Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
GreenSmurf's Avatar GreenSmurf
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM

Well, the production quality does seem a bit rushed or unfinished. Guitars are loud, Maynard is quiet, drums seem to be overwhelmed but bass and guitar... I dunno. Just me I guess. I am not complaining though. It is still cool to listen to.

-Bill Hicks
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #121
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17
Re: Mixing/Production issues with 10,000 Days

Well, the production quality does seem a bit rushed or unfinished. Guitars are loud, Maynard is quiet, drums seem to be overwhelmed but bass and guitar... I dunno. Just me I guess. I am not complaining though. It is still cool to listen to.

-Bill Hicks
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
woody239
05-03-2006, 01:32 AM

Wow, I have never read so much bitching about such a great sounding album. I think the album sounds fan-fucking-tastic as is. Some of the things you all say about the levels are true to an extent, but remember, it was MEANT to be that way. There were no mistakes on this album. If there were any mistakes in mixing it would NOT be released. Nobody messed up on anything, this is how Tool has presented their music to us like it or not. These guys are professionals. They all do this for a living, and make a damn good living at it. We would not be hearing this album the way we are if it were not intended to be that way.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #122
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Wow, I have never read so much bitching about such a great sounding album. I think the album sounds fan-fucking-tastic as is. Some of the things you all say about the levels are true to an extent, but remember, it was MEANT to be that way. There were no mistakes on this album. If there were any mistakes in mixing it would NOT be released. Nobody messed up on anything, this is how Tool has presented their music to us like it or not. These guys are professionals. They all do this for a living, and make a damn good living at it. We would not be hearing this album the way we are if it were not intended to be that way.
05-03-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody239
I agree but the popping kinda takes me outta the mood since I've noticed it. The levels are not too bad but I do not think they were only satisfactory.

-Bill Hicks
Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody239
I agree but the popping kinda takes me outta the mood since I've noticed it. The levels are not too bad but I do not think they were only satisfactory.

-Bill Hicks
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-03-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn
Agreed, the quality of the leak isn't that much different to the quality of the CD. Danny's drumming is great, but it's too soft... I was hoping the drums would have a higher volume in the CD version than the leak, but it's not really the case. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
Get used to missing the backbone of TooL?

I won't.

Just have to keep playing Ticks, Hooker, etc for another 5 years until the next CD.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #124
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Re: 10K Days; Too much guitar, not enough drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn
Agreed, the quality of the leak isn't that much different to the quality of the CD. Danny's drumming is great, but it's too soft... I was hoping the drums would have a higher volume in the CD version than the leak, but it's not really the case. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
Get used to missing the backbone of TooL?

I won't.

Just have to keep playing Ticks, Hooker, etc for another 5 years until the next CD.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 01:56 AM

It does seem rather weird.

"Hey guys, we've got one of the best rock drummers on the planet right now... and our guitarist is kinda average. I know, we'll mix Adam right to the front!"

How the hell did that one fly?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #125
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It does seem rather weird.

"Hey guys, we've got one of the best rock drummers on the planet right now... and our guitarist is kinda average. I know, we'll mix Adam right to the front!"

How the hell did that one fly?
tuzi
05-03-2006, 02:08 AM

Well, I suppose denying the obvious is a rather easy way to win a debate! Taking the traditional logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, let's try Kabir's thoughts on the matter eh?

"All we have heard about guitars being more out in front and vocals a little subdued has been accurate. Guitar is the dominant sound through much of the record, but this is only when it is in full force; the record does get quiet quite often, and all four players are definitely playing an equal role."

http://toolshed.down.net/news/tales/...prereview.html

So I suppose that I'm not imagining things.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #126
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well, I suppose denying the obvious is a rather easy way to win a debate! Taking the traditional logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, let's try Kabir's thoughts on the matter eh?

"All we have heard about guitars being more out in front and vocals a little subdued has been accurate. Guitar is the dominant sound through much of the record, but this is only when it is in full force; the record does get quiet quite often, and all four players are definitely playing an equal role."

http://toolshed.down.net/news/tales/...prereview.html

So I suppose that I'm not imagining things.
tDoXoMl
05-03-2006, 02:18 AM

I am now a fan of Hella. Those are intensly fast triplets on a single bass. Jesus a beginner couldnt do that with double bass. Im being onvious again... i think Adam got a little cocky with his guitar on this album. It would be cool if Danny used his electronic drums to run the band melodically, then AJ would feel stupid. lol Im only serious about the first part of that last sentence there.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

I am now a fan of Hella. Those are intensly fast triplets on a single bass. Jesus a beginner couldnt do that with double bass. Im being onvious again... i think Adam got a little cocky with his guitar on this album. It would be cool if Danny used his electronic drums to run the band melodically, then AJ would feel stupid. lol Im only serious about the first part of that last sentence there.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 02:37 AM

"So Kabir is God?"

Not in the slightest, that's why I prefaced the quote by pointing out that an appeal to authority was a clear logical fallacy.

But the first part of the quote: "All we have heard about guitars being more out in front and vocals a little subdued has been accurate."

Does that not suggest to you that the band or their publicity people have, before anybody had heard the record, been talking about having the guitars more out in front? That would kind of suggest that what I'm hearing would appear to be what the band intended me to hear, no?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #128
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"So Kabir is God?"

Not in the slightest, that's why I prefaced the quote by pointing out that an appeal to authority was a clear logical fallacy.

But the first part of the quote: "All we have heard about guitars being more out in front and vocals a little subdued has been accurate."

Does that not suggest to you that the band or their publicity people have, before anybody had heard the record, been talking about having the guitars more out in front? That would kind of suggest that what I'm hearing would appear to be what the band intended me to hear, no?
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-03-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl

Hella? Do you mean Hell hammer?

regardless, both hellhammer and danny carey use double pedals.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #129
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl

Hella? Do you mean Hell hammer?

regardless, both hellhammer and danny carey use double pedals.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 02:41 AM

No, Hella are a two-piece band consisting of a drummer and guitarist. Their drummer, Zach Hill, is an absolutely terrifying single-pedal chops-monster. Their music is an acquired taste, but it's basically some kind of chaotic prog-indie-punk-metal or something.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:41 AM   #130
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

No, Hella are a two-piece band consisting of a drummer and guitarist. Their drummer, Zach Hill, is an absolutely terrifying single-pedal chops-monster. Their music is an acquired taste, but it's basically some kind of chaotic prog-indie-punk-metal or something.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:
The difference with Lateralus is (not with Aenima) is that on Lateralus the drums where upfront. On 10,000 Days they are on par with the rest.
Yeah, but on Aenima there were stronger, more assertive vocal performances and better guitar riffs to play with. Considering how many of the guitar riffs on 10kd seem to be minor modifications of earlier Tool riffs I think it would have served the band better to bury Adam a bit, crank Justin and Danny and tell Maynard to grow his balls back after spending too long with those wussy APC goth girly-boys. But that's just me.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #131
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
The difference with Lateralus is (not with Aenima) is that on Lateralus the drums where upfront. On 10,000 Days they are on par with the rest.
Yeah, but on Aenima there were stronger, more assertive vocal performances and better guitar riffs to play with. Considering how many of the guitar riffs on 10kd seem to be minor modifications of earlier Tool riffs I think it would have served the band better to bury Adam a bit, crank Justin and Danny and tell Maynard to grow his balls back after spending too long with those wussy APC goth girly-boys. But that's just me.
Metlamaniac's Avatar Metlamaniac
05-03-2006, 04:23 AM

Im glad others are hearing this. I had huge problems with my bands CD. I heard lots of crackling and popping, and it REALLY fucked me off. I thought I was going Insane when I heard it on a Tool album....but it really is there. Lateralus has absolutely no popping at all.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 AM   #132

Bincount™: 15
Re: Clipping

Im glad others are hearing this. I had huge problems with my bands CD. I heard lots of crackling and popping, and it REALLY fucked me off. I thought I was going Insane when I heard it on a Tool album....but it really is there. Lateralus has absolutely no popping at all.
05-03-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
I haven't been saying "more Danny" - I've been saying "less Adam." :D
Since adam is trying to match the drums with his "DA! DA! DA!" riffs, less adam would bring out Dannys drum beats.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #133
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
I haven't been saying "more Danny" - I've been saying "less Adam." :D
Since adam is trying to match the drums with his "DA! DA! DA!" riffs, less adam would bring out Dannys drum beats.
Locarius
05-03-2006, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl
it's definately not due to "extremely high compression" either; as you'd know if you'd looked at the music in a wave editor.
Elaborate. If the compression is high and with somewhat low sensitivity it does not have time to compress a wavform in time to prevent clipping. Screenshots of wav?

I am mostly hearing it on agressive drum sequences.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #134
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl
it's definately not due to "extremely high compression" either; as you'd know if you'd looked at the music in a wave editor.
Elaborate. If the compression is high and with somewhat low sensitivity it does not have time to compress a wavform in time to prevent clipping. Screenshots of wav?

I am mostly hearing it on agressive drum sequences.
blafuckbla's Avatar blafuckbla
05-03-2006, 05:17 AM

the 'popping and distortion' you call it are just the very sharp tones of the guitar distortion because they are mixed way more up front. first i thought i heard the same on 'wings part 2' but that was the rain drops coming down :D
Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #135

Bincount™: 4

the 'popping and distortion' you call it are just the very sharp tones of the guitar distortion because they are mixed way more up front. first i thought i heard the same on 'wings part 2' but that was the rain drops coming down :D
kungfool
05-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I was waiting for these posts. I heard it on the rip and hoped it was part of that, but it's on the real album. It's all over the first couple of minutes of Vicarious, and in a lot of spots throughout the album (Wings, Rosetta, etc.).
I was very dissappointed in this, but overall it's pretty minor. But it is definitely digital clipping. Same as on the last Mars Volta album, Frances the Mute, but not near as extreme.

Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect, but I would expect better from tool (the damn DVD's they released are also full of the same clicking in certain spots).
Old 05-03-2006, 05:34 AM   #136
Level 3 - Talker

I was waiting for these posts. I heard it on the rip and hoped it was part of that, but it's on the real album. It's all over the first couple of minutes of Vicarious, and in a lot of spots throughout the album (Wings, Rosetta, etc.).
I was very dissappointed in this, but overall it's pretty minor. But it is definitely digital clipping. Same as on the last Mars Volta album, Frances the Mute, but not near as extreme.

Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect, but I would expect better from tool (the damn DVD's they released are also full of the same clicking in certain spots).
05-03-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I have no clipping on the album.

me neither.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I have no clipping on the album.

me neither.
kungfool
05-03-2006, 06:19 AM

I believe the correct answer is:

I *hear* no clipping on the album. It's there, whether or not you hear it.

I hear it on my Klipsch RF-3II's through an HK 525 receiver, I hear it in my car on my Focal 1.65V's through my JL amps and Eclipse head unit, and I hear it on my Grado SR80 cans. It's there.

And since it's there on the rip, the FLAC rip I downloaded 2 days before release and the actual album I bought at Target, I have to deduce that it's in the mix.

After looking at the wavforms, and how ridiculously compressed they are, I can say that it's no big surprise. Just dissappointed because this is a Tool record.

Overall though, the sound quality is great, it's just the spots with the clipping that bring it down a notch.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #138
Level 3 - Talker

I believe the correct answer is:

I *hear* no clipping on the album. It's there, whether or not you hear it.

I hear it on my Klipsch RF-3II's through an HK 525 receiver, I hear it in my car on my Focal 1.65V's through my JL amps and Eclipse head unit, and I hear it on my Grado SR80 cans. It's there.

And since it's there on the rip, the FLAC rip I downloaded 2 days before release and the actual album I bought at Target, I have to deduce that it's in the mix.

After looking at the wavforms, and how ridiculously compressed they are, I can say that it's no big surprise. Just dissappointed because this is a Tool record.

Overall though, the sound quality is great, it's just the spots with the clipping that bring it down a notch.
05-03-2006, 06:25 AM

Nah, it isn't.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM   #139

Nah, it isn't.
kungfool
05-03-2006, 06:30 AM

Brilliant retort douchebag.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #140
Level 3 - Talker

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-03-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfool
Amazing

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #141
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Amazing

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
05-03-2006, 06:32 AM

Stop looking for perfection. Get some good speakers. Enjoy the music.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #142

Stop looking for perfection. Get some good speakers. Enjoy the music.
Deoxy_Anomaly's Avatar Deoxy_Anomaly
05-03-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blafuckbla
Enjoy the music.
...wha?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #143

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blafuckbla
Enjoy the music.
...wha?
05-03-2006, 06:37 AM

Hey, all I was doing was pointing out that there is clipping, I didn't say I wasn't enjoying it.
Anyway, 'get some good speakers' is what you need to do...a good speaker will replicate exacly what is going on in the source. If you can't hear the clipping then:

a. Your speakers arent' reproducing it.

or

b. You aren't listening.

So I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that one. Go listen to it on your Sonys. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #144
Level 3 - Talker

Hey, all I was doing was pointing out that there is clipping, I didn't say I wasn't enjoying it.
Anyway, 'get some good speakers' is what you need to do...a good speaker will replicate exacly what is going on in the source. If you can't hear the clipping then:

a. Your speakers arent' reproducing it.

or

b. You aren't listening.

So I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that one. Go listen to it on your Sonys. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
05-03-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss I guess.
It truly is. Overanalyzing isn't. Go play outside.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #145

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss I guess.
It truly is. Overanalyzing isn't. Go play outside.
kungfool
05-03-2006, 06:44 AM

Wow, man....I guess you put me in my place. I came here because I found some people who I though were discussing issues with the album and I get terse idiotic replies from lobotomized turds spouting tool dogma to 'put me in my place'.

Flame away sheep.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #146
Level 3 - Talker

Wow, man....I guess you put me in my place. I came here because I found some people who I though were discussing issues with the album and I get terse idiotic replies from lobotomized turds spouting tool dogma to 'put me in my place'.

Flame away sheep.
05-03-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Flame away sheep.

behhhhhh....:)
Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #147

Quote:

Flame away sheep.

behhhhhh....:)
Deoxy_Anomaly's Avatar Deoxy_Anomaly
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Flame away sheep.
There will always be people who act and think as such no matter where in this world you travel. Amplified a bit here, but, nevertheless, there are still some good people with good thoughts. Me not being one of them.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #148

Bincount™: 10

Quote:

Flame away sheep.
There will always be people who act and think as such no matter where in this world you travel. Amplified a bit here, but, nevertheless, there are still some good people with good thoughts. Me not being one of them.
05-03-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.
Go listen to Rush if you want the drummer to be focus of the album.

There are four (4) extremely talented members in this band. Anyone who plays the bass knows that Justin is probably the best basist in music right now(maybe surpassed by Claypool but what has he come out with lately?) and he's constantly improving.

Really though, the mixing is fine. You can hear all member equally, which is how it should be. No single member makes this band, only all of them together.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #149
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.

There are four (4) extremely talented members in this band. Anyone who plays the bass knows that Justin is probably the best basist in music right now(maybe surpassed by Claypool but what has he come out with lately?) and he's constantly improving.

Really though, the mixing is fine. You can hear all member equally, which is how it should be. No single member makes this band, only all of them together.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 11:41 AM

"Overanalyzing isn't"

Holy crap, did I actually read that on a Tool fan forum?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #150
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"Overanalyzing isn't"

Holy crap, did I actually read that on a Tool fan forum?
toocooltool's Avatar toocooltool
05-03-2006, 11:50 AM

I am a drummer.. and love danny carey.. but he isnt the best drummer in the world...
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #151
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396

I am a drummer.. and love danny carey.. but he isnt the best drummer in the world...
paraflux
05-03-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake

Perhaps the mixing is fine if you like a lot of guitar overpowering everything else, but if you really cant hear that, then I cant help you. Really, I cant. Because it's so obvious that the guitars are the focal point. But you dont make an instrument a focal point by just turning up the volume fader. It seems that you are taking offense that any one member would want to stand out, and that's not what we are saying. We're saying that the guitar is just too loud.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #152
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:

Perhaps the mixing is fine if you like a lot of guitar overpowering everything else, but if you really cant hear that, then I cant help you. Really, I cant. Because it's so obvious that the guitars are the focal point. But you dont make an instrument a focal point by just turning up the volume fader. It seems that you are taking offense that any one member would want to stand out, and that's not what we are saying. We're saying that the guitar is just too loud.
tuzi
05-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Damn straight. He's *one of* the best, but nowhere near an all-around best. Vinnie Colaiuta certainly comes a lot closer to that, the man could sight-read the hardest stuff Frank Zappa could come up with while still eating his lunch, and yet he can still play amazingly tasteful stuff on pop albums... or play on a Megadeth CD.

The same goes for Justin. Nowhere near the best bassist in the world. And Les Claypool? You've got to be nuts. He's a lot of clever-sounding tricks assembled into one teenage-bassist-impressing package. There's a reason you're not seeing him all over thousands of album credits, and that's because he's an absolute one-trick pony. I love his stuff, but he's not even close to hundreds of other bassists out there.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #153
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Damn straight. He's *one of* the best, but nowhere near an all-around best. Vinnie Colaiuta certainly comes a lot closer to that, the man could sight-read the hardest stuff Frank Zappa could come up with while still eating his lunch, and yet he can still play amazingly tasteful stuff on pop albums... or play on a Megadeth CD.

The same goes for Justin. Nowhere near the best bassist in the world. And Les Claypool? You've got to be nuts. He's a lot of clever-sounding tricks assembled into one teenage-bassist-impressing package. There's a reason you're not seeing him all over thousands of album credits, and that's because he's an absolute one-trick pony. I love his stuff, but he's not even close to hundreds of other bassists out there.
paraflux
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Lol at Claypool being referred to as a trickster. Never seen Primus live, I presume.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #154
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Lol at Claypool being referred to as a trickster. Never seen Primus live, I presume.
NeverTooLoud
05-03-2006, 12:47 PM

As an audio engineer myself, and long time fan of Tool, I must say that the mixes on this album are great...The production is great...The performances are great...However, something that almost ruins the listening experience is the mastering...I've noticed a trend on newer rock albums and was hoping 10k days wouldn't follow that trend...On a few songs, I wont mention which nor at what time so that you won't hear it every time you listen to the album, like I do, there is peak distortion...With the dynamics of a band like Tool, I can only imagine how hard it is to master such an album, but what I hear is a blatant oversight...One that if I were given the privlige to master a true work of art like a Tool album, I would definitly make sure wouldn't appear on the final product.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #155
Level 4 - Thinker

As an audio engineer myself, and long time fan of Tool, I must say that the mixes on this album are great...The production is great...The performances are great...However, something that almost ruins the listening experience is the mastering...I've noticed a trend on newer rock albums and was hoping 10k days wouldn't follow that trend...On a few songs, I wont mention which nor at what time so that you won't hear it every time you listen to the album, like I do, there is peak distortion...With the dynamics of a band like Tool, I can only imagine how hard it is to master such an album, but what I hear is a blatant oversight...One that if I were given the privlige to master a true work of art like a Tool album, I would definitly make sure wouldn't appear on the final product.
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
05-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

wouldn't Vic Wooten be closer to best bassist?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #156
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

Quote:

wouldn't Vic Wooten be closer to best bassist?
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrdglo
Funny thing you say that! I just pumped $200 into UE Super.fi 5 Pro Canal-phones (after my dog ate my Shure E2Cs) and expected to really break them in with this album. After listening to half the album I was extremely upset with my purchase. I thought the crossover in the phones threw off the lower-mids, thus cancelling out some of the drums. I then put on Lateralus and a few APC songs to find that it wasn't my earphones at all, but the mixing of the album itself.

If not only to be dissapointed that the drums are mixed too low, the vocals are mixed equally low! MJK's voice is crystal clear in every other Tool album, even on the songs where they are instrument driven - ie. Ticks and Leeches. I'm sure when they play the songs live it'll be a totally different dynamic, but for an album that's set in stone the levels on this album are extremely dissapointing. I'd almost go so far as to say it sounds like an excellent bootleg!
I guess 5 years of preparation and planning wasn't enough.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #157
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrdglo
Funny thing you say that! I just pumped $200 into UE Super.fi 5 Pro Canal-phones (after my dog ate my Shure E2Cs) and expected to really break them in with this album. After listening to half the album I was extremely upset with my purchase. I thought the crossover in the phones threw off the lower-mids, thus cancelling out some of the drums. I then put on Lateralus and a few APC songs to find that it wasn't my earphones at all, but the mixing of the album itself.

If not only to be dissapointed that the drums are mixed too low, the vocals are mixed equally low! MJK's voice is crystal clear in every other Tool album, even on the songs where they are instrument driven - ie. Ticks and Leeches. I'm sure when they play the songs live it'll be a totally different dynamic, but for an album that's set in stone the levels on this album are extremely dissapointing. I'd almost go so far as to say it sounds like an excellent bootleg!
I guess 5 years of preparation and planning wasn't enough.
05-03-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard
I am not the first with this complaint; some of the heavier ( drumming ) sections have slight amounts of distortion. Its really annoying especially when the album is otherwise impecably recorded and arranged.

Music aside, I am still partial to the recording and compression of AEnima..
How a 10 year old CD can sound better, higher quality, better mixing, than one just released is just incredibly lazy, either that or someone let adam "experiment".
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #158
On Probation

Re: Regarding Sound and Recording Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard
I am not the first with this complaint; some of the heavier ( drumming ) sections have slight amounts of distortion. Its really annoying especially when the album is otherwise impecably recorded and arranged.

Music aside, I am still partial to the recording and compression of AEnima..
How a 10 year old CD can sound better, higher quality, better mixing, than one just released is just incredibly lazy, either that or someone let adam "experiment".
05-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Its seems like they wanted it to "snap crackle and pop." They are TOOL and they are just trying to sell Rice Krispies while making music dammit!

Joking aside, it does take from some moments but I have noticed its only when using headphones or listening quietly on my uber stereo but in my car or other stereos or even just with the volume up its sounds great!

-Bill Hicks
Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #159

Its seems like they wanted it to "snap crackle and pop." They are TOOL and they are just trying to sell Rice Krispies while making music dammit!

Joking aside, it does take from some moments but I have noticed its only when using headphones or listening quietly on my uber stereo but in my car or other stereos or even just with the volume up its sounds great!

-Bill Hicks
tuzi
05-03-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
In all fairness, there are certain trends dominant in mastering these days which are likely at least partially responsible for the sound of 10k Days. The whole over-compressed, maximum-volumizer type of sound is very much the thing, and Tool aren't alone in being stung with it.

Here's an article on the subject in relation to Rush and Vapor Trails:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

But that's not really an excuse, given the extremely tight ship Tool normally run when it comes to presenting their stuff. They bucked current trends at the time back in 1996 with the sound on Aenima and it was one of the best decisions they ever made.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #160
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Regarding Sound and Recording Quality

Quote:
In all fairness, there are certain trends dominant in mastering these days which are likely at least partially responsible for the sound of 10k Days. The whole over-compressed, maximum-volumizer type of sound is very much the thing, and Tool aren't alone in being stung with it.

Here's an article on the subject in relation to Rush and Vapor Trails:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

But that's not really an excuse, given the extremely tight ship Tool normally run when it comes to presenting their stuff. They bucked current trends at the time back in 1996 with the sound on Aenima and it was one of the best decisions they ever made.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply