Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Mixing/Production issues with 10,000 Days

Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM

I do like the riffs, but I agree. For me, that's this album's biggest weak point. Guitar definitely should have been brought down. I've heard people say the leak mix wasn't as good as the CD, so I'm hoping it's at least a little different on the real thing...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95
Re: 10K Days; Too much guitar, not enough drums

I do like the riffs, but I agree. For me, that's this album's biggest weak point. Guitar definitely should have been brought down. I've heard people say the leak mix wasn't as good as the CD, so I'm hoping it's at least a little different on the real thing...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
05-01-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine

one tool fan to another.......

i could not disagree more
Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:

one tool fan to another.......

i could not disagree more
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM

I agree. Dannys drums make the tool sound stick together so well...it would be lost without him so for that fact i think it should have been built more around him. Guitars on aenima and lateralus were mixed fine the only thing i had a problem with about laterallus were how maynard and the rest of the band sounded apart. It was like they recorded music then maynard just tried to sing over it instead of great mixing like in aenima.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

I agree. Dannys drums make the tool sound stick together so well...it would be lost without him so for that fact i think it should have been built more around him. Guitars on aenima and lateralus were mixed fine the only thing i had a problem with about laterallus were how maynard and the rest of the band sounded apart. It was like they recorded music then maynard just tried to sing over it instead of great mixing like in aenima.
05-01-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus

sorry, but who are you agreeing with?

i think danny's drums on this album were phenomemal (sp.....liquor)
Old 05-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

sorry, but who are you agreeing with?

i think danny's drums on this album were phenomemal (sp.....liquor)
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Actually, I think Danny really shines on this album. He's not busting dangerously loud crashes and snare hits all the time, but in his own subtle and beautiful fashion, he's really brought the instrument to a higher level. At first, I thought the same thing as you, that the guitar simply drowns out everything else...but when you actually sit down and intently listen, there are so many intricate lacings of timings, notes, and rhythms that it really is quite baffling. Hell, the actually CD may be more level in the mixing department, but I've found everything to be above par thus far.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Actually, I think Danny really shines on this album. He's not busting dangerously loud crashes and snare hits all the time, but in his own subtle and beautiful fashion, he's really brought the instrument to a higher level. At first, I thought the same thing as you, that the guitar simply drowns out everything else...but when you actually sit down and intently listen, there are so many intricate lacings of timings, notes, and rhythms that it really is quite baffling. Hell, the actually CD may be more level in the mixing department, but I've found everything to be above par thus far.
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM

I was agreeing with the fact that the guitars were too loud and danny wasnt.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

I was agreeing with the fact that the guitars were too loud and danny wasnt.
05-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Ya im eager to hear the final product. I record and mix a lot of stuff of my own and for other local bands so i just have this thing about albums that arent mixed to my specific liking. Its a good album just not a fan of the mixing on 10kdays or lateralus. Aenima to me was perfectly mixed.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Ya im eager to hear the final product. I record and mix a lot of stuff of my own and for other local bands so i just have this thing about albums that arent mixed to my specific liking. Its a good album just not a fan of the mixing on 10kdays or lateralus. Aenima to me was perfectly mixed.
05-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoxy_Anomaly
Actually, I think Danny really shines on this album. He's not busting dangerously loud crashes and snare hits all the time, but in his own subtle and beautiful fashion, he's really brought the instrument to a higher level.
I know, and this is why I wish the guitar was brought down. There is some great drumming on here, but it's just overpowered by Adam's riffing.

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Actually, I think Danny really shines on this album. He's not busting dangerously loud crashes and snare hits all the time, but in his own subtle and beautiful fashion, he's really brought the instrument to a higher level.
I know, and this is why I wish the guitar was brought down. There is some great drumming on here, but it's just overpowered by Adam's riffing.

~Arno Schmidt
pseud0
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM

turn the drums and vocals up, guitars down slightly and keep the bass where it is... it would have been perfect
Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

turn the drums and vocals up, guitars down slightly and keep the bass where it is... it would have been perfect
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:

right on... danny has a different rhythm than the others on most tracks... and yet thye all meet at one in the end..... in cred i ble

by the way i have been spell checking everything my drunk ass is typing
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

right on... danny has a different rhythm than the others on most tracks... and yet thye all meet at one in the end..... in cred i ble

05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Understandable. I, personally, like that the intricacies are more subtle and not so much in the foreground...it kinds of makes you use your brain a little more when listening.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #12

Understandable. I, personally, like that the intricacies are more subtle and not so much in the foreground...it kinds of makes you use your brain a little more when listening.
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca77

er...... except for this post
Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

er...... except for this post
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwaters987
Danny isn't the best drummer in the world... Zach Hill is. http://hellaband.com/
heard him. Danny is my pick nothing you show me will make me think otherwise. Sorry my opinion.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwaters987
Danny isn't the best drummer in the world... Zach Hill is. http://hellaband.com/
heard him. Danny is my pick nothing you show me will make me think otherwise. Sorry my opinion.
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:

BINGO
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

BINGO
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:

i have to agree here.... danny carey is by far the best drummer alive
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

i have to agree here.... danny carey is by far the best drummer alive
05-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Agreed.
05-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure that making the guitars louder really makes you use your brain anymore than normal. Sure, you will use your ears more because you have to listen more carefully to hear everything he's doing...but that's not really the same thing.

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
I'm not so sure that making the guitars louder really makes you use your brain anymore than normal. Sure, you will use your ears more because you have to listen more carefully to hear everything he's doing...but that's not really the same thing.

~Arno Schmidt
mikemc99's Avatar mikemc99
05-01-2006, 07:53 PM

I can't believe someone else here listens to Hella. Zach Hill is the man, but I believe Danny is a little more skilled. Zach definately has the speed on Danny though, btw Zach only plays with a single bass pedal, which it all the more amazing. Also as a side note the drummer from Don Caballero, Damon Che, is absolutely amazing, in some songs he plays a beat with a 3 layered poly rythm. Back on topic though, i am a big fan of the mix on this cd, the bass really pops out.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

I can't believe someone else here listens to Hella. Zach Hill is the man, but I believe Danny is a little more skilled. Zach definately has the speed on Danny though, btw Zach only plays with a single bass pedal, which it all the more amazing. Also as a side note the drummer from Don Caballero, Damon Che, is absolutely amazing, in some songs he plays a beat with a 3 layered poly rythm. Back on topic though, i am a big fan of the mix on this cd, the bass really pops out.
Deoxy_Anomaly's Avatar Deoxy_Anomaly
05-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
The ears works sans brain?
Haha, I don't know, hell, it may just be me then, but I look at musix a bit differently than just listening. Maybe its just because I make music...but there's more to deciphering the intricate things certain musicians accomplish than just shoving your ear to the speaker. All just opinion and perspective, though.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Haha, I don't know, hell, it may just be me then, but I look at musix a bit differently than just listening. Maybe its just because I make music...but there's more to deciphering the intricate things certain musicians accomplish than just shoving your ear to the speaker. All just opinion and perspective, though.
05-01-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
agreed.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
agreed.
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Musix...just caught that and it made me giggle.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #22

Musix...just caught that and it made me giggle.
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM

yeah i noticed the drumming didnt sound too flash on the leak and having got the real thing the other day its still not that good. I mean its danny carrey the king of drums, they sound sweet as, but the guitars do drown him out somewhat
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #23

Bincount™: 4

yeah i noticed the drumming didnt sound too flash on the leak and having got the real thing the other day its still not that good. I mean its danny carrey the king of drums, they sound sweet as, but the guitars do drown him out somewhat
semi-sentient's Avatar semi-sentient
05-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Agreed with most of you that say "more Danny". The drumming is what stands out for me the most in all the albums, and it's being drowned out by the guitar riffs in this one. Hopefully the real CD will balance it out better.

That being said, 10,000 Days is still awesome. The more I listen to it the more I pick up as far as different sounds go.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #24

Agreed with most of you that say "more Danny". The drumming is what stands out for me the most in all the albums, and it's being drowned out by the guitar riffs in this one. Hopefully the real CD will balance it out better.

That being said, 10,000 Days is still awesome. The more I listen to it the more I pick up as far as different sounds go.
05-01-2006, 08:08 PM

Also, the record most definately would not be released if Danny wasn't happy with it, and Danny wouldn't be happy with it unless what he heard appealed to him in a great way...so that's good enough for me. Maybe he's looking to make people get a little closer to their speakers and really let the music penetrate them...draw them in closer so they can fully appreciate every detail? If not, it sounds like a good album premise to me, so I'll use it. Heh.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #25

Also, the record most definately would not be released if Danny wasn't happy with it, and Danny wouldn't be happy with it unless what he heard appealed to him in a great way...so that's good enough for me. Maybe he's looking to make people get a little closer to their speakers and really let the music penetrate them...draw them in closer so they can fully appreciate every detail? If not, it sounds like a good album premise to me, so I'll use it. Heh.
05-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Anyone else absolutely love the drum solo on Right in Two? That's quite possibly my favorite part of the album...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Anyone else absolutely love the drum solo on Right in Two? That's quite possibly my favorite part of the album...
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
05-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeng
Agreed, the quality of the leak isn't that much different to the quality of the CD. Danny's drumming is great, but it's too soft... I was hoping the drums would have a higher volume in the CD version than the leak, but it's not really the case. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #27
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeng
Agreed, the quality of the leak isn't that much different to the quality of the CD. Danny's drumming is great, but it's too soft... I was hoping the drums would have a higher volume in the CD version than the leak, but it's not really the case. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
While I understand what you're getting at, this is not at all what I said. You seemed to imply that having the guitars louder in the mix causes the listener to concentrate or 'use their brain a little more' while listening. What I'm saying is that this additional effort to pick out the subtle things that Danny is doing is not so much an intellectual pursuit as it is simply unnecessary. I mean, using this logic one could say that a completely incoherent mix is not so much 'crap' as it is 'challenging.'

But I digress. Like ya said, it's all preference. I've done a few mixes and I'm taking some recording classes right now so I think that has made me more picky than normal. I've become a snob! An ear snob!

And semi-sentient, I can't speak for everyone but I haven't been saying "more Danny" - I've been saying "less Adam." :D

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
While I understand what you're getting at, this is not at all what I said. You seemed to imply that having the guitars louder in the mix causes the listener to concentrate or 'use their brain a little more' while listening. What I'm saying is that this additional effort to pick out the subtle things that Danny is doing is not so much an intellectual pursuit as it is simply unnecessary. I mean, using this logic one could say that a completely incoherent mix is not so much 'crap' as it is 'challenging.'

But I digress. Like ya said, it's all preference. I've done a few mixes and I'm taking some recording classes right now so I think that has made me more picky than normal. I've become a snob! An ear snob!

And semi-sentient, I can't speak for everyone but I haven't been saying "more Danny" - I've been saying "less Adam." :D

~Arno Schmidt
Deoxy_Anomaly's Avatar Deoxy_Anomaly
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew7667
Insanity is what it is. We should all thank Aloke Dutta for that one.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew7667
Insanity is what it is. We should all thank Aloke Dutta for that one.
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn

headphones? comp speakers? i am wondering because on my stereo this sounds mind bending.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn

headphones? comp speakers? i am wondering because on my stereo this sounds mind bending.
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:

you should be Tool's producer and leader. if they followed everything you said they would actually be a good band. tool is not a good band and the music they make sucks.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

you should be Tool's producer and leader. if they followed everything you said they would actually be a good band. tool is not a good band and the music they make sucks.
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
05-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Headphones (not earphones) through a stereo. I'm not really a production connoisseur so maybe I'm missing the subtleties. I have to concentrate to hear the drums (for better or for worse)...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #32
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Quote:
Headphones (not earphones) through a stereo. I'm not really a production connoisseur so maybe I'm missing the subtleties. I have to concentrate to hear the drums (for better or for worse)...
05-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Indeed. But I think some music and the musicians who create it are intent on making it almost, dare I say, less accessible. It almost, to me, seems like an attempt to kind of scare away the casual listener into disliking it or disliking the levels and draw in a select crowd of intent ears. Just mindless theories, all my ranting.
Anyway, I can see where you're coming from and understand your opinions, I just have different ones. It's all good, though, because in the end, everyone gets a new Tool record so there's very little complaining from me.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #33

Quote:

Indeed. But I think some music and the musicians who create it are intent on making it almost, dare I say, less accessible. It almost, to me, seems like an attempt to kind of scare away the casual listener into disliking it or disliking the levels and draw in a select crowd of intent ears. Just mindless theories, all my ranting.
Anyway, I can see where you're coming from and understand your opinions, I just have different ones. It's all good, though, because in the end, everyone gets a new Tool record so there's very little complaining from me.
05-01-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz

i am happy to hear you say that. perhhaps soon you will leave.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz

i am happy to hear you say that. perhhaps soon you will leave.
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
My 69'th post wasted on stoned babbling. Another opportunity well-taken =P
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #35

Quote:
05-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Aye, that's the crux of the biscuit.

One part on this album I love is the electronic drumming in Intension - very reminiscent of newer King Crimson.

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #36
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

One part on this album I love is the electronic drumming in Intension - very reminiscent of newer King Crimson.

~Arno Schmidt
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-01-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thats what i thought on my 420th post a second ago.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
05-01-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Quite good.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #38

Quote:

Agreed. Quite good.
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Haha. Those are the moments you'll never get back.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Haha. Those are the moments you'll never get back.
05-02-2006, 12:22 AM

im listening to the CD right now. the quality of the sound is FAR FAR superior compared to the leaked version. if you cant hear that, you DEFINITELY need a better sound system or headphones. that being said, the drumming is quite prevalent on the album... the difference is that adam is taking a much more agressive and 'lead' type of role, and that gives the impression that danny has been moved in to the background when it, to me, actually seems like they have SERIOUSLY integrated their respective parts to a level that they have never achieved. they are so well balanced that you have to concentrate to be able to notice anything in particular. at first the guitar seems to be overbearing, but after a couple listens of getting used to this new sound, it falls in to place as a more balanced sound that doesnt push the guitar out of the ear in favor of over-reliance on the drums. but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #40
Paradigm Shifter (tdn $upporter)

im listening to the CD right now. the quality of the sound is FAR FAR superior compared to the leaked version. if you cant hear that, you DEFINITELY need a better sound system or headphones. that being said, the drumming is quite prevalent on the album... the difference is that adam is taking a much more agressive and 'lead' type of role, and that gives the impression that danny has been moved in to the background when it, to me, actually seems like they have SERIOUSLY integrated their respective parts to a level that they have never achieved. they are so well balanced that you have to concentrate to be able to notice anything in particular. at first the guitar seems to be overbearing, but after a couple listens of getting used to this new sound, it falls in to place as a more balanced sound that doesnt push the guitar out of the ear in favor of over-reliance on the drums. but that's just my opinion.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply