opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #4561
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanminded050 View Post
Has anyone seen the Melvins in concert? I'm considering buying some tickets for their show in Denver. Are they any good live or are they too old now?
To me, you can't beat them.
They are one of the only bands that I will go well out of my way to see.
The new songs on the forthcoming album have once again impressed me with the way they continue to evolve and top themselves. I can't wait to hear the new songs live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #4562
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

on a completely unrelated topic,iwas on toolband the other day and read it was the aniversary of judith's death.there i found some inspiring words,in case you havent been there,ill share them with you,"take a moment to count your blessings,remind yourself that time is short.take a deep breath and allow the petty stuff to disintegrate to dust and blow away.its all gonna work out" MJK.seems fitting i come across this statement 2 weeks after ive split up with my cheating wife, of 16 years,who has ruined a handfull of once favorite TOOL songs for me. thanks maynard
i mean, we are like catapillars, contemplating pupation. no longer will i chew on the cabbage leaves, no longer will i spend my time moving on the underside of the foliage! life must be a preparation for the transition to another dimension...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #4563
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E2V0 View Post
on a completely unrelated topic,iwas on toolband the other day and read it was the aniversary of judith's death.there i found some inspiring words,in case you havent been there,ill share them with you,"take a moment to count your blessings,remind yourself that time is short.take a deep breath and allow the petty stuff to disintegrate to dust and blow away.its all gonna work out" MJK.seems fitting i come across this statement 2 weeks after ive split up with my cheating wife, of 16 years,who has ruined a handfull of once favorite TOOL songs for me. thanks maynard
I agree that his message started out inspiring, but don't you think it kind of turned into a pitch for his wine?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #4564
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarnell View Post
I agree that his message started out inspiring, but don't you think it kind of turned into a pitch for his wine?
Not at all, just being himself... ;)

And yeah, I've learned the hard way as well not to link any of your favorite things to a girl unless you have no doubt (then again, I guess 16 years would have you think that) because as soon as shit hits the fan, your favorite things have a much harder time being enjoyed and it feels like another piece of you died.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #4565
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Nothing showing Adam, but a few pics of Jello GAMH show over at sfgate dot com forwardslash cityexposed. Also a short audio interview of audience members. It's a nice venue. Saw the Patton Crudo show there last month.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #4566
Level 3 - Talker

Hello everyone- I've been away from this site for some time now- Many things going on in life, some good, but mostly bad, too much to talk about here- just wanted to say hi, I'm back, and what's crackin fellas?

It's been over a year since I logged in last- its amazing I remembered my password.

P.S.- FINALLY got rid of my mohawk... kinda had to for a job interview the other day.

"Peace... Out."
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #4567
Level 7 - Loquacious

Here's to George Carlin.

He was to me what Bill Hicks was to Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #4568
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralspinalcord View Post

P.S.- FINALLY got rid of my mohawk... kinda had to for a job interview the other day.
That's a slippery slope you're on. One day it's the mohawk, the next you'll own an iron...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #4569
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's a slippery slope you're on. One day it's the mohawk, the next you'll own an iron...
I already owned an iron, haha...

Update to my update, though- I think I got the job. As soon as interviews are done, the mohawk is being reinstated. My head feels naked.

It was worth it to nearly double my income, though.

Now I'll be able to afford the entire Pokemon card collection and my botox injections.

And my breast reduction. I'd like to reduce one of them.

P.S.- I wish this website had a thread for dreams. I've been keeping a very detailed diary of my dreams for some time now, and I have nowhere to post them for dissection. Carl Jung was fascinated by dreams and their multi-faceted meanings. I am too. Oh well.

Time to go finish taking pictures of my cast- that is being removed tomorrow.

Gonna try not to crash my motorcycle anymore- or at least not break bones when I do it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #4570
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Here's to George Carlin.

He was to me what Bill Hicks was to Tool.
FUCK !

And to add to that, I think in many ways George was to Bill Hicks what Bill Hicks was to Tool, as was Lenny Bruce to George and Bill.

I suppose I kinda knew it would happen sooner than later, but I'm severely bummed, nonetheless.

I'm forever glad I got to see this hero perform live at least once before he was gone.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #4571
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
FUCK !

And to add to that, I think in many ways George was to Bill Hicks what Bill Hicks was to Tool, as was Lenny Bruce to George and Bill.

I suppose I kinda knew it would happen sooner than later, but I'm severely bummed, nonetheless.

I'm forever glad I got to see this hero perform live at least once before he was gone.
Funny how that works eh? Jerry Seinfield had a short, but sweet editorial in the NY Times yesterday about George and his influence on comedy, of course, with a witty kicker :) I should check out more of Bill Hicks stuff, I'm sure I'd love it haha, I just wish my generation (being 20) would appreciate it someone as smart as Carlin compared to Dane Cook (sucks and yells a lot) or Carlos Mencia (cool, you understand the term beaner) outside my group of friends. Just the way he understood language far enough to turn it around on itself is a short list of people. Some of my professors keep telling me to stop breaking the rules of writing and stop being so creative. Pretty whacked huh?

Now if only I could pair the blistering social commentary of Carlin and music power of Tool into one, why, I'd rule the world! MWUAHAHA!!!
Some day...(well, at least the half of the people smarter than the average person)

btw Junior, I was just watching the Aenima 07' vids, and for the last 10 seconds, how the hell is that all programmed? Thats the most intense light show I've ever seen! It's literally ruined any stage show I've seen since Tool. Dethklok and Dream Theater have some pretty cool stuff going, but nothing stacks up to what you put out there!

Last edited by musicmansf; 06-24-2008 at 04:13 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #4572
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Funny how that works eh? Jerry Seinfield had a short, but sweet editorial in the NY Times yesterday about George and his influence on comedy, of course, with a witty kicker :)
---------------
btw Junior, I was just watching the Aenima 07' vids, and for the last 10 seconds, how the hell is that all programmed? Thats the most intense light show I've ever seen! It's literally ruined any stage show I've seen since Tool. Dethklok and Dream Theater have some pretty cool stuff going, but nothing stacks up to what you put out there!
Louis CK had some nice words on his website http://www.louisck.net , as did Lewis Black http://www.lewisblack.com/news.asp.
There's also a nice remembrance from director Kevin Smith in Newsweek http://www.newsweek.com/id/142975/, or at his own website http://www.newsaskew.com/2008/06/25/...vin-on-carlin/.

As for the ending of "Aenema": I wish I could remember; it's been so long since they've played it.
Couldn't resist...

That ending grew into a pretty intense thing by the time they had stopped doing it. A lot of the push/pull strobe stuff during the final "hey, hey" section is just written on 2 faders of the lighting console and I manually slid back and forth between the two. Sometimes the simple route is the most effective. Scott held off on the lasers until just the right moment and then all departments unleashed the fury that is the last 3 seconds. That was always the idea of that tour. A progressive build to a sensory overload.
When it seemed like they were not going to do that song anymore, Scott took his ending for it, modified it a bit, and used it at the end of "Vicarious".

Last edited by junior; 06-25-2008 at 01:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #4573
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I agree. I saw TOOL 3 times in '06/'07 and it has ruined seeing other shows for my wife and I, but of course in a good way ;) The idea of the projection stage, screens, lasers. I'm wondering how it will be topped on the next tour.

I do agree with the band, that a live DVD might not be the best medium though. I was watching the concert I attended and it was so 1 dimensional. You cannot grasp the feeling you get while at the concert like during Lateralus or stinkfist.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #4574
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
I do agree with the band, that a live DVD might not be the best medium though. I was watching the concert I attended and it was so 1 dimensional. You cannot grasp the feeling you get while at the concert like during Lateralus or stinkfist.
That seems to be the major stumbling block that keeps one from happening.
While I do agree with the principle of that, I wish there were at least a nice document of the tour.
The 2002 tour got captured for the archives with multiple cameras, whether the public ever sees it or not.
The 2006-2007 shows never even got a good filming/video recording made of them. So there's no hi-quality record of it ever happening. All that exist are single locked-off wide shots from the back of the floor, and a couple recordings from up high above the floor.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #4575
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
That seems to be the major stumbling block that keeps one from happening.
While I do agree with the principle of that, I wish there were at least a nice document of the tour.
The 2002 tour got captured for the archives with multiple cameras, whether the public ever sees it or not.
The 2006-2007 shows never even got a good filming/video recording made of them. So there's no hi-quality record of it ever happening. All that exist are single locked-off wide shots from the back of the floor, and a couple recordings from up high above the floor.

yea, it's too bad because this was a great tour show wise.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #4576
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Speaking of, I do remember that they filmed the last six shows from that final leg in 2002, but I also seem to remember Blair posting something about an "after" show performance of Faaip de Oiad for a surprise on the dvd. Possibly in Oklahoma, supposedly they came back on about 30 minutes after everyone left and Danny bashed it out.
Anyone else remember that post? I looked back but couldn't find it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #4577
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Speaking of, I do remember that they filmed the last six shows from that final leg in 2002, but I also seem to remember Blair posting something about an "after" show performance of Faaip de Oiad for a surprise on the dvd. Possibly in Oklahoma, supposedly they came back on about 30 minutes after everyone left and Danny bashed it out.
Anyone else remember that post? I looked back but couldn't find it.
I believe that "happened" in Reno, if I remember correctly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #4578
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

further details?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #4579

Bincount™: 6

so whose read the recent newsletter? Blair talks about what the band members have been up to. certain comments lead me to believe Tool is not done making albums. supposedly justin has been working on riffs (for Tool). there was something else i read as well, cant remember now.

discuss away
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #4580
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
So they really did do Faai de Oiad in Reno? Any details you can talk about?
And how's DD tour in Europe going?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #4581
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
So they really did do Faai de Oiad in Reno? Any details you can talk about?
Well, they must have been in a good mood in '02, cuz when they came though Reno last year, they certainly seemed pissed about something. (probably about having to be in Reno lol [as reference to the lack of singing and lack of two songs])
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #4582
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
further details?
Note the "quotes".

I would call it an alleged incident, but the reported location was Reno, if I remember correctly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 AM   #4583
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
The tour is going OK. Some weird gigs.
DD was the first pop act to play at the Louvre in Paris a few weeks ago for a charity auction. Then they played at a castle in Italy for Flavio Briatore's wedding (he's the head of Renault F1 Racing). We did some normal shows in Germany, Belgium, Holland and Denmark.
I'm almost finished with a week off in London.
The band are rehearsing with DJ/producer/muso Mark Ronson for a gig next week in Paris that is being recorded for Channel 4 ( I think ). It's going to be a "remix" set of modified Duran songs mixed in with some other stuff, and Ronson's band joining in. Horns, strings, percussion, etc.
The string section are the "Demon Strings", whom I've toured with before when they were playing with "The Good, the Bad and the Queen" last year. They're part of Ronson's band now, but gained notoriety in "Gorillaz".
After that we've got a few larger scale UK arena shows and then some more shows throughout Europe, including over a week of cities in Italy.
It's scheduled to finish around the end of July, and then back to the US for me to see what else I can get into. There might be some more Duran shows in August/September. Not sure.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #4584
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by l David l View Post
so whose read the recent newsletter? Blair talks about what the band members have been up to. certain comments lead me to believe Tool is not done making albums. supposedly justin has been working on riffs (for Tool). there was something else i read as well, cant remember now.

discuss away
I wouldn't read into those newsletters too much. I feel like I'm being toyed with every time I read them.

Tool is not done making albums, unless one of them gets hit by a peach truck. Maynard clearly said at the Grammy's that the band has started work on the new album. At this point, I'm sure they have been jamming together and kicking around some ideas. As with every album they've made, they're taking their sweet time and exploring every possible path until they find the one that feels right. Danny's injury has obviously slowed this process down.

I'm hoping that they give us an official update on the next album soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4585
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
The tour is going OK. Some weird gigs.
Duran Duran playing a wedding must have been something to see. Funny stuff.
A week off too? In England? In the summer? Not bad. Hope you toured the Tower of London. Anyway, thanks for the update and good luck the rest of the way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #4586

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
I wouldn't read into those newsletters too much. I feel like I'm being toyed with every time I read them.

Tool is not done making albums, unless one of them gets hit by a peach truck. Maynard clearly said at the Grammy's that the band has started work on the new album. At this point, I'm sure they have been jamming together and kicking around some ideas. As with every album they've made, they're taking their sweet time and exploring every possible path until they find the one that feels right. Danny's injury has obviously slowed this process down.

glad to hear someone else thinks the same at least.

i didnt mean that i thought tool was working on a new album, i just meant that they would like to work on a new album and that they are not done yet, like you said. i dont care if it takes years, its still awesome to know they are still thinking about making new albums. i really thought 10k days would probably be the last till now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #4587
Level 7 - Loquacious

So I was checking out the STP videos on blabbermouth and it seems like the huge video screens are becoming the norm... I do like their setup though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZWmSrohmw

maybe Tool's next tour will be house lights only LOL
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #4588
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

Quote:

i definateley agree,im fairly confident they will put out another album,unfortunately i think that'll be it.one more album,one more tour.cmon,the guys are gettin up there,what are they gonna do,go on forever like the stones?maynard's what 42,43 now?you gotta figure he'll be done after another tour,vocals dont hold out forever.look at the problems on 10000 days,wasnt the same as lateralus days.
i mean, we are like catapillars, contemplating pupation. no longer will i chew on the cabbage leaves, no longer will i spend my time moving on the underside of the foliage! life must be a preparation for the transition to another dimension...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #4589
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E2V0 View Post
i definateley agree,im fairly confident they will put out another album,unfortunately i think that'll be it.one more album,one more tour.cmon,the guys are gettin up there,what are they gonna do,go on forever like the stones?maynard's what 42,43 now?you gotta figure he'll be done after another tour,vocals dont hold out forever.look at the problems on 10000 days,wasnt the same as lateralus days.
Its just an evolution, you wouldn't want a band to sound the same forever would you? :)
As much as I'd love to hear the grudge live, they're adapting to age. I think songs like Right in Two are going to be Tool's future, well, thats the hint I got from them using it as a closing piece of 10,000 Days (which is funny, because its kind of 46&2 re-written in parts lol)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #4590
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Its just an evolution, you wouldn't want a band to sound the same forever would you? :)
As much as I'd love to hear the grudge live, they're adapting to age. I think songs like Right in Two are going to be Tool's future, well, thats the hint I got from them using it as a closing piece of 10,000 Days (which is funny, because its kind of 46&2 re-written in parts lol)
Tool will be able to tour and record albums as long as they'd like to. Maynard's vocals are not giving out on him anytime soon. I don't think they're adjusting their setlists for their age at all. They're not that old! They would have no problems playing the Grudge live if they wanted to. They played Opiate on the 10,000 days tour, and it sounded awesome.

There is a good possibility that the next album will be less heavy than the previous albums. I hope they're able to stay true to the experience that their albums have offered. I want them to do something along the lines of the Pink Floyd album Animals, and have a series of 12-15 minute psychadelic songs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #4591
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I found this snippet on Tool's attorney's website. It appears Tool is up to something. The new DVD? Album?
http://attorneyalanjones.com/

"My trip to LA this month was productive, eventful
and fun. I had good meetings with Tool's various
band members, lawyers, cpa and investment advisors.
Plus I met with Tool's label rep Matt Marshall and
talent manager Pete Riedling at Sony/BMG in Santa Monica
where we talked at length about some of the really cool
and very secret things Tool has cooking this year."
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #4592
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
I found this snippet on Tool's attorney's website. It appears Tool is up to something. The new DVD? Album?

"
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of, an attorney who gives updates on his clients...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #4593

That's not crazy, Entertainment lawyers do this all the time. Plus, you would too if you were Adam Jones's brother.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #4594
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraL9eight7 View Post
That's not crazy, Entertainment lawyers do this all the time. Plus, you would too if you were Adam Jones's brother.
I stand corrected, again. Didn't read the fine print, or any print for that matter.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #4595

Quote:

Yo thats digging deep for information.... Good work
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 AM   #4596
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Thoughts on this Junior????

You know, we are all "hungry like the wolf" (for Tool anything)

gogogogogogo
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #4597
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

tools pretty average...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #4598
Level 4 - Thinker

I recently have heard semi-official news about Tool songs being featured in the popular video game Guitar Hero 4. For me I kind of felt disappointed in this news because I thought I remembered hearing in an interview with one of the members that they were totally against putting their music in Guitar Hero because it doesn't encourage kids to learn an actual instrument. Plus in one of Blair's postings he actually made fun of a fan for asking this question. Now I realize Blair's opinion may differ from the actual memebers but does anybody see this as kind of selling out just to get some extra money. (Please no Hooker With A Penis References. I am looking for honest thougts).
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #4599

I don't see why the mebers of any real bad would be intelligably anti-guitar hero. If a kid who would otherwise be playing GTA4 picks up Guitar Hero 4, he/she is probably going to be able to connect with music and develop basic rhythm skills and maybe become inspired to pick up an actual instrument. Personally I rarely play videogames but Guitar Hero could have a great effect on the planet, me thinks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #4600
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan#1 View Post
I recently have heard semi-official news about Tool songs being featured in the popular video game Guitar Hero 4. For me I kind of felt disappointed in this news because I thought I remembered hearing in an interview with one of the members that they were totally against putting their music in Guitar Hero because it doesn't encourage kids to learn an actual instrument. Plus in one of Blair's postings he actually made fun of a fan for asking this question. Now I realize Blair's opinion may differ from the actual memebers but does anybody see this as kind of selling out just to get some extra money. (Please no Hooker With A Penis References. I am looking for honest thougts).
I actually hope the do a Tool only Guitar Hero or Rock Band game. the idea of selling out is totally absurd to me. Bands that make careers out of making music have the goal of making it big.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: