Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
conawayb
08-26-2006, 06:24 PM

I was just wondering. I hear people say that this is one of the worst Tool songs. I personally love this song. I know it's nowhere their best work. But its got the Undertow influence too it, Maynard proves he can still get those high notes and, as a guitar player myself, I love Adam Jones's parts But then again, I don't think there is such a thing as the worst Tool song. Anyone care to elaborate on why they think this is the worst Tool song?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3
Why is it people don't like this song?

I was just wondering. I hear people say that this is one of the worst Tool songs. I personally love this song. I know it's nowhere their best work. But its got the Undertow influence too it, Maynard proves he can still get those high notes and, as a guitar player myself, I love Adam Jones's parts But then again, I don't think there is such a thing as the worst Tool song. Anyone care to elaborate on why they think this is the worst Tool song?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
08-28-2006, 09:33 PM

probably because of the singing. when i first heard this song i thought it was ridiculous, but then it really grew on me.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

probably because of the singing. when i first heard this song i thought it was ridiculous, but then it really grew on me.
08-29-2006, 02:17 AM

It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.
SpiraMirabilis's Avatar SpiraMirabilis
08-29-2006, 03:46 AM

I love the Pot; I love the singing at the start and the funky bass line. However, I would still say it is the worst song on the album, except of couse Lipan Conjuring, Lost Keys and Viginti Tres. Infact this is not a much of a criticism because I belive 10,000 days is one of the greatest albums.

The only reason why its the worst in my opinion, is that its nothing more than a very good song. Its extremly simple for Tools standards, and lacks much inner meening. I properbly in the end listen to it the most, because in comparison to the others, it is light listening.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #4
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

I love the Pot; I love the singing at the start and the funky bass line. However, I would still say it is the worst song on the album, except of couse Lipan Conjuring, Lost Keys and Viginti Tres. Infact this is not a much of a criticism because I belive 10,000 days is one of the greatest albums.

The only reason why its the worst in my opinion, is that its nothing more than a very good song. Its extremly simple for Tools standards, and lacks much inner meening. I properbly in the end listen to it the most, because in comparison to the others, it is light listening.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
08-29-2006, 06:12 AM

the pot is nice, but my least favorite on the album, simply because i like the other songs better
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

the pot is nice, but my least favorite on the album, simply because i like the other songs better
Thirdeye11
08-29-2006, 06:30 AM

I really like the song, and my girlfriend loves the song. She's by no means a hardcore Tool fan, more of a casual listener by association :)

My guess would be this is one of the most accessible Tool songs, maybe that's why long time listeners dislike it. Due to the fact that something "wrong" is happening here. It's a song everyone can like, OH NOES!!!11!1ONEone
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I really like the song, and my girlfriend loves the song. She's by no means a hardcore Tool fan, more of a casual listener by association :)

My guess would be this is one of the most accessible Tool songs, maybe that's why long time listeners dislike it. Due to the fact that something "wrong" is happening here. It's a song everyone can like, OH NOES!!!11!1ONEone
SpiralExit's Avatar SpiralExit
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM

when i first heard it, i thought it's some other guy with a kid voice doin vocals for the song..
Old 08-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

when i first heard it, i thought it's some other guy with a kid voice doin vocals for the song..
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM

It's a badass, straight-forward and rockin' tune. The vocals are fucking intense which is refreshing to hear in the days of generic emo and nu-metal. Tool need the odd balls-out rock tune every now and again.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

It's a badass, straight-forward and rockin' tune. The vocals are fucking intense which is refreshing to hear in the days of generic emo and nu-metal. Tool need the odd balls-out rock tune every now and again.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
okemopoma's Avatar okemopoma
09-03-2006, 11:06 AM

I have no idea.

Its my favorite tune on the new album.

Lets see. The lyrics are awesome, the bass line is incredible, the whole tune comes together perfectly.

Maynard challenges his fans all the time. Crank this one up as loud as it will go and then tell me it sucks. I dont think so.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

I have no idea.

Lets see. The lyrics are awesome, the bass line is incredible, the whole tune comes together perfectly.

Maynard challenges his fans all the time. Crank this one up as loud as it will go and then tell me it sucks. I dont think so.
conawayb
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the insight everyone. That does seem logical, it does have an Undertow feel too it that newer fans may not like. It's by no means my favorite. I just thought this song wasn't getting the credit it deserved.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Thanks for the insight everyone. That does seem logical, it does have an Undertow feel too it that newer fans may not like. It's by no means my favorite. I just thought this song wasn't getting the credit it deserved.
ManDingoLover's Avatar ManDingoLover
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM

I dislike it because the lyrics are really bad, and the guitar parts are irritatingly simple.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 4

I dislike it because the lyrics are really bad, and the guitar parts are irritatingly simple.
thumphrey05's Avatar thumphrey05
09-03-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDingoLover View Post
i think the lyrics are one of the songs strong points, along with the bass line
Old 09-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
lo taca te puete

Bincount™: 542

Quote:
i think the lyrics are one of the songs strong points, along with the bass line
discocj69's Avatar discocj69
09-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11 View Post

I agree 100 %. My wife likes this song too. She's also a casual listener, and by no means a TOOL fan. The fact that it is a straight forward rock song is why people are dismissing it. The hardcore TOOL fans enjoy the mystery of the band and it's messages. When a "simple" song which anyone can decipher comes along, they turn their noses up at it. I really love the complicated features of the band and it's music. But, I think that songs like The Pot, Aenima, Vicarious, and Hooker w/ a Penis have their place. Not every song can (or should) be so mysterious and abstract that the fans fill up message boards trying to understand it. You can't spend all of your energy searching for deeper or alternative meanings to life and ignore the issues that are right in front of you.

If you can't appreciate that, then think of it this way: An artist puts out material that is a reflection of what they experience and/or believe. A song that is influenced by ideas of expanding one's mind and achieving a different/higher state of consciousness is naturally going to contain elements of mystery, elusiveness, etc. A song about anger, dissatisfaction, or any other specific emotion is probably going to be more direct.

Enjoy the diversity of their music. Not every song is going to mean the same thing to every person. I'm sure the band has songs that mean more to them than others.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11 View Post

I agree 100 %. My wife likes this song too. She's also a casual listener, and by no means a TOOL fan. The fact that it is a straight forward rock song is why people are dismissing it. The hardcore TOOL fans enjoy the mystery of the band and it's messages. When a "simple" song which anyone can decipher comes along, they turn their noses up at it. I really love the complicated features of the band and it's music. But, I think that songs like The Pot, Aenima, Vicarious, and Hooker w/ a Penis have their place. Not every song can (or should) be so mysterious and abstract that the fans fill up message boards trying to understand it. You can't spend all of your energy searching for deeper or alternative meanings to life and ignore the issues that are right in front of you.

If you can't appreciate that, then think of it this way: An artist puts out material that is a reflection of what they experience and/or believe. A song that is influenced by ideas of expanding one's mind and achieving a different/higher state of consciousness is naturally going to contain elements of mystery, elusiveness, etc. A song about anger, dissatisfaction, or any other specific emotion is probably going to be more direct.

Enjoy the diversity of their music. Not every song is going to mean the same thing to every person. I'm sure the band has songs that mean more to them than others.
09-04-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
It's so different from Tool's other stuff
Maybe the vocals at the beginning, but the song is very Undertow-ish.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #14

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
It's so different from Tool's other stuff
Maybe the vocals at the beginning, but the song is very Undertow-ish.
Beezelbozo's Avatar Beezelbozo
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM

When I got copy of 10KD, I played this song for people and got kick out of their expressions during the opening vocals. I would have people guess who it was and heard everything from Incubus to Clay Aiken(no shit), a lot of these people obviously are NOT Tool fans. However, most liked it, if only for a moment. Yes it's an accessible song to the masses, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that it's a great-and yes 'simple' by TOOL santards-song. Plus, it sounds amazing live.

Last edited by Beezelbozo; 09-04-2006 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

When I got copy of 10KD, I played this song for people and got kick out of their expressions during the opening vocals. I would have people guess who it was and heard everything from Incubus to Clay Aiken(no shit), a lot of these people obviously are NOT Tool fans. However, most liked it, if only for a moment. Yes it's an accessible song to the masses, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that it's a great-and yes 'simple' by TOOL santards-song. Plus, it sounds amazing live.

Last edited by Beezelbozo; 09-04-2006 at 11:02 AM..
soreal
09-04-2006, 03:29 PM

the pot is my girlfriends favorite also, but my least favorite on the album, not that i dont like it, i would just prefer to hear the others.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

the pot is my girlfriends favorite also, but my least favorite on the album, not that i dont like it, i would just prefer to hear the others.
justfar1086
09-04-2006, 03:33 PM

i really dont like it until about midway when it slows down, when that kind of drone sound occurs, everything after that is great but i can just never get into the first part of the song
Old 09-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

i really dont like it until about midway when it slows down, when that kind of drone sound occurs, everything after that is great but i can just never get into the first part of the song
lockdown12's Avatar lockdown12
09-06-2006, 02:33 PM

I actually like this song, but not as much as my girlfriend. I agree, it's very accessable to more casual listeners, and much more straightforward than most of their other songs. It has a dancable feel that causes white people to girate irhythmically--sort of like how Metallica started sounding in the early 90's. Speaking as a longtime listener of Tool, I'm totally fine with them doing a straitforward, catchy song once in a while, so long as they don't turn it into an entire album (like "the black album"). I mean, I'm a musician too, but even I get tired of 11/8 sometimes!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

I actually like this song, but not as much as my girlfriend. I agree, it's very accessable to more casual listeners, and much more straightforward than most of their other songs. It has a dancable feel that causes white people to girate irhythmically--sort of like how Metallica started sounding in the early 90's. Speaking as a longtime listener of Tool, I'm totally fine with them doing a straitforward, catchy song once in a while, so long as they don't turn it into an entire album (like "the black album"). I mean, I'm a musician too, but even I get tired of 11/8 sometimes!
conawayb
09-06-2006, 06:26 PM

Some of the lyrics are a little rediculous but I think that it lends to the mood of the song

Foot in mouth and head up ass

got lemon juice up in your high eye

Pissed all over my black kettle

Slghtly rediculous but I think its brilliant
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Some of the lyrics are a little rediculous but I think that it lends to the mood of the song

EGG-MAN's Avatar EGG-MAN
09-06-2006, 11:26 PM

this song rocks live
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #20

Bincount™: 4

this song rocks live
09-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okemopoma View Post
I have no idea.

without a doubt, the louder the better
Old 09-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by okemopoma View Post
I have no idea.

without a doubt, the louder the better
Aerie's Avatar Aerie
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM

I don't really know...

They must have been high (when they first heard it)...
Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

I don't really know...

They must have been high (when they first heard it)...
Denots_a_Tesor's Avatar Denots_a_Tesor
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM

It iritates me when people think this is a anti pot song when it really has nothing to do with marijuana or drugs at all.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Banned.

It iritates me when people think this is a anti pot song when it really has nothing to do with marijuana or drugs at all.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
09-07-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
It's because of how he sings at the beginning, and that's the only reason.
Thats what put me off at first, but getting past this and really listening to the rest of the song pays off.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
It's because of how he sings at the beginning, and that's the only reason.
Thats what put me off at first, but getting past this and really listening to the rest of the song pays off.
Useful)(Idiot's Avatar Useful)(Idiot
09-07-2006, 08:17 PM

hearing maynard sing so high at the beginning of this song gave me chills the first time i heard it, i personally really love this song.

myspace -
http://www.myspace.com/thereisn0sp00n
Old 09-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #25

Bincount™: 24

hearing maynard sing so high at the beginning of this song gave me chills the first time i heard it, i personally really love this song.

myspace -
http://www.myspace.com/thereisn0sp00n
horus462's Avatar horus462
09-08-2006, 05:13 AM

because of its simplicity I assume.
It may be too easy to catagorize.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:13 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

because of its simplicity I assume.
It may be too easy to catagorize.
Solaris's Avatar Solaris
09-09-2006, 10:00 AM

Why should this be the worst Tool song ever? In my opinion, it's one of the best.

You can't tell me that you like something like Useful Idiot more than this song.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Why should this be the worst Tool song ever? In my opinion, it's one of the best.

You can't tell me that you like something like Useful Idiot more than this song.
09-10-2006, 05:21 AM

Yes, I consider Useful Idiot as a valuable song. Each Tool song is valuable if you discuss about The Pot being the worst Tool song ever.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yes, I consider Useful Idiot as a valuable song. Each Tool song is valuable if you discuss about The Pot being the worst Tool song ever.
lemonlateralus's Avatar lemonlateralus
09-10-2006, 01:51 PM

I must admit that the reason I thnk most people hated "The Pot" is due to its place after the high emotion of "Wings"...but it is still the best single on the album.I think that even the hardcore fan would be unable to resist saying how good "aenima" or "hooker with a penis" are,so how can they not like the song. The vocals on the intro always indicate to me now the change of tone for the rest of the album.
*Phew*
Old 09-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I must admit that the reason I thnk most people hated "The Pot" is due to its place after the high emotion of "Wings"...but it is still the best single on the album.I think that even the hardcore fan would be unable to resist saying how good "aenima" or "hooker with a penis" are,so how can they not like the song. The vocals on the intro always indicate to me now the change of tone for the rest of the album.
*Phew*
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah I guess its because its a little more accessible musically than some of the others, a bit more traditional in its structure and maybe easier to follow than some of the unusual time signatures and arrangements that we have become familiar with. However, as apparently simplistic as the pot is, no one has really nailed a convincing interpretation of the lyrics yet IMO, so maybe its not as straightforward as everyone thinks... I think its sick anyway.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Yeah I guess its because its a little more accessible musically than some of the others, a bit more traditional in its structure and maybe easier to follow than some of the unusual time signatures and arrangements that we have become familiar with. However, as apparently simplistic as the pot is, no one has really nailed a convincing interpretation of the lyrics yet IMO, so maybe its not as straightforward as everyone thinks... I think its sick anyway.
09-18-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conawayb View Post

you have to look a little deeper into the lyrics though i made a post about it like 20 min ago the lyrics are great they have a very political meaning look into it keep digging,most tool songs are like that you have to peel back the outer layer and sink your teeth into the soft underbelly have fun.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

you have to look a little deeper into the lyrics though i made a post about it like 20 min ago the lyrics are great they have a very political meaning look into it keep digging,most tool songs are like that you have to peel back the outer layer and sink your teeth into the soft underbelly have fun.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 12:04 AM

well, personally, i know what they were trying to do, and it sounds amazing with my head out of my ass. it helps me dance better, too. ;) but, yeah, i just beat the shit outta anyone who says that the track sucks. worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #32
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

well, personally, i know what they were trying to do, and it sounds amazing with my head out of my ass. it helps me dance better, too. ;) but, yeah, i just beat the shit outta anyone who says that the track sucks. worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah.
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM

i refuse to believe in 'best' and 'worst'.
i find it to be a ridiculous measurement of something that needs not to be measured.

for me it's about finding what you can in the music, taking it, and then doing something with it. it's an exploratory experience.
i cringe when i hear things like "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah."
i'm wondering who you are to say it's the worst song? this song has changed people's lives, i can't name a tool song that hasn't. opiates the worst song? what about hush? what about Rosetta stoned? maynards 'talking' at the start of rosetta stoned had me baffled for a few days. now i've let it in and i love it to death.

comments about best and worst seem to me to be a reflection of ego, it's your ego telling you "this is the best song" or "this is the worst song". don't listen to it. it's not your friend.
just jump in and find what you can, don't be seperate from the music, be enveloped by it and stop wondering about which one your favourite it is.
it's so very unimportant.

oh and also, i didn't get this song at first because it seemed to 'funky' for me.
but i dived in and found myself being very intensely affected by it.
awe inspiring stuff.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:32 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i refuse to believe in 'best' and 'worst'.
i find it to be a ridiculous measurement of something that needs not to be measured.

for me it's about finding what you can in the music, taking it, and then doing something with it. it's an exploratory experience.
i cringe when i hear things like "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah."
i'm wondering who you are to say it's the worst song? this song has changed people's lives, i can't name a tool song that hasn't. opiates the worst song? what about hush? what about Rosetta stoned? maynards 'talking' at the start of rosetta stoned had me baffled for a few days. now i've let it in and i love it to death.

comments about best and worst seem to me to be a reflection of ego, it's your ego telling you "this is the best song" or "this is the worst song". don't listen to it. it's not your friend.
just jump in and find what you can, don't be seperate from the music, be enveloped by it and stop wondering about which one your favourite it is.
it's so very unimportant.

oh and also, i didn't get this song at first because it seemed to 'funky' for me.
but i dived in and found myself being very intensely affected by it.
awe inspiring stuff.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM

ugh. not that i feel i must defend myself, but (just for clarity) the "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah." was kinda like "if you need a worst or best song ('cause that's what this thread consists of), then here you go, stop picking on "the pot" 'cause your reasoning hurts my head - now, let's move on". and, ummmm... i say "opiate" because it absolutely repeats ad nausea, i can't stand it. it's a little more than 40 seconds of actual music stretched to about 5 minutes and 20 seconds (audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). "swamp song" is actually the worst concerning this sorta stretch, and it sucks, but maybe it was meant as a repeating technique for us to eventually grab something from it (kinda like "third times a charm" - tool might be thinking "something's has just gotta stick by now - it wouldn't be the first time they've done this sorta thing either), alas... that, and no one acts on the messeges of opiate, so it was a very ineffective tune (i guess). please, don't comment on someone's best or worst as if we're wrong no matter what (just for coming up with something specific). people have their reasons. and hey, i appreciate even "off" songs a lot more once delving into their meanings, the "landlord" bit, for instance, destroys and gets me thinking about soooo many things. "all sorta terrifying" but then again "there's no love in fear", right?

oh, and i actually don't fully understand "the pot". i was kinda playing with the lyrics there... WINK! my head is still too far up my ass, i assure you.

p.s. - best/worst is razor thin either way when it comes to tool. everything that tool does has a specific meaning behind it, left open for discussion, and so on. how could you choose one from another? they are masters of their art.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-21-2006 at 09:23 AM..
Old 09-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement

ugh. not that i feel i must defend myself, but (just for clarity) the "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah." was kinda like "if you need a worst or best song ('cause that's what this thread consists of), then here you go, stop picking on "the pot" 'cause your reasoning hurts my head - now, let's move on". and, ummmm... i say "opiate" because it absolutely repeats ad nausea, i can't stand it. it's a little more than 40 seconds of actual music stretched to about 5 minutes and 20 seconds (audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). "swamp song" is actually the worst concerning this sorta stretch, and it sucks, but maybe it was meant as a repeating technique for us to eventually grab something from it (kinda like "third times a charm" - tool might be thinking "something's has just gotta stick by now - it wouldn't be the first time they've done this sorta thing either), alas... that, and no one acts on the messeges of opiate, so it was a very ineffective tune (i guess). please, don't comment on someone's best or worst as if we're wrong no matter what (just for coming up with something specific). people have their reasons. and hey, i appreciate even "off" songs a lot more once delving into their meanings, the "landlord" bit, for instance, destroys and gets me thinking about soooo many things. "all sorta terrifying" but then again "there's no love in fear", right?

oh, and i actually don't fully understand "the pot". i was kinda playing with the lyrics there... WINK! my head is still too far up my ass, i assure you.

p.s. - best/worst is razor thin either way when it comes to tool. everything that tool does has a specific meaning behind it, left open for discussion, and so on. how could you choose one from another? they are masters of their art.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-21-2006 at 09:23 AM..
Steedus
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM

no one says you have to like it, but i can confidently assume that opiate and swampsong are a shitload of peoples favourite songs.
whether you like it or not, there's no need for tools music or tool themselves to be measured and judged. it's just a missfire.

how do you know no one acts on the messages of opiate? you got tracking devices on everyone who's ever heard it?
adam jones once said something about someone saying to him something along the lines of 'wow that song opiate saved my life, i found jesus and things haven't been better'.

anyone else remember that?
or are you all to busy being little judges and missing the point?

yeah thats what i thought you'd say.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

no one says you have to like it, but i can confidently assume that opiate and swampsong are a shitload of peoples favourite songs.
whether you like it or not, there's no need for tools music or tool themselves to be measured and judged. it's just a missfire.

how do you know no one acts on the messages of opiate? you got tracking devices on everyone who's ever heard it?
adam jones once said something about someone saying to him something along the lines of 'wow that song opiate saved my life, i found jesus and things haven't been better'.

anyone else remember that?
or are you all to busy being little judges and missing the point?

yeah thats what i thought you'd say.
deppo's Avatar deppo
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
(audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). .
Shit dude, Audioslave are pretty rank for sure, but Cornell has done some amazing shit in the past, he will never be a joke IMO. Superunknown is a fucking awesome recording....Once again....IMO. Badmotorfinger too.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
(audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). .
Shit dude, Audioslave are pretty rank for sure, but Cornell has done some amazing shit in the past, he will never be a joke IMO. Superunknown is a fucking awesome recording....Once again....IMO. Badmotorfinger too.
09-21-2006, 09:16 PM

^Sorry I didn't mean to change the direction of the thread but I couldnt let that one thru without comment.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

^Sorry I didn't mean to change the direction of the thread but I couldnt let that one thru without comment.
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM

steedus, (i'll break it down for you)

the song "opiate" tends to make me ill.
untertow repeats the most
and audioslave sucks ...a lot (esp. cornell)*

...that's all i've said.
so, what's your beef again, man?

"so we cannot seem to reach an end,
crippling our communicatioooooooon"

* sorry, deppo, heh. but, yeah, it's just an opinion.
no hard feelings^ :)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-21-2006 at 09:35 PM..
Old 09-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #38
Level 10 - Vehement

steedus, (i'll break it down for you)

the song "opiate" tends to make me ill.
untertow repeats the most
and audioslave sucks ...a lot (esp. cornell)*

...that's all i've said.
so, what's your beef again, man?

"so we cannot seem to reach an end,
crippling our communicatioooooooon"

* sorry, deppo, heh. but, yeah, it's just an opinion.
no hard feelings^ :)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-21-2006 at 09:35 PM..
mike_d1234
09-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
my favorite current Tool song, and subsequently, my favorite song overall. i know long-term, that i'll always go back to Eulogy and Pushit as my 2 favs, but this song was oustanding to me from the get-go, and remains so after many hundreds of listens. maybe my taste differs from other's, but i'm pretty sure that i like what i like, so at least i got that going for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
my favorite current Tool song, and subsequently, my favorite song overall. i know long-term, that i'll always go back to Eulogy and Pushit as my 2 favs, but this song was oustanding to me from the get-go, and remains so after many hundreds of listens. maybe my taste differs from other's, but i'm pretty sure that i like what i like, so at least i got that going for me.
mike_d1234
09-23-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
guitar work has to be incredibly intricate to be enjoyable then? as a non-musician, this makes no sense to me, but maybe that's because i'm a non-musician.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
guitar work has to be incredibly intricate to be enjoyable then? as a non-musician, this makes no sense to me, but maybe that's because i'm a non-musician.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply