opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/11/05 - Lisbon, PRT - Atlantico Pavillion

SETLIST --

Setlist
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/11/05 - Lisbon, PRT - Atlantico Pavillion

simply great , amazing
i dont care if they played the same thing, it´s tool better than nothing.
the sound was good.
amazing show
stop complaining.
a...holes!!!

enjoy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TvQc5oMXo
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

My two cents:

Number one for the freekin’ organization:

It took ages to get in! By the time Mastodon was finishing their act, there where still thousands of people in line. This happened because the police was performing a thorough search of everyone getting in! Even lighters weren’t allowed. I mean, don’t take me wrong, I think that is just fine. But I always assume this is done to discourage people from getting in with dangerous stuff, not poking in everyone’s purse and personal belongings. In short… it took forever

Number two for the freekin’ organization and the freekin’ sound engineers:

The sound was, as you can hope in Atlântico Pavillion, most of the time pretty bad. I can’t believe that something that was built to receive musical performances has such shity acoustics. It might just be me, but it seemed that songs from 10k day had generally a worst sound than the rest of the set. Just too freeking loud! I do understand that in that venue, sound perception varies A LOT depending of where you are standing, but c’mon! Why do they have to crank it up until it distorts in this place? That bottom end buzz nearly blew my ears. In other Tool shows I saw, I could feel my chest vibrating when Justin hit those low notes, in this show, it was just ear piercing. This room really could use a lower ceiling…

Now for TOOL

Ok, this was my third Tool show and I enjoyed it, a lot! But… it was a tad too short, and I was a bit disappointed that it was the same set list they had played in SBSR except Right in Two was replaced by Lost Keyes and Rosetta Stoned. I was really hoping that they played 10k days and Wings, but oh well… It was still a great show.

Adam was very calm as usual. He his probably the most energy efficient guitarist I’ve ever seen! But that’s just the way it is, and that’s fine. He still rocks!
Maynard was his usual self, theatrically immersed in his performance. The sound problems didn’t make him justice. He was great, even with that gas mask! :D
Danny is amazing. Period. Incredible polyrhythm hypnotic freak, and probably one of the nicest people I’ve seen on stage. The man smiles ear to ear! That’s great!
Justin always seems to me to be really enjoying himself. Good performance.

Adam had technical problems ad the band sat together a bit while it was being solved. Danny lit a lighter, the audience followed. Maynard announced they’ll be back in the end of next summer (please not Atlântico Pavilion again).

All in all it was still great. A Tool show, is a Tool show, and it always be above average in my book. Thank you, and see you again in ten months or so!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Long story short, another great Tool show. A few facts anyway:

1. The doors were opened in a timely fashion, but unfortunately the security barriers were real bottlenecks. This meant people like me who got in line around 7pm only got inside the venue about 8.45pm. Which really blows, because I only caught like half of Mastodon's set and I was really looking forward to check them out again, with the new songs and all. While still in line, I asked a security guy who was wandering around what the hell was taking so long, with the opening band already playing and all, and he said that one of the band members demanded exhaustive searching on everybody getting into the venue plus no moshing/crowdsurfing and the usual no cameras, etc... To be honest, I hate when my favorite musicians turn really picky, but I've come to terms with Tool in this respect. It's the price I have to pay for their incredible music even if it means being let down sometimes. In this case it meant half of Mastodon's set for me and only the last few notes (if that!) to other more unfortunate (and late) people.

2. Mastodon was very very good and Brann Dailor, the drummer, is simply insane. That guy doesn't do rhythm, he sorta just does fills the entire time. Which, by the way, looks and sounds amazing. What I was able to catch of their set included "Colony of Birchmen", "Sleeping Giant", "I Am Ahab", "Megalodon" and "Hearts Alive" (which was the highlight for me!) if I'm not mistaken.

3. I don't think the sound was that bad as some people have mentioned. Granted, the acoustic in this venue isn't great but I think it really depends where you're standing. I was facing stage left, so I was pretty much in front of Justin and Danny and it sounded pretty good to me (and I'm kinda picky about sound quality, believe me!). It was above average as far as I'm concerned and it definitely enhanced both shows.

3. Yes, Tool playing the same setlists, especially when visiting the same countries a few months apart, is not very cool. I don't complain much however because a) I wasn't really able to see them properly a few months ago and b) it's a Tool show, dammnit. They could be playing Stinkfist and Vicarious all night, it would still be kickass. OK, not really, but you get the point.

4. Maynard again wore a gas mask for the duration of the show. I have nothing personal against anyone that smokes but I find that to be a very good way of telling those people to shove it. I wish everyone who wanted to smoke to be able to do it but also that anyone who does NOT want to smoke to ALSO be able to do that. I think I'll bring a gas mask along too next time around, because I had the misfortune of being surrounded by as much as four smokers sometimes.

5. Highlights for me were definitely "Schism", "Sober" and most of all "Vicarious". None was below Tool's average really - though I have a hard time getting into "Rosetta Stoned" at all. I think the band pretty much nailed everything (with the exception of those verses in "Vicarious" that go like "We all feed on tragedy, it's like blood to a vampire" where Maynard only sung "We all feed..." and then the band launched immediately into the climax of the track. Seemed like a bit of a trainwreck to me, but that's fine).

6. If they had played "Wings" and "10,000 Days", this would've been the perfect show as far as I'm concerned (I'm even willing to discount "Eulogy"). In this case, it was "only" great and an excellent night out with one of the best bands around.

That's all I can think of right now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

I am quoting jongleur here, cause his/her words are exactly what I feel:

"Ok it really seems like you are one of those blinded fans who really doesn't see what you see but see what you want to see. Do you honestly think it's a good thing to be completely blind towards the qualities of the show you are experiencing just because its Tool playing, and that it therefore "per definition" must be good?

If you don't look at what you see with critical eyes you are not really a fan in my eyes but more of a blind follower. A band like Tool who have that thing that all the other bands lack - being totally uncomprising towards what they are doing so that it has exactly that impact, they want it to have. I've been to other Tool shows before than the one I experienced two days ago in Madrid, but I must say that the feel of any "impact" was overshadowed by a feeling that they didn't do what they could for the integrity of this.

I know it also have something to say that you read about past concerts (which I have done a lot I must admit) but there is still a difference. Just the fact that they never gave a real explanation for why they cancelled the Barcelona show is weird...Like they don't care anymore. I'm still a big fan of Tool and I will remain so, but I seriously don't like the attitude they getting.

A standard Tool performance is still a hell of a lot better than most other concerts, but the word standard just never should be uttered in the same sentence as "Tool". Everything that makes them special from other bands now how become a bit of a joke in their live-performances and that is a shame"

I fully agree!! And I didn't know that they have cancelled the Barcelona show and didn't even bothered to present any explanations! Bad attitude growing there!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

I forgot to add something.. I am sure that those kind of fans, like the ones that the post I copied past to my reply, was answering are the ones who bought the targets from puscifer.com... they will "eat" anything.. can I "say" another thing? "Think for yourself"
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

1. Although the sound was really bad sometimes (why they always have to put the sound the louder they cab get? then it distorts everything), I enjoyed the concert.

2. It is ridiculous we have to pay 30€ to see a concert where you wait 1 hour to enter (I didn't see Mastodon at all :\ ) and to have to deal with that kind of sound - too loud and distorted. But in the end it was worth the money...

3. Maynard's voice didn't fail. It was the sound. Many times I put the hands in my ears and it sounded sooo much better. You could hear anything - the drums, strings and maynard's voice - which was great, although he hasn't pushed the limits like in the beginning of The Pot in SBSR.

4. Same setlist... yes that's a pity. I expected at least one surprise.

5. I think that the concert in 2002 @ Estádio do Restelo is something that will never be surpassed. I liked this concert but it in my opinion the setlist, visuals and maynard's speak were way better back in 2002. That was the concert of my life, I guess...

6. I think the visuals for this concert were better and more spectacular that in SBSR.

7. NIN in February will rock! (=^_^=)
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

"think for yourself, question authority..." -> keyword here, I really got pissed of for not being able do to see Mastodon just because the police was so meticulous... :(

vinch666: as far as I saw yesterday there was video, lights and lasers but no videos on the floor.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

ok music is art ! dont get it ? great ...
! ? music is beautiful and too are excellent .. dam those details .

In the summer in Portugal , jmk said it would be in open air .. so in summer fest probably SbSR(in may usually) dont really think so ..
my guess goes for Paredes de Coura !
just that and go tool im with you .. touring must be hard .
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

The good:

- Seeing Rosetta Stoned live for the first time
- Having seats and not needing to jump to see the band
- Better than SBSR
- Not much smoke!
- My car didn't broke =) (remember SBSR....)
- Awesome poster and new merchandising
- Knowing they will be back in the summer!!!!!!!
- Little time between guest band and Tool. First time it happened this fast.

The bad:

- Sound (blame Pavilhao Atlantico)
- Not as beautiful to watch as the previous US tour, no video on the floor, fewer lasers, too similar to SBSR where in the US the stage was completely different (and far better IMHO)
- No Wings for Marie
- Didn't let me in with a camera, although there were lots of them inside.
- Merchandising price was still too high (I know, same as before, but it was already high in the first place)

The ugly:

- Arriving one hour earlier and entering half hour later, loosing half of guest band
- Arguing with me that I couldn't take my camera to the concert but mobile phones with camera were fine since they weren't a camera. Tickets said any audio or video recorder not allowed.

The band:

- Maynard: Decent performance. The mask looked great and allowed him to make some cool moves. Voice was almost perfect, if not perfect (blame it on the sound). We could use some more interaction, but that's a detail.
- Danny: Nothing more to say, he just rocks. Most of the time I had to think for myself "Just look somewhere else, you're loosing the rest of the show!"
- Justin: Best show I've ever seen from Justin. He was just having such a great time, he was really enjoying playing. Amazing performance, very nice to watch. The way he thanked the audience at the end, priceless. Best in show.
- Adam: We could as well be sitting on a chair cause he just wasn't there, as he never is. But as long as he still plays like he played we'll forgive him. That's just how he is and it's a small price to pay in order to ear him play.

Overall:
Second best show I've seen, I must confess I'm a bit disappointed not to ear Wings for Marie, I was hoping the same setlist as the US tour, and the same visuals which looked way better. I still think the Lateralus Tour was one of a kind, probably will not see a better concert in my life. That's the problem of setting the bar that high. In the end I was very happy, no problems in the trip to and from the venue, and knowing I won't have to wait 4 more years to see them again is just priceless... Yeah, it sucked to have greater expectation and watching them not being met, but hey, it's a Tool concert... As I said before, it's like bitching for drinking the same excellent wine again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

nusense:
Believe me, if i knew the setlist from the day before in Madrid way earlier, i wouldnt have gone to the show.. i bought the ticket like 2months ago thinking i would see something "new".. a bit frustrating
Its like paying twice to see the same movie in cinema, if you like the movie you wait and buy the dvd (which i probably will in this case)
Honestly the only song that gave me chills was rosetta stoned, apart from the cliche stinkfist, but i wouldnt dare to say it was worth 30euros..

And yeah, im not so sure about going to anymore tool concerts next summer whatsoever if they decide to keep the setlist as it is
I dont mind about the songs from 10k days, they are touring for it but they should change the older ones a lot more
And at least give us wings..

Im a whiney bitch.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
this: "concert was really good, but i really wish they'd switch the setlist up" is perfectly acceptable, whereas this:
"fuck tool. i'm tired of paying my blah blah blah to hear the same setlist. THEY BETTER...." and that's where it starts. the fucking entitlement. ENJOY IT. DON'T ACT LIKE THEY "OWE" IT TO YOU, cause they don't owe anyone shit. just APPRECIATE what you can get, or......OR...don't fucking go to the shows and waste your money. then you won't have to whine. ;)
They don't owe?! Ahaha! Do you have any idea of what is music business? If fans like me, who have all the albums, who went to Tool shows dont exist, Tool would never do it. No success, no famous, no money, nothing!

I'm a HUGE fan of them. I was @ Pavilhão Atlantico two days ago and I'm still fucked up cause they play the same set list that Super Bock Super Rock (May 25th). Just changed Right In 2 for Rosetta. Aff.

Tool make music for them and not for fans. Great. But I just want a little bit of respect.

I am not saying that the show sucked. Not at all. Tool always give a good show, the sound speak for them. But... I'm disappointed, I really am.

Just like my sign says, I love Aenima. It's THE album. It's kinda sad for me, who already saw 2 shows never had the chance to watch H., Pushit, Third Eye, Hooker and of course Eulogy.

Not ask me or anyone who is disappointed to accept all Tool does. If we are making critics is because we aren't fanatic. We love them. And that's why I and them expected more.

Sorry for my english. Hope you understand.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

ah the best that night to complement my memories that night were consagrated with rain and a 1 hour storm .. beat that !
If you forget that ,mind as well live on a pre historic time with no internet or audio digital devices where you couldnt call you mother to bring you a umbrella !
setlist this !
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

I managed to take some photos with my cellphone. Not great but hey...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32374216@N00/
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

At least the merch didin't got more expensive (I think). I won't forget the 30€ I paid for a t-shirt back in 2002 (but it was worth it =) ).
I also start considering to buy seated tickets next time.
And if the next concert is in a summer festival I hope it is Paredes de Coura, if it is only a Tool concert I hope it will take place @ Coliseu dos Recreios, Lisbon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

ae

breathing did turned out to be a bitch in this one... no complaints though i was out of myself trough most of the show...

first of all i can't help feeling pissed with maynard... what's with the goddam gas mask man? it makes him WAY too impersonal...i guess the music has become something too important and personal for me to see him screw up with it... that's why i love him anyway...

the rest of the band was superb... the songs went out great even if the pavillion's sound was kinda messy...however i can't deny i was expecting a bigger, more intense show... i know this are the songs that represent this tour but i can't help missing songs like the grudge, pushit or the patient...
grumpy old me...

i kept thinking they had us by our balls the moment danny's drumset was revealed...but only a few of us were aware of what was about to go on that night...put simply, i'm sure everyone had a blast and kept something to remind, but only some of us went trough this show with an open mind, in order to absorb all those feelings and turn them in to something positive... i guess only some of us were "connected"...

special message for all the band:
thanks for coming.. always...seeing you all again is a much-needed breath of fresh air for all those who fight against this society that keeps puting aside those who think for themselves...obrigado!

(horns up for that rasta dude whose head was tuned with mine while schism was on, and mostly horns up for Sofia, who couldn't be there next to me, but still kept "pushing" me every second of it...)
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

-Sorry that is such a long post but it just came out that way-

here are some of my thoughts on some circunstances surrounding this show:

-shitty venue.3rd time I attended a concert at Pav.Atlantico and already had an idea what could be expected.(have to say that Tool is one of the few bands that make me go back to this place after the 2 previous experiences.) Suppose it’s great for sports but lousy for music.Enough been said about the acoustics already for now.
Also,despite liking the design/shape of the place itself...the colourful plastic chairs and the advertisements,for example,partly ruined the atmosphere for me.
I realise it’s quite more profitable for a promoter to book a band there (a crowd of 10,000 to 15,000) than at Coliseu (7000),for instance.Anyway,as a music lover and a fan,would much much rather had seen this show somewhere else.(can’t avoid remembering APC in Lisbon a couple of years ago...)

-‘security’ at the gates.
Mastodon’s soundcheck was still goin on well after 7pm –and the doors should have opened at about that time...instead,remained closed till 8.00!
(since I got there pretty early was among the first hundred (I guess) to get in...so, didn’t miss Mastodon,though didn’t like it...)
Little men in blue were responsable for security at the entrance...but all the thorough search was just absurd...and not effective:one of the girls who I was with,got in with a digital camera on her (searched) purse...
Never seen this before:lighters not allowed!And it wasn’t because of smoking or setting the damn place on fire..When I asked the cop who took my lighter how was somebody supposed to smoke without one,he said that matches were allowed !!!He also stated thatr never had heard of such a ‘rule’ but those were their orders.
Throwing lighters to the stage?Could this have been the reason?Would rather throw my phone than the lighter,believe me...that didn’t convince the cop,either..
Really,getting fed up with all the security hysteria.
Lots of people just got in way too late due to that and the timeschedule of the shows.Mastodon played for a very small crowd...

-the cretin mob at the ‘mosh pit’...most of all I pity them for not enjoying the show properly at times,visually and musically;get a bit pissed at them for not allowing other people to do it;loath them for being such pricks towards girls(specially) or who ever is near by.
It’s been quite a while since I’ve been this close to the stage (maybe the 7th person counting from the stage,right in front of Adam and MKJ) and is it me or is the moshing crowd different from what it used to? Just seemed so reckless and careless of who’s around them....precisely the opposite of what I used to enjoy once in a while about it:in spite of all the adrenaline rush and somewhat aggressive moves,people took care of who was around them..people CARED for other people.

As for the show itself...have to mention what let me down about it:

-this is what really made feel disappointed about it: No Wings.I’m waiting for the chance to witness Wings live since the their first 10,000Days gig.Almost didn’t cross my mind the possibilitie that Tool would leave it out for the begining of this European Tour after knowing they played it in the US...it chills me,top to bottom,imagining what it must be like to experience this LIVE.. more than disappointed I guess I was sad.

then,no candy like something from Opiate..or H.,The Grudge,Prison Sex,Third Eye (wishful thinking)..whatever ‘new’ they came up with,would be precious.
Just the same set as in May,except for swapping Right in Two fot Rosetta (exactly what they did most of the time in the summer european tour gigs and which i also saw in Amsterdam)...and that was great for a festival or ‘warm-up’ tour.
So,a short concert for what could be expected (about 2 hours,I thought previously) and precisely the same songs...can’t help to feel let down on that.A lot.

Wonder if I wrote anything positive above?...

Well,I could start by saying that the show was Brilliant!
All I mentioned before is what should have been different to add to the whole Tool experience.Amazing experience,must be said.
Great spot to watch the show,clear view to all of them –though Justin was a bit far and sideways from me-...finally was able to properly enjoy Danny at work ) and can only say:the guy is not from this planet. *****
The new (and ‘old’) visuals are excellent.The net of being,lasers,lights,videoscreens...pfff...all came together for a mind blowing psychedelic experience at times or introspective dark cloud straight from my innerself to my outer perception...
Surely missed a lot by being so close to the stage and under the lasers(got a sore neck at the end of the show) but even so...
Can’t complain too much about the sound itself;being upfront,a lot from the soundwall coming from the stage made it quite powerful and clear most of the time...except for Maynard’s voice which I couldn’t figure out at times –and all the crowd singing and shouting so loud around me didn’t help- .. still got an idea of how the reverb on other spots of the venue must have been annoying on some drums-only bits.

As for what matters the most:

-Jambi – this song blows me away.f**ing unbelievable power.one of my very own favourites from this guys.

-The Pot – rock,rock,rock.Rock On.
another one I love to listen to any day,any time.also impossible to stand still to.

-Lost keys / Rosetta Stoned – what a treat!this song is meant to be heard / played live,it attains another dimension (even MJK’s mask seemed to make sense)
I remeber some people bashing Adam’s parts on this song on the forum.Played live it just made me go insane..beautiful.

-it shows that there’s a LOT of effort put into 10,000days song’s live.or maybe the record just doesn’t put them under the proper light for me,though I love it!
Vicarious I only really got to love after listening to it live for the 1st time.Once again,one of the highlights of the show.

-46 & 2
just touches me every single time I listen to it.it becomes alive in me.enough said.

-Sober – it’s sooo good that they’re playing it live.even more with tremendous Merkaba deviation intro by Danny.

-Lateralus- yep,they really nailed this one.it comes out perfect,everything in it’s right place.and that Gong bit...pffff....

- Schism – one that I wouldn’t mind if they changed..it for some other song.

-Stinkfist – dark,dark stinkfist - and apocalyptic Aenema just show the strength of the fabulous four (who are The Beatles? ;) ) and how natural it seems for them to create anthems.

To Tool: please keep giving us what you are willing and able to,I dare to call it a blessing...and give us our Wings,one of these days.

n.

To R.F. – since I don’t want to be disrespectful of your language or mistreat it in any way (besides all the errors that surely are polluting this post) and you seem to be such a ferocious defender of flawless writing (praise the Lord for that),I’ll use correct grammar,vocabulary,the works: se não conseguisses ser tão anormal e arrogante terias outra ambição na vida?como beber óleo,por exemplo?
Don’t mention it,my pleasure.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skane View Post
se não conseguisses ser tão anormal e arrogante terias outra ambição na vida?como beber óleo,por exemplo?
Don’t mention it,my pleasure.
Man, that rulled :D .Dá-lhe!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: