Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
Spideymon77's Avatar Spideymon77
12-09-2016, 07:41 PM

I've had this thought for a while. Allot people agree that Jambi is about Maynard's son and how his son being born changed his life. In the song he says...

(Silence legion, save your poison. Silence legion, stay out of my way!)

Is Maynard talking to Tool fans and how they should "stay out of my way". Maybe not bother him and his son and to "save your poison"?

What do you guy's think? Does this make sense?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Does "Legion" Refer To Tool Fans?

I've had this thought for a while. Allot people agree that Jambi is about Maynard's son and how his son being born changed his life. In the song he says...

(Silence legion, save your poison. Silence legion, stay out of my way!)

Is Maynard talking to Tool fans and how they should "stay out of my way". Maybe not bother him and his son and to "save your poison"?

What do you guy's think? Does this make sense?
12-09-2016, 07:52 PM

i just imagine "legion" as in the biblical term. imo, it's a warning to anyone intending to tempt, control, or do harm to him.

i always thought that this song was kind of like a prelude to wings. that it was also about his mother. i never considered it being about his son. i gotta listen to it again now.

wiki page about the biblical term "Legion"

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-09-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Banned.

Re: Does "Legion" Refer To Tool Fans?

i just imagine "legion" as in the biblical term. imo, it's a warning to anyone intending to tempt, control, or do harm to him.

i always thought that this song was kind of like a prelude to wings. that it was also about his mother. i never considered it being about his son. i gotta listen to it again now.

wiki page about the biblical term "Legion"

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-09-2016 at 08:00 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
12-10-2016, 12:52 AM

legion is another allusion to our false sense of separatism (44&2)
of seeing "parts" (or things!) instead of the "oneness" (of me) -_-

"silence legion (ego), save your poison" ...crucify/kill your"self"
...is the same idea as saying "i need to watch things (ego) die"

"silence PARTs! ...stay out of the way OF ME (stay out of my way*!)"
*omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, w/o judgment/condition/parts
unconditional one, (christ/golden consciousness) ...just ahead of me!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

legion is another allusion to our false sense of separatism (44&2)
of seeing "parts" (or things!) instead of the "oneness" (of me) -_-

"silence legion (ego), save your poison" ...crucify/kill your"self"
...is the same idea as saying "i need to watch things (ego) die"

"silence PARTs! ...stay out of the way OF ME (stay out of my way*!)"
*omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, w/o judgment/condition/parts
unconditional one, (christ/golden consciousness) ...just ahead of me!
12-10-2016, 01:08 AM

if 'consciousness' is the name of the game (and it is)...

compare
i need to watch things die = ZERO, the fool!
with
you believed in moments NONE -could- see!

(it's an instruction/directive ...to hush the mind!,
to let go, relax, learn to swim this ocean of chaos,
to fall to gravity/unknown, don't/won't know!~)

TOOL > FOOL (see thoth tarot deck for more)

blair's first TOOL newsletter starts off with the following...
"Forgetting who I was for the first time in my life, just a scared little creature with a featureless body, all I could do was feel and see. That is when you know how infinite the universe is, when you have no reference point (cognition). NOTHING to compare any thing to. Just a bunch of sensory data experienced by an Infant." - excerpt from a letter by a TOOL fan

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 12-10-2016 at 01:14 AM..
Old 12-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

if 'consciousness' is the name of the game (and it is)...

compare
i need to watch things die = ZERO, the fool!
with
you believed in moments NONE -could- see!

(it's an instruction/directive ...to hush the mind!,
to let go, relax, learn to swim this ocean of chaos,
to fall to gravity/unknown, don't/won't know!~)

TOOL > FOOL (see thoth tarot deck for more)

blair's first TOOL newsletter starts off with the following...
"Forgetting who I was for the first time in my life, just a scared little creature with a featureless body, all I could do was feel and see. That is when you know how infinite the universe is, when you have no reference point (cognition). NOTHING to compare any thing to. Just a bunch of sensory data experienced by an Infant." - excerpt from a letter by a TOOL fan

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 12-10-2016 at 01:14 AM..
Malaclypse
12-10-2016, 01:48 AM

damn, nice. i can't top that.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
Banned.

damn, nice. i can't top that.
Spideymon77's Avatar Spideymon77
12-11-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Thanks for the feedback guys.
12-25-2017, 09:38 AM

My take is, yes, partly. I believe this song is about Maynard feeling divided by two aspects of his life: the rock star life that has made him wealthy and (reluctantly) famous, and the relatively quiet life of a winemaker and family guy which he refers to as "my peace of my, my home, my center". He wants the latter all the time (who wouldn't?), but he needs the former to support it. He can't have one without the other, so he has to balance the two. "Damn my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum [balance]. If wants [peace, happiness] and needs [rock star money] divide me then I might as well be gone."

The "Shine On" section has a double meaning. On the surface, he could be talking about grafting grapevines. "Shine down upon the severed, shine until the two become one." He's using that as a metaphor for reconciling the two conflicting halves of his life. Then Maynard meditates with his grapes: "breathe in union, so as one survive another day and season."

"Legion" refers to all those people who want a piece of him and disrupt the quiet side of his life, including (but not limited to) pushy, impatient Tool fans. Not all of us, just the assholes who don't respect his space and privacy.

The title, "Jambi" is a red herring. A throwaway reference to the "wishes" in the first verse and a bit of a joke about the urban legend that he was a cast member on Pee-wee's Playhouse. It's probably meant to distract us from the seriousness and deeply personal nature of the lyrics.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

My take is, yes, partly. I believe this song is about Maynard feeling divided by two aspects of his life: the rock star life that has made him wealthy and (reluctantly) famous, and the relatively quiet life of a winemaker and family guy which he refers to as "my peace of my, my home, my center". He wants the latter all the time (who wouldn't?), but he needs the former to support it. He can't have one without the other, so he has to balance the two. "Damn my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum [balance]. If wants [peace, happiness] and needs [rock star money] divide me then I might as well be gone."

The "Shine On" section has a double meaning. On the surface, he could be talking about grafting grapevines. "Shine down upon the severed, shine until the two become one." He's using that as a metaphor for reconciling the two conflicting halves of his life. Then Maynard meditates with his grapes: "breathe in union, so as one survive another day and season."

"Legion" refers to all those people who want a piece of him and disrupt the quiet side of his life, including (but not limited to) pushy, impatient Tool fans. Not all of us, just the assholes who don't respect his space and privacy.

The title, "Jambi" is a red herring. A throwaway reference to the "wishes" in the first verse and a bit of a joke about the urban legend that he was a cast member on Pee-wee's Playhouse. It's probably meant to distract us from the seriousness and deeply personal nature of the lyrics.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply