Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
emotional masturbation's Avatar emotional masturbation
12-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Grief is a somewhat commplicated and misunderstood emotion. Yet, grief is something that, unfortunately, we must all experience at some time or other. We will all inevitably experience loss. Whether it is a loss through death, divorce or some other loss, the stages of grieving are the same.

There are five stages of grief. If we get stuck in one stage or the other, the process of grieving is not complete, and cannot be complete. Thus there will be no healing. A person MUST go through the five stages to be well again, to heal. Not everyone goes through the stages at the same time. It is different for each person. You cannot force a person through the stages, they have to go at their own pace, and you may go one step forward then take two steps backward, but this is all part of the process, and individual to each person. But, as stressed, ALL five stages must be completed for healing to occur.

The five stages of grief are:

1-Denial-"this can't be happening to me", looking for the former spouse in familia places, or if it is death, setting the table for the person or acting as if they are still in living there. No crying. Not accepting or even acknowledging the loss.

2-Anger-"why me?", feelings of wanting to fight back or get even with spouse of divorce, for death, anger at the deceased, blaming them for leaving.

3-Bargaining-bargaining often takes place before the loss. Attempting to make deals with the spouse who is leaving, or attempting to make deals with God to stop or change the loss. Begging, wishing, praying for them to come back.

4-Depression-overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, self pity, mourning loss of person as well as the hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling lack of control, feeling numb. Perhaps feeling suicidal.

5-Acceptance-there is a difference between resignation and acceptance. You have to accept the loss, not just try to bear it quietly. Realization that it takes two to make or break a marriage. Realization that the person is gone (in death) that it is not their fault, they didn't leave you on purpose. (even in cases of suicide, often the deceased person, was not in their right frame of mind) Finding the good that can come out of the pain of loss, finding comfort and healing. Our goals turn toward personal growth. Stay with fond memories of person.

1 - Undertow
2 - Aenima
3 - Lateralus
4 - Ten thousand days
5 - ...

Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Five stages of Grief

Grief is a somewhat commplicated and misunderstood emotion. Yet, grief is something that, unfortunately, we must all experience at some time or other. We will all inevitably experience loss. Whether it is a loss through death, divorce or some other loss, the stages of grieving are the same.

There are five stages of grief. If we get stuck in one stage or the other, the process of grieving is not complete, and cannot be complete. Thus there will be no healing. A person MUST go through the five stages to be well again, to heal. Not everyone goes through the stages at the same time. It is different for each person. You cannot force a person through the stages, they have to go at their own pace, and you may go one step forward then take two steps backward, but this is all part of the process, and individual to each person. But, as stressed, ALL five stages must be completed for healing to occur.

The five stages of grief are:

1-Denial-"this can't be happening to me", looking for the former spouse in familia places, or if it is death, setting the table for the person or acting as if they are still in living there. No crying. Not accepting or even acknowledging the loss.

2-Anger-"why me?", feelings of wanting to fight back or get even with spouse of divorce, for death, anger at the deceased, blaming them for leaving.

3-Bargaining-bargaining often takes place before the loss. Attempting to make deals with the spouse who is leaving, or attempting to make deals with God to stop or change the loss. Begging, wishing, praying for them to come back.

4-Depression-overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, self pity, mourning loss of person as well as the hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling lack of control, feeling numb. Perhaps feeling suicidal.

5-Acceptance-there is a difference between resignation and acceptance. You have to accept the loss, not just try to bear it quietly. Realization that it takes two to make or break a marriage. Realization that the person is gone (in death) that it is not their fault, they didn't leave you on purpose. (even in cases of suicide, often the deceased person, was not in their right frame of mind) Finding the good that can come out of the pain of loss, finding comfort and healing. Our goals turn toward personal growth. Stay with fond memories of person.

1 - Undertow
2 - Aenima
3 - Lateralus
4 - Ten thousand days
5 - ...

Just a thought.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Khastra_KSC's Avatar Khastra_KSC
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM

very interesting.....

oh fuck... i just remembered an interview where maynard is talking about people's opinions on TOOL or something... anyways,

he says something about how he kinda uses his music to heal or something.
anyways, i thought it was interesting.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
formerly [i]from death we are nothing[/i]

Bincount™: 173
Re: Five stages of Grief

very interesting.....

oh fuck... i just remembered an interview where maynard is talking about people's opinions on TOOL or something... anyways,

he says something about how he kinda uses his music to heal or something.
anyways, i thought it was interesting.
flawlessme's Avatar flawlessme
12-04-2006, 07:33 PM

I dun see how it all fits, but nice read anyway.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dun see how it all fits, but nice read anyway.
12-04-2006, 08:46 PM

i always thought about this too, you can even throw in APC's songs too.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

i always thought about this too, you can even throw in APC's songs too.
emotional masturbation's Avatar emotional masturbation
12-05-2006, 05:04 AM

Well i wasnt guessing songs, but albuns. I think most of tools work reflect on maynard's pain about his mother being paralyzed and later her death. It's obviously a huge event that affected him through out his whole life.. So the other day i ran across the five stages of grief and it kinda clicked.

1 - Undertow may be seen as a denial album, with songs like Sober, Crawl away, Undertow and Flood. Flood could be that familiar place he went to. Sober is sort of self-destructive. No crying.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done.

2 - Aenima is clearly angry towards many things - Eulogy, Hooker with a penis, Aenema and even Pushit. Ranting and pointing the finger at so many things, consumed by his own pain.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together

3 - Lateralus curiously took place right before the loss. It is the most rational album of all. I guess The Patient is the better example of him talking about the price to pay to keep her alive. I wouldnt like to say the whole album is a deal with god, but..

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

4 - Ten Thousand Days depressing? No doubt, if you listen to Wings.. Plus there is Jambi. Again, pointing the finger, just not so furiously. Like he didnt care that much anymore. Yet there is some bitterness.

But I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

5 - So, I think the next tool album will be the last one, finally reflecting Acceptance. Who knows.

Maybe there's a pattern. Maybe not.

Last edited by emotional masturbation; 12-05-2006 at 05:07 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Well i wasnt guessing songs, but albuns. I think most of tools work reflect on maynard's pain about his mother being paralyzed and later her death. It's obviously a huge event that affected him through out his whole life.. So the other day i ran across the five stages of grief and it kinda clicked.

1 - Undertow may be seen as a denial album, with songs like Sober, Crawl away, Undertow and Flood. Flood could be that familiar place he went to. Sober is sort of self-destructive. No crying.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done.

2 - Aenima is clearly angry towards many things - Eulogy, Hooker with a penis, Aenema and even Pushit. Ranting and pointing the finger at so many things, consumed by his own pain.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together

3 - Lateralus curiously took place right before the loss. It is the most rational album of all. I guess The Patient is the better example of him talking about the price to pay to keep her alive. I wouldnt like to say the whole album is a deal with god, but..

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

4 - Ten Thousand Days depressing? No doubt, if you listen to Wings.. Plus there is Jambi. Again, pointing the finger, just not so furiously. Like he didnt care that much anymore. Yet there is some bitterness.

But I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

5 - So, I think the next tool album will be the last one, finally reflecting Acceptance. Who knows.

Maybe there's a pattern. Maybe not.

Last edited by emotional masturbation; 12-05-2006 at 05:07 AM..
L0g1c
12-05-2006, 10:41 AM

penis

Last edited by L0g1c; 12-05-2006 at 10:45 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

penis

Last edited by L0g1c; 12-05-2006 at 10:45 AM..
plexus's Avatar plexus
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM

you dont actually think that maynard planned out his career of almost 2 decades to follow these '5 stages of grief, do you? this is just some kind of more than loose interpretation, right?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

you dont actually think that maynard planned out his career of almost 2 decades to follow these '5 stages of grief, do you? this is just some kind of more than loose interpretation, right?
pork chops's Avatar pork chops
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM

i think people have too much time on their hands.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 10891

Chronicle0's Avatar Chronicle0
12-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
i dont think he's saying maynard or anyone in tool planned it out. but he's pointing out the pattern that is seen. Maybe Tool meant it or not, not like we'll definately know.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
i dont think he's saying maynard or anyone in tool planned it out. but he's pointing out the pattern that is seen. Maybe Tool meant it or not, not like we'll definately know.
PShepherd11's Avatar PShepherd11
12-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork chops View Post
I think it's good when people use their extra time to think and analyze instead of wasting it on other unproductive pastimes.

Not that I necessarily agree with the theory originally posted, but I always thought their albums gradually got less angry since Opiate. Although I thought Lateralus would be their last, since it's the most calming to me.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork chops View Post
I think it's good when people use their extra time to think and analyze instead of wasting it on other unproductive pastimes.

Not that I necessarily agree with the theory originally posted, but I always thought their albums gradually got less angry since Opiate. Although I thought Lateralus would be their last, since it's the most calming to me.
tomisatool's Avatar tomisatool
12-06-2006, 09:43 PM

...no Opiate?

You'd think that would be the denile album as Sober and Intolerance seem to show a sort of acceptance with lyrics like "Why can we not be sober" and "I've been far too sympathetic"

Again, I know I'm preaching to no one, but this whole chain of Tool songs thing is being way overdone. Cool idea I guess, but I don't think the band was thinking back in the Opiate/Undertow days about how much they wanted to make a chain of CD's that showed all of the emotions of the stages of grief. However, the coincidental ideas are pretty cool.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

...no Opiate?

You'd think that would be the denile album as Sober and Intolerance seem to show a sort of acceptance with lyrics like "Why can we not be sober" and "I've been far too sympathetic"

Again, I know I'm preaching to no one, but this whole chain of Tool songs thing is being way overdone. Cool idea I guess, but I don't think the band was thinking back in the Opiate/Undertow days about how much they wanted to make a chain of CD's that showed all of the emotions of the stages of grief. However, the coincidental ideas are pretty cool.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply