Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Sorry about the late thread opening.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-07-2007 at 07:05 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/05/06 - Tucson, AZ - Convention Center Arena

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 and 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Sorry about the late thread opening.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-07-2007 at 07:05 AM..
OFFLINE |  
trainreck
05-07-2007, 01:37 AM

Once again this was a great show. The set list was:

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima

The light show, Visuals and laser show were all incredible. The sound was a bit much for the size of the arena in Tucson. The Bass and low end was drownning out most of the high stuff including Maynard's voice from time to time. But all that aside the show was none the less inspiring.

Missing from the set list, from past shows on this tour were Sober and Right in Two. But Push it sounded great. And Danny was amazing. The little drum solo he did in the middle of Lateralus was great.

Justin played incredibly and Adam was dead on all night. Maynard was in a fun mood as well. Greeting everyone by saying, "Hello Dickheads." At times he did seem to be a bit flat and it sounded like his mic cut out at the end of Vicarious, but at other times he was the proven, mohawked, rightfully cocky, great rock god we have come to expect.

The highlights of the night for me were Wings and 10,000 Days, Rosseta Stoned, 46 & 2, Vicarious Push it, and Lateralus. That is more than half the show. Just another great show for me. My 6th Tool show and I know there will be more.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
05/06/2007 - Tuscon, AZ

Once again this was a great show. The set list was:

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima

The light show, Visuals and laser show were all incredible. The sound was a bit much for the size of the arena in Tucson. The Bass and low end was drownning out most of the high stuff including Maynard's voice from time to time. But all that aside the show was none the less inspiring.

Missing from the set list, from past shows on this tour were Sober and Right in Two. But Push it sounded great. And Danny was amazing. The little drum solo he did in the middle of Lateralus was great.

Justin played incredibly and Adam was dead on all night. Maynard was in a fun mood as well. Greeting everyone by saying, "Hello Dickheads." At times he did seem to be a bit flat and it sounded like his mic cut out at the end of Vicarious, but at other times he was the proven, mohawked, rightfully cocky, great rock god we have come to expect.

The highlights of the night for me were Wings and 10,000 Days, Rosseta Stoned, 46 & 2, Vicarious Push it, and Lateralus. That is more than half the show. Just another great show for me. My 6th Tool show and I know there will be more.
OFFLINE |  
rayro38
05-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 and 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
--------- To the best of my memory

I've been a Tool fan since I saw the Sober video on MTV back in '94. I bought Undertow then Opiate a week later.
This show: What an experience. The all around energy connecting with the audience was awesome. The extended version of Schism blew me away. I have never seen Danny play that hard or fast. Someone passed me some binoculars so I could see every chop. (Thank you stranger 4 seats down!)

Maynard nailed every song well. He first appeared wearing an bright orange hoodie, then he peeled down to jeans ,shirt and mohawk (no gas mask)

His voice was strong although a little buried in the overall sound. At the end of Lateralus he said "We'd love to stick around, but we want to get back to our internet p0rn. Theres some pretty interesting stuff on there.."

I was really hoping they would play 'Right In Two', but the regular version of 'Pushit' was beautiful. They had the big UFO lights hovering the whole time, along with a low drone that played in between songs.

This is my third live Tool experience and probably the best. (Despite the drunk yahoo that spilled beer down my back)

Our boys just keep getting better. Thanks for coming to Tucson TOOL!!

SPIRAL OUT
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: 2007/05/06 - Tucson, AZ - Convention Center Arena

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 and 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
--------- To the best of my memory

I've been a Tool fan since I saw the Sober video on MTV back in '94. I bought Undertow then Opiate a week later.
This show: What an experience. The all around energy connecting with the audience was awesome. The extended version of Schism blew me away. I have never seen Danny play that hard or fast. Someone passed me some binoculars so I could see every chop. (Thank you stranger 4 seats down!)

Maynard nailed every song well. He first appeared wearing an bright orange hoodie, then he peeled down to jeans ,shirt and mohawk (no gas mask)

His voice was strong although a little buried in the overall sound. At the end of Lateralus he said "We'd love to stick around, but we want to get back to our internet p0rn. Theres some pretty interesting stuff on there.."

I was really hoping they would play 'Right In Two', but the regular version of 'Pushit' was beautiful. They had the big UFO lights hovering the whole time, along with a low drone that played in between songs.

This is my third live Tool experience and probably the best. (Despite the drunk yahoo that spilled beer down my back)

Our boys just keep getting better. Thanks for coming to Tucson TOOL!!

SPIRAL OUT
OFFLINE |  
dynohmike
05-07-2007, 07:03 AM

I was able to get in front of Adam with just a few people between me and the bar. Definitely the closest I've ever been to the band and it was the best show I've seen them play yet.
The opening band, Kinski... they had a few good things here and there but overall I could have heard more music over the PA on CDs and been much happier.
Things really seemed to kick into gear during 46 & 2. Jambi and Stinkfist were kind of like primers for what was to come. This time everything went off without a hitch. No one throwing things at the stage, never saw a laser pointer and Maynard seemed to be in a good mood and care a lot about the performance. Near the beginning of the show he goes "That's how we do it in Arizona."
I noticed Maynard doing a wiggle dance around and then noticed myself almost doing the same thing without knowing it... I was definitely into it. Wings/10K Days was the highlight for me, just like the Phoenix show last year. It was, however, pretty amusing to know security was collecting lighters at the door then Justin on stage before the songs held up a lighter and there were maybe 50 in the place up... slowly more appeared but it made me laugh. A lot of people were looking around down front wondering what to do. Thanks to the guy who let me use his lighter to smoke up before the show... He didn't seem like a big Tool fan but I was grateful he was there... I got in with a pipe filled but no lighter... go figure.
Everyone seemed to go nuts for Aenema and it ended up being a perfect end to the show.
The sound at this show was much better than I expected. I saw Bob Dylan at the venue last year and it was the worst mix I've ever heard. The soundcheck for Tool the early-arrivers heard outside sounded better than Dylan did.
Great show and met a cool new friend thanks to this message board. I had a blast, Ben! Hopefully they remember shows and crowds like Tucson so they keep doing this for a while... at least as long as their bodies can keep up.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I was able to get in front of Adam with just a few people between me and the bar. Definitely the closest I've ever been to the band and it was the best show I've seen them play yet.
The opening band, Kinski... they had a few good things here and there but overall I could have heard more music over the PA on CDs and been much happier.
Things really seemed to kick into gear during 46 & 2. Jambi and Stinkfist were kind of like primers for what was to come. This time everything went off without a hitch. No one throwing things at the stage, never saw a laser pointer and Maynard seemed to be in a good mood and care a lot about the performance. Near the beginning of the show he goes "That's how we do it in Arizona."
I noticed Maynard doing a wiggle dance around and then noticed myself almost doing the same thing without knowing it... I was definitely into it. Wings/10K Days was the highlight for me, just like the Phoenix show last year. It was, however, pretty amusing to know security was collecting lighters at the door then Justin on stage before the songs held up a lighter and there were maybe 50 in the place up... slowly more appeared but it made me laugh. A lot of people were looking around down front wondering what to do. Thanks to the guy who let me use his lighter to smoke up before the show... He didn't seem like a big Tool fan but I was grateful he was there... I got in with a pipe filled but no lighter... go figure.
Everyone seemed to go nuts for Aenema and it ended up being a perfect end to the show.
The sound at this show was much better than I expected. I saw Bob Dylan at the venue last year and it was the worst mix I've ever heard. The soundcheck for Tool the early-arrivers heard outside sounded better than Dylan did.
Great show and met a cool new friend thanks to this message board. I had a blast, Ben! Hopefully they remember shows and crowds like Tucson so they keep doing this for a while... at least as long as their bodies can keep up.
OFFLINE |  
jambi46n2
05-07-2007, 07:51 AM

After the dramas at the Phoenix show last year and the tour break I was a bit concerned about how good this show would be. But fortunately all fears evaporated when Jambi started and it was clear the boys, and the crowd, where in great form. "That's how we do it in Arizona", Maynard announced before launching into Stinkfist. I had goosebumps for the first four songs. And the back-to-back set of Pushit, Wings/10000 Days and Lateralus was simply as good as it gets. Maynard wasnt very chatty, but was animated as I've seen him with his dancing. He didnt sing the La-la-las or the first two lines of the last verse in Vicarious, but chimed in on the last line "Much better you than I", so I can at least appreciate the dry humour of that. I was standing in the area to the immediate right of the stage so it was a great vantage point for watching Danny go nuts in the extended section of Schism and Lateralus and the gentler moments in Wings/10000 Days and Pushit. Couldnt see the main projection screen behind the stage but was very impressed with the stage projection images during Rosetta Stoned, Wings/10000 Days and Lateralus. All in all, very enjoyable.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

After the dramas at the Phoenix show last year and the tour break I was a bit concerned about how good this show would be. But fortunately all fears evaporated when Jambi started and it was clear the boys, and the crowd, where in great form. "That's how we do it in Arizona", Maynard announced before launching into Stinkfist. I had goosebumps for the first four songs. And the back-to-back set of Pushit, Wings/10000 Days and Lateralus was simply as good as it gets. Maynard wasnt very chatty, but was animated as I've seen him with his dancing. He didnt sing the La-la-las or the first two lines of the last verse in Vicarious, but chimed in on the last line "Much better you than I", so I can at least appreciate the dry humour of that. I was standing in the area to the immediate right of the stage so it was a great vantage point for watching Danny go nuts in the extended section of Schism and Lateralus and the gentler moments in Wings/10000 Days and Pushit. Couldnt see the main projection screen behind the stage but was very impressed with the stage projection images during Rosetta Stoned, Wings/10000 Days and Lateralus. All in all, very enjoyable.
05-07-2007, 07:52 AM

You know I have read previous post about how disappointed people were about the setlist, the performance and all other things, all I have to say is FUCK YOU. WOW! What a great show it's was lastnight. I have seen TOOL here in Tucson back in "94 (@The Rock), '97 (Desert Sky), '01(Crickett), '02(TCC and America West) and '06 (The Gammage and Crickett). By far this has been the greatest show that TOOL has performed. It's seems that the show 's in Tucson are always better that the ones in Phoenix, smaller venues perhaps who knows. Stage Lighting, Lasers and sound was amazing, even the setlist. You gotta love the way TOOL sped through a part in Schism. Jumping into the time machine, Pushit was awesome as well. I wonder why Maynard doesn't say that about Stinkfist or 46&2. For all you people who have yet to see the second the leg of the this tour, be prepared for what will be an amazing experience. Don't listen to any COCKFACE that says something negative about the show.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

You know I have read previous post about how disappointed people were about the setlist, the performance and all other things, all I have to say is FUCK YOU. WOW! What a great show it's was lastnight. I have seen TOOL here in Tucson back in "94 (@The Rock), '97 (Desert Sky), '01(Crickett), '02(TCC and America West) and '06 (The Gammage and Crickett). By far this has been the greatest show that TOOL has performed. It's seems that the show 's in Tucson are always better that the ones in Phoenix, smaller venues perhaps who knows. Stage Lighting, Lasers and sound was amazing, even the setlist. You gotta love the way TOOL sped through a part in Schism. Jumping into the time machine, Pushit was awesome as well. I wonder why Maynard doesn't say that about Stinkfist or 46&2. For all you people who have yet to see the second the leg of the this tour, be prepared for what will be an amazing experience. Don't listen to any COCKFACE that says something negative about the show.
OFFLINE |  
Etopia
05-07-2007, 08:34 AM

I swear Maynard started out Stinkfist with "something HASNT changed"... anyone else. By far the best TOOL show I have seen so far. Amazing set list although Adam seemed really zoned out and not into it. Probably after playing the same songs repetitively it just becomes more habit then anything. Justin was rocking out. I like when Maynard has commentary and he was low on those. Danny did an amazing job seeing as he had to ice his arm about halfway through. The opener Kinski I really liked, they should get someone to write lyrics for them I like singing along to music. The floor was pretty mellow, not enough energy for me, but people were def. enjoying it. Of course playing in AZ they had to end with Aenema!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

2007/05/06 - Tucson, AZ - Convention Center Arena

I swear Maynard started out Stinkfist with "something HASNT changed"... anyone else. By far the best TOOL show I have seen so far. Amazing set list although Adam seemed really zoned out and not into it. Probably after playing the same songs repetitively it just becomes more habit then anything. Justin was rocking out. I like when Maynard has commentary and he was low on those. Danny did an amazing job seeing as he had to ice his arm about halfway through. The opener Kinski I really liked, they should get someone to write lyrics for them I like singing along to music. The floor was pretty mellow, not enough energy for me, but people were def. enjoying it. Of course playing in AZ they had to end with Aenema!
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM

This was my 5th tool show, 4th of this tour. I had the fairly low expectations going into this show. I wasn't expecting a big change from the last one i went to in Phx at Criket. I suppose it was right after 46 & 2 when the three light circles came down from the ceiling above the band. They all three came down and rotated to face the crowd. Inside the three circles was the most beautiful objects i have ever seen. It's difficult for me to describe. It was like a kaleidescope of purple colors. The center one had some sort of sacred geometric pattern like the one on danny's bass drums. THat lasted a few minutes and blew everyone away. All i could hear around me was "Oh my God" and "That is sooo beautiful."

The only down side of the show was right when they started playing. I just happened to be in the center of a god damn mosh pit. I swear to god some of these people should be locked up. Anyway, i moved and all was well. :D Pushit was the musical highlight for me. I'd never heard it live before, in person at least. By far the best concert i have ever been to by any band and it was one of the best overall experiences of my life. The kind of concert you will be telling your grandchildren about 40 years from now!

For the people reading this that are going to shows on this tour in the future, i tell you you are in for an amazing experience! Better than Lateralus 2002 tour! Very Pink Floyd, very trippy. See you on the other side...

EDIT: As we were leaving the venue we had just gotten outside and there were people everywhere. All of a sudden the crowd errupted on the North Side (I think) exit area. It was like a band member was out there or something. Did anyone happen to catch what the commotion was???

EDIT 2: My buddy was snapping pictures all night with his camera. I only got one picture. I think it's neat. I used a razr to snap this one. It's a pic of what i was describing earlier with the three light circles.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2...z050607ni1.jpg

Last edited by no_name; 05-07-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

This was my 5th tool show, 4th of this tour. I had the fairly low expectations going into this show. I wasn't expecting a big change from the last one i went to in Phx at Criket. I suppose it was right after 46 & 2 when the three light circles came down from the ceiling above the band. They all three came down and rotated to face the crowd. Inside the three circles was the most beautiful objects i have ever seen. It's difficult for me to describe. It was like a kaleidescope of purple colors. The center one had some sort of sacred geometric pattern like the one on danny's bass drums. THat lasted a few minutes and blew everyone away. All i could hear around me was "Oh my God" and "That is sooo beautiful."

The only down side of the show was right when they started playing. I just happened to be in the center of a god damn mosh pit. I swear to god some of these people should be locked up. Anyway, i moved and all was well. :D Pushit was the musical highlight for me. I'd never heard it live before, in person at least. By far the best concert i have ever been to by any band and it was one of the best overall experiences of my life. The kind of concert you will be telling your grandchildren about 40 years from now!

For the people reading this that are going to shows on this tour in the future, i tell you you are in for an amazing experience! Better than Lateralus 2002 tour! Very Pink Floyd, very trippy. See you on the other side...

EDIT: As we were leaving the venue we had just gotten outside and there were people everywhere. All of a sudden the crowd errupted on the North Side (I think) exit area. It was like a band member was out there or something. Did anyone happen to catch what the commotion was???

EDIT 2: My buddy was snapping pictures all night with his camera. I only got one picture. I think it's neat. I used a razr to snap this one. It's a pic of what i was describing earlier with the three light circles.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2...z050607ni1.jpg

Last edited by no_name; 05-07-2007 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
jambi46n2
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_name View Post
I was in the area when that commotion erupted and from what I can tell it was just an impromptu release of gratification from the fans for such a pumped show.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_name View Post
I was in the area when that commotion erupted and from what I can tell it was just an impromptu release of gratification from the fans for such a pumped show.
05-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Now that was a show!!! Eventho I was under the weather, this I have to say, was the best Tool performance I have been lucky enough to witness. The band, sound, visuals, and most of the crowd (except the two useless idoits that wanted to text and talk instead of enjoying the show, fuck heads!!) were all great. I thought last years Gammage show was awesome, this one put that show to a distant second. When everything goes just right, I think you get shows like last night, GOLD and definitely worthy of a DVD!!

For myself, I only wish I wasnt sick and had a reserved seat instead, but no matter, it was still the best Tool show I have ever been to. Oh yeah, saw Justin down by the soundboard just for a little bit checking out the opening band, that was pretty cool.

I hope AZ gets to see them one more time this tour, hopefully later in the year.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

Now that was a show!!! Eventho I was under the weather, this I have to say, was the best Tool performance I have been lucky enough to witness. The band, sound, visuals, and most of the crowd (except the two useless idoits that wanted to text and talk instead of enjoying the show, fuck heads!!) were all great. I thought last years Gammage show was awesome, this one put that show to a distant second. When everything goes just right, I think you get shows like last night, GOLD and definitely worthy of a DVD!!

For myself, I only wish I wasnt sick and had a reserved seat instead, but no matter, it was still the best Tool show I have ever been to. Oh yeah, saw Justin down by the soundboard just for a little bit checking out the opening band, that was pretty cool.

I hope AZ gets to see them one more time this tour, hopefully later in the year.
OFFLINE |  
Peanuts parents's Avatar Peanuts parents
05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

SET-LIST:
Jambi
Stinkfist (Album Version)
46&2
Schism (Extended Version)
Lost keys
Rosetta stoned

PUSHIT!!! (Aenema Version)

Wings
10K days
Lateralus (Extended with DC solo)
Vicarious
Aenema

AMAZING!!! The second time I have not been let down this tour. That was my 6th show this tour 9th over all and PUSHIT made my night the sound was great I had GA and was right in between the sound booth and center to the stage I had a few moments when the bass was killing my chest and I thought I was going to have to move but I just took it (It may have been the E).

All 4 members were on point just an overall great show Visuals were great the lasers were allot better that the two vegas shows . This was one show I am happy to have attended not to say I have ever not been happy at a Tool show but this was hands down my favorite show since the Lateralus tour.

Had a great crowd except I had mosh pits open up on both sides of me a few times and it was starting to piss me off cause I had to protect a girl that is 5'1" through out the whole beginning of pushit but when it slowed down so did the people. and I knew that shit wouldn't be happening during Wings 1&2. to all the people around me who started taking a bunch of flash photography during wings fuck you that is not cool. You could have fucked up the show, Maynard has requested several times through out this tour NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY during wings and 10K days.

Other than that perfect show for me. And the to rest of the crowd MAD-PROPS there was a very good energy flowing throughout the TCC arena I was lovin it. Also I couldn't get any herbal in but there was plenty of people around me willing to share so thank you to you as-well.

"AND THATS HOW WE DO IT IN ARIZONA"

Last edited by Peanuts parents; 05-07-2007 at 01:27 PM..
Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

SET-LIST:
Jambi
Stinkfist (Album Version)
46&2
Schism (Extended Version)
Lost keys
Rosetta stoned

PUSHIT!!! (Aenema Version)

Wings
10K days
Lateralus (Extended with DC solo)
Vicarious
Aenema

AMAZING!!! The second time I have not been let down this tour. That was my 6th show this tour 9th over all and PUSHIT made my night the sound was great I had GA and was right in between the sound booth and center to the stage I had a few moments when the bass was killing my chest and I thought I was going to have to move but I just took it (It may have been the E).

All 4 members were on point just an overall great show Visuals were great the lasers were allot better that the two vegas shows . This was one show I am happy to have attended not to say I have ever not been happy at a Tool show but this was hands down my favorite show since the Lateralus tour.

Had a great crowd except I had mosh pits open up on both sides of me a few times and it was starting to piss me off cause I had to protect a girl that is 5'1" through out the whole beginning of pushit but when it slowed down so did the people. and I knew that shit wouldn't be happening during Wings 1&2. to all the people around me who started taking a bunch of flash photography during wings fuck you that is not cool. You could have fucked up the show, Maynard has requested several times through out this tour NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY during wings and 10K days.

Other than that perfect show for me. And the to rest of the crowd MAD-PROPS there was a very good energy flowing throughout the TCC arena I was lovin it. Also I couldn't get any herbal in but there was plenty of people around me willing to share so thank you to you as-well.

"AND THATS HOW WE DO IT IN ARIZONA"

Last edited by Peanuts parents; 05-07-2007 at 01:27 PM..
OFFLINE |  
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi46n2 View Post
The amount of positive energy generated by this show was unfathomable. It spilled over into the parking lot. People still cheering as they were leaving the venue, I've never seen anything like that. Goddamn electric.

This was the greatest performance I've ever seen by any band ever. 6 Tool shows for me, around 500 concerts overall. I've seen every 'big' or 'classic' band (i.e. Who, Stones,Floyd,Rush,etc, who all charge MUCH more that the measly $40 I spent) and I never saw people react to music like on this fateful night. People jumping out of their seats at the end of songs. I've seen standing ovations, but never people so excited that they were literally jumping to their feet (if they were sitting, that is) This was really something special.

Vocals sounded great, although mixed low at times as others have pointed out, but I believe that was intentional, as in the Wings suite. Justin brought fucking thunder. The bass was so loud that, according to my girlfriend, it "made my eyeballs shake." Not loud in a "hey turn that down" way, more like "hell yeah! thats LOUD!" They did a good job managing all of the low end, at times it was bit much, although considering the three instruments working in the same sonic realm at times it really sounded as good as was humanly possible, in my opinion.

I would also like to add that parking was a mere $4. I forgot my directions to the venue, ended up parking within about 100 feet of the ramp to the North exit by pure luck, and was on the freeway heading back to Phoenix in no time. The stars alligned for me last night. Everything was perfect, even parking. I'm going to start attending more concerts on Tucson. Also, a big thank you to the folks at the show, I believe you (we) played and instrumental part in the show coming off so well. Everyone was well behaved, but by no means restrained. You CAN rock out without throwing things and pointing your silly little 'lasers' at the band.

Thanks to the crowd, and a huge thanks to Tool. VALUE.

If this show is coming to your town and you're possibly on the fence because you saw the last summer leg of this tour with MJK sick and were a little let down, this is the antidote.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #12

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi46n2 View Post
The amount of positive energy generated by this show was unfathomable. It spilled over into the parking lot. People still cheering as they were leaving the venue, I've never seen anything like that. Goddamn electric.

This was the greatest performance I've ever seen by any band ever. 6 Tool shows for me, around 500 concerts overall. I've seen every 'big' or 'classic' band (i.e. Who, Stones,Floyd,Rush,etc, who all charge MUCH more that the measly $40 I spent) and I never saw people react to music like on this fateful night. People jumping out of their seats at the end of songs. I've seen standing ovations, but never people so excited that they were literally jumping to their feet (if they were sitting, that is) This was really something special.

Vocals sounded great, although mixed low at times as others have pointed out, but I believe that was intentional, as in the Wings suite. Justin brought fucking thunder. The bass was so loud that, according to my girlfriend, it "made my eyeballs shake." Not loud in a "hey turn that down" way, more like "hell yeah! thats LOUD!" They did a good job managing all of the low end, at times it was bit much, although considering the three instruments working in the same sonic realm at times it really sounded as good as was humanly possible, in my opinion.

I would also like to add that parking was a mere $4. I forgot my directions to the venue, ended up parking within about 100 feet of the ramp to the North exit by pure luck, and was on the freeway heading back to Phoenix in no time. The stars alligned for me last night. Everything was perfect, even parking. I'm going to start attending more concerts on Tucson. Also, a big thank you to the folks at the show, I believe you (we) played and instrumental part in the show coming off so well. Everyone was well behaved, but by no means restrained. You CAN rock out without throwing things and pointing your silly little 'lasers' at the band.

Thanks to the crowd, and a huge thanks to Tool. VALUE.

If this show is coming to your town and you're possibly on the fence because you saw the last summer leg of this tour with MJK sick and were a little let down, this is the antidote.
OFFLINE |  
sergian
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Awesome show!!! This show evidenced that you can get high even without drugs...felt totally tripping just from the music, the lasers, the videos and the atmosphere, a feeling that lasted well until 3am!

If anyone has pics from this show, can you send some? PM me.

Peace!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show!!! This show evidenced that you can get high even without drugs...felt totally tripping just from the music, the lasers, the videos and the atmosphere, a feeling that lasted well until 3am!

If anyone has pics from this show, can you send some? PM me.

Peace!!!
OFFLINE |  
Detrean
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM

This show was amazing. I'm not going to say that it was my favorite show because Gammage was really special for me but it was right up there. I got there with a friend that I met on this board. I didn't have a ticket so I walked up to the booth and they gave me REALLY close seats. I was right by adam at stage level. My friend had GA tickets so I was alone. The first few songs I kind of just melted into it. They played the part of warming me up. By the time Schism was done I was into my trance and Rosetta Stoned just made me loose it. If anyone is reading this from section 123, my seat was J12 (Pink Floyd shirt), you guys were great. We were all feeding off of eachother. I tryied to do my best not to bump anyone. I'm sorry when I did. I was mouthing the words and rocking around wildly, I really felt the emotion of the songs right inside me. On the ride home I just reflected on how awesome the experience was that I had just had. I also got a new friend... the benefits of Tool are limitless.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was amazing. I'm not going to say that it was my favorite show because Gammage was really special for me but it was right up there. I got there with a friend that I met on this board. I didn't have a ticket so I walked up to the booth and they gave me REALLY close seats. I was right by adam at stage level. My friend had GA tickets so I was alone. The first few songs I kind of just melted into it. They played the part of warming me up. By the time Schism was done I was into my trance and Rosetta Stoned just made me loose it. If anyone is reading this from section 123, my seat was J12 (Pink Floyd shirt), you guys were great. We were all feeding off of eachother. I tryied to do my best not to bump anyone. I'm sorry when I did. I was mouthing the words and rocking around wildly, I really felt the emotion of the songs right inside me. On the ride home I just reflected on how awesome the experience was that I had just had. I also got a new friend... the benefits of Tool are limitless.
OFFLINE |  
povvy's Avatar povvy
05-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Third Tool show...

Even though I'm not into Tool as much as I once was, this show was great. The lasers really add a lot to the presentation -- especially since the effects varied from song to song. As for the tunes, Wings/10K was much better live than I expected and Pushit was a treat.

Patrick.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Third Tool show...

Even though I'm not into Tool as much as I once was, this show was great. The lasers really add a lot to the presentation -- especially since the effects varied from song to song. As for the tunes, Wings/10K was much better live than I expected and Pushit was a treat.

Patrick.
05-08-2007, 07:29 AM

Really enjoyed this show. I was nervous after last years show in Phoenix. It seemed to me from the minute they hit the stage Maynard was in good spirits and we were in for a great performance. I was disapointed that they didn't play Jambi last time so was happy they opened with it.

I must be getting old though. Halfway through 10k days I started feeling "trapped" in the crowd (maybe it was what I smoked during Pushit though) So my wife and I moved to the back of GA. It was nice back there, the view was still good because TCC is not that big, and I had a lot of room to relax. There was a guy in front of me, really getting into the show. Doing almost an "interpretive" dance to the music. I doubt anyone enjoyed the show as much as him. It was really cool to watch and got me more into the show. The dude was so into it he dropped his wallet and didn't notice. We picked it up and handed it to his girlfriend. (good karma)

Although it was a similar setlist to last years show, I enjoyed it more, I liked the order of the songs better and the overall mood at the show was better.

It was a great night.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Really enjoyed this show. I was nervous after last years show in Phoenix. It seemed to me from the minute they hit the stage Maynard was in good spirits and we were in for a great performance. I was disapointed that they didn't play Jambi last time so was happy they opened with it.

I must be getting old though. Halfway through 10k days I started feeling "trapped" in the crowd (maybe it was what I smoked during Pushit though) So my wife and I moved to the back of GA. It was nice back there, the view was still good because TCC is not that big, and I had a lot of room to relax. There was a guy in front of me, really getting into the show. Doing almost an "interpretive" dance to the music. I doubt anyone enjoyed the show as much as him. It was really cool to watch and got me more into the show. The dude was so into it he dropped his wallet and didn't notice. We picked it up and handed it to his girlfriend. (good karma)

Although it was a similar setlist to last years show, I enjoyed it more, I liked the order of the songs better and the overall mood at the show was better.

It was a great night.
OFFLINE |  
vastus medialis
05-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Fucking great show...that's how we do it in Arizona. I was about 15 feet from the stage, the closest I've ever been. The boys brought their A-game, and they were really into it. I loved when Maynard said "When you go home, don't fuck a relative, I know you're drunk, but pay attention."
Does anyone else get annoyed with guys that want to mosh at a Tool concert? I know some of their shit is heavy and energized, but these two guys were trying to mosh TO WINGS!!! FUCKING DUMBASSES!! It just pissed me off, but not enough to not enjoy the concert...great show!!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

Fucking great show...that's how we do it in Arizona. I was about 15 feet from the stage, the closest I've ever been. The boys brought their A-game, and they were really into it. I loved when Maynard said "When you go home, don't fuck a relative, I know you're drunk, but pay attention."
Does anyone else get annoyed with guys that want to mosh at a Tool concert? I know some of their shit is heavy and energized, but these two guys were trying to mosh TO WINGS!!! FUCKING DUMBASSES!! It just pissed me off, but not enough to not enjoy the concert...great show!!
OFFLINE |  
UnderÆnimatow
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Awesome show.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Awesome show.
OFFLINE |  
nootherway
05-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Wow. Second Tool show (the first being the just god-awful Street Scene in San Diego last year.....No security=BAD IDEA). Needless to say, a MUCH better experience. I was in the second row, right below Justin. To say I gained even more respect for him after seeing him live is an understatement.....He was incredible. Maynard didn't chat much, but he had a couple good ones. "Drive safe, be careful, don't fuck any relatives". There's just something about your favorite band (Tool) playing your favorite song (Pushit) in your hometown. Hope that next time the guys come around, we'll all be jamming along on the bay.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow. Second Tool show (the first being the just god-awful Street Scene in San Diego last year.....No security=BAD IDEA). Needless to say, a MUCH better experience. I was in the second row, right below Justin. To say I gained even more respect for him after seeing him live is an understatement.....He was incredible. Maynard didn't chat much, but he had a couple good ones. "Drive safe, be careful, don't fuck any relatives". There's just something about your favorite band (Tool) playing your favorite song (Pushit) in your hometown. Hope that next time the guys come around, we'll all be jamming along on the bay.
OFFLINE |  
base341
05-09-2007, 09:52 AM

"Good evening Dickheads"
Man this was a great show!! I was at the Reno show the week prior and had been bummed all week but this erased all of that.
Like it's been said already, the crowd was great which adds to the overall enjoyment of the show.
The sound was great, we were in the second row in the seats right next to Adam.

This was my 6th Tool show in the past 12 months, the only better performance for me was at the Paramount in Oakland last year, but only because the venue was so small and intimate. I flew out from Ca. to take my little brother to this show. It was his first time seeing Tool and he is now a fan.

I really liked seeing Pushit live, I hope they continue to rotate an older song or two into their shows. The crowd really went nuts when Maynard said "we're going to travel back in time now" or something like that.

Thank you Tool for continuing to inspire me with your music. I hope to see more shows before the tour ends

BTW, I saw alot of Pucifer shirts out there, mostly on hot girls, I wonder if Maynard will continue with APC after this tour or will take Pucifer on the road???

Last edited by base341; 05-09-2007 at 09:59 AM..
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

"Good evening Dickheads"
Man this was a great show!! I was at the Reno show the week prior and had been bummed all week but this erased all of that.
Like it's been said already, the crowd was great which adds to the overall enjoyment of the show.
The sound was great, we were in the second row in the seats right next to Adam.

This was my 6th Tool show in the past 12 months, the only better performance for me was at the Paramount in Oakland last year, but only because the venue was so small and intimate. I flew out from Ca. to take my little brother to this show. It was his first time seeing Tool and he is now a fan.

I really liked seeing Pushit live, I hope they continue to rotate an older song or two into their shows. The crowd really went nuts when Maynard said "we're going to travel back in time now" or something like that.

Thank you Tool for continuing to inspire me with your music. I hope to see more shows before the tour ends

BTW, I saw alot of Pucifer shirts out there, mostly on hot girls, I wonder if Maynard will continue with APC after this tour or will take Pucifer on the road???

Last edited by base341; 05-09-2007 at 09:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
art_C_me's Avatar art_C_me
05-09-2007, 09:57 AM

This was my third TOOL show. My first show was at Gammage last year in May. I thought that was good.... But this show blew that away. I was amazed with the visuals, but MORE with the sound. It was CRISP and the boys were all on que. I moved around a little bit to see Adam to the Left of the stage and then I moved again to see Justin and Danny on the other side. MJK was easy to spot from where ever I was standing................Gosh, I love the way he gets into the music and dances.... haa...
Anyway, I was proud to have attended this magnificent show. By far, of the three shows I've seen.........this was the topper. Thanks TOOL for an awesome and memorable show...................

Spiral Out, Keep Going FELLOW TOOLIES!!

Tosh
Old 05-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This was my third TOOL show. My first show was at Gammage last year in May. I thought that was good.... But this show blew that away. I was amazed with the visuals, but MORE with the sound. It was CRISP and the boys were all on que. I moved around a little bit to see Adam to the Left of the stage and then I moved again to see Justin and Danny on the other side. MJK was easy to spot from where ever I was standing................Gosh, I love the way he gets into the music and dances.... haa...
Anyway, I was proud to have attended this magnificent show. By far, of the three shows I've seen.........this was the topper. Thanks TOOL for an awesome and memorable show...................

Spiral Out, Keep Going FELLOW TOOLIES!!

Tosh
05-10-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscoop View Post
That's awesome. Like I said it helped me get into the show more. I started dancing along with you dude. lol Glad you enjoyed the show, it was a great one.
Right on dude im happy to have made it a little bit better of an experiance im not into the whole mosh bull-shit ESPECIALLY at a Tool show thats just wrong your supposed to soak it all in listen and watch what is happening in front of you.. Yea I have had the pleasure of getting to see them 6 times this 10K days tour, 3 included, GAMMAGE and both VEGAS shows where there were only 2,500 (VEGAS) and 3,000 (GAMMAGE) people at those shows and this one killed them all. I did get to see them do SWAMP SONG in Vegas but to me PUSHIT was way better I wanted to hear that song SO BAD live and we got it. I got to see them do the SALIVAL version back in 01 that was my favorite TOOL show I have ever been to period but this was for sure the best show I have seen since the lateralus tour hands down.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscoop View Post
That's awesome. Like I said it helped me get into the show more. I started dancing along with you dude. lol Glad you enjoyed the show, it was a great one.
Right on dude im happy to have made it a little bit better of an experiance im not into the whole mosh bull-shit ESPECIALLY at a Tool show thats just wrong your supposed to soak it all in listen and watch what is happening in front of you.. Yea I have had the pleasure of getting to see them 6 times this 10K days tour, 3 included, GAMMAGE and both VEGAS shows where there were only 2,500 (VEGAS) and 3,000 (GAMMAGE) people at those shows and this one killed them all. I did get to see them do SWAMP SONG in Vegas but to me PUSHIT was way better I wanted to hear that song SO BAD live and we got it. I got to see them do the SALIVAL version back in 01 that was my favorite TOOL show I have ever been to period but this was for sure the best show I have seen since the lateralus tour hands down.
OFFLINE |  
tomadde
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM

My first american Tool show. I was in the area, so we drove a couple of 100 miles to see em. Great audience. I was always told european audiences were a lot more enthousiast. Fuck that, i have never heard a crowd like this before!

Setlist was amazing! Pushit and 10,000 days really blew me away. Aswell as the light and lasershow that keeps getting bigger and better!

Only bad thing I can think of was the sound. Compared with the Belgian shows last year, the sound here was absolutely terrible.

PS : Lots of people laughing with my "TOOL, not the band ... i'm just a Tool" shirt from tshirthell.com :-)
Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

My first american Tool show. I was in the area, so we drove a couple of 100 miles to see em. Great audience. I was always told european audiences were a lot more enthousiast. Fuck that, i have never heard a crowd like this before!

Setlist was amazing! Pushit and 10,000 days really blew me away. Aswell as the light and lasershow that keeps getting bigger and better!

Only bad thing I can think of was the sound. Compared with the Belgian shows last year, the sound here was absolutely terrible.

PS : Lots of people laughing with my "TOOL, not the band ... i'm just a Tool" shirt from tshirthell.com :-)
OFFLINE |  
fortysix_and_tool's Avatar fortysix_and_tool
05-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde View Post

Glad you were lucky enough and willing to travel, to attend the Tucson show. : ) It was something special for sure. Yeah, lots of energy from the crowd and the band took notice, I'm sure.

The bass was hitting pretty good that night, I didnt mind tho, so it sounded great the whole night. I was down by the soundboard, maybe thats why??? No matter, it sounds like you had a good time too! : )
Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #24

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde View Post

Glad you were lucky enough and willing to travel, to attend the Tucson show. : ) It was something special for sure. Yeah, lots of energy from the crowd and the band took notice, I'm sure.

The bass was hitting pretty good that night, I didnt mind tho, so it sounded great the whole night. I was down by the soundboard, maybe thats why??? No matter, it sounds like you had a good time too! : )
OFFLINE |  
pscoop
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts parents View Post

I saw them do the Salival Pushit in 01 too, in Phoenix. That show probably is my favorite of the 4 I have seen, with this one in close second. I agree moshing at Tool does not seem right. I was happy we moved, being close was cool, but once I started getting claustrophobic I had to move. I really enjoyed the show from the back there.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts parents View Post

I saw them do the Salival Pushit in 01 too, in Phoenix. That show probably is my favorite of the 4 I have seen, with this one in close second. I agree moshing at Tool does not seem right. I was happy we moved, being close was cool, but once I started getting claustrophobic I had to move. I really enjoyed the show from the back there.
OFFLINE |  
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
05-12-2007, 11:20 AM

I loved the fact that they played Pushit. Wish they would have played a lot less from 10,000 days though. Blah. I think this is the last Tool concert I will go to...
I can honestly say I think they are now marketing towards kids who will blow 75 friggin dollars on a sweater just because it says Tool on it. Bullshit. I miss the Aenima days when they didn't seem so greedy.
This experience was awful. The girls behind me were dressed like slutty nurses covered in blood, morons, everywhere.
Other than that, thanks to Tool for playing 46&2 and Pushit, that's about all I can say....
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

I loved the fact that they played Pushit. Wish they would have played a lot less from 10,000 days though. Blah. I think this is the last Tool concert I will go to...
I can honestly say I think they are now marketing towards kids who will blow 75 friggin dollars on a sweater just because it says Tool on it. Bullshit. I miss the Aenima days when they didn't seem so greedy.
This experience was awful. The girls behind me were dressed like slutty nurses covered in blood, morons, everywhere.
Other than that, thanks to Tool for playing 46&2 and Pushit, that's about all I can say....
OFFLINE |  
floppa
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Well this was my first Tool show (longtime Tool fan), and I took my son to his very first concert. I selected Tool because I always want him to remeber what his first concert was. I have been coming here for the last 6 months reading the reviews of the concerts, and we basically knew what was coming. And after reading the Reno disaster I was very nervous.

Let me say I had a weird feeling when MAynard opened up before Jambi and said "Hello Dickheads" that he was in a good mood, and after Jambi played and he stated that "This is how we do it in Arizona" well he put me and the other 10,000 people at ease. In fact when he said that everyone seemed to ramp up their enthusiasm a notch and the band really got into it. The crowd was just amazing. Highlight for me was Stinkfist and Lateralus. Loved the comment after Lateralus about how they need to wrap up the show and get back to their internet porn! "There's some crazy Shit out there!"

I just wanted to thank the band for this being the best concert I have ever witnessed, I want to thank the Tucson crowd for being some of the best patrons I have ever been around. Oh and my son was just amazed, if they come back to AZ we will be going again. So glad I was their to witness this amazing show. Oh and thanks to the two girls 5 rows ahead of us that put on a show of their own.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Well this was my first Tool show (longtime Tool fan), and I took my son to his very first concert. I selected Tool because I always want him to remeber what his first concert was. I have been coming here for the last 6 months reading the reviews of the concerts, and we basically knew what was coming. And after reading the Reno disaster I was very nervous.

Let me say I had a weird feeling when MAynard opened up before Jambi and said "Hello Dickheads" that he was in a good mood, and after Jambi played and he stated that "This is how we do it in Arizona" well he put me and the other 10,000 people at ease. In fact when he said that everyone seemed to ramp up their enthusiasm a notch and the band really got into it. The crowd was just amazing. Highlight for me was Stinkfist and Lateralus. Loved the comment after Lateralus about how they need to wrap up the show and get back to their internet porn! "There's some crazy Shit out there!"

I just wanted to thank the band for this being the best concert I have ever witnessed, I want to thank the Tucson crowd for being some of the best patrons I have ever been around. Oh and my son was just amazed, if they come back to AZ we will be going again. So glad I was their to witness this amazing show. Oh and thanks to the two girls 5 rows ahead of us that put on a show of their own.
OFFLINE |  
Toolorjesus
05-14-2007, 11:42 PM

I've been waiting to write this, but it's at the point where all I want to say is: This was my third time seeing TOOL within about a year, and it was the best so far, which isn't much compared to those that saw them during the Lateralus tour. Anyways, Pushit was also amazing and I'm glad I got the chance to hear that.

And, everyone quit your bitching, why waste your time bitching about a band that has changed your life.

Sprial Out
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

I've been waiting to write this, but it's at the point where all I want to say is: This was my third time seeing TOOL within about a year, and it was the best so far, which isn't much compared to those that saw them during the Lateralus tour. Anyways, Pushit was also amazing and I'm glad I got the chance to hear that.

And, everyone quit your bitching, why waste your time bitching about a band that has changed your life.

Sprial Out
OFFLINE |  
chopsterboy
05-15-2007, 06:50 AM

This show was flawless in all aspects. The sound was excellent from where I was (lower bowl, directly opposite the stage). The video projections were incredible and mesmerizing. I was lucky enough to see the band in Mannheim, Germany in December (see previous tour reviews) but that show was somewhat lacking due to the standing room only warehouse-type venue that seemed beneath them, sketchy acoustics, and absence of video projection, etc. This time I purposefully chose what I thought would be a viewing location and it turned out to be much more powerful for me to be able to take it all in from a distance with clear sightlines rather than in the crush of stinky German humanity 10 feet from the stage with me in a Jack Daniels induced stupor. I was stone cold sober this time and I can safely say this was the best concert I’ve witnessed in my 30+ years of attending live concerts. At the end all four guys did the group hug thing and seemed to linger on stage for an extended time taking in the crowd reaction. A nice moment. I really think they felt like they just made some magic on this night. During the show Maynard was in fine spirits (“That’s how we do it in Arizona!”), his voice was clear and strong, Danny pounded the living fuck out of his drum kit (no bicep issues there), Adam was spot on, and Justin was his usual animal self providing the bottom. Overall the band was incredibly tight and sounding better than ever. Any issues from previous concert reviews should be laid to rest. Tool is back (they never really left) and ready to blow the roof off the rest of the country.

I only wish these guys would put out a killer live DVD package someday but maybe that wouldn’t be the Tool way. Always leave ‘em wanting more I guess. Keep the mystery alive and all that. But as a selfish fan I’d love to be able to revisit my concert experiences, except that I’d probably be in my underwear on the couch. I previously saw Tool on the Lateralus tour some 5 years ago and it was great at the time (I miss “The Grudge”!) but the setlist is much more complete these days. Sure, it would be nice if they would play for 4 hours and play everyone’s favorites but of course that would be impossible.

The day before Tool I was at the all-day outdoor KFMA Day at the Pima County Fairgrounds (Authority Zero, Silversun Pickups, The Bravery, Sum 41, Chevelle, Chris Cornell) and while that was a pretty good show with an interesting mix of talent, one day later I was personal witness to the vast chasm that exists between these somewhat pedestrian rock acts (apologies to Chris Cornell, you rule!) and the virtuosity that is Tool. I wonder if other musicians listen to or see Tool and say, “God damn, why do we even bother?” Well Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. Musical variety makes the world go ‘round, right?. But what a fucking show last night! One complaint, and it has nothing to do with the band, but with the boneheads who decide to make a beer run during Wings/10,000 Days. What a bunch of fucking losers. Not “metal” enough for them I guess. Stay the fuck home next time, stupid jackoffs. Must. Have. Beer… And $6.00 beers at that.

For you people down the road, get ready for the onslaught. I’m not one to travel all around and go to multiple shows so I’ll just tuck this one away in my faulty memory and try to pull it up when I need it and smile and just say “Yeah, that’s how they do it in Arizona”.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was flawless in all aspects. The sound was excellent from where I was (lower bowl, directly opposite the stage). The video projections were incredible and mesmerizing. I was lucky enough to see the band in Mannheim, Germany in December (see previous tour reviews) but that show was somewhat lacking due to the standing room only warehouse-type venue that seemed beneath them, sketchy acoustics, and absence of video projection, etc. This time I purposefully chose what I thought would be a viewing location and it turned out to be much more powerful for me to be able to take it all in from a distance with clear sightlines rather than in the crush of stinky German humanity 10 feet from the stage with me in a Jack Daniels induced stupor. I was stone cold sober this time and I can safely say this was the best concert I’ve witnessed in my 30+ years of attending live concerts. At the end all four guys did the group hug thing and seemed to linger on stage for an extended time taking in the crowd reaction. A nice moment. I really think they felt like they just made some magic on this night. During the show Maynard was in fine spirits (“That’s how we do it in Arizona!”), his voice was clear and strong, Danny pounded the living fuck out of his drum kit (no bicep issues there), Adam was spot on, and Justin was his usual animal self providing the bottom. Overall the band was incredibly tight and sounding better than ever. Any issues from previous concert reviews should be laid to rest. Tool is back (they never really left) and ready to blow the roof off the rest of the country.

I only wish these guys would put out a killer live DVD package someday but maybe that wouldn’t be the Tool way. Always leave ‘em wanting more I guess. Keep the mystery alive and all that. But as a selfish fan I’d love to be able to revisit my concert experiences, except that I’d probably be in my underwear on the couch. I previously saw Tool on the Lateralus tour some 5 years ago and it was great at the time (I miss “The Grudge”!) but the setlist is much more complete these days. Sure, it would be nice if they would play for 4 hours and play everyone’s favorites but of course that would be impossible.

The day before Tool I was at the all-day outdoor KFMA Day at the Pima County Fairgrounds (Authority Zero, Silversun Pickups, The Bravery, Sum 41, Chevelle, Chris Cornell) and while that was a pretty good show with an interesting mix of talent, one day later I was personal witness to the vast chasm that exists between these somewhat pedestrian rock acts (apologies to Chris Cornell, you rule!) and the virtuosity that is Tool. I wonder if other musicians listen to or see Tool and say, “God damn, why do we even bother?” Well Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. Musical variety makes the world go ‘round, right?. But what a fucking show last night! One complaint, and it has nothing to do with the band, but with the boneheads who decide to make a beer run during Wings/10,000 Days. What a bunch of fucking losers. Not “metal” enough for them I guess. Stay the fuck home next time, stupid jackoffs. Must. Have. Beer… And $6.00 beers at that.

For you people down the road, get ready for the onslaught. I’m not one to travel all around and go to multiple shows so I’ll just tuck this one away in my faulty memory and try to pull it up when I need it and smile and just say “Yeah, that’s how they do it in Arizona”.
OFFLINE |  
46andDrew
05-18-2007, 04:20 AM

12 days later, but better late than never. My first Tool show in GA and I'll never buy a seat again. Simply amazing. The boys were dialed in. Set list was awesome. Went to another place when they played 46&2. . . and I didn't need any drugs to do it (although I did have a fews drags from some guys behind me. thx). Can't agree with Chopsterboy more: other bands must feel a bit inadequate when they listen to or see a Tool show. But hey, if it wasn't for lesser bands we wouldn't fully realize the greatness of Tool.
Peanutsparents- you must have been near me in GA because I had to spend some time being a bodyguard for a 5'1 female when a mosh pit grew into our area. But screw it, nothing was going to ruin that night for me. And Toolorjesus, you're exactly right. This band has changed my life in regards to my outlook on certain things and increasing my curiosity.

THANK YOU TOOL!
PLEASE COME BACK TO AZ BAY SOON. . .
Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

12 days later, but better late than never. My first Tool show in GA and I'll never buy a seat again. Simply amazing. The boys were dialed in. Set list was awesome. Went to another place when they played 46&2. . . and I didn't need any drugs to do it (although I did have a fews drags from some guys behind me. thx). Can't agree with Chopsterboy more: other bands must feel a bit inadequate when they listen to or see a Tool show. But hey, if it wasn't for lesser bands we wouldn't fully realize the greatness of Tool.
Peanutsparents- you must have been near me in GA because I had to spend some time being a bodyguard for a 5'1 female when a mosh pit grew into our area. But screw it, nothing was going to ruin that night for me. And Toolorjesus, you're exactly right. This band has changed my life in regards to my outlook on certain things and increasing my curiosity.

THANK YOU TOOL!
PLEASE COME BACK TO AZ BAY SOON. . .
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply