opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #41
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483
Re: Is Opiate anyone's FAVORITE album?

ya, its pretty sweet
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn View Post
Well I know this. It's these american people I talk to (that I stated are fools) who try to argue with me.

I have to say Opiate is great, but Tool were most probably looking for footholes when they wrote it. Same with Undertow.

I think maybe these people are just too narrow minded to look outside the square and explore whatever is it that surrounds them.
I completely agree. They were looking for footholds. That is why Opiate and Undertow are so much less musically sophisticated, and less emotionally involved than the last 3 albums. Tool had to begin by writing catchy, simplistic, easier music for their label and for the public. After they solidified their contract, they took off into progressive world with Aenima, and they just got better from there. If anything, Tool sold out with Opiate and Undertow...then they redeemed themselves with the next 3.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #43
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I agree the last 3 were more musically sophisticated, but Undertow is pretty emotional, no?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

it has gotta be the worst they have put out.....lost me w/ that first album someone had to talk me into listening to the 2nd I had already made up my mind that they sucked but I listened to undertow & said hmm...dudes your coming around now.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #45
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

^ which is ironic, considering that Tool put all their hardest, most aggressive tracks on Opiate so they would actually be considered in the early 90's grunge/heavy metal movement. and looking back, it's their more subtle, progressive work that really got them where they are today.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #46

Bincount™: 2

I think its Tools most raw, simplistic album, and its great to listen to when you just want to scream Fuck You at someone or something, but other than that its uniqueness ends there. I think Undertow is superior because it has more versatility and emotion (not to mention it is Tools most angry album which makes it even more awesome). I dunno, Opiate is definitely a classic and will always be the best EP ever produced ever, but I don't feel like its essential to liking Tool (like, say, all of their LPs are). I didn't end up listening to Opiate until way later and it took the longest for me to appreciate but thats probably because when I thought of Tool at the time I didn't picture them as a metal band so I didn't find it to be very relevant to the rest of their work. It wouldn't surprise me if the majority of people think Opiate is either Tools best album or their worst just because it isn't anything like their later stuff
Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #47

Bincount™: 2

you know, after listening to this more it almost is becoming my favorite Tool album. Well it's been the number one album on my Tool playlist for awhile, so I guess technically you could say it is my favorite, but then again none of the songs on here are older than probably over half of the ones on Undertow (like Crawl Away and Sober for example) so in a way Undertow is basically the 2nd half of Opiate... it just happens to be more than half, so everyone already likes Undertow more if not for that reason, however I think you can argue that Opiate and Undertow are one and the same since all of the songs were written during the same time frame, and if it wasn't for Tools label being like "release an EP before anything else" as part of the contract agreement then this album wouldn't even exist and all of the songs on here would have likely been on Undertow. So by that definition this would be my favorite Tool album.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

This is definitely by far my favorite album, for it is the first I heard that pulled the veil off of what I would learn is "real" music. Meaning, emotion, self-preservation and helping people realize that people don't matter. What you think of yourself is king, so treat yourself like such.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: