Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
05-02-2006, 01:58 PM

mixing on this album is so good... gtfo
Old 05-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #81
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627
Re: Mixing/Production issues with 10,000 Days

mixing on this album is so good... gtfo
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLIEve
This made me laugh HARD. So hard I shit the bed.
OK, it's hot when chicks laugh so hard they pee, but shitting the bed?!? Come ON!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #82
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69
Re: 10K Days; Too much guitar, not enough drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLIEve
This made me laugh HARD. So hard I shit the bed.
OK, it's hot when chicks laugh so hard they pee, but shitting the bed?!? Come ON!!
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
While you're entitled to your opinion, your "semi-decent grasp" of recording principles in no way makes your viewpoint any more valid than his, mine, or anyone elses.

I think Aenima, recording and mixing wise, sounds like dog shit compared to both Lateralus and 10k Days. It's just my opinion, but you're really not in any place to tell people they're wrong for thinking that.

Yes, it does make my viewpoint valid.

If someone didnt know shit about building drums, and told you that a Sound Percussion set sounded better than the DW they traded it in for, you'd laugh your ass off. Is it an opinion? Yes, but do you have common sense?

Mixing and production is somewhat subjective a craft, yes, but there are still principles that more or less only become obvious through a general practice of it.
I can point out glaring mistakes on both albums, but for a band that has continuously relied on creating interesting and unorthodox structures to their songs, the run of the mill recording and mixing on this album detracts from the already disappointing music. Even the mistakes Bottril and his engineers made on the two previous albums added an extra dimension of listenablility to the albums.
Ænima sounds like an expirement in sound where the engineers only had their previous experience to provide a dark path to some unknown desination. An experiment that could have failed miserably, but didn't.

This one just sounds like a typical compressed for radio junker.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 05-02-2006 at 02:18 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #83
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924
Re: Regarding Sound and Recording Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
While you're entitled to your opinion, your "semi-decent grasp" of recording principles in no way makes your viewpoint any more valid than his, mine, or anyone elses.

I think Aenima, recording and mixing wise, sounds like dog shit compared to both Lateralus and 10k Days. It's just my opinion, but you're really not in any place to tell people they're wrong for thinking that.

Yes, it does make my viewpoint valid.

If someone didnt know shit about building drums, and told you that a Sound Percussion set sounded better than the DW they traded it in for, you'd laugh your ass off. Is it an opinion? Yes, but do you have common sense?

Mixing and production is somewhat subjective a craft, yes, but there are still principles that more or less only become obvious through a general practice of it.
I can point out glaring mistakes on both albums, but for a band that has continuously relied on creating interesting and unorthodox structures to their songs, the run of the mill recording and mixing on this album detracts from the already disappointing music. Even the mistakes Bottril and his engineers made on the two previous albums added an extra dimension of listenablility to the albums.
Ænima sounds like an expirement in sound where the engineers only had their previous experience to provide a dark path to some unknown desination. An experiment that could have failed miserably, but didn't.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 05-02-2006 at 02:18 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
el enveloper
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Listen to when the guitar kicks in at the begining of the pot, and tell me you can still hear justin's bass line. It's gone, all you can hear is guitar. The first 4 songs are great, but then the album kind of takes a shit. "Rosetta Stoned" starts of good, but then half way through it becomes way to "Third Eye" and really has no climax. What's up with the riff at the end? The End of "Right in Two" is so lame!!!!!!!!!! Very unoriginal! Danny is even wanking for no good reason!????????!!!!! What is adam playing? Guitar for Dummies? Then the 46 and 2 ripoff ending is lackluster. I don't see how you can argue with me. The second half of the album is disappointing. The artwork and presentation is top notch, but I could care less. I want the music!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #84
On Probation

Bincount™: 3

Listen to when the guitar kicks in at the begining of the pot, and tell me you can still hear justin's bass line. It's gone, all you can hear is guitar. The first 4 songs are great, but then the album kind of takes a shit. "Rosetta Stoned" starts of good, but then half way through it becomes way to "Third Eye" and really has no climax. What's up with the riff at the end? The End of "Right in Two" is so lame!!!!!!!!!! Very unoriginal! Danny is even wanking for no good reason!????????!!!!! What is adam playing? Guitar for Dummies? Then the 46 and 2 ripoff ending is lackluster. I don't see how you can argue with me. The second half of the album is disappointing. The artwork and presentation is top notch, but I could care less. I want the music!!!!!!!!
amitface
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el enveloper
I could argue with you, but it won't change your opinion. Hopefully time will, though.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by el enveloper
I could argue with you, but it won't change your opinion. Hopefully time will, though.
elevate's Avatar elevate
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Deep
I don't know if it's quite that bad, but, I'll take Bottrill over Barresi any day.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #86
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 211
Re: Regarding Sound and Recording Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Deep
I don't know if it's quite that bad, but, I'll take Bottrill over Barresi any day.
mdurrant
05-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Uhhh, how many people on this thread have actually mixed/produced music?

That's what I thought. I would be interested to hear what someone like George Martin or Geoff Emerick or even Rick goddamn Rubin thinks about the production.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #87
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

That's what I thought. I would be interested to hear what someone like George Martin or Geoff Emerick or even Rick goddamn Rubin thinks about the production.
Metlamaniac's Avatar Metlamaniac
05-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Has anyone else noticed 'clipping' and 'popping' sounds on this album?

I notice it throughout the album really. Possibly Dannys drums

Check out Rosetta Stoned, it seems to be a bit more noticeable at around the 7:00 min mark (where Danny does his fast tom fill) onwards.

Please let me know if you can hear this. I tend to be a bit anal with this shit
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #88
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15
Clipping

Check out Rosetta Stoned, it seems to be a bit more noticeable at around the 7:00 min mark (where Danny does his fast tom fill) onwards.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-02-2006, 04:08 PM

nope...sorry.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66
Re: Clipping

nope...sorry.
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM

I've also noticed what sounds like the drum mics clipping in some spots, specifically the snare and toms. So far I've only really noticed in Vicarious. It might be in other places too. Maybe it's just heavily compressed.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #90
Level 3 - Talker

I've also noticed what sounds like the drum mics clipping in some spots, specifically the snare and toms. So far I've only really noticed in Vicarious. It might be in other places too. Maybe it's just heavily compressed.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-02-2006, 04:25 PM

you guys need to turn your cd players down.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #91
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

you guys need to turn your cd players down.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Feppas
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM

I heard something of the sort in my car earlier today. Made me think I was getting something extra through the speakers, but the popping noise is definitely there.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

I heard something of the sort in my car earlier today. Made me think I was getting something extra through the speakers, but the popping noise is definitely there.
Seven Deep's Avatar Seven Deep
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurrant
I do it all the time.

Paraflux can probably comment on this subject as well.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #93
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurrant
I do it all the time.

Paraflux can probably comment on this subject as well.
Briznitch's Avatar Briznitch
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM

I heard it on Right In Two last night, first listen. Took the cd out and it looked perfect, but I wiped it a little anyways. Played fine after that. Might be packaging dust or ink or something on them with all the weirdness to the package.

Then again, I may just have to laugh if they spent the money and time on the package but the album skips and pops hehe. After all, the cd IS the point.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #94
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

I heard it on Right In Two last night, first listen. Took the cd out and it looked perfect, but I wiped it a little anyways. Played fine after that. Might be packaging dust or ink or something on them with all the weirdness to the package.

Then again, I may just have to laugh if they spent the money and time on the package but the album skips and pops hehe. After all, the cd IS the point.
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM

I have mixed several projects. dont be so quick to jump to conclusions I would imagine a few people on here have had experience in audio recording.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #95
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

I have mixed several projects. dont be so quick to jump to conclusions I would imagine a few people on here have had experience in audio recording.
05-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Its certainly not to do with the voume of the cd

The pops and cracks are still there. I have tried it on 3 different cd players too. Its not awful....but fucking annoys me that its there. Ah well....what can we do...jack shit
Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #96

Bincount™: 15

Its certainly not to do with the voume of the cd

The pops and cracks are still there. I have tried it on 3 different cd players too. Its not awful....but fucking annoys me that its there. Ah well....what can we do...jack shit
Beastman
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM

I personally would have liked the drums up a bit.

As im a drummer myself, its half of my facination with them, however theres plenty there to be satisified with.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #97
Level 2 - Poster

I personally would have liked the drums up a bit.

As im a drummer myself, its half of my facination with them, however theres plenty there to be satisified with.
adda da suh's Avatar adda da suh
05-02-2006, 04:55 PM

The only thing I hear is a constant extra ringing on Dannys cymbals during The Pot
Old 05-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #98
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The only thing I hear is a constant extra ringing on Dannys cymbals during The Pot
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
05-02-2006, 05:38 PM

I hear a bit of distortion (a very brief static like noise) at 4:11 and 4:12 into Wings (during the last seconds of the build up to the very heavy part).

Anybody else notice that?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #99
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

I hear a bit of distortion (a very brief static like noise) at 4:11 and 4:12 into Wings (during the last seconds of the build up to the very heavy part).

Anybody else notice that?
Locarius
05-02-2006, 05:43 PM

I've heard clipping in Rosetta Stoned.

It is due to the extremely high compression that they put on albums these days.

Also, the intro to Vicarious seems to have some kind of digital fuckup.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #100
Level 4 - Thinker

I've heard clipping in Rosetta Stoned.

It is due to the extremely high compression that they put on albums these days.

Also, the intro to Vicarious seems to have some kind of digital fuckup.
unfnknblvbl's Avatar unfnknblvbl
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM

I've heard clipping too, but I've been putting it down to my soundcard/speaker combo... it's definately not due to "extremely high compression" either; as you'd know if you'd looked at the music in a wave editor.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #101

I've heard clipping too, but I've been putting it down to my soundcard/speaker combo... it's definately not due to "extremely high compression" either; as you'd know if you'd looked at the music in a wave editor.
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeng
yeah i noticed the drumming didnt sound too flash on the leak and having got the real thing the other day its still not that good. I mean its danny carrey the king of drums, they sound sweet as, but the guitars do drown him out somewhat
Vicarious is the only song that comes close to a good mix, an Aenima level mix. Danny and MJK are loud and clear, Adam is refrained, and it is BY FAR the best song on the CD.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #102
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeng
yeah i noticed the drumming didnt sound too flash on the leak and having got the real thing the other day its still not that good. I mean its danny carrey the king of drums, they sound sweet as, but the guitars do drown him out somewhat
Vicarious is the only song that comes close to a good mix, an Aenima level mix. Danny and MJK are loud and clear, Adam is refrained, and it is BY FAR the best song on the CD.
confidereme
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM

i second the notion of snap, crackle and pops.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #103
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

i second the notion of snap, crackle and pops.
Myramyd
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM

I heard the actual CD (as opposed to the torrent) today, and I noticed the same thing. I've produced a few albums in my time, and was listening to it on an okay CD player and very high-end headphones. The first thing I asked my friend (who had bought the CD) was whether or not he noticed how much clipping there was.

Strange...

I quickly threw in Lateralus to check the settings and no clipping there. I also noticed many inconsistencies with the mixing and production (I know that's another thread).

I'm glad to see others are hearing the same thing--I'm not crazy after all!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #104
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I heard the actual CD (as opposed to the torrent) today, and I noticed the same thing. I've produced a few albums in my time, and was listening to it on an okay CD player and very high-end headphones. The first thing I asked my friend (who had bought the CD) was whether or not he noticed how much clipping there was.

Strange...

I quickly threw in Lateralus to check the settings and no clipping there. I also noticed many inconsistencies with the mixing and production (I know that's another thread).

I'm glad to see others are hearing the same thing--I'm not crazy after all!
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM

I want to add that supposedly this was mastered by Bob Ludwig--one of the best in the business.

I don't think he would let that happen.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I want to add that supposedly this was mastered by Bob Ludwig--one of the best in the business.

05-02-2006, 08:47 PM

The guitars are loud, but I don't think it's to any other musician's detriment. It's just the style of this particular album.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #106

Bincount™: 2

The guitars are loud, but I don't think it's to any other musician's detriment. It's just the style of this particular album.
Steeletool
05-02-2006, 08:53 PM

no clipping here. It's your stereo
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #107
Level 1 - Lurker

Myramyd
05-02-2006, 08:57 PM

I have mixed/produced several albums and I immediately noticed the inconsistencies in mix from one song to the next. The guitars are too loud--the bass is squashed into the center with no "breathing room". There is little to no stereo separation in the toms mix on most (not all) of the tracks. If you listen to any other Tool album--or damn near any album--the mix stays relatively the same throughout the album. Time is usually spent to ensure this, to help the whole thing flow together. Some of the drum tracks sound like they were taken off a two-track and not mixed in post at all, while others sound much more full. It's sooooo all over the place production-wise. I find this very strange.

There's also the matter of clipping in several spots (see the other thread).

Why would they half-ass it so badly? It would make sense if these were leftover ideas and they mixed and matched recording sources, but not if this is the real, final album. Very bad if this is the case. Yes, it sounds better than Undertow, but at least that album is consistent throughout.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #108
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I have mixed/produced several albums and I immediately noticed the inconsistencies in mix from one song to the next. The guitars are too loud--the bass is squashed into the center with no "breathing room". There is little to no stereo separation in the toms mix on most (not all) of the tracks. If you listen to any other Tool album--or damn near any album--the mix stays relatively the same throughout the album. Time is usually spent to ensure this, to help the whole thing flow together. Some of the drum tracks sound like they were taken off a two-track and not mixed in post at all, while others sound much more full. It's sooooo all over the place production-wise. I find this very strange.

There's also the matter of clipping in several spots (see the other thread).

Why would they half-ass it so badly? It would make sense if these were leftover ideas and they mixed and matched recording sources, but not if this is the real, final album. Very bad if this is the case. Yes, it sounds better than Undertow, but at least that album is consistent throughout.
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlamaniac

yup. Heard it on two or three songs. Mostly bass, then drums. I actually liked how it sounded.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlamaniac

yup. Heard it on two or three songs. Mostly bass, then drums. I actually liked how it sounded.
05-02-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeletool
Can you explain the sound on head-phones on low volume? Because thats where I hear it.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeletool
Can you explain the sound on head-phones on low volume? Because thats where I hear it.
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myramyd

Is clipping so bad?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myramyd

Is clipping so bad?
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM

as a former sound engineer, I would have to respond to that question with an irrevocable "yes!"
Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #112

as a former sound engineer, I would have to respond to that question with an irrevocable "yes!"
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-02-2006, 09:54 PM

I dunno what you're hearing, but it could be intentional. remember that guitar distorition is a form of clipping.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #113
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I dunno what you're hearing, but it could be intentional. remember that guitar distorition is a form of clipping.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
blabber's Avatar blabber
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM

it's a lot like "God Hates Us All" by Slayer, it seems to be a recent trend in metal to really push everything too far... it's a little weird to hear Tool doing it, it gave God Hates Us All a good raw feel though.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #114
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

it's a lot like "God Hates Us All" by Slayer, it seems to be a recent trend in metal to really push everything too far... it's a little weird to hear Tool doing it, it gave God Hates Us All a good raw feel though.
unfnknblvbl's Avatar unfnknblvbl
05-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
No, not this sound - what I'm hearing (and I guess what everybody else is too) is that distinctive crackling sound that you get when something's been amplified up past the 0dB mark, and the curve of the waveform gets flattened out.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #115

Quote:
No, not this sound - what I'm hearing (and I guess what everybody else is too) is that distinctive crackling sound that you get when something's been amplified up past the 0dB mark, and the curve of the waveform gets flattened out.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl

Hard clipping is the most raunchy of guitar distortion

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #116
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl

Hard clipping is the most raunchy of guitar distortion

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly.....overdrive.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #117
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Exactly.....overdrive.
05-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
why would they put random scissor clipping sounds and bass pops randomly at that point - i dont hear it anyway

I'm with wordsmith -- tool seems to be low on the "weird sound effects" scale. They're not primus (lol)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #118
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
why would they put random scissor clipping sounds and bass pops randomly at that point - i dont hear it anyway

I'm with wordsmith -- tool seems to be low on the "weird sound effects" scale. They're not primus (lol)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
GreenSmurf's Avatar GreenSmurf
05-02-2006, 11:03 PM

I noticed this awhile ago on the leak but thought it was just because of a bad rip. Perhaps, it was rushed a bit too much.

-Bill Hicks
Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #119

Bincount™: 17

I noticed this awhile ago on the leak but thought it was just because of a bad rip. Perhaps, it was rushed a bit too much.

-Bill Hicks
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-sentient
Agreed with most of you that say "more Danny". The drumming is what stands out for me the most in all the albums, and it's being drowned out by the guitar riffs in this one.
Someone gave the 'guitar hero' too much freedom
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #120
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-sentient
Agreed with most of you that say "more Danny". The drumming is what stands out for me the most in all the albums, and it's being drowned out by the guitar riffs in this one.
Someone gave the 'guitar hero' too much freedom

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply