opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/01/28 - Melbourne, AUS - Princes Park

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
The Pot
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/28 - Melbourne, AUS - Princes Park

Wow..

As good as I knew it would be.

Shame I couldn't enjoy the first 2 songs, because of the crush - assholes!

I really like the effort the band put into reworking the older songs, and I hope they are back later in the year, since I missed tix to the Wednesday gig.

THE GONG HIT IN LATERALUS was MASSIVE!

- did anyone else feel that one ?!

I think Sober was the highlight, it just seemed really powerful.

Nice to see Danny chop out in nearly every song too, since I'm a drummer..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist: Melbourne Big Day Out 28/01/2007

Stinkfist [extended middle]
Swamp Song
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism [extended]
The Pot
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima

I dont know if it was just me but the crowd seemed really quiet the whole night. Maynard repetedly said Sydney was louder. But was probably just trying to get the crowd amped. Was great to see Tool again, but I'm really looking forward to Wednesday. A crowd just for Tool will really show the love.

EDIT: Maynard didn't even sing the 2nd half of Vicarious.

Last edited by JizzyMcJizz; 01-28-2007 at 06:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

This was my first Tool show. All I can say is I hope Wednesday night is better...

The Big Day Out crowd was fucking terrible. Between losers creating a massive crush where I was for no reason (front row behind the D), people making circle pits (wtf?) and the crowd being generally quiet and not very interested - it made for a pretty weak set.

Tool played alright, but what the hell was with Maynard not singing the last half of Vicarious? It was almost like he couldn't be bothered (he went to put his jacket on and get a drink?). The rest of the set was quite good though, the lighting and screens were amazing.

I'm glad I have tickets for Wednesday night though. I think with a Tool-fan only crowd, the vibe should be a lot better.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by DeVo; 01-28-2007 at 06:17 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Fairly sure I spotted a laser pointer on Maynard towards the end of Lateralus. From then on he turned his back to the audience, and only sang half the lyrics to Vicarious. Good work Melbourne. Fuckheads nearly killed all of us behind the D, first time I've ever had to be pulled out, couldn't breathe at all. Noticed a couple of girls in tears, while the knuckleheads yelled "It's Tool, not Beastie Boys, EVERYONE PUSH!".

Wtf.

Could tell Maynard wasn't impressed with the crowd when he mocked everyone with the \m/ at the end of Vicarious rather than actually sing. Sad that the crowd continued with their antics and even cheered him on, somehow oblivious to what was really going on.

Last edited by Couch; 01-28-2007 at 06:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

I thought Tool performed better than at the Sydney BDO. Sound was definitely a bit better and Nard was singing a LOT better. In Sydney he croaked his way through The Pot and it was the second song. Crowds were comparable at both shows - everyone is tired at the end of the day.

I stayed up the back as yes, the crowd WAS very tightly packed even behind the D barrier and yes, people were being stupid. We saw a nasty fight which had one guy end up with blood streaming down his face.

I noticed MJK didnt sing the last half of Vicarious but couldn't see any reason why. And i figured he put his jacket on cause he was cold, the wind was pretty icy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It was brilliant, but I think Wednesday is going to be better. For one I won't be crushed! 6 hours holding my position at the front only to have retards crowd surfing and getting kicked in the head. Couldn't hear Maynard singing, pretty sure because of my position at the front. They all looked like they enjoyed themselves though and gave a group hug at the end.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

I was up near front middle of the D and the crowd was ridiculous. I got out during 46&2 and went round the back of the D where it became apparant the sound was MUCH better and while people were moshing there too there was no real crush. I think you got a better view of the light show there as well. I was impressed with the set, very glad to hear swamp song. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday, and I think music bowl having the seats at the front could actually work to it's advantage after seeing this show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
art
Level 4 - Thinker

I sat out the back, outside of the bigdayout, behind the the two mainstages because i didn't have a ticket. It sounded awesome and there were no retards to annoy me. Stuff going to the big day out, pity i didn't get to see all the lasers, but lasers are lasers ay. Stayed till the beginning of Jambi coz my my friends were cold and wanted to bail, but must say Swamp Song was a surprise and what i heard was played flawlessly. Will probably do the same at Wednesdays show unless free tickets fall into my lap somehow...

Last edited by art; 01-28-2007 at 03:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

I planned to stay right up the back of the D so I could see Muse on the other stage before Tool, and also to avoid the mosh. I'm sick of moshes after all these years and they completely sap my enjoyment of the show. It was an awesome place to watch from. Sound was great, crowd was great - energetic but not retarded - and the view was incredible

The set was amazing. Swamp song was great to hear, the extended Schism is nice, and the little changes in other older tracks like 46 & 2 and Lateralus were awesome. From what I've read about Maynard's voice at other shows, I'm guessing the end of Vicarious was just an effort to save his voice. Pointing the mike stand out to the crowd was a nice rock'n'roll touch.

It may have been a bit of a 'greatest hits' kind of setlist, but that's what a show like BDO needs. We should get Rosetta and 10K Days on Wednesday, which will make me oh so very happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh - what was with Nard dedicating The Pot to Serena Williams?! is she a fan or was that just one of his usual weird on stage comments?

Also did anyone watch Peaches (who was awesome) Nard and Justin watched the whole set side stage.

Last edited by white horse; 01-28-2007 at 04:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

First Tool show in four and a half years (and only my second overall) and I was pretty disappointed. I got into the D barrier at about 7 after queuing for almost an hour and watched the second half of Jet (for positioning purposes I assure you). Got to about 15-20 rows directly in front and listened to Muse (who I guess provided alright background music).

Anyway, the disappointment about the show for me starts and ends with the terrible bunch of morons who make up the massive majority of Tool's fans here in Melbourne. No, they are not just 'BDO dickheads' as most of them were constantly talking about how much they can't wait for Wednesday. Shoving and crushing, plus screaming the lyrics to every song and drowning out the one guy who could ACTUALLY sing ruined quite a few songs in my opinion. Some people where I was just wanted to listen and dance and what not but the majority were complete shitheads.

Having had my massive bitch though, I have to say the band sounded great on most songs. Swamp Song, Jambi, and the final three were all exceptionally good. Maynard fucked with the vocal timing on certain songs which threw the shitheads even more out of time. Saw the laser pointer on him during Lateralus which was another example of the intelligence level of this crowd. Adam was in great form. I was directly in front of him for the second half and I loved the talk-box solo. The gong in Lateralus was great! Shook the ground! The ambient-jam-intro to Vicarious was also cool though again, people think that anything not at high volumes means start talking really loudly and yelling what song they want to hear. I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of the visuals and the laser, which had got a lot of crap recently. I thought they were spot on. I got the first hand to one of the drum sticks but missed it. I was pretty cut at myself for that…

Overall the crowd obviously brought down my enjoyment significantly so I’m going to hang back on Wednesday and just enjoy the music without having to deal with that sort of people again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by white horse View Post
Oh - what was with Nard dedicating The Pot to Serena Williams?! is she a fan or was that just one of his usual weird on stage comments?

Also did anyone watch Peaches (who was awesome) Nard and Justin watched the whole set side stage.
Saw all of Peaches set (couldn't see Nard or Justin from where I was though). I thought she was great. Put on a hell of a show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome set, first time i've seen tool and they were everything i expected. I was about 10 rows from the front pretty close to the middle. I thought the crush was bearable but getting kicked 10 times in the head from crowd surfers during Aenima pissed me off. I couldn't hear much of Maynards vocals from where i was but the show was still amazing. the blue light stuff into Vicarious was cool, Danny was goign nuts all night, Lateralus was awesome but then again i loved every song they played. Can't wait for wednesday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, yesterday was my first tool live experience and I was looking forward to it. First BDO too. Guess I have a lot to learn - like, an hour and a half before set opens is clearly too late to get into D entry. Ended up getting shoved further around the side of Blue Stage, where the sound was FUCKING TERRIBLE, and where I could only see Adam crunching away. From where I stood, the music lacked the crisp dynamics I was anticipating, so the extended sessions just sounded messy, and the lasers looked naff - only caught a tiny glimpse of the projection screen material: could someone let on what was happening visually? Not enough 10k Days tunes, though Lateralus and Reflection *were* incredible. Huge disappointment - wish I had tix for Wednesday. Oh well. Definitely won't go and see them at anything that is not their own concert in future. And was a bit pissed off by how clinically the show was ended (after the group hug - I could just hear them saying, 'Well, glad that's over - shall we give em another? Nah...' - the floodlights were shone right in everyone's faces and a swarm of roadies swept through like nanobots to break it all down superfast.)

Come back, won't you, Tool?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineal View Post
Saw all of Peaches set (couldn't see Nard or Justin from where I was though). I thought she was great. Put on a hell of a show!
they were on the left, i noticed justin's hair first!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 255

We started about 10 from the front of the D, but moved back to about 20 once the morons started. Spectacular view- we had a virtually unimpeded view of everything, and (amazingly) weren't shoved around. So for us, it was an AMAZING experience.

Lights/Lasers/Visuals were amazing-can't wait for Wednesday.

Sound was ok-BDO sounds usually average. Yeah, the PPL screaming at the top of their voice drowned out Maynard, which sucked.

Setlist was *exactly* as expected.

Maynard's voice cracked towards the end of The Pot- anyone else notice this?

Had to tell off a bunch of fucking idiots with cameras-FFS, if I wanna watch Tool thru a 2inch screen, I'll go to youtube, thanks.

And special thanks to the 2 bimbos who shoved through during Lateralus- you fucked the song of the night, bitches.

Not the first time I've seen 'em, so wasn't so amazed by how good they were.

Sorry to everyone who got pushed/shoved/kicked/screwed over by the arseholes.

Masocist9-I think we might of been near each other- what do you look like?
I was the chick who kept telling PPL off- I was wearing a black corset, long black skirt (which ended up torn to shreds) and long black gloves.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

black short curly hair with a black ac dc shirt, about 6 foot tall can't say i saw ya but probably were pretty close
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 995

First BDO and time seeing tool, we made our way to about 10 metres away from the D barrier and was packed in as fark, but it comes with the experience.

The sound was pretty good, although i felt as the sound got better during the show, but that could've been the band...eh who knows.

The setlist was awesome and really got the crowd pumping, it was a suprise to see how many tool fans were at the BDO, and everyone i could see singing the lyrics, it made for a great atmosphere. It really hit me though in lateralus, everything came together, the lasers were great..lol everything was great

The people around us were pretty good, there wasn't really a crush or a push or anything, but we did see a potential fight, but that was settled within seconds thankfully...

to my suprise i saw my older brother just outside the D aswell, i hadn't seen him all day and there he was with a couple of freinds, a great place to randomly meet up...

had a great day and can't wait til wednesday!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Firstly I would like to say I have been going to gigs, always near the front of the mosh since I was 13. I am 25. Not once have I ever had to be pulled out, even in violent crowds. Like the others here I suddenly realised if I wanted to even get INTO tge mosh full stop I have to line up at 6pm. the LINE was a mosh pit in itself. After suffering through jet, they finally let some of us in (after an hour) and I squished my way to around 6 rows from the front. It was so squashed I couldnt breathe and most of the other girls were crying and had to be pulled out. I waited for the hours it took, starving thirsty, all organs collapsing but happy. The second they came out some assholes, I assume behind us pushed really hard and i kept falling over and being completely crushed. Although I really didnt want to get out of there I had a strange sense I was going to be killed, and I couldnt focus on the music. Usually I find this sh*t funny but it wasnt. I got a ciggie thrown at my neck and have a massive burn. Finally some guys helped my crowdsurf to the front to get out, not realising i couldnt back into the mosh after. So not only did I waste two songs with the ambos. FOr the rest of the set I could barely hear (I was so far back I could have been in china) or see anything. And the worst. Everyone around me wouldnt stop talking over the music.

First time I am glad I got seats on wednesday. Awesome set. Horrible crowd, or no crowd control, I couldnt tell. Shocking sound quality (not tool, just the general quality).
I was really upset since I have waited for this for so long, but I guess well..it is BDO :-)
And I have my golden tickets for wednesday!

~infinitereality
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

If archaeologists dig up my mobile phone a thousand years from now and scan through my outbox they'll find a text message that reads: "stink swamp 46 jam schism pot sober lateral vicarious aenema", and that should be enough to generate a few decades' worth of conspiracy theories and flood myths.

But we all know what it means hey. Yes, Tool, amazing, unbelievable, brilliant as usual. Couldn't fault them at all. Maynard didn't sing the best bit of Vicarious. Oh well, he does that sometimes (I remember him seemingly saving his voice on one of the high parts of Judith one night, too). Nothing I can add about how good they were that hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of people haven't already said througout these concert reviews over the years. I love how uncool and nerdy it is these days to still be talking about how awesome Tool are, how unfashionable they have become. And yet, they come back and play live and it becomes obvious straight away that no one can fuck with them, they are the best, that's it. If you haven't seen 'em live, you just don't know the full story about how great Tool are, end of story.

I have to add my voice to the chorus of condemnation of dickheads in the crowd. Most of what I would say has been covered but there is one thing desperately lacking: GET OFF HIS FUCKING SHOULDERS!!!!

What the fuck is it with girls (and some boys too) getting up on a guy's shoulders so they can see better???? When the fuck did this start being acceptible?? Previous BDO's it wasn't tolerated, the girl was previously shouted down with chants of "get down dick-head, get down dick-head". Now they all just do it and if you're behind them, it's just too bad. Way to go genius, you can now see better at the expense of ten people who have been waiting here to get a good view for an hour, who now can't see at all. It's the height of selfishness. I'm sorry you're not taller. Blame God. But don't completely block my view, please. If I wanted to look at a bunch of girls' asses I'd have gone to the Men's Gallery. For fuck's sake.

What's worse is when you get two or three of them who are friends all get up on their boyfriends' shoulders and sit there in a line bopping along to the music. Yeah, awesome, rock on, girls! I know I sure paid $120 to stare at your backs while my favorite band is playing right behind you! I hope you all get bottled.

*exhale* gosh I feel better getting that off my chest.

Probably my last Big Day Out. I've been to about ten and I promised two years ago that nothing short of Tool would get me back. Well, that's happened now, and that's that.

Like Maynard said, see ya Wednesday!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 995

did adam fuck up the start of jambi?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

nice dude, I totally agree. I am a girl and I still TOTALLY AGREE. If you are short, go to the FRONT!!!! YOU BITCHES stole my view and didnt suffer for it at all!!!! :-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

In my opinion the "D" barrier sucks, after hunting around for a spot that I thought might give me a view of the band and the screen (so much for that!) I ended up a couple back from the barrier on the ORANGE stage. I understand why they have the D barrier for surging crowd reasons, security etc. But those on the other side would not have realised that the whole front orange area was totally empty. People were even sitting on the ground in there while we were gasping for a glimpse behind the barrier. Surely the people spending all afternoon in the sun with no food, water, toilet (!) are an issue as well.
BTW Tool still rocked.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninwishes View Post

Setlist was *exactly* as expected.

Maynard's voice cracked towards the end of The Pot- anyone else notice this?
he was worse on The Pot at the Sydney BDO. in face his signing was subpar there in general. maybe he was vocally tired from their own show the night before, I dunno.

i wouldnt say the setlist was exactly as expected, hearing Swamp Song that early was a bit of a surprise.

The D barrier has generally worked fine at past BDOs. The new entry system is the problem, it's unsafe. They should probably also clear it every few bands to let others in.

and yeah whats with people who spend the whole show filming on a shitty phone camera? "Wow see that blurry shit that's Tool!" i'm all for taking snaps but geez, you're not going to see much from most mobile phone cams.

Last edited by white horse; 01-28-2007 at 09:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show!! They were amazing, i did the same as a couple of you, lined up for the d for an hour and got in halfway through jet. Stayed up the back though and just leant against the rails for the whole show, avoided the assholes and had an awesome view. Sound was fine where i was too. Loved the whole show, the setlist, lighting, screens, everything.
Overall had an great experience, first time i have seen tool live. Only complaint was the hundreds of morons trying to jump the barrier to get in the d. If you weren't patient enough to line up and wait to get a good view then put up with it ya dicks!
Have to admit though, i was one of the assholes singing my lungs out, couldnt help it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #27
Procurer Of Pigeon Eggs

Bincount™: 2488

This was my 4th Big Day Out and most likely be my last.

Tool were great, but their performance was almost outshone by the sheer number of selfish, impatient and thick headed people who swamped the performance.
I along with others was crushed for about 10 - 20 minutes while in line for the entrance to the D barrier, this was on top of the hour and fifteen minutes i was in line. To the fucking meat heads who pushed and shoved not giving a shit about the people around you...

Fuck you.

Everyone around you is in the same situation, so shut up with your fucking whining and belligerent attitudes and start showing some fucking respect and common sense you primitive fucking apes. A little patience wouldn't go astray either.

Tool were great apart from the few hick-ups and the delay. But I didn't appreciate the music as much as i would have liked, I spent the first half of stinkfist trying to stay vertical, (I've got nothing against moshing, just not the hyper aggressive death circles and other unnecessary shit) and later on was trying to see past people blocking the view with cameras, mobile phones and their own fat asses. Because these interruptions and intrusions at he BDO, I am really looking forward to seeing Tool on Wednesday where I can sit down and really enjoy the show without everyone getting on my nerves.

I laughed when Maynard put his jacket back on, I think he was getting cold.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyepic View Post
did adam fuck up the start of jambi?
Yes he did, was a bit worrying for a moment there but once they sorted themselves out it was great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

yes, waiting for Tool to come on we could hear many a cry of "LETS START PUSHING" from idiots trying to get through the D line. Nevermind the fact that this was AFTER they made the announcement that the D section was closed. I think for future BDOs the organisers will have to have a think about how they work the area because this year it's been a mess.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

The line up for the d was intense, same shit happened here, wasnt unbearable till we got to the actual gates, jerks pushing from every direction. Made the mistake of lining upo with my gf and my little bro (14), they were fine until we got to the gates at which point they were both getting crushed and there was no turning back.
oh and to the awesome guy who thought it would be fun to just keep shoving a 14 yr old in the back during butterfly effect, you are a f*cking weak piece of shit.
BRING ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutezero View Post
It was brilliant, but I think Wednesday is going to be better. For one I won't be crushed! 6 hours holding my position at the front only to have retards crowd surfing and getting kicked in the head. Couldn't hear Maynard singing, pretty sure because of my position at the front. They all looked like they enjoyed themselves though and gave a group hug at the end.
I wasn't holding it against the crowd surfers, cause most of them were folks that had just been overwhelmed by the crush. Surfing was just the fastest and simplest way out of the mosh. A couple of kids near me fainted and the only way we could get them out was to get them over the top.

I'm unbelievably glad I got gold for Wednesday because the mosh was just an unpleasant one. I think like in most cases it was just a couple of drunk fucks ruining it for everyone but it really did damage the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

This was my first tool concert and i was fairly impressed! i am so excited about wednesday as i have seated tickets and should be able to enjoy the show much more :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpotguy View Post
This was my 4th Big Day Out and most likely be my last.

Tool were great, but their performance was almost outshone by the sheer number of selfish, impatient and thick headed people who swamped the performance.
I along with others was crushed for about 10 - 20 minutes while in line for the entrance to the D barrier, this was on top of the hour and fifteen minutes i was in line. To the fucking meat heads who pushed and shoved not giving a shit about the people around you...

Fuck you.

Everyone around you is in the same situation, so shut up with your fucking whining and belligerent attitudes and start showing some fucking respect and common sense you primitive fucking apes. A little patience wouldn't go astray either.

Tool were great apart from the few hick-ups and the delay. But I didn't appreciate the music as much as i would have liked, I spent the first half of stinkfist trying to stay vertical, (I've got nothing against moshing, just not the hyper aggressive death circles and other unnecessary shit) and later on was trying to see past people blocking the view with cameras, mobile phones and their own fat asses. Because these interruptions and intrusions at he BDO, I am really looking forward to seeing Tool on Wednesday where I can sit down and really enjoy the show without everyone getting on my nerves.

I laughed when Maynard put his jacket back on, I think he was getting cold.
Yeah word, Tool fans are so obnoxious, but the show was great. Is it just me or did maynard sing an extra verse of "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" during aenema?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Couldnt beleive it when i was in my backyard at 9.00 last night in TEMPLESTOWE and i could here 46&2,,must have been loud there:-))

Last edited by aussiemart; 01-29-2007 at 10:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool was bloody awesome!!! My first time seeing them and my first Big Day Out. I enjoyed the whole set. The lighting and visuals were amazing. I thought the sound could have been better but hey nothings perfect.

I think everyone should go have a cry regarding the crowd...its not like you are going to get 10,000 plus juiced up drugged up fuckers in the 'D' to shutup while Maynard is singing. Pushing and shoving is part of any concert and the fact that Tool havent been here in a while makes people desperate...nobody wants to be "outside" when the band they really paid $120 to see is on.

All you lucky bastards who are going on Wednesday will most likely see a far better show but thats what you'd expect...festival performances are never as good. I was unlucky and miss out on those tickets because you see "real" fans bought too many tickets "accidentally" and they wound up on Ebay for fucking $300+ so as you can see alot of people went to big day out as a second option...

Maynard was cold... hence the "welcome to cold day out" being his opening line
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Waited from the end of My Chemical Romance. Waited all day but it was worth it!

I was dead centre against the rail and the crush was incredible. Got my hands on the head of Danny's rack tom and managed to catch one of the water bottles that Maynard threw into the crowd! I think i'll save it for New Years to celebrate or something. Kinda sucked that if you were up close you really couldnt hear Maynard but the rest was awesome!

Highlights were Schism, Sober, Vicarious and Anemia

Looking forward to Wednesday so much.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Well what a show once again Tool out shined all that stood before them even with Maynards high vis vest on. Id never seen so moany tool t-shirts in the same place at the one time. The crowed well fom where i was standing was great and hell whats wrong with people singing to their fav tool song. Even if most of them only could sing the chorus. Anyway bring on the Music bowl what a venue for tool....
Old 01-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #38
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by instagibb View Post
I think everyone should go have a cry regarding the crowd...its not like you are going to get 10,000 plus juiced up drugged up fuckers in the 'D' to shutup while Maynard is singing. Pushing and shoving is part of any concert and the fact that Tool havent been here in a while makes people desperate...nobody wants to be "outside" when the band they really paid $120 to see is on.
I didn't realize that it was unreasonable to go to a concert and actually want to hear the band you're there to see perform...

Also, I'm not sure if thousands of violent arseholes who are just looking to crush and jump on those around them should be excused because they 'really want to see this band' (though I doubt for most that was the case). I just lined up early with everyone else who wanted a good position. Please don't try to justify the behavior of the pricks that made up the vast majority of the crowd.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the gig was awesome, I was to the right about 6 from the front. Guy behind me got a drumstick, you lucky thing! (so close but sooo far away). Thought Maynard was hard to hear too - but totally positional. I loved that everyone was singing along, you can't stop people's excitement. The crowd squish was bearable...and had thinned out a bit half way through the gig where I was. Swamp and 46&2 were my favourites. Loved Adam, he rocks. Think some of you take how you think the band percieves the crowd a little much to heart...they're performers. Maynard doesn't take his jacket on/off because he's cracked the shits...it's nothing to do with us!!! Just enjoy them. I did and can't wait till Wednesday night.
P.S. If I had gold tix, there is NO WAY I'd stay seated for tool. Are you crazy?
Oh and the pain of Jet was worth the pleasure of tool. !
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

If you stand *on* seats at most venues security will usually be along quick smart to haul you down.

and yes, there's a difference between general pushing and shoving and idiots who are being violent just to be violent.

http://www.toolband.com/index_frames.html so that's why Nard mentioned Serena!

Last edited by white horse; 01-29-2007 at 06:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: