opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

My first Tool gig and god, the lengths I went to get my gold ticket. When I checked out the seating chart for the bowl, I was still worried I'd be miles away. After spending one hour in the queue for gate 1, I was blown away when I saw how close I was to the stage (Row S).

I figured they'd be checking for cameras, so I stuffed my phone down my bra and they were none the wiser. Got about 20 good shots of the show, even after one of the security guards forced me to delete a picture he'd seen me take. Clown.

I'd read on here that people get annoyed about others singing. I'm not sure if the sound was different at BDO, as I wasn't there, but I was singing my lungs out last night and I couldn't hear myself, let alone the guy next to me who was also singing.

Forty Six & 2 sounded incredible live. I agree with previous posters, Justin was so into the show, he was sweating and playing so hard. It was a joy to watch him in action.

Highlights for me were the alterations to Schism, 10,000 Days and Lateralus. I've never been a huge fan of Lateralus, even though it's a Tool standby, but it sounded phenomonal! So heavy and crisp...good sound all over last night. Rosetta Stoned is my favourite track of 10,000 Days but oddly, it wasn't the best track of the night I thought. Still, the visuals were sensational.

Still, I felt the setlist was shorter than previous shows and I was not happy about missing out on The Pot and Swamp Song/Opiate. I'd read they'd played those tracks elsewhere and was hanging out for some Opiate/Undertow.

Also, did anyone else feel that Maynard was having a bad night? I saw him a few years ago with APC and he was chatty all night, cracking jokes, connecting with the crowd. He said two words last night and then he could not get off that stage fast enough. Was nice to see the other guys hanging back and feeling the crowd's gratitude, smiling and staying with us a bit longer.

Fingers crossed for shows later this year and some ye olde Tool tracks.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

Venue sucked. I was very let down. The band was great, there's no denying that. But on the hill (and later in the walkway where we could ACTUALLY SEE) it just felt like watching from a distance as opposed to being absorbed by the experience.

I brought my sister, and the only thing she saw was the back of everyone's shirts until I took her across to one of the walkways to get a clear view of the band. On the hill, she literally could not see the stage, and she's not that short either.

Vibe of the crowd sucked. There was a lukewarm response to most songs. I don't get why people didn't just sit down, which is what you're supposed to do at SMMB. People weren't even moshing or anything so what was the point of standing? After a while, the heels of my feet went numb from the angle the hill is on.

I'm guessing that the show the gold section experienced compared with general admission was very, very different.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Was a really good show. Hard to fault really. Was an audio/visual feast. We were mid lawn in the middle and had a great view, didnt seem too far back. I was quite suprised by the sound quality, could hear nard perfectly. The dude on the roof was pretty funny, poor bastard missed half the show tho, dumb arse...

I agree the crowd was a bit, quiet. Didn't feel like everyone was as pumped as I'd expect. Weird sorta vibe I guess.

I had to laugh when the chick I was with said Nard had chopped off all his hair, then a dude said it was tied back. lolz

My biggest dissapointment was that this was my first Tool concert. Seems a shame that I "might never" get to see songs like Pushit, parabol/a performed live. Would have liked to see a Danny solo like they described in the Syd reviews.

Also was it just me or was (-) Ions in the setlist too?????
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome performance, crappy venue. I was about a metre behind the barrier, on the grass, and when that idiot got up on the roof, everyone started gawking, pointing, laughing and talking, which really detracted from Wings/10000, which would otherwise have been the highlight of the show for me.

I can't fault the band, they were fantastic. Plenty of energy, although Maynard did seem a bit down; even if he isn't as chatty in Tool as he is in APC, there was a definite change in his energy from the Lateralus shows in '01/02. Adam and Justin were both right into it and very enjoyable to watch. Danny was brilliant as always; my drumming idol.

Honestly I can't pick a favourite song, I love the whole lot. Lamented the lack of The Pot and Undertow-era stuff though.

The sound was perfect, in contrast to the wall of white noise that characterises the Big Day Out's giant speaker stacks. Snare drum sounded good, and the guitar sound was exceptional.

The support band had a good sound, even if a number of people around me made a number of comments relating to the band's heredity, appearance and odour.

The crowd was good, not too much pushing; although during one song a bunch of people around me started swaying from side to side, which got very old and very frustrating very quickly.

Lighting was also a highlight (pardon the pun), with some truly inspired choices during solos etc. Kudos to the lighting team. Visuals were awesome as well.

My only real complaint is the venue. The lawn is not quite slanted enough, which meant that I had a hard time seeing the band at 5'11" while my friend who is considerably shorter saw practically nothing aside from the odd green glow extending overhead.

All in all, a great performance from a band that continues to amaze and inspire me; and a choice of venue that was perhaps not ideal. Given the constraints the promoters would have had to deal (Rod Laver being booked out etc) I suppose it's the logical choice, but that doesn't really help with my enjoyment of the gig.

The lasers were pretty cool too :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

What's all this talk about moshing? I've never seeing anybody physically able to mosh at a Tool concert, the time signatures dont really cater to it. The other Tool shows I've been too the crowd usually jump around for the first minute of the song (usually for Stinkfist, Prisonsex, Aenima and Parabola) before realising they don't know how to do it and they just stand there looking in awe. Or is that just my experience?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

I wondered how the show was going to work at the 'Bowl' but I was quite surprised that it did! It was well worth the extra $10 for the gold tix! We were in row Q, but as soon as they came on, we rushed to the front and were two back from the barrier and pretty much in front of Adam! Fucking Amazing!

I hadn't actually seen them since they toured for Aenema and they just blew my mind again! Disappointed that there was nothing from Undertow (as looking at set lists for other shows, they performed Swamp Song, so I was eagerly anticipating that one) though, I still loved it. But with them being the fucking best mucisians in their own right, the set was spot on and I forgave them!

What was the go when they just collected and sat on the stage?? Loved it, but WTF???

The crowd were so well behaved, to my surprise (all except for the drunk fool that looks like the okka guy from Getaway accosting me) and there were not many people up at the barrier, so there was plenty of room to mimic Maynard's interpretive dance moves (love it!).

So enough of my awestruck rambling, bring on December - Maynard we're holding you to it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S.H View Post
What's all this talk about moshing? I've never seeing anybody physically able to mosh at a Tool concert, the time signatures dont really cater to it. The other Tool shows I've been too the crowd usually jump around for the first minute of the song (usually for Stinkfist, Prisonsex, Aenima and Parabola) before realising they don't know how to do it and they just stand there looking in awe. Or is that just my experience?
Dude, totally agree! You just can't mosh to them! Everyone around me got into it in their own special way - a bit of head thrashing, fist pumping, standing with their arms crossed and they all loved it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

WOW... . . . . THAT WAS COSMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. so emotional. .. . left me stuck in infinity...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Another note......why is everyone complaining about not being able to see??? If you were in general admission at a venue like Rod Laver or Festival Hall, you can't see anyway! I was in general at Festival and I could hardly see though the 6-foot-everything guys around me! Being 5'9", I generally have issues seeing the band at gigs - it's the experience. It's feeling the bass, the drums, the guitar and the vocals when you are at a gig!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

To all the vertically challenged: sometimes it helps just to tap the tall guy in front of you on the shoulder and ask. I mean, I'm 6'4, and if there's someone stuck behind me I'll happily let them stand in front. I won't let anyone just saunter through and push me back but if it's obvious someone can't see and would be able to if they could just get in front of me I'll let them.

I still can't believe how fucking incredible that show was.

EDIT: Add another voice to the thank christ there wasn't any moshing...I could just stand there, thrash my head around and appreciate the genius without having to worry about elbows in kidneys and neck injuries from crowd surfing (thats when you shorties are lucky...I always seem to cop it bad). Moshing is only good at shows like Trivium, where it manages to distract you from the music...

Last edited by FearNLoathing; 01-31-2007 at 07:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Here's my two sense:

First time I have seen Tool live, been a fan since late 90s.

Wow. Oh man.

I've seen countless bands in pubs, at festivals, standalone shows etc. I guess it has allot to do with how much I love the band, but it is without a doubt the best live music experience I have ever had. We had seats in row J, and I can say that I was standing and throwing my arms around all show (except when roasting a doobie!). Incredible. It blew my expectations right out of the water. The two lads in in the row in front of me were as into it as I was, we were in that connected by music zone- awesome. The security was a bit harsh, some guard came across and yelled at my mate for taking video, he was so fucking angry, I felt like telling him to fuck off and stop ruining the vibe, but knew what that would result it. Got over it quick as though, back into the music, foot stomping and arms flailing.

When they burst into Aenima was the highlight for me. Everyone singing along, on the same wavelength, awesome. And I love how sarcastic Maynard is when saying that the gig was dandy. It's almost as if he is humble about what the band has given people. The huddle at the end was the greatest ending to a show I've seen ever. They are about the four of them, being together making music, and if people can relate to it and enjoy it, great but not necessary.

Absolutely incredible, glad whoever else was there shared it with me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #52
the
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma View Post
I don't get why people didn't just sit down, which is what you're supposed to do at SMMB.
i was right at the front of the GA section, and the barrier wasn't see through, thus i had to stand up. and since i had to stand up the people behind me had to stand up as well, and so on ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooltay View Post
Another note......why is everyone complaining about not being able to see??? If you were in general admission at a venue like Rod Laver or Festival Hall, you can't see anyway! I was in general at Festival and I could hardly see though the 6-foot-everything guys around me! Being 5'9", I generally have issues seeing the band at gigs - it's the experience. It's feeling the bass, the drums, the guitar and the vocals when you are at a gig!
You can see FAR more in GA at Rod Laver if the GA goes right to the front like it has before. If the stage is higher than you you can't not see once you get within a reasonable distance from the stage.

SMMB was unique in that even tall people could often see NOTHING AT ALL. I went to some sort of festival there maybe 8 years ago (can't remember what the hell it was) and it worked great because the GA area went right to the front of the stage - ie/ the bulk of the ppl in GA were looking UP at the stage - but if you're trying to look down at a stage that is lower than the ppl at the front like it was on the hill there's literally no chance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by (t)hick View Post
Maynard = Lil John ??
hah yeah I caught that.

the gardens there are bloody confusing at night, i remember going to Moonlight Cinema and somehow getting lost.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

First time ever seeing TOOL live, and they definately put on a flawless performance. I have never seen a band who reproduce their sound live with such flawless surgical precision. They hit it perfectly in all the right spots. Opening with Stinkfist was a fantastic choice, you could feel the world lurch as the first heavy notes were struck. The Wings/10,000 Days combo i think was the defining moment of the show, the setting they were in and the laser show really leant itself to such an atmospheric couple of songs. Having said all that though, i think you could have fared better by having seating, or just being closer. the sound didnt seem to really penetrate you like it should have, and the crowd where i was, on the hill, didnt seem to ever fully get into it. But having said that, i thought they were great!

p.s. Do all TOOL shows only go for an hour and a half? i thought it was a bit brief. What do you guys think?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Well that was the best live show Ive seen since the last time i saw Tool at the Tennis Centre.
The sound was awesome and the band were tighter than a pair of mermaid’s pants.

In the past ive heard alot of people complain that Tool play a very similar set list most places they play. I believe that the complexities of the music require so much precision and timing, that it takes a very long time to master, what I heard last night were the fruits of their efforts and It was amazing.
I did however think Maynard vocals was a bit flat at times but I suppose when you play that many gigs its very hard to keep your voice tip top on a consistent basis.
Im also very grateful I got seating, but I think when they tour in November that the Tennis Centre might be a fairer venue for them to play.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought it was fucking amazing.

I was the first one into the whole venue, so although I was originally disappointed at getting only a silver ticket, I got a spot right in the middle right against the barrier. The view was perfect for the lighting, perfect for sound, every thing was just amazing.

And I had a few awesome people around me too which enhanced my experience. I wasn't 'squished', i was perfectly comfortable, and very happy with the show, although I felt it seemed too short, and that we missed out on some songs that would have been great to get.

I thought the guy on the roof was stupid and annoying, I only looked up a couple of times but I felt like it still look away from the experience I could have had during wings.

chaos95, were you in the middle of the lawn? seeing you were a metre back I might have spoken to you/seen you...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 3rd tool show 2 from the Lateralus tour & 1 from last night. Awesome show. I have uploaded some photos from the show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concertphotos/
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show, but i'm glad i went to the Sydney concert to see all the lighting effects coz i couldn't see shit (sucks being 5'4").

A big 'L' goes out to the fuck wit who climed the top of the music bowl.

As i said before, awesome show, but i think Maynard's voice was straining a bit at the start... to be expected, 6th show they've done in about 2 weeks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

i got into tool mid 03, so this is the first chance i got to see them.

WOW.

i was pretty pissed off when i missed out on tickets (my friend got through, and was about to confirm when his phone cut out). but i managed to buy one at the gig (and not from a scalper too).

best gig i've ever been to.

i was a fair way back in GA, but i managed to get a decent view. i found myself staring at them open mouthed, just mesmerised in the middle of the set...esp during wings, so much that i didnt notice the guy on the roof.

highlight was def lateralus, being my favourite tool song, but i woulda like to see some undertow stuff, like 4 degrees, or swamp song. oh well...

awesome night
awesome sound
awesome visuals
awesome
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show once again!

I can't wait til they come back at years end and PLEASE dont let it be at the music bowl again, the venue is shyte! For the lucky people who got seating tickets or who could actually get into town early enough to avoid the 2km long line to get in, I'm sure your view and aural experience was sensational. But for those who couldnt do the above, standing so far back, on a slope that was not designed to be stood on, unable to see, freezing cold and having a slightly distorted sound, things could have been a WHOLE lot better.

Still, it was Tool, and I was just lucky to be there at all.

The fuckwit who climbed the roof, you should have jumped, save people from wasting their time looking at you and taking their focus off of the music. As my mate said to people around us 'shut up about the guy on the roof, in case you haven't noticed, theres a Tool gig on in front of us.'

And if people want to sing along, why not? They've paid their $100 just like you. It just means they are enjopying themselves, and thats what its all about.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Pour moi, 4th time. A teensy bit of a let down (compared to the first
two times I saw them which included Prison, Pushit, 4 degrees, Undertow,
Flood, etc etc). BDO actually I thought was a better list. Lost
Keys/Rosetta was 15 minutes I do not ever want to re-live. Seriously, in
that time which is around 15 minutes, we could have had Pushit plus
another song perhaps Intolerance, Prison Sex, Crawl Away, Undertow, 4
degrees, Flood, H, Eulogy, the list goes on...Opiate?

I'm not quite sure the shows are the same without the dirty, heavy songs
prevalent on Undertow and Opiate. Sweat or Hush or Cold and Ugly would
be nice for a change - this is what made the BDO so good, Swamp Song and
Sober. Sure, people will say, "but fk, man, it's Tool!!!!!", but I
think it pays to remember these guys are a rock band and are putting on
a show and we shouldn't just be blind to objectivity because "it's Tool
man,m farkkkkk!!!!oneoneshift1111".

Although the drum bit in Schism is very good, I've now heard this song 4
times, and I personally think it needs a break (again, that's just my
opinion). Same goes for Stink, 46&2, Lateralus and Aenima...I wonder if
the band performing songs like Wings 1&2 and Lateralus take a little bit
of the meaning from them, both for the audience and band members (given
that these songs seem to mean a lot to people) - are they diminished in
importance for the band, in performing them all the time - do they
become pedestrian? (This is not a statement but a question). This is
what causes me to say it might be time to trot some left field choices
out - No Quarter would be good, I'm really keen to hear Third Eye (my
equal fave with Pushit), Hooker, H, Eulogy, Pushit, Crawl Away, Cold &
Ugly, Sweat, Hush etc etc. Third Eye would just be excellent and I think
The Patient works really well live, as does The Grudge (Flood/Grudge
opener is choice bro ay).

The two openers were very, very good, but after that, the atmosphere
seemed a tad subdued...? I was surprised by Jambi, it was good, although
I think the visuals (although part of the show) perhaps artificially
mask any inadequacies in the actual song? I loved the visuals and
"stage show" element, I think it's amazing work from Adam (and I think
Carmella?).

Personally, and this is just my opinion, the sound was pretty good, the
atmosphere was good, too many black Tool tshirts (that's a joke), I
thought the band was tight (I do not expect perfection in a live
performance ever, live = organic and natural). Yes there were venue
logistic horrors but that's all part of it. Doesn't seem so important
now.

I did like Wings 1/2, I do really like those two songs together, a lot.
And I was glad to hear them. I think Lateralus is a little pedestrian
now (Maynard seems to be just running through the motions sometimes
which goes to my comment before about diminished importance and
feeling), although I completely understand people who have not seen it
before, or heard it once, being wowed by it - totally understandable.
Apologies if I sound jaded - just saying some more left field choices,
and older stuff would really add and compliment the set...like heavy
start (Flood-Grudge into Sweat/Hush into Eulogy, etc etc), laid back
stuff like Wings in the middle, into a thrashing ending (eg Wings -
Opiate - Aenima - Pushit/Third Eye). We can all dream, I suppose, and
have a dream list.

Don't regret going though, was definitely worth it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferkensterker View Post
The fuckwit who climbed the roof, you should have jumped, save people from wasting their time looking at you and taking their focus off of the music. As my mate said to people around us 'shut up about the guy on the roof, in case you haven't noticed, theres a Tool gig on in front of us.'
I totally agree.

I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the security guard talking to me between songs about it (as I was at the very front). People around me were making comments, and all I said was 'Shut up, Tool is playing', and pointed at the stage.

I wasn't interested in one person doing something so stupid considering tool was playing, but I couldn't help but be distracted as I heard a lot of people around me talking about it.

I still can't get over Tool last night. Amazing to say the least.

Happiest day of my life, seriously.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 AM   #64
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

Tip top show. Was pleasantly surprised with the venue, sound was awesome for the most part, and i actually managed to get a good view for the first 9 songs. As soon as Stinkfist started the crowd to my left all pushed forward, leaving a nice open space for me to move into where i could see everything clearly for the majority of the time :).
Highlight for me was wings/10k despite that dickwad on the roof distracting me during it...cunt. Rosetta was prolly the lowlight, due mainly to the fact maynard was really struggling. He pretty much sounded like he was constipated in the mouth through alot of it. Adam massively fucked the second solo in Lateralus, but that was the only mistake that really stood out for the night. I was very pleased with the behaviour of the crowd, i don't believe there was a single dunce near me.
Was a bit worried during stinkfist when the screens weren't working, but that was fixed by jambi so that's all good, and the lightshow was motherfucking uber. Only thing that pissed me off was the lack of posters in the merch tent. I wanted a poster :(

All in all a very satisfying way to lose my tool virginity.

Also, today my mates mate met the band at the airport, and whilst getting danny and justins autographs, he was the victim of an attempted adam jones dacking. Ah, that crazy adam, always showing the fans how much he loves them.

Last edited by Rubb.; 02-01-2007 at 02:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #65
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

that was a phenomenal show. the fact that i went to bdo made sidney myer more special. I would've love to have heard disposition/reflection and something off opiate. but still.

How sick was the green visualization when maynard was doing "oh oh oh oh oh" during rosetta stoned?!!!!!!!! It was like a pond of soundwaves rippling outwards!!!! I think the reason the crowd was so quiet is because we were all torn between screaming like crazy and not wanting to interrupt them during songs.

amazing.

Last edited by Ardhanarishvara; 02-01-2007 at 01:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 AM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th TOOL show, and I think the first thing I noticed was that Maynard really wasn't too into it at all, he seemed to be skipping certain parts of songs or just kind of mumbling his way through parts that required him to really belt it out. I think it's fair enough really, some nights you feel it and others you don't. the set list was great, but the croud were really young and very annoying. Poeple holding Mobile Phones up during the set and blocking the view were terribly annoying, and the MORON who decided to scale the Music Bowl really interupted 10,000 days, a song which when played live really does require the croud to chill out and enjoy the piece as though you are watching a film, this was enhanced as the stage seemed to be shrouded in dry ice and dark projections. I must admit at being a little shocked at how distracted people were by something like that. Anywho, that was my little whinge, all in all I would say it was a good show but not great, and I think they have really improved the whole projection thing as well, and it will be good to see them again in nov/dec.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #67
Level 2 - Poster

I loved when the crowd errupted when Nard sang.

" Shake your fists at the gates saying.....
Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 AM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

The roar from the crowd at that point was because of the moron on the roof, though it did fit nicely with the climax of wings. Man i wanted that douche to fall..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

i have nothing wrong with people singing.... hell.... i think i probably was....
but given the closest speaker to GA is like 50m in front of the barrier, it sucks when you hear people singing LOUDER than the band.... its wrong!
and not becaus ethey were singing, but because the venue was awesome.

and at a normal venue, short people can still move toward the back of the room and see the band...
but shit when a few people back 6' plus people can't see, something is serisouly fucking wrong...

anyband but tool and i'd demand my money back....

tool themselves should be pissed, the venue tarnished an awesome show for those 13k of us that didnt get seats.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #70
Level 2 - Poster

Maynard's voice just isnt what it used to be - i remember the last show at rod laver and when he sang the first two lines of Flood i went coco bananas because his voice was so crisp and clear. The vocal range on 10000 Days isnt anywhere near as strong as the other albums. I think his voice is losing its strength with age unfortunately

This is not to take away from a magnificent show.

Similarly, i remember the first show of the lateralus tours when they did pushit and the climax was sung so well i screamed with joy.

I have never done that before and never done that since

BLISS!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

I can understand anyone dissapointed or really critical of the show as they usually pull off an imaculate set.. and think about it not very many bands at all can sound AS good or better live, than they do on the album. Especially vocalists but then I couldn't get fucked out AND do gigs 3 times a week and travel, and not have a nervous breakdown or have my body fail me.
So, I empathise and ask those who have a whinge about something as temperamental as the human body to send me a tape of something better and then I'll listen.

I did feel it was was below 100% output from the band.. but I also felt it was well below 100% input from the crowd, no one kept the lighters going when they had one cranking or screaming and going crazy between songs.. not alot more than the non optional clap at expected intervals.

The only time I heard a chant or some crazy energy going was when people were expecting an encore, but it quickly died out when they realised it wasn't going to happen..

Sydney was amazing because of the vibe and love you could feel in the room, everyone just grooving on the music and rocking out, as well as the awesome sound quality which was all encompassing.

Maybe it was partially a case of you get out what you put in?

All in all it was an experience.. unlike shit day out which I will try to block from my memory forever and will never, ever, ever, ever.. EVER.... go to again.

Cheap bastards with their cheap sound systems that kept cutting in and out, don't cut it for any non garage band even though the band (for the most part) were doing all the right things.. it was like having a cd playing in the next room and you swear you can hear something.. but your friend is playing shitty distorted loud techno next door.. so you're not really sure. That and the general population of bdo which I never want to be enclosed by three fences with ever again.

The lack of drinks wasn't so bad for me as I had more than long enough to drink and get a good buzz while I was waiting to get in.. And there was a couple of spliffs going around that were shared when asked (thanks heaps to anyone that donated to the cause!)

Oh and the guy on the roof did have bad timing, but it was amusing just like any random act of stupidity at a gig. Don't know why the fuck he got down before the end though, there was a whole lot of seco waiting that pounced on him and took him down with zeal.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardhanarishvara View Post
How sick was the green visualization when maynard was doing "oh oh oh oh oh" during rosetta stoned?!!!!!!!!
Yep fucking awesome all the visuals on that song. Makes you see the true meaning behind the song. I always thought it was just some nutter whos lost his mind, but it's really about an alien abduction???? I'm pretty sure. That was my highlight for the night fa sure.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreed View Post

Also was it just me or was (-) Ions in the setlist too?????
Yeah, dunno where it slotted into the list though. I took that as a chance to zone out and look around me...
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

It's interesting to read the differing opinions of this show. I thought it was great but then I wasn't in the main lawn area, which seems to be where most of the bad experiences were.
I do agree that Nard doesn't seem to be putting 100% effort into his vocals anymore.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

With all the complaints about Maynards voice, don't you think that they could've sorted that out at the mixing desk? I agree that they weren't as strong as is expected, but should we be giving laying it all on Maynard?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #76
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 255

Were some of you people even at this fucking show?

Maynard's voice sounded fantastic!!!

FFS, he's not 25 anymore- the overt need to scream, roar, and prove that they're a "metal" band is long gone.

Yes, there's stuff from Opiate/Undertow I'd give my left leg to hear, but I also appreciate that people grow and that those songs may not be where the band is at these days-whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or whatever.

As for claims of his "attitude" - HUH? Looked to me like he was having fun-and since I was pretty close (Jesus, I could see his friggin' yellow shoelaces), I really think it might just be a prob for those who ended up on the lawn.

Tool have a *lot* more fans than ever before- they spent 2 1/2 years touring Lateralus, and will no doubt spend a similar amount of time with 10,000 Days. If he is trying to conserve his voice, what's WRONG with that?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #77
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

I thought his voice was great, I just thought his mic was a bit low at times, and I noticed him signaling to get it turned up during Wings/10,000 days.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

i can imagine how the vibe on the lawn might have been a bit lacking, but everyone in the seats was loving it...

as for maynard not putting in 100%, i think the reality of the situation is that he's not as young as he used to be, he's had recent vocal troubles, and he's had to tone it down so that he can last the duration of an entire show, as well as the entire tour. it's probably why the sets aren't as long as they used to be, and why they stray away from the older material that requires more of a growl. people's voices naturally change with age. look at johnny cash, for instance. i wouldn't take that as an indicator of whether he was enjoying himself or not, he was just his usual self... and people expecting witty banter were always bound to be disappointed.

and i agree with the post a few up from this... he looked like he was having fun. probably hard to see from the lawn.

i have a feeling, and i may be wrong, that the people who complain about the lack of growl in the vocals and the lack of moshing are probably the same people who thought a good choice of support act would have been the butterfly effect or cog. make of that what you will.

Last edited by kungfuonion; 02-01-2007 at 09:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #79
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't think he sounded bad here, in fact this was the best show in my opinion - at Sydney BDO I thought he sounded pretty vocally tired and croaky for example - but compared to seeing them six months ago last August he's definitely toned it down, and I was surprised given that this leg of the tour is a) fairly short (8 shows here, 4 or so in Japan) and b) occurred after a decent break from touring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

Does anyone know who the support band was? I was on the hill and missed most of what they said.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: