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by +void+ View Post
"Are the VIP's here yet? Can we start the show?" - Maynard

Maynard is a VIP...and also therefore a hypocrite. Make that a "fuckin hypocriiiiiite", haha.
Ah! Touche!

;o)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:55 AM   #58
oar
Level 1 - Lurker

i think the sick comment was a joke, he always bags on la

i nabbed the setlist, we got screwed a slight bit. opiate was to be played, after schism and before vicarious. no idea why they skipped it, but the band did have a bigt of a chat after 46+2 with roadies etc.i have pics of it, will upload shortly. also, rosetta was noted as "intro+rosetta", rather than just merley rosetta from thursday.

wings and 10,000 days is "wings 1+2"

also, no one mentioned this so far, justin got his stool before vicarious. it was quite a fake out for those of us that were there on thursday (before wings they brought out a stool for justin, which he uses during the song), cause i thoguth it was wings again. then he stood up and vicarious started, quite a fake out. i thought it was a great little touch that im sure only a few from thursday even noticed.

ps. fuck everyone who says they were off or whatever, it was a great show cept for getting one less song than thursday. could be worse, appears phoenix only got 9 songs....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 AM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I went to both shows and they both had their advantages. The first one got Right in Two which I would have loved to hear during the second one, and the new solo during stinkfist during the second show was wiiiicked. Also, best Wings for Marie has ever sounded for me...I like the song(s) a lot more now. Some of you probably saw us, we were directly diagnoal to the main entrance of the Staples center in the parking lot with a bigass black truck blasting 10,000 days....one of the guys with us was trying to sell his TOOL pipe he made last night....he still has one left that I may have to buy. Anyway, great shows.
I got one at the Marysville show!! It's a neat little piece! An uncover almost busted him, though. WHAT A FUCKING SHOW!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #60
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Alright, I think I'm ready to chime in...

I thought the show was GREAT. Some posts on here complain about little mishaps and such...what you are forgetting is this is LIVE, and fuckups are part of a LIVE show. I actually perfer to see a few messups...it sortof brings a mortality to the music, and the band as a whole. THEY ARE HUMAN (contrary to some peoples beliefs).

Anyway, here's my story: Friday morning, I was sitting at my desk at work, reading reviews from Thursday Nights show. "Wings/10,000 days debut." I sat there...thinking...what if this tour is the only time they play these songs? What if, next year, when they come around, they don't play these because they are not "huge hits" or what not (personally, they are my favs from the new album). I couldn't not see these songs. I purchased airplane tickets from sac to lax at 10:00am, as well as tickets to the show via ticketmaster (REALLY good seats, considering i purchased the day of the show... section 101, row 7. Which is 17 rows back from the stage, and 7 rows up to the left - they were better seats than i had when i purchased my Oakland tickets the day they went on sale...), for my girlfriend and I.

We flew into LAX at about 630, got picked up by a friend that lives in Santa Ana, and headed to the arena.

The concert was fucking awesome. I liked out Maynard was walking around and stuff during Rosetta Stoned - good times! (by the way, Rosetta Stoned Live is fucking great!) I was closer than the Oakland show, so that was cool, but getting to see/hear wings/10,000 days was the highlight. They are great and powerful on the album, but live...they are even better. Nothing short of AMAZING. My thoughts/opinions on these songs are actually limited by language itself...

Leading out of the concert with Lateralus (best song ever performed live) is an excellent idea, and I like it better than ending with Aenema.

Oh yea, to those saying "He wasnt sick the day before, and now he was for this concert...what a liar....blah blah" are you guys serious? 1) Is it not possible to get sick within 24 hours? Have you never felt ok one night and woken up feeling shitty the next morning? 2) YOU DON'T KNOW, SO DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DO. Accusing someone of lying when you have NO clue as to what the real situation is...is lame. Give me a fucking break...

Anyway, the show was fan-fucking-tastic. Loved it. Worth ever penny i spent on tickets and my girlfriends and my $500 airfare (good thing for credit cards).

Can't wait for them to come back around next year...

EDIT:: Re: the post above...Ahh the irony of telling people to "Think for yourself"... Haha. I mean, yea its true, you should think for yourself, but the guy above, or Tool TELLING you to THINK FOR YOURSELF is highly ironic. TOOL = GENIUS. Haha, fucking great.

Last edited by enklined; 09-10-2006 at 10:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #61
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post
Oh yea, to those saying "He wasnt sick the day before, and now he was for this concert...what a liar....blah blah" are you guys serious? 1) Is it not possible to get sick within 24 hours? Have you never felt ok one night and woken up feeling shitty the next morning? 2) YOU DON'T KNOW, SO DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DO. Accusing someone of lying when you have NO clue as to what the real situation is...is lame. Give me a fucking break...
Sac Boy with Credit Card: When did I say truth? I'm saying, it sounded like bullshit to me. And, I really don't care. He blamed it on traveling to BFE on Friday and blamed it on LA on Saturday.

Mr. OCD Keenan and his razor seem to have a double standard on truth. He only gives it when he thinks you deserve it. Apparently, you are not high on his list and neither is your $500.

$500? Jesus, I spent $50 and got 5 beers and I'm pissed off about that. I know, it's called Staples Center. The merchandising was a joke. "Yes, please give me that thing with four letters on it and, yes, please anal rape me and take my left nut as payment." I'm glad for you that you liked the show but, damn dude, "owned."

Gods? My only expectation for anyone is to be an honest human.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #62
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 163

Meh, you guys are right, it wasn't a very good show. *Shrugs* I tried to be postive about it, but yeah, it was kinda hollow.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

As great as the show was, after I saw the set for the next show in Phoenix, I have some constructive criticism.

I understand they're sick...but the fact is they've played under 2 hours every night so far this tour. I respectfully want to give my opinion that since they only come around every 5 years they could perhaps throw a couple more in every night?

As good as the show was, I felt like the band kinda wanted to 'just get it over with'...I base that on the sets going from short to shorter lately. Ever since they added Wings/10,00 days, they've cut Right In Two, Sober, and now Jambi. Seems to me they could just add the 17 minute tune, play the rest, and call it a night after a solid two hours...but I guess not.

No disrespect, the show was great and I got my money's worth...just a humble suggestion/opinion.

Edit:

P.S. Two things - number one, why do some people say 'fuck you, you don't know anything' anytime someone writes something less than perfect about the band? This is a discussion/OPINION board, not a church. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaax...

Also, I agree when people say to give the band a break on the minor fuckups. Entirely too many bands have half their instruments pre-programmed in sync with their click tracks these days. It's nice to know these guys pull their shit off live (99% of it) as 4 actual live human beings and not some computer assistance.

Last edited by SterileEyes; 09-10-2006 at 03:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #64

Bincount™: 271

Quote:
the guy in front of me asked me which song he thought would follow wings for marie pt. 1.
OH WOW!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDathcha View Post
I couldn't stand the security. They were rude, overzealous and needed to relax. I was 9th row center and almost got into it with a female security guard, and at the end of the show a co-worker of the guard who got in my face gave me some half-cocked warning of "if you would just mind your business you would enjoy the show more." ooooooooohhhhhhhh makes me MAAAD. Great show though!
Yeah man, that was me right behind you (10th row section two) I saw you tell security to leave you alone...and I also saw that annoying bitch bugging you for a hit of your fattie (she grabbed me 4 times during Rosetta demanding a rip of my medical bud, I had to curse at her and tell her b/f to get her to leave me the fuck alone).

But yeah back to the security thing - it's kinda hard to 'just focus on the show' when they shove you aside, shine their flashlights at people next to you, and yell and scream for them to put their weed out while they're obstructing your 10th row view that you paid damn good money for.

Fuck Staples. Don't book Tool if you don't want drugs in your venue.

Last edited by SterileEyes; 09-10-2006 at 03:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #66
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Sac Boy with Credit Card: When did I say truth? I'm saying, it sounded like bullshit to me. And, I really don't care. He blamed it on traveling to BFE on Friday and blamed it on LA on Saturday.

Mr. OCD Keenan and his razor seem to have a double standard on truth. He only gives it when he thinks you deserve it. Apparently, you are not high on his list and neither is your $500.

$500? Jesus, I spent $50 and got 5 beers and I'm pissed off about that. I know, it's called Staples Center. The merchandising was a joke. "Yes, please give me that thing with four letters on it and, yes, please anal rape me and take my left nut as payment." I'm glad for you that you liked the show but, damn dude, "owned."

Gods? My only expectation for anyone is to be an honest human.

Just re-read your post, and then mine. I apologize for coming off strong - after rereading your initial post i see that you said "if this is true, then..." My bad. I have an issue with people accusing me or others of something that isn't 100% fact...thats just me. But I see now what you and "Shane" were getting at.

Whoa, I made a mistake. I've been humanized. (ha)

Anyway, yea, when I saw the prices for the t-shirts...i was like "FUCK THAT"...spent way too much money to be there. Didnt buy a thing from the consession stands/bars (tho, a couple drinks woulda been cool, but 10 bucks for a beer and 12 for a mixed drink just isnt my thing after ive paid so much to be there).

Ended up bying a $25 poster tho. Long time fan(atic) and have not one piece of Tool paraphernalia besides the albums.

PS - SterileEyes: If youre reffering to be about saying "fuck you, you don't know anything" ....well, i didnt say fuck him :p I was just saying, if you call someone a liar, you better damn well know 100% that what you are saying is fact, with proof. If someone wasnt sick one day, but claimed they were sick the next, and calling that a lie (which i now reread, and i know thats not what was said) is...lame. Its entirely possible to get sick within 24hrs, was all i was trying to say.

Sorry! :)
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post

PS - SterileEyes: If youre reffering to be about saying "fuck you, you don't know anything" ....well, i didnt say fuck him :p I was just saying, if you call someone a liar, you better damn well know 100% that what you are saying is fact, with proof. If someone wasnt sick one day, but claimed they were sick the next, and calling that a lie (which i now reread, and i know thats not what was said) is...lame. Its entirely possible to get sick within 24hrs, was all i was trying to say.

Sorry! :)

Hahaha no man not you...I have read pretty much every review of the tour on this site so far in anticipation for the other night, and I have noticed there are certain 'facist nazis' lurking on TDN that just don't seem to tolerate any opinion of the band other than 'wow that was the most perfect magestic experience of my existance and tool are flawless GODS'.

Since I am of the opinion that they should be playing much longer sets since A: They're good enough/people want them to play longer, and B: they only come every 5 years...I wrote that P.S. part because I realized that by posting something less than perfect about the band I might be subjected to some of those 'facists'...you're not one of them, WE COOL ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #68
On Probation

Bincount™: 68

10,000 Days was a treat I'd been hoping for and I'm glad I got to see it performed.

The closing Lateralus was the best I've ever heard it, I was amazed afterwards and still am.

Best show I've been too.

However, I noticed that they were practically having you spread your ass cheeks for them for merch. That was pretty low. The shirts should've been $15, twenty at most. Instead, they were practically three times that. Total bullshit.

I saw some limited edition shirt for $60. For shit's sake, it's a fucking shirt and the picture isn't even that great. I could make a better Tool shirt with a sharpie and a Hanes undershirt. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape

I'm happy to say I didn't buy a shirt.

Last edited by Vecromatica; 09-10-2006 at 06:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

We bought bootleg shirts outside the venue. Surprisingly decent quality.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new dimension_disposition View Post
i had a great time. i was too drunk to noticed all of the flaws that have been mentioned. my only recomendation, have some beer and little shit like adam's and danny's timing being off on an intro will become meaningless. if you want flawless music, go to the hollywood bowl and listen to the orchestra play ludwig's 9th.

PS: I wasn't too drunk to notice the $43 price tag on t shirts. no, no, it's not about the money, only about the music, the art---fucken spare me danny carey!
Most people are unaware of the fact that venues take anywhere from 40 - 50% of the merch sales. That's why the prices are ridicously high. Tool is eating most of their profits from their new CD because of packaging costs. Most bands make most of their money on tour from merch sales. It's unfortunate that the venues feel the need to take 40 - 50% of the merch sales when they are charging $20 for parking, $4 for a bottle of water, etc.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #71
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Haha, yea SterileEyes, I agree. Fuck, would be awesome if they played for 2.5hrs or something. Really, thats the only complaint I have. 1.5-1.75hrs just...leaves me wanting more!

Needless to say, tho, those 90-115 minutes ROCK. Good times, defiantely.

Yea, I was very disappointed with the prices of shirts and shit. Saw a zip up hoodie (love hoodies, havent had one since high school tho), then I saw the price...$70? "You must have been out your mind."

Anal rape with no lube.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #72
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oar View Post
i think the sick comment was a joke, he always bags on la

i nabbed the setlist, we got screwed a slight bit. opiate was to be played, after schism and before vicarious. no idea why they skipped it, but the band did have a bigt of a chat after 46+2 with roadies etc.i have pics of it, will upload shortly.
Yea dude, they were chatting quite abit after a couple songs. At the Oakland show, there was no bandmember interaction at all.

Also, at one point, when MJK walked over to talk to Danny, I saw him shaking his head. This had me a bit worried, as I was anticipating wings/10k days the whole night, and was thinking he was telling his bandmates they weren't going to play it (those songs were the #1 reason i flew from sac to la spontaniously).

Post those pics when you get a chance, and maybe a pic of the setlist? How'd you get a holdof that anyway?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #73
Level 8 - Vociferous

Usually you can just ask the guy at the soundboard, or someone from the crew on the stage after the show. I've got a few setlists that way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #74
oar
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah ill try to get those pics of the setlists uploaded shortly.

also, forogt to mention this, not sure if anyone else noticed. i was row 3 pit, and adam and maynard were wearing fake moustaches for the entire show. i imagine it was some kind of joke since they were playing la two nights in a row, like "well we better look a bit different for the same city". i enjoyed it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #75

Bincount™: 271

Quote:

also, forogt to mention this, not sure if anyone else noticed. i was row 3 pit, and adam and maynard were wearing fake moustaches for the entire show. i imagine it was some kind of joke since they were playing la two nights in a row, like "well we better look a bit different for the same city". i enjoyed it.

THAT.................IS...............AWESOME!!!!
Thanks for sharing that!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacement View Post
Most people are unaware of the fact that venues take anywhere from 40 - 50% of the merch sales. That's why the prices are ridicously high. Tool is eating most of their profits from their new CD because of packaging costs. Most bands make most of their money on tour from merch sales. It's unfortunate that the venues feel the need to take 40 - 50% of the merch sales when they are charging $20 for parking, $4 for a bottle of water, etc.
No, i didn't know that. but lets take a closer look.

if they sell them for $30 dollars (a price i'll be willing to pay), that means the venue and the band each gets $15. Now, do you really think they wont make a profit at $15 - YES, THEY BOTH WILL! the dudes outside the venue make a profit at $10. i realize the quality is a bit sub, but please get the point.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #77
Level 4 - Thinker

This show sucked compared to the other tool shows I have been to. I posted a really good opinion on here yesterday, but for some odd reason it has been removed. I guess it did not follow the standard guidlines of "TOOL is the greatest band ever man. My life is now complete. I will eat the bands shit and drink their piss." You know, the usual crap that people write. Sorry Kabir and croonies if it was not up to your standards. Anyways, i am back in Dallas can't wait to see them on Thurs. I am a little concerned about my seats though. They are located directly behind the stage in a row that doesnt exist. Has anyone ever run into this situation?

- Benjamin Franklin
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecromatica View Post
10,000 Days was a treat I'd been hoping for and I'm glad I got to see it performed.

The closing Lateralus was the best I've ever heard it, I was amazed afterwards and still am.

Best show I've been too.

However, I noticed that they were practically having you spread your ass cheeks for them for merch. That was pretty low. The shirts should've been $15, twenty at most. Instead, they were practically three times that. Total bullshit.

I saw some limited edition shirt for $60. For shit's sake, it's a fucking shirt and the picture isn't even that great. I could make a better Tool shirt with a sharpie and a Hanes undershirt. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape

I'm happy to say I didn't buy a shirt.

Do you attend concerts on a regular basis? It would appear many of you rarely go to shows. Concert shirts by my estimation have been in the $35-50 range for the last 5...8...years. My t__l shirt from coachella cost 40.....

I wouldnt ever by a bootleg shirt, thats totally retarded, those people selling those shirts are just bottom feeders making a dime off the band.

I would have plopped down my hard earned $$$ for shirt but most the designs werent that interesting or were derivative of whats already out there. I didnt see the limited edition one......what did it look like?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Yea, I noticed Maynards, but didnt notice Adams O_o and he was a lot closer to me than MJK.

Anyway, yea, I found that pretty funny.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #80
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
We bought bootleg shirts outside the venue. Surprisingly decent quality.
Us too. And I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. I've bought all Tool's records, several on-the-level T-shirts (at shows and elsewhere), and tickets to six of their shows. I kind of feel entitled to buy a bootleg shirt if I want one.

A question: Does Tool want their fans to never get laid so they have more time to listen to Tool? All the shirts (aside from a couple bootlegs) look like total prog-rock geek shit. Why don't they just sell King Crimson shirts and Azia posters at their shows? For forty dollars, I mean. Forty . . . dollars.

And I can't believe Isis has the testicular fortitude to charge the same prices for their merch. Unbelievable. "Yes, I'd like the $70 hoodie of the opening band, please."
<ru5ty> wat
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: