Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Nov 24 Salt Lake City, UT E Center

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
emericus's Avatar emericus
11-25-2007, 11:34 AM

This discussion has been locked until just a little while ago- so nobody could post until now.

Setlist: Don't have it, but pretty much the same.

Overall: SLC seems to be the land of extremes. The mountains vs. the valley. The mormons vs. the occultists. The summer heat vs. the winter cold. The moshers vs. the sit and do nothings.

The sound at the E Center sucked and had to be screwing with the band somewhat. The energy sucked where I was at (section 120) and seemed to suck in most of the seated areas. The crowd really bothered me. Maynard said a few things but I couldn't understand a word. He held up some signs, and I think they were an 8 & a 9. I was straight, as usual. I took my neice and enjoyed seeing her see Tool for the first time, so that was good. No comparison to the Winston-Salem, NC show at all. So glad I got that one.

To Tool,
I grabbed hold of my ass but still didn't go anywhere. Sorry if it wasn't that good for you either. Don't play there again. I still think you are the greatest band out there and always appreciate your efforts. Hope you get some R & R and better crowds at the rest of the semi-west-coast shows. Come back to WS, NC. We'll take good care of yall there. Best to you all.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 47
Re: Nov 24 Salt Lake City, UT E Center

This discussion has been locked until just a little while ago- so nobody could post until now.

Overall: SLC seems to be the land of extremes. The mountains vs. the valley. The mormons vs. the occultists. The summer heat vs. the winter cold. The moshers vs. the sit and do nothings.

The sound at the E Center sucked and had to be screwing with the band somewhat. The energy sucked where I was at (section 120) and seemed to suck in most of the seated areas. The crowd really bothered me. Maynard said a few things but I couldn't understand a word. He held up some signs, and I think they were an 8 & a 9. I was straight, as usual. I took my neice and enjoyed seeing her see Tool for the first time, so that was good. No comparison to the Winston-Salem, NC show at all. So glad I got that one.

To Tool,
I grabbed hold of my ass but still didn't go anywhere. Sorry if it wasn't that good for you either. Don't play there again. I still think you are the greatest band out there and always appreciate your efforts. Hope you get some R & R and better crowds at the rest of the semi-west-coast shows. Come back to WS, NC. We'll take good care of yall there. Best to you all.
11-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Same set as the other shows. The sound was great. A little disappointing to see a mosh pit during Wings/10,000 days and really annoying to hear a very loud person behind me yelling "I'm so fucked up! I can't believe they played fuckin Floods!" during all of Wings/10,000 days (yes, he kept saying "floods"). Jumped up and had my finger tips on one of the drum heads Danny threw into the crowd. Unfortunately my wife tried to help me by jumping at the same time and only got in the way causing me to lose it. Yes, I fully blame her!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Same set as the other shows. The sound was great. A little disappointing to see a mosh pit during Wings/10,000 days and really annoying to hear a very loud person behind me yelling "I'm so fucked up! I can't believe they played fuckin Floods!" during all of Wings/10,000 days (yes, he kept saying "floods"). Jumped up and had my finger tips on one of the drum heads Danny threw into the crowd. Unfortunately my wife tried to help me by jumping at the same time and only got in the way causing me to lose it. Yes, I fully blame her!
OFFLINE |  
Staples
11-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Ok, here's my review

It was a good concert, BUT...
I've been to three concerts now and every time it's been the exact same thing. The sound levels are AWFUL! I think TOOL needs to hire some new sound engineers. I've been an avid Tool fan since the Undertow album came out and to this day, they're my favorite, just about the only thing I listen to. And when a fan as big as I am leaves the concert DISAPPOINTED because he couldn't even hear Maynard sing, something has to be done! This time around I took my neighbor and my wife, both of which aren't big Tool fans, but went along just because they thought it would be fun. Afterwards, they told me that they didn't like it just because the sound levels were so bad. It was just noise. People familiar with tools songs, like me, didn't have such a hard time with it. For example, twice now I've heard the extended version of Schism and Stinkfist, and still don't really know what it sounds like. When they play it, its just so loud that I cant pick out the guitar riffs between the noise from the drums and the bass. The first two concerts I went to, it was bad, but bearable, but this one was just disappointing. I was way excited to hear Wings for Marie and 10,000 days, but when it came around to it, I couldn't even hear him sing, the only way I could follow along with the song is because I know how the drums go, so I'd pick out the different symbol patterns he was playing, I would recognize what part of the song it was, and I found myself singing the lyrics in my head because I couldn't hear him....

Anyway, enough complaining about the sound levels. Near the end of the concert, it actually got better and we could hear him sing. They actually got the sound levels perfectly on Vicarious, but unfortunately it was the last song of the night.

I liked the fact that Trans Am only played for like 25 minutes, it was great! Back on the Lateralus tour when Mashugga opened for them, I swear they were on the stage for over an hour which was awful.

The set list was the exact same as all the others. Flood was awesome! Loved the visuals. As always, TOOL puts on a great laser show. I remember reading another poster from a different concert mention that they heard the drum part to the beginning of Third Eye, I did too! I heard it and I thought, nah, it's too good to be true... and it was...

Some jackass got really drunk and started beating a girl and screaming at her during 10,000 days, so she went and got the police and he ran, so that kind of distracted from the performance. I think they need to limit alcohol purchases cause EVERY one I've been to so far gets interupted or disturbed at some point during the show by someone who's drunk off their ass and creating a scene. I personally didn't pay $50 to just go get drunk and act like a jack ass and not even watch the concert cause I'm raising hell with every person that walks by. Jerk offs

Maynardisms (and these are not even going to be close to exact quotes)
He started by saying "Hey SLC, whats new?"
Followed by stuff I couldn't understand cause it was too loud
"This is the part of the show where you grab your buttocks, sit down, and enjoy the ride"
Before lateralus: "Now you can release your buttocks, and grab your neighbor. But don't rape them. Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, then it's.... kinky."
Then he ended by saying "Peace Out"
He said some other funny stuff, but I can't remember anymore...

The drum off between Danny and the Trans Am drummer was classic, I loved it.

And thats about it.

Last edited by Staples; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok, here's my review

It was a good concert, BUT...
I've been to three concerts now and every time it's been the exact same thing. The sound levels are AWFUL! I think TOOL needs to hire some new sound engineers. I've been an avid Tool fan since the Undertow album came out and to this day, they're my favorite, just about the only thing I listen to. And when a fan as big as I am leaves the concert DISAPPOINTED because he couldn't even hear Maynard sing, something has to be done! This time around I took my neighbor and my wife, both of which aren't big Tool fans, but went along just because they thought it would be fun. Afterwards, they told me that they didn't like it just because the sound levels were so bad. It was just noise. People familiar with tools songs, like me, didn't have such a hard time with it. For example, twice now I've heard the extended version of Schism and Stinkfist, and still don't really know what it sounds like. When they play it, its just so loud that I cant pick out the guitar riffs between the noise from the drums and the bass. The first two concerts I went to, it was bad, but bearable, but this one was just disappointing. I was way excited to hear Wings for Marie and 10,000 days, but when it came around to it, I couldn't even hear him sing, the only way I could follow along with the song is because I know how the drums go, so I'd pick out the different symbol patterns he was playing, I would recognize what part of the song it was, and I found myself singing the lyrics in my head because I couldn't hear him....

Anyway, enough complaining about the sound levels. Near the end of the concert, it actually got better and we could hear him sing. They actually got the sound levels perfectly on Vicarious, but unfortunately it was the last song of the night.

I liked the fact that Trans Am only played for like 25 minutes, it was great! Back on the Lateralus tour when Mashugga opened for them, I swear they were on the stage for over an hour which was awful.

The set list was the exact same as all the others. Flood was awesome! Loved the visuals. As always, TOOL puts on a great laser show. I remember reading another poster from a different concert mention that they heard the drum part to the beginning of Third Eye, I did too! I heard it and I thought, nah, it's too good to be true... and it was...

Some jackass got really drunk and started beating a girl and screaming at her during 10,000 days, so she went and got the police and he ran, so that kind of distracted from the performance. I think they need to limit alcohol purchases cause EVERY one I've been to so far gets interupted or disturbed at some point during the show by someone who's drunk off their ass and creating a scene. I personally didn't pay $50 to just go get drunk and act like a jack ass and not even watch the concert cause I'm raising hell with every person that walks by. Jerk offs

Maynardisms (and these are not even going to be close to exact quotes)
He started by saying "Hey SLC, whats new?"
Followed by stuff I couldn't understand cause it was too loud
"This is the part of the show where you grab your buttocks, sit down, and enjoy the ride"
Before lateralus: "Now you can release your buttocks, and grab your neighbor. But don't rape them. Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, then it's.... kinky."
Then he ended by saying "Peace Out"
He said some other funny stuff, but I can't remember anymore...

The drum off between Danny and the Trans Am drummer was classic, I loved it.

And thats about it.

Last edited by Staples; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
zstalker's Avatar zstalker
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Third Tool show.

exact same setlist as the last six shows:

Jambi
(-) ions (briefly, with maynard saying hi)
Stinkfist
Forty-six 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
intermission of sorts, with a shot from the 'Vicarious' video on the screens
Wings for Marie-->
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with TransAm drummer)
Vicarious

My review of the show: I was at last year's SLC show, same venue, and I really thought it (last year's) was kinda lame...for a Tool show at least. But this show was actually really incredible. The sound levels were kinda ok, kinda aweful on some parts, but really good, for the venue. I really hate seeing shows in arenas made for sports. were there drunk people and yuppies who just came to do something on a Saturday night? yes, but whatever, screw-em.
Was it a cookie-cutter setlist? yes, but if that's what it takes to get that kind of performance, so be it. All four members were right-on, almost no slip-ups, very "into" the performance. Maynard (and the others) seemed to bee in a good mood, and I really think it helped.
I was thrilled to head Flood, and good gracious, it was freaking incredible...it was everything it could have been. That's one of the masterpeice songs I've really wanted to hear played live...worth it, totally worth it.
Stinkfist and Forty-six & 2 were both incredible...not specifically notable on their own, but really excellently played and made for great material to hear live.
The double-time portion of Schism was really awesome; perfectly complimented the song in a new way. I'm always happy to hear little additions and modifications to already great songs.
Wings for Marie -> 10,000 days was great to hear (not played last time), and being right after the intermission made for a great segue back into music. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.
Lateralus with the extended middle was awesome. That TransAm drummer can seriously play...keeping right up with Danny and all. They made a perfect (quite extensively) extended interlude to the song, the wrapped it all back up with the rest of the song...pretty sweet.
I was really happy to see many more video screens than last year: the same row of shorter screens behind Danny and Maynard, now with the two larger screens to the sides, one massive one behind it all, and even a white stage floor with films and designs projected down onto it. I really feel like that much more visual material made for a much more intense experience. With the dropping of the 10,000 days backdrop, it all made for quite a visual treat, and by the end of Vicarious, with lights, films, designs, the huge backdrop, and lasers going everywhere, it all made for a furious, tremendous, almost overwhelming finish to an amazing show.
Certainly much better than last year, and I almost am tempted to say it's my favorite Tool show yet, only prevented by the high pedastal I hold my first show on (Coachella '99, following Rage Against the Machine). My friend I took to this concert loved it, and it was his first Tool concert, I'm really glad he could see this one.
~Erik~

Last edited by zstalker; 11-25-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Third Tool show.

exact same setlist as the last six shows:

Jambi
(-) ions (briefly, with maynard saying hi)
Stinkfist
Forty-six 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
intermission of sorts, with a shot from the 'Vicarious' video on the screens
Wings for Marie-->
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with TransAm drummer)
Vicarious

My review of the show: I was at last year's SLC show, same venue, and I really thought it (last year's) was kinda lame...for a Tool show at least. But this show was actually really incredible. The sound levels were kinda ok, kinda aweful on some parts, but really good, for the venue. I really hate seeing shows in arenas made for sports. were there drunk people and yuppies who just came to do something on a Saturday night? yes, but whatever, screw-em.
Was it a cookie-cutter setlist? yes, but if that's what it takes to get that kind of performance, so be it. All four members were right-on, almost no slip-ups, very "into" the performance. Maynard (and the others) seemed to bee in a good mood, and I really think it helped.
I was thrilled to head Flood, and good gracious, it was freaking incredible...it was everything it could have been. That's one of the masterpeice songs I've really wanted to hear played live...worth it, totally worth it.
Stinkfist and Forty-six & 2 were both incredible...not specifically notable on their own, but really excellently played and made for great material to hear live.
The double-time portion of Schism was really awesome; perfectly complimented the song in a new way. I'm always happy to hear little additions and modifications to already great songs.
Wings for Marie -> 10,000 days was great to hear (not played last time), and being right after the intermission made for a great segue back into music. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.
Lateralus with the extended middle was awesome. That TransAm drummer can seriously play...keeping right up with Danny and all. They made a perfect (quite extensively) extended interlude to the song, the wrapped it all back up with the rest of the song...pretty sweet.
I was really happy to see many more video screens than last year: the same row of shorter screens behind Danny and Maynard, now with the two larger screens to the sides, one massive one behind it all, and even a white stage floor with films and designs projected down onto it. I really feel like that much more visual material made for a much more intense experience. With the dropping of the 10,000 days backdrop, it all made for quite a visual treat, and by the end of Vicarious, with lights, films, designs, the huge backdrop, and lasers going everywhere, it all made for a furious, tremendous, almost overwhelming finish to an amazing show.
Certainly much better than last year, and I almost am tempted to say it's my favorite Tool show yet, only prevented by the high pedastal I hold my first show on (Coachella '99, following Rage Against the Machine). My friend I took to this concert loved it, and it was his first Tool concert, I'm really glad he could see this one.
~Erik~

Last edited by zstalker; 11-25-2007 at 08:31 PM..
OFFLINE |  
hellen
11-25-2007, 12:11 PM

my 4th and probably last tool concert. i was disappointed with this show. Lights and guitar and drum playing were great but even though i'm getting used to the idea of not seeing maynard very well i would like to be able to hear him. i had to listen very hard to try to tell if he was even singing. if he is going to have his mike set so low he could just stay home. when people knew the words there was a big audience sing along which really sucked. lots of screaming drunk people splashing beer.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

my 4th and probably last tool concert. i was disappointed with this show. Lights and guitar and drum playing were great but even though i'm getting used to the idea of not seeing maynard very well i would like to be able to hear him. i had to listen very hard to try to tell if he was even singing. if he is going to have his mike set so low he could just stay home. when people knew the words there was a big audience sing along which really sucked. lots of screaming drunk people splashing beer.
OFFLINE |  
Sprry75's Avatar Sprry75
11-25-2007, 12:12 PM

FOAD, emericus, and eat shit all the way back to NC.

I thought it was a great show. I was in section 113, and the crowd was fantastic. It was my fifth time seeing them, and I'm glad they came through "Salt...Lake... City..." again, as I was a bit unimpressed with the August 29, 2006 show. Wings 1&2 live were phenomenal, and the laser show/interlude preceding Wings was really cool

Jambi's a great opener; Flood sounded great live (never really liked that song until last night), and Rosetta Stoned was absolutely killer. I like that song on the CD, but live, it opens up so much more. The entire band seemed in great spirits. There was much more interaction this time than any of the other times I've seen them. People who have seen multiple shows on this tour have bitched about the setlist, bit it's SOOO much better than what they played last time (although I would've liked to hear "The Pot" again), I loved it. All around, a solid 9/10.

That's my third time seeing them at the E Center (fifth overall), once was for the July Lateralus show, and I had GA and was about five feet from the stage security trench, and the sound was awesome, if deafening. The next was last year's August show, and I was row 22 on the floor. That sound then was a little muggy. This time, I was up on Adam's side on row 17, and the sound was incredible. There were times that Maynard's voice was a little drowned out by the music at its loudest. I think that with the E Center, like a lot of larger venues, the sound is different depending on where you are.

A few of the comments I remember...

"Salt...Lake...City...it's been awhile."

"I don't know how many of you know, but it's national jerk your neighbor off week, so...."

"Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. Then I guess it'd be funny." That might have been "kinky," though, as someone else posted.

Maynard was mic'd a bit low, but that's a minor complaint. Plus I got there late and missed Trans Am, but that's noone's fault but the babysitter's.

I got some pretty decent pictures, I'll post them tomorrow.

I agree that the stage set up for this show killed the August 2006 show. I was on the floor then, and until the lasers came up, I couldn't see anything. This time, I was elevated, and in addition to the four screens behind the band, there were two giant screens on either side displaying the projections, plus a backdrop that went all the way up.

Last edited by Sprry75; 11-25-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

FOAD, emericus, and eat shit all the way back to NC.

I thought it was a great show. I was in section 113, and the crowd was fantastic. It was my fifth time seeing them, and I'm glad they came through "Salt...Lake... City..." again, as I was a bit unimpressed with the August 29, 2006 show. Wings 1&2 live were phenomenal, and the laser show/interlude preceding Wings was really cool

Jambi's a great opener; Flood sounded great live (never really liked that song until last night), and Rosetta Stoned was absolutely killer. I like that song on the CD, but live, it opens up so much more. The entire band seemed in great spirits. There was much more interaction this time than any of the other times I've seen them. People who have seen multiple shows on this tour have bitched about the setlist, bit it's SOOO much better than what they played last time (although I would've liked to hear "The Pot" again), I loved it. All around, a solid 9/10.

That's my third time seeing them at the E Center (fifth overall), once was for the July Lateralus show, and I had GA and was about five feet from the stage security trench, and the sound was awesome, if deafening. The next was last year's August show, and I was row 22 on the floor. That sound then was a little muggy. This time, I was up on Adam's side on row 17, and the sound was incredible. There were times that Maynard's voice was a little drowned out by the music at its loudest. I think that with the E Center, like a lot of larger venues, the sound is different depending on where you are.

A few of the comments I remember...

"Salt...Lake...City...it's been awhile."

"I don't know how many of you know, but it's national jerk your neighbor off week, so...."

"Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. Then I guess it'd be funny." That might have been "kinky," though, as someone else posted.

Maynard was mic'd a bit low, but that's a minor complaint. Plus I got there late and missed Trans Am, but that's noone's fault but the babysitter's.

I got some pretty decent pictures, I'll post them tomorrow.

I agree that the stage set up for this show killed the August 2006 show. I was on the floor then, and until the lasers came up, I couldn't see anything. This time, I was elevated, and in addition to the four screens behind the band, there were two giant screens on either side displaying the projections, plus a backdrop that went all the way up.

Last edited by Sprry75; 11-25-2007 at 07:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
marcus76
11-25-2007, 01:59 PM

overall no surprises, same set list as everywhere else. Really cool stage, cool light show, and visuals. Overall I would have to say it was probably the worse tool show I have been too, having saying that they are still the best live band out right now! this was my 5th show, and is it just me, or can you really not even hear maynard anymore, my wife made the point that the first time we saw them (on the lateralus tour) maynard's voice gave her the chill's, is his voice just spent or what???? p.s. the drum solo in lateralus is one of the sickest things ive seen!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

overall no surprises, same set list as everywhere else. Really cool stage, cool light show, and visuals. Overall I would have to say it was probably the worse tool show I have been too, having saying that they are still the best live band out right now! this was my 5th show, and is it just me, or can you really not even hear maynard anymore, my wife made the point that the first time we saw them (on the lateralus tour) maynard's voice gave her the chill's, is his voice just spent or what???? p.s. the drum solo in lateralus is one of the sickest things ive seen!!!
OFFLINE |  
marcus76
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM

hellen I must have been sat near you, there were so many drunk retards at this show I couldnt even believe it, at one point the two guys in front of us were slapping each other in the face.......idiots
Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

hellen I must have been sat near you, there were so many drunk retards at this show I couldnt even believe it, at one point the two guys in front of us were slapping each other in the face.......idiots
OFFLINE |  
liecheatnsteal
11-25-2007, 02:30 PM

Wow, what a bunch of negative posts! Was I at the same show? Emericus, go back to NC. The 8&9 were the score cards for Danny and Transam drummer after the drum off during Lateralus. Get it? This was my 8th show, and by far the best one of the 3 10000 day shows I've been to. I might say we are spoiled Tool fans in SLC: it is hard to top the SLC show we got with the B side Pushit, No Quarter, and that No lies (title?) song, which you all know as the salival CD. However, last night was great and the band was really into it. Flood was absolutely amazing! Good to have GA again. Maynardisms are accurate, I might add he said "great to see you again" at the end. Also, MJK spent tons of time after the last song throwing stuff to the crowd as opposed to him walking off abruptly after last years SLC show. I agree that his vocals are down in the mix, but I just moved over to get in front of the speaker stack and could hear him fine (which sucks if you were not in GA). In fact, his voice sounded as strong as ever to me! It was good to see MJK in good spirits, for Danny, Justin and Adam always seem chill to me. THANK YOU GUYS FOR SUCH A GREAT TIME!!! Till we meet again...

Last edited by liecheatnsteal; 11-25-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow, what a bunch of negative posts! Was I at the same show? Emericus, go back to NC. The 8&9 were the score cards for Danny and Transam drummer after the drum off during Lateralus. Get it? This was my 8th show, and by far the best one of the 3 10000 day shows I've been to. I might say we are spoiled Tool fans in SLC: it is hard to top the SLC show we got with the B side Pushit, No Quarter, and that No lies (title?) song, which you all know as the salival CD. However, last night was great and the band was really into it. Flood was absolutely amazing! Good to have GA again. Maynardisms are accurate, I might add he said "great to see you again" at the end. Also, MJK spent tons of time after the last song throwing stuff to the crowd as opposed to him walking off abruptly after last years SLC show. I agree that his vocals are down in the mix, but I just moved over to get in front of the speaker stack and could hear him fine (which sucks if you were not in GA). In fact, his voice sounded as strong as ever to me! It was good to see MJK in good spirits, for Danny, Justin and Adam always seem chill to me. THANK YOU GUYS FOR SUCH A GREAT TIME!!! Till we meet again...

Last edited by liecheatnsteal; 11-25-2007 at 02:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
11-25-2007, 05:25 PM

This was my second show (last one the SLC show last year). I think this one was better, and worse than the last. I thought that the first several songs were very muddled. Jambi sounded pretty shitty from where I was sitting, and I couldn't hear Maynard at all until about Schism. Those first songs of the show I thought were a lot better last year. However, From Schism on I thought the show was great. It seemed as if the sound engineers finally got the sound worked out, and the show sounded great. Lateralus was most definitely the highlight for me, that was awesome. The Wings duo was quite good as well, no complaints for Vicarious. Flood was fun as well. Rosetta Stoned was good, though I wish that it had been substituted for something else... I would have liked to have hear Right In Two. I'd say the first part of the show was about a 6-7/10, the rest would get a 9.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

This was my second show (last one the SLC show last year). I think this one was better, and worse than the last. I thought that the first several songs were very muddled. Jambi sounded pretty shitty from where I was sitting, and I couldn't hear Maynard at all until about Schism. Those first songs of the show I thought were a lot better last year. However, From Schism on I thought the show was great. It seemed as if the sound engineers finally got the sound worked out, and the show sounded great. Lateralus was most definitely the highlight for me, that was awesome. The Wings duo was quite good as well, no complaints for Vicarious. Flood was fun as well. Rosetta Stoned was good, though I wish that it had been substituted for something else... I would have liked to have hear Right In Two. I'd say the first part of the show was about a 6-7/10, the rest would get a 9.
11-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liecheatnsteal View Post
Wow, what a bunch of negative posts! Was I at the same show? Emericus, go back to NC.

OK LCnS-
I'm on my way and I'm taking Maynard with me!!!
Just kidding.
I'm still glad I went. I've been watching Tool since 1993 so you can imagine the difference in shows I've seen. If one is to rate all the shows they've ever seen, obviously one will come last. Sorry it has to be one that you really enjoyed. Of course we all have different experiences at shows and it makes me happy to know that there were people that could hear Maynard, but I couldn't. It does not change my view of the band, the music, or the fans; all of which mean the world to me.

Peace Out
Emericus

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:36 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by liecheatnsteal View Post
Wow, what a bunch of negative posts! Was I at the same show? Emericus, go back to NC.

OK LCnS-
I'm on my way and I'm taking Maynard with me!!!
Just kidding.
I'm still glad I went. I've been watching Tool since 1993 so you can imagine the difference in shows I've seen. If one is to rate all the shows they've ever seen, obviously one will come last. Sorry it has to be one that you really enjoyed. Of course we all have different experiences at shows and it makes me happy to know that there were people that could hear Maynard, but I couldn't. It does not change my view of the band, the music, or the fans; all of which mean the world to me.

Peace Out
Emericus

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
T00LFAN121's Avatar T00LFAN121
11-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericus View Post

To Tool,

Dude, I was in 120, and I thought the energy was fantastic! There were a few people sitting down, but I still thought the concert was bad ass. This was my second TOOL concert, and definately, better than my first. The setlist is as follows:
1. Jambi
2. (-) Ions (Maynard greets Salt Lake City and "chats" with the crowd)
3. Stinkfist (extended)
4. Forty-Six & 2
5. Schism (extended, double-time)
6. Rosetta Stoned (No Lost Keys)
7. Flood
-Intermission (Laser show with the new "Vicarious" shot)-
8. Wings for Marie pt. 1
9. 10,000 Days Wings pt. 2
10. Lateralus (drum-off w/TransAm drummer)
11. Vicarious

I will agree with the previous quotes, at times it was hard to hear Maynard, but it was not the venue's fault. I saw TOOL the last time they came to the E-Center, and the sound quality was great. From Schism on, the sound quality did get a lot better.
One cool thing that did happen to my friends and I is that when we arrived at the show at 5 'o clock, we immediately ran in to buy our merchandise. As soon as we walked in, we heard a lot of reverb coming from the other side of the walls. I thought that these were just "techies" tuning TOOL's stuff, but then I heard them start to play Stinkfist!!! We got to hear Stinkfist before the show even started, and there was only a handful of lucky witnesses there. I cannot believe how great Maynard sounds live!!! As always, the light show, and the band, was AMAZING!!!

Last edited by T00LFAN121; 11-26-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericus View Post

To Tool,

Dude, I was in 120, and I thought the energy was fantastic! There were a few people sitting down, but I still thought the concert was bad ass. This was my second TOOL concert, and definately, better than my first. The setlist is as follows:
1. Jambi
2. (-) Ions (Maynard greets Salt Lake City and "chats" with the crowd)
3. Stinkfist (extended)
4. Forty-Six & 2
5. Schism (extended, double-time)
6. Rosetta Stoned (No Lost Keys)
7. Flood
-Intermission (Laser show with the new "Vicarious" shot)-
8. Wings for Marie pt. 1
9. 10,000 Days Wings pt. 2
10. Lateralus (drum-off w/TransAm drummer)
11. Vicarious

I will agree with the previous quotes, at times it was hard to hear Maynard, but it was not the venue's fault. I saw TOOL the last time they came to the E-Center, and the sound quality was great. From Schism on, the sound quality did get a lot better.
One cool thing that did happen to my friends and I is that when we arrived at the show at 5 'o clock, we immediately ran in to buy our merchandise. As soon as we walked in, we heard a lot of reverb coming from the other side of the walls. I thought that these were just "techies" tuning TOOL's stuff, but then I heard them start to play Stinkfist!!! We got to hear Stinkfist before the show even started, and there was only a handful of lucky witnesses there. I cannot believe how great Maynard sounds live!!! As always, the light show, and the band, was AMAZING!!!

Last edited by T00LFAN121; 11-26-2007 at 12:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
spiral_down
11-26-2007, 02:21 AM

Maybe all the negative comments are coming from having shitty seating. I was sitting in section 102 and let me tell you........the sound was great. TOOL as always, put on a awesome show. Maynard was really into the crowd more this time....no knuckleheads in the fronts. Did anyone see Gins Tids???? She the was fat one running up portal C with no shirt on. Anyway, Great show and thanks for for coming back to SLC.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Maybe all the negative comments are coming from having shitty seating. I was sitting in section 102 and let me tell you........the sound was great. TOOL as always, put on a awesome show. Maynard was really into the crowd more this time....no knuckleheads in the fronts. Did anyone see Gins Tids???? She the was fat one running up portal C with no shirt on. Anyway, Great show and thanks for for coming back to SLC.
OFFLINE |  
calumny's Avatar calumny
11-26-2007, 07:57 AM

"hold on to your buttocks, we're in for a long ride.."

i was in section 101. i was above adam, and saw the stage from the side. visuals were superb. maynard was inaudible at times, but i could make out what he was doing. i thought he was triggering a sample of his voice during wings/10000 days, though. couldn't see the mic, could only see him hunched over the keyboard.

adam plays a virus. last time it was a moog.

i drank beer, and was drunk. hateme.
i didnt even sit in my assigned seat. :D
Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"hold on to your buttocks, we're in for a long ride.."

i was in section 101. i was above adam, and saw the stage from the side. visuals were superb. maynard was inaudible at times, but i could make out what he was doing. i thought he was triggering a sample of his voice during wings/10000 days, though. couldn't see the mic, could only see him hunched over the keyboard.

adam plays a virus. last time it was a moog.

i drank beer, and was drunk. hateme.
i didnt even sit in my assigned seat. :D
OFFLINE |  
Sprry75's Avatar Sprry75
11-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
could you elaborate on this? esp. the "new 'Vicarious' shot" part
If you caught the still on the official site posted on Nov. 2, it was the same image projected up on the screens (the back of a head looking up at the sun), but it was animated so that the flames around the sun flickered.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
could you elaborate on this? esp. the "new 'Vicarious' shot" part
If you caught the still on the official site posted on Nov. 2, it was the same image projected up on the screens (the back of a head looking up at the sun), but it was animated so that the flames around the sun flickered.
11-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_down View Post
Maybe all the negative comments are coming from having shitty seating. I was sitting in section 102 and let me tell you........the sound was great.
I was in lower section 102 as well, and i agree that the sound was amazing. I saw them at the Pearl and remember perhaps the sound being a bit better, but this was actually my favorite tool show that i've been to. the band seemed more into the music than i have ever seen them be. Schism and Lateralus were both amazing. The vocals could have been a bit louder, but i think it helped to focus a bit more on the instrumentals instead of the lyrics, which is nice to have live. i was happy with the set list and am always happy with any chance to see these guys live. i could feel the positive energy filling the arena more so than i have at past shows.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #17

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_down View Post
Maybe all the negative comments are coming from having shitty seating. I was sitting in section 102 and let me tell you........the sound was great.
I was in lower section 102 as well, and i agree that the sound was amazing. I saw them at the Pearl and remember perhaps the sound being a bit better, but this was actually my favorite tool show that i've been to. the band seemed more into the music than i have ever seen them be. Schism and Lateralus were both amazing. The vocals could have been a bit louder, but i think it helped to focus a bit more on the instrumentals instead of the lyrics, which is nice to have live. i was happy with the set list and am always happy with any chance to see these guys live. i could feel the positive energy filling the arena more so than i have at past shows.
OFFLINE |  
ivie
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM

The salt lake city show was sick. We were front and center on the floor the cwowd was awsome, pit hosiptalty was at its best. The first half of the show was HOT !!!! Songs off 10,000 days a little hard to understand. Over all loved the show will see them next time !!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

The salt lake city show was sick. We were front and center on the floor the cwowd was awsome, pit hosiptalty was at its best. The first half of the show was HOT !!!! Songs off 10,000 days a little hard to understand. Over all loved the show will see them next time !!!!
OFFLINE |  
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivie View Post
Was this your first show?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivie View Post
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM

The only real "treat" for me was Flood - it sounded GREAT live. Yeah yeah I know Wings/10,000 Days are really special and personal for Maynard but they're a bore when played live and I wish they'd leave them off the setlist. The overall sound quality was horrible. Maynard is the best in the business and it was a shame not being able to hear that voice of his. Unless you were very familiar with Tool's music, you were lost.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

The only real "treat" for me was Flood - it sounded GREAT live. Yeah yeah I know Wings/10,000 Days are really special and personal for Maynard but they're a bore when played live and I wish they'd leave them off the setlist. The overall sound quality was horrible. Maynard is the best in the business and it was a shame not being able to hear that voice of his. Unless you were very familiar with Tool's music, you were lost.
OFFLINE |  
ivie
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger View Post
Yeah this was my first tool show, but I did see a perfect circle when they were at the Saltair. I could hear the first half of the show great. But from where I was on the floor, I lost his voice in the music during the second half, when they started in on 10,000 Days and Lateralus. All in all this was freakin awsome, they rock, and I will definitly go when they come back. Also the crowd on the floor where I was, was awsome as well.

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:35 AM..
Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger View Post
Yeah this was my first tool show, but I did see a perfect circle when they were at the Saltair. I could hear the first half of the show great. But from where I was on the floor, I lost his voice in the music during the second half, when they started in on 10,000 Days and Lateralus. All in all this was freakin awsome, they rock, and I will definitly go when they come back. Also the crowd on the floor where I was, was awsome as well.

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
gimmemoremoab
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Great show from the band, if only the drunken chorus behind me could stop their blasted singing. To whoever they were - honestly people I came to hear Maynard sing, you all suck and I don't want to hear you so please stop yelling all the lyrics.
Of course that has been my complaint at every tool show. I always seem to get seated by the guy who thinks he is in the shower and belts out the whole thing as loud as possible. Drives me insane.

At least they shutup for my favorite part of Lateralus.

Visuals were the best of any show I've seen yet. Especially enjoyed the fire spotlight and the flood graphics.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show from the band, if only the drunken chorus behind me could stop their blasted singing. To whoever they were - honestly people I came to hear Maynard sing, you all suck and I don't want to hear you so please stop yelling all the lyrics.
Of course that has been my complaint at every tool show. I always seem to get seated by the guy who thinks he is in the shower and belts out the whole thing as loud as possible. Drives me insane.

At least they shutup for my favorite part of Lateralus.

Visuals were the best of any show I've seen yet. Especially enjoyed the fire spotlight and the flood graphics.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply