opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/16 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dough with Fish View Post
What I can't believe though, was Kansas was luder than us. :( Freaking KANSAS.
Actually, the show was in MISSOURI. Kansas City, MISSOURI.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Fucking amazing! I had seats in lower section of 106, and when we were about to get checked in, they said we needed to go get new tickets, so we walked all the way back to the ticket booths, and they gave us a suite! Directly facing the stage!

All I can say, is FUCKING AMAZING SHOW! Tool sounded great, the visuals for Wings of marie, and 10,000 Days were fucking awesome. Hell even Isis did a damn good job, for the short while that they were playing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy829 View Post
Why do all the reviews look like copy n pastes from previous shows?? I wish they woulda played more old stuff but thats just me. I woulda given my right tit to hear Pushit or Eulogy or Sober live,,,waaaaaaa. Ok enuff whining,,to the chick that lost her wallet in section 110,,,i took a peppermint b4 turning it in, sorry but i had gingivitis mouth goin on. Oh and $43. for a paper thin tshirt is a bit much,,if i wash this and the fucker warps on me im gonna be pissed. But i HAD to have it! ;-) This is my 3rd post addition eh oops, on a brigher note, that was sweet when the whole arena lit up during their little break, not a dark corner in the place.
I hope my post wasn't like a copy and paste! :*( I think I'm gonna keep adding to it as I remember things I want to share with everyone. What tshirt did you get by the way? The black with silver? I ordered the otherone from their website for $25... I tried convincing another chick to get the black and silver one... not sure if she did or not :D I agree that it would have been awesome to see Pushit or Eulogy live - but I was satisfied with what I got... Little disappointed that they didn't deviate from the previous setlists... but I liked it because I knew what was coming.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Okay, where do I begin? Let me start out by saying that TOOL is incredible, and any chance to see them live is a gift. However, this is basically the same set they played at the Orpheum! WTF. Now, I do not want all of you to think that I was not grateful for being at the small clubs tour, but COME ON! They even closed the show with the same song! Don't they even glance at the past set lists to not make that mistake. And, like others have said, some older stuff would have been amazing. Floor was wicked, I was about 5 rows back by Adam and Maynard. There was this stupid brat and her boyfriend that had apparently never been to a concert before and couldn't handle people moving around her. I tried really hard to be nice to her, but no dice...I had to flee! Okay, now that my bitching is done... the visuals were fun, not as crazy as I had hoped (this was only my second TOOL show) I thought the lights were very Alex Gray-esque, and the lasers were really cool-very clean. Did anyone else notice the size of Danny's monitors? Holy shite! I almost cried during Lateralus, OMFG. The picked up Schism was out of this world. Maynard was more talkative than he was at the Orpheum-but way less energetic; that's okay though-thanks for not cancelling the show on account of being sick! This post is getting really long, and I'll stop here, even though there is much to say. Tool continues to be an inspiration to me on a daily basis. Whoooooo!

Where's the drum solo?

p.s. Hello to the cute Juniors from Shoreview that pow-wowed with me before the show-haha!

Last edited by PonderthePossibilities; 09-17-2006 at 06:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #45
adm
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedahn View Post
Fucking amazing! I had seats in lower section of 106, and when we were about to get checked in, they said we needed to go get new tickets, so we walked all the way back to the ticket booths, and they gave us a suite! Directly facing the stage!

All I can say, is FUCKING AMAZING SHOW! Tool sounded great, the visuals for Wings of marie, and 10,000 Days were fucking awesome. Hell even Isis did a damn good job, for the short while that they were playing.
Man, I think you got screwed. We got sent to the ticket booth as well with our e-ticket. Some of the pepople in front of us mentioned that those who were in section 132 got relocated to the suite. I was worried cause my tix were for 130 row J, which are hard to beat. But thank god, the just printed out our new tickets, and there we were...spitting distance from the band. Our seats were pretty fucking perfect.

Helga, we love you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #46
Infinite Panda Ninjality

Bincount™: 333

Incredible. Best concert I've been to. The people in the pit were fucking annoying. There was this one drunk guy who tried flipping a guy over the railing. I also fucking missed Danny's solo in Forty Six & 2 because I was being crushed underneath 30 bodys when everyone up front fell. After that I had had enough so I made my way to the side and was about 3 people back in front of Justin. I remained there for the rest of the show. Now for my review:

ISIS
I was 3 people back, dead center for them, and they were awesome! Although it was very hard to appreciate them as much as I wanted when I just want Tool to play! Very good musicianship.

TOOL

Stinkfist:
Awesome! The extended part was amazing! The moshing wasn't too bad yet, I was still right up front and center.
The Pot:
I don't remember much, but I think Maynard got kind of angry and was telling them to turn the sound down or something. Still sounded good to me.
Forty Six & 2:
I don't remember any of this song! Why? Because of all the assholes in the pit. I spent half of the song falling down and the next half making my way to the side because I was fed up with the god damn moshers. I want to watch the fucking show! Not lay under some huge fat bald guy. And whoever you were fuck you. God damn I wanted to punch you in the face but you were laying on my arms.
Jambi:
One of my favorites for the night! The talk box solo was awesome!
Schism:
Sooooo much better than I had expected! The double time was intense. I REALLY started getting into the show now.
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned:
I was a tad dissapointed when I heard this song start because I knew there was a very small chance that they would play Right In Two now, but it was still amazing. I loved Maynards actions when he was singing!
Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days:
The moment I heard them start this song I went crazy! It was by far the song[s] I was looking forward to the most, and they were so incredibly good! The "Give me my wings" part was phenomenal.
*BREAK*
The band sat on the riser. Everyone took out their lighters. It was awesome.
Lateralus:
By far my favorite song of the show. I was truly euphoric.
Vicarious:
Very cool synth intro. As you've read before a large body builder came on stage and struck poses for about 2 minutes during the song. So so so so funny! Maynard: "Who the fuck was that? That was crrreeepy!" Hahaha. I was laughing so hard. Still very confused about it though.
Ænema:
Maynard: "Peace. The fuck. Out." Straight into "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" I knew this was the last song so I went nuts. That was so awesome during the chorus when everybody was jumping in unison! It was hilarious how he repeated the "Fuck retro anything. Fuck your tattoos. Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories." line 3 times while pointing at us. I wonder if he was trying to say something? Then it ended, and I made my way to a party. Tired and twitchy with a sore throat.

Amazing night.

Last edited by piston390; 09-17-2006 at 11:01 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Man, I think you got screwed. We got sent to the ticket booth as well with our e-ticket. Some of the pepople in front of us mentioned that those who were in section 132 got relocated to the suite. I was worried cause my tix were for 130 row J, which are hard to beat. But thank god, the just printed out our new tickets, and there we were...spitting distance from the band. Our seats were pretty fucking perfect.

Helga, we love you.
Yeah, trust me, I was pissed at first, but the view was fine, and the sound was fucking amazing from the suite. It kinda sucked that we got moved back, but I don't think I got screwed, was still fucking awesome to have our own room and shit like that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #48
adm
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston390 View Post
Lateralus:
By far my favorite song of the show. I was truly euphoric..

Yeah, man. You can't beat Lateralus live. Every time they play that song live, they just fucking nail it. Even though I was really looking forward to the new material, I'll never get sick of Lateralus. Oh another thing, I've never really licked Vicarious that much, but after seeing it performed in front of me, my mind has been changed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #49
adm
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedahn View Post
Yeah, trust me, I was pissed at first, but the view was fine, and the sound was fucking amazing from the suite. It kinda sucked that we got moved back, but I don't think I got screwed, was still fucking awesome to have our own room and shit like that.

Kool man. At least you were THERE! It's all that really matters.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #50
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297

Holy shit, I can die happy now. I thought the boys were fucking spot onm especially justin who just fucking rocked. Everything I can say has been said already, so I won't. The maynardisms were fucking hilarious, and Helga was the shit. I couldn't help but wonder if there was a chance that was Jesse Ventura under that mask, the finest govenor Minnesota has ever seen. Ænema was the highlight for me, loved it when Maynard made a circle pointing at the crowd when he sang "fuck retro anything...." hope I get to see them again, purely mindblowing.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrism70 View Post
Actually, the show was in MISSOURI. Kansas City, MISSOURI.
well maynard called us almost canada... thats, you know, an entirely different country.

made some mushroom tea before the show, drank it at 8, right before i walked in.

my 5th show. i was really worried about there being not much for vocals in the begining, but its progressed pretty well. i was on the floor, and i wished i wouldve gone up to watch some of the show. i missed out on some killer looking visuals, from photos ive seen.

my main complaint on the floor was the sound. my friends in 236 said the sound was dope, i had a really hard time hearing much of the vocals, adam seemed to have the most audible presence. i was right in front of adam two people deep for most of the show, right next to the guy in the cowboy hat. i planned to stay there until i heard 10000 days, and eventually it came. fucking solid. i wouldve really liked to hear right in two played live.

dannys the man. i am in awe every time i see him play.

did it seem like some of the guitar parts during aenima were played a bit differently? i hadnt noticed anyone posting anthing about that in reviews for other shows...i couldnt tell if it was just different effects working, or if they were maybe playing small parts backwards or something...

overall, great show. right behind the chicago lateralus pre tour show and ozzfest 98 (third eye, i mean, come on...)

if anyone has pics from this show, PLEASE POST THEM. video would be great, too.

Last edited by carl_mplstpl; 09-17-2006 at 11:19 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Kool man. At least you were THERE! It's all that really matters.
Agreed! :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #53
adm
Level 3 - Talker

OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
All I can Say is Dissapointed, Maynard Had no Energy the rest of the Band was Fucking great, The Visuals did not kick in Till Wings, Maynard interacted but the Screens were right behind the band so if you were on the floor near the sound stage Good luck seeing it, The Back drop stayed Pitch Black til half way thru, I have seen Tool Eight times since 1996 and this was by far the WORST FOR ME! was not expecting Rushing the stage and Huge Pits But Prior Tool Shows were more based on the Music and the Stage act ( Maynards Dancing, Stage Props Nude people dangling from Wires, Big Screens with odd shit playin to the music) Thats a Tool Show sure Maynard took his hat and shirt off and then put it back on then off again and joked around about Smelly Breath but it just lacked something (Kinda Like the new album) But otherwise ISIS and TOOL sounded great wings was great Live along with the Pot, Jambi would have liked to have heard Right in Two and Sober But they are not Juke Box's so I got what got , Along with 15 Huge Posters sorry for those who wanted one and I bought what was left you can get them from me on eBay. LOL!!!!!!!
Ummmmmmm............................Duh........... ......................yah..........o.k
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #55
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1163

All I can say about the merch is...I refused to pay $40+ for shirts that you will be able to soon find on Ebay for $10.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy829 View Post
Why do all the reviews look like copy n pastes from previous shows?? I wish they woulda played more old stuff but thats just me. I woulda given my right tit to hear Pushit or Eulogy or Sober live,,,waaaaaaa. Ok enuff whining,,to the chick that lost her wallet in section 110,,,i took a peppermint b4 turning it in, sorry but i had gingivitis mouth goin on. Oh and $43. for a paper thin tshirt is a bit much,,if i wash this and the fucker warps on me im gonna be pissed. But i HAD to have it! ;-) This is my 3rd post addition eh oops, on a brigher note, that was sweet when the whole arena lit up during their little break, not a dark corner in the place.
sober was sweet at the oprheum in may, too bad they didnt have it again this time around, oh well, i'm def going to see them we they come back around on this tour, hopefully playing the xcel next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

Well, I must say that it was a great show.

Just about every thing about it has been mentioned so far (except for the fact that when that guy was dancing on stage it sounded like Maynard was singing "Bye, Sexually I live while the whole world dies"......which he should have been saying seeing as how much of his stage antics reminded me of something out of "Midnight Cowboy". A guy near me seemed to be all excited that it may have ment "bi-sexually", but I don't think so.)

Really, I had a pretty deep experiance at this show. The deepest my soul has ever been touched at a Tool show. I seemed to have placed my mind in two places at the same time. One was the interested observer and the other was engrossed in the collecitve experiance everyone was enjoying.

The pot and jambi seem to be becoming more and more relatable every day. I swear I experianced "Samadhi" durring "10,000 Days".

However the one complant I have is completly centered around the odd "expression" of the crowd. You read about the moshing all of the time on these reviews, but I happened to be sitting up high and the only thing I could notice is that everywhere I looked around me there was at least one seriously un-happy person. How the hell is the band supose to feed off of the energy if your sitting there dumbed and confused. Then all of a sudden when the band dediced to sit down durring the intermission the crowd realizes with wave-like precission that they should start getting into the show.

From there on the show was at its peak. Hell, the fat chick I was behind went from mild epileptic "rocking" in the beggining to becoming just as active and expressive as Maynard was durring the 2001 show I went to in Madison. Reminded me of Undertow and how that tour could have defintly used "Swamp Song", "Undertow", or "4 Degrees". (Justin can play that stuff, right?)

Or if you skiped this whole rambling just open up "The Book of Lies" and read "The
Gun-Barrel". THAT is what I left with.

I left knowing I had a great time and many others didn't. Perhaps for the next show they should screen some puppies flying around in clouds while the rodies set up.

Thank you Tool.
6K9

Last edited by the_himog; 09-17-2006 at 12:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #58
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

No , I let the real fans that want to see the show pay the ticket price, I do not think I have never paid under 100$ a ticket to see Tool at a Large venue except back in '98 but for a 70-100$ for a Poster online well that paid for the whole drive from Eau Claire and the ticket to see them play. Thats for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsotapop View Post
GFY Asshat , did you scalp some tickets too?

Another thing concert wise I forgot to mention:
after Stinkfist Maynard went over to the side of the stage and talked to one of the Techs and then during the next song or so he was making motions to them about something. He looked pissed that something wasn't working right. I'm not sure if it was the visuals or his sound/mic or what. He was wearing an IPOD looking thing on his left arm for his in-ear piece but I don't think that was the problem. I think he changed mike stands after 46&2 so maybe that was the problem.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

You must have seen the show after when everyone else left, Guess we are not entitled our own opinion based on our personal experiences. Glad the education systems are working in Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILGORETROUT View Post
Ummmmmmm............................Duh........... ......................yah..........o.k
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #60
adm
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavs01 View Post
You must have seen the show after when everyone else left, Guess we are not entitled our own opinion based on our personal experiences. Glad the education systems are working in Minnesota
Pretty bold words coming from someone who can't formulate a proper sentence himself.

But I agree with your point on opinions. If someone said that show last night was terrible, who I am I to say their experiance is wrong?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #61
Level 3 - Talker

I am still trying to recover after that show. Simply put, it was amazing. The songs they played were pretty much everything I was expecting. I was concerned when Maynard dipped out in the begining a couple times, but after that he was spot on for pretty much the rest of the show. Only thing that spoiled the show for me was the fucking wanker behind me. I was in 138 Row L and about when Wings started, this guy sits down, and then I can hear him yelling "SIT DOWN!" during the whole performance, at me, despite the fact that almost everyone in the place was standing. Then he starts spitting water at me or something, and taps me and the guy next to me and tells us to sit down and spread the word so the whole section sits down. Yeah right buddy. Then later during Lateralus, I tried taking some pics with my phone an he gets all on my case about that. Point is, that fucker distracted me from some of the highlights of the show, and after Aenema went out with a bang I turned around to tell him to go to hell or something, and he had already left. Wow, I am sure none of you wanted to read that heh, well, you know who you are, you fucking wanker.

The show ruled. Jambi left me senseless. I never liked Schism a lot, but it was bomb as hell live. Hope they come back soon.

Last edited by ravener; 09-17-2006 at 01:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #62
adm
Level 3 - Talker

Jambi made me moist
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

By the way, does anyone know what songs Isis played? I had never heard them before but a friend told me they were good. They were absolutley awesome, reminded me of Explosions in the Sky, only metal and with some singing (ok, screaming).
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #64
Infinite Panda Ninjality

Bincount™: 333

I know they started off with "So Did We" and the rest I didn't know.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

4th time. great show. danny is an animal. justin stole the show. adam did his adam thing. maynard is a cynical bastard. highlight was 10,000 days.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #66
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravener View Post
I was concerned when Maynard dipped out in the begining a couple times, but after that he was spot on for pretty much the rest of the show. Only thing that spoiled the show for me was the fucking wanker behind me. I was in 138 Row L and about when Wings started, this guy sits down, and then I can hear him yelling "SIT DOWN!" during the whole performance, at me, despite the fact that almost everyone in the place was standing.
I too was concerned when MJK dropped out and let the boys take over, I thought "oh great, he's gonna half ass this show" man was I wrong. And I was also surprised the crowd was standing the whole time, not that I didn't mind it and I probably got a better recording from standing anyway. lol
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston390 View Post
Incredible. Best concert I've been to. The people in the pit were fucking annoying. There was this one drunk guy who tried flipping a guy over the railing. I also fucking missed Danny's solo in Forty Six & 2 because I was being crushed underneath 30 bodys when everyone up front fell. After that I had had enough so I made my way to the side and was about 3 people back in front of Justin. I remained there for the rest of the show. Now for my review:

Then it ended, and I made my way to a party. Tired and twitchy with a sore throat.

Amazing night.
Yeah I was two guys away from the dude that was getting flipped... Drunk ass tried to tell the put crew that he had gotten there first, when in reality the guys I was by were there before I was. I wasn't paying enough attention, but did he get kicked out?

Sounds like you had a helluva night though :) I completely agree with what you said about Lateralus though, the entire experience was extremely euphoric for me... I keep going over everything I can remember... Don't want to forget with that short memory of mine! ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhowe02 View Post
I too was concerned when MJK dropped out and let the boys take over, I thought "oh great, he's gonna half ass this show" man was I wrong. And I was also surprised the crowd was standing the whole time, not that I didn't mind it and I probably got a better recording from standing anyway. lol
Yeah he didn't really dip out, he was bitching at the sound guys. Looked pretty pissed about it. I don't blame him though, the vocals were extremely weak during Stinkfist.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieta View Post
Yeah he didn't really dip out, he was bitching at the sound guys. Looked pretty pissed about it. I don't blame him though, the vocals were extremely weak during Stinkfist.
Yeah I noticed that. Right after Stinkfist started I thought to myself... where is Maynard? I could kind of hear him, but I could hear the crowd singing along better (which was pretty cool). I thought maybe he was stopping because of his illness. Guess not though, because he sounded a TON better after the first few songs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #70
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

The ass sweat after this show was incredible. my under drawers were literally soaking, Im not sure what to think.

I hope my ears stop ringing soon.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #71
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulier View Post
It was all good. Justin was the star though, I mean, they way his bass sounded and how he played it was inspiring. Amazing. The white stage was cool and I too noticed those blue booties the techs et al were wearing pre-show. I was trying to figure out why 'cause it looked kind funny. Some guys were wearing just socks during setup. Well, I have never seen before what they did with the floor - it was like killer, so trippy and mesmerizing.
I'm pretty sure they were wearing the booties to protect the stage overlay. Arena's aren't known for having super clean floors. And dragging that mat around from city to city. Well, they probably just want it to stay as clean as possible. I'm sure the clean, shiny white works better than a dull, dingy light tan for displaying the stage projections.

And in a nod to someone elses post, who the fuck walks around a show barefoot? Much less on the floor of an arena? I had an ex-gf who HAD to take her shoes off when we'd go out drinking and dancing. Then one night her $200 boots weren't there at the end of the night. ....And I had to carry her, read: carry her, 3 blocks through downtown back to the car. Keep in mind, neither of us were, um... sober? Talk about a fun time at 3am with all kinds of shifty people watching us.

Anyhow, HAHA, Kansas City was louder... HAHA. No hard feelings though, right? I really needed that show. And after the San Antonio show, I was scared. When they finally got to KC, well- It was such a catharasis just to let it all out... hehe, almost Canada... ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #72
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 2

It was a great show.....I missed the first 3 songs, b/c i missed my turn.....Stopped at a gas station, asked the dude where the target center was.....he said, take 120th and turn right........nope, just a fucking SUPER TARGET.....stopped there and asked how to get to the t.c......i really wish i had gotten seats instead of G.A.....always next time.

The show at the Orpheum was amazing just b/c it was a small venue, and I hadn't seen them since the lateralus tour. 4th Tool concert for me. It was a long drive from Iowa all by myself.....and to think, I was thinking about not going....what the hell was going through my head.

Ohh, one last thing...I was to the left of the sound board, by the "entrance" to the open side of the backstage pass place. Two dudes, not sure if they were gay, which is cool if they were.....or maybe they took some X....but they were hugging excessively, ass grabbing, etc.....they were talking, and not paying much attention to the show for the most part....until the end. That was my rant.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

This was not only my first TOOL concert but my first concert as well. And I shall now die a happy person for seeing them in concert Though I would die even happier if I could get to see them again.

I don't know what everyone else there thought, but after they got the audio working properly I thought it was a fucking amazing performance. I thought once the sound got working properly that they sounded PERFECT!

Spectacular show in every aspect, though I wish I could have been able to see Danny playing a little better he is a fucking freak on the drums!

No regrets! well worth the $206 bucks for 3 tix.

Kansas may have been louder but my ears are still ringing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
The ass sweat after this show was incredible. my under drawers were literally soaking, Im not sure what to think.

I hope my ears stop ringing soon.
I was covered from head to thigh in pit sweat after all that too. Earlier today my right eardrum started having this rapid thudding sound that wouldn't go away... The bass was so god damn loud.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm amazed at the positive/glowing reviews of this show. This was my 7th Tool show and was by far the worst. Maynard standing with his arms crossed at the beginning refusing to sing reminded me of a Gene Simmons bass solo when he pouts to get the fans cheering, this is not what I pay money to see! The sound quality and effort did pick up at the 4th song (Jambi) and continued to improve for the remainder of the show...but what a poor start! Maybe it is that they've set the bar so high it is easy to be dissapointed but this was far from the best show ever comments filling this thread!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #76
Level 3 - Talker

I imagine in comparison to other shows it was lacking, but it was my first show, and it was every bit as awesome as I had hoped it would be. I think Maynard had a right to be pissed when he stopped singing, up until that point it really didn't sound that great, and he probably knew it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

i thought orpheum show in may was better sound wise, last nights show was amazing visually, if i was on some shrooms, i couldnt handle that visual attack, i thought maynard was gonna fing leave after stinkfist, i think the techs had some adam issues, but after that, they sounded great, wings and rosetta were great, the after encore 3 were fricking briliant, the audience, the security, and everything else were great too. no bad things about the whole night except for the first 15 minute sound issues, helga was funny as hell.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

That was my first Tool concert and, wow, holy shit!

First of all, ISIS played 4-5 songs, but they all seemed to mesh together. There weren't many lyrics and when he did sing something it was inaudible.

Tool took the stage at about 9:05 and played till almost 11:00. "Hello almost Canada", then right into Stinkfist. He then went into The Pot, sang 1 line then everyone else sang another. He didn't sing the whole song, nor did he sing the high spots in 46 & 2. I was getting a little apprehensive about that he would be like that for the rest of the show but my fears were laid to rest.

The band killed during Jambi and during Schism they did the sped up middle part just as in the previous shows. I had been reading the previous post from other shows so I knew what was coming next so I was almost wishing the would end Schism soon.

Once he was stationed at the keyboards and the first note was played, I knew it was time. I don't know this for sure, but I will probably never see them play these 2 songs ever again. It was 10,000 times better in person than on the album. You could see the emotion they were playing with. Of course I was the only one signing in my section, since the teenies behind me were like "what the fuck is this shit". I guess they don't know true art when they see it. Give me my, give me my wiiiinnnnnggggsss!!!!! Fucking breathtaking.

The rest of the show was pumped with so much energy you could feel the vibe running through the Target Center. During the break, I couldn't tell who had their lighter on stage, but everyone followed suit and lit up. That was a sight. Chills down my spine.

He said something like "holy shit", "Kansas city was much louder", "damm, you have gingivitis your mouth smells like shit, close it. I didn't say louder was better, just that Kansas was louder" then right into Lateralus. Blew my fucking mind, so much more powerful live then hearing it through my car speakers. Vicarious was so tight and the perfect night capper in Ænema. Before Ænema The Rev. said "Peaces the fuck out. Hey, hey, hey, hey ..."

Someone already mentioned it but before one of the songs Maynard said, "This song is dedicated to my best friend in the whole world, Mike Vann" Not sure who that is but anyway...

So, overall, the band played the tightest sounding set I have ever heard from a band. Of course it helps that Tool is the best band ever. Thanks for coming so close to Canada guys.

Last edited by sec136h6; 09-17-2006 at 06:55 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second show, and although it had its awesome parts, the consistency and raw emotion was not the same as the first time I saw them in 2002.

ISIS was awesome. Great energy, great sound, and the vocals were 100 times better than they sound on the CD. They played the first track from Panopticon, then three songs from their new album (I think they were numbers 3, 5, and 7). All in all they did a great job for the short amount of time they were allotted. I know 99% of the people were there only to see Tool, but I would've liked to hear another song or two from ISIS. If you're catching a show on this tour, make sure you get there early to see their set.

ISIS was done by about 8:35. Tool finally took the stage around 9:10, with Maynard saying "Good Evening, Almost Canada." With that they jumped into Stinkfist. The sound was muddy, the vocals were hard to hear and it just didn't seem to blend well together. After it ended Maynard seemed to be yelling at/to the sound guys on the side. They quickly jumped into The Pot which sounded a little better, that is until Maynard quit singing about 3/4 of the way through. At this point I figured we were in for another MJK prima donna session. I was thinking then about the AZ reviews and was wondering if some dipshit threw something at him. Him singing with whatever problem he was having is still better than him standing there doing nothing with his arms crossed.

Forty six and 2 started and he put his jacket back on, standing silently behind the microphone with his arms crossed. He finally graced us with an attempt, but would quit singing during the chorus, the most intense and best part of the song. The whole "Listen to my muscle memory" section wasn't sung, as well as the whole last section. The band sounded great, but it's not the song without the vocals. Total effort from Danny, Justin, and Adam, but half-assed bullshit from Maynard on one of my favorite songs.

MJK graced us with his presence in Jambi, but something just didn't sound right. This is one of my favorite songs off the new album, but it didn’t have the same kick in the ass live. I don't know if it was the trouble they were having in the earlier songs, but something wasn't clicking. Adam's talkbox solo was awesome though. It really started to pick up during Schism, however. That was the turning point for the show, in my opinion. Great energy, everyone was into it and the sped up section was just awesome.

Maynard sat down behind a speaker for Lost Keys, then stood up and got the megaphone contraption on for Rosetta Stoned. I know this is part of the point for using that, but you couldn't make out a single word of what he was saying, even more muddled than on the studio recording. It was good though. If/when I catch them on the next tour I wouldn't mind trading this one in for some earlier stuff off of Undertow.

Wings 1 is when they finally broke out the lasers. Really, really cool. It may sound cheesy but it was awesome. They had these dark clouds rotating on the backdrop which was cool too. Then a smooth transition into Wings 2. Holy shit that was amazing. Absolutely breathtaking. Everything was perfect. Everyone had their shit together, just fucking awesome. It was the best song of the night by far. I liked it on the CD but to hear it live is just...wow. My appreciation for that song shot up tenfold last night.

Following that they came out and sat on Maynard's stoop, talking and watching the crowd go apeshit. The lighters came out and illuminated the arena. Cliché, but cool.

Maynard had a few words with the crowd. "Well, Kansas was louder." Everyone started screaming even louder. "I didn't say louder was better, just that they were louder." More cheering, then he said something about bad breath and gingivitis.

They went back to their spots and the crescendo of Lateralus began. Next to Wings 1 and 2, this was the best song of the night. I mean it doesn't get any better than Lateralus live. Everything was spot on, Danny was kicking ass, Justin was doing his headbanging thing, Adam was right on. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Vicarious was next and as mentioned before, some bodybuilder came out in a mask and pink tutu, striking poses in the middle of the stage while the band played. Kinda weird, but okay. Following the song, Maynard said something to the effect of "Who the fuck was that?" Crowd cheers. "Actually that was Helga, the Russia beauty pageant winner of 1960. See kids, that's what steroids will do to you." Paraphrasing, but that was the gist.

With "Peace. The Fuck. Out" from Maynard they launched into Aenema. The crowd was going crazy, it was awesome. Lights and lasers were flying everywhere, I just didn't want it to end. Following the song (about 10:35) they threw the water bottles into the crowd, Danny's drumsticks and the things from the drums that had the set list on them. Maynard was the first to exit stage left (right from the audience POV), while Adam, Danny, and Justin stayed on stage, waving to the crowd and absorbing the energy from them. They really seemed appreciative of the fans, which was cool to see. After a couple of minutes of this, Justin and Danny left, and Adam soon followed.

All in all, it WAS a great show. Wings and Lateralus were insanely good. I hoped to hear Right In Two but wasn't really expecting it. Hopefully they'll switch it up on the next tour. My only complaint was the first couple songs of the set list. It seems like they were using those as the sound check, i.e. Maynard standing there as the other three kicked ass. I don't want an instrumental version of Forty six and 2, I want the whole thing. If that makes me greedy, wanting to hear the song as it was written, well then, fuck me. They made up for it with the rest of the set, and I'll definitely catch them on their next (hopefully) tour, but I can't help but think how a great concert could've been spectacular.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

KICK ASS SHOW, WOULD GO AGAIN

Last edited by TimDrakeMN; 09-17-2006 at 07:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: