Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
08.22.09 - Pomona, CA @ Epicenter Fest

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
afsocwes
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Went to the show to see Alice in Chains. I have seen the 10.00 days show 6 times. This was the same. Videos at the begining were messed up. Sound was fair for a outdoor show. With some driop outs. Maynard was on crutches. Look like his left leg was hurt.

What I saw of the show it was the same old set list.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.22.09 - Pomona, CA @ Epicenter Fest

Went to the show to see Alice in Chains. I have seen the 10.00 days show 6 times. This was the same. Videos at the begining were messed up. Sound was fair for a outdoor show. With some driop outs. Maynard was on crutches. Look like his left leg was hurt.

What I saw of the show it was the same old set list.
OFFLINE |  
viperz99
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Set List was the same as the rest of the shows. Maynard fucked up his leg and must have been on something because I have never heard him in the 15 shows Ive been to be so friendly and talk so much. He apologized twice and thanked us twice. Very odd. I was dead center way back and the sound was great. They muddled through stinkfist and parts of Jambi but after that were flawless in my opinion.

You want TOOL you got too. No more whining about setlists, this show was like a perfectly put together cake. He came out on crutches and used them like guns during the opening to Jambi.
I actually felt bad for Maynard, trying to support himself hold a megaphone and at times, keyboard.
He said " Nothing personal" before Aenima for us Southern Californians. Also at the beginning apologized about his leg and said that he wasnt gonna be an egotistical asshole rock star and not show up. There were the normal teases of Prison Sex and Wings but if you know Tool, you get what you get and that is fucking awesome.

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 and 2
Schism with a sick fast middle
Rosetta Stoned with Maynard obviously making up lyrics
Flood
Aenima
Lateralis
Vicarious with a sick intro.

Great night, cool crowd, lots of dope. Peace
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Set List was the same as the rest of the shows. Maynard fucked up his leg and must have been on something because I have never heard him in the 15 shows Ive been to be so friendly and talk so much. He apologized twice and thanked us twice. Very odd. I was dead center way back and the sound was great. They muddled through stinkfist and parts of Jambi but after that were flawless in my opinion.

You want TOOL you got too. No more whining about setlists, this show was like a perfectly put together cake. He came out on crutches and used them like guns during the opening to Jambi.
I actually felt bad for Maynard, trying to support himself hold a megaphone and at times, keyboard.
He said " Nothing personal" before Aenima for us Southern Californians. Also at the beginning apologized about his leg and said that he wasnt gonna be an egotistical asshole rock star and not show up. There were the normal teases of Prison Sex and Wings but if you know Tool, you get what you get and that is fucking awesome.

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 and 2
Schism with a sick fast middle
Rosetta Stoned with Maynard obviously making up lyrics
Flood
Aenima
Lateralis
Vicarious with a sick intro.

Great night, cool crowd, lots of dope. Peace
OFFLINE |  
z0mbie
08-23-2009, 12:23 AM

Yep... I got to bring two tool show virgins... the festival thing is not ideal but I pretty much sat out Wolfmother (sounded good - very Sabathy), AIC (did a good job IMO), Linkin Park... and then made my way about dead center of the crowd. I had the same thought - Maynard might have been on a couple of percosets or something. He was in good spirits considering an obvious injury and the band was generally tight and fuckin' rocked. Long day but not a disapointment at all...
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Yep... I got to bring two tool show virgins... the festival thing is not ideal but I pretty much sat out Wolfmother (sounded good - very Sabathy), AIC (did a good job IMO), Linkin Park... and then made my way about dead center of the crowd. I had the same thought - Maynard might have been on a couple of percosets or something. He was in good spirits considering an obvious injury and the band was generally tight and fuckin' rocked. Long day but not a disapointment at all...
OFFLINE |  
SJC91's Avatar SJC91
08-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Show was flawless but I wanted to mention one thing non-Tool related. What the hell was the lead singer of Linkin Park thinking when he brought out his band? The boos were ridiculously rude but seriously...that was a stupid move. They were horrible. They should have played earlier in the day on the smaller stage. I did not boo them. I felt horrible for him. Then someone had the nerve to throw a waterbottle at their keyboard. Im so glad everyone acted better for Tool.

Maynardisms: Before the sped up part in Schism "Stop. Drop and roll."

I THINK after Jambi: "In advance I want to apologize. I hurt my leg and any other pretentious lead singer would have canceled the show...but I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to get drunk and push each other around. All I ask for...IS YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENTTTTT" *i think thats how it went*

Before Aenima: "Its nothing personal."

I scored a signed poster...I waited ALL DAY for it. I was the second person to buy it. When I asked later on the merch people said they sold out within an hour. It was worth the wait.
AND THEY DID tease A Passage to Bangkok before Rosetta Stoned. I started jumping for joy... LITERALLY and then when they broke into Rosetta Stoned I started stomping in anger lol

Last edited by SJC91; 08-23-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Show was flawless but I wanted to mention one thing non-Tool related. What the hell was the lead singer of Linkin Park thinking when he brought out his band? The boos were ridiculously rude but seriously...that was a stupid move. They were horrible. They should have played earlier in the day on the smaller stage. I did not boo them. I felt horrible for him. Then someone had the nerve to throw a waterbottle at their keyboard. Im so glad everyone acted better for Tool.

Maynardisms: Before the sped up part in Schism "Stop. Drop and roll."

I THINK after Jambi: "In advance I want to apologize. I hurt my leg and any other pretentious lead singer would have canceled the show...but I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to get drunk and push each other around. All I ask for...IS YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENTTTTT" *i think thats how it went*

Before Aenima: "Its nothing personal."

I scored a signed poster...I waited ALL DAY for it. I was the second person to buy it. When I asked later on the merch people said they sold out within an hour. It was worth the wait.
AND THEY DID tease A Passage to Bangkok before Rosetta Stoned. I started jumping for joy... LITERALLY and then when they broke into Rosetta Stoned I started stomping in anger lol

Last edited by SJC91; 08-23-2009 at 12:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Metamorphose
08-23-2009, 01:24 AM

"god kicked me in the balls"
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

"god kicked me in the balls"
OFFLINE |  
Lestat
08-23-2009, 11:22 AM

seen tool at least 30 times, this one was the worst, but not because of the band.

I stood fairly far back because I was in the front row for the New Jersey show. I wanted to see the lazers and lights.

The sound was terrible with different parts dropping out constantly. It was really ridiculous, embarassing for the event.

The lazers were subdued because it was an outdoor venue, but they did use every tree, lamp post, and building in sight to block the lazer path and let some go during certain parts, that was cool and obviously took some meticulous coordination.

Maynard was very chatty, my first thought was that he was on some opiate painkillers due to the injury, he's never just rambled on like that in a candid fashion.

Setlist was the same as usual, but that does not bother me. The band didn't rehears any new material or any older songs for this summer tour stint. They worked on a cover, but apparently didn't get it fully worked out in time. Think about it, they really only have the brief sound checks in order to rehearse, when else would they practice?

Video coordination is great with the music, but I miss a lot of the old videos. The live action stuff, now it seems like its all CGI.

Justin came out playing Jambi like a madman, he was REALLY into it.

I also thought it was lame Chester hijacked the Linkin Park show for his "side project" everyone has one or two of them these days, its bad form to haul them on stage in the middle of your primary band's set.

I hope Tool gets out on the road again soon, but only after working on some new material.

I got a signed poster too! 89/500.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

seen tool at least 30 times, this one was the worst, but not because of the band.

I stood fairly far back because I was in the front row for the New Jersey show. I wanted to see the lazers and lights.

The sound was terrible with different parts dropping out constantly. It was really ridiculous, embarassing for the event.

The lazers were subdued because it was an outdoor venue, but they did use every tree, lamp post, and building in sight to block the lazer path and let some go during certain parts, that was cool and obviously took some meticulous coordination.

Maynard was very chatty, my first thought was that he was on some opiate painkillers due to the injury, he's never just rambled on like that in a candid fashion.

Setlist was the same as usual, but that does not bother me. The band didn't rehears any new material or any older songs for this summer tour stint. They worked on a cover, but apparently didn't get it fully worked out in time. Think about it, they really only have the brief sound checks in order to rehearse, when else would they practice?

Video coordination is great with the music, but I miss a lot of the old videos. The live action stuff, now it seems like its all CGI.

I also thought it was lame Chester hijacked the Linkin Park show for his "side project" everyone has one or two of them these days, its bad form to haul them on stage in the middle of your primary band's set.

I hope Tool gets out on the road again soon, but only after working on some new material.

OFFLINE |  
TOOLFAN72
08-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Adam Jones is SICK, Danny Carey is not human, Maynard didn't come out and sing with A.I.C. because he was on crutches and we are LUCKY we got to see TOOL at all, let alone play as well as they did (in my opinion the "opiates" that Maynard was on allowed us to see a different side of him) and Justin Chancellor was way into it and kicking ass as usual.

As for the set list complaint posts......are you serious? You know what to expect reading all of the concert reviews and if that bothers you....stay home. If you came to perhaps see something different and you didn't get it are you REALLY that upset with what you got to see? If you are that sucks for you!!

TOOL is THE MOST intelligent Rock band to have graced this earth with their presence. Is it not possible to just be happy with the fact that you all got to see that live? I know I am. TOOL is the BEST!!!

RIDE THE SPIRAL TO THE END IT MAY JUST GO WHERE NO ONE'S BEEN!! Peace out!!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Adam Jones is SICK, Danny Carey is not human, Maynard didn't come out and sing with A.I.C. because he was on crutches and we are LUCKY we got to see TOOL at all, let alone play as well as they did (in my opinion the "opiates" that Maynard was on allowed us to see a different side of him) and Justin Chancellor was way into it and kicking ass as usual.

As for the set list complaint posts......are you serious? You know what to expect reading all of the concert reviews and if that bothers you....stay home. If you came to perhaps see something different and you didn't get it are you REALLY that upset with what you got to see? If you are that sucks for you!!

TOOL is THE MOST intelligent Rock band to have graced this earth with their presence. Is it not possible to just be happy with the fact that you all got to see that live? I know I am. TOOL is the BEST!!!

RIDE THE SPIRAL TO THE END IT MAY JUST GO WHERE NO ONE'S BEEN!! Peace out!!
OFFLINE |  
SpiralingDown
08-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post

My thoughts exactly, couldn't have reviewed it better myself.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post

My thoughts exactly, couldn't have reviewed it better myself.
OFFLINE |  
ElMaestro's Avatar ElMaestro
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM

My 8th Tool show. The last one was the Nokia Theater show in December 2007 with the same setlist but they had that intermission where they did this crazy lazer lightshow in between songs. Was disappointing they didn't have that this time around.

I felt a tension between Linkin Park and Tool fans. The bands are so different in their material and stage presence that it doesn't surprise me. I personally don't mind LP too much but their set just dragged on forever. And when they brought out Chester's side project I was totally over it and didn't even pay attention. How can I be expected to when Tool is up next? A bunch of young high schoolers were leaving after LP finished. Thank God for that!

Alice in Chains killed it...people were really into Man in the Box and especially Rooster. I didn't expect that.

Maynard on crutches just made me laugh....did you see when he threw them down during Rosetta Stoned? It was probably why he didn't strip down to his speedo. Probably pretty hard to do that with a busted leg.

Yeah they really need to change up the setlist. I probably won't see them again until they do. As much as I love a Tool show its getting a bit stale. I saw them with my best friend/roommate who had just saw them at Lollapalooza and a lady friend who only saw them once at Street Scene and her experience was ruined by boob grabbing....hate it when that happens!

Flood was siiiiiiiiiiiick! One of my new fav's. Often overlooked when I play their music.

At one point something by Justin caught on fire for like 2 seconds and it went out. Not sure it was part of the show?

To all the people complaining about their performances: If you have seen ANY band 10, 20, 30 times over the years they are bound to lose some of their fire and passion for what they do. They seem like they have no direction at the moment. They've plateued so to speak. They've already built a massive cult following. Now whats next? Imagine doing the same job over and over for that long. Do you put the same amount of effort into what you do that you did when you first started? I don't mind if they are gone for a long time so long as they come back with something fresh and new for us! We are starving for more!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

My 8th Tool show. The last one was the Nokia Theater show in December 2007 with the same setlist but they had that intermission where they did this crazy lazer lightshow in between songs. Was disappointing they didn't have that this time around.

I felt a tension between Linkin Park and Tool fans. The bands are so different in their material and stage presence that it doesn't surprise me. I personally don't mind LP too much but their set just dragged on forever. And when they brought out Chester's side project I was totally over it and didn't even pay attention. How can I be expected to when Tool is up next? A bunch of young high schoolers were leaving after LP finished. Thank God for that!

Alice in Chains killed it...people were really into Man in the Box and especially Rooster. I didn't expect that.

Maynard on crutches just made me laugh....did you see when he threw them down during Rosetta Stoned? It was probably why he didn't strip down to his speedo. Probably pretty hard to do that with a busted leg.

Yeah they really need to change up the setlist. I probably won't see them again until they do. As much as I love a Tool show its getting a bit stale. I saw them with my best friend/roommate who had just saw them at Lollapalooza and a lady friend who only saw them once at Street Scene and her experience was ruined by boob grabbing....hate it when that happens!

Flood was siiiiiiiiiiiick! One of my new fav's. Often overlooked when I play their music.

At one point something by Justin caught on fire for like 2 seconds and it went out. Not sure it was part of the show?

To all the people complaining about their performances: If you have seen ANY band 10, 20, 30 times over the years they are bound to lose some of their fire and passion for what they do. They seem like they have no direction at the moment. They've plateued so to speak. They've already built a massive cult following. Now whats next? Imagine doing the same job over and over for that long. Do you put the same amount of effort into what you do that you did when you first started? I don't mind if they are gone for a long time so long as they come back with something fresh and new for us! We are starving for more!
OFFLINE |  
MFF0RD6
08-23-2009, 02:54 PM

a few thoughts: i thought the sound was awesome. we were center 20 feet or so in front of soundboard. visually, a truly epic display. lasers!

musically, pretty tight except a major flub in jambi. they're human. thrilled to hear aenima as it had been since staples 06 i had last seen it live. lateralus was song of the night, nice jam at the end - no guest appearance on drums or cantrell/morello on guitar.

loved AIC, linkin park were terrible but i thought chester's side project wasn't quite as bad. missed wolfmother due to traffic. epicenter rocked, 'nuff said.
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

a few thoughts: i thought the sound was awesome. we were center 20 feet or so in front of soundboard. visually, a truly epic display. lasers!

musically, pretty tight except a major flub in jambi. they're human. thrilled to hear aenima as it had been since staples 06 i had last seen it live. lateralus was song of the night, nice jam at the end - no guest appearance on drums or cantrell/morello on guitar.

loved AIC, linkin park were terrible but i thought chester's side project wasn't quite as bad. missed wolfmother due to traffic. epicenter rocked, 'nuff said.
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
unlovbl
08-23-2009, 03:50 PM

A few corrections and observatios to what's already been posted...

-Maynard's line was ""In advance I want to apologize. I hurt my leg and any other pretentious lead singer SUCH AS MYSELF would have canceled the show..."

-There were no audio dropouts. The sound was fine about 50 feet in front of the lights/soundboard. The audio "dropouts" people were experiencing was the effect of the wind countering the waves coming out of the speakers. The wind was blowing towards the stage and canceling some of the sound... thus the perceived dropouts. Such is the price to pay when seeing a show this huge.

-I agree with the poster about Linkin Park's singer's side project. WTF was that all about?!?! I'm actually shocked that the rest of the band were willing to walk off stage so this side project thing could play. What a TERRIBLE decision. I was actually getting into their gig (not being a Linkin Park fan, myself) until that happened. I suspect that this will be brought up as a dumbass move on their part when they're in the midst of band feuding and threatening to break up in a few years.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

A few corrections and observatios to what's already been posted...

-Maynard's line was ""In advance I want to apologize. I hurt my leg and any other pretentious lead singer SUCH AS MYSELF would have canceled the show..."

-There were no audio dropouts. The sound was fine about 50 feet in front of the lights/soundboard. The audio "dropouts" people were experiencing was the effect of the wind countering the waves coming out of the speakers. The wind was blowing towards the stage and canceling some of the sound... thus the perceived dropouts. Such is the price to pay when seeing a show this huge.

-I agree with the poster about Linkin Park's singer's side project. WTF was that all about?!?! I'm actually shocked that the rest of the band were willing to walk off stage so this side project thing could play. What a TERRIBLE decision. I was actually getting into their gig (not being a Linkin Park fan, myself) until that happened. I suspect that this will be brought up as a dumbass move on their part when they're in the midst of band feuding and threatening to break up in a few years.
OFFLINE |  
Alice.L
08-23-2009, 06:04 PM

This was the first Tool concert, or really rock concert period, that I've been to. I liked Alice in Chains beforehand, and I even liked Linkin Park... I mean, they at least look like they're trying hard.

Tool was great; I experienced no audio problems. As my boyfriend and I were heading up to "get drunk and run into people" just after Linkin Park left, a couple of people got all weird about us having stepped in front of them and ruining their perfect vantage points... haha, well, vantage points didn't much matter by the time the music started. We'd been pushed all the way up to the front of some moshing by the gate. By that point, I hope no one was feeling snooty about their vantage point considering we were all one horseshit-scented pulsating mass pushing against itself for awhile there, and isn't that fun enough? :P

Although, even though I had fun doing that, and enjoyed all the stuff a lot- the music, the trippy visuals, the jumping around and yelling with people, the morphing/evolving face in the background, the stars, what lasers I could see, etc., I do have one question- Does Tool hate short people? D:

Nah, I know they aren't haters. But there were no cameras on the band! And I know they are certainly not about image. But I'm a short girl, and I had to have my boyfriend lift me up for a few moments anytime I actually wanted to see them PERFORM. So that was a downer. Maybe they dislike showing off their temples pouring out their souls too much, but it's just part of performing, I think. I want to see others' bodies dance around for my amusement! (Or play air guitar on a crutch, haha.) It's a part of the visceral experience. In a rock concert, we worship y'all, you worship us, quid pro quo, right?

My favorite part of the experience was actually the stars though... I'd imagined the neon one much larger and in different colors... but the fact they HAD one was great; it's just what I wanted. Does anyone know if there is a geometrical significance?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the first Tool concert, or really rock concert period, that I've been to. I liked Alice in Chains beforehand, and I even liked Linkin Park... I mean, they at least look like they're trying hard.

Tool was great; I experienced no audio problems. As my boyfriend and I were heading up to "get drunk and run into people" just after Linkin Park left, a couple of people got all weird about us having stepped in front of them and ruining their perfect vantage points... haha, well, vantage points didn't much matter by the time the music started. We'd been pushed all the way up to the front of some moshing by the gate. By that point, I hope no one was feeling snooty about their vantage point considering we were all one horseshit-scented pulsating mass pushing against itself for awhile there, and isn't that fun enough? :P

Although, even though I had fun doing that, and enjoyed all the stuff a lot- the music, the trippy visuals, the jumping around and yelling with people, the morphing/evolving face in the background, the stars, what lasers I could see, etc., I do have one question- Does Tool hate short people? D:

Nah, I know they aren't haters. But there were no cameras on the band! And I know they are certainly not about image. But I'm a short girl, and I had to have my boyfriend lift me up for a few moments anytime I actually wanted to see them PERFORM. So that was a downer. Maybe they dislike showing off their temples pouring out their souls too much, but it's just part of performing, I think. I want to see others' bodies dance around for my amusement! (Or play air guitar on a crutch, haha.) It's a part of the visceral experience. In a rock concert, we worship y'all, you worship us, quid pro quo, right?

My favorite part of the experience was actually the stars though... I'd imagined the neon one much larger and in different colors... but the fact they HAD one was great; it's just what I wanted. Does anyone know if there is a geometrical significance?
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM

" As for the set list complaint posts......are you serious? You know what to expect reading all of the concert reviews and if that bothers you....stay home. If you came to perhaps see something different and you didn't get it are you REALLY that upset with what you got to see? If you are that sucks for you!! "

Just to say I love Tool. Since the first time I saw them in 94 in Texas. And would go see them tommorow if I could. But they are a band. Not a play or an act. Can you imagine going to see any other band. And they played the same 8 songs. In the same order. For every show for almost half a decade?

People will love Tool no matter what they play. And if you only go to just to go to one show a tour. You will be fine.

But would it kill them to play Relection instead of Lateralus? Sober instead of Flood? Or like when I saw them in Florida they threw in Ticks And Leeches.

Thats all I am saying.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

" As for the set list complaint posts......are you serious? You know what to expect reading all of the concert reviews and if that bothers you....stay home. If you came to perhaps see something different and you didn't get it are you REALLY that upset with what you got to see? If you are that sucks for you!! "

Just to say I love Tool. Since the first time I saw them in 94 in Texas. And would go see them tommorow if I could. But they are a band. Not a play or an act. Can you imagine going to see any other band. And they played the same 8 songs. In the same order. For every show for almost half a decade?

People will love Tool no matter what they play. And if you only go to just to go to one show a tour. You will be fine.

But would it kill them to play Relection instead of Lateralus? Sober instead of Flood? Or like when I saw them in Florida they threw in Ticks And Leeches.

Thats all I am saying.
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
08-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Also I would like to say something about Chester Benningtons side project. Dead by Sunrise

When the drummer threw his sticks in the crowd. This was my first show I have ever been to. Where the person who caught one of the sticks. Threw it right back at the drummer.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Also I would like to say something about Chester Benningtons side project. Dead by Sunrise

When the drummer threw his sticks in the crowd. This was my first show I have ever been to. Where the person who caught one of the sticks. Threw it right back at the drummer.
OFFLINE |  
BGnight
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Good show!

Last edited by BGnight; 08-24-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Good show!

Last edited by BGnight; 08-24-2009 at 01:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
darthchingon
08-24-2009, 04:25 AM

tool was ok, same show i saw the last 3 times. didnt even bother hoping they would play something different. linkin park was torture, i never wanted anything to be over more, than that ass brought out his other band, what the hell was that, like it wasnt torture enough. when walking in the gate they had posters of chesters other band taped to the ground, ok, than i had to piss, above the urinals had the same poster, wtf, than walking around someone passed me a flyer for them, alrite already..oh, oh, than there was a plane with a banner promoting the band too. WTFF. than he actually has the balls to have his new band play before tool? WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK? i have never been so fucking force fed in my life.(i dont even want to say the name of the band just to be sure i dont promote them too...anyways highlight of the whole concert..alice in chains! they fucking stole the show. big time.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

tool was ok, same show i saw the last 3 times. didnt even bother hoping they would play something different. linkin park was torture, i never wanted anything to be over more, than that ass brought out his other band, what the hell was that, like it wasnt torture enough. when walking in the gate they had posters of chesters other band taped to the ground, ok, than i had to piss, above the urinals had the same poster, wtf, than walking around someone passed me a flyer for them, alrite already..oh, oh, than there was a plane with a banner promoting the band too. WTFF. than he actually has the balls to have his new band play before tool? WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK? i have never been so fucking force fed in my life.(i dont even want to say the name of the band just to be sure i dont promote them too...anyways highlight of the whole concert..alice in chains! they fucking stole the show. big time.
OFFLINE |  
markuspoop
08-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Show was good. Really enjoyed AIC, to my suprised actually enjoyed most of Linkin Park (suprised no one mentioned how the power just went out during their set which was very funny) but also gotta agree with everyone else about Chester running his side-project out there. No one wanted to hear them, and while I wasn't one of the boo-ers (though I did yell out Boo-urns a few times), I can understand why people would boo and throw stuff.

Maynard didn't seem anymore talkative than usual, to me. Shit he didn't even say anything like "see ya next time" or anything like that before Vicarious. I definitely didn't suspect him to be on any drugs.

Justin absolutely killed on Flood (especially the beginning).

I really enjoyed the little bit before Rosetta Stoned, which I guess was Passage To Bankok, and it killed. Was also nice to see the "regular" version of Lateralus and the OTR Schism with the breakdown in the middle killed, as usual.

All in all, a good show. #10 for me and #8 for my lady friend/special lady. Also enjoyed getting out of the parking lot within 15 minutes after the show and being home 10 minutes after that.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Show was good. Really enjoyed AIC, to my suprised actually enjoyed most of Linkin Park (suprised no one mentioned how the power just went out during their set which was very funny) but also gotta agree with everyone else about Chester running his side-project out there. No one wanted to hear them, and while I wasn't one of the boo-ers (though I did yell out Boo-urns a few times), I can understand why people would boo and throw stuff.

Maynard didn't seem anymore talkative than usual, to me. Shit he didn't even say anything like "see ya next time" or anything like that before Vicarious. I definitely didn't suspect him to be on any drugs.

Justin absolutely killed on Flood (especially the beginning).

I really enjoyed the little bit before Rosetta Stoned, which I guess was Passage To Bankok, and it killed. Was also nice to see the "regular" version of Lateralus and the OTR Schism with the breakdown in the middle killed, as usual.

All in all, a good show. #10 for me and #8 for my lady friend/special lady. Also enjoyed getting out of the parking lot within 15 minutes after the show and being home 10 minutes after that.
OFFLINE |  
jokerfit
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM

the fans at this show were ridiculous.
I saw these marines booing the words of tom morrello hahaha but then that was expected.
Chanting tool while linkin park was going was dumb.
Never seen linkin park but i was blown away (other than the wtf are you doing bringing your side band out?)

Loved the fact i don't know maynard personally but i believe his whole crutches stint was a slap in the face of Aerosmith who canceled their last leg of the tour due to a sprained ankle ahah.

Last Alice In Chains killed that show, my god i was blown away.
It was cool watching Danny and Justin head banging to AIC.

Last edited by jokerfit; 08-24-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

the fans at this show were ridiculous.
I saw these marines booing the words of tom morrello hahaha but then that was expected.
Chanting tool while linkin park was going was dumb.
Never seen linkin park but i was blown away (other than the wtf are you doing bringing your side band out?)

Loved the fact i don't know maynard personally but i believe his whole crutches stint was a slap in the face of Aerosmith who canceled their last leg of the tour due to a sprained ankle ahah.

Last Alice In Chains killed that show, my god i was blown away.
It was cool watching Danny and Justin head banging to AIC.

Last edited by jokerfit; 08-24-2009 at 02:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerfit View Post

it wasnt. He he didnt just have a sprained ankle, he broke a collar bone, broken shoulder, and about bleed to death.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerfit View Post

it wasnt. He he didnt just have a sprained ankle, he broke a collar bone, broken shoulder, and about bleed to death.
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM

First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

I just saw Tool at Lollapalooza and again here.

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 08-24-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 08-24-2009 at 04:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bignico187
08-24-2009, 06:37 PM

okay. maynard came out in crutches.. holding them like machine guns as jambi started.. justin came out first. maynard sounded really well to me.. maybe because he wasnt moving around, as he was injured. some idiots started a fire to my right during schism... and right before they sped the song up maynard said, "stop, drop, and roll." we all knew what the setlist was going to be, so no real need to gripe. it was a bad ass show. didnt like how maynard put the mic out to the fans at the end of vicarious, should have finished it himself (vicariously, i, ..). every festival with tool, that i've been to, the crowd boos the band that comes out before tool.. however im sure its just because the people want their band. morello was there, alice in chains did theirs, was standing next to randy jackson during sonny.. twas funny. weed was there, holding hands with you and them.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

okay. maynard came out in crutches.. holding them like machine guns as jambi started.. justin came out first. maynard sounded really well to me.. maybe because he wasnt moving around, as he was injured. some idiots started a fire to my right during schism... and right before they sped the song up maynard said, "stop, drop, and roll." we all knew what the setlist was going to be, so no real need to gripe. it was a bad ass show. didnt like how maynard put the mic out to the fans at the end of vicarious, should have finished it himself (vicariously, i, ..). every festival with tool, that i've been to, the crowd boos the band that comes out before tool.. however im sure its just because the people want their band. morello was there, alice in chains did theirs, was standing next to randy jackson during sonny.. twas funny. weed was there, holding hands with you and them.
OFFLINE |  
BlovesTool
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Wow, my first show and I think it rocked! Can't believe I've been listening to this dynamic music for over a decade w/out being able to see them prior to this event...so glad I finally got my chance & Maynard made sure it didn't get screwed up (unlike other pretentious vocalists may have...and have many times) - I think it showed a different "side" of Maynard, as someone else mentioned. If I had missed this chance to see them again, I don't know what I would have done! I don't have any problem appreciating the extra effort from Maynard; with all the "showmanship" they put on, who needs the band members running around on stage anyway?! THANKS MAYNARD!!! THANKS DANNY!!! THANKS JUSTIN!!! THANKS ADAM!!! THANKS FANS FOR KEEPING THEM GOING. P.S. Alice in Chains kicked a_ _ too!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow, my first show and I think it rocked! Can't believe I've been listening to this dynamic music for over a decade w/out being able to see them prior to this event...so glad I finally got my chance & Maynard made sure it didn't get screwed up (unlike other pretentious vocalists may have...and have many times) - I think it showed a different "side" of Maynard, as someone else mentioned. If I had missed this chance to see them again, I don't know what I would have done! I don't have any problem appreciating the extra effort from Maynard; with all the "showmanship" they put on, who needs the band members running around on stage anyway?! THANKS MAYNARD!!! THANKS DANNY!!! THANKS JUSTIN!!! THANKS ADAM!!! THANKS FANS FOR KEEPING THEM GOING. P.S. Alice in Chains kicked a_ _ too!
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Well this was the last show of this small tour and i am greatful to have been there among some great people. What can i say about the show other than it was another great performance from the guys.

First of all i'm glad MJK stuck it out and performed regardless of his injury. This was the first time this summer i was able to stand semi-close to the stage on ADAMS side (thank you LP fans for making room). I think it was one of the best shows they put on that i had a chance to see. Danny and Justin are beyond words and am always kicked in the soul watching them play.

The set was great but i always fall into this place when RS/Flood/Aenima & Lateralus are played.

I know everyone has complained about the setlist but as i take it is that it's a very interesting story they are telling from the first track until the lst song is played even maynard stripping down to almost nothing midway lateralus.

I've read at what people have thought the meanings of the songs including my own interpretation and the story comes full circle to me at least. I think alot of people haven't caught that due to just focusing on the songs and not remembering the meanings behind them. I will write my thoughts on that later.

The whole day was an amazing experience and i'm glad i was part of it. From the meetup to catching Wolfmother, AIC was just AMAZING!!! Miss you Layne but i'm glad the guys are still playing. We need these bands around to keep the B***S*** bands in check. On to LP though not a fan i still think it should've been LP then AIC followed by TOOL to end the night but that's just me.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next album but i'm sure it will be another masterpiece IMO.

So THANKS AGAIN to TOOL for the great show & a HUGE THANKS to the one and only Junior for the light show i'm pretty sure there was a bit more at this last one than the others so thanks for that Jr.

i got to see & talk to Blair for a bit and even snagged a pic (he doesn't like to smile said his girlfriend) see you at the VOLTO! shows.

I'll end this with a see you at the next one. So take care of yourselves and like MJK said "Look after each other"

Spiral Out,
gnjasmkr
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Well this was the last show of this small tour and i am greatful to have been there among some great people. What can i say about the show other than it was another great performance from the guys.

First of all i'm glad MJK stuck it out and performed regardless of his injury. This was the first time this summer i was able to stand semi-close to the stage on ADAMS side (thank you LP fans for making room). I think it was one of the best shows they put on that i had a chance to see. Danny and Justin are beyond words and am always kicked in the soul watching them play.

The set was great but i always fall into this place when RS/Flood/Aenima & Lateralus are played.

I know everyone has complained about the setlist but as i take it is that it's a very interesting story they are telling from the first track until the lst song is played even maynard stripping down to almost nothing midway lateralus.

I've read at what people have thought the meanings of the songs including my own interpretation and the story comes full circle to me at least. I think alot of people haven't caught that due to just focusing on the songs and not remembering the meanings behind them. I will write my thoughts on that later.

The whole day was an amazing experience and i'm glad i was part of it. From the meetup to catching Wolfmother, AIC was just AMAZING!!! Miss you Layne but i'm glad the guys are still playing. We need these bands around to keep the B***S*** bands in check. On to LP though not a fan i still think it should've been LP then AIC followed by TOOL to end the night but that's just me.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next album but i'm sure it will be another masterpiece IMO.

So THANKS AGAIN to TOOL for the great show & a HUGE THANKS to the one and only Junior for the light show i'm pretty sure there was a bit more at this last one than the others so thanks for that Jr.

i got to see & talk to Blair for a bit and even snagged a pic (he doesn't like to smile said his girlfriend) see you at the VOLTO! shows.

I'll end this with a see you at the next one. So take care of yourselves and like MJK said "Look after each other"

Spiral Out,
gnjasmkr
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
08-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Great show. Maynard sounded amazing and well rested vocally. In San Francisco in 2007 he sounded a bit tired. Definitely funny. Good to have had two consecutive shows where he was full of energy compared to Reno which I'm still a bit sour about. Slightly bummed about the set being the same, but they have the show set emotionally perfect from beginning to end IMO. Rosetta lasers rocked and was stoked to hear Aenema in SoCal haha
I have a feeling Vicarious will be in the beginning of the show next time around with the light production during the song being toned down for the video's full effect. Odd way to end the show especially after the Lateralus and Aenema lights and lasers orgasm.
I always get this feeling before lateralus that the show is coming to an end soon. Then, the religious experience of Tool grabs you by the balls and heart and it's like being on your own subconsciously produced drug.

Funny to see Danny Carey fuck up Jambi and him and Justin laugh about it. They're human I say! Human!

Right before the the 4/4 part (talkbox) they boosted the bass to about, level awesome. Thank you sound man :)
Old 08-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Great show. Maynard sounded amazing and well rested vocally. In San Francisco in 2007 he sounded a bit tired. Definitely funny. Good to have had two consecutive shows where he was full of energy compared to Reno which I'm still a bit sour about. Slightly bummed about the set being the same, but they have the show set emotionally perfect from beginning to end IMO. Rosetta lasers rocked and was stoked to hear Aenema in SoCal haha
I have a feeling Vicarious will be in the beginning of the show next time around with the light production during the song being toned down for the video's full effect. Odd way to end the show especially after the Lateralus and Aenema lights and lasers orgasm.
I always get this feeling before lateralus that the show is coming to an end soon. Then, the religious experience of Tool grabs you by the balls and heart and it's like being on your own subconsciously produced drug.

Funny to see Danny Carey fuck up Jambi and him and Justin laugh about it. They're human I say! Human!

Right before the the 4/4 part (talkbox) they boosted the bass to about, level awesome. Thank you sound man :)
OFFLINE |  
ammayhem
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

drove down from the bay area for my second tool show and fuckin loved it. i was about 30 bodies back from justin's side, which considering how packed we were is pretty fuckin close. have you ever willingly stood so long in such a reek? maynard was chatty.. last show we got a little sign language at the end and not much else. his 'stop, drop, and roll' comment cracked me up, as we were starting to get worried about the fire (!) that someone started bout 20 feet to our right, smoke billowing up and all.
but just as it always is with legendary bands like tool, it was the music that hit me. we are blessed to have artists who still project raw emotional poetry onto beautifully crafted music, without overt displays of egomainia.
see you all next tour
mayhem
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

drove down from the bay area for my second tool show and fuckin loved it. i was about 30 bodies back from justin's side, which considering how packed we were is pretty fuckin close. have you ever willingly stood so long in such a reek? maynard was chatty.. last show we got a little sign language at the end and not much else. his 'stop, drop, and roll' comment cracked me up, as we were starting to get worried about the fire (!) that someone started bout 20 feet to our right, smoke billowing up and all.
but just as it always is with legendary bands like tool, it was the music that hit me. we are blessed to have artists who still project raw emotional poetry onto beautifully crafted music, without overt displays of egomainia.
see you all next tour
mayhem
OFFLINE |  
46&2 just ahead of me
08-28-2009, 03:13 AM

well this was my first tool show and i must say wow. i was blown away. know its probably better to see them at their own show, but still. Alice in Chains was amazing,Wolfmother rocked, and linkin park eh. i was part of the mass booing at the last 10 min of their set. all in all an amazing show and as soon as tool comes back out here im going!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

well this was my first tool show and i must say wow. i was blown away. know its probably better to see them at their own show, but still. Alice in Chains was amazing,Wolfmother rocked, and linkin park eh. i was part of the mass booing at the last 10 min of their set. all in all an amazing show and as soon as tool comes back out here im going!
OFFLINE |  
sinadone
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM

4th Tool show, 1st festival-type thing I go to.

My back was hurting so bad after standing for 3 hours and being crushed and smooshed from all sides. The dirt made me constantly cough, especially with the mosh pit a couple of feet away. So I have to admit that I needed to get out of the center for this show. The first time I saw them back in 2002 I was in the very front, with the railing and the people behind me pressing me up against the rail, but it was worth it that time. This time I was 50 feet away or so off to the left of the stage. It was good, just wish I would've seen them alone in smaller venue. It was my husband's first time seeing Tool, good times.

The lasers were awesome, sometimes the songs weren't audible, but overall good. Can't wait for more!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 39

4th Tool show, 1st festival-type thing I go to.

My back was hurting so bad after standing for 3 hours and being crushed and smooshed from all sides. The dirt made me constantly cough, especially with the mosh pit a couple of feet away. So I have to admit that I needed to get out of the center for this show. The first time I saw them back in 2002 I was in the very front, with the railing and the people behind me pressing me up against the rail, but it was worth it that time. This time I was 50 feet away or so off to the left of the stage. It was good, just wish I would've seen them alone in smaller venue. It was my husband's first time seeing Tool, good times.

The lasers were awesome, sometimes the songs weren't audible, but overall good. Can't wait for more!
OFFLINE |  
dapot's Avatar dapot
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

it was nice to see maynard obliviously in pain still perform on crutches so that we could"get drunk and run into each other". what a day of music. not the best performance but considering , they still rocked. it may be awhile till any new music comes from the tool camp. if any, i remember an article in one of those industry mags before the start of the 10,000 days tour , and mjk was quoted as saying that the end of tool would be coming SOONER THAN LATER. THANKS TOOL FOR ALL THE GREAT TIMES
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

it was nice to see maynard obliviously in pain still perform on crutches so that we could"get drunk and run into each other". what a day of music. not the best performance but considering , they still rocked. it may be awhile till any new music comes from the tool camp. if any, i remember an article in one of those industry mags before the start of the 10,000 days tour , and mjk was quoted as saying that the end of tool would be coming SOONER THAN LATER. THANKS TOOL FOR ALL THE GREAT TIMES
09-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapot View Post
i remember an article in one of those industry mags before the start of the 10,000 days tour , and mjk was quoted as saying that the end of tool would be coming SOONER THAN LATER. THANKS TOOL FOR ALL THE GREAT TIMES
And I remember reading somewhere where, I think it was MJK, who said that they'd (Tool) would continue to make music together until one of them died.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapot View Post
i remember an article in one of those industry mags before the start of the 10,000 days tour , and mjk was quoted as saying that the end of tool would be coming SOONER THAN LATER. THANKS TOOL FOR ALL THE GREAT TIMES
And I remember reading somewhere where, I think it was MJK, who said that they'd (Tool) would continue to make music together until one of them died.
OFFLINE |  
dontbeanankle
09-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post

Onto Tool...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all.... yes, this is the OPINION page, and you have the right to have your own opinions regarding not only the band, but about everything in life. If you think that Tool is all about the money, might I remind you that Linkin Park opened up for them? How about the fact that LP had almost TWICE the amount of stagetime that Tool was permitted in the first place? It's not Tool's fault that they were only given an hour and a half. Next, this is the 4th time I have seen Tool perform live. Although the setlist is very similar as one or 2 of the other shows I have attended, they are amazing and could play that very set every day for the rest of my life and I would be happy to see them. If you thought that they sucked and they were only there for the money, then you should have left in order to free up some space for those of us who were truly happy and felt truly blessed just to be standing in the presence of such unfathomable beauty.

That being said, I have seen Tool perform at Long Beach Sports Arena (fairly small - or was that just the pit tickets talking?), and at Staples Center (MASSIVE), at UCSD (medium sized), and now at the Fairplex. As amazing as the show was, I will never see them at a music festival again....too many bitch-ass people - pushing, hitting, shoving, cramming. I have never seen them in a setting where so many people were acting like complete douchebags. For such an "intelligent" group of people, for such an "elite" cult-following, most of these people were complete assholes.

Linkin Park sucked......BAD!!!! Enough said. Chester couldn't hold a tune or sing on key for the life of him. Then to bring out a shitty side project band.....what were you thinking? I think Chester wins the Douchebaggery Award for the entire event.

And to the person who originally posted this particular thread.....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! You call yourself a Tool fan, but then go on about how terrible the show was, and how they were just doing it for the money, how they are motivated by greed......MJK has more money than you will ever see in your lifetime. They didn't need the money from Epicenter, you ignorant bastard. If you are worried about their motivation for playing a show, or are concerned with what setlist they play, then don't go to their shows. It's really that simple. I am truly appalled at how someone can call themselves a fan, and then proceed to trash them for several paragraphs. Some fan you are! As far as Dave Matthews Band, and Phish playing as long as they want - again, this has to be the single most ignorant post on this board. Tool is known for playing 3 and 4 hour sets. Unfortunately, the Fairplex is near a residential neighborhood and the Curfew is at 11 p.m. I'm sure they would have played longer if they had the opportunity to, unfortunately the venue wouldn't allow it. So if you are going to spread YOUR opinions about, at least make sure you know what it is that you are babbling about before you open your loose lips. Thanks!! :)

Last edited by dontbeanankle; 09-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post

Onto Tool...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all.... yes, this is the OPINION page, and you have the right to have your own opinions regarding not only the band, but about everything in life. If you think that Tool is all about the money, might I remind you that Linkin Park opened up for them? How about the fact that LP had almost TWICE the amount of stagetime that Tool was permitted in the first place? It's not Tool's fault that they were only given an hour and a half. Next, this is the 4th time I have seen Tool perform live. Although the setlist is very similar as one or 2 of the other shows I have attended, they are amazing and could play that very set every day for the rest of my life and I would be happy to see them. If you thought that they sucked and they were only there for the money, then you should have left in order to free up some space for those of us who were truly happy and felt truly blessed just to be standing in the presence of such unfathomable beauty.

That being said, I have seen Tool perform at Long Beach Sports Arena (fairly small - or was that just the pit tickets talking?), and at Staples Center (MASSIVE), at UCSD (medium sized), and now at the Fairplex. As amazing as the show was, I will never see them at a music festival again....too many bitch-ass people - pushing, hitting, shoving, cramming. I have never seen them in a setting where so many people were acting like complete douchebags. For such an "intelligent" group of people, for such an "elite" cult-following, most of these people were complete assholes.

Linkin Park sucked......BAD!!!! Enough said. Chester couldn't hold a tune or sing on key for the life of him. Then to bring out a shitty side project band.....what were you thinking? I think Chester wins the Douchebaggery Award for the entire event.

And to the person who originally posted this particular thread.....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! You call yourself a Tool fan, but then go on about how terrible the show was, and how they were just doing it for the money, how they are motivated by greed......MJK has more money than you will ever see in your lifetime. They didn't need the money from Epicenter, you ignorant bastard. If you are worried about their motivation for playing a show, or are concerned with what setlist they play, then don't go to their shows. It's really that simple. I am truly appalled at how someone can call themselves a fan, and then proceed to trash them for several paragraphs. Some fan you are! As far as Dave Matthews Band, and Phish playing as long as they want - again, this has to be the single most ignorant post on this board. Tool is known for playing 3 and 4 hour sets. Unfortunately, the Fairplex is near a residential neighborhood and the Curfew is at 11 p.m. I'm sure they would have played longer if they had the opportunity to, unfortunately the venue wouldn't allow it. So if you are going to spread YOUR opinions about, at least make sure you know what it is that you are babbling about before you open your loose lips. Thanks!! :)

Last edited by dontbeanankle; 09-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM

^ Tool didn't play more than a two-hour set the entire 10,000 Days tour. If they did, it was over time by mere minutes. I don't think noise abatement had anything to do with it.
Also, dunno where you were, but I was in a great place stage-to-me distance wise, and I didn't have dude boobs, or said real boobs against my back the entire show. I thought it was great from a crowd tolerability standpoint instead of the assholes at Street Scene or Reno. Now those people know how to ruin a show!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

^ Tool didn't play more than a two-hour set the entire 10,000 Days tour. If they did, it was over time by mere minutes. I don't think noise abatement had anything to do with it.
Also, dunno where you were, but I was in a great place stage-to-me distance wise, and I didn't have dude boobs, or said real boobs against my back the entire show. I thought it was great from a crowd tolerability standpoint instead of the assholes at Street Scene or Reno. Now those people know how to ruin a show!
OFFLINE |  
markuspoop
09-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Yeah I'd love to see these 3-4 hour set lists that previous poster is talking about. As for his own ignorant ramblings, from my position at the Fairplex I saw no pushing, shoving, punching, or anything else.

May have to agree with the Chester for Douchebag Of The Year award though. I mean really, bringing your other crummy band out inbetween LP songs, really?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Yeah I'd love to see these 3-4 hour set lists that previous poster is talking about. As for his own ignorant ramblings, from my position at the Fairplex I saw no pushing, shoving, punching, or anything else.

May have to agree with the Chester for Douchebag Of The Year award though. I mean really, bringing your other crummy band out inbetween LP songs, really?
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply