Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
limitlesss
05-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Ya there wasn't as much energy on the floor as I expected, the guys near me were like statues the whole time. The end of this video is the quote about L.A. and no VIP's in S.D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glz-B...elated&search=
Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/03 - San Diego, CA - Cox Arena

Ya there wasn't as much energy on the floor as I expected, the guys near me were like statues the whole time. The end of this video is the quote about L.A. and no VIP's in S.D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glz-B...elated&search=
OFFLINE |  
Cavalier1
05-08-2007, 11:22 PM

Its been a couple days but ears are still ringing from those nights, May 3rd in particular. I too was floored over Push It. At the time of Maynards quote"We are a cover band" .... Thoughts came to me it might be something else from Undertow beside Swamp Song, or like some of you mentioned, "No Quarter".
I believe too that the crowd in San Diego was not into it as much, as in other shows . Especially over something momentous as Push It was...bit there might be a good reason for that...

I think at every Tool concert, (particualrly this one in San Diego)) there are many first timers. They are here, joining the"collective", because they heard songs from 10,000 Days. Maybe they think Vicarious is the most bitchin song and the only Tool album out there. I think we were all there once. My time was 1997, 46& 2 on the radio is what hooked me to Tool, and the only song I really knew when I sawe them live. I didnt know what Opiate or Undertow was when I first saw them back then.

It was a diverse crowd that night. I saw a lot of kids at this concert with their parents. I actually met some older people ( older than 45) who could have tripped balls with Floyd, Hendrix, or the Dead... the best shows of their times.. and now all rockin out with me in San Diego. They were first timers and did know all the songs. But its great to see how they could come and be influenced by the music.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Its been a couple days but ears are still ringing from those nights, May 3rd in particular. I too was floored over Push It. At the time of Maynards quote"We are a cover band" .... Thoughts came to me it might be something else from Undertow beside Swamp Song, or like some of you mentioned, "No Quarter".
I believe too that the crowd in San Diego was not into it as much, as in other shows . Especially over something momentous as Push It was...bit there might be a good reason for that...

I think at every Tool concert, (particualrly this one in San Diego)) there are many first timers. They are here, joining the"collective", because they heard songs from 10,000 Days. Maybe they think Vicarious is the most bitchin song and the only Tool album out there. I think we were all there once. My time was 1997, 46& 2 on the radio is what hooked me to Tool, and the only song I really knew when I sawe them live. I didnt know what Opiate or Undertow was when I first saw them back then.

It was a diverse crowd that night. I saw a lot of kids at this concert with their parents. I actually met some older people ( older than 45) who could have tripped balls with Floyd, Hendrix, or the Dead... the best shows of their times.. and now all rockin out with me in San Diego. They were first timers and did know all the songs. But its great to see how they could come and be influenced by the music.
OFFLINE |  
cutefeet
05-11-2007, 10:43 AM

You wont believe me but my gut knows it was him.

Maynard was incognito; wig/glasses/hat etc. sitting behind me for about 15 min. Right before show he bailed up 15th flights to get downstairs when the band came out not long after. After asking around if the strange person was with anyone all around realized nobody knew this person and that his strange behavior had made them uncomfortable. I had looked straight at his face more then once, 5 feet from me.

It was Maynard.

Anyone experience something similar? See Maynard in the stands prior to his performing?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard in cox arena stands

Maynard was incognito; wig/glasses/hat etc. sitting behind me for about 15 min. Right before show he bailed up 15th flights to get downstairs when the band came out not long after. After asking around if the strange person was with anyone all around realized nobody knew this person and that his strange behavior had made them uncomfortable. I had looked straight at his face more then once, 5 feet from me.

It was Maynard.

Anyone experience something similar? See Maynard in the stands prior to his performing?
OFFLINE |  
Stratos's Avatar Stratos
05-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutefeet View Post

It was Maynard.

At Coachella a very short guy with a white cowboy hat was pushing his way through the crowd with a hot chick. A guy next to me flipped out and said it was Maynard. It could have been but I was reluctant to believe he was going to get through all those people in the crowd to the stage. (We were standing about 150 feet back, right by the sound "cage" for those who were there.)
Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Maynard in cox arena stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutefeet View Post

It was Maynard.

At Coachella a very short guy with a white cowboy hat was pushing his way through the crowd with a hot chick. A guy next to me flipped out and said it was Maynard. It could have been but I was reluctant to believe he was going to get through all those people in the crowd to the stage. (We were standing about 150 feet back, right by the sound "cage" for those who were there.)
LEJend's Avatar LEJend
05-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Been two weeks since the show and I'm still digesting it. Flew down solo and sober after work ('cept for the Sudafed). Dead-center floor seat, section FFF -- close enough to see grins and grimaces on stage and at least 5 of Danny's six arms, far enough back to enjoy the sweetest sound mix I've ever heard at a live show (and a LOUD one at that!). Got there early enough to nab a shirt and get in my seat before the lights dimmed. Sat through the opening jammers just to let my ears adjust for The Show, then kicked back and watched the venue fill up slowly but surely. Far less freaks than in LA, but that's SD for ya, and that's not a bad thing. Finally, when I could no longer scan the arena and see empty seats... the lights went out. Screams, cheering and applauding, rumbling loudspeakers, TOOL!

Jambi is an awesome opener. Kinda builds up the momentum rather nicely, like the thrill of going UP the rollercoaster before the first drop. That part's fun too! Then, whoosh! Stinkfist! Bad ass, the show is ROCKING! Holy ****, Maynard suddenly busts out a belly yelp that freezes me in place! He's feelin' it! Then, 46x2, see the show changing, pulling up and over me. Lights and visuals suddenly grab my attention. The 'hall of faces' on the backdrop screen as it fades in and out with the twisting rainbow beziers starts to mesmerize me. Schism allows me to calm down a bit and tune in to the spectacle. Justin's bass playing skills are top notch, and the nuances he can get across live on top of the roar of his bandmates bewilders me. Whoah... Lost Keys (this one hits home for personal reasons) and then Rosetta Stoned. I notice my shirt is waving as if standing on a blufftop in a stiff breeze. DAMN it's loud! Danny catches my eye here, can't believe how fast he plays. STOKED I'm so close I can make out what he's doing, but just barely. Sometimes a symbol would crash and waiver, and you'd never even see his arm move to hit it. Dude's a magic man. Cracked up watching Maynard pow-wow w/ Saturn in the visual as it sauntered into his view. Didn't think he paid attention to the screens. Fit w/ the song, too.

Whew, catching my breath after that, then... wha? PUSHIT!? Unbelievable. No, really... UNBELIEVABLE! Totally rocked it. Out of nowhere. Got goosebumps, tears in eyes. Kind of cackled with glee. Actually busted out a few lines w/ Maynard here and there, couldn't help myself. Awesome!

During the intermission prior to 10kDays I looked around and noticed heads leaning together and discussions taking place, knew everyone was talking about seeing Pushit and knowing how special that was. Then, of course, they roll into 10kDays and the lasers are actually making me trip out a little bit. Maybe a few leftover molecules in some burned-off fat cells leaked out, who knows. But they were spot-on with the song, incredible. Of course, then they go all Lateralus and everyone goes nuts. Freakin' INSANE fills and tangents by Danny as Justin drones the simple bass hook and pushes and bends until it all comes back together again and SPIRALS OUT! Audio/visual synergy at this point gets almost cosmic. Don't really feel contained in a building or present in a crowd anymore. Then Vicarious brings me back and I remember I'm at a rock show, a really ROCKING SHOW, best show ever! A wave of satisfaction rolls over me. I chuckle watching Danny smash at a symbol that a stage hand is trying to screw back down. Gotta love the sight of such serious and deep artists playing whack-a-mole w/ their crew. Ya know they are human after all. Yeah, yeah, yeah, heh, heh, heh -- AENIMA! Knew it was the end, but relished it nonetheless. One final, belly-rumbling, chest-ripping, ear-sweating, eye-twitching bass-guitar-drum-vocal pummelling and fffffffffffWAP! Show's over. Sat back and watched the venue empty out. Was one of the last to exit. Satisfied.

First saw Tool at Lollapalooza in a dry lakebed in OC nearly 15 years ago, was totally amazed. Finally caught 'em again at the LA show at Staples w/ my bro in Sept 06 where they busted out 10kDays and RightIn2, and was really, completely amazed. But now I can say I saw 'em in my own backyard, while they were in their prime element, and I am truly, certainly, fully, wholeheartedly amazed. Best... show... ever. Thanks, Tool!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 459

Been two weeks since the show and I'm still digesting it. Flew down solo and sober after work ('cept for the Sudafed). Dead-center floor seat, section FFF -- close enough to see grins and grimaces on stage and at least 5 of Danny's six arms, far enough back to enjoy the sweetest sound mix I've ever heard at a live show (and a LOUD one at that!). Got there early enough to nab a shirt and get in my seat before the lights dimmed. Sat through the opening jammers just to let my ears adjust for The Show, then kicked back and watched the venue fill up slowly but surely. Far less freaks than in LA, but that's SD for ya, and that's not a bad thing. Finally, when I could no longer scan the arena and see empty seats... the lights went out. Screams, cheering and applauding, rumbling loudspeakers, TOOL!

Jambi is an awesome opener. Kinda builds up the momentum rather nicely, like the thrill of going UP the rollercoaster before the first drop. That part's fun too! Then, whoosh! Stinkfist! Bad ass, the show is ROCKING! Holy ****, Maynard suddenly busts out a belly yelp that freezes me in place! He's feelin' it! Then, 46x2, see the show changing, pulling up and over me. Lights and visuals suddenly grab my attention. The 'hall of faces' on the backdrop screen as it fades in and out with the twisting rainbow beziers starts to mesmerize me. Schism allows me to calm down a bit and tune in to the spectacle. Justin's bass playing skills are top notch, and the nuances he can get across live on top of the roar of his bandmates bewilders me. Whoah... Lost Keys (this one hits home for personal reasons) and then Rosetta Stoned. I notice my shirt is waving as if standing on a blufftop in a stiff breeze. DAMN it's loud! Danny catches my eye here, can't believe how fast he plays. STOKED I'm so close I can make out what he's doing, but just barely. Sometimes a symbol would crash and waiver, and you'd never even see his arm move to hit it. Dude's a magic man. Cracked up watching Maynard pow-wow w/ Saturn in the visual as it sauntered into his view. Didn't think he paid attention to the screens. Fit w/ the song, too.

Whew, catching my breath after that, then... wha? PUSHIT!? Unbelievable. No, really... UNBELIEVABLE! Totally rocked it. Out of nowhere. Got goosebumps, tears in eyes. Kind of cackled with glee. Actually busted out a few lines w/ Maynard here and there, couldn't help myself. Awesome!

During the intermission prior to 10kDays I looked around and noticed heads leaning together and discussions taking place, knew everyone was talking about seeing Pushit and knowing how special that was. Then, of course, they roll into 10kDays and the lasers are actually making me trip out a little bit. Maybe a few leftover molecules in some burned-off fat cells leaked out, who knows. But they were spot-on with the song, incredible. Of course, then they go all Lateralus and everyone goes nuts. Freakin' INSANE fills and tangents by Danny as Justin drones the simple bass hook and pushes and bends until it all comes back together again and SPIRALS OUT! Audio/visual synergy at this point gets almost cosmic. Don't really feel contained in a building or present in a crowd anymore. Then Vicarious brings me back and I remember I'm at a rock show, a really ROCKING SHOW, best show ever! A wave of satisfaction rolls over me. I chuckle watching Danny smash at a symbol that a stage hand is trying to screw back down. Gotta love the sight of such serious and deep artists playing whack-a-mole w/ their crew. Ya know they are human after all. Yeah, yeah, yeah, heh, heh, heh -- AENIMA! Knew it was the end, but relished it nonetheless. One final, belly-rumbling, chest-ripping, ear-sweating, eye-twitching bass-guitar-drum-vocal pummelling and fffffffffffWAP! Show's over. Sat back and watched the venue empty out. Was one of the last to exit. Satisfied.

First saw Tool at Lollapalooza in a dry lakebed in OC nearly 15 years ago, was totally amazed. Finally caught 'em again at the LA show at Staples w/ my bro in Sept 06 where they busted out 10kDays and RightIn2, and was really, completely amazed. But now I can say I saw 'em in my own backyard, while they were in their prime element, and I am truly, certainly, fully, wholeheartedly amazed. Best... show... ever. Thanks, Tool!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply