Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
El Scorcho's Avatar El Scorcho
04-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Am I the only one here who loves Tool and the new album without drugs? It seems like almost everyone here is on something. Here's a thread for those who appreciate 10,000 Days and Tool without foreign substances.

Flame me all you want, but I know there's a few of you out there like me. If there can be Tool + Drugs thread, this is necessary too.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
10,000 Days + No drugs

Am I the only one here who loves Tool and the new album without drugs? It seems like almost everyone here is on something. Here's a thread for those who appreciate 10,000 Days and Tool without foreign substances.

Flame me all you want, but I know there's a few of you out there like me. If there can be Tool + Drugs thread, this is necessary too.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-27-2006, 06:53 PM

I can't use drugs due to my occupation :)
I don't use drugs because of my choice
I love this album :)

So nope, your'e not alone. There was a discussion about this a while back. Turns out there are ALOT of Tool Fan's who don't feel the need to use drugs to listen to this.

But I will admit that listening to this album on Everclear, or other Grain Alcohol will definately provide for an enjoyable evening. Cant exclude the chewing tobacco either.

But I guess its all up to our personal preference.

I think the only drug I've used the most listening to this album has been caffeine. 3 shots of homemade espresso and a couple listens of Jambi definately jumpstarts my day at 5 am :)

Take care guys

Spiral Out!
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: 10,000 Days + No drugs

I can't use drugs due to my occupation :)
I don't use drugs because of my choice
I love this album :)

So nope, your'e not alone. There was a discussion about this a while back. Turns out there are ALOT of Tool Fan's who don't feel the need to use drugs to listen to this.

But I will admit that listening to this album on Everclear, or other Grain Alcohol will definately provide for an enjoyable evening. Cant exclude the chewing tobacco either.

But I guess its all up to our personal preference.

I think the only drug I've used the most listening to this album has been caffeine. 3 shots of homemade espresso and a couple listens of Jambi definately jumpstarts my day at 5 am :)

Take care guys

Spiral Out!
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Tooltb420
04-27-2006, 06:56 PM

I my friend have not used drugs with this album experience either. I still find it absolutly amazing.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I my friend have not used drugs with this album experience either. I still find it absolutly amazing.
The Sky
04-27-2006, 06:57 PM

I haven't heard it high on anything yet. I've listened to it after a few beers but nothing too intoxicating. I wanna hear the final mix dammit!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I haven't heard it high on anything yet. I've listened to it after a few beers but nothing too intoxicating. I wanna hear the final mix dammit!
BlueSecondSun's Avatar BlueSecondSun
04-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho

Agreed.....I always feel like I am the ONLY one who listens to TOOL without using drugs to enhance the experience. Hell, it's TOOL, who need's drugs?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho

Agreed.....I always feel like I am the ONLY one who listens to TOOL without using drugs to enhance the experience. Hell, it's TOOL, who need's drugs?
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM

never used drugs here, dont need em, dont want them
Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

never used drugs here, dont need em, dont want them
04-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Drugs are for people who can't appreciate music without them.

There, I said it.

Fuck drugs when listening to music.. I'm in my sophmore year as a music major and I've never done drugs.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862

There, I said it.

Fuck drugs when listening to music.. I'm in my sophmore year as a music major and I've never done drugs.
04-27-2006, 07:06 PM

dude tool is the best with a couple of percocets and sum xanax, with a couple a valiumes, maybe a few somas. gotta have some of that bud. [konbud]

if your not zoning out and jamming to tool, your missing out!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

dude tool is the best with a couple of percocets and sum xanax, with a couple a valiumes, maybe a few somas. gotta have some of that bud. [konbud]

TylerTiano
04-27-2006, 07:07 PM

i dont do drugs, and i love it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

i dont do drugs, and i love it.
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
04-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime weed

you should listen to it without it, you might suprise yourself
Old 04-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime weed

you should listen to it without it, you might suprise yourself
04-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic

There, I said it.

don't dog it until you try it dumbshit.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

There, I said it.

Systolic
04-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3

I'd rather not degrade myself like that, honestly.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

04-27-2006, 07:11 PM

For those who need a reminder,

-Bill Hicks:See I think, drugs have some done good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal fucking high on drugs.-

Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom is what it is, okay?. Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.-
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

-Bill Hicks:See I think, drugs have some done good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal fucking high on drugs.-

Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom is what it is, okay?. Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.-
right_in_three's Avatar right_in_three
04-27-2006, 07:11 PM

The closest thing I've evr done to drugs was advil, and I still got teary-eyed on "10,000 days"
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

The closest thing I've evr done to drugs was advil, and I still got teary-eyed on "10,000 days"
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sky

Find ONE song created COMPLETELY under the influence of drugs, and when you do, find ONE SMIDGEN of emotion in the song....
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Find ONE song created COMPLETELY under the influence of drugs, and when you do, find ONE SMIDGEN of emotion in the song....
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM

im pretty much the biggest tool fan round where i live, however most people round here either think that they are g-thug ghetto bad-asses and listen to nothing but rap shit or are hillbilly rednecks that wanna sleep with thier sisters, so its not saying much. id say bout 75% of the people i know have done/do drugs since there isnt much else to do round here, i dont have anything aganist it, however i never have in my 22 years, and on top of that i hardly ever drink, like maybe once every 3 months i'll have a couple drinks with some friends and thats about it, and i love this album, not quite as much as aenima, but love it none the less.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

im pretty much the biggest tool fan round where i live, however most people round here either think that they are g-thug ghetto bad-asses and listen to nothing but rap shit or are hillbilly rednecks that wanna sleep with thier sisters, so its not saying much. id say bout 75% of the people i know have done/do drugs since there isnt much else to do round here, i dont have anything aganist it, however i never have in my 22 years, and on top of that i hardly ever drink, like maybe once every 3 months i'll have a couple drinks with some friends and thats about it, and i love this album, not quite as much as aenima, but love it none the less.
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
probed
Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
probed
TuralyonW3
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
so the guys in tool are degrading themselves?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
so the guys in tool are degrading themselves?
TheHolyGift's Avatar TheHolyGift
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

I never listen to music on drugs... or do drugs at all. Mostly just out of fundamental hatred for the potheads in this town... each of whom has his own "brilliant plan to eradicate the [n word]s." I fucking hate these nazis.

this band changed my life

Last edited by TheHolyGift; 04-27-2006 at 07:17 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30

I never listen to music on drugs... or do drugs at all. Mostly just out of fundamental hatred for the potheads in this town... each of whom has his own "brilliant plan to eradicate the [n word]s." I fucking hate these nazis.

this band changed my life

Last edited by TheHolyGift; 04-27-2006 at 07:17 PM..
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Keep this thread free of insults, there's nothing worse than a bunch of straight edgers and a bunch of potheads going at it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #20
Banned.

Keep this thread free of insults, there's nothing worse than a bunch of straight edgers and a bunch of potheads going at it.
Dispatch's Avatar Dispatch
04-27-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Hicks quit using drugs because he wanted to be able to REMEMBER anything interesting and unique he experienced in his life. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned are based on a joke he told about wanting to be sober and alert for his impending alien abduction. I think the band is trying to tell it's overly medicated fans to cool off a bit so they can still learn from reality.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #21
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: Not sure which is more dangerous, Iraq or college in Boston

Quote:

Hicks quit using drugs because he wanted to be able to REMEMBER anything interesting and unique he experienced in his life. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned are based on a joke he told about wanting to be sober and alert for his impending alien abduction. I think the band is trying to tell it's overly medicated fans to cool off a bit so they can still learn from reality.
04-27-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
probed
thank the heavens for paraflux.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
probed
thank the heavens for paraflux.
04-27-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
+100000
Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
+100000
04-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGift
I never listen to music on drugs... or do drugs at all. Mostly just out of fundamental hatred for the potheads in this town... each of whom has his own "brilliant plan to eradicate the ******s."
I've been trying to eradicate the asteriks for many a moon now...they are infinitely persistent...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGift
I never listen to music on drugs... or do drugs at all. Mostly just out of fundamental hatred for the potheads in this town... each of whom has his own "brilliant plan to eradicate the ******s."
I've been trying to eradicate the asteriks for many a moon now...they are infinitely persistent...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:21 PM

I quit smokin cjeeba, that was part of the key

-MCA, Beastie Boys, Ill Communication
Old 04-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #25
Banned.

I quit smokin cjeeba, that was part of the key

-MCA, Beastie Boys, Ill Communication
F!end's Avatar F!end
04-27-2006, 07:23 PM

You're definately not alone =)
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #26

Bincount™: 7

04-27-2006, 07:25 PM

I haven't touched a drug since 1992 and I have no need to go back. But I use MUSIC and different types of meditation to take me to those places.. And it's better than any 3rd party chemical substance. Our bodies make the best drugs, you just have to learn how to release them.

With that said, drugs are not for me. But I don't have anything against people that use them responsibly. If you enjoy them and they're not hurting you or the people around you, go for it.

10,000 days got me high. :)

You are not alone.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I haven't touched a drug since 1992 and I have no need to go back. But I use MUSIC and different types of meditation to take me to those places.. And it's better than any 3rd party chemical substance. Our bodies make the best drugs, you just have to learn how to release them.

With that said, drugs are not for me. But I don't have anything against people that use them responsibly. If you enjoy them and they're not hurting you or the people around you, go for it.

10,000 days got me high. :)

You are not alone.
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM

I quit smoking marijuana back in '01, quit smoking ciggs last year, and have yet to decide if I want to give up alcohol anytime soon.

Ive found other outlets.

:)
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I quit smoking marijuana back in '01, quit smoking ciggs last year, and have yet to decide if I want to give up alcohol anytime soon.

Ive found other outlets.

:)
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F!end
I havent stopped smoking, actually. That was a lyric.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #29
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F!end
I havent stopped smoking, actually. That was a lyric.
Stev's Avatar Stev
04-27-2006, 07:33 PM

To answer your question, you're definitely not the only one that loves Tool and the new album without drugs. I listen to it all day at work and I'm straight then and I love it. I'd be lying, though, if I said I didn't enjoy it more with some altered brain chemistry.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #30

Bincount™: 18

To answer your question, you're definitely not the only one that loves Tool and the new album without drugs. I listen to it all day at work and I'm straight then and I love it. I'd be lying, though, if I said I didn't enjoy it more with some altered brain chemistry.
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM

as i can not use illegal substances due to responsibilites to my family and my occupation, tool is "my drug of choice". i have yet to have a beer while listening to this album and absolutely love it.

having said that, when i was in high school, disgustipated blew me out of the freaking water whilst on lsd. i was in a buddy's car that had two "15's in the back and i was transported to another demension.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

as i can not use illegal substances due to responsibilites to my family and my occupation, tool is "my drug of choice". i have yet to have a beer while listening to this album and absolutely love it.

having said that, when i was in high school, disgustipated blew me out of the freaking water whilst on lsd. i was in a buddy's car that had two "15's in the back and i was transported to another demension.
04-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Look, there is just no denying that if you are passionate about music, psychoactive substances can heighten your listening experience. Marijuana. The various types of mushrooms and fungus found across the globe. LSD-25. "Heighten" is a serious understatement, as well, because you will hear things like you have never heard them before, you will never listen to music the same way, you will carry with you a different set of ears to listen to things from that point on. There's no mistaking that. But once you learn something from it, the goal is to reach that place without having to use those things to get there. I'm still in the transitional phase. I've learned what I think I can, it's about damn time I got there on my own, with the chemicals that I carry around with me in my brain. So again I play the mediator. Those of you who havent used drugs, dont call people dumbasses if they have. Those who have, dont act like you know something that isnt readily available to everyone else. Maybe they are already great at listening. Maybe they hear things that not even you catch. It's all good.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #32
Banned.

Look, there is just no denying that if you are passionate about music, psychoactive substances can heighten your listening experience. Marijuana. The various types of mushrooms and fungus found across the globe. LSD-25. "Heighten" is a serious understatement, as well, because you will hear things like you have never heard them before, you will never listen to music the same way, you will carry with you a different set of ears to listen to things from that point on. There's no mistaking that. But once you learn something from it, the goal is to reach that place without having to use those things to get there. I'm still in the transitional phase. I've learned what I think I can, it's about damn time I got there on my own, with the chemicals that I carry around with me in my brain. So again I play the mediator. Those of you who havent used drugs, dont call people dumbasses if they have. Those who have, dont act like you know something that isnt readily available to everyone else. Maybe they are already great at listening. Maybe they hear things that not even you catch. It's all good.
stevolution
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM

I don't do drugs and I love this album. I can understand why people need drugs to create and enjoy art but I find the world interesting enough sober. I was disappointed at first but a week later in my opinion it's second only to Lateralus which oddly enough I also was disappointed with at first.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

I don't do drugs and I love this album. I can understand why people need drugs to create and enjoy art but I find the world interesting enough sober. I was disappointed at first but a week later in my opinion it's second only to Lateralus which oddly enough I also was disappointed with at first.
Cemetery Shindig
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It's not about what's done WHILE under the influence. It's about what is brought about BECAUSE of the experience. These things are what influence the music. There are many pathways. Substances are one. Just because they're not made by your body doesn't mean they're not a legitimate way to reach those places, as long as you take what you learn and use it to benefit yourself and others.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
It's not about what's done WHILE under the influence. It's about what is brought about BECAUSE of the experience. These things are what influence the music. There are many pathways. Substances are one. Just because they're not made by your body doesn't mean they're not a legitimate way to reach those places, as long as you take what you learn and use it to benefit yourself and others.
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
You seriously cant mean this. Are you denying that a fucking lot of our best, honest, emotional music was heavily influenced by the use of such things? Seriously?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #35
Banned.

Quote:
You seriously cant mean this. Are you denying that a fucking lot of our best, honest, emotional music was heavily influenced by the use of such things? Seriously?
ZeroGlass
04-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Im still learning to get to all (well some i dont wanna go back to) the places i used to go when i was a user. Being clean for a good few years now its amazing how some things in reality are much like the trips used to be.

If you are alert enough you can see some of the vibrations in everyday life.

Find them, then rip them apart.

Walk inside and sit down.

Ill be there with you working my way towards the answer that was never a question.

Keep on TooLing ;)
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Im still learning to get to all (well some i dont wanna go back to) the places i used to go when i was a user. Being clean for a good few years now its amazing how some things in reality are much like the trips used to be.

If you are alert enough you can see some of the vibrations in everyday life.

Find them, then rip them apart.

Walk inside and sit down.

Ill be there with you working my way towards the answer that was never a question.

Keep on TooLing ;)
Cemetery Shindig
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevolution
There's no need to be high and mighty, and im not sure if you meant your post to have that tone. As far as psychedellic drugs are concerned, there's no real argument for NEED. If someone were to NEED to be tripping in order to appreciate something, they simply wouldn't be tripping for the right reasons. Yes, there are right reasons. I'm not trying to make an argument out of this, 'cause it would be endless. I just feel like a lot of the people I talk to who don't do drugs lump all drugs and drug-users into one category. It's kind of closed-minded is all.

And, not that it really matters, but the first time I listened to the album I was completely sober and loved it. I've listened to it on a variety of things and still enjoy it without. Sobriety is its own fruitful reality, with just as many peaks and lows as drug use.

Last edited by Cemetery Shindig; 04-27-2006 at 07:50 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevolution
There's no need to be high and mighty, and im not sure if you meant your post to have that tone. As far as psychedellic drugs are concerned, there's no real argument for NEED. If someone were to NEED to be tripping in order to appreciate something, they simply wouldn't be tripping for the right reasons. Yes, there are right reasons. I'm not trying to make an argument out of this, 'cause it would be endless. I just feel like a lot of the people I talk to who don't do drugs lump all drugs and drug-users into one category. It's kind of closed-minded is all.

And, not that it really matters, but the first time I listened to the album I was completely sober and loved it. I've listened to it on a variety of things and still enjoy it without. Sobriety is its own fruitful reality, with just as many peaks and lows as drug use.

Last edited by Cemetery Shindig; 04-27-2006 at 07:50 PM..
Khastra_KSC's Avatar Khastra_KSC
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM

I do drugs, but I haven't listened to the album on any yet and I love it. kickass.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #38
formerly [i]from death we are nothing[/i]

Bincount™: 173

I do drugs, but I haven't listened to the album on any yet and I love it. kickass.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Those of you who havent used drugs, dont call people dumbasses if they have. Those who have, dont act like you know something that isnt readily available to everyone else. Maybe they are already great at listening. Maybe they hear things that not even you catch. It's all good.
And there we have it. From a tightass sober asshole to a strung out druggie: well said, sir. Well said.

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #39
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Those of you who havent used drugs, dont call people dumbasses if they have. Those who have, dont act like you know something that isnt readily available to everyone else. Maybe they are already great at listening. Maybe they hear things that not even you catch. It's all good.
And there we have it. From a tightass sober asshole to a strung out druggie: well said, sir. Well said.

~Arno Schmidt
paraflux
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
hahaha wait... what are you calling me?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #40
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
hahaha wait... what are you calling me?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply