opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/11/24 - Manchester, UK - Manchester Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/11/24 - Manchester, UK - Manchester Arena

absolutely superb. wings was phenomenal, as was aenema and lateralus. amazing show. amazing band.

setlist

stinkfist
46 & 2
jambi
schism
lost keys
rosetta stoned
the pot
wings/10,000 days
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

"fingers crossed, we'll see you in the summer"...

straight from the horses mouth. i'll be there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Amazing show, a big fuck off to the stewards though. What a pain in the arse they were.

10,000 days was mind blowing. Dunno why they do Rosetta Stoned though, dont rate that at all.

Very nice green lasers: http://tinyurl.com/yhoatn
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

i agree with rosetta stoned. i love the song but i really felt nothing with it tonight. it just seemed out of place and awkward. and yes, the stewards were a pain.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
curious george

Bincount™: 6546

Brilliant gig, the security did spoil some parts for me though. Having a flash light in your face really puts you off. The band played amazingly well though. I have no idea what you guys are talking about when it comes to Rosetta though. That song is amazing. Wings was deffinetely the highlight of the show though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 213

Fucking hell it was so amazing! i was lucky enough to be up against the barrier and in the dead centre!! :D i missed out on a lot of the laser show but it didnt matter as i was on a few feet away from the members!!
but also it was annoying having fat sweaty stuard standing right up against me flashin their torches into the crowd. They were really pissing everyone off...
first time id seen tool live and i deffinately will do again if they do come back next year like maynard said.
what was with maynards bright orange hoodie?? lol was pretty funny when everyone boo-ed justins chelsea shirt :P
Old 11-25-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah fantastic show. Mastodon were great live, although I don't like them on record that much. TOOL were great, although the energy sadly sagged at some points (e.g. on Rosetta) and the band seemed to be going through the motions.

Did anyone else see Justin lift his shirt up at the end to reveal a MCFC top, to which people gave a few humourous boos ?

Highlight was definitely Wings/ 10K, I'm not ashamed to admit I was filled with emotion during that and almost started cying ! What a big gay I am - must have been too much cider at the bar. MJK's brief chat ("Peace the fuck out") which lead into Jami was great as well.

The place was half empty though - sold out my arse. I think they would have been better off playing somewhere like the Apollo, but then I guess they wouldn't have had the lights. Those lasers were genius.

Roll on Nottingham next Friday ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 04:05 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Fantastic show - Crystal clear sound, great atmosphere and friendly crowd. And yes, the security policy for the evening just sucked - Being stood to the side of the main standing section I saw 3 lads be led by the shoulder and ejected from the venue, within the space of as many minutes, during "stinkfist" - Their crime? Well, the first lad simply asked "if it's not ok to film videoclips on a mobile, do they mind photos being taken instead?". For Christ's sake!! Poor guy was being considerate and polite at all times, and the tw@t of a bouncer turfed him out for talking back. His mate protested - He went out the fire exit seconds later.......

Sorry - The show.......
Despite the atmosphere being one of real paranoia due to the above, I managed to be blown away by Tool's performance. They're never less than top banana, are they? But, sorry - I also thought Rosetta Stone was overly slow, ploddy - and it bored be silly.

One thing that surprised me though, was that they have reverted back to using the older style 4-screen set-up instead of the full stage projection show, of the past few months. Any reason for this, anyone know?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MATTSAYERS/Tool%2024th%20Nov%2006/DSC00267.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MATTSAYERS/Tool%2024th%20Nov%2006/DSC00262.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MATTSAYERS/Tool%2024th%20Nov%2006/DSC00034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MATTSAYERS/Tool%2024th%20Nov%2006/DSC00032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/MATTSAYERS/Tool%2024th%20Nov%2006/DSC00024.jpg
Old 11-25-2006, 04:07 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

2nd time seeing them this year, and again they didnt fail to impress. Laturalus was the high point for me, amazing show. Only thing that pissed me off, as it did others, was the security putting a torch in your face. really pissed me off at points. But on the whole great show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

To Nice Guy Eddie......
That last pic you posted is the best one I've seen yet.

http://www.foolish-child.pwp.blueyon...l/DSC08217.JPG
Old 11-25-2006, 04:25 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedigreejoey View Post
To Nice Guy Eddie......
That last pic you posted is the best one I've seen yet.

http://www.foolish-child.pwp.blueyon...l/DSC08217.JPG
its a shame i didnt get Justin in any of them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 213

those pics are great. especially the last one as pedigree said. i only managed to get 2 pics of mastodon then the security started being arsey n wudnt let me take anymore.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

Great gig. Crowd surfers are twats. Security were ok if you weren't trying to take photos. I was right at the front between Maynard and Adam. Amazing gig but the Apollo in June was the one that's blown me away this year. 10,000 days was amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #15
Level Φ - sXe

Bincount™: 16

fucking awesome...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh yeah. Danny's shoe came off. Poor guy. Right in the middle of the Pot - Maynard asked him if his mother ever taught him how to tie them. Pretty funny watching them like that. Held it together so well - it looked staged!

Also, my brother caught the drumstick Danny threw out but it was dropped in the fighting for it - then security threw it further into the crowd.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #17
Bex
Level 1 - Lurker

Fantastic show as ever, and it was great to finally hear Wings/10K Days live! Absolutely phenomenal. And the lasers were rather cool too ;)

Those pictures are looking pretty good, kudos to you managing to get some when security were so tight! I saw plenty of people taking them though, and a guy next to me taking a lot of videos. At one point they sent security in to get him out but they walked right past him, lucky escape!! So hopefully we should be seeing lots more pictures from last night :)

Maynard seemed pretty chatty last night, or at least he spoke more than usual. Absolutely hilarious when he was telling Danny off for not fastening his shoes properly! I think it was during Rosetta Stoned, but I'm not sure... Also, did anyone notice what he sang instead of "Fuck L Ron Hubbard" in Aenima? I'm sure it was something different...

Anyway, I really can't fault the performance at all. Yes it would have been nice to hear something different, maybe some older songs, but I thought what they did play was more or less perfect anyway. It's still great to see them...

Only a couple of negative points though..

1) I prefer the smaller venues as someone said before. The place was less than half full, although like they said too we would have missed out on the light show at the Apollo. Perhaps we're all just too used to seeing them in tiny places here...

2) Two of the most idiotic childish smarmy little cunts ruining it for everyone at the front. I was stood about 2/3 rows back in front of Adam (where else?!?) and these two kids were just pissing everyone off. And of course, when anyone challenged them, they had an answer to EVERYTHING. It was not cool - lots of forcing and pushing in front of people, throwing themselves about and hurting other people. But of course they were just "having fun" like every moron who moshes like that is... I used to think moshing was cool when I was about 15 too, but you quickly learn it's not when you get an elbow in the face. On a positive note, I managed to stamp on one of the twats feet a few times, but I would have happily punched them both in the face had security not been there. Especially since one of them was a bit too "keen" with his hands at one point. Fuckers.

Anyway, rant over! Despite those two things the show was fantastic, visuals were great, music was spot on, Maynard was hilarious and Adam looks distinctly more edible with every show. Cheers!! :)

By the way does anyone have any idea of the Mastodon setlist? I was quite impressed by them!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 07:37 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I thought Maynard seemed pretty pissed off last night. Especially considering how little he spoke in the grand scheme of things (he spoke more at Download) and the fact that for most of the show he had his back to the audience.

It was still an awesome show though. Enjoyed every bit of it. I was on the barrier just in front of Adam (and that bloody bass amp...)
Old 11-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

They were amazing last night!

I was stood right at the front next to the barriers, i was stood in front of Dan's drum kit

I heard the security talking before they came on and they said the band were dead touchy about people taking photos so thats why they had to stop people so fast

i also thought it was funny when Justin kissed his Chelsea top and got a few boos
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
Thought id add some pictures, they came out a little bluy, but as you guys know, security was so tight.

http://www.foolish-child.pwp.blueyon...l/DSC08212.JPG
LOL You can see me on that picture - I'm the guy with the shaved head in the bottom left.

Great pictures dude.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Interesting that a few people agree with me about Rosetta lacking something last night.
I love the song on the album and it was great live when I saw them in London in June.
But something about it just wasn't right last night.

How good were those lasers ?
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

The lasers were great. It was hard to see from where is was standing but i've seen some photos since and they looked brilliant
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjlowid View Post
The lasers were great. It was hard to see from where is was standing but i've seen some photos since and they looked brilliant
I would have thought you'd have seen them wherever you were standing...they filled the entire arena!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

I was about 4 or 5 rows from the front barriers in front of Adam. When they were setting up I saw a roadie put down what I thought were setlists, but thinking about it they were the mirrors that the laser beams reflected from. Clever eh ?
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

http://stashbox.org/5753/tool-grp3-0502.jpg

Hey guys, new at this stuff..
I was dere yesterday and just one word to describe the gig-brilliant..
Mastodon were allright, never heared them before..
But then came on tool and what to say.. amazing set list (but do agree that there was something wrong with rosetta), but overall an anzaing gig.
I didn't see justin shirt cause i was in the seats on the left of the stage and maynard didn't really speak much.. but not comaplaining.

"Fingers crossed we will see you next year"

Looking forward to it now...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

1: The gig was the best gig I've been to.
2: There were some complete arseholes in the crowd, smokers and photo takers who seemed to want to do everything they could to turn this into a bad experience.
THE RULES WERE:
NO SMOKING.
NO PHOTO TAKING.
DON'T FUCKING COMPLAIN WHEN YOU GET A LIGHT SHONE IN YOUR FACE FOR BREAKING THE FUCKING RULES WHICH WERE CLEARLY POSTED ON THE DOORS TO THE BLOODY BUILDING, IDIOTS!
3: I hope the wanker with the studded bracelet who kept hitting me on the head with it enjoyed being shoved back and elbowed.
4: Rosetta Stoned kicked fucking arse, when they finished I yelled "PLAY IT AGAIN!"
5: Maynard's jacket was awesome.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #27
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

That was my first Tool show, and I thought they were amazing, 10,000 days especially.

I was about 5 or 6 rows infront of Maynard, but had a good view because I'm tall, (interesting to see that most of us were at the frount, I may have talked to one of you without realising it).

Some people have commented negativly about Rosetta Stoned, but I really loved it, more than the album version. 10,000 days of couse was the winner, except Lateralus.
As other people have said, the only annoying thing was the stewards shinging tauches people.

I thought Mastodon were quite good, although the crowd didn't respond much to the music.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

[QUOTE=Muladhara;1572819]

THE RULES WERE:
NO SMOKING.
NO PHOTO TAKING.
DON'T FUCKING COMPLAIN WHEN YOU GET A LIGHT SHONE IN YOUR FACE FOR BREAKING THE FUCKING RULES WHICH WERE CLEARLY POSTED ON THE DOORS TO THE BLOODY BUILDING, IDIOTS!

While your comments are valid, those rules are still Gay. If i'm paying 30 bones for a ticket, why the fuck can't i take a picture to remember it by? Additionally, I doubt that you'd get much more than the smell of cigarettes in a venue that size, People need to stop being so stupid about smoking. Someone smoking near you won't shave precious minutes off your life. And while people need to respect the fact you don't like smoking, You also have to respect the fact that some people do, And don't want to lose their place because the 'rules' said you can't toke a cig indoors.

As far as the show itself goes, i thought it was amazing. Had seating tickets 'cos i left it till the last minute, was still sweet though as i didnt have to deal with the stink of sweaty moshing kids and I saw the lasers projecting on the stage and through the whole arena. Every song was great, and even though I think ticks and leeches would have been better than rosetta, it still rocked.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

if the venue won't let you smoke indoors, then just don't do it. let's not forget half these "cigarettes" were filled with dope (unless my nose is fucking with my head), so it's not a "gay" rule. it WILL shave precious years off my life because i'll be the guy in the list for a new trachea in 40 years, but i'm not complaining or anything. the stewards ruined it for some people but i didn't get a torch in my face, nor did i get taken outside, so i can't have been doing anything wrong...
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

I said minutes, not years. You're more likely to be on the list for a new pharynx or larynx. Besides in 40 years, smoking will be competely illegal and cancer will be curable ( assuming the exponential rate of technological advance is equivelant to 10x that of the last 100 years ). As for the sheer mathmatical improbability of you having any replacement respiratory requirements solely from passive smoking is so small I would put money on it never happening.

Awesome gig anyway, I read a post somewhere else, a guy rassing the crowd, and Tool's performance saying it was lifeless cos they just stood still. I thought it was pretty epic to be honest, probably the best show I've ever been to, but these OGT types seem to think that newer tool fans are somehow less worthy. What does everyone else think of 10,000 days Tool compared to Ænima Tool?

# Who are you to Wave your Finger?#
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

To be honest I think a lot of the non-smoking thing was to do with the fact it's been bothering Maynard a lot as he was a bit poorly recently - hence him wearing a mask for a lot of the recent gigs, and a couple of the recentl European dates been cancelled. And we wouldn't want that happening any more now, would we?
Agree the photo thing is a bit OTT mind....
Old 11-26-2006, 04:38 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Some people were at the gig wearing contacts because they didn't want to risk their glasses bring smashed at the gig, smoke dries contacts out, makes their eyes sting. Personally, second hand smoke makes it hard for me to breathe as I have a slight problem at the back of my throat so I WILL get pissed off if people smoke near me and I'll happily inform the stewards of people smoking where there are rules to stop them doing it.

You are not allowed to take photos because both the band and the arena don't allow you to. If you want to take photos at a gig instead of just watching it, get a job as a fucking tour photographer then. The band want to keep control of their image and their sound, most bands do in fact, so either you just don't fucking do it or you get a light shone in your face and the rest of the crowd pissed off at you for getting their view blocked.

Just because you paid a lot of money to see them doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you want in the arena, there weren't any rules saying you couldn't piss on the floor, but how would you have liked standing in a pool of someone else's piss?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara View Post
Some people were at the gig wearing contacts because they didn't want to risk their glasses bring smashed at the gig, smoke dries contacts out, makes their eyes sting. Personally, second hand smoke makes it hard for me to breathe as I have a slight problem at the back of my throat so I WILL get pissed off if people smoke near me and I'll happily inform the stewards of people smoking where there are rules to stop them doing it.

You are not allowed to take photos because both the band and the arena don't allow you to. If you want to take photos at a gig instead of just watching it, get a job as a fucking tour photographer then. The band want to keep control of their image and their sound, most bands do in fact, so either you just don't fucking do it or you get a light shone in your face and the rest of the crowd pissed off at you for getting their view blocked.

Just because you paid a lot of money to see them doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you want in the arena, there weren't any rules saying you couldn't piss on the floor, but how would you have liked standing in a pool of someone else's piss?
GPWM.

Totally with you on the smoking as well - smoking ban best thing that's happened in Scotland in a long time! :-)
Old 11-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara View Post

your points are all valid. I hate people smoking at shows. But not to the point where id do anything. I heard the reason Tool dont allow smoking at their shows it that it fucks up maynards voice?

But yeah, i took a few snaps on my phone, didnt have a flash, so i cant see how it hurt anyone. here's a quote straight off tool armys FAQ:

Q: Does Maynard's decision on facing the crowd have anything to do with their behaviour? (The crowd's, that is.)

A: Maynard has oversensitive pupils. Some of you may have friends who suffer from a similar condition. Any change in light intensity, such as walking outdoors into bright sunlight from a dark room, makes them sneeze. No fun.
In addition, flash cameras are very distracting and make it difficult to connect with the audience. Try telling someone a personal story with them flashing a bright light in your eyes. Close to impossible.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Monk View Post
I would have thought you'd have seen them wherever you were standing...they filled the entire arena!
I did see the lasers at the front but they looked alot better from the back in the photos i've seen
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjlowid View Post
I did see the lasers at the front but they looked alot better from the back in the photos i've seen
Fair enough. In that case I agree. I was on the barrier and had to crane my neck to see them. Not that I'm complaining, I thoroughly enjoyed the show....
Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
your points are all valid. I hate people smoking at shows. But not to the point where id do anything. I heard the reason Tool dont allow smoking at their shows it that it fucks up maynards voice?

But yeah, i took a few snaps on my phone, didnt have a flash, so i cant see how it hurt anyone. here's a quote straight off tool armys FAQ:

Q: Does Maynard's decision on facing the crowd have anything to do with their behaviour? (The crowd's, that is.)

A: Maynard has oversensitive pupils. Some of you may have friends who suffer from a similar condition. Any change in light intensity, such as walking outdoors into bright sunlight from a dark room, makes them sneeze. No fun.
In addition, flash cameras are very distracting and make it difficult to connect with the audience. Try telling someone a personal story with them flashing a bright light in your eyes. Close to impossible.
I didn't know that about him, Al Jourgensen from Ministry has a similar thing.

Non-flash cameras are less annoying than flash ones but they're still not allowed and the band did request that no audio or visual recording equipment were to be used.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

Amazing gig .

I didn't have any probs with the security and managed to get away with smoking a couple of cigs . As soon as I entered the arena an amazingly overwhelming emotional atmosphere hit me and by the time we'd got near to the front with masterdon playing any thought of tool was making my eyes water . I thought the bar was a good plan as I didn't want to burst into tears half way through the gig so me and my brother hung around the bar area until masterdon had completed there set .

When tool arrived on stage I was a bit too knocked by the emotional intensity of the past hour to get into Stinkfist or Forty Six And 2 so another trip to the bar seemed needed . Myself and brother knocked around the back of the standing section trying to regain some confidence and a bit of strength .

As soon as I realized the tune that had just started was wings we found ourself a nice central position to fully enjoy the lazer show and by the end of wings I was in tears and proberly looked like a bit of a girl but fuck it :)

We spent the rest of the show right at the front near justin surrounded not by a crushing mass of people as I expected but an awe struck fairly well separated congregation. Anema came on and I decided to fight the tears no more and ended up semi crying semi singing .

Overall the most emotional experience since my grandma's last funeral.

Last edited by francisb233; 11-26-2006 at 11:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

how many funerals has your Grandma had?

Smoking guy behind me got an elbow in the face and I also pointed him out to security. Stupid did burnt me so I was a bit pissed at him.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobcam View Post
how many funerals has your Grandma had?
Shes always dying my grandma .....
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread