Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
CaseLogic
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM

It is "ignorant siblings in the congregation". I messed with the mp3 and I can pretty much clearly hear siblings, because there's a beginning 's' sound.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #281
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Re: lyrics

It is "ignorant siblings in the congregation". I messed with the mp3 and I can pretty much clearly hear siblings, because there's a beginning 's' sound.
OFFLINE |  
beligerentfokker's Avatar beligerentfokker
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaded memory
how about the ignorant flippant in the congrregation. not plural sorta like the flippant ignorant but flip flopped. it's definitely not fibbers and my previous post of ignorant fed/fled within the congregation (wrong) has been eating me up inside.
?? Looks like you almost had it.. and then...

Quote:
I think we have it accept for one line and that is "ignorant ? within the congregation." I've read flippant, fibbers (so goddamn wrong), flip, flit, siblings. I agree with tyrith. There is definitely a "within" in there. I keep thinking it might be fled as in people who were not so close to her mingling in the crowd away from Maynard and family because they don't know what to say. I'm good with every line but this one. Anyone sure of this line?
YES.. read on.... As for you Case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic
One hyphenated word for you... Q-Tips.. buy some.. use them.. THEN try your headphones again... the beginning is "FFFFFFF" not "SSSSSS"... close, but.. not

with headphones, without headphone, car stereo, home stereo.. i do NOT hear "within".. i don't hear a "wuh" sound

The line is... unequivicably without a doubt, willing to go to vegas and put money on:

Ignorant FLIPPANTS in the congregation

suggesting all the parishoners at his mother's church are for the most part, a bunch of two-faced hypocrites, they offer him their sympathy, but there's no sincerity behind it. they are "feigning all their trials and tribulations..." but none of them experienced what she's had to go through. and for 27 years...

again.. flippant is defined as one who shows inappropriate levity... levity is defined as an inappropriate lack of seriousness

completely fits the context of the thought, the line.. the song
anyone wanna put their money in on challenging this line?
I say FLIPPANTS.. seriously
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #282
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
how about the ignorant flippant in the congrregation. not plural sorta like the flippant ignorant but flip flopped. it's definitely not fibbers and my previous post of ignorant fed/fled within the congregation (wrong) has been eating me up inside.

Quote:
I think we have it accept for one line and that is "ignorant ? within the congregation." I've read flippant, fibbers (so goddamn wrong), flip, flit, siblings. I agree with tyrith. There is definitely a "within" in there. I keep thinking it might be fled as in people who were not so close to her mingling in the crowd away from Maynard and family because they don't know what to say. I'm good with every line but this one. Anyone sure of this line?

Quote:
One hyphenated word for you... Q-Tips.. buy some.. use them.. THEN try your headphones again... the beginning is "FFFFFFF" not "SSSSSS"... close, but.. not

with headphones, without headphone, car stereo, home stereo.. i do NOT hear "within".. i don't hear a "wuh" sound

The line is... unequivicably without a doubt, willing to go to vegas and put money on:

suggesting all the parishoners at his mother's church are for the most part, a bunch of two-faced hypocrites, they offer him their sympathy, but there's no sincerity behind it. they are "feigning all their trials and tribulations..." but none of them experienced what she's had to go through. and for 27 years...

again.. flippant is defined as one who shows inappropriate levity... levity is defined as an inappropriate lack of seriousness

OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
05-09-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligerentfokker
Precisely. "Sibling" is more typically a term of brotherhood and endearment, which are hardly the feelings that Maynard has for these people he's speaking of.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #283
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Precisely. "Sibling" is more typically a term of brotherhood and endearment, which are hardly the feelings that Maynard has for these people he's speaking of.
OFFLINE |  
Milk
05-09-2006, 06:00 PM

at 8:14 into the song it sounds more like:

"he wore the light away that they will only read about"
Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #284
Level 1 - Lurker

at 8:14 into the song it sounds more like:

"he wore the light away that they will only read about"
OFFLINE |  
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flippant

flippant is an adjective. you don't call someone "a flippant".. you say they are "being flippant," or "making flippant remarks."

as to whether or not it's "fibbers," i'm not sure.. i used a "vocal remover" plugin (which ironically, is better at removing music than vocals on some tracks, this one included) and i can hear what people are hearing as an "l" sound, but if anything it's "flibbers," which makes no sense.. so i'm sticking with fibbers for now.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #285
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flippant

flippant is an adjective. you don't call someone "a flippant".. you say they are "being flippant," or "making flippant remarks."

as to whether or not it's "fibbers," i'm not sure.. i used a "vocal remover" plugin (which ironically, is better at removing music than vocals on some tracks, this one included) and i can hear what people are hearing as an "l" sound, but if anything it's "flibbers," which makes no sense.. so i'm sticking with fibbers for now.
05-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.omgosh.com/siblings.mp3

Sorry that it sounds like it's poor quality, but that's the side-effect of slowing down the tempo.

If I listen for siblings, I hear siblings clearly. If I listen for flippants, I can hear flippants, but not with as much certainty. We'll just have to see. I'm sticking with siblings
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #286
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

http://www.omgosh.com/siblings.mp3

Sorry that it sounds like it's poor quality, but that's the side-effect of slowing down the tempo.

If I listen for siblings, I hear siblings clearly. If I listen for flippants, I can hear flippants, but not with as much certainty. We'll just have to see. I'm sticking with siblings
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
[URL=http://www.omgosh.com/siblings.mp3]If I listen for siblings, I hear siblings clearly. If I listen for flippants, I can hear flippants, but not with as much certainty. We'll just have to see. I'm sticking with siblings
When I listen for flippants, I hear flippants, when I listen for siblings, I still hear flippants... I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnart
While I am in agreement with that, we are talking about a song, in which the author has poetic license to use whatever word, whichever way they want, and given the context, flippant makes sense.. That said, I understand how siblings would work, not in a literal sense, since members of a parish often call each other "Brother Tom", "Sister Mary", but I just don't hear it. My money is still on flippants.

Last edited by beligerentfokker; 05-09-2006 at 10:22 PM..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #287
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
[URL=http://www.omgosh.com/siblings.mp3]If I listen for siblings, I hear siblings clearly. If I listen for flippants, I can hear flippants, but not with as much certainty. We'll just have to see. I'm sticking with siblings
When I listen for flippants, I hear flippants, when I listen for siblings, I still hear flippants... I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnart
While I am in agreement with that, we are talking about a song, in which the author has poetic license to use whatever word, whichever way they want, and given the context, flippant makes sense.. That said, I understand how siblings would work, not in a literal sense, since members of a parish often call each other "Brother Tom", "Sister Mary", but I just don't hear it. My money is still on flippants.

Last edited by beligerentfokker; 05-09-2006 at 10:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
CaseLogic
05-09-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-462
But enough about the collect of Judas.
Who could deny you were the one who eliminated
The idle piece of the divine

This little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me;
I'll let it shine to guide you safely on your way,
Your way home...
What do you guys think?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #288
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Who could deny you were the one who eliminated
The idle piece of the divine

This little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me;
Your way home...
What do you guys think?
OFFLINE |  
CaseLogic
05-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
She had 3 siblings, it could literally be siblings.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #289
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe... I guess we just have to wait and see on this one...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #290
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Maybe... I guess we just have to wait and see on this one...
OFFLINE |  
ParisD
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessDrone
Agreed, however I've often heard folks at various churches I've attended (prior to learning how to think for myself) refer to each other as brothers and sisters...To remind you of at least one Tool usage applicable to this point..."And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified **brothers** and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our **brothers**!" Can I get an amen?..."

So perhaps he's speaking in a manner less than gracious when referring to them as siblings.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #291
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Agreed, however I've often heard folks at various churches I've attended (prior to learning how to think for myself) refer to each other as brothers and sisters...To remind you of at least one Tool usage applicable to this point..."And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified **brothers** and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our **brothers**!" Can I get an amen?..."

So perhaps he's speaking in a manner less than gracious when referring to them as siblings.
OFFLINE |  
05-09-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Who could deny you were the one who illuminated
Your little piece of the divine?
This little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me
But enough about the collective Judas

Firstly, this just makes more sense. While Judas' character is still in debate: Did he truly betray Jesus, or did Jesus send him to turn him in? this line appears to use the former theory, as if to call those within the congregation the kind of people that would smile and kiss you on the cheek, then drive in the knife as your back is turned. The congregation is just one big collective Judas.

It really sounds as though the subject that's passed/past, is pluralized

This little light of mine, it gives your past unto me
I gonna let it shine to guide you safely on your way

Each line means essentially the same thing, just worded differently.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #292
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Who could deny you were the one who illuminated
Your little piece of the divine?
This little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me

Firstly, this just makes more sense. While Judas' character is still in debate: Did he truly betray Jesus, or did Jesus send him to turn him in? this line appears to use the former theory, as if to call those within the congregation the kind of people that would smile and kiss you on the cheek, then drive in the knife as your back is turned. The congregation is just one big collective Judas.

OFFLINE |  
H-462
05-09-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Okay, I agree that I did make some errors in my first interpretation. Listening to it more closely. he clearly says "I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out" instead of "God", as I said. I was also slightly off from "I'm gonna let it shine".

However, I still believe the parts you highlighted are as I said. First of all, there's the whole "collective" vs. "collect of" thing. While I'll concede it could very well be "collective Judas", and it would still be perfectly logical, I actually opt for the other. As anyone familiar with Christian doctrine should be aware, a collect is a short prayer. In this context, I see it as Maynard's tongue-in-cheek way of transitioning from his derision of the hypocritical "congregation" to a more sincere tribute to his mother. If the whole beginning of the song is a diatribe against the disingenuity of the "faithful" (as compared with somebody who embodied true faith, like his mother), it makes just as much sense to refer to it as the "collect of Judas", as in, a prayer of false faith. Slightly different than "collective Judas".

Upon another listen to the song, I also maintain that I hear the next line in question as "the gift you passed on to me". I see this Maynard's way of acknowledging that although he may not have seen eye to eye with his mother's dogmas, he considers her unwavering faith admirable, and that in itself is her "gift" to him.

Or, of course, I could be wrong. It's Tool, open to interpretation, right?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #293
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

Okay, I agree that I did make some errors in my first interpretation. Listening to it more closely. he clearly says "I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out" instead of "God", as I said. I was also slightly off from "I'm gonna let it shine".

However, I still believe the parts you highlighted are as I said. First of all, there's the whole "collective" vs. "collect of" thing. While I'll concede it could very well be "collective Judas", and it would still be perfectly logical, I actually opt for the other. As anyone familiar with Christian doctrine should be aware, a collect is a short prayer. In this context, I see it as Maynard's tongue-in-cheek way of transitioning from his derision of the hypocritical "congregation" to a more sincere tribute to his mother. If the whole beginning of the song is a diatribe against the disingenuity of the "faithful" (as compared with somebody who embodied true faith, like his mother), it makes just as much sense to refer to it as the "collect of Judas", as in, a prayer of false faith. Slightly different than "collective Judas".

Upon another listen to the song, I also maintain that I hear the next line in question as "the gift you passed on to me". I see this Maynard's way of acknowledging that although he may not have seen eye to eye with his mother's dogmas, he considers her unwavering faith admirable, and that in itself is her "gift" to him.

Or, of course, I could be wrong. It's Tool, open to interpretation, right?
OFFLINE |  
raskolnikov_22's Avatar raskolnikov_22
05-10-2006, 07:44 AM

In the lyrics section, this is posted:

What are they going to do when the rivers overrun
Other than tremble incessantly?
High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground.

I'm actually hearing:

High is the way, but our lies are upon the ground.

as in, the path is noble, but their hypocrisy will fail them. Only Marie was sincere and capable, and without her, they are lost.

If this has already been suggested, just let me know.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #294
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm actually hearing:

as in, the path is noble, but their hypocrisy will fail them. Only Marie was sincere and capable, and without her, they are lost.

OFFLINE |  
CaseLogic
05-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov_22

I'm actually hearing:

I hear that, too
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #295
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov_22

I'm actually hearing:

I hear that, too
OFFLINE |  
Mental_ward
05-10-2006, 02:15 PM

"High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground.
You [are / were] the light and the way, they'll only read about.
I only pray, [Heaven / God] knows when to lift you out.
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home."

After giving it a good listen, and knowing the way the man thinks, I believe (listen closely if you will...) the third line is:

"I only pray, I know when to lift you out."

One, because he starts the verse with a first place descriptor, and the man knows how to write (right).

also - if you read between the lines about the meaning of the song, you can see why it would be a first person scenario.

if this has been caught, my pardons - i have not read the posts and I am new to the board. Lurking is for allys not interesting boards...

Mental Ward
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #296
Level 1 - Lurker

You [are / were] the light and the way, they'll only read about.
I only pray, [Heaven / God] knows when to lift you out.

After giving it a good listen, and knowing the way the man thinks, I believe (listen closely if you will...) the third line is:

"I only pray, I know when to lift you out."

One, because he starts the verse with a first place descriptor, and the man knows how to write (right).

also - if you read between the lines about the meaning of the song, you can see why it would be a first person scenario.

if this has been caught, my pardons - i have not read the posts and I am new to the board. Lurking is for allys not interesting boards...

Mental Ward
OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
05-10-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't hear "I" at all, it sounds pretty clearly like heaven to me.

Quote:
One, because he starts the verse with a first place descriptor
I don't think he does, because "High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground" doesn't make any sense in the context of the rest of the verse. And why would he sing "on up off" the ground? It's so awkward.

"High is the way, but our eyes are all on (/upon) the ground." The way is high, noble, heavenly, but our eyes are not on these things; they're on temporal, earthly things. We're all so concerned about our earthly shit that we're not concerned about our spiritual path, as his mother was. This would fit well with "Right in Two," I might add: "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability/To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."
Old 05-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #297
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
One, because he starts the verse with a first place descriptor
I don't think he does, because "High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground" doesn't make any sense in the context of the rest of the verse. And why would he sing "on up off" the ground? It's so awkward.

"High is the way, but our eyes are all on (/upon) the ground." The way is high, noble, heavenly, but our eyes are not on these things; they're on temporal, earthly things. We're all so concerned about our earthly shit that we're not concerned about our spiritual path, as his mother was. This would fit well with "Right in Two," I might add: "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability/To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."
OFFLINE |  
mamajen
05-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:

That's pretty close to what I hear, but I hear "High is the way, but ALL eyes are upon the ground."
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #298
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

That's pretty close to what I hear, but I hear "High is the way, but ALL eyes are upon the ground."
OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
05-11-2006, 08:53 PM

I could see that, because he's criticizing the congregation, which doesn't include him. "All" wouldn't necessarily include himself.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #299
Level 7 - Loquacious

I could see that, because he's criticizing the congregation, which doesn't include him. "All" wouldn't necessarily include himself.
OFFLINE |  
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-14-2006, 10:19 PM

Wow, after reading through the lyrics thoroughly this time, I gained a whole new appreciation.

"Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one."

I never heard those first two lines properly. I guess that confirms the idea that Maynard isn't Christian, didn't share his mom's belief. He admits it there, but then makes it clear that his love for his mom was unconditional, and vice versa. What a beautiful song. Maynard is the man.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #300
Level 7 - Loquacious

Wow, after reading through the lyrics thoroughly this time, I gained a whole new appreciation.

"Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one."

I never heard those first two lines properly. I guess that confirms the idea that Maynard isn't Christian, didn't share his mom's belief. He admits it there, but then makes it clear that his love for his mom was unconditional, and vice versa. What a beautiful song. Maynard is the man.
OFFLINE |  
Wonko The Sane
05-14-2006, 11:39 PM

Often times when reading through threads I get the impulse to post something completely off-topic, totally irrelevent and absolutely innapropriate. But, I'm very busy and important and I just really don't have the time to be reading threads on fansite opinion forums making nonsensical posts. Know what I mean? Life is just to busy and hectic to take the time to act out such an odd and useless proclivity. Maybe when I'm older and I have more free time I live out this peculiar compulsion. My life is just to hectic now....I think I would like that though. I think I would like that very much.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #301
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Often times when reading through threads I get the impulse to post something completely off-topic, totally irrelevent and absolutely innapropriate. But, I'm very busy and important and I just really don't have the time to be reading threads on fansite opinion forums making nonsensical posts. Know what I mean? Life is just to busy and hectic to take the time to act out such an odd and useless proclivity. Maybe when I'm older and I have more free time I live out this peculiar compulsion. My life is just to hectic now....I think I would like that though. I think I would like that very much.
05-16-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fibber

and your interpretation of the 10000 days line is laughable. the current (and otherwise undisputed) interpretation makes total sense in the context of THIS song.. changing the lyrics so they make sense in the context of another song is just willfully dim-witted.
- okay, so fibbers is a word. I've learned something new, cool. I always rejoice in knowledge gained from my brothers and sisters. I wouldn't say my interpretation is laughable. I'd say my interpretation is my interpretation. You can either help-out and lend a hand and explain your opinion or be a douche.

"The current and otherwise undisputed interpretation" - this sentence is laughable - how can you say that without a shadow of a doubt that theres not some dude in New Mexico who doesn't have a computer, who bought the album who interprets it differently. Your sentence starts off like a wrestling announcer "the current and otherwise undisputed champion...". this sentence reeks of conformity and sounds nazi-esque to me.

The other line probably makes more sense, in your context. The context in which you agree to the "lyrics" thus far. I can see it from your perspective. and i percieve those lyrics to be what I said them to be. I didn't willfully change jack shit. it's not my lyrics to change. It's not my song to change. it may not be right. when the official lyrics are released, I will agree to them. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough"(this line goes more along w/the "God only knows when to lift you out" lyric - i know, i get it. the way i hear it - "10,000 days and the fire has woken up" goes more along w/the "your going home" lyric.

don't deny, don't accept
Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #302
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fibber

and your interpretation of the 10000 days line is laughable. the current (and otherwise undisputed) interpretation makes total sense in the context of THIS song.. changing the lyrics so they make sense in the context of another song is just willfully dim-witted.
- okay, so fibbers is a word. I've learned something new, cool. I always rejoice in knowledge gained from my brothers and sisters. I wouldn't say my interpretation is laughable. I'd say my interpretation is my interpretation. You can either help-out and lend a hand and explain your opinion or be a douche.

"The current and otherwise undisputed interpretation" - this sentence is laughable - how can you say that without a shadow of a doubt that theres not some dude in New Mexico who doesn't have a computer, who bought the album who interprets it differently. Your sentence starts off like a wrestling announcer "the current and otherwise undisputed champion...". this sentence reeks of conformity and sounds nazi-esque to me.

The other line probably makes more sense, in your context. The context in which you agree to the "lyrics" thus far. I can see it from your perspective. and i percieve those lyrics to be what I said them to be. I didn't willfully change jack shit. it's not my lyrics to change. It's not my song to change. it may not be right. when the official lyrics are released, I will agree to them. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough"(this line goes more along w/the "God only knows when to lift you out" lyric - i know, i get it. the way i hear it - "10,000 days and the fire has woken up" goes more along w/the "your going home" lyric.

don't deny, don't accept
OFFLINE |  
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM

it doesn't matter if somebody with no computer disagrees with it, the point is it's otherwise undisputed in this conversation. nobody else hears that line, because it's not the line.

and it's "heaven only knows when to lift you out." grow some fucking ears.

Last edited by bogsnarth; 05-17-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #303
john dough

it doesn't matter if somebody with no computer disagrees with it, the point is it's otherwise undisputed in this conversation. nobody else hears that line, because it's not the line.

and it's "heaven only knows when to lift you out." grow some fucking ears.

Last edited by bogsnarth; 05-17-2006 at 09:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  
wags's Avatar wags
05-17-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
and it's "heaven only knows when you lift you out." grow some fucking ears.

I'd say it's you who needs the ears. It's distinctly "heaven only knows when to lift you out". there's a distinct 't' sound.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #304
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
and it's "heaven only knows when you lift you out." grow some fucking ears.

I'd say it's you who needs the ears. It's distinctly "heaven only knows when to lift you out". there's a distinct 't' sound.
OFFLINE |  
05-17-2006, 09:59 PM

no, i just need better fingers.. that was a typo. :P
Old 05-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #305
john dough

05-18-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
very well then.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #306
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
very well then.
05-18-2006, 07:43 AM

"who could deny you were the one who illuminated
your little piece of the divine?"

that's what I hear.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #307
Level 2 - Poster

that's what I hear.
05-18-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient5602
This is also what I hear. Kind of 'you brightened your corner of existence' or something similar. Perhaps Maynard is 'her little piece'.

Last edited by wags; 05-18-2006 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #308
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient5602
This is also what I hear. Kind of 'you brightened your corner of existence' or something similar. Perhaps Maynard is 'her little piece'.

Last edited by wags; 05-18-2006 at 09:06 AM..
OFFLINE |  
jim39n's Avatar jim39n
05-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajen
yeah, that is what i hear as well, and what makes the most sense to me. people should be focused on things spiritual but instead they're all wrapped up in things like money and dogma.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #309
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajen
yeah, that is what i hear as well, and what makes the most sense to me. people should be focused on things spiritual but instead they're all wrapped up in things like money and dogma.
05-27-2006, 03:09 PM

OKay again I am going to post about these one set of lyrics.
This will be the last I talk of this on this forum because I keep getting bombarded w/hatred from stupid assholes who won't take the time to give me a chance. Even an utterance of a possibility. The slimest inkling of a new way of percieving something.

For some reason I keep hearing something other than what is posted.

I also understand that these lyrics are otherwise undisputed, and for some reason that seems baffling to me since everytime I hear these lyrics I here new things.

So please let me know of your opinion.

So far I've heard from a few people and clearly they all believe I am a complete and total dumbass.

After the " I pray that God(Heaven) knows when to lift you out"

I believe the next line is : "10,000 Days and the fire has woken up".

Everyone is in agreement that the line is "10,000 Days in the fire is long enough".

But I DON'T clearly here an FFFFFF sound(at the end of 'enough') I hear a PPPPPP at the end of the line, right before "you're going home....." That's why I'm not convinced.

To me, either set of lyrics makes sense, but to me, my interpretation fits better.

- let's analyze shall we.
1) the phrase "in the fire" - I've never really heard of the Earth refered to as the fire, but I can still see how "the fire" can have more than one meaning.
IE: The horrible shit that plagues us all on this plane, the materialism and everyone's fuckitry = the fire. wars and confusion and one's personal struggle and such = the fire
2) When I hear "the fire" I think of the fire or more specifically, the eternal light(flame) which burns inside all of us. "The fire waking up" - a return to God; the realization; meeting your maker

Woken?
the word "woken" is questionable. If the word is woken, it sounds like it begins w/an "L". My friends seem to think the line is "10,000 Days and the fire is long and up" which fits very well, but doesn't make alot of sense to me. The "w" in woken is not very strong.

But I respect their opinion and I'm totally cool w/it.
I'm totally cool w/yours as well.
Just don't be an ass about it, telling me I need Q-Tips and such. That kind of ignorance isn't necessary, especially on a Tool Opinion Forum. Simply tell me I'm crazy and go on about your day.

but please listen to the song and post your opinion.
don't post your opinion w/out listening to it w/these lyrics in mind.

I've heard the song many, many times. And I will surely here it more. All these lines fit to me and make sense in some way. Some lines you have to look for a deeper meaning. I think what I hear makes sense to me. Perhaps that doesn't apply to you, and thats not what you hear.

I guess we'll all have to wait for some clear sounding bootlegs when they hopefully start playing this song at shows or whenever Maynard gets free time from touring, spending time w/his family, and dealing w/his vineyard so he can post OFFICAL LYRICS.

thanks
-yourealizethis
Old 05-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #310
Level 3 - Talker

OKay again I am going to post about these one set of lyrics.
This will be the last I talk of this on this forum because I keep getting bombarded w/hatred from stupid assholes who won't take the time to give me a chance. Even an utterance of a possibility. The slimest inkling of a new way of percieving something.

For some reason I keep hearing something other than what is posted.

I also understand that these lyrics are otherwise undisputed, and for some reason that seems baffling to me since everytime I hear these lyrics I here new things.

So please let me know of your opinion.

So far I've heard from a few people and clearly they all believe I am a complete and total dumbass.

After the " I pray that God(Heaven) knows when to lift you out"

I believe the next line is : "10,000 Days and the fire has woken up".

Everyone is in agreement that the line is "10,000 Days in the fire is long enough".

But I DON'T clearly here an FFFFFF sound(at the end of 'enough') I hear a PPPPPP at the end of the line, right before "you're going home....." That's why I'm not convinced.

To me, either set of lyrics makes sense, but to me, my interpretation fits better.

- let's analyze shall we.
1) the phrase "in the fire" - I've never really heard of the Earth refered to as the fire, but I can still see how "the fire" can have more than one meaning.
IE: The horrible shit that plagues us all on this plane, the materialism and everyone's fuckitry = the fire. wars and confusion and one's personal struggle and such = the fire
2) When I hear "the fire" I think of the fire or more specifically, the eternal light(flame) which burns inside all of us. "The fire waking up" - a return to God; the realization; meeting your maker

Woken?
the word "woken" is questionable. If the word is woken, it sounds like it begins w/an "L". My friends seem to think the line is "10,000 Days and the fire is long and up" which fits very well, but doesn't make alot of sense to me. The "w" in woken is not very strong.

But I respect their opinion and I'm totally cool w/it.
I'm totally cool w/yours as well.
Just don't be an ass about it, telling me I need Q-Tips and such. That kind of ignorance isn't necessary, especially on a Tool Opinion Forum. Simply tell me I'm crazy and go on about your day.

but please listen to the song and post your opinion.
don't post your opinion w/out listening to it w/these lyrics in mind.

I've heard the song many, many times. And I will surely here it more. All these lines fit to me and make sense in some way. Some lines you have to look for a deeper meaning. I think what I hear makes sense to me. Perhaps that doesn't apply to you, and thats not what you hear.

I guess we'll all have to wait for some clear sounding bootlegs when they hopefully start playing this song at shows or whenever Maynard gets free time from touring, spending time w/his family, and dealing w/his vineyard so he can post OFFICAL LYRICS.

thanks
-yourealizethis
OFFLINE |  
crimble
05-28-2006, 02:33 AM

So, then, alright now...
It's time for us to let you go.

^^^^^^^Sorry^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by crimble; 05-28-2006 at 02:35 AM..
Old 05-28-2006, 02:33 AM   #311
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

So, then, alright now...
It's time for us to let you go.

^^^^^^^Sorry^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by crimble; 05-28-2006 at 02:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
LAGEAR1
05-31-2006, 12:02 PM

Please change ignorant FIBBERS to

Ignorant FLIPPANTS (lacking proper respect or seriousness) in the congregation
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #312
Level 1 - Lurker

Please change ignorant FIBBERS to

Ignorant FLIPPANTS (lacking proper respect or seriousness) in the congregation
OFFLINE |  
CaseLogic
05-31-2006, 12:10 PM

Oh my god its not flippants, that's not proper use of the word.

I'll bet you 100 e-dollars that it's siblings. If you listen closely to the song you can hear it, especially the second part of the word, "blings"..

...take off your "flippant" hat and listen with an open mind

Last edited by CaseLogic; 05-31-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #313
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh my god its not flippants, that's not proper use of the word.

I'll bet you 100 e-dollars that it's siblings. If you listen closely to the song you can hear it, especially the second part of the word, "blings"..

...take off your "flippant" hat and listen with an open mind

Last edited by CaseLogic; 05-31-2006 at 12:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Here's my opinion for what its worth. Sounds to me like ...

Who could deny you were the one who illuminated...
... your little piece of the divine.

Makes more sense lyrically I think, and its what I hear.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 AM   #314
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
What do you guys think?

06-02-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb

It makes more sense, but I hear a strong 'i' sound, like in eye or idle. "Little" doesn't really have that strong i
Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #315
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb

It makes more sense, but I hear a strong 'i' sound, like in eye or idle. "Little" doesn't really have that strong i
OFFLINE |  
tojameswithlove48682's Avatar tojameswithlove48682
06-03-2006, 09:52 PM

Listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero.
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
How we rise to the height of our halo.

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior,
Feigning all the trials and the tribulations;
None of us have actually been there.
Not like you.

Ignorant fibbers in the congregation
Gather around spewing sympathy,
Spare me.
None of them can even hold a candle up to you.
Blinded by choices, hypocrites won't [see].

But, enough about the collective Judas.
Who could deny you were the one who
[would have made it]
You'll have a piece of the divine.

And this little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me;
Your way home ...

Oh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?

You [were] the light and the way, they'll only read about.
I only pray, [Heaven] knows when to lift you out.
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

Give me my wings!

You are the light and way, that they will only read about.

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance,
Burden of proof tossed upon the believers.
You were the witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one.

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your Maker's face tonight,
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #316
Level 1 - Lurker

Listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero.
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
How we rise to the height of our halo.

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior,
Feigning all the trials and the tribulations;
None of us have actually been there.
Not like you.

Ignorant fibbers in the congregation
Gather around spewing sympathy,
Spare me.
None of them can even hold a candle up to you.
Blinded by choices, hypocrites won't [see].

But, enough about the collective Judas.
[would have made it]
You'll have a piece of the divine.

And this little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me;
Your way home ...

Oh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?

Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

Give me my wings!

You are the light and way, that they will only read about.

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance,
Burden of proof tossed upon the believers.
You were the witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one.

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your Maker's face tonight,
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home.
OFFLINE |  
Identity
06-03-2006, 09:59 PM

Illuminated the idle piece of the divine.
High as a wave, but our lies are up on the ground.

Last edited by Identity; 06-03-2006 at 10:07 PM..
Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #317
Level 4 - Thinker

Illuminated the idle piece of the divine.
High as a wave, but our lies are up on the ground.

Last edited by Identity; 06-03-2006 at 10:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Bad Mike
06-05-2006, 08:35 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if someone's already gotten this suggested edit:

"Ignorant fibbers in the congregation" - Ignorant SIBLINGS in the congregation

edit - ok, now I've read it all - I throw my hat vehemently into the "Siblings" ring. Other than that, what's here looks pretty good.

Frankly, I could care less if we've got them 100%, as long as we get the message. That being said, by the gods, this band can do no wrong...

Last edited by Bad Mike; 06-05-2006 at 08:53 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #318
Level 1 - Lurker

Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if someone's already gotten this suggested edit:

edit - ok, now I've read it all - I throw my hat vehemently into the "Siblings" ring. Other than that, what's here looks pretty good.

Frankly, I could care less if we've got them 100%, as long as we get the message. That being said, by the gods, this band can do no wrong...

Last edited by Bad Mike; 06-05-2006 at 08:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Jizzlobber
06-06-2006, 06:30 AM

i am hearing

i only pray lord knows when you lift you out.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #319
Level 4 - Thinker

i am hearing

i only pray lord knows when you lift you out.
OFFLINE |  
CaseLogic
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike

Thank you! I've been looking for more support for "siblings" - those damn people and their "flippant" theory =P
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #320
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike

Thank you! I've been looking for more support for "siblings" - those damn people and their "flippant" theory =P
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply