Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Thirdeye11
08-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Basically yes. I don't know what you're joking unless you clearly indicate it somehow... which you don't do. You keep on guessing if it makes you happy. Maybe I'll start checking out some Rammstein lyrics.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #841
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01 - Vicarious lyrics

Basically yes. I don't know what you're joking unless you clearly indicate it somehow... which you don't do. You keep on guessing if it makes you happy. Maybe I'll start checking out some Rammstein lyrics.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
The Corinthian
08-06-2006, 03:09 AM

Dictionary.com says this about credulous:

credulous \KREJ-uh-lus\, adjective:
1. Ready or inclined to believe on slight or uncertain evidence.
2. Based on or proceeding from a disposition to believe too readily.

based on that the word credulous makes perfect sense in the song. the person in question too readily believes in good in mankind based on uncertain evidence. The song is saying that evidence points more to mankind being vicious creatures than it does to us being kind ones, and to see otherwise is simply not looking at the facts.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #842
Level 4 - Thinker

based on that the word credulous makes perfect sense in the song. the person in question too readily believes in good in mankind based on uncertain evidence. The song is saying that evidence points more to mankind being vicious creatures than it does to us being kind ones, and to see otherwise is simply not looking at the facts.
08-06-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11
Oh! Right! You all consider Tool the best band in the world, but it's a band for you, huh? For Americans? I can't enjoy it, because I'm from another country, even if my English is good enough and they even tour in my poor little country. Just shut up and let me do what I do. We'll see when the lyrics come out. This is an opinion forum.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #843
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11
Oh! Right! You all consider Tool the best band in the world, but it's a band for you, huh? For Americans? I can't enjoy it, because I'm from another country, even if my English is good enough and they even tour in my poor little country. Just shut up and let me do what I do. We'll see when the lyrics come out. This is an opinion forum.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-06-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
teri, you always have the wildest guesses. and again, it's hard to know when you're serious or joking... :P
When I'm saying "puertorican hoe", I'm joking. When I say "tempted the devil with my song", I am not.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #844
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
teri, you always have the wildest guesses. and again, it's hard to know when you're serious or joking... :P
When I'm saying "puertorican hoe", I'm joking. When I say "tempted the devil with my song", I am not.
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
08-06-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corinthian

Yes. Entirely correct. And if anyone has read the last 2 pages or so of posts and still thinks "incredulous" makes sense here, then they need to be slapped in the face with a wet fish.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #845
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corinthian

Yes. Entirely correct. And if anyone has read the last 2 pages or so of posts and still thinks "incredulous" makes sense here, then they need to be slapped in the face with a wet fish.
08-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
and when your saying credulous(ed)? or i own the tv? jk...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #846
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
*lmao*
Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #847
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
*lmao*
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-06-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
You don't hear the d at the end of credulous? Okay, maybe that doesn't make sense at all, that's why I put the ed in brackets. ;)
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #848
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
You don't hear the d at the end of credulous? Okay, maybe that doesn't make sense at all, that's why I put the ed in brackets. ;)
08-07-2006, 05:34 AM

^ I think creduloused would be grammatically wrong, but hey, that's not my field. I agree with you.

No, I don't hear the d at the end of credulous. It's the transition from "credulous" to "at best". Keep this in mind when you listen to it next time.

And it's not "I own" *lol*. It's the transition from "O" to "N". Keep this in mind when you listen to it next time.

:P

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 08-07-2006 at 05:37 AM..
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #849
Banned.

^ I think creduloused would be grammatically wrong, but hey, that's not my field. I agree with you.

No, I don't hear the d at the end of credulous. It's the transition from "credulous" to "at best". Keep this in mind when you listen to it next time.

And it's not "I own" *lol*. It's the transition from "O" to "N". Keep this in mind when you listen to it next time.

:P

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 08-07-2006 at 05:37 AM..
08-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Yeah, "creduloused" isn't a word. I can kinda see why someone might think they can hear it though.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #850
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, "creduloused" isn't a word. I can kinda see why someone might think they can hear it though.
08-07-2006, 07:03 AM

fragile....always and forever:)
Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #851

Bincount™: 14

fragile....always and forever:)
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM

^

*slaps forehead*
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #852
Banned.

^

*slaps forehead*
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM

HEY!

Who fucked around with my signature???
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #853
Banned.

HEY!

Who fucked around with my signature???
A Spirit of Radio's Avatar A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM

maybe you did it when you slapped your forehead because i won't agree with you i guess......
Old 08-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #854

maybe you did it when you slapped your forehead because i won't agree with you i guess......
08-08-2006, 03:21 PM

cred·u·lous - adj. - 1. Disposed to believe too readily; gullible.
That credulous dumbass believes anything you say.

in·cred·u·lous - adj. - 1. Skeptical; disbelieving. 2. Expressive of disbelief.
That incredulous dumbass doesnt believe a word you say.

These words are antonymous of each other.

Taken in context with the lyrics that make up the rest of the line and song, incredulous seems the least likely of the two.

Lets look at that section of lyrics as one sentence: (In)Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.

As "Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men," this would mean: "Your desire to believe in the innate goodness in mankind is a sign of your gullibility, at best."

As "Incredulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men," this would mean: "Your desire to believe in the innate goodness in mankind is a sign of your skeptical nature, at best. While you might argue that makes just as much sense as "credulous," (and I would agree somewhat; this could be the correct lyric, though about as likely as "indirect-test" actually belonging there) when you look at the lines that follow it becomes clear that the most likely word used is "credulous," as explained below.

"...But pull your head on out [Your head please / ??] and give a listen. Shouldn't have to say it all again."

Is this something you would say to someone you are accusing of being a gullible fool who believes in the innate goodness of man or someone who skeptically continues to believe in the innate goodness of mankind, with their head up their ass, despite what you have been preaching about?

It seems to me, since Maynard seems to be trying to point out, on the surface at least, that people are evil creatures inside, living off of the misfortune and tragedy of others like vampires, that he would be calling the listener a gullible fool for continuing to believe in the innate goodness of mankind, rather then calling them a skeptical thinker, continuing to hold fast to their optimistic belief, despite all of what he has said.

Conclusion: 1. It could be either word; neither word makes the sentence a complete and proper sentence, it is a fragment either way.
2. It doesn't really matter which word it is, it shouldnt affect the overall meaning of the song, despite what the song may mean to you. The lyric is whatever you want the lyric to be! The word means whatever you want it to mean!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #855
Level 4 - Thinker

cred·u·lous - adj. - 1. Disposed to believe too readily; gullible.
That credulous dumbass believes anything you say.

in·cred·u·lous - adj. - 1. Skeptical; disbelieving. 2. Expressive of disbelief.
That incredulous dumbass doesnt believe a word you say.

These words are antonymous of each other.

Taken in context with the lyrics that make up the rest of the line and song, incredulous seems the least likely of the two.

Lets look at that section of lyrics as one sentence: (In)Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.

As "Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men," this would mean: "Your desire to believe in the innate goodness in mankind is a sign of your gullibility, at best."

As "Incredulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men," this would mean: "Your desire to believe in the innate goodness in mankind is a sign of your skeptical nature, at best. While you might argue that makes just as much sense as "credulous," (and I would agree somewhat; this could be the correct lyric, though about as likely as "indirect-test" actually belonging there) when you look at the lines that follow it becomes clear that the most likely word used is "credulous," as explained below.

"...But pull your head on out [Your head please / ??] and give a listen. Shouldn't have to say it all again."

Is this something you would say to someone you are accusing of being a gullible fool who believes in the innate goodness of man or someone who skeptically continues to believe in the innate goodness of mankind, with their head up their ass, despite what you have been preaching about?

It seems to me, since Maynard seems to be trying to point out, on the surface at least, that people are evil creatures inside, living off of the misfortune and tragedy of others like vampires, that he would be calling the listener a gullible fool for continuing to believe in the innate goodness of mankind, rather then calling them a skeptical thinker, continuing to hold fast to their optimistic belief, despite all of what he has said.

Conclusion: 1. It could be either word; neither word makes the sentence a complete and proper sentence, it is a fragment either way.
2. It doesn't really matter which word it is, it shouldnt affect the overall meaning of the song, despite what the song may mean to you. The lyric is whatever you want the lyric to be! The word means whatever you want it to mean!
jesseAK
08-08-2006, 03:22 PM

And, no, I did not read all twenty-two pages of this thread, before you ask. Sorry.

:)
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #856
Level 4 - Thinker

And, no, I did not read all twenty-two pages of this thread, before you ask. Sorry.

:)
44&4
08-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Thank You Jesse! The point I was trying to make above, but somewhat tastefully ridiculed, and slapped with a wet fish for. He's calling everybody else a liar!!! And yes, either one would work, but it seems foolish to me to call someone a gullible liar. That's how you, and I, apparently hear it, and as I said above, we won't know for sure 'til Brother Maynard sends us some lyrics......
Old 08-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #857
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Thank You Jesse! The point I was trying to make above, but somewhat tastefully ridiculed, and slapped with a wet fish for. He's calling everybody else a liar!!! And yes, either one would work, but it seems foolish to me to call someone a gullible liar. That's how you, and I, apparently hear it, and as I said above, we won't know for sure 'til Brother Maynard sends us some lyrics......
jesseAK
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Plus, it does not even sound like he's saying "incredulous." I will, however, admit that I can sometimes hear and "-ed" on the end, but I think that has to do with the next word being "at." You'll notice if you hold the "ssss" at the end of "credulous" and then follow with "at," it is actually easier to say "creduloussssssed at best" then it is to say "credulousssssssss at best" because of the way the words form on the tongue.

Here's my version of the lyrics. Those different then the ones posted in the Lyrics section of this website are in bold.

[u]Tool - Vicarious[u]

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used a poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til' someone dies

Don't look me at like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother, holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky cryin',
"Why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously, I
Live while the whole world dies
You all need it too - don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'
Neither the brave nor bold
Will write us the story so

I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance
Vicariously, I
You all feel the same so

Blood like rain come down
Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie (x4)

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
Pull your head on out
Your happy place and give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously, I
Much better you than I.

For me, the hardest line to hear in that song is the one following "Pull your head...," which I find pleasantly ironic due to the fact that the listener is being asked to "give a listen." :)

Edit: Added underlines because the bolds weren't doing it. Also, sorry again if these have been posted this way and proven wrong. As I said, I havent read the whole goddamn twenty-two pages. :)

Last edited by jesseAK; 08-09-2006 at 07:58 AM..
Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #858
Level 4 - Thinker

Plus, it does not even sound like he's saying "incredulous." I will, however, admit that I can sometimes hear and "-ed" on the end, but I think that has to do with the next word being "at." You'll notice if you hold the "ssss" at the end of "credulous" and then follow with "at," it is actually easier to say "creduloussssssed at best" then it is to say "credulousssssssss at best" because of the way the words form on the tongue.

Here's my version of the lyrics. Those different then the ones posted in the Lyrics section of this website are in bold.

[u]Tool - Vicarious[u]

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story

Don't look me at like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky cryin',
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I

Vicariously, I
You all feel the same so

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous at best
Pull your head on out

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive

We all feed on tragedy

Vicariously, I
Much better you than I.

For me, the hardest line to hear in that song is the one following "Pull your head...," which I find pleasantly ironic due to the fact that the listener is being asked to "give a listen." :)

Edit: Added underlines because the bolds weren't doing it. Also, sorry again if these have been posted this way and proven wrong. As I said, I havent read the whole goddamn twenty-two pages. :)

Last edited by jesseAK; 08-09-2006 at 07:58 AM..
08-09-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spirit of Radio
nah, I'm guessin it was the mods. This is 1984, man.

D00d, your handle rocks.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #859
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spirit of Radio
nah, I'm guessin it was the mods. This is 1984, man.

D00d, your handle rocks.
08-09-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseAK

Tool - Vicarious

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story

Don't look me at like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky cryin',
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I

Vicariously, I
You all feel the same so

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous at best
Pull your head on out

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive

We all feed on tragedy

Vicariously, I
Much better you than I.

dud, I'd agree with this 100% if it werent for the happy place. But I like how you tink. ;)
Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #860
Banned.

Quote:

Tool - Vicarious

Eye on the TV
Whatever flavor
It happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story

Don't look me at like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
Watches him die
Hands to the sky cryin',
"Why, oh why?"

From a distance
Vicariously, I

Vicariously, I
You all feel the same so

Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

Credulous at best
Pull your head on out

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive

We all feed on tragedy

Vicariously, I
Much better you than I.

dud, I'd agree with this 100% if it werent for the happy place. But I like how you tink. ;)
jesseAK
08-09-2006, 08:43 AM

I don't know if the lyrical portion of the audio you hear at concerts is more clear or less clear then what you get on the CD's but I think it would be great to have some people who have heard this live weigh in with their opinions.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #861
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't know if the lyrical portion of the audio you hear at concerts is more clear or less clear then what you get on the CD's but I think it would be great to have some people who have heard this live weigh in with their opinions.
Thirdeye11
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Not really so much that one is clearer than the other, but the more examples we have to go off of, the more accurate we can become.

For instance if you hear "Your happy place" or "Your hippy haze" and listen for both of those things while listening to a live recording, and the live recording could be both combinations, but maybe the studio version doesn't sound right with "Your happy place" phonetically, it's not a set in stone conclusion but it's certainly a step in the right direction

That was definitely a convoluted way of putting it, but hopefully more or less you get the general idea. I think we're 98% on these lyrics now, with the rest to be solved upon release of the lyrics.

Personally I think "Pull your head on out your hippy haze and give a listen" sounds right, and makes sense.

-Chad
Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #862

Quote:
Not really so much that one is clearer than the other, but the more examples we have to go off of, the more accurate we can become.

For instance if you hear "Your happy place" or "Your hippy haze" and listen for both of those things while listening to a live recording, and the live recording could be both combinations, but maybe the studio version doesn't sound right with "Your happy place" phonetically, it's not a set in stone conclusion but it's certainly a step in the right direction

That was definitely a convoluted way of putting it, but hopefully more or less you get the general idea. I think we're 98% on these lyrics now, with the rest to be solved upon release of the lyrics.

Personally I think "Pull your head on out your hippy haze and give a listen" sounds right, and makes sense.

-Chad
hyperionfall
08-09-2006, 03:29 PM

everyone is posting for vicarious "it's my kind of story, it's no fun till someone dies", but before I read any of that, I had interpreted it (and have been singing it) as: "this macabre story, is no fun till someone dies!" Thoughts? I'd love a response on this one.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #863
Level 1 - Lurker

everyone is posting for vicarious "it's my kind of story, it's no fun till someone dies", but before I read any of that, I had interpreted it (and have been singing it) as: "this macabre story, is no fun till someone dies!" Thoughts? I'd love a response on this one.
08-09-2006, 04:34 PM

^ here's your response: No.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #864
Banned.

^ here's your response: No.
Thirdeye11
08-09-2006, 05:06 PM

No.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #865

No.
jesseAK
08-11-2006, 08:21 AM

I have to agree w/ "hippy haze." I hadn't thought of that but it does sound like that, more then "happy place." Makes sense too.

So I don't have to copy/paste my version of the lyrics down again, I'd just like to change "happy place" to "hippy haze," and then im 99.99% sure on all of them. :)
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #866
Level 4 - Thinker

I have to agree w/ "hippy haze." I hadn't thought of that but it does sound like that, more then "happy place." Makes sense too.

So I don't have to copy/paste my version of the lyrics down again, I'd just like to change "happy place" to "hippy haze," and then im 99.99% sure on all of them. :)
A Spirit of Radio's Avatar A Spirit of Radio
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM

i like hippy haze very well too.
it fits and it sounds like something maynard would say.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #867

i like hippy haze very well too.
it fits and it sounds like something maynard would say.
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM

anyone remember, not too many posts ago, when I said it's "hippie-eees"?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #868
Banned.

anyone remember, not too many posts ago, when I said it's "hippie-eees"?
jesseAK
08-14-2006, 08:20 AM

What's "hippie-eeees" mean, besides sounding a lot like hippie-haze? :)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #869
Level 4 - Thinker

What's "hippie-eeees" mean, besides sounding a lot like hippie-haze? :)
08-14-2006, 08:23 AM

^ its an elongated "hippies". Makes perfect sense.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #870
Banned.

^ its an elongated "hippies". Makes perfect sense.
08-14-2006, 08:50 AM

^ I assume you mean "pull your head on out YOU hippies" and not "pull your head on out YOUR hippies". My head isn't in a hippy :)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #871
Level 8 - Vociferous

^ I assume you mean "pull your head on out YOU hippies" and not "pull your head on out YOUR hippies". My head isn't in a hippy :)
08-14-2006, 09:09 AM

^ of course.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #872
Banned.

^ of course.
Thirdeye11
08-14-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
^ of course.
I'm going to go with no on "hippie-eeees".
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #873

Quote:
^ of course.
I'm going to go with no on "hippie-eeees".
jesseAK
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Ahh, I see.

Well, I tried to listen for "pull your head on out, you hippie-ees, and give a listen," but I just can't hear it that way. While I wont deny that anything is possible, I'm still 90% behind "your hippie-haze," 7% behind "your happy haze," and 3% behind "your happy place."
Old 08-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #874
Level 4 - Thinker

Ahh, I see.

Well, I tried to listen for "pull your head on out, you hippie-ees, and give a listen," but I just can't hear it that way. While I wont deny that anything is possible, I'm still 90% behind "your hippie-haze," 7% behind "your happy haze," and 3% behind "your happy place."
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

oh well, not every1 is perfect... ;)
Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #875
Banned.

oh well, not every1 is perfect... ;)
tabula.rassa's Avatar tabula.rassa
08-15-2006, 09:11 AM

i'm pretty positive it's "hippy haze"...

it just makes sence...

not that that's important.

-PeAcE...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #876
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

it just makes sence...

-PeAcE...
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah, it's not that critical of a line. Pull your head on out ________ and give a listen.

Fill in the blank, it is all the same. :)
Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #877
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah, it's not that critical of a line. Pull your head on out ________ and give a listen.

Fill in the blank, it is all the same. :)
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
08-15-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabula.rassa

it just makes sence...

-PeAcE...
I don't think it's hippy haze...that term "hippy" went out with the seventies...I doubt he'd ressurrect it in that manner...I think he's saying "happy haze" because in the context of the this song and lyrics from other songs, it makes the most sense.

In the context of Vicarious, hes talking about how he watches the current events on TV and he sees the bigger picture of what's going on, but there are a lot of people that are either ignoring the reality and state of the world, or are too oblivious and wrapped up in their own little "happy haze" of a world that they don't realize what's going on and it is my opinion of the song, that's its a wake up call.

I know you'll argue that the hippies are known for being stoned all the time and thus the "hippy haze", but I just don't think that is what he was saying..it just doen't quite fit to me. Not only that, there is no short "i" sound that he's singing. I clearly hear a short "a" sound

Also his lyrics from his APC song "pet" which I think also relates to this song and goes along with the theme of Vicarious or at least lays groundwork to his prior thoughts on this that IMHO have only gotten stronger as indicated by the lyrics of Vicarious.

Pet

Don't fret precious I'm here, step away from the window
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
I won't let the boogeyman come

Counting bodies like sheep
To the rhythm of the war drums

Pay no mind to the rabble

Head down, go to sleep

Pay no mind what other voices say
They don't care about you, like I do, like I do
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do.

Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
Count the bodies like sheep

Head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons

A will to survive and a voice of reason

Your enemies and your choices son
They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself

Swayin to the rhythm of the new world order and
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums

The boogeymen are coming
The boogeymen are coming

Keep your head down, go to sleep, to the rhythm of a war drums

Stay with me
Safe and ignorant
Just stay with me
Hold you and protect you from the other ones
The evil ones
Don't love you son,
Go back to sleep

Last edited by SunBurN; 08-16-2006 at 10:14 AM..
Old 08-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #878

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabula.rassa

it just makes sence...

-PeAcE...
I don't think it's hippy haze...that term "hippy" went out with the seventies...I doubt he'd ressurrect it in that manner...I think he's saying "happy haze" because in the context of the this song and lyrics from other songs, it makes the most sense.

In the context of Vicarious, hes talking about how he watches the current events on TV and he sees the bigger picture of what's going on, but there are a lot of people that are either ignoring the reality and state of the world, or are too oblivious and wrapped up in their own little "happy haze" of a world that they don't realize what's going on and it is my opinion of the song, that's its a wake up call.

I know you'll argue that the hippies are known for being stoned all the time and thus the "hippy haze", but I just don't think that is what he was saying..it just doen't quite fit to me. Not only that, there is no short "i" sound that he's singing. I clearly hear a short "a" sound

Also his lyrics from his APC song "pet" which I think also relates to this song and goes along with the theme of Vicarious or at least lays groundwork to his prior thoughts on this that IMHO have only gotten stronger as indicated by the lyrics of Vicarious.

Pet

Don't fret precious I'm here, step away from the window
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child

Counting bodies like sheep

Head down, go to sleep

Pay no mind what other voices say
They don't care about you, like I do, like I do
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do.

Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
Count the bodies like sheep

Head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Your enemies and all your demons

A will to survive and a voice of reason

Your enemies and your choices son
They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself

Swayin to the rhythm of the new world order and
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums

The boogeymen are coming
The boogeymen are coming

Keep your head down, go to sleep, to the rhythm of a war drums

Stay with me
Safe and ignorant
Just stay with me
Hold you and protect you from the other ones
The evil ones
Don't love you son,
Go back to sleep

Last edited by SunBurN; 08-16-2006 at 10:14 AM..
LetGoLetgoLetGo's Avatar LetGoLetgoLetGo
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM

The term "hippie" has been retired for 30 years?

Well, I suppose I was told as a young lad that I would learn something new everyday.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #879
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Well, I suppose I was told as a young lad that I would learn something new everyday.
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGoLetgoLetGo

Well I haven't heard of anyone being referred to as "hippies" in the 80's, 90's or beyond. Have you? Honestly? Whenever you think of the term "hippy", you think of the 60's and early 70's don't you?

Here's a whole background on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippy

and through reading it, I admit that there are some aspects of the hippy culture that has flourished throughout the 80's, 90's and beyond, but the lable hippy, really isn't prevalent as it once was.

So with that in mind, I just don't think that MJK is saying that in the lyrics of Vicarious. But who knows, (well he does) I may be proven wrong some day when the lyrics are released, but until then, I'm going with "happy haze" which makes the most sense to me and is what I've heard all along.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGoLetgoLetGo

Well I haven't heard of anyone being referred to as "hippies" in the 80's, 90's or beyond. Have you? Honestly? Whenever you think of the term "hippy", you think of the 60's and early 70's don't you?

Here's a whole background on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippy

and through reading it, I admit that there are some aspects of the hippy culture that has flourished throughout the 80's, 90's and beyond, but the lable hippy, really isn't prevalent as it once was.

So with that in mind, I just don't think that MJK is saying that in the lyrics of Vicarious. But who knows, (well he does) I may be proven wrong some day when the lyrics are released, but until then, I'm going with "happy haze" which makes the most sense to me and is what I've heard all along.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply