Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
09-23-2004, 04:44 PM

got a new more layered schism version up with the correct triplet part.

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality1

something you might not like is the choruses are layered, but erratically, they alternate between layered and unlayered, i tried to compensate by spatial rotation, etc.. and it has a nice effect, but it's also somewhat awkward.....

(this is because i just deleted the wrong triplets from my original track, and then recorded over it with both sets of triplets... )
it goes like

track 1: 10, 9, 10, 9 |..silence...|10, 9.....etc
track 2: 10, 9, 10, 9 | 9,7, 9, 7 | 10, 9....etc

and because of this editing I redid the unmuted tripltets, they sound a bit better but there is some low end scrapey bad recording stuff, i hope the bass will cover that up.

i also put a harmonic on top of the heavy part.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #321
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
Re: Tribute to Tool Part II

got a new more layered schism version up with the correct triplet part.

something you might not like is the choruses are layered, but erratically, they alternate between layered and unlayered, i tried to compensate by spatial rotation, etc.. and it has a nice effect, but it's also somewhat awkward.....

(this is because i just deleted the wrong triplets from my original track, and then recorded over it with both sets of triplets... )
it goes like

track 1: 10, 9, 10, 9 |..silence...|10, 9.....etc
track 2: 10, 9, 10, 9 | 9,7, 9, 7 | 10, 9....etc

and because of this editing I redid the unmuted tripltets, they sound a bit better but there is some low end scrapey bad recording stuff, i hope the bass will cover that up.

i also put a harmonic on top of the heavy part.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Ronch
09-23-2004, 08:11 PM

Was it ronartest with that jent band? whoever it was, i can't be bothered going back through the pages to find out - but seriously guys, judging by the level of talent shown so far (holy's guitar for starters), you are gonna have to do alot better than that singer.

sorry, i've heard alot of people in this thread saying alot of good things about him, but i just don't see it ...

EML's schism was pretty good too ..

Goddamn I wish I had some recording gear. Best I could do is my inbuilt laptop mic, and I'm not even gonna bother with that. And then of course there's the issues of posting it, which would take me about 15 years to figure out ...

Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents in, particularly on holy's guitar . .. nice ... that little intro was pretty sweet too
Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #322
Banned.

Bincount™: 695

Was it ronartest with that jent band? whoever it was, i can't be bothered going back through the pages to find out - but seriously guys, judging by the level of talent shown so far (holy's guitar for starters), you are gonna have to do alot better than that singer.

sorry, i've heard alot of people in this thread saying alot of good things about him, but i just don't see it ...

Goddamn I wish I had some recording gear. Best I could do is my inbuilt laptop mic, and I'm not even gonna bother with that. And then of course there's the issues of posting it, which would take me about 15 years to figure out ...

Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents in, particularly on holy's guitar . .. nice ... that little intro was pretty sweet too
EricMatthewLeavell
09-23-2004, 10:43 PM

Holy's doing a good job, the tone... ehh... it's alright, but playing and dedication shown is pretty good... I mean, i'd contribute more frequently if I had time.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #323
Banned.

Bincount™: 23

Holy's doing a good job, the tone... ehh... it's alright, but playing and dedication shown is pretty good... I mean, i'd contribute more frequently if I had time.
Ronch
09-24-2004, 06:11 AM

If I knew any computer boffins who could set me up I'd post every tool bass track known to man .. but unfortunately I don't, nor do I have any recording gear .. oh well ..
Old 09-24-2004, 06:11 AM   #324
Banned.

If I knew any computer boffins who could set me up I'd post every tool bass track known to man .. but unfortunately I don't, nor do I have any recording gear .. oh well ..
09-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell
i think he's saying some other guy "jent band" ? wtf ? sucks and that i'm "talented" ... because he says

"Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents in, particularly on holy's guitar . .. nice ... that little intro was pretty sweet too"

but ronch that was confusing as fuck.

"Was it ronartest with that jent band? whoever it was, i can't be bothered going back through the pages to find out - but seriously guys, judging by the level of talent shown so far (holy's guitar for starters), you are gonna have to do alot better than that singer. "

i guess.. you're saying we're all damn good but the singer sucked? Well AOM is doing, as far as I know, the schism vocals and he's amazing from the small clip I've heard.

anyway i'm not a great guitarist and my tone is sort of sucky but i'd say i'm doing pretty damn fine, at least, at the task of covering tool.....

now i do remember this one guitarist that posted lateralus, and it was good playing, but the quality was god awful, maybe that's what you meant.... ah well i'm confused.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell
i think he's saying some other guy "jent band" ? wtf ? sucks and that i'm "talented" ... because he says

"Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents in, particularly on holy's guitar . .. nice ... that little intro was pretty sweet too"

but ronch that was confusing as fuck.

"Was it ronartest with that jent band? whoever it was, i can't be bothered going back through the pages to find out - but seriously guys, judging by the level of talent shown so far (holy's guitar for starters), you are gonna have to do alot better than that singer. "

i guess.. you're saying we're all damn good but the singer sucked? Well AOM is doing, as far as I know, the schism vocals and he's amazing from the small clip I've heard.

anyway i'm not a great guitarist and my tone is sort of sucky but i'd say i'm doing pretty damn fine, at least, at the task of covering tool.....

now i do remember this one guitarist that posted lateralus, and it was good playing, but the quality was god awful, maybe that's what you meant.... ah well i'm confused.
6:02's Avatar 6:02
09-24-2004, 04:19 PM

The order of which instrument first (bass, guitar) shouldn't matter.
Although, (I've noticed) songs tend to be slightly more productive when a creative bassist gets the first say.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #326
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 100

The order of which instrument first (bass, guitar) shouldn't matter.
Although, (I've noticed) songs tend to be slightly more productive when a creative bassist gets the first say.
09-26-2004, 02:06 PM

Yep, you're right on the money Holy, sorry I tend to be a bit scattered sometimes, and I forget that OTHER people are reading what I write - if you see what I mean.

But you got the jist of it ...

I'll also have to say I agree 100% with the previous post, but being a bassist myself - I'm probably bias :)
Old 09-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #327
Banned.

Yep, you're right on the money Holy, sorry I tend to be a bit scattered sometimes, and I forget that OTHER people are reading what I write - if you see what I mean.

But you got the jist of it ...

I'll also have to say I agree 100% with the previous post, but being a bassist myself - I'm probably bias :)
flawed's Avatar flawed
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM

If you plan on playing Eulogy then im pretty decent at playing it on guitar.. so just let me know
Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #328
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 39

If you plan on playing Eulogy then im pretty decent at playing it on guitar.. so just let me know
10-03-2004, 10:05 AM

are you guys still working on schism? I might like to have it done within another week and a half or so, so i can use it as a "visual aide" to show off my mad skills to my physical science class and impress the ladies... i guess the topic would be sound, or amplification, or something.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #329

are you guys still working on schism? I might like to have it done within another week and a half or so, so i can use it as a "visual aide" to show off my mad skills to my physical science class and impress the ladies... i guess the topic would be sound, or amplification, or something.
EricMatthewLeavell
10-03-2004, 11:01 AM

well, my english class started and like, i have no time, but i'm trying, and my real life band is starting to get a little more invovled, so i'm having a lot less time for this, but i'll try.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 AM   #330
Banned.

Bincount™: 23

well, my english class started and like, i have no time, but i'm trying, and my real life band is starting to get a little more invovled, so i'm having a lot less time for this, but i'll try.
RonArtest
10-03-2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch

Yeah thats me with the "Innergy" band/

http://jent.dmusic.com/

All these recordings are done w/ a CAMERA and a shitty vocal mic.

I know own a SM58 and have the ability to record very high quality stuff.

NOTHING ON THE LINK ABOVE IS "HIGH QUALITY."

It distorts my voice like mad, so you can't judge shit by those files...you can just hear what my band sounds like, as a whole.

Anyways, i'll post some Tool vocals that'll blow your all's mind at somepoint, and no arguements will occur.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:00 PM   #331
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch

Yeah thats me with the "Innergy" band/

http://jent.dmusic.com/

All these recordings are done w/ a CAMERA and a shitty vocal mic.

I know own a SM58 and have the ability to record very high quality stuff.

NOTHING ON THE LINK ABOVE IS "HIGH QUALITY."

It distorts my voice like mad, so you can't judge shit by those files...you can just hear what my band sounds like, as a whole.

Anyways, i'll post some Tool vocals that'll blow your all's mind at somepoint, and no arguements will occur.
10-03-2004, 05:46 PM

damn, why were you banned?
Old 10-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #332

damn, why were you banned?
10-12-2004, 04:46 PM

i made a little triad clip... i'm not sure exactly how the intro solo is supposed to go, and i just wasn't feeling it like i was the other day, the feedback and wah pedal weren't clicking like they should.... but anyway..... this is the gist of triad.... what do you all think?

and what's going on with schism dammit???
Old 10-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #333

i made a little triad clip... i'm not sure exactly how the intro solo is supposed to go, and i just wasn't feeling it like i was the other day, the feedback and wah pedal weren't clicking like they should.... but anyway..... this is the gist of triad.... what do you all think?

and what's going on with schism dammit???
10-29-2004, 08:23 AM

i put up a good version of schism where i finished the layering
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality1

don't let this thread die dammit.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #334

i put up a good version of schism where i finished the layering
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality1

don't let this thread die dammit.
chloë's Avatar chloë
10-31-2004, 03:47 AM

you guys should do parabola.

holy: your stuff sounds really good. whatŽs your gear?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:47 AM   #335
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

you guys should do parabola.

holy: your stuff sounds really good. whatŽs your gear?
10-31-2004, 10:07 AM

agile 2500 lp
marshall mg100 dfx
teese rmc3 wah
direct out into cool edit pro 2.0

i should be getting a vox ad30 modeler for portability soon, except my bank is incompetent (and so am i) and there have been a lot of debit card issues... i cancelled my order and used my mom's card but MF hasn't even sent me a confirmation email that they got the order yet, i'm thinking maybe they don't do that on weekends, i hope.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:07 AM   #336

agile 2500 lp
marshall mg100 dfx
teese rmc3 wah
direct out into cool edit pro 2.0

i should be getting a vox ad30 modeler for portability soon, except my bank is incompetent (and so am i) and there have been a lot of debit card issues... i cancelled my order and used my mom's card but MF hasn't even sent me a confirmation email that they got the order yet, i'm thinking maybe they don't do that on weekends, i hope.
n00b
10-31-2004, 12:11 PM

I don't think I have adequate equipment.

Therefore I'm giving up 46&2 so that someone with more skill and better stuff can make a better recording.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:11 PM   #337
Banned.

Bincount™: 822

I don't think I have adequate equipment.

Therefore I'm giving up 46&2 so that someone with more skill and better stuff can make a better recording.
11-01-2004, 05:47 PM

were you the one with the 46 and 2 guitar? It wasn't that bad.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #338

were you the one with the 46 and 2 guitar? It wasn't that bad.
n00b
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM

i dunno
Old 11-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #339
Banned.

Bincount™: 822

i dunno
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM

i've got a new amp and an ebow coming!

yay!

vox ad30 ... i'm hoping i can get teh t00l ton3z out of it.... i think i can but i'm not entirely sure yet.....
Old 11-02-2004, 01:46 PM   #340

i've got a new amp and an ebow coming!

yay!

vox ad30 ... i'm hoping i can get teh t00l ton3z out of it.... i think i can but i'm not entirely sure yet.....
IC's Avatar IC
11-02-2004, 02:24 PM

on thursday Im going to be bringing my set upstairs and redoing a bunch of junk and try to come up with something were the quality isnt too terrible..def redo stinkfist, and I'll just do as much as I can.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 PM   #341
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

on thursday Im going to be bringing my set upstairs and redoing a bunch of junk and try to come up with something were the quality isnt too terrible..def redo stinkfist, and I'll just do as much as I can.
11-14-2004, 06:43 PM

i can play most Tool songs on guitar... and i can do vocals pretty well too... there's only one note maynard uses that i can't hit well.... let me know by PM if you need anything recorded
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #342
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

i can play most Tool songs on guitar... and i can do vocals pretty well too... there's only one note maynard uses that i can't hit well.... let me know by PM if you need anything recorded
01-20-2005, 06:01 AM

whoa!!! Wicked idea! I know most songs off Aenima and Lateralus on guitar. Part of Me, Prison Sex, Sober and Crawl Away. Is this thing still on?

P.S. Sorry I can't read over 300 posts.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:01 AM   #343
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 136

whoa!!! Wicked idea! I know most songs off Aenima and Lateralus on guitar. Part of Me, Prison Sex, Sober and Crawl Away. Is this thing still on?

P.S. Sorry I can't read over 300 posts.
01-24-2005, 07:35 AM

ill do 46 & 2 if anyone needs it (or any song for that matter) piece of cake, pm me.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #344
Level 7 - Loquacious

ill do 46 & 2 if anyone needs it (or any song for that matter) piece of cake, pm me.
01-24-2005, 11:13 AM

I'd love to play Laturalus on guitar.... or Prison Sex.... or H. or Stinkfist or all four :)
Old 01-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #345
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'd love to play Laturalus on guitar.... or Prison Sex.... or H. or Stinkfist or all four :)
02-07-2005, 07:10 AM

I know this is an old post....but, if you guys are still doing this, I can sing pretty good so i am told.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 AM   #346
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

I know this is an old post....but, if you guys are still doing this, I can sing pretty good so i am told.
02-07-2005, 10:07 AM

thank you for keeping it alive heh. My studio's almost done, Im gonna redo Schism, I'll do Sober, 46&2, and Aenema
Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #347
IC
resident flamer

thank you for keeping it alive heh. My studio's almost done, Im gonna redo Schism, I'll do Sober, 46&2, and Aenema
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Yeah...no problem...but I'm too lazy to read the whole thing
Anyways, did any of these tributes get done?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #348
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Yeah...no problem...but I'm too lazy to read the whole thing
Anyways, did any of these tributes get done?
02-07-2005, 07:03 PM

But...if you're still up for it, I'd definitely do some vocals...or at least try out and see if you like it.

I might add that I'm not the greatest screamer ever.
But I can yell pretty good.

Last edited by people_do_like_me; 02-07-2005 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #349
Level 7 - Loquacious

But...if you're still up for it, I'd definitely do some vocals...or at least try out and see if you like it.

I might add that I'm not the greatest screamer ever.
But I can yell pretty good.

Last edited by people_do_like_me; 02-07-2005 at 07:06 PM..
people_do_like_me's Avatar people_do_like_me
02-07-2005, 07:10 PM

I was going through the posts and stuff.
I listened to RonArtest's band.....they're pretty good.
And they have good potential.
They could probably go somewhere if they tried.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #350
Level 7 - Loquacious

I was going through the posts and stuff.
I listened to RonArtest's band.....they're pretty good.
And they have good potential.
They could probably go somewhere if they tried.
02-07-2005, 07:26 PM

we almost finished schism
I have four versions of me and holyreality, different mixes, and I believe one with the full instrumentals with guitar drums and bass is floating around out there..
Old 02-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #351
IC
resident flamer

we almost finished schism
I have four versions of me and holyreality, different mixes, and I believe one with the full instrumentals with guitar drums and bass is floating around out there..
02-07-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't exactly get how you're recording this....are you just recording something....sending it to the guitarists/bassist/vocalist and they add their part, or are you guys actually meeting in a studio?
Because if you're meeting in a studio, I definitely couldn't do it because you live in New Jersey and I just got my driver's licence, and I'm only 16.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #352
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't exactly get how you're recording this....are you just recording something....sending it to the guitarists/bassist/vocalist and they add their part, or are you guys actually meeting in a studio?
Because if you're meeting in a studio, I definitely couldn't do it because you live in New Jersey and I just got my driver's licence, and I'm only 16.
02-12-2005, 08:33 PM

we record then send the audio files, and then each guy adds his part
Old 02-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #353
IC
resident flamer

we record then send the audio files, and then each guy adds his part
03-03-2005, 08:25 PM

how atrocious
Old 03-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #354
Level 9 - Obstreperous

how atrocious
jonathan2994
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM

I'm doing my own tribute to TooL. I just can't decide which song I want to cover.

When I cover a song, I take one that has potential but doesn't live up to it. Should I cover The Patient or Eulogy? No flames, though. I think those songs could be better, and everyone else seems to think they're the best on each album.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #355
Banned.

Bincount™: 48

I'm doing my own tribute to TooL. I just can't decide which song I want to cover.

When I cover a song, I take one that has potential but doesn't live up to it. Should I cover The Patient or Eulogy? No flames, though. I think those songs could be better, and everyone else seems to think they're the best on each album.
LEARN.2.SWiM's Avatar LEARN.2.SWiM
04-11-2005, 06:03 AM

I'd love to help with guitar or vocals on any cover, let me know, please.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 AM   #356
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'd love to help with guitar or vocals on any cover, let me know, please.
04-11-2005, 02:02 PM

If I had some vocal recording equipment I'd love to add something, especially The Patient or Schism. Ho hum, perhaps I can nag a few guys from school to do it with me, and post it up in here fo all yall. Word.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #357
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

If I had some vocal recording equipment I'd love to add something, especially The Patient or Schism. Ho hum, perhaps I can nag a few guys from school to do it with me, and post it up in here fo all yall. Word.
04-11-2005, 05:06 PM

some of these just suck, but some are good.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #358
Banned.

Bincount™: 48

some of these just suck, but some are good.
Lateral Us's Avatar Lateral Us
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM

Some things i noticed about the drumming, some of the parts arewnt done corresctly. Such as the beginning, this is how it is played on the TDN recording:

H |dxx-x-x-x-dxx-x-X---x-x-|dxx-x-x-x-dxx-x-x-O---x-|
S |------o-------------o---|------o-------------o---|
B |--o---------o---o-------|--o---------o---o-o-----|
|1e+ 2 + 3 +a4 + 5 + 6 + |1e+ 2 + 3 +a4 + 5 + 6 + |

It should be played like this:

B |o-o-------o-o---o-------|o-o-------o-o---o-o-----|

The difference is the bass drum, whee you do the triplets on the hat, there is a kick on the 1, & also on the A, so its 1(kick) e and a(Kick) 2 and(Snare) 3.......

Its kinda hard trying to exaplain over the net, but do you get what im saying IC.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #359
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Some things i noticed about the drumming, some of the parts arewnt done corresctly. Such as the beginning, this is how it is played on the TDN recording:

The difference is the bass drum, whee you do the triplets on the hat, there is a kick on the 1, & also on the A, so its 1(kick) e and a(Kick) 2 and(Snare) 3.......

Its kinda hard trying to exaplain over the net, but do you get what im saying IC.
IC's Avatar IC
04-16-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Us

I appreciate this, and it would be very helpful, except what the hell song are you talking about lol ...schism? i dont read drum tabs very well- I have the sheet music for this but I had learned it by ear. But after reading over it I think i know what you mean. I coulnt tell origionally if that was the electric bass or the bass drum. There you go ;) other than that, is it too bad?
Old 04-16-2005, 07:27 AM   #360
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Us

I appreciate this, and it would be very helpful, except what the hell song are you talking about lol ...schism? i dont read drum tabs very well- I have the sheet music for this but I had learned it by ear. But after reading over it I think i know what you mean. I coulnt tell origionally if that was the electric bass or the bass drum. There you go ;) other than that, is it too bad?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply