Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Lestat
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM

I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Tool getting older

I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Yeah because, judging them based off one show when they havn't played live in 3.5 years gives you the ability to make an accurate assesment of the band's current state.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12
Re: Tool getting older

Yeah because, judging them based off one show when they havn't played live in 3.5 years gives you the ability to make an accurate assesment of the band's current state.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcM_Emperor
*they* may not have played live in some time.

*MJK* has.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

*MJK* has.
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx

*MJK* has.
When was the last time? Maynard peformed APC, it's a bit different when you're singing songs that you havn't done in 3.5 years.

Do you think you can judge a band's current state by ONE live show? Do you think it's impossible for a talented band to have a bad or not so great show?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx

*MJK* has.
When was the last time? Maynard peformed APC, it's a bit different when you're singing songs that you havn't done in 3.5 years.

Do you think you can judge a band's current state by ONE live show? Do you think it's impossible for a talented band to have a bad or not so great show?
Lestat
05-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Maynard has been singing non stop on tours and in the studio.

I didn't even point out the numerous mistakes and mis cues by adam and justin, those are to be expected, they haven't played some of those songs in years.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I didn't even point out the numerous mistakes and mis cues by adam and justin, those are to be expected, they haven't played some of those songs in years.
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat

So does that mean Maynard can't have one bad show? So you're basing off one show that you saw that he's "getting older"? Dont you think it's a bit early to be making that assesment?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:

So does that mean Maynard can't have one bad show? So you're basing off one show that you saw that he's "getting older"? Dont you think it's a bit early to be making that assesment?
Windir's Avatar Windir
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM

He stated he saw 2 live shows. So stop making the argument of only 'ONE'.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029

tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM

Oh and by the way, most reviews I've read from people about the first couple shows this month said Maynard was fantastic, pulled off the ending of vicarious flawlessly etc etc.

Of COURSE when he's trying to sing songs that he hasn't sung in 3.5 years he might make a few mistakes...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #8

Oh and by the way, most reviews I've read from people about the first couple shows this month said Maynard was fantastic, pulled off the ending of vicarious flawlessly etc etc.

Of COURSE when he's trying to sing songs that he hasn't sung in 3.5 years he might make a few mistakes...
Lestat

I saw two live shows and have read reviews on a third that mentiond his voice cracking during Schism.

Also, hasn't he been recording/rehearsing for the last few months?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

I saw two live shows and have read reviews on a third that mentiond his voice cracking during Schism.

tcM_Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windir
OH NO! Two shows, which dozens of other people said he sounded fantastic in! Sounds like solid evidence.

Thanks for clarifying that though, two shows gives the argument much more weight....
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
OH NO! Two shows, which dozens of other people said he sounded fantastic in! Sounds like solid evidence.

Thanks for clarifying that though, two shows gives the argument much more weight....
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM

at least they arent getting younger

thatd be pretty wierd
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

at least they arent getting younger

thatd be pretty wierd
rgardjr

Quote:
Maynard notably less active onstage.
I actually thought he was more active in Seattle this time around than when I saw him in Seattle and Spokane on the last tour. That's not to say that he did a ton of moving around/dancing, but it wasn't just the rocking back and forth that I remember from the last tour. Still better than the first time I saw him with APC and he turned his back to the audience for the whole show. Maynard does what he wants to, oh well...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Maynard notably less active onstage.
I actually thought he was more active in Seattle this time around than when I saw him in Seattle and Spokane on the last tour. That's not to say that he did a ton of moving around/dancing, but it wasn't just the rocking back and forth that I remember from the last tour. Still better than the first time I saw him with APC and he turned his back to the audience for the whole show. Maynard does what he wants to, oh well...
tcM_Emperor

Quote:

His voice cracked once during schism... big deal?

I've seen a video where maynards voice cracked on parabola during the lateralus tour.

I've seen a video where maynard couldn't finish the ending of third eye on the Aenima tour.

Conclusion: A few screw-ups spread across a couple shows proves nothing.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:

His voice cracked once during schism... big deal?

I've seen a video where maynards voice cracked on parabola during the lateralus tour.

I've seen a video where maynard couldn't finish the ending of third eye on the Aenima tour.

Conclusion: A few screw-ups spread across a couple shows proves nothing.
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-05-2006, 12:21 PM

and yeah im goin with "rusty"

once they get back into the touring groove (last few shows of theatre tour) hell be on point again
Old 05-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

and yeah im goin with "rusty"

once they get back into the touring groove (last few shows of theatre tour) hell be on point again
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr
I actually thought he was more active in Seattle this time around than when I saw him in Seattle and Spokane on the last tour. That's not to say that he did a ton of moving around/dancing, but it wasn't just the rocking that I remember from the last tour. Still better than the first time I saw him with APC and he turned his back to the audience for the whole show. Maynard does what he wants to, oh well...
Exactly, he might not be dancing quite as much but he's talking more and I believe it was in Seattle or maybe at coachelle(sp?) where he actually came to the front of the stage. Lets see lateralus maynard do that? ;)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr
I actually thought he was more active in Seattle this time around than when I saw him in Seattle and Spokane on the last tour. That's not to say that he did a ton of moving around/dancing, but it wasn't just the rocking that I remember from the last tour. Still better than the first time I saw him with APC and he turned his back to the audience for the whole show. Maynard does what he wants to, oh well...
Exactly, he might not be dancing quite as much but he's talking more and I believe it was in Seattle or maybe at coachelle(sp?) where he actually came to the front of the stage. Lets see lateralus maynard do that? ;)
Windir's Avatar Windir
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I hope you werent being sarcastic here.
I did NOT say that because I think it would make all the difference in the world, but I did it because you stating he only saw one show, with accent on the 'one' part all the time, would make you ignorant... that's why I said he saw 2 shows.

Now go ahead and keep bashing other people's opinions and experiences.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Banned at user request

Quote:

I did NOT say that because I think it would make all the difference in the world, but I did it because you stating he only saw one show, with accent on the 'one' part all the time, would make you ignorant... that's why I said he saw 2 shows.

GreenSmurf's Avatar GreenSmurf
05-05-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Kudos for you. I mean it; want one?

-Bill Hicks
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #17

Bincount™: 17

Quote:

Kudos for you. I mean it; want one?

-Bill Hicks
Lestat
05-05-2006, 12:24 PM

I hope its just rusy, I really don't want this to be the beginning of the end for my favorite band.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

I hope its just rusy, I really don't want this to be the beginning of the end for my favorite band.
triad636's Avatar triad636
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM

why are you so judgemental?

They are fucking humnas, leave them alone, this is just a warm up anyway.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 276

tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Bashing other people's experiences? Looks like to me I'm arguing with him based off my opinion, which according to the title of these forums is accurate.

Although, since you claim I'm bashing him can you please point me to one occassion where I personally attacked him? If not, I think you're the one being ignorant :)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #20

Quote:

Bashing other people's experiences? Looks like to me I'm arguing with him based off my opinion, which according to the title of these forums is accurate.

Although, since you claim I'm bashing him can you please point me to one occassion where I personally attacked him? If not, I think you're the one being ignorant :)
Lestat
05-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triad636

how am I being judgemental? Seems like you calling me judgemental is more judgemental than anything I've written.

I'm just bringing up a point for discussion. It really threw me off to hear his voice crack why screaming "Whyyyy <CRACK> can't be just be sober..."
Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by triad636

how am I being judgemental? Seems like you calling me judgemental is more judgemental than anything I've written.

I'm just bringing up a point for discussion. It really threw me off to hear his voice crack why screaming "Whyyyy <CRACK> can't be just be sober..."
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Of course it is man, two shows with a couple mess-ups means nothing. Do you think Maynard gets it perfect the first time every time in rehearsal or in the studio? Of course not, I'm sure he messes up quite a few times before he gets it just right like any human being would.

Like I said, Tool has screwed up on numerous occassions during the lateralus tour and aenima tour as well, this means nothing.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Of course it is man, two shows with a couple mess-ups means nothing. Do you think Maynard gets it perfect the first time every time in rehearsal or in the studio? Of course not, I'm sure he messes up quite a few times before he gets it just right like any human being would.

Like I said, Tool has screwed up on numerous occassions during the lateralus tour and aenima tour as well, this means nothing.
Windir's Avatar Windir
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM

I dont claim you bashed him.
Dont start laying words in my mouth buddy. Keep discussing all you want, but read the posts carefully if you want to lay an accent on something. I didnt mean to attack you or anything, I was merely stating to help you and the discussion to stay on the right track, k?

Oh... how ignorant of me.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #23
Banned at user request

I dont claim you bashed him.
Dont start laying words in my mouth buddy. Keep discussing all you want, but read the posts carefully if you want to lay an accent on something. I didnt mean to attack you or anything, I was merely stating to help you and the discussion to stay on the right track, k?

Oh... how ignorant of me.
bugchaser's Avatar bugchaser
05-05-2006, 12:29 PM

i dont think the initial post was judgmental, but observational and fair... why are so many peoples head's so far up maynards asshole not to see that?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

i dont think the initial post was judgmental, but observational and fair... why are so many peoples head's so far up maynards asshole not to see that?
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Please provide proof of where I "bashed" his opinion or experience. If by "bashing" you mean me expressing my opinion, then you are being ignorant :)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Please provide proof of where I "bashed" his opinion or experience. If by "bashing" you mean me expressing my opinion, then you are being ignorant :)
Lestat

Quote:

that is what I am hoping, that this is just all normal.

Again, it only stands out because its the first time I've heard it.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

that is what I am hoping, that this is just all normal.

Again, it only stands out because its the first time I've heard it.
Blanket_509's Avatar Blanket_509

Well, you know, he's what, 42 now? When people get older things start to not work as well as they used to. Give the man a break, he's been singing his heart out for 20 some-odd years now. That shit has got to take its toll. When's the last time you saw a 42 year old professional athlete perform as well as he did in his prime?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #27

Bincount™: 1

Well, you know, he's what, 42 now? When people get older things start to not work as well as they used to. Give the man a break, he's been singing his heart out for 20 some-odd years now. That shit has got to take its toll. When's the last time you saw a 42 year old professional athlete perform as well as he did in his prime?
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugchaser
Not to see what, that he screwed up a few times across a couple shows like he has during the aenima tour and lateralus tour? The initial poster was making the assertion that the recent screw-ups were a result of Tool getting "old". My counter-argument was one based off facts and common sense, they have screwed up numerous times in the past, and they will probably screw up some more during the main US tour and we will repeat this same argument.

Tool has never been perfect and they never will be.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugchaser
Not to see what, that he screwed up a few times across a couple shows like he has during the aenima tour and lateralus tour? The initial poster was making the assertion that the recent screw-ups were a result of Tool getting "old". My counter-argument was one based off facts and common sense, they have screwed up numerous times in the past, and they will probably screw up some more during the main US tour and we will repeat this same argument.

Windir's Avatar Windir
05-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
See my previous post.
Keep on track now - that's all I had to add.

Also: It was kinda general. That's why I kept an open line between the sentences.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
Banned at user request

Quote:
See my previous post.

Also: It was kinda general. That's why I kept an open line between the sentences.
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
See my previous post.

Can't argue with you when you dance around your own words :) good day.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #30

Quote:
See my previous post.

Can't argue with you when you dance around your own words :) good day.
Windir's Avatar Windir
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM

Haha , very clever.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #31
Banned at user request

Haha , very clever.
Lestat
05-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:

I thought my observation was baed on facts and common sense as well.

I know these singers are nothing like Maynard, but lets look at Peter Cetera and Brian Wilson (Chicago and Beach Boys singers). Have you seen them perform lately? They physically can NOT hit the notes that they used to in their 20s and 30s. I dread the day when the same thing happens to Maynard. Tenors seem to lose their ability to hit the high notes over time. I really hope this is not hapenning to Maynard.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I thought my observation was baed on facts and common sense as well.

I know these singers are nothing like Maynard, but lets look at Peter Cetera and Brian Wilson (Chicago and Beach Boys singers). Have you seen them perform lately? They physically can NOT hit the notes that they used to in their 20s and 30s. I dread the day when the same thing happens to Maynard. Tenors seem to lose their ability to hit the high notes over time. I really hope this is not hapenning to Maynard.
HalfASandwidch
05-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Uhm... Maynard didn't make a mistake... His voice cracked, gave out. And saying that aging isn't doing a number on his vocal cords is stupid because it has to be doing something to his voice, he's getting OLD.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
Uhm... Maynard didn't make a mistake... His voice cracked, gave out. And saying that aging isn't doing a number on his vocal cords is stupid because it has to be doing something to his voice, he's getting OLD.
Elbandagji
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:

And you have a better perspective?

Go blow yourself.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

And you have a better perspective?

Go blow yourself.
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM

yes, they're getting older but they still kick ass.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

yes, they're getting older but they still kick ass.
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Well I agree that getting old can affect numerous things, but 42 is honestly not that old. You were trying to say those few mistakes and "cracks" were a result of maynard getting old and my point is that it has happened the same way numerous times in the past tours.

I think once the main US tour hits us and we realize Maynard is as amazing vocally as he ever was this argument will be invalid.

Clarification: I am NOT saying age doesn't affect your voice, I'm saying a few screw-ups in a couple shows isn't enough to accurately asses that it's due to age.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #36

Well I agree that getting old can affect numerous things, but 42 is honestly not that old. You were trying to say those few mistakes and "cracks" were a result of maynard getting old and my point is that it has happened the same way numerous times in the past tours.

I think once the main US tour hits us and we realize Maynard is as amazing vocally as he ever was this argument will be invalid.

Clarification: I am NOT saying age doesn't affect your voice, I'm saying a few screw-ups in a couple shows isn't enough to accurately asses that it's due to age.
HalfASandwidch
05-05-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:

But aging is probably the cause of the cracks in his voice happening more frequently... Don't you think so?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:

But aging is probably the cause of the cracks in his voice happening more frequently... Don't you think so?
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
But aging is probably the cause of the cracks in his voice happening more frequently... Don't you think?
More frequently? This happened in TWO shows that he saw, do you honestly believe Maynard never had a few cracks and mistakes in two back to back shows?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
But aging is probably the cause of the cracks in his voice happening more frequently... Don't you think?
More frequently? This happened in TWO shows that he saw, do you honestly believe Maynard never had a few cracks and mistakes in two back to back shows?
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-05-2006, 12:46 PM

I do. His voice started cracking a lot on the apc tour and will probably crack a lot this tour but who cares? geez. Sorry maynard isn't practically perfect in every way
Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

I do. His voice started cracking a lot on the apc tour and will probably crack a lot this tour but who cares? geez. Sorry maynard isn't practically perfect in every way
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
How many shows in the APC tour did you see?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
How many shows in the APC tour did you see?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply