opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 09. Flood
User Name
Password
Old 12-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
the wrong foundation

This is one of my favorite Tool songs. It is dark, yet uplifting at the same time. An effect Tool has mastered. I have been an ardent fan of Tool since I was around 13, and yet I did not fully realize the messages of their lyrics until I was around 19. This song in a way reminds me a little of myself. As a kid I was taught to go to church and blindly obey authority. Eventually I joined the service for the past 6 years and despite the formal conformity training I was given, I couldn't help but figure things out for myself, yet I continued to blindly believe in authority. It was'nt until my younger brother went to college for a degree in political science that I began to realize that everthing I had been taught my whole life was wrong, and that I had comforted myself with these images of a false utopian scociety, which we are not! It was like a flood, and I was standing on low grounds, that I thought were high. At the same time my eyes were opened and I sought to inform myself about what was going on around me rather than rely on false images and media banter that we see everyday. Now I amstanding on ground of my own making, and the foundation I have built using my own reason is much stronger than any cotrived religious or political ideology. I have this band to thank for that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: the wrong foundation

This is also one of my favorite TOOL songs...and l agree when you say it is dark yet uplifting, because it is. lt teaches you something, something necessary to learn.

Nice entry.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 337
Re: the wrong foundation

speaking of dark yet uplifting.... eleven

i think pretty much everyone (unless you rebel at a very early age) is taught by someone... mostly parents or strong influences. they grow to question things and figure out that certain teachings maybe aren't true and learn things for themselves. tool encouraged and helped me to do this.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: