Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
04-16-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfunball
Transmittal doesn't actually work as logically as Transmitter either. The Transmitter of course would be the TV which makes perfect sense within the song's own context. Transmittal is the act of sending a transmittion. But the song is not sung from the perspective of the sender, but rather the receiver. So even though it works slightly better (emphasis on slightly) with the ending of the next line which is "rattle", logically speaking it doesn't work as well. Transmitter simply works better.
Disagree. Transmittal is just a noun describing the broadcast. Works fine from the "receiver" perspective. Pretty much means the same thing as "signal"...which you see all the time on consumer end products like satellite receivers for DirecTV, etc.

Last edited by ProdigyDub; 04-16-2006 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #281
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29
Re: Vicarious Lyrics

Quote:
Transmittal doesn't actually work as logically as Transmitter either. The Transmitter of course would be the TV which makes perfect sense within the song's own context. Transmittal is the act of sending a transmittion. But the song is not sung from the perspective of the sender, but rather the receiver. So even though it works slightly better (emphasis on slightly) with the ending of the next line which is "rattle", logically speaking it doesn't work as well. Transmitter simply works better.
Disagree. Transmittal is just a noun describing the broadcast. Works fine from the "receiver" perspective. Pretty much means the same thing as "signal"...which you see all the time on consumer end products like satellite receivers for DirecTV, etc.

Last edited by ProdigyDub; 04-16-2006 at 06:41 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SigSegV
04-16-2006, 06:59 PM

IMO:

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal # i.e. stare at the death and pain (the headlines)
Sing to the death rattle

But there is a problem. While I am a computer science major, i have taken a couple psychology courses. It is indeed a fact that people tend to interpret what they see/hear with the inclusion of outside influences. So reading, or writing your own, interpretations of the song can possibly be influeced, just because it is really close.

I can't honestly distinguish between the above and "stare at the trans mental, sync to the death rattle", but I do think the above fits more into the context of the song.

Also, I just think the song is amazing. people who think the lyrics lack depth amaze me. In my opinion they are in almost the same exact line as Ænema. But you never see people saying "Ænema sucks, all he is saying is people in LA suck so fuck 'em".

btw, i'm a new poster but a long time tool fan. :P

Last edited by SigSegV; 04-16-2006 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #282
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

IMO:

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal # i.e. stare at the death and pain (the headlines)
Sing to the death rattle

But there is a problem. While I am a computer science major, i have taken a couple psychology courses. It is indeed a fact that people tend to interpret what they see/hear with the inclusion of outside influences. So reading, or writing your own, interpretations of the song can possibly be influeced, just because it is really close.

I can't honestly distinguish between the above and "stare at the trans mental, sync to the death rattle", but I do think the above fits more into the context of the song.

Also, I just think the song is amazing. people who think the lyrics lack depth amaze me. In my opinion they are in almost the same exact line as Ænema. But you never see people saying "Ænema sucks, all he is saying is people in LA suck so fuck 'em".

btw, i'm a new poster but a long time tool fan. :P

Last edited by SigSegV; 04-16-2006 at 07:06 PM..
megazach's Avatar megazach
04-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Ok ok, so the final lyrics are as follows....

Eye on the TV
'Cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison
In his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky, crying
"Why, oh why?"

'Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously, I live
While the whole world dies
You all need it too, don't lie

Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
Neither the brave nor bold
Will write us the stories so

I need to watch things die
From a good, safe distance
Vicariously, I live
You all feel the same, so

Blood like rain come down
Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter
Sing to the death rattle

Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie

Credulous, at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head on out
Your head believes in... give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again
The universe is hostile, so impersonal
Devour to survive, so it is
So it's always been

We all feed
On tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously, I live
Much better you than I
Old 04-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #283
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison
In his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky, crying
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I live

Vicariously, I live

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous, at best
Pull your head on out
So it's always been

We all feed
On tragedy

Vicariously, I live
Much better you than I
hawk1646
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Could it be "I own the TV/'Cause tragedy thrills me", perhaps? He owns the television because he is enthralled by what occurs on it.

Just a thought.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #284
Level 3 - Talker

Could it be "I own the TV/'Cause tragedy thrills me", perhaps? He owns the television because he is enthralled by what occurs on it.

Just a thought.
peterpiper
04-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazach
I think those are the closest lyrics yet.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #285
On Probation

Quote:
I think those are the closest lyrics yet.
Exile
04-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Pull your head on out
I'm still confused by this line. That doesn't sound right. I don't think anyone's got that particular line right yet.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #286
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Pull your head on out
I'm still confused by this line. That doesn't sound right. I don't think anyone's got that particular line right yet.
Dry Mana
04-17-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
No, they haven't.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #287
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
No, they haven't.
Gratis's Avatar Gratis
04-17-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'm hearing it as:

"Pull your head on out your head pi-ece and give a listen."

or maybe?

"Pour your hate on out your head, release and give a listen."

Still hearing a line like these too:

nor right as the stories told.
nor rightest of stories told.
nor brightest of stories told.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #288
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I'm hearing it as:

or maybe?

Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
04-17-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuadeus
couldn't you take transmittal as "that which is being transmitted?" then we can still have the receiver staring at the transmittal without any problem and with the added bonus of fitting better with "rattle" in the next line. no?
Was thinking about this while doing my usual thing at work (read, absolutely nothing) and it probably does work without too much issue. I guess maybe my hangup was more with the notion that transmittal is a much less used word than transmitter. It seems like one would use the word transmission instead of transmittal when referring to something they were viewing/hearing, but that doesn't actually make the word transmittal inaccurate.

I think either word works, transmittal or transmitter. The song refers to both so no big issue there. But from a purely poetic standpoint (if one's attempting to make actual rhymes) transmittal does actually work better with rattle so there ya go.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #289
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuadeus
couldn't you take transmittal as "that which is being transmitted?" then we can still have the receiver staring at the transmittal without any problem and with the added bonus of fitting better with "rattle" in the next line. no?
Was thinking about this while doing my usual thing at work (read, absolutely nothing) and it probably does work without too much issue. I guess maybe my hangup was more with the notion that transmittal is a much less used word than transmitter. It seems like one would use the word transmission instead of transmittal when referring to something they were viewing/hearing, but that doesn't actually make the word transmittal inaccurate.

I think either word works, transmittal or transmitter. The song refers to both so no big issue there. But from a purely poetic standpoint (if one's attempting to make actual rhymes) transmittal does actually work better with rattle so there ya go.
Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
04-17-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1646

Just a thought.
I originally had that for the lyrics I put down way back on page two, but I think I went back and changed it to "eye on". I do, however, continue to hear the "on" part with a sound that more closely resembles "own". Maynard's usually pretty good about pronouncing "on" without any drawl, and in this case it sounds almost southern if that's the word he's really going for. In fact, the pronounciation sounds almost identical to what he uses a few lines later for "shot by his own son". So I don't know. Truth is both would work as a solid setup for the song.

Really, except for that one section there with the "Pull/pour your head... " line, the lyrics are pretty much nailed down. Even the areas where words are still in question, it seems like each word or phrase being suggested works well enough that it's not worth debating. Of course, if we can get for-certain accuracy, I'm all for doing that.

Good job to everyone who's been participating in this. I know others are probably thinking we're turning our wheels for nothing here, but I enjoy hashing out lyrics so they can be as accurate as possible. :)
Old 04-17-2006, 05:41 AM   #290
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1646

Just a thought.
I originally had that for the lyrics I put down way back on page two, but I think I went back and changed it to "eye on". I do, however, continue to hear the "on" part with a sound that more closely resembles "own". Maynard's usually pretty good about pronouncing "on" without any drawl, and in this case it sounds almost southern if that's the word he's really going for. In fact, the pronounciation sounds almost identical to what he uses a few lines later for "shot by his own son". So I don't know. Truth is both would work as a solid setup for the song.

Really, except for that one section there with the "Pull/pour your head... " line, the lyrics are pretty much nailed down. Even the areas where words are still in question, it seems like each word or phrase being suggested works well enough that it's not worth debating. Of course, if we can get for-certain accuracy, I'm all for doing that.

Good job to everyone who's been participating in this. I know others are probably thinking we're turning our wheels for nothing here, but I enjoy hashing out lyrics so they can be as accurate as possible. :)
tuadeus's Avatar tuadeus
04-17-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
not to kick a dead horse but i think that "transmittal" is better for another reason. The "transmitter" is just the box. the "transmittal" (that which is being transmitted) is the actual carnage and gore the song is refering to. "Transmittal" is a tad bit more specific and has more depth of meaning in this case.

-foucault
Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #291
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
not to kick a dead horse but i think that "transmittal" is better for another reason. The "transmitter" is just the box. the "transmittal" (that which is being transmitted) is the actual carnage and gore the song is refering to. "Transmittal" is a tad bit more specific and has more depth of meaning in this case.

-foucault
Sagacious Foetu
04-17-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousParadox
Its "eye on the tv" not "i am the tv"
exactly.. how i made sense of it was this:

on the song, "the package" he sings the lyrics "eye on what i came for"

so it would make sense that he'd use the same word usage, because as i've noticed, he has a specific way with lyrical usage. this makes sense. there's a lot more, but i'm gonna stop right here.

-- Third Eye
Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 AM   #292
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousParadox
Its "eye on the tv" not "i am the tv"
exactly.. how i made sense of it was this:

on the song, "the package" he sings the lyrics "eye on what i came for"

so it would make sense that he'd use the same word usage, because as i've noticed, he has a specific way with lyrical usage. this makes sense. there's a lot more, but i'm gonna stop right here.

-- Third Eye
Sagacious Foetu
04-17-2006, 06:10 AM

lines like these (which i'm not saying are wrong, especially since the majority seems to agree on them):

That's my kind of story

that doesn't sound like something maynard would write. but maybe he's taking a much different lyrical approach, even though most of these lyrics are similar to what he would have written before.

-- Third Eye
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #293

Bincount™: 15

lines like these (which i'm not saying are wrong, especially since the majority seems to agree on them):

That's my kind of story

that doesn't sound like something maynard would write. but maybe he's taking a much different lyrical approach, even though most of these lyrics are similar to what he would have written before.

-- Third Eye
gerbil's Avatar gerbil
04-17-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison
In his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky, crying
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I live

Vicariously, I live

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous, at best
Pull your head on out
So it's always been

We all feed
On tragedy

Vicariously, I live
Much better you than I
"Still have the transmitter synced to the death rattle."
Old 04-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #294
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 96

Quote:

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison
In his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky, crying
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I live

Vicariously, I live

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous, at best
Pull your head on out
So it's always been

We all feed
On tragedy

Vicariously, I live
Much better you than I
xmorteferoz
04-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu

That's my kind of story

that doesn't sound like something maynard would write.
Why not? He's not literally talking about himself.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #295
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

That's my kind of story

that doesn't sound like something maynard would write.
Why not? He's not literally talking about himself.
NukeAJS's Avatar NukeAJS
04-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Lyrics remind me of White Noise by Don DeLillo theme-wise

Anyone agree?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #296
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 10

Lyrics remind me of White Noise by Don DeLillo theme-wise

Anyone agree?
Navid
04-17-2006, 07:17 AM

There are a few regions of the song that - upon repeated listening - I have slight uncertainties about. In most of these cases, I'm caught between one interpretation or another posted here.
One part in particular that stands out as an unknown is the:
"Pull your 'head' on 'out your head' ..." line. I am having quite a bit of difficulty trying to nail down what is being sung in the song.

I'm also still not certain as to the
"Blood like rain falling/flowing/come down
Drum on/Drowning/Drawn by grave and ground/mound/bound."

Although I initially thought it would be mound, it doesn't really sound that accurate. The word he is singing doesn't quite seem to be "ground" to me either...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #297
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There are a few regions of the song that - upon repeated listening - I have slight uncertainties about. In most of these cases, I'm caught between one interpretation or another posted here.
One part in particular that stands out as an unknown is the:
"Pull your 'head' on 'out your head' ..." line. I am having quite a bit of difficulty trying to nail down what is being sung in the song.

I'm also still not certain as to the
"Blood like rain falling/flowing/come down
Drum on/Drowning/Drawn by grave and ground/mound/bound."

Although I initially thought it would be mound, it doesn't really sound that accurate. The word he is singing doesn't quite seem to be "ground" to me either...
04-17-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil
It's transmittal. Transmitter doesn't rhyme with rattle. Transmittal does.

And it's "sing", not "sync". This is pretty obvious by the way the next part of the song is Maynard, well,....singing to the death rattle-"la la la la la la lie" etc.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #298
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil
It's transmittal. Transmitter doesn't rhyme with rattle. Transmittal does.

And it's "sing", not "sync". This is pretty obvious by the way the next part of the song is Maynard, well,....singing to the death rattle-"la la la la la la lie" etc.
pops333
04-17-2006, 07:38 AM

cool lyrics

Last edited by pops333; 04-17-2006 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #299
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

cool lyrics

Last edited by pops333; 04-17-2006 at 07:42 AM..
temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 08:06 AM

I'm of course not sure, but I think that each of the "headlines" is combined into one story about a wife, a husband, and a son. After all, in context, this is a televised news program, so "headlines" does not really make sense. Think instead of a newscast. I'm assuming we've all seen a newscast? Guy/Gal tells the story, then gives his own comments, then you (the viewer) in turn have your reaction. So,

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
he used a poison in his tea,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

Newscaster in story/"report" mode: Husband kills wife. Son kills father by shooting him and throwing body into the ocean.

Newscaster switches to wrap-up, talking to a co-anchor: Then son commits suicide.

Co-Anchor with clever comment: Now kiss him goodbye (give newscaster smile).

Viewer's reaction: That's my kind of story.

I'm not saying the writer had precisely this in mind, but I think this makes more sense than an attempt at combining unrelated, random headlines.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #300
Level 3 - Talker

I'm of course not sure, but I think that each of the "headlines" is combined into one story about a wife, a husband, and a son. After all, in context, this is a televised news program, so "headlines" does not really make sense. Think instead of a newscast. I'm assuming we've all seen a newscast? Guy/Gal tells the story, then gives his own comments, then you (the viewer) in turn have your reaction. So,

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

Newscaster in story/"report" mode: Husband kills wife. Son kills father by shooting him and throwing body into the ocean.

Newscaster switches to wrap-up, talking to a co-anchor: Then son commits suicide.

I'm not saying the writer had precisely this in mind, but I think this makes more sense than an attempt at combining unrelated, random headlines.
temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 08:07 AM

Oh, and of course, this way everyone in the story dies, ending with the tragic, almost cliche suicide.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #301
Level 3 - Talker

Oh, and of course, this way everyone in the story dies, ending with the tragic, almost cliche suicide.
temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Oh, and the 'drowned by the ocean' might be referring to how the wife died. I think this might be more likely, but it's like a bad dangling participle.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #302
Level 3 - Talker

Oh, and the 'drowned by the ocean' might be referring to how the wife died. I think this might be more likely, but it's like a bad dangling participle.
the usual's Avatar the usual
04-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryUN

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

ohh....o.k. whatever.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #303
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

ohh....o.k. whatever.
temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
ohh....o.k. whatever.
Can't argue with that explicit, well-thought out logic.

Anyone ever asked you a one-word question, "Dinosaurs?"

Last edited by temporaryUN; 04-17-2006 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Had to include a Bill Hicks joke, which is how I learned about Tool anyway.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #304
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
ohh....o.k. whatever.
Can't argue with that explicit, well-thought out logic.

Anyone ever asked you a one-word question, "Dinosaurs?"

Last edited by temporaryUN; 04-17-2006 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Had to include a Bill Hicks joke, which is how I learned about Tool anyway.
MobiusSpin
04-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:

That's my kind of story

Correct. They were actually written by Justin, and well ... he's British.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #305
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

That's my kind of story

Correct. They were actually written by Justin, and well ... he's British.
edavis51
04-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Slightly modified for musical phrasing and verse structures:

Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be, like:
”Killed by the husband”
”Drowned by the ocean”
”Shot by his own son”
”She used a poison in his tea, and kissed him goodbye”
That's my kind of story - it's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like I am a monster
Frown out your one face, but with the other
Stare like a junkie into the TV
Stare like a zombie while a mother
Holds her child; watches him die
Hands to the sky, crying "Why, oh why?"

'Cause I need to watch things die…from a distance
Vicariously, I live…while the whole world dies

Neither the brave nor bold will write us the stories so

I need to watch things die…from a good, safe distance
You all feel the same, so -

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire, part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle:
La la la la la la la lie (x4)

Credulous, at best;
Your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head on out
Devour to survive, so it is - so it's always been

We all feed on tragedy…it's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies;
Much better you than I

Still not sure on "drum on grave and ground" Almost wonder if it's "drawn on grave and drown" but I can't make it out for sure...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #306
Level 1 - Lurker

”Killed by the husband”
”Drowned by the ocean”
”Shot by his own son”

Drum on grave and ground

Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal

Credulous, at best;
Pull your head on out

Much better you than I

Still not sure on "drum on grave and ground" Almost wonder if it's "drawn on grave and drown" but I can't make it out for sure...
Spiralman
04-17-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratis
I'm hearing it as:

or maybe?

Pull your HAIR on out your head, the reason, give a listen.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #307
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I'm hearing it as:

or maybe?

04-17-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm hearing it as:

or maybe?

I hear "neither the brave or bold will write us the story (or stories) so"
Old 04-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #308

Quote:
I'm hearing it as:

or maybe?

04-17-2006, 11:30 AM

I want to thank everyone who is taking the time to decode the lyrics. I would be right there with you, but I'm at work.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #309
Level 2 - Poster

I want to thank everyone who is taking the time to decode the lyrics. I would be right there with you, but I'm at work.

Thanks again.
04-17-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariable
What do you think that line means?

I wouldn't mind knowing if we're all listening to different encodes too, anyone care to post some details?

(Alt+3 in Winamp)
Size: 10297994 bytes
Length: 429 seconds
192kbit, 16448 frames
44100Hz Joint Stereo

Another:
Size: 14293543 bytes
266kbit (VBR), 16424 frames
44100Hz Stereo

Last edited by Gratis; 04-17-2006 at 11:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #310
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariable
What do you think that line means?

I wouldn't mind knowing if we're all listening to different encodes too, anyone care to post some details?

(Alt+3 in Winamp)
Size: 10297994 bytes
192kbit, 16448 frames
44100Hz Joint Stereo

Another:
Size: 14293543 bytes
266kbit (VBR), 16424 frames
44100Hz Stereo

Last edited by Gratis; 04-17-2006 at 11:50 AM..
Navid
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman

I do not hear "hair". I do, however, think it quite likely that what most are interpreting as "pull your head on out" could well be "pull your - out", with the - being some disyllabic word. I haven't really made any headway conceiving of a word to fit though.

Of course, that still leaves the mystery of the word being popularly interpreted as "reason, give a listen" or, alternatively "please, give a listen". I don't really hear either of these words that clearly.

My favourite interpretation posted here was "pull your head on our your headpiece, reason, give a listen..." But to be honest, I don't really hear that either. I'm at a loss as to this line at the moment.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #311
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman

I do not hear "hair". I do, however, think it quite likely that what most are interpreting as "pull your head on out" could well be "pull your - out", with the - being some disyllabic word. I haven't really made any headway conceiving of a word to fit though.

Of course, that still leaves the mystery of the word being popularly interpreted as "reason, give a listen" or, alternatively "please, give a listen". I don't really hear either of these words that clearly.

My favourite interpretation posted here was "pull your head on our your headpiece, reason, give a listen..." But to be honest, I don't really hear that either. I'm at a loss as to this line at the moment.
04-17-2006, 12:50 PM

Never sure, but here is my take on it:

Pull your head on out
you'll hear the reason
give a listen

The 'pull your head on out' is a condescending way to phrase 'pull your head out [of the sand/your ass]'. Like if you were talking to a child, telling him not to be afraid.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #312
Level 3 - Talker

Never sure, but here is my take on it:

Pull your head on out
you'll hear the reason
give a listen

The 'pull your head on out' is a condescending way to phrase 'pull your head out [of the sand/your ass]'. Like if you were talking to a child, telling him not to be afraid.
lysergide dreams's Avatar lysergide dreams
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM

i've been trying to do this myself, and frankly, i give up.

i'm waiting a few weeks until i can actually read them.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #313

Bincount™: 10

i've been trying to do this myself, and frankly, i give up.

i'm waiting a few weeks until i can actually read them.
04-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

Interesting thought, but why does it have to be just one story? To me, the speaker is just giving examples of stories that someone would be interested in, because of the violence and death. Sounds like a list to me... not details of just one news story. I mean, the list is prefaced with "Whatever flavor it happens to be..." Whatever kind of death it might be... in other words.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #314
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

killed by the husband,
drowned by the ocean,
shot by his own son,
*now* kiss him goodbye.
It's my kind of story

Interesting thought, but why does it have to be just one story? To me, the speaker is just giving examples of stories that someone would be interested in, because of the violence and death. Sounds like a list to me... not details of just one news story. I mean, the list is prefaced with "Whatever flavor it happens to be..." Whatever kind of death it might be... in other words.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
Howard's Avatar Howard
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM

I think the lyrics posted by edavis51 is 100% correct.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #315

I think the lyrics posted by edavis51 is 100% correct.
Fathom's Avatar Fathom
04-17-2006, 03:32 PM

Here's what I think...

This is what I had before reading any of these posts. The only line I borrowed was the drum on grave and ground - not sure about that. I think I had the rest right..well who knows....

I own the TV, cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor, it happens to be like
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison, in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's never fun till someone dies

Don't look at me like, I am a monster
Stare like a junkie, into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother, holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying
Why oh why?

Cause I need to watch things die, from a distance
Vi - carious - ly - I live, While the whole world dies

We won't give pause until, the blood is flowing
The Writers, their stories sold

I need to watch things die, from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so, why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain falling down
Drum on grave and ground

Part - vamp - ire
part - war - rior
Car - ni - vore and war - rior
Stare - at - the - trans - mit - ter
sing - to - the - death - rat - tle

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie

Credulous at best, your desire to believe in
Pull your head on out-Your head believes in, give a listen
So it's always been

We all feed on tragedy

Vi - carious - ly - I live, while the whole world dies
Much better you than I
Old 04-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #316
Level 3 - Talker

Here's what I think...

This is what I had before reading any of these posts. The only line I borrowed was the drum on grave and ground - not sure about that. I think I had the rest right..well who knows....

I own the TV, cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor, it happens to be like
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used a poison, in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's never fun till someone dies

Don't look at me like, I am a monster
Stare like a junkie, into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother, holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying
Why oh why?

Cause I need to watch things die, from a distance

The Writers, their stories sold

I need to watch things die, from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so, why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain falling down
Drum on grave and ground

Part - vamp - ire
part - war - rior
Car - ni - vore and war - rior
Stare - at - the - trans - mit - ter
sing - to - the - death - rat - tle

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lie

Credulous at best, your desire to believe in
Pull your head on out-Your head believes in, give a listen
So it's always been

We all feed on tragedy

Vi - carious - ly - I live, while the whole world dies
Much better you than I
Fathom's Avatar Fathom
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM

We'll all get them right eventually.

Last edited by Fathom; 04-17-2006 at 03:40 PM..
Old 04-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #317
Level 3 - Talker

We'll all get them right eventually.

Last edited by Fathom; 04-17-2006 at 03:40 PM..
Howard's Avatar Howard
04-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Correction, I would add the line by Fathom: "The Writers, their stories sold" to the lyrics I mentioned above ;p
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #318

Correction, I would add the line by Fathom: "The Writers, their stories sold" to the lyrics I mentioned above ;p
the usual's Avatar the usual
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis51

”Killed by the husband”
”Drowned by the ocean”
”Shot by his own son”

Drum on grave and ground

Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal

Credulous, at best;
Pull your head on out

Much better you than I

Well,I've finally gotten my grubby mittens on The Single.
I really didn't beleive in the artwork or the title of the album;until I heard the single .
After that gray moment ocured,(oh yea, thanks Limewire,I always kiss and tell.)
I had to hear the song along with the lyrics.
SO I went through toolband .com to get to toolshed and witnessed the new setup for the first time.That was intersting.Anyways, on to the lyrics!
Thanks for the accurate lyrics(edavis51) and uncanny phrasing,.
It really helped me enjoy the song on a whole new level...

I'm out...RaHa

Last edited by the usual; 04-17-2006 at 04:10 PM..
Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #319
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis51

”Killed by the husband”
”Drowned by the ocean”
”Shot by his own son”

Drum on grave and ground

Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal

Credulous, at best;
Pull your head on out

Much better you than I

Well,I've finally gotten my grubby mittens on The Single.
I really didn't beleive in the artwork or the title of the album;until I heard the single .
After that gray moment ocured,(oh yea, thanks Limewire,I always kiss and tell.)
I had to hear the song along with the lyrics.
SO I went through toolband .com to get to toolshed and witnessed the new setup for the first time.That was intersting.Anyways, on to the lyrics!
Thanks for the accurate lyrics(edavis51) and uncanny phrasing,.
It really helped me enjoy the song on a whole new level...

I'm out...RaHa

Last edited by the usual; 04-17-2006 at 04:10 PM..
temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist
Well, I didn't say it had to be one story, but that seems to me to make more sense. I considered the thematic link between the various "headlines", but I lean toward one unified story for several reasons. First, the whatever flavor line is the first of the song, so it does not onyl describe the next few lines, but rather the rest of the song. Notice the mother holding her child part relates a single story and would add a nice parallel to this first story. Second, different "headlines" does not necessarily mean different stories, but possibly different angles of a single story. Third, does "drowned by the ocean" really sound like a headline? Fourth, he says "that's my kind of story". I realize he could be talking about just the last 'headline', but again the single story makes more sense to me. Fifth, the ability to make it one outrageous story is itself evidence. No room for multiple deaths in a story's headline? I would think some form of mass murder might have been able to be fit in somewhere. But each of these seems to describe a single, personal death. With a single story, with a suicide for the finale no less, it makes it meaningfully, tightly coherent.

But again, these are reasons that I might be using to create coherence where it doesn't exist - not with respect to the writer's original intentions anyway. But it's fun for a puzzle and I got to use a Bill Hicks joke. (Off topic) If you haven't heard his Flying Saucer Tour CD, I highly recommend it. He calls the audience "the worst audience ever", but gradually wins them over. Rest his psilocybic soul.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #320
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist
Well, I didn't say it had to be one story, but that seems to me to make more sense. I considered the thematic link between the various "headlines", but I lean toward one unified story for several reasons. First, the whatever flavor line is the first of the song, so it does not onyl describe the next few lines, but rather the rest of the song. Notice the mother holding her child part relates a single story and would add a nice parallel to this first story. Second, different "headlines" does not necessarily mean different stories, but possibly different angles of a single story. Third, does "drowned by the ocean" really sound like a headline? Fourth, he says "that's my kind of story". I realize he could be talking about just the last 'headline', but again the single story makes more sense to me. Fifth, the ability to make it one outrageous story is itself evidence. No room for multiple deaths in a story's headline? I would think some form of mass murder might have been able to be fit in somewhere. But each of these seems to describe a single, personal death. With a single story, with a suicide for the finale no less, it makes it meaningfully, tightly coherent.

But again, these are reasons that I might be using to create coherence where it doesn't exist - not with respect to the writer's original intentions anyway. But it's fun for a puzzle and I got to use a Bill Hicks joke. (Off topic) If you haven't heard his Flying Saucer Tour CD, I highly recommend it. He calls the audience "the worst audience ever", but gradually wins them over. Rest his psilocybic soul.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply