schism
lost keys/rosetta stoned
PUSHIT (aenema version)
wings/10,000 days
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by paraflux; 05-03-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
2007/05/03 - San Diego, CA - Cox Arena

setlist:

jambi
stinkfist
46&2
schism
lost keys/rosetta stoned
PUSHIT (aenema version)
wings/10,000 days
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by paraflux; 05-03-2007 at 05:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM

.MJK: Deja vu

.. Or not- PUSHIT mother bitches!

Great show again. Probably the best I have seen of them but let me think about that. The vocals were crystal clear so props to their sound guy.

Oof- withdrawal time now.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: 2007/05/03 - San Diego, CA - Cox Arena

.MJK: Deja vu

.. Or not- PUSHIT mother bitches!

Great show again. Probably the best I have seen of them but let me think about that. The vocals were crystal clear so props to their sound guy.

Oof- withdrawal time now.
OFFLINE |  
mortiviventi
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM

pushit. as far as a review goes, that should suffice.

setlist:

jambi
stinkfist
46&2
schism
lost keys/rosetta

PUSHIT!!!!!!!! (aenema version)

wings/10kdays
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

edit: actually i feel i should mention maynard's scream during stinkfist as well. bad. ass.

Last edited by mortiviventi; 05-03-2007 at 10:49 PM..
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

pushit. as far as a review goes, that should suffice.

setlist:

jambi
stinkfist
46&2
schism
lost keys/rosetta

PUSHIT!!!!!!!! (aenema version)

wings/10kdays
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

edit: actually i feel i should mention maynard's scream during stinkfist as well. bad. ass.

Last edited by mortiviventi; 05-03-2007 at 10:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
aventari's Avatar aventari
05-03-2007, 10:46 PM

Tonight was very good. Pushit is all I have to say.

The sound and concert was perfect as usual, but the crowd didn't seem into it as much as last night, at least around me. To the stupid girl next to me in section CCC with the fake tattoo sleeve shirt, and her blackberry open and recording the whole time, FUCK YOU. Seeing a bright LCD in your peripheral vision the whole night is quite distracting and takes away from the experience.
If I would've realized it was bothering others as much as it did me, I would've called security instead of just surreptitiously elbowing you as much as possible. .

At least there was no laser pointer guy :)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Tonight was very good. Pushit is all I have to say.

The sound and concert was perfect as usual, but the crowd didn't seem into it as much as last night, at least around me. To the stupid girl next to me in section CCC with the fake tattoo sleeve shirt, and her blackberry open and recording the whole time, FUCK YOU. Seeing a bright LCD in your peripheral vision the whole night is quite distracting and takes away from the experience.
If I would've realized it was bothering others as much as it did me, I would've called security instead of just surreptitiously elbowing you as much as possible. .

At least there was no laser pointer guy :)
OFFLINE |  
Poolzer's Avatar Poolzer
05-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Man, seeing pushit tonight made going the 2nd night so worth it. I thought it was actually louder and the crowd was more into the music tonight, than the rowdy (lets rock!) drunk crowd of last night. Thought the band was a lot more into it as well, Maynard chatted up a bit "anyone here from LA? Well this is san di-fucken-ego, hope you left your egos at home, no VIPS here!" (something like that). "Heres one we haven't done in awhile" {pushit}, but not as chatty at the end last last night. He faced the wall only a bit on one song, rather than parts of a few and 1/2 of aenema last night and was a dancing fool, with his shirt wrapped up so it was like a bikini top for the closure. Danced all night long really.

Saw a couple laser pointers early on and yeah, think they got caught quick. Security was a lot more strict (that I saw) tonight, they were roaming the isles and busting people for using their cell phone cameras and smoking like champs!

Great overall show, very worth while going to both and soaking in the magic of it all.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
SAR DeathCheater (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 3

Man, seeing pushit tonight made going the 2nd night so worth it. I thought it was actually louder and the crowd was more into the music tonight, than the rowdy (lets rock!) drunk crowd of last night. Thought the band was a lot more into it as well, Maynard chatted up a bit "anyone here from LA? Well this is san di-fucken-ego, hope you left your egos at home, no VIPS here!" (something like that). "Heres one we haven't done in awhile" {pushit}, but not as chatty at the end last last night. He faced the wall only a bit on one song, rather than parts of a few and 1/2 of aenema last night and was a dancing fool, with his shirt wrapped up so it was like a bikini top for the closure. Danced all night long really.

Saw a couple laser pointers early on and yeah, think they got caught quick. Security was a lot more strict (that I saw) tonight, they were roaming the isles and busting people for using their cell phone cameras and smoking like champs!

Great overall show, very worth while going to both and soaking in the magic of it all.
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM

"think of us as a cover band"

pushit begins

fucking awesome also loved the LA comment, badass.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

"think of us as a cover band"

pushit begins

fucking awesome also loved the LA comment, badass.
OFFLINE |  
TFAN
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM

i could hear the vocals better tonight and it seemed louder but i dont know if this is because i was floor instead of last row in the back.......

i am honored that i got to go to both nights.... it was amazing.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

i could hear the vocals better tonight and it seemed louder but i dont know if this is because i was floor instead of last row in the back.......

OFFLINE |  
OpenYour3rdEye
05-03-2007, 11:52 PM

Did you guys see Maynard following Saturn around on screen during Rosetta Stoned? Thought that was great =) Also, did anyone notice that each of the band members were bathed in blue light during Wings/10k while Maynard was all alone? Very symbolic. Overall, the show was fucking great. Best Tool show I've seen (out of four, including street scene which was bleh).
Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Did you guys see Maynard following Saturn around on screen during Rosetta Stoned? Thought that was great =) Also, did anyone notice that each of the band members were bathed in blue light during Wings/10k while Maynard was all alone? Very symbolic. Overall, the show was fucking great. Best Tool show I've seen (out of four, including street scene which was bleh).
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
05-03-2007, 11:55 PM

Excellent show. Loved Push It. The LA rant went something like this. Maynard. Who drove down from LA? Crowds cheers. Maynard. Well this is San Diego. Keep your Hollywood Bullshit. There no VIPs here tonight.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Excellent show. Loved Push It. The LA rant went something like this. Maynard. Who drove down from LA? Crowds cheers. Maynard. Well this is San Diego. Keep your Hollywood Bullshit. There no VIPs here tonight.
OFFLINE |  
limitlesss
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM

My first show and I'm amazed at it. Was kind of hoping for right in two but hearing pushit was better. Atleast the laser pointer went away after the start of Jambi, and the highlights for me being lateralus and pushit...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

My first show and I'm amazed at it. Was kind of hoping for right in two but hearing pushit was better. Atleast the laser pointer went away after the start of Jambi, and the highlights for me being lateralus and pushit...
OFFLINE |  
spicolli's Avatar spicolli
05-04-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFAN View Post

same here... I was row 34 bench seats last night... Scored floor tickets today at 5pm! sooooo stoked.. As soon as i hear him say "think of us as a cover band." i got all giddy, with the thought of a possible No Quarter? Oh boy what a surprise it was to here Pushit... Ahhhhh sooooo amazing. Couldnt have asked for a better song to just plain ROCK too.

The lasers lookg 423452908x better from the floor than they do from the side!

and yea, it seemed like Maynard was a bit more active tonight than last....

All in all, im SUPER STOKED i was able to go both nights... Even if it was the same exact set list tonight as last i still woulda been amped. But PUSHIT, oh my fucking god.. They played Pushit!!!!!!!!
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFAN View Post

same here... I was row 34 bench seats last night... Scored floor tickets today at 5pm! sooooo stoked.. As soon as i hear him say "think of us as a cover band." i got all giddy, with the thought of a possible No Quarter? Oh boy what a surprise it was to here Pushit... Ahhhhh sooooo amazing. Couldnt have asked for a better song to just plain ROCK too.

The lasers lookg 423452908x better from the floor than they do from the side!

and yea, it seemed like Maynard was a bit more active tonight than last....

All in all, im SUPER STOKED i was able to go both nights... Even if it was the same exact set list tonight as last i still woulda been amped. But PUSHIT, oh my fucking god.. They played Pushit!!!!!!!!
"Ever heard of Jesus, or Buddha, or Christna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then there agents, started trying to make some money on em, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This songs about those agents."
OFFLINE |  
Miss.Selfdestruct's Avatar Miss.Selfdestruct
05-04-2007, 12:39 AM

OMG, that was fucking amazing!!! i was hoping to finally hear Right in 2 but i got PUSHIT instead. this may possibly be the best Tool show i've experienced right next to Lateralus. very glad they added those extra screens and the Grey screen in the back. they've really improved those visuals. i don't think i'll ever get tired of Jambi, it just kicks so much ass live. Pushit really pushed everyone over the edge. it was such a peak that for the first time 10kdays really fucking hit me and i just couldn't hold back a few tears(my grandma died recently and was a huge influence to me and so Wings 1&2 make me think of her). the laser/smoke fx were so trippy. the hole thing was like a combination of an oncoming orgasm and spiritual experience for me. all thanks to the superb sound and gnarly visuals.

last words: if Tool performed every bloody sunday somewhere, i might become religious =P

Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 05-04-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

OMG, that was fucking amazing!!! i was hoping to finally hear Right in 2 but i got PUSHIT instead. this may possibly be the best Tool show i've experienced right next to Lateralus. very glad they added those extra screens and the Grey screen in the back. they've really improved those visuals. i don't think i'll ever get tired of Jambi, it just kicks so much ass live. Pushit really pushed everyone over the edge. it was such a peak that for the first time 10kdays really fucking hit me and i just couldn't hold back a few tears(my grandma died recently and was a huge influence to me and so Wings 1&2 make me think of her). the laser/smoke fx were so trippy. the hole thing was like a combination of an oncoming orgasm and spiritual experience for me. all thanks to the superb sound and gnarly visuals.

last words: if Tool performed every bloody sunday somewhere, i might become religious =P

Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 05-04-2007 at 12:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Cavalier1
05-04-2007, 01:11 AM

A lot of reviews so far have been about "Push It" for this show, but also buzzworthy (and not mentioned too much) about the San Diego show, (and all shows from here on out) is the premier of the new stage design and visuals for this tour. I didnt see to many posts from Reno and Vegas about the new look of Tool for this tour. Visuals with music at Tool concerts in my opinion (and probably many others) is such a great part of a Tool show. For those of you wondering what you might "see" (visually) with this tour, compared to last tour, I'll try to explain here.

First, from this show in San Diego, the band has delivered on their promise for a visually larger stage show for this tour, compared to the first one we all saw in the first 10,000 days tour. Cox Arena was a great venue for this. Visual changes include two large 20x20 foot screens on each side of the stage, (much like the Lateralus tour in 2001-2002 we all loved so much). Also present, are new laser/ light visuals during Wings/10,000 Days that are very Pink Floyd- like. A large silk curtain hangs above the stage, which displays various images, until ultimately showing the 10,000 Days "Heads" design. Look closely at this silk curtain above the stage, and you will notice the head design is 3-D. Similarities from last tour: the four smaller screens behind the band, about 8x10 feet return. Each screen showing the great video accompaniments (with new video to some songs, from the work of Adam Jones and probably Chet Zar among others) . Stage floor, projects these images we see behind the band on the four small screens. Also crossing over from last tour, we see the 3 large circular laser projectors/lights that come down from the rafters. Last tour, these came down during Lateralus. Now these come down during the "Intermission" period of the show, in a way that is very "outer space" like. We see them project images around the arena for each song thereafter.

Overall, for all you Arizonians, midwesterners and east coasters now receiving this great band as it moves across the country, from their latest shows here in San Diiego, this tour, visually Tool is like we remember. From reading past posts of Vegas and Reno, I know some of you were wondering about this, and I hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool Visuals for this Tour

A lot of reviews so far have been about "Push It" for this show, but also buzzworthy (and not mentioned too much) about the San Diego show, (and all shows from here on out) is the premier of the new stage design and visuals for this tour. I didnt see to many posts from Reno and Vegas about the new look of Tool for this tour. Visuals with music at Tool concerts in my opinion (and probably many others) is such a great part of a Tool show. For those of you wondering what you might "see" (visually) with this tour, compared to last tour, I'll try to explain here.

First, from this show in San Diego, the band has delivered on their promise for a visually larger stage show for this tour, compared to the first one we all saw in the first 10,000 days tour. Cox Arena was a great venue for this. Visual changes include two large 20x20 foot screens on each side of the stage, (much like the Lateralus tour in 2001-2002 we all loved so much). Also present, are new laser/ light visuals during Wings/10,000 Days that are very Pink Floyd- like. A large silk curtain hangs above the stage, which displays various images, until ultimately showing the 10,000 Days "Heads" design. Look closely at this silk curtain above the stage, and you will notice the head design is 3-D. Similarities from last tour: the four smaller screens behind the band, about 8x10 feet return. Each screen showing the great video accompaniments (with new video to some songs, from the work of Adam Jones and probably Chet Zar among others) . Stage floor, projects these images we see behind the band on the four small screens. Also crossing over from last tour, we see the 3 large circular laser projectors/lights that come down from the rafters. Last tour, these came down during Lateralus. Now these come down during the "Intermission" period of the show, in a way that is very "outer space" like. We see them project images around the arena for each song thereafter.

Overall, for all you Arizonians, midwesterners and east coasters now receiving this great band as it moves across the country, from their latest shows here in San Diiego, this tour, visually Tool is like we remember. From reading past posts of Vegas and Reno, I know some of you were wondering about this, and I hope this helps.
OFFLINE |  
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
05-04-2007, 01:28 AM

My first time seeing pushit live...fucking amazing! Rest of the set was awesome, especially the little jam in Lateralus.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

My first time seeing pushit live...fucking amazing! Rest of the set was awesome, especially the little jam in Lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
Kaoticz
05-04-2007, 05:36 AM

Great show! Probably up there with as the best I've seen. As soon as I heard him say "Think of us as a cover band", I thought No Quarter was coming on. To my suprise, Pushit, which is much better. A couple of complaints for me though:

They didnt play the little breakdown during Stinkfist, which I absolutely LOVE.

During 10000 days / Wings, the crowd around me was talking WAYY too much. Some bitch in front of me even said "this is boring" and screamed "WHOOOOOOOOOOO" every other 2 minutes, which almost prompted me to kick her in back of her fucking head and watch her go down the staircase (I was in an asile seat).

Maynard didnt scream "VICARIOUSLY I!!!! LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES!!!" during Vicarious, which is understandable. He was probably worn out from the show, but It would have been nice to here. I always get chills from that part.

Other than that, great show. Every song was well executed. Plus, for once, they didnt play sober. Thank god.

Kaoticz
Old 05-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Great show! Probably up there with as the best I've seen. As soon as I heard him say "Think of us as a cover band", I thought No Quarter was coming on. To my suprise, Pushit, which is much better. A couple of complaints for me though:

During 10000 days / Wings, the crowd around me was talking WAYY too much. Some bitch in front of me even said "this is boring" and screamed "WHOOOOOOOOOOO" every other 2 minutes, which almost prompted me to kick her in back of her fucking head and watch her go down the staircase (I was in an asile seat).

Maynard didnt scream "VICARIOUSLY I!!!! LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES!!!" during Vicarious, which is understandable. He was probably worn out from the show, but It would have been nice to here. I always get chills from that part.

Other than that, great show. Every song was well executed. Plus, for once, they didnt play sober. Thank god.

Kaoticz
OFFLINE |  
Cavalier1
05-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoticz View Post

Kaoticz
............I also agree about the Stinkfist extended segment. I miss that breakdown right before the lyrics "I 'll keep digging". But.... with the new extended version of Lateralus being played the past two nights, (and at Reno and Vegas), I think it more than fulfills that void. Its fucking great to see that the band has given Danny his own break on tour to improvise and show the crowd his skills. This percussion breakdown, is quite unexpected during Lateralus, which in turn, makes it a great listen.

Me being a percussionist, I loved to see that. Being close to the stage tonight in row 4 , on Justin's side, gave me a great view of not only Justin's playing, but Danny's intensity on set.

....The quote from Maynard at the May 2nd show ( I saw both San Diego shows) concerning Wings/10, 000 Days: " A song about a/my dead mother, and all you do is yell and drink beer" Dude... I know how you feel. Maybe this quote shoud be printed on your heel, and left as a permanent mark on this persons forehead, after you kick her. Just to remind her.... Liike "Unity" was on Charlie Murphy's head after Rick James punched him. In my opinion, I too think this song deserves the respect of us all when we hear it at shows. I try to respect (in some ways those who find it as a bore). .I just hope everyone understands its meaniing in their own way. They think for themsleves about it. I applaud Maynard for saying a feeling he had about it.... San Diego seemed to understand Maynard's quote. Many in the section I was sitting in (Section A) for the May 2nd show, sat down and took in the song and visuals in their own way. Maynard asks us to "think for ourselves". Even though this song reflects a single, identifiable person in his mother, we can still reflect on it in our lives.. ..

For those few who that treat the song as a piss break, beer run, or something else during the show, its cool, your decision...good music ,good times right, and maybe this song does bore you But it seemed in San Diego that aside from a small amount of "beer yellers", this was respected by the majority of people. For its meaning, or whatever the crowd felt during the song, it was a nice atmospehere to feel connected to the music.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoticz View Post

Kaoticz
............I also agree about the Stinkfist extended segment. I miss that breakdown right before the lyrics "I 'll keep digging". But.... with the new extended version of Lateralus being played the past two nights, (and at Reno and Vegas), I think it more than fulfills that void. Its fucking great to see that the band has given Danny his own break on tour to improvise and show the crowd his skills. This percussion breakdown, is quite unexpected during Lateralus, which in turn, makes it a great listen.

Me being a percussionist, I loved to see that. Being close to the stage tonight in row 4 , on Justin's side, gave me a great view of not only Justin's playing, but Danny's intensity on set.

....The quote from Maynard at the May 2nd show ( I saw both San Diego shows) concerning Wings/10, 000 Days: " A song about a/my dead mother, and all you do is yell and drink beer" Dude... I know how you feel. Maybe this quote shoud be printed on your heel, and left as a permanent mark on this persons forehead, after you kick her. Just to remind her.... Liike "Unity" was on Charlie Murphy's head after Rick James punched him. In my opinion, I too think this song deserves the respect of us all when we hear it at shows. I try to respect (in some ways those who find it as a bore). .I just hope everyone understands its meaniing in their own way. They think for themsleves about it. I applaud Maynard for saying a feeling he had about it.... San Diego seemed to understand Maynard's quote. Many in the section I was sitting in (Section A) for the May 2nd show, sat down and took in the song and visuals in their own way. Maynard asks us to "think for ourselves". Even though this song reflects a single, identifiable person in his mother, we can still reflect on it in our lives.. ..

For those few who that treat the song as a piss break, beer run, or something else during the show, its cool, your decision...good music ,good times right, and maybe this song does bore you But it seemed in San Diego that aside from a small amount of "beer yellers", this was respected by the majority of people. For its meaning, or whatever the crowd felt during the song, it was a nice atmospehere to feel connected to the music.
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM

BY FAR THE BEST TOOL SHOW I HAVE SEEN!!!

The band was spot-on. The sound was awesome, especially in a round cement venue. Their sound system and crew are the best. The playing was impeccable. The energy was mind-altering and the band was feeding off it. The crowd around me was real fans and way into it. At one point, the guy next to me, who I did not know, simply turned to me and smiled. His wife was obviously not feeling well (no, not drunk, but something else), so credit to her for sticking it out. I stood there thinking, "Am I really seeing and hearing this?" By the way, at the end of the LA quote, Maynard said "......VIP's, BITCH. I loved the last quote too, "You do not need to go home, but you cannot stay here." Yes, I noticed Maynard "dancing" with Saturn; very cool. The extra drumming on a few songs was incredible and fit well. To anyone with a bad review of this show you obviously had your eyes, ears, AND MIND, closed.

I was speechless about the show until I could relive it this morning and formulate some thoughts. I am sure more will come to me.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

BY FAR THE BEST TOOL SHOW I HAVE SEEN!!!

The band was spot-on. The sound was awesome, especially in a round cement venue. Their sound system and crew are the best. The playing was impeccable. The energy was mind-altering and the band was feeding off it. The crowd around me was real fans and way into it. At one point, the guy next to me, who I did not know, simply turned to me and smiled. His wife was obviously not feeling well (no, not drunk, but something else), so credit to her for sticking it out. I stood there thinking, "Am I really seeing and hearing this?" By the way, at the end of the LA quote, Maynard said "......VIP's, BITCH. I loved the last quote too, "You do not need to go home, but you cannot stay here." Yes, I noticed Maynard "dancing" with Saturn; very cool. The extra drumming on a few songs was incredible and fit well. To anyone with a bad review of this show you obviously had your eyes, ears, AND MIND, closed.

I was speechless about the show until I could relive it this morning and formulate some thoughts. I am sure more will come to me.
OFFLINE |  
chunga
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM

Getting ready to leave San Diego after two incredible shows. I was suppose to leave yesterday but decided to stay for night 2 and was able to get a seat outside for under face value. Anyways, two of the best, if not the best, Tool shows I have seen and this was about the 10th or so time for me. I thought the band was tremendous both nights and the San Diego crowds were great both nights except for the few meatheads who are always unavoidable at a show that size. Both nights were sold out. These will go down as some of the best shows of the 10,000 Days tour, without a doubt. Hope someone was taping.

Last edited by chunga; 05-04-2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Getting ready to leave San Diego after two incredible shows. I was suppose to leave yesterday but decided to stay for night 2 and was able to get a seat outside for under face value. Anyways, two of the best, if not the best, Tool shows I have seen and this was about the 10th or so time for me. I thought the band was tremendous both nights and the San Diego crowds were great both nights except for the few meatheads who are always unavoidable at a show that size. Both nights were sold out. These will go down as some of the best shows of the 10,000 Days tour, without a doubt. Hope someone was taping.

Last edited by chunga; 05-04-2007 at 09:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM

We're wasting time with those guys. Anyone who wants to freely bash on Maynard can go here

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=82240

As for those of us who were there and know the deal, I too am still reeling from just how great last night was. That was my 4th Tool show in 7 days and it was the best. I sort of missed having someone with similar energy around me, but as I said earlier, I don't think I have ever heard an arena sound so good, especially from a vocal standpoint. And I ain't no youngster! Seen over 100 shows, many of those big concerts.

One cool thing I did last night was as soon as Ænema ended, I bolted up the stairs to avoid the crowd. Looking down on the stage floor they had projected the 10,000 Days face. Man that looked spectacular!

Oh, and good post there, Cavalier1.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

We're wasting time with those guys. Anyone who wants to freely bash on Maynard can go here

As for those of us who were there and know the deal, I too am still reeling from just how great last night was. That was my 4th Tool show in 7 days and it was the best. I sort of missed having someone with similar energy around me, but as I said earlier, I don't think I have ever heard an arena sound so good, especially from a vocal standpoint. And I ain't no youngster! Seen over 100 shows, many of those big concerts.

One cool thing I did last night was as soon as Ænema ended, I bolted up the stairs to avoid the crowd. Looking down on the stage floor they had projected the 10,000 Days face. Man that looked spectacular!

OFFLINE |  
krzymom's Avatar krzymom
05-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Fuckin' Pushit!!! Amazing....Thurs. night was incredible!! Wed. night was great but something seemed a little off. But nonetheless great!! Plus, last night I got Danny's gatorade bottle that he threw out and the nights set list.... I need another show!!! But I'm back home in Az. and get to see them Sunday.... Wed. I was in the front row directly in front of Adam and last night in the 2nd row center stage..... By the way the people in front of me in the 1st row never even moved or mouthed a lyric...I'm not sure they even knew who they were there to see.... Ashame the seats could have been used for actual fans!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Fuckin' Pushit!!! Amazing....Thurs. night was incredible!! Wed. night was great but something seemed a little off. But nonetheless great!! Plus, last night I got Danny's gatorade bottle that he threw out and the nights set list.... I need another show!!! But I'm back home in Az. and get to see them Sunday.... Wed. I was in the front row directly in front of Adam and last night in the 2nd row center stage..... By the way the people in front of me in the 1st row never even moved or mouthed a lyric...I'm not sure they even knew who they were there to see.... Ashame the seats could have been used for actual fans!!
Cavalier1
05-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post

...........Yeah, I feel like you. From these two shows I feel spoiled. Seemed like Reno was such a letdown from the majority of posts.... I believe this show was the Tool we love. Seen them for over 10 years now. I was looking for a show this time around that would match that intensity, and particularly visual experience of Lateralus 2001-2002. Those others of you who feel the same way, the band will give you your wish with this tour.

Just moved to California from the east coast, (mid atlantic in particular) I remember how hard it was to wait for the band to come around to Maryhland or Virginia after 30 shows and three months into tour. Hearing reviews of others and know how hard it was to wait, all the time. But from being here now, you guys in the midwest and back east will probably have a greater experience....all the spoils to you brothas and sisters. as the band will be so refined by the time they reach you. They definitely were tight tonight, with just 4 shows under their belts for practice. Maybe you all will get the long awaited CD/DVD recording one night.....
you never know...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post

...........Yeah, I feel like you. From these two shows I feel spoiled. Seemed like Reno was such a letdown from the majority of posts.... I believe this show was the Tool we love. Seen them for over 10 years now. I was looking for a show this time around that would match that intensity, and particularly visual experience of Lateralus 2001-2002. Those others of you who feel the same way, the band will give you your wish with this tour.

Just moved to California from the east coast, (mid atlantic in particular) I remember how hard it was to wait for the band to come around to Maryhland or Virginia after 30 shows and three months into tour. Hearing reviews of others and know how hard it was to wait, all the time. But from being here now, you guys in the midwest and back east will probably have a greater experience....all the spoils to you brothas and sisters. as the band will be so refined by the time they reach you. They definitely were tight tonight, with just 4 shows under their belts for practice. Maybe you all will get the long awaited CD/DVD recording one night.....
you never know...
OFFLINE |  
Peanuts parents's Avatar Peanuts parents
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM

Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

OFFLINE |  
Peanuts parents's Avatar Peanuts parents
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier1 View Post

They Have the same stage set up they had in Vegas and Reno they just used this stage over seas also so it is really nothing new. I have seen them 5 times this tour and every show I went to had the screens on the side's of the stage. The only difference from this stage and the last one they used is instead of the the whole stage being a screen they put the four behind them back up from the (mini tour/coachella and other festivals) but wide screen and lost the lights they had hanging behind them to replace it with a backdrop.I have yet to have the feelings I had during the lateralus tour so far this compares in no way
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Tool Visuals for this Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier1 View Post

They Have the same stage set up they had in Vegas and Reno they just used this stage over seas also so it is really nothing new. I have seen them 5 times this tour and every show I went to had the screens on the side's of the stage. The only difference from this stage and the last one they used is instead of the the whole stage being a screen they put the four behind them back up from the (mini tour/coachella and other festivals) but wide screen and lost the lights they had hanging behind them to replace it with a backdrop.I have yet to have the feelings I had during the lateralus tour so far this compares in no way
OFFLINE |  
05-04-2007, 12:12 PM

I was at both Vegas shows as well and the visuals did vary between those shows and the SD shows. There were new visuals at the SD shows. The setup itself (two screens to either side, the screen behind, and the floor projection) were basically the same, but it was used to better effect in SD. The lasers also had a bigger impact in SD than Vegas, mostly due to the size of the venue and the fact that those lasers can shoot a long long way, thus creating a bigger spectacle. Also, the visuals that were used on the floor projection appeared to be different than what I remembered them using in Vegas.

It's actually very hard to compare the SD shows to the Vegas shows on many levels. I wasn't at Reno so I can't comment about that one. Much like some of you apparently were not at the SD shows, yet are still commenting in this thread.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

I was at both Vegas shows as well and the visuals did vary between those shows and the SD shows. There were new visuals at the SD shows. The setup itself (two screens to either side, the screen behind, and the floor projection) were basically the same, but it was used to better effect in SD. The lasers also had a bigger impact in SD than Vegas, mostly due to the size of the venue and the fact that those lasers can shoot a long long way, thus creating a bigger spectacle. Also, the visuals that were used on the floor projection appeared to be different than what I remembered them using in Vegas.

It's actually very hard to compare the SD shows to the Vegas shows on many levels. I wasn't at Reno so I can't comment about that one. Much like some of you apparently were not at the SD shows, yet are still commenting in this thread.
OFFLINE |  
waldomero
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM

damn,i fucking hate myself. i missed the 2nd night this sucks
Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

damn,i fucking hate myself. i missed the 2nd night this sucks
OFFLINE |  
Elazarus
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM

I came form the UK mainly for the Coachella festival, but went to the Tool concert for the first night 'cos I had a few extra days. Really wish my flight wasn't on thursday, am gutted I couldn't go to the 2nd night to see them perform Pushit. Especially the Salival version!!! much better than the ænema version.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

I came form the UK mainly for the Coachella festival, but went to the Tool concert for the first night 'cos I had a few extra days. Really wish my flight wasn't on thursday, am gutted I couldn't go to the 2nd night to see them perform Pushit. Especially the Salival version!!! much better than the ænema version.
OFFLINE |  
Cavalier1
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM

I hope that some people reading these posts, from the first five shows, can now understand some of what they will see, visually. Hence the reason for my visual post. I am glad others are coming into this, to share their thoughts. I was one of the curious ones about this same question when Tool played Vegas and Reno last week. Besides set list, I was hoping to hear something about their stage setup. I hope us on the West Coast or from last tour in Austrailia and Japan, can shed some light on what you will see. As far as that Lateralus 2001-2002 feeling all over again, yes personally I felt that. But again, as you all see the shows think for yourselves,, whats going on. I think thats what the band wants us to do.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

I hope that some people reading these posts, from the first five shows, can now understand some of what they will see, visually. Hence the reason for my visual post. I am glad others are coming into this, to share their thoughts. I was one of the curious ones about this same question when Tool played Vegas and Reno last week. Besides set list, I was hoping to hear something about their stage setup. I hope us on the West Coast or from last tour in Austrailia and Japan, can shed some light on what you will see. As far as that Lateralus 2001-2002 feeling all over again, yes personally I felt that. But again, as you all see the shows think for yourselves,, whats going on. I think thats what the band wants us to do.
OFFLINE |  
Miss.Selfdestruct's Avatar Miss.Selfdestruct
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts parents View Post
i have no idea when they added these 2 xtra screens and the backdrop. all i recall from the first leg of 10kdays tour here in the US is that they only used those screens in back of them. nothing else. i dont remember them using the stage floor either. i went to 2 of those dates(fresno&L.A.) and wasn't impressed much. and i agree with all of you. the visuals and extra screens made all the difference. last night's show was what i had expected from them last year. i haven't been that impressed with Tool since i saw them during Lateralus. i can hardly wait to hear from other fans as this tour progresses.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Tool Visuals for this Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts parents View Post
i have no idea when they added these 2 xtra screens and the backdrop. all i recall from the first leg of 10kdays tour here in the US is that they only used those screens in back of them. nothing else. i dont remember them using the stage floor either. i went to 2 of those dates(fresno&L.A.) and wasn't impressed much. and i agree with all of you. the visuals and extra screens made all the difference. last night's show was what i had expected from them last year. i haven't been that impressed with Tool since i saw them during Lateralus. i can hardly wait to hear from other fans as this tour progresses.
OFFLINE |  
mattone
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Amazing show--
My fourth time seeing them..better and better every time and always amazing energy. They never disappoint.
I even got a nice little parting gift courtesy of Adam (he threw it), Danny (he used it), and the guy on my left (bad hand eye coordination)

check the link--

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2287180520101246683oTAZxa
Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show--
My fourth time seeing them..better and better every time and always amazing energy. They never disappoint.
I even got a nice little parting gift courtesy of Adam (he threw it), Danny (he used it), and the guy on my left (bad hand eye coordination)

check the link--

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2287180520101246683oTAZxa
OFFLINE |  
TOOLEYE
05-04-2007, 04:51 PM

And who can forget about the smoke spiraling through the lasers during Lateralus? Fucking amazing. Maynard's scream in Stinkfist was sweet. Shows that he still can when he wants to. Great shows.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #30
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

And who can forget about the smoke spiraling through the lasers during Lateralus? Fucking amazing. Maynard's scream in Stinkfist was sweet. Shows that he still can when he wants to. Great shows.
05-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLEYE View Post
Maynard's scream in Stinkfist was sweet.
Thanks for reminding me! I know someone else also mentioned it earlier. I've seen nine shows so far this tour and he had never done that. That scream was from the abyss. Nice to know he can still belt it out when he is warmed up.

Also, I thought Pushit was one of the songs Maynard wasn't supposed to be able to do anymore (according to a few posters around here)? Welp, it was perfect. He not only nailed it, but the band as a whole sounded like they have been playing it all along. I guess it has been used to sound check quite a bit and that's probably why it was so tight.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-04-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLEYE View Post
Maynard's scream in Stinkfist was sweet.
Thanks for reminding me! I know someone else also mentioned it earlier. I've seen nine shows so far this tour and he had never done that. That scream was from the abyss. Nice to know he can still belt it out when he is warmed up.

Also, I thought Pushit was one of the songs Maynard wasn't supposed to be able to do anymore (according to a few posters around here)? Welp, it was perfect. He not only nailed it, but the band as a whole sounded like they have been playing it all along. I guess it has been used to sound check quite a bit and that's probably why it was so tight.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-04-2007 at 05:15 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Theres No Love in Fear's Avatar Theres No Love in Fear
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Man dude such an awesome concert. I was in the nosebleeders (BNCH T) with a bunch of non-Tool fans who were somewhat lame, and I was the most energetic guy in my section. What a waste of tickets -_-.

Police was there. GAY! Luckily they didnt do too much police-y shit. Security was really gay though, had my cell phone out during Wings for Marie, and she took it away thinking i was taking pictures (mine isnt even a camera fone) she gave it back realizing it wasnt a camera fone. But still it was gay.

PUSHIT! PUSHIT! PUSHIT! Did I mention Pushit?! Completely spontaneous. Haven't played this for a long time. I was hella shocked and completely amped.

Thought Maynard would be somewhat hateful towards San Diego after the whole Street Scene Incident. BUt it turns out it was quite opposite. He was definitely more friendly. Saying "Thank Yous" and making fun of LA. GOod Show

Best show ever. Period.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Man dude such an awesome concert. I was in the nosebleeders (BNCH T) with a bunch of non-Tool fans who were somewhat lame, and I was the most energetic guy in my section. What a waste of tickets -_-.

Police was there. GAY! Luckily they didnt do too much police-y shit. Security was really gay though, had my cell phone out during Wings for Marie, and she took it away thinking i was taking pictures (mine isnt even a camera fone) she gave it back realizing it wasnt a camera fone. But still it was gay.

PUSHIT! PUSHIT! PUSHIT! Did I mention Pushit?! Completely spontaneous. Haven't played this for a long time. I was hella shocked and completely amped.

Thought Maynard would be somewhat hateful towards San Diego after the whole Street Scene Incident. BUt it turns out it was quite opposite. He was definitely more friendly. Saying "Thank Yous" and making fun of LA. GOod Show

Best show ever. Period.
OFFLINE |  
silva4253
05-06-2007, 12:32 AM

overall great show and i had great seats. sound was excellent and maynard sang well. danny as usual with newly recovered arm played great and so did the rest of the band. my only issue is that they seemed to be rushing through the latter part of the set which bothered me a little. i got this vibe that maynard seemed to be rushing things. i also will agree that the crowd was as enthusiastic as i expected. maybe they got the same vibe. any way great show and tool remember you can play in san bernadino, riverside, and la again. my problem is they play a couple shows in so cal and then disappear for far to long. peace
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

overall great show and i had great seats. sound was excellent and maynard sang well. danny as usual with newly recovered arm played great and so did the rest of the band. my only issue is that they seemed to be rushing through the latter part of the set which bothered me a little. i got this vibe that maynard seemed to be rushing things. i also will agree that the crowd was as enthusiastic as i expected. maybe they got the same vibe. any way great show and tool remember you can play in san bernadino, riverside, and la again. my problem is they play a couple shows in so cal and then disappear for far to long. peace
OFFLINE |  
clearly_insane
05-06-2007, 10:56 AM

i drove 13 hours south from Oregon to see these guys at this show, and it was fucking amazing!!!! i had pretty damn good seats and was just floored by the performance. Increadible, increadible. I can't wait for them to come back again, hopefully a little closer (reno was sold out)

I've seen them once in Denver (Temple Buel Theater), once in San Diego, plus a shitty time in Sacramento last fall where the driver got lost and we missed pretty much the whole show. While i don't have tons of experience to draw on, i would say that this was the best show i've seen them put out.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

i drove 13 hours south from Oregon to see these guys at this show, and it was fucking amazing!!!! i had pretty damn good seats and was just floored by the performance. Increadible, increadible. I can't wait for them to come back again, hopefully a little closer (reno was sold out)

I've seen them once in Denver (Temple Buel Theater), once in San Diego, plus a shitty time in Sacramento last fall where the driver got lost and we missed pretty much the whole show. While i don't have tons of experience to draw on, i would say that this was the best show i've seen them put out.
OFFLINE |  
Alpha_Bitch's Avatar Alpha_Bitch
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM

My buddy and I flew in from St Louis for the May 3rd show and sat 2nd row directly in front of Justin (seats 10-13). Yea thats 4 seats bitches. We scanned the crowd for an hour prior to the gates opening to find two hot girls to sit with us. The financial anal raping we enjoyed from the scalpers was worth every penny when we saw the look of female euphoria on the faces of our instant dates. We are going to be executing that plan again soon. I highly recommend it.

I drum. I've revered Danny since 1992, but the sonic diamonds coming from Justin during this show has altered me forever about not only the bass guitar, but Justin himself. I was like 15 feet from him and made so much eye contact it was sick. I felt as if i could levitate at times. His chug-a-chug-back-and-forth jaw motion when his soul was erupting through his fingers is rabid and beautiful. I will never forget it. It was as if I heard every song for the first time.

Justin Chancellor summed up in one word? Fuckshow.....
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

My buddy and I flew in from St Louis for the May 3rd show and sat 2nd row directly in front of Justin (seats 10-13). Yea thats 4 seats bitches. We scanned the crowd for an hour prior to the gates opening to find two hot girls to sit with us. The financial anal raping we enjoyed from the scalpers was worth every penny when we saw the look of female euphoria on the faces of our instant dates. We are going to be executing that plan again soon. I highly recommend it.

I drum. I've revered Danny since 1992, but the sonic diamonds coming from Justin during this show has altered me forever about not only the bass guitar, but Justin himself. I was like 15 feet from him and made so much eye contact it was sick. I felt as if i could levitate at times. His chug-a-chug-back-and-forth jaw motion when his soul was erupting through his fingers is rabid and beautiful. I will never forget it. It was as if I heard every song for the first time.

Justin Chancellor summed up in one word? Fuckshow.....
OFFLINE |  
TOOLEYE
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM

another nice suprise was when adam played the guitar instead of the voicebox during rosetta stoned. I don't know if that will be the way he does for the rest of the tour, but it was badass.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #36
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

another nice suprise was when adam played the guitar instead of the voicebox during rosetta stoned. I don't know if that will be the way he does for the rest of the tour, but it was badass.
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM

When I heard "pretend we are a cover band", I immediatly thought No Quarter, but the opening riff to Pushit was even better. Definately the best part of the night. Wings was magical, but some bitch in front of me wouldnt stop screaming and laughing. Fucking drunk whore. Uh hm, anyway, great show. Fantastic stage and laser effects. Thank god they left Sober out for once, I cant stand that song live anymore.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

When I heard "pretend we are a cover band", I immediatly thought No Quarter, but the opening riff to Pushit was even better. Definately the best part of the night. Wings was magical, but some bitch in front of me wouldnt stop screaming and laughing. Fucking drunk whore. Uh hm, anyway, great show. Fantastic stage and laser effects. Thank god they left Sober out for once, I cant stand that song live anymore.
OFFLINE |  
tyler48
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM

went to both sd shows and second show was definently better for me. they were both flawless, but there was just something different about the second show that blew my mind. i never thought id get to hear pushit live, so that was a nice surprise and it sounded amazing. but the san diego fans suck. im not sure if it was because it was on a college campus and just a bunch of frat guys or what, but the crowd definently lacked energy. everyone around me was either sitting down the entire show or standing with their arms crossed and a pissed off look on their face. and no one around me seemed to get stoked when they went into pushit, or even acted like they knew what it was for that matter. they didnt give tool the applaud they deserved after that amazing performance.
oh ya, and maynards scream during stinkfist, totally unexpected but it was so good, gave me the chills.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

went to both sd shows and second show was definently better for me. they were both flawless, but there was just something different about the second show that blew my mind. i never thought id get to hear pushit live, so that was a nice surprise and it sounded amazing. but the san diego fans suck. im not sure if it was because it was on a college campus and just a bunch of frat guys or what, but the crowd definently lacked energy. everyone around me was either sitting down the entire show or standing with their arms crossed and a pissed off look on their face. and no one around me seemed to get stoked when they went into pushit, or even acted like they knew what it was for that matter. they didnt give tool the applaud they deserved after that amazing performance.
oh ya, and maynards scream during stinkfist, totally unexpected but it was so good, gave me the chills.
OFFLINE |  
mortiviventi
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler48 View Post

i know exactly what you mean man. hardly ANYONE reacted after his scream during stinkfist, i thought i was hearing what i wanted to hear or hallucinating or something. from that scream on i knew it was going to be a really good performance but everyone around me just thought nothing of it. the same thing happened when they started pushit. i could hardly breathe and was standing there saying "oh my fucking god. no way. no way." the people next to me looked at me like i was crazy... then again one of them seemed to be there for vicarious and nothing else so...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler48 View Post

i know exactly what you mean man. hardly ANYONE reacted after his scream during stinkfist, i thought i was hearing what i wanted to hear or hallucinating or something. from that scream on i knew it was going to be a really good performance but everyone around me just thought nothing of it. the same thing happened when they started pushit. i could hardly breathe and was standing there saying "oh my fucking god. no way. no way." the people next to me looked at me like i was crazy... then again one of them seemed to be there for vicarious and nothing else so...
OFFLINE |  
Phosphorescent Button's Avatar Phosphorescent Button
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM

I've been to 3 Tool shows since the start of this tour: both San Diego shows and the first Los Angeles show (debut of Wings). This May 3rd San Diego show easily gets the award for best show in my book, followed closely by the LA show back in September.

I'd have to say that the second SD show was twice as good as the first. Sure that's a bold statement bound to invoke jealousy from those that only went to the first one, but its true.

The first show certainly wasn't bad by any means, but the dynamic was off. From the band's end, it seemed like they played it safe. No real surprises and a little too "canned". The crowd dynamic probably played a big part of it. 80% of the attendees were frat boys from San Diego State. No alcohol was served at the show. A room packed full of frat boys and no beer is bound to cause issues. I'm sure the remnants of the Reno show had an effect too.

The second show was essentially a 2 hour orgasm. Utter perfection. The band had really let loose on the second day and that vibe seemed to translate over the crowd. The crowd in general seemed to be far more involved this time around. Maybe its because the frat boys bought all the tickets to show 1, forcing more of the fans to come to show 2.

The peak of the evening was definately PUSHIT. I remember the moment so well. After Maynard said they were going to try something they haven't played in a while, the excitement started to buzz around the arena. When that distinctive intro to PUSHIT started, the crowd went f**ing nuts. Cheers, screams, hell yeahs, no f**ing ways, and various explitives made the rounds in anticipation of this masterpiece. The execution was completely flawless considering this Aenema version probably hadn't been played live in a decade. I loved singing along with this one. Combined with several controlled substances, I reached a state of euphoria unreachable by any means other than a Tool show.

It's nice to see Tucson got Pushit as well. Just changing the one song on the setlist was enough to push this show over the envelope. Hopefully the band will be bold enough to add in some of their other "cover band" songs in the future rather than just cycling between Pushit and Right in Two.

The other highlight of the night was extended Lateralus. Here's a great 7 minute video from that exact performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5I5MVXQumA
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

I've been to 3 Tool shows since the start of this tour: both San Diego shows and the first Los Angeles show (debut of Wings). This May 3rd San Diego show easily gets the award for best show in my book, followed closely by the LA show back in September.

I'd have to say that the second SD show was twice as good as the first. Sure that's a bold statement bound to invoke jealousy from those that only went to the first one, but its true.

The first show certainly wasn't bad by any means, but the dynamic was off. From the band's end, it seemed like they played it safe. No real surprises and a little too "canned". The crowd dynamic probably played a big part of it. 80% of the attendees were frat boys from San Diego State. No alcohol was served at the show. A room packed full of frat boys and no beer is bound to cause issues. I'm sure the remnants of the Reno show had an effect too.

The second show was essentially a 2 hour orgasm. Utter perfection. The band had really let loose on the second day and that vibe seemed to translate over the crowd. The crowd in general seemed to be far more involved this time around. Maybe its because the frat boys bought all the tickets to show 1, forcing more of the fans to come to show 2.

The peak of the evening was definately PUSHIT. I remember the moment so well. After Maynard said they were going to try something they haven't played in a while, the excitement started to buzz around the arena. When that distinctive intro to PUSHIT started, the crowd went f**ing nuts. Cheers, screams, hell yeahs, no f**ing ways, and various explitives made the rounds in anticipation of this masterpiece. The execution was completely flawless considering this Aenema version probably hadn't been played live in a decade. I loved singing along with this one. Combined with several controlled substances, I reached a state of euphoria unreachable by any means other than a Tool show.

It's nice to see Tucson got Pushit as well. Just changing the one song on the setlist was enough to push this show over the envelope. Hopefully the band will be bold enough to add in some of their other "cover band" songs in the future rather than just cycling between Pushit and Right in Two.

The other highlight of the night was extended Lateralus. Here's a great 7 minute video from that exact performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5I5MVXQumA
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply